PDA

View Full Version : What 3A school does more with less...

jockcity33
01-24-2012, 03:39 PM
and what 3A schools consistantly do less with more?

Emerson1
01-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Celina. They are always usually smaller and slower.

buckeyebob
01-24-2012, 07:30 PM
Buckeyes...when was the last time you heard of them in Track & Field...we are slow...our fastest are timed with an alarm clock.

Rabid Cougar
01-24-2012, 08:01 PM
Celina. They are always usually smaller and slower.

Yea... sure... Two starters on Okie State's D and starting Safety on Penn State off the same team..... I would agree if it was at UMHB or McMurry.

Yoe_09
01-24-2012, 08:03 PM
Yea... sure... Two starters on Okie State's D and starting Safety on Penn State off the same team..... I would agree if it was at UMHB or McMurry.

I would say more along the lines of ETBU.

regaleagle
01-25-2012, 01:30 AM
I would say Carrollton Ranchview consistently underachieves for the size of the school. They do not play in a tough football district(12-3a), but rarely make the playoffs. Same in the other sports. The problem is they have some good athletes. Now I know there are other schools with worse overall programs and won/loss records, but for what they have, they seem to consistently come up short. Case in point is one of their district members, Fort Worth Polytechnic. But no one expects Poly to be very competitive in any of the main sports. Ranchview is right there in all the sports, with good coaches and athletes. I keep waiting for them to show up big, but they always seem to fall just short. And the enrollment is 800+. JMO.

bobcat4life
01-25-2012, 07:03 PM
Gainesville. They have more talent walking the halls than any 3a school in the state

Leopard4Life
01-25-2012, 08:03 PM
Lovejoy. Successful sports programs for boys and girls across the board and hardly any D1 recruits in any sport. We are now getting some volleyball players that are D1 commits (Iowa and USC). We have had a few football players walk on D1, but no recruits. I’m not 100% sure about baseball/softball.

Tons of academic scholarships but hardly any athletic…

bigwood33
01-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Lovejoy. Successful sports programs for boys and girls across the board and hardly any D1 recruits in any sport. We are now getting some volleyball players that are D1 commits (Iowa and USC). We have had a few football players walk on D1, but no recruits. I’m not 100% sure about baseball/softball.

Tons of academic scholarships but hardly any athletic…
Lovejoy, more with less, sorry but that's too funny :spitlol: Mostly 1 sport kids in brand new, state of the art facilities and an enrollment that has had 4A numbers for the last 2 years. Try sharing athletes. Our boys basketball team has 13 kids, 9 play football and 8 will play baseball and 7 will run track and 2 are in the marching band. It is much the same for our girls.
Oh, no personal trainers either for most 3A kids.

Argyle is as good or better with half the enrollment.
At the 2A level, Gunter comes to mind. Really good programs with both the girls and boys and they have average at best, facilities and many of their kids are economically disadvantaged but have a great work ethic.

warpath
01-25-2012, 10:02 PM
I'm gonna call BS on that statement... Evidently ,you haven't walked their halls lately..Every possible athlete is out I promise...Gainesville has had a ton of students move away or transfer..If you brought the kids back from Denton,Lindsay,Callisburg, Era and Valley View, they would be great year in and year out..Unless you have walked those hall, you don't know.. I have walked them...
Gainesville. They have more talent walking the halls than any 3a school in the state

Blastoderm55
01-25-2012, 10:11 PM
Sinton. In the early 2000s they had a few classes with extraordinary athletes (Charles, Alaniz, Schmidt, Ruiz, and co), but since, they've just had great kids who played hard and coaches who put them in a position to be successful.

Tres Lobos
01-25-2012, 11:59 PM
I think monahans does tons with not the best athletes. The kids know the system and coach Owens has inserted a winning mentality into their heads. In other sports we are always good too. Volleyball program is one of the states best and I can only think of 2 D1 players in the last 10 years and they were 6 years apart from each other.

Leopard4Life
01-26-2012, 11:06 AM
Lovejoy, more with less, sorry but that's too funny :spitlol: Mostly 1 sport kids in brand new, state of the art facilities and an enrollment that has had 4A numbers for the last 2 years. Try sharing athletes. Our boys basketball team has 13 kids, 9 play football and 8 will play baseball and 7 will run track and 2 are in the marching band. It is much the same for our girls.
Oh, no personal trainers either for most 3A kids.

