PDA

View Full Version : Big Hits Broken Dreams on CNN

Cam
01-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Did anybody see this last night on CNN? It was all about concussions and the need to have certified trainers at every teams sideline. I can't remember the NFL player who was interviewed but this guy is donating his brain when he passes for research as he is suffering from post concussion side effects. When asked if he would let his son play football, he said NO! Show was interesting and pretty scary to watch as a parent. Maybe baseball is the way to go for my last kid......then again, if he has my baseball luck, he'll take one on the noggin' and get a concussion anyway! How do ya'll feel about this subject?

the genious
01-30-2012, 11:17 PM
Well unless the kid plays in the NFL I don't think you have anything to worry about... You have to look at the caliber of athlete doing the damage in the NFL.. there isn't many of those in high school... And football in highschool is more than just a game it's a social ordeal where bonds are made for the rest of their lives!!

Txbroadcaster
01-30-2012, 11:20 PM
Well unless the kid plays in the NFL I don't think you have anything to worry about... You have to look at the caliber of athlete doing the damage in the NFL.. there isn't many of those in high school... And football in highschool is more than just a game it's a social ordeal where bonds are made for the rest of their lives!!

Actually the report he is talking about proves the exact opposite. That kids in HS football get a shocking amount of concussions and brain injury

the genious
01-30-2012, 11:54 PM
Actually the report he is talking about proves the exact opposite. That kids in HS football get a shocking amount of concussions and brain injury
Really? Wow that's interesting I didn't know that.. Ima have to read this.. I wonder if there is a link

Aesculus gilmus
01-31-2012, 07:14 AM
I was listening to some sports commentators yesterday talking about the Pro Bowl game (which I never watch) and all its safety restrictions. They concluded that the game should eventually just go to "flag football" rules. That's where we're headed at every level.

I think one of the problems is that the players just got too large. When I was growing up, Gilmer RARELY had a player who weighed over 200 pounds. It stood out on the roster whenever there was one.

Leopard4Life
01-31-2012, 09:40 AM
CNN posted the teaser:

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/sports/2011/11/11/gupta-big-hits-broken-dreams-trailer.cnn#/video/sports/2011/11/11/gupta-big-hits-broken-dreams-trailer.cnn

Roughneck93
01-31-2012, 09:53 AM
Big Hits, Broken Dreams will re-air this Saturday at 7pm and 10pm.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-sanjay-gupta/football-head-injuries-concussions_b_1231909.html

Old LB
01-31-2012, 01:31 PM

Had several concussions in high school, coaches did not let me continue to play afterward though. Always played the following week, Doesn't seem doesn't seem doesn't seem to affect me now though. :)

Cam
01-31-2012, 01:51 PM
Had several concussions in high school, coaches did not let me continue to play afterward though. Always played the following week, Doesn't seem doesn't seem doesn't seem to affect me now though. :)

somebody needs to talk to Old LB again!!....first, he thinks havin' 3 testicles is normal, and now this!!:eek:

lv2937
02-01-2012, 09:44 AM
Cam, in softball practice yesterday, a girl was warming up swinning the bat. anoter girl was talking and not paying attention where she was going. walked right into the girl swinning the bat. out for a while with a concussion.

raider red 2000
02-01-2012, 04:58 PM
i have heard that there are more concussions in basketball than there are in football.....not sure where i heard it.

also, i heard that one way to reduce concussions is to take face masks off of helmets.

Ville-D
03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
For those of you who didn't get to see this and were still interested... Someone posted the whole video on YouTube. The audio cuts out from about 10 min to about 12 min, but other than that it is all there.

http://goo.gl/Q1Lyk

defense51
03-28-2012, 09:23 AM
somebody needs to talk to Old LB again!!....first, he thinks havin' 3 testicles is normal, and now this!!:eek:
As long as one isn't larger than the other two it's completely normal.

Gsquared
03-28-2012, 12:38 PM
As long as one isn't larger than the other two it's completely normal.
There's a movie about this, ET

Gone Fishing
03-28-2012, 03:21 PM
I played in the mid 70's. We called it "getting your bell rung." Believe it or not our coaches ( all three of them!! ) had smelly sauce. Once you got your bell rung and a little smelly sauce they sent your ass right back in! Maybe thats why I can't figure out how to use my I phone....