PDA

View Full Version : What in the world........

BEAST
01-23-2012, 04:28 PM
Is going on with kids these days. Now, Im only 35, not all that far removed from being "young". I remember doing stupid things for sure, one of them however, was not beating up the other teams coach. I did a bunch of stupid stuff. Some of it intentional and some by pure accident, but none was ever really meant to harm anyone. Did I get fights, you bet I did. Most were allowed to finish so whatever caused it in the first place would aslo be finished. Oh, and my buddies didnt jump in. We all just watched and made sure nobody from the opposing side jumped in. It was called a fair fight. And the girls, good lord. With sexting going on that in a lot of cases young girls are just spreading themselves literally all over the place. Its very sad to me that they think there "worth" is equal to how much boys pay attention to them. Drugs in every school, not just the big ones now. Parents have no clue what their kids face on a daily routine. A school yard bully is nothing to what these kids see and do and hopefully dont do.

The saddest part about it, I dont think anybody can do a damn thing about it. We, and generations before us have allowed, heck even invited by thinking its the schools or gov'ts job to raise the children. Oh well, the lost generation continues...........

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
01-23-2012, 04:40 PM
Is going on with kids these days. Now, Im only 35, not all that far removed from being "young". I remember doing stupid things for sure, one of them however, was not beating up the other teams coach. I did a bunch of stupid stuff. Some of it intentional and some by pure accident, but none was ever really meant to harm anyone. Did I get fights, you bet I did. Most were allowed to finish so whatever caused it in the first place would aslo be finished. Oh, and my buddies didnt jump in. We all just watched and made sure nobody from the opposing side jumped in. It was called a fair fight. And the girls, good lord. With sexting going on that in a lot of cases young girls are just spreading themselves literally all over the place. Its very sad to me that they think there "worth" is equal to how much boys pay attention to them. Drugs in every school, not just the big ones now. Parents have no clue what their kids face on a daily routine. A school yard bully is nothing to what these kids see and do and hopefully dont do.

The saddest part about it, I dont think anybody can do a damn thing about it. We, and generations before us have allowed, heck even invited by thinking its the schools or gov'ts job to raise the children. Oh well, the lost generation continues...........

BEAST

It is not this generation, we just see it more because of Mass Media...I am 36 and saw all of the same issues when I was a kid and in talking to my parents they saw all of the same issues when they were kids..we just see it in our face more now and with technology the kids have more access to express themself(good and bad)

Bullaholic
01-23-2012, 04:41 PM

BEAST

Beast, if you get an old guy like me started on this---we'll be here longer than most folks are going to want to read, so I'll just say, "I hear you, buddy." :D

BEAST
01-23-2012, 04:45 PM
It is not this generation, we just see it more because of Mass Media...I am 36 and saw all of the same issues when I was a kid and in talking to my parents they saw all of the same issues when they were kids..we just see it in our face more now and with technology the kids have more access to express themself(good and bad)

That make you and I almost the same age. I didnt see the thuggery back then like is going on now. I didnt see the girls in my high school basically turning into pro bono prostitutes.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
01-23-2012, 05:00 PM
That make you and I almost the same age. I didnt see the thuggery back then like is going on now. I didnt see the girls in my high school basically turning into pro bono prostitutes.

BEAST

I saw both..That was the era that being gangsta was cool( kinda like in the past)...drugs were avalible on request and there were plenty of easy girls

It is like the old teenage pregnancy scare of the 80's and 90's..people said what is wrong with the kids these days having sex, being immoral etc..then someone did research and it turns out the average was the same in 50's as the 80's, but back then it was not talked about, every thing was hush hush

raider red 2000
01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
beast where did you grow up at?

waterboy
01-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Beast, if you get an old guy like me started on this---we'll be here longer than most folks are going to want to read, so I'll just say, "I hear you, buddy." :D
:iagree: Don't get us old folk started. It's was some of the same type of things, but those "type" of things are very different in degree now than it was when I was in school a "few" years ago.:wave:

BEAST
01-23-2012, 05:14 PM
beast where did you grow up at?

Brownwood. Look, Im not saying we were perfect little angels, but the crap I am hearing about all the time now is just insane. Just look at the Lamarque incident and the thread about Columbus bball game brawl.

BEAST

waterboy
01-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Anybody ever heard of "Dr." Spock, and the lies he wrote in his books? The discipline is just not there anymore.....