Argyle is as good or better with half the enrollment.
At the 2A level, Gunter comes to mind. Really good programs with both the girls and boys and they have average at best, facilities and many of their kids are economically disadvantaged but have a great work ethic.

The thread is "What 3A school does more with less..."

Your point is that your school has small numbers. My point is that Lovejoy hasn't had D1 talent, yet remain successful. Lovejoy has a very new secondary program. Football has only had maybe 4 years of Varisity competition and 5 years for Volleyball. Yes we have a lot of kids for 3A, yes they have new facilities (they are new secondary program) because they were always projected to be 4A so when we built we built based on projected growth, and yes we mainly have 1 sport kids (that is coach driven). Yes, more than a few kids have personal trainers which only supports my point that they are doing more with less... If they have less natural athletic ability (i.e. lack of East Texas Speed) they make up for it with hard work (personal trainers). Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.

Argyle boys have had a slight edge over Lovejoy in the three major sports, however the Lovejoy Girls have enjoyed a decent advantage. Both are excellent academic schools that enjoy a lot of athletic success. Same could be said for AW, Wimberely and a few others.

MGAR
01-26-2012, 11:20 AM
The thread is "What 3A school does more with less..."

Your point is that your school has small numbers. My point is that Lovejoy hasn't had D1 talent, yet remain successful. Lovejoy has a very new secondary program. Football has only had maybe 4 years of Varisity competition and 5 years for Volleyball. Yes we have a lot of kids for 3A, yes they have new facilities (they are new secondary program) because they were always projected to be 4A so when we built we built based on projected growth, and yes we mainly have 1 sport kids (that is coach driven). Yes, more than a few kids have personal trainers which only supports my point that they are doing more with less... If they have less natural athletic ability (i.e. lack of East Texas Speed) they make up for it with hard work (personal trainers). Hard work beats talent when talent fails to work hard.

Argyle boys have had a slight edge over Lovejoy in the three major sports, however the Lovejoy Girls have enjoyed a decent advantage. Both are excellent academic schools that enjoy a lot of athletic success. Same could be said for AW, Wimberely and a few others.

and "what 3A schools consistantly do less with more?"

Bullaholic
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
I'm going to wave my homer flag for Bridgeport. Coach Henson has taken many kids with less than D1 talent and made them perform at a high level on offense for many years in his system.

ccmom
01-26-2012, 11:26 AM
Lovejoy? More students, more one sport athletes, excellent facilities, more athletes with personal trainers/coaches....so are you saying they do "less with more" because saying they do "more with less" is just laughable. Come on now...even Wylie people are smarter than that! :rolleyes:

Leopard4Life
01-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Lovejoy? More students, more one sport athletes, excellent facilities, more athletes with personal trainers/coaches....so are you saying they do "less with more" because saying they do "more with less" is just laughable. Come on now...even Wylie people are smarter than that! :rolleyes:

More with less athlete's. My point is there aren't any D1 recruites, expect a few volleyball players and we still do well. Bigwood brought up all of Lovejoy's advantages. I think one sport athletes can be a disadvantage. You don't put your best athletes out there because they are training for their one sport.

oleonetime2
01-26-2012, 12:19 PM
I am going to have to go with Wimberley. Their football stadium does not have a field house. Visitors dress in jr. high facility and high school football team meets before and at halftime in jr. high cafeteria. High school weight room is a joke and the baseball and softball facilities have not been upgraded since they were built in 1986.

Bullaholic
01-26-2012, 12:21 PM
I am going to have to go with Wimberley. Their football stadium does not have a field house. Visitors dress in jr. high facility and high school football team meets before and at halftime in jr. high cafeteria. High school weight room is a joke and the baseball and softball facilities have not been upgraded since they were built in 1986.

I'll bet that is going to change pretty quickly with the way Wimberley is growing, and their successes on the field.

marler1972
01-26-2012, 12:40 PM
More with less athlete's. My point is there aren't any D1 recruites, expect a few volleyball players and we still do well. Bigwood brought up all of Lovejoy's advantages. I think one sport athletes can be a disadvantage. You don't put your best athletes out there because they are training for their one sport.

I am going to go out on a limb and say THE LESS part is enrollment. Yall got beat this year in the playoffs by a team that had 580 students and Lovejoy had between 1100-1200 students.

