PDA

View Full Version : Best sign of a good AD/Head FB coach

Blue42
01-27-2012, 01:28 PM
Not just winning #s
I would have to say the # of kids that come out sports.

Cam
01-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Number of kids would definitely be one sign. Last season Burnet only suited up 21 players for one game. And even without injuries usually only suited up 28 or so.
Another sign is seeing team unity and compassion for each other. I've seen too much of the seniors not getting along with the juniors/sophs and vice-versa.
The kids need to respect their head coach. I know at least one story last season where an injured kid mentioned he was healthy enough to come back but decided he didn't want to play for that coach anymore! So, he faked it and ended his senior football career on the sidelines....geez......
Man, I'm really hoping new Coach Jones get this kinda stuff fixed!

Leopard4Life
01-27-2012, 02:22 PM
Number of kids would definitely be one sign. Last season Burnet only suited up 21 players for one game. And even without injuries usually only suited up 28 or so.
Another sign is seeing team unity and compassion for each other. I've seen too much of the seniors not getting along with the juniors/sophs and vice-versa.
The kids need to respect their head coach. I know at least one story last season where an injured kid mentioned he was healthy enough to come back but decided he didn't want to play for that coach anymore! So, he faked it and ended his senior football career on the sidelines....geez......

Good luck, in a good way. Hopefully things will turn back around.

waterboy
01-27-2012, 02:26 PM
The signs of a good coach to me are: 1) not only gets a good number of kids wanting to play, but keeps them involved enough to stay on the team, 2) instills character in the way they play, AND the way they live, 3) instills good work ethic, 4) players get along, and a have a fair shake at getting to play, 5) gets the most out of his players' talents, 6) molds the team around their skill sets, and 7) successful on the field AND off the field (sports and academics).

Blue42
01-27-2012, 02:34 PM
I like leading by example do as I do.

ccmom
01-27-2012, 04:50 PM
The signs of a good coach to me are: 1) not only gets a good number of kids wanting to play, but keeps them involved enough to stay on the team, 2) instills character in the way they play, AND the way they live, 3) instills good work ethic, 4) players get along, and a have a fair shake at getting to play, 5) gets the most out of his players' talents, 6) molds the team around their skill sets, and 7) successful on the field AND off the field (sports and academics).

:iagree:

Dogman_1969
01-27-2012, 05:35 PM

This should be job requirements and what folks look for in a coach. Usually if you find a good team that goes on deep playoff runs every year then the majority of these items that you listed are present.

cookiemonster
01-28-2012, 07:55 PM
Wow Cam you have to be kidding. The numbers at Burnet have gone up during Coach Walkers tenure due to the fat that they began to play more teams in the JH and added a 9th Grade B Team. They had low numbers on Varsity this year but not in the total program. The situation with the kid faking the injury sounds like an Easy way out of a tough situation and a learned response of blaming someone else. Adults who were privy to this situation missed a great time to help this child grow as a young man. I too hope Coach Jones does well but I also think Coach Walker deserves alot of credit for what he was able to do.

Ernest T Bass
01-29-2012, 01:12 PM

From what Ive heard, things like this are why Shipley left in the first place. He saw these changes in the kids and decided to get while the gettin' was good.

Additup
01-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Jr Highs do things the way the HS coaches need them done at the Jr. High - schemes, practice organization, weight room, kids playing multiple sports and dicipline are all aligned.
AD answers to Superintendent and works WITH Jr high and HS principals.

YTBulldogs
01-29-2012, 01:46 PM
I agree with previous post's. And, we here are blessed cause we are now doing most of what's suggested finally here in Yoakum. Results will not happen over night, and our Supt and board understand that. But, you can see the progress towards the goal happening with Coach Kornegay system in place the past few years. It's coming.

buckeyebob
01-31-2012, 06:18 AM

...and not going to Lee!

Cam
01-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Wow Cam you have to be kidding. The numbers at Burnet have gone up during Coach Walkers tenure due to the fat that they began to play more teams in the JH and added a 9th Grade B Team. They had low numbers on Varsity this year but not in the total program. The situation with the kid faking the injury sounds like an Easy way out of a tough situation and a learned response of blaming someone else. Adults who were privy to this situation missed a great time to help this child grow as a young man. I too hope Coach Jones does well but I also think Coach Walker deserves alot of credit for what he was able to do.