Txbroadcaster
01-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Brownwood. Look, Im not saying we were perfect little angels, but the crap I am hearing about all the time now is just insane. Just look at the Lamarque incident and the thread about Columbus bball game brawl.

BEAST

again those fights and brawls were back then as wel, there was just not instant media to show it worldwide

We had some epic brawls with Longview, Lufkin and John Tyler when I was in HS

SintonFan
01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
BEAST

What do you do about it? You raise your kids as best as possible and make sure they fear God, mommy and daddy(fear might be a tad harsh, so let's say firm respect for these last two) and then law enforcement(in that order). Infuse them with ethics and morals that have worked for countless generations. Teach them to respect others and make sure they understand that "self-esteem" is over rated and that self confidence is earned. Take them to church... regularly.

Cam
01-23-2012, 05:37 PM
Anybody ever heard of "Dr." Spock, and the lies he wrote in his books? The discipline is just not there anymore.....

Dr. Spock?....well here you go......http://www.wnd.com/2009/01/87179/

Cam
01-23-2012, 05:41 PM
I know this is a serious subject...one I'm really scared about......but I'm kinda feelin' a limerick comin'.........I'll let it lie for now........:)

waterboy
01-23-2012, 06:09 PM
Dr. Spock?....well here you go......http://www.wnd.com/2009/01/87179/
I'm not into the WND, but I do believe we are paying for the "soft", or lack of discipline from that generation now. Dr. Spock discredited the tried and true Biblically referenced "spare the rod, spoil the child" ideology. Lots of other things have contributed to some of society's problems today, but that seems to be a reference point to a lot of it being more severe nowadays. Discipline is something that should still be instilled into all of us, regardless of age. For every mistake there's a consequence, something that everybody needs to know. A little fear of that consequence would go a long way toward limiting that mistake in the future. Surely you believe that......., right?

SintonFan
01-23-2012, 06:11 PM
I'm not into the WND, but I do believe we are paying for the "soft", or lack of discipline from that generation now. Dr. Spock discredited the tried and true Biblically referenced "spare the rod, spoil the child" ideology. Lots of other things have contributed to some of society's problems today, but that seems to be a reference point to a lot of it being more severe nowadays. Discipline is something that should still be instilled into all of us, regardless of age. For every mistake there's a consequence, something that everybody needs to know. A little fear of that consequence would go a long way toward limiting that mistake in the future. Surely you believe that......., right?:iagree::iagree:

Roughneck93
01-23-2012, 06:25 PM
What do you do about it? You raise your kids as best as possible and make sure they fear God, mommy and daddy(fear might be a tad harsh, so let's say firm respect for these last two) and then law enforcement(in that order). Infuse them with ethics and morals that have worked for countless generations. Teach them to respect others and make sure they understand that "self-esteem" is over rated and that self confidence is earned. Take them to church... regularly.:iagree: This has worked for us. It's not that difficult folks.

Eagle 1
01-23-2012, 06:44 PM

BEAST

I hear you. I think a lot has to do with location as to where kids are raised. I think kids raised in rural areas are more respectful.

bobcat1
01-23-2012, 07:47 PM

BEAST

Beast, if you get an old guy like me started on this---we'll be here longer than most folks are going to want to read, so I'll just say, "I hear you, buddy." :DDitto.:D

bobcat1
01-23-2012, 07:48 PM
What do you do about it? You raise your kids as best as possible and make sure they fear God, mommy and daddy(fear might be a tad harsh, so let's say firm respect for these last two) and then law enforcement(in that order). Infuse them with ethics and morals that have worked for countless generations. Teach them to respect others and make sure they understand that "self-esteem" is over rated and that self confidence is earned. Take them to church... regularly.A tad harsh???? I feared that left handed man I was raised by.

Saggy Aggie
01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Txb, I think the percentage of 'easy' girls is far greater now than it was 10 years ago, much less 20.

I'm only a junior in college and when I was in junior high (about 8-10 years ago) ... NO ONE was having sex our age.

My little brother is now a sophomore in hs and our 5 year age difference is a world of change. The sophomore girls he meets have been with a dozen or so guys and started as far back as like 5th grade. That was unheard of not too long ago and I'd say it's pretty common nowadays. I think the days of meeting a girl who is 18+ and hasn't been with at least a half dozen guys is coming to an end. I understand exactly what Beast is saying and I'm only 21 years old.

