PDA

View Full Version : dalton santos van

Old Tiger
01-23-2012, 09:31 AM
Hear Texas is making a late push for his services. Also hear he and his dad like Texas. Any van people know anything?

SHSBulldog00
01-23-2012, 09:58 AM
I heard he was offered by Texas Yesterday.

MGAR
01-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Correct, he has been offered and will check them out this weekend.

Earlier in the year UT didn't have any scholarships to offer but now they do.

Pretty much every message board I've read the posters seem to think that he can't play in the pass happy big 12, that he will end up being a DT.. Not saying that won't happen but I without a doubt believe he can handle a pass happy conference. The kids work ethic is unreal. That and he is plenty fast enough to drop in coverage.

With that being said, IMO, he will stay in the SEC. No matter which SEC school he signs with he will play earlier. I think at UT he would have a nice little wait.. with Edmond and Thompson in front of him.

SHSBulldog00
01-23-2012, 10:47 AM

Pretty much every message board I've read the posters seem to think that he can't play in the pass happy big 12, that he will end up being a DT.. Not saying that won't happen but I without a doubt believe he can handle a pass happy conference. The kids work ethic is unreal. That and he is plenty fast enough to drop in coverage.

With that being said, IMO, he will stay in the SEC. No matter which SEC school he signs with he will play earlier. I think at UT he would have a nice little wait.. with Edmond and Thompson in front of him.

If he gets to big he could play DE.

Gsquared
01-23-2012, 10:58 AM
If he gets to big he could play DE.
I think your right. I see this kid alot like UT saw the Bible kid from Denton Ryan as far as frame

Matthew328
01-23-2012, 11:08 AM
I think your right. I see this kid alot like UT saw the Bible kid from Denton Ryan as far as frame

Of course Bible let his frame get way outta hand at Texas....lol

Gsquared
01-23-2012, 11:15 AM
Of course Bible let his frame get way outta hand at Texas....lol
Yeah, I think he had to many Migas at Trudy's while he was down there!

Old Tiger
01-23-2012, 11:28 AM
From 247: Brown, Diaz & Searels will be in Van on Wednesday The Santos's will be on campus this next weekend.

Gerry h thinks Santos will flip.

Mack taking 2 former sec coaches is a smart move

MGAR
01-23-2012, 02:40 PM
Here's his sr highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zlikf80QKY&feature=player_embedded#!

Roughneck93
01-23-2012, 06:29 PM
Would love to see him in burnt orange!

navscanmaster
01-24-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't know what to think of his recruitment. He has been all over the board. Started at OSU, decommitted, checked out several schools, claimed he was down with all the Aggie recruits and really enjoyed his time with them, and committed to the other UT. He said a whole lot about "smashmouthdownhillhiteminthemouthyaknow" as to why he chose UT over A&M, because of the SEC. A&M goes to the SEC, he recently opened back up, but has had more excuses. I think the guy and his dad have been Longhorn fans the whole time and the thought of going to A&M, SEC or not, was never an option.

Old Tiger
01-24-2012, 12:22 PM
I don't know what to think of his recruitment. He has been all over the board. Started at OSU, decommitted, checked out several schools, claimed he was down with all the Aggie recruits and really enjoyed his time with them, and committed to the other UT. He said a whole lot about "smashmouthdownhillhiteminthemouthyaknow" as to why he chose UT over A&M, because of the SEC. A&M goes to the SEC, he recently opened back up, but has had more excuses. I think the guy and his dad have been Longhorn fans the whole time and the thought of going to A&M, SEC or not, was never an option.Me thinks he doesn't care for A&M and was making up stuff so reporters would quit asking him about that. Take my opinion FWIW.

Heard he grew up a Longhorn fan as well as his dad.