You're right Cookie...I probably over-reacted a bit on my thoughts just because of a few incidences that I happened to be clued-in on. As for roster sizes, it's true that the numbers on the freshmen team were up. That was a pretty large team. Let's hope most of em' stick with it. When my son was playing, I remember alot of freshmen hangin' up the cleats after that frosh season. Not sure why. As for Walker, he was nothing but fair to my kid throughout middle school and varsity. I'm sure he was the same way with everyone else. He is a good person. Maybe sometimes just too nice! I remember one trouble-makin' mom hanging on him all the way from the practice field to the locker rooms trying to get her two-cents in about her son...Greendawg, I'm sure you know what mom I'm talkin' about!!....lol...man, don't know if I woulda handled it as nicely as Walker did...a very patient man indeed...

greendawg84
01-31-2012, 01:16 PM
You're right Cookie...I probably over-reacted a bit on my thoughts just because of a few incidences that I happened to be clued-in on. As for roster sizes, it's true that the numbers on the freshmen team were up. That was a pretty large team. Let's hope most of em' stick with it. When my son was playing, I remember alot of freshmen hangin' up the cleats after that frosh season. Not sure why. As for Walker, he was nothing but fair to my kid throughout middle school and varsity. I'm sure he was the same way with everyone else. He is a good person. Maybe sometimes just too nice! I remember one trouble-makin' mom hanging on him all the way from the practice field to the locker rooms trying to get her two-cents in about her son...Greendawg, I'm sure you know what mom I'm talkin' about!!....lol...man, don't know if I woulda handled it as nicely as Walker did...a very patient man indeed...

Dude , you could hear that lady screaming 100 yards away! Will agree , he must have a heck of a lot of patients to put up with that one! Bad thing is , she was not the only one in his ear all the time , but hell thats why they pay the AD the big bucks right !

Cam , she was more upset that the lady at MF that you angered. :)

Cam
01-31-2012, 01:20 PM
From what Ive heard, things like this are why Shipley left in the first place. He saw these changes in the kids and decided to get while the gettin' was good.

I think I over-reacted with my comments because of a few things I heard from a few isolated incidences. If my memory serves me correct, you're the fella that once said Bob told you in a personal conversation that Burnet just didn't have those big tough country boys anymore. (or something to that effect)...Which is one of the reasons Bob left....hmmm:thinking:.......so let me understand this, Bob decided to leave Burnet to suburbia Coppell cause Coppell was loaded with calf-ropin', boot wearin', corn-bread eatin', bronco bustin' country boys!!....I don't think so!.......He left for other reasons.....
Burnet is no different than any other small town in Texas. Good folks and good kids with a few bad apples here and there (like Greendawg!).....I wouldn't take my kids out of Burnet for nothin'!!

Additup
02-01-2012, 05:17 AM
Coaches move for 3 good reasons - 1) more money 2) better situation (community/administration/school board support for athletics, coaches teaching schedules, hiring/firing, Jr highs) and 3) an abundance of athletes relative to other schools in the area.
2 of 3 is a good move, 3 of 3 happens once a career, 1 of 3 or moving for the A's means you'll be looking to move again in 2 years or sooner. Mr. Shipley thought Coppell was better than Burnet in 2 of the 3 or he'd have stayed put. He. Thinks Brownwood is better than Burnet in 2 of the 3 or he'd be back.

Ernest T Bass
02-01-2012, 07:08 AM
Mr. Shipley thought Coppell was better than Burnet in 2 of the 3 or he'd have stayed put. He. Thinks Brownwood is better than Burnet in 2 of the 3 or he'd be back.

Shipley left Burnet b/c he saw the deterioration in the kids that many on here talk about today. Decided he liked small, football towns better, so packed up and went to Brownwood.

BEAST
02-01-2012, 09:14 AM
Shipley left Burnet b/c he saw the deterioration in the kids that many on here talk about today. Decided he liked small, football towns better, so packed up and went to Brownwood.

Not to mention they have family here.

BEAST

greendawg84
02-01-2012, 09:20 AM
:iagree:

Cowboy_Up
02-01-2012, 08:14 PM
Good coaches make it about the journey, not the destination. Its a pithy statement, but so true. A winning journey is about winning in everything you do in preparation to compete at the highest level possible. Its a way of life and good coaches instill that way of thinking in everything they do and expect it from their staffs, their players, their administrators, and their communities. Good coaches are not afraid of losing and only fear entering a contest un-prepared. Most of all they do not confuse activity with achievement. They know the difference.