Leopard4Life
01-26-2012, 12:55 PM
I am going to go out on a limb and say THE LESS part is enrollment. Yall got beat this year in the playoffs by a team that had 580 students and Lovejoy had between 1100-1200 students.

1104. And I agree that Celina does more with less. They was no specification on what the less was... Every 3A school is lacking something, from enrollment (students/athletes), facilities/money down the line to community support/quality coaching. It's a hypothetical question meant to draw discussion. Your take on the question is enrollment, mine was something different and oleonetime2 thought of facilities. Everybody's take will be different.

And ya'll got beat in the playoffs last year by a team that suspended their best defensive player, best offensive player, and a additional two way starter. So what's your point? Celina wins it's because they are better, they loose and it's because they are smaller. Celina has a lot of growth heading their way and a ton of undeveloped land, you won't stay small for long. Look at the growth in Prosper...

Z-RO
01-26-2012, 05:18 PM
Monahans
Bridgeport
Graham
Snyder

Wichita Falls Hirschi has to win the title for most wasted talent in 3A. The Huskies ALWAYS have talent, but they have yet to find a coach who can tame those horses so to speak.

lostaussie
01-26-2012, 06:03 PM
and "what 3A schools consistantly do less with more?"Decator comes to mind. Every time I go through there I wonder why they can't get it going and keep it going. That is a really nice town.

toddg
01-26-2012, 06:32 PM
im going to throw Alvarado into the more with less discussion...we are not blessed with a bevy of top tier athletes..if you played us the last couple of years, you wondered what was so special about us when you saw our team during pre-game warmups. what we do have is...great coaching from top to bottom, good community support and good kids willing to do what it takes to get better.

bigwood33
01-26-2012, 08:23 PM
im going to throw Alvarado into the more with less discussion...we are not blessed with a bevy of top tier athletes..if you played us the last couple of years, you wondered what was so special about us when you saw our team during pre-game warmups. what we do have is...great coaching from top to bottom, good community support and good kids willing to do what it takes to get better.
And one of the largest enrollments in 3A. That alone takes you out of the "more with less" conversation. Schools with large enrollment and decent parental support are at a distinct advantage over at least half of the schools in 3A.
I agree with some of the schools mentioned: Bridgeport, Wimberley and Graham are all "middle of the pack" in enrollment and are competitive in multiple sports.

FB-fanatic
01-26-2012, 11:15 PM
I've gotta go with a homer pick myself. With enrollment at 480 last alignment, Lorena went 3 deep in the playoffs, eventually losing to Coldspring by 6. Played the eventual state champs 2 years ago to their closest game deep in playoffs with a "star" wildcat back who was not on any radar until late midseason, eventually becoming Super Centex Player of the Year. This in a district with the likes of LaVega and China Spring. Girls basketball consistanly in the top 10. Boys basketball very respectable and baseball 2003 state champs. All utilizing an old 1980 stadium, adaquate but antequated weight room, natural grass field. And a scoreboard that is more pink than red these days.

But some of the best academics in the central Texas area.

FB-fanatic
01-26-2012, 11:35 PM
Just saw on the news where Lorena linebacker Jakob Coker shared the Defensive Player of the Year on the 61st Annual Texas Sports Writers Association's Class 3A All-State Football Team. Coker, a 5-10, 205-pound senior, had 201 tackles, including 12 for losses.

buckeyebob
01-27-2012, 05:43 AM
1104. And I agree that Celina does more with less. They was no specification on what the less was... Every 3A school is lacking something, from enrollment (students/athletes), facilities/money down the line to community support/quality coaching. It's a hypothetical question meant to draw discussion. Your take on the question is enrollment, mine was something different and oleonetime2 thought of facilities. Everybody's take will be different.

And ya'll got beat in the playoffs last year by a team that suspended their best defensive player, best offensive player, and a additional two way starter. So what's your point? Celina wins it's because they are better, they loose and it's because they are smaller. Celina has a lot of growth heading their way and a ton of undeveloped land, you won't stay small for long. Look at the growth in Prosper...

Now, if they can make it past Daingerfield. http://clicksmilies.com/s1106/grinser/grinning-smiley-010.gif Now there is a team that has nothing (accept the worst Visitor side in the state) and does more.

bigwood33
01-27-2012, 12:25 PM
I've gotta go with a homer pick myself. With enrollment at 480 last alignment, Lorena went 3 deep in the playoffs, eventually losing to Coldspring by 6. Played the eventual state champs 2 years ago to their closest game deep in playoffs with a "star" wildcat back who was not on any radar until late midseason, eventually becoming Super Centex Player of the Year. This in a district with the likes of LaVega and China Spring. Girls basketball consistanly in the top 10. Boys basketball very respectable and baseball 2003 state champs. All utilizing an old 1980 stadium, adaquate but antequated weight room, natural grass field. And a scoreboard that is more pink than red these days.