Txbroadcaster
01-24-2012, 12:40 PM
he is a UT fan but was not really chased by them until late

hookandladder
01-24-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't know what to think of his recruitment. He has been all over the board. Started at OSU, decommitted, checked out several schools, claimed he was down with all the Aggie recruits and really enjoyed his time with them, and committed to the other UT. He said a whole lot about "smashmouthdownhillhiteminthemouthyaknow" as to why he chose UT over A&M, because of the SEC. A&M goes to the SEC, he recently opened back up, but has had more excuses. I think the guy and his dad have been Longhorn fans the whole time and the thought of going to A&M, SEC or not, was never an option.

I think I have to agree with you, watched some of his videos on you tube and he seems a little overboard.

NastySlot
01-24-2012, 02:42 PM

DT or did you mean DE?

NastySlot
01-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Me thinks he doesn't care for A&M and was making up stuff so reporters would quit asking him about that. Take my opinion FWIW.

Heard he grew up a Longhorn fan as well as his dad.

I think the same thing you think here....He got along with those recruits that the Ag's have...but I feel it's probably been his dream to be a horn.

MGAR
01-24-2012, 02:43 PM
DT or did you mean DE?

I've seen both mentioned.

Buckeye1980
01-24-2012, 04:59 PM
The kid is a great player, but personally as a Longhorn fan, I would not want his attitude on the 40 Acres.. JMO~

OLE'BULL
01-24-2012, 05:19 PM
The kid is a great player, but personally as a Longhorn fan, I would not want his attitude on the 40 Acres.. JMO~

Attitude? Everything I have heard about him (which isn't much, so take it for what it's worth) has been pretty positive. Coaches being interviewed saying he is one of the hardest working kids they have ever coached? Does he have a dark side??? Most good LB's do!!! :ack!:

coachc45
01-24-2012, 06:20 PM
Attitude? Everything I have heard about him (which isn't much, so take it for what it's worth) has been pretty positive. Coaches being interviewed saying he is one of the hardest working kids they have ever coached? Does he have a dark side??? Most good LB's do!!! :ack!:

He is a great kid from everytime I talked to him and seen....but he does have a little problem with cheap play. Has a tendency to punch people and so on...

Z-RO
01-24-2012, 11:09 PM
He is a great kid from everytime I talked to him and seen....but he does have a little problem with cheap play. Has a tendency to punch people and so on...

As a Horns fan I think a kid with a little attitude is a good thing!...especially if the coaches can control it. Need more guys like him, especially on the OL and DL.

buckeyebob
01-25-2012, 06:03 AM

...and Cheap Shots...needs a muzzle & chain...the prevous coaches did not control him...glad he is gone. There is no place for irresponsible behavoir.

hookandladder
01-25-2012, 07:07 AM
...and Cheap Shots...needs a muzzle & chain...the prevous coaches did not control him...glad he is gone. There is no place for irresponsible behavoir.

I watched on you tube his decision on which school he chose, it looked like it was staged. Just did not look right, do not know the kid at all maybe I was seeing something that is not there. Judging from his interviews , Texas coaches will need to work with him on how to handle himself in the public eye. I am a Texas fan , so hope it all works out.

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2012, 07:58 AM

ok now..your acting like he breaks legs ande necks...Yes he overplays and needs to tame that, but he is not some dirty player only looking to hurt people.

waterboy
01-25-2012, 08:21 AM
ok now..your acting like he breaks legs ande necks...Yes he overplays and needs to tame that, but he is not some dirty player only looking to hurt people.
No, he doesn't intentionally try to "hurt" people, but he does hit people after the play is dead a LOT. That's just the kind of thing that will get people hurt. He also does a LOT of showboating. He is a very good athlete, good size, good speed, a hard-worker, and all that, but he will have to be tamed by the coaches at the next level to have an impact. I think that once he gets to the next level where he will be disciplined by the coaches AND his peers he will be a good player, but if his behavior is not toned down he will not make it. That's just my opinion.