BaseballUmp
01-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Well I turned out okay

bobcat4life
01-24-2012, 12:17 AM
Well I turned out okay

No comment...

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2012, 06:17 AM
Txb, I think the percentage of 'easy' girls is far greater now than it was 10 years ago, much less 20.

I'm only a junior in college and when I was in junior high (about 8-10 years ago) ... NO ONE was having sex our age.

My little brother is now a sophomore in hs and our 5 year age difference is a world of change. The sophomore girls he meets have been with a dozen or so guys and started as far back as like 5th grade. That was unheard of not too long ago and I'd say it's pretty common nowadays. I think the days of meeting a girl who is 18+ and hasn't been with at least a half dozen guys is coming to an end. I understand exactly what Beast is saying and I'm only 21 years old.

man i dont know..maybe it is size of town we all are from, but when I was in JR in late 80's there were plenty of freaky girls LOL

Farmersfan
01-24-2012, 09:18 AM
It's classic! Members of the older generation speaking out against members of the younger generation. The thing that amazes me is how some of you aren't insightful enough to understand the dynamic of this situation. I grew up listening to my uncles tell stories about their exploites when they were high school kids in the 30's and 40's. Believe me when I tell you kids aren't any worse now than they use to be. It's just that there are far more of them and the rules have been tighened up a lot. I grew up drinking a lot of the weekends and partying with my friends. We all drove home from the parties and rarely did any of us ever get a DUI. It wasn't because we didn't get stopped by the cops. It was because in those days the cops knew us and knew our parents. Most of the time the Sheriff would simply take us home and scold our parents. My brother was even caught with a substantial amount of "Smoke" and got a slap on the risk. We would drag race down main street all the time. These things are dealt with much, much harsher these days. We also got into plenty of fights. When we fought in school we would get swats from the principle and a call made to mom/dad and that was the end of it. Now a kid gets sentenced to alternative schooling and often sentenced to counseling for anger management. So for the most part it isn't the acts or actions that are worse but rather societies reactions to those acts. And don't forget there are way more kids alive today so it stands to reason there would be more "easy girls", "Bad boys" and any other stereotype you want to mention.
In my opinion the current generation is a generation of awesome kids that will eventually take over the title of "greatest generation" in American history. Considering how rapidly society is changing these days it is a huge testament to how great they are that we don't have more issues than we currently do. Of course this is just my opinion based on what some might consider a sheltered life.................

Matthew328
01-24-2012, 10:21 AM
I agree with TxB we just know a lot more about whats going on these days....when I was at Everman we got into multiple brawls with Wilmer-Hutchins....no one talked about it except at school...it was plastered on youtube etc....we got into a big fight with Cedar Hill also...same deal..

As for the girls same thing...when I was in JH there were girls who were doing stuff they shouldn't have been doing and I went to JH in the early 90s....with twitter, facebook, sexting etc its all much more out there..in the old days you'd just write a dirty note to a girl and it'd get thrown away and there was no evidence..

hollywood
01-24-2012, 10:34 AM
www., twitter, facebook, mass media

Just as txb and others have said, communication channels to feed information today are exponentially more than just a decade ago.

Beast, it was going on back in our day. We didn't have internet! Smart phones, wi-fi. Hush hush as someone mentioned earlier.

Saggy.. it went on even back in our day. When I lived in Aransas Pass 5-8 grade... a few were having sex in the 6th grade!! That was back in the mid 80's. If smart phones, and internet would have been avaiblable, it would have been viral.

It's the era we live in today that enables knowledge of such acts almost instantaneously.

Phil C
01-24-2012, 03:54 PM
I think one of the problems that started these troubles when we first outlawed prayer in the schools in the 60s and it has gone downhill ever since. Discipline suffered with men like Dr. Spock or whoever he was. I remember when I was a kid like many I would get out of line but then my father would give me a stern talk and I would always make sure that type of behavior was not repeated. You wanted your parents to be proud and happy concerning yourself so a lot of bad behavior wasn't done.

Eagle 1
01-24-2012, 04:00 PM
In my opinion the current generation is a generation of awesome kids that will eventually take over the title of "greatest generation" in American history.

No way. I respect your opinion but I don't agree with that.

BEAST
01-24-2012, 05:00 PM
:iagree: This has worked for us. It's not that difficult folks.

I get that. Im not really talking about my kids at all. Kids in general. I know the good ones out number the bad, but its seems as if there is a very thin line between them anymore.