Now THAT is doing more with less. :cheerl:

Rabid Cougar
01-27-2012, 09:23 PM

I've already given you props on this and will do it again. Also one of the most hated rivals of China Spring. Although I think it might be even worse on the Lorena side if you ask the old timers from the 70's.

VWG
01-28-2012, 02:44 PM
From what I've seen.....

Agree with Henson and Bridgeport! Always competitive in football, baseball has come around.
Monahans- definitely.
Snyder.... although their basketball team is like a hard wind. It blows.
Graham.... baseball is back on track, football always competitive, state tournament & regional tournament in hoops over the past 10 years
Sanger- competitive with multiple sport kids

Whoever mentioned Gainesville? Please.... they have fallen off since West left. When was the last time they have been competitive in all programs?

Sweetwater had some competitive football teams a few years ago (Kent Jackson), but their hoops and baseball teams aren't competitive.

bobcat4life
01-29-2012, 11:30 PM
I meant gainesville does less with more. I agree they dont have the level of athletes they used to have, but they should still be competitive at worst with their talent level

catfish
01-30-2012, 09:11 PM
I am going to have to agree with oldonetime2.Wimberley is the second smallest school in the district.Except for the artificial field,which they have due to water constraints,they have the worst facilities in the district...I am not saying they don't have SOME athletes,but after the all state team came out and the Texans had so few players on all the teams,comparatively,Coach Nelms and the Wimberley coaching staff,obviously do a great job of coaching and teaching the team concept.....Because,if sheer talent won state championships,compared to Argyle,Wimberley would not have made it even close to the state championship game.They are always in the hunt for a district,regional and sometimes even a state championship.

Leopard4Life
01-30-2012, 11:38 PM
If school size is the "less", and the "more" is talking about success in multiple boys and girls sports I'm going to go with Argyle with Wimberley as a close second.

jockcity33
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Actually the "less" and "more" I was referring to in the original post was talent, not size of school or wealth of school.

catfish
01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
If that is the criteria,then for sure Wimberley! If you think about it ,Wimberley has no D1 signees at the present time from this years state championship team,and only had 1 on the 2005 state championship team, and he was a tackle.How many 3a state champs in the last decade had so few.The only other teams that I can think of is Liberty Hill in 06 and 07,and I would put them right next to Wimberley.

Sportshack
02-01-2012, 01:47 PM
If that is the criteria,then for sure Wimberley! If you think about it ,Wimberley has no D1 signees at the present time from this years state championship team,and only had 1 on the 2005 state championship team, and he was a tackle.How many 3a state champs in the last decade had so few.The only other teams that I can think of is Liberty Hill in 06 and 07,and I would put them right next to Wimberley.

The 2005 team had 3 D-1 signees and put about 12 total in college off of team albeit only 3 D-1. I think that is very good for 3A school. 2 kids went to Navy off that team and one to UT. Wimberley also had some really talented players on 2011 team. However, year in year out, Wimberley does not have generally aything special in the speed and athleticism category.

Old LB
02-01-2012, 02:07 PM
The 2005 team had 3 D-1 signees and put about 12 total in college off of team albeit only 3 D-1. I think that is very good for 3A school. 2 kids went to Navy off that team and one to UT. Wimberley also had some really talented players on 2011 team. However, year in year out, Wimberley does not have generally aything special in the speed and athleticism category.

I'm not buying the Wimberly doing more with less argument. Last time Brownwood played Wimberly, 09 playoffs, Wimberly was 6'1ish across the board on offense and defense. Good quality atheletes, I take nothing away from their accomplisments, but not thinking they are doing more with less.

When you look at the Wimberly, Abilene Wylie, Argyles of the world what some forget is these kids have the best of the best. They generally have stable home lives, less worries, more confidence. They are not worried about mom and dad fighting at home or what they will eat tonight. They are focused on being kids and accomplishing their personal and team goals. I think that makes a big difference compared to some of the inner city areas where the atheletes are less privileged and have many more obstacles to deal with on a daily basis.