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2012, 08:42 AM
No, he doesn't intentionally try to "hurt" people, but he does hit people after the play is dead a LOT. That's just the kind of thing that will get people hurt. He also does a LOT of showboating. He is a very good athlete, good size, good speed, a hard-worker, and all that, but he will have to be tamed by the coaches at the next level to have an impact. I think that once he gets to the next level where he will be disciplined by the coaches AND his peers he will be a good player, but if his behavior is not toned down he will not make it. That's just my opinion.

this is how football has changed....Bill Bates is considered a hard working player who lasted longer than he should have because of effort, yet he was ALWAYS hitting right at the end of plays or after, yet it was chalked up to effort and will to win...I have seen Santos do the same thing, but now we call it dirty

bigwood33
01-25-2012, 08:49 AM
this is how football has changed....Bill Bates is considered a hard working player who lasted longer than he should have because of effort, yet he was ALWAYS hitting right at the end of plays or after, yet it was chalked up to effort and will to win...I have seen Santos do the same thing, but now we call it dirty
I certainly don't know anything about the Santos kid but you are wrong about Bates...who by the way is WAAAY overrated by most Cowboy's fans. He wasn't dirty and the reason he endeared himself to fans were his efforts on special teams. He routinely led the team in special teams tackles and he always gave outstanding effort. Even IF he did what you say, a 5' 11" 215 lb safety who ran a 4.7 certainly isn't as dangerous as a 6' 3" 250+ 4.5 guy who looks for "spectators" around the pile....especially against high school kids.

Txbroadcaster
01-25-2012, 08:57 AM
I certainly don't know anything about the Santos kid but you are wrong about Bates...who by the way is WAAAY overrated by most Cowboy's fans. He wasn't dirty and the reason he endeared himself to fans were his efforts on special teams. He routinely led the team in special teams tackles and he always gave outstanding effort. Even IF he did what you say, a 5' 11" 215 lb safety who ran a 4.7 certainly isn't as dangerous as a 6' 3" 250+ 4.5 guy who looks for "spectators" around the pile....especially against high school kids.

even Bates himself has admitted many time that he would be considered dirty now because of his late hits

MGAR
01-25-2012, 09:01 AM

That's like Gilmer has never had any players that need a muzzle and chain. Get real.

Also, is picking up a flag and throwing it back at the refs considered irresponsible behavior?

waterboy
01-25-2012, 09:32 AM
That's like Gilmer has never had any players that need a muzzle and chain. Get real.

Also, is picking up a flag and throwing it back at the refs considered irresponsible behavior?
I don't remember a Gilmer player ever doing that. You must be talking about a Canton player that did that in the playoffs against Tatum a few years back in '05 or '06?

MGAR
01-25-2012, 09:55 AM
I don't remember a Gilmer player ever doing that. You must be talking about a Canton player that did that in the playoffs against Tatum a few years back in '05 or '06?

Yup Yup..

That ended up playing for Gilmer..

Bob said there was no room for that type of behavior...

cowboyandchrist
01-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Yup Yup..

He was a wide receiver, just a side note, he and the quarterback went to Gilmer to wn a state championship and got beat in the first round.

OLE'BULL
01-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Hitting someone that is standing around a pile while the play is going on is not against any rules. What if the ball pops out??? I bet it would be alot easier for the D to recover the fumble without a big hog standing around picking his nose. What if the ball carrier wasnt ruled down yet and he manages to slip free??? I also bet it would be much easier to bring him down when there is one less lineman there to block for him. There is a defensive mentality that says if you can set the tone early and often, you can force an opponent to shut down, not want to play, not be aggressive b/c they are scared, etc. That in turn helps your TEAM. We, or at least I, was contantly told to GO 'TILL THE WHISTLE!!! And if we didnt? God help us. To me it sounds like he is a wound up Jesse, which is why he can go to the school of his choosing. Believe it or not, D1 schools want guys on their defense that love contact, showboat a bit, are enthusiastic. So many times I go sit in the stands to watch a high school game and 90% of the guys on the field look like they have never got excited in their life. It is boring to watch. I would much rather see a passionate kid, flying around knocking the snot out of people, getting excited, etc. And for the guy who said something about how big he is, and hitting "high school kids"... C'MON MAN!!! Its football. You are the problem with football today. So should he not be allowed to play against them b/c he was blessed with great size & speed, and has outworked the others his whole life??? Heck no, I say let the dog out the cage and let him go destroy people, might motivate the "kids" half y'all complain about. Get them away from their XBoxes and all that. Just my 2 cents, sorry for the rant

MGAR
01-25-2012, 11:25 AM
He was a wide receiver, just a side note, he and the quarterback went to Gilmer to wn a state championship and got beat in the first round.

Thanks for sharing. I did not know that. :)

Old Tiger
01-25-2012, 11:39 AM
Playing hard through thr whistle or hitting after?

OLE'BULL
01-25-2012, 11:59 AM
Playing hard through thr whistle or hitting after?

I would imagine if he was hitting after the whistle, he would have a ton of penalties called against him. If he had a bunch of penalties for that, the coaches would address it and it would stop. If not, they need new coaches. Lets not attack a kid who is a bright spot in the changing game of football. Sooner or later it will be 2 below and there wont be losers...

popcorn
01-25-2012, 01:11 PM

Correction the qb came to Gilmer lost in first round 06. The reciever came in 07 played in state championship loss to Liberty Hill.

Simple Man
01-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Yup Yup..

There wasn't any of that type of behavior in Gilmer. It isn't tolerated.

buckeyebob
01-25-2012, 04:31 PM

I do not remeber such an incident...I think I can safely say that if it did, he would be wood shop the next week without a number...I know that it would not be tolerated.

buckeyebob
01-25-2012, 04:33 PM

I do know who you are talking about...I musssed have missed it & I will still stick to my guns...there is no room @ GHS for that.

buckeyebob
01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
My point was not on a late hit...hitting after runner is out of bounds...what I have a problem is a late hit designed to inflict pain / injury...how many times has he nbeen tossed out for it? In the Gilmer game, he begged his way to stay in...we all know the difference in passion and a creep.

waterboy
01-25-2012, 04:55 PM
I would imagine if he was hitting after the whistle, he would have a ton of penalties called against him. If he had a bunch of penalties for that, the coaches would address it and it would stop. If not, they need new coaches. Lets not attack a kid who is a bright spot in the changing game of football. Sooner or later it will be 2 below and there wont be losers...
There WERE a ton of penalties against him for that sort of thing, and there would've likely had been more if Van would've had stiffer competition because he didn't get to play but a little over a half in most of their games this year. Apparently, you didn't see him play or you would know what we're talking about. He wasn't taught the discipline he needed at the high school level because his coaches allowed him to get away with it. I'm not bashing the guy, just stating what I observed numerous times of watching him play. The blame is on his coaches, in my opinion. There's no question about his ability, but I do question his discipline. When he gets to the next level he will HAVE to change, or he will not make it.

OLE'BULL
01-26-2012, 09:13 AM
There WERE a ton of penalties against him for that sort of thing, and there would've likely had been more if Van would've had stiffer competition because he didn't get to play but a little over a half in most of their games this year. Apparently, you didn't see him play or you would know what we're talking about. He wasn't taught the discipline he needed at the high school level because his coaches allowed him to get away with it. I'm not bashing the guy, just stating what I observed numerous times of watching him play. The blame is on his coaches, in my opinion. There's no question about his ability, but I do question his discipline. When he gets to the next level he will HAVE to change, or he will not make it.

Since I havent seen him play, I will go off what you said. If that is the case, Van needs a new Head Coach, period. Allowing that sort of thing in HIGH SCHOOL is unacceptable. If they are scared to bench a star player b/c of his attitude, they, along with other head admins. shouldnt have a job. It blows me away that these things are still allowed to happen. This isnt the 80's, step up and do whats right. I could care less about Van and their success, just wish all schools could compete, win or lose, with class. OH WELL :ack!:

pirate4state
01-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Hitting someone that is standing around a pile while the play is going on is not against any rules. What if the ball pops out??? I bet it would be alot easier for the D to recover the fumble without a big hog standing around picking his nose. What if the ball carrier wasnt ruled down yet and he manages to slip free??? I also bet it would be much easier to bring him down when there is one less lineman there to block for him. There is a defensive mentality that says if you can set the tone early and often, you can force an opponent to shut down, not want to play, not be aggressive b/c they are scared, etc. That in turn helps your TEAM. We, or at least I, was contantly told to GO 'TILL THE WHISTLE!!! And if we didnt? God help us. To me it sounds like he is a wound up Jesse, which is why he can go to the school of his choosing. Believe it or not, D1 schools want guys on their defense that love contact, showboat a bit, are enthusiastic. So many times I go sit in the stands to watch a high school game and 90% of the guys on the field look like they have never got excited in their life. It is boring to watch. I would much rather see a passionate kid, flying around knocking the snot out of people, getting excited, etc. And for the guy who said something about how big he is, and hitting "high school kids"... C'MON MAN!!! Its football. You are the problem with football today. So should he not be allowed to play against them b/c he was blessed with great size & speed, and has outworked the others his whole life??? Heck no, I say let the dog out the cage and let him go destroy people, might motivate the "kids" half y'all complain about. Get them away from their XBoxes and all that. Just my 2 cents, sorry for the rant

:clap: I like you & I like this post!

Old Tiger
01-26-2012, 12:15 PM
So let's talk football again..

How are his instincts at linebacker? The most instinctive lb I have seen is steve Edmonds out of daingerfield.

waterboy
01-26-2012, 12:25 PM
So let's talk football again..

How are his instincts at linebacker? The most instinctive lb I have seen is steve Edmonds out of daingerfield.
Dalton compares very favorably with Edmonds, in my opinion. The kid can flat out play football. He's big, fast, and has the mentality of a LB. He's also very instinctive in that he is seemingly in on every play regardless of whether the play is on his side of the field or not. He moves laterally very well. I think he's a step or two faster than Edmonds, too. I don't think Dalton is as ready for the next level as Edmonds was coming out of high school, however, but I think he has the same type of instincts.

buckeyebob
01-27-2012, 06:15 AM
I think he has more raw talent than Edmonds did as a senior.He was not in peek condition when we played in Round 2...by the 3rd, he was beat...was out of the game before the whistle.

Old Tiger
01-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Any people close to van or santos family have an update?

SHSBulldog00
01-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Any people close to van or santos family have an update?

Dalton Santos will make his decision Monday.

coachc45
01-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Dalton Santos will make his decision Monday.

Smoaky has on his site that Santos officially committed to UT.

Santos switches commitment to Texas

Van senior linebacker Dalton Santos, 6-3, 248, 4.63, who has been committed to Tennessee since early August, switched his commitment to Texas on Sunday.

Santos took a weekend visit to Austin and pulled the trigger. Santos father, Albert told Smoaky.com, "He is extremely proud to be a Longhorn and vows to make his family and hometown of Van, Texas proud too."

Santos finished his senior year with 101-Tackles, 19-TFL, 3-Sacks, 1-Interception, 3-Caused Fumbles and 3-Fumble Recoveries including one for a touchdown.

Santos also scored 17-TD's rushing on offense.

http://www.smoaky.com

SHSBulldog00
01-29-2012, 07:24 PM
Smoaky has on his site that Santos officially committed to UT.

Santos switches commitment to Texas

Van senior linebacker Dalton Santos, 6-3, 248, 4.63, who has been committed to Tennessee since early August, switched his commitment to Texas on Sunday.

Santos took a weekend visit to Austin and pulled the trigger. Santos father, Albert told Smoaky.com, "He is extremely proud to be a Longhorn and vows to make his family and hometown of Van, Texas proud too."

Santos finished his senior year with 101-Tackles, 19-TFL, 3-Sacks, 1-Interception, 3-Caused Fumbles and 3-Fumble Recoveries including one for a touchdown.

Santos also scored 17-TD's rushing on offense.

http://www.smoaky.com

:cheerl::cheerl::cheerl::cheerl:

Phil C
01-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Great news indeed! :clap:

Now what would make the next few days even better would be to get Cottrell and DGB along with Mr. Ridgeway deciding to be a Horn as he committed.