BEAST

BEAST
01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
www., twitter, facebook, mass media

Just as txb and others have said, communication channels to feed information today are exponentially more than just a decade ago.

Beast, it was going on back in our day. We didn't have internet! Smart phones, wi-fi. Hush hush as someone mentioned earlier.

Saggy.. it went on even back in our day. When I lived in Aransas Pass 5-8 grade... a few were having sex in the 6th grade!! That was back in the mid 80's. If smart phones, and internet would have been avaiblable, it would have been viral.

It's the era we live in today that enables knowledge of such acts almost instantaneously.

I understand what you are saying Hollywood, but if I went into detail on here with some of the things that I have heard recently, it would blow your mind.

BEAST

raider red 2000
01-24-2012, 05:14 PM
I understand what you are saying Hollywood, but if I went into detail on here with some of the things that I have heard recently, it would blow your mind.

BEAST

when i had asked where you grew up it wasn't to point fingers. I grew up in Lubbock. Kids were doing naughty things (sex drugs rap music) when I was a kid....I wish I would have done more bad things....I was a chicken.

I think that kids are less embarrassed now than when I was in JH and HS. Due to overexposure of everything. When kids see random pictures on facebook and twitter of other kids drinkin or doing "BAD" things they might feel like they are supposed to be doing those things too.

I try to do a good job to influence the kids that I come in contact with in a positive way. Sometimes I do it nicely and sometimes I am not real nice about it. I try to let the kids know that I do care about em. I have a son who is 4 and I am sure he will do some bad things when he gets older. If he fights, I hope he wins and knows that there will be consequences for his actions. If he does drugs I hope he knows that there will be consequences for that too.

mwrams
01-24-2012, 06:58 PM
I see a lot of folks on here defending today's youth. I on the other hand have watched it from another perspective. I graduated in 1972 and yes we had our share of thugs and hoodlums back then. But unlike today we respected our elders. I have worked in the Texas prison system for over 20 years and let me tell you the kids coming in the last 3 or 4 years are far more disrespectful than I have seen in all my years. They have no regard for other people. I know your saying but these kids are criminals...yes, maybe so but just a few years ago many of them were playing on the gridiron and on the basketball courts of our high schools. Drugs, stealing, lying... its all about money with these kids. Work means nothing to them. I know we do have more kids with good morals and integrity beyond reproach and I only home our kids look up to them and not these punks coming out of our schools in droves.

crcope
01-25-2012, 09:40 AM
"You reap what you sow" and sadly that scripture is just as true today as it was thousands of years ago. We live in a society that has lost touch with what is really important in life. We have been blessed as a country beyond imagination - we all have so much , we live what were once considered excessive lifestyles and relentlessly pursue more every day. We worry ourselves to our graves about what we don't have and never Thank GOD for all we do- and as a result we have become an entitled society. No its not just the poor folks getting their assistance from the government,yes thats all of control too , but its us everyday Joe's -middle class america, running this insatiable race to get more and more -to be recognized for it- and to hell with anybody or anything that gets stepped on or run over in that pursuit. Oh we still love and we still care about what's right but our main concern is whats easy and beneficial to our own lives. This attitude has permeated every facet of our lives and sadly that includes our kids as well . We have with every generation a youth that loses its innocence at an earlier age and is exposed in every facet of their lives by ever increasing and accepted evil - plain and simple EVIL. The only ANSWER today has been the only ANSWER for all of eternity "JESUS" and alot of people consider that answer to be at best politically incorrect or at worst just a cop-out with no real truth. "EVEN SO LORD JESUS COME"

Farmersfan
01-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I see a lot of folks on here defending today's youth. I on the other hand have watched it from another perspective. I graduated in 1972 and yes we had our share of thugs and hoodlums back then. But unlike today we respected our elders. I have worked in the Texas prison system for over 20 years and let me tell you the kids coming in the last 3 or 4 years are far more disrespectful than I have seen in all my years. They have no regard for other people. I know your saying but these kids are criminals...yes, maybe so but just a few years ago many of them were playing on the gridiron and on the basketball courts of our high schools. Drugs, stealing, lying... its all about money with these kids. Work means nothing to them. I know we do have more kids with good morals and integrity beyond reproach and I only home our kids look up to them and not these punks coming out of our schools in droves.

Yea, we all know how "respectful" the kids of the 60's were...............................:crazy: