PDA

View Full Version : Those damned kidney stones!

Cam
01-20-2012, 12:38 PM
Just passed my annual kidney stone.....caught me off guard this mornin'....ouchy...........I wanna go home now:crying:......man, what did I ever do to deserve this kind of punishment??.....except for maybe irritatin' some folks on the Downlow......not to worry folks, those rocks don't slow me down..no sir!!.....:2thumbsup

ccmom
01-20-2012, 12:39 PM
No fun at all!!! What's worse than passing one is watching your 9 year old son pass one. Horrific...

Cam
01-20-2012, 12:57 PM
No fun at all!!! What's worse than passing one is watching your 9 year old son pass one. Horrific...

Wow! Sorry to hear that. Kidney stones don't usually mess with the little ones. I didn't get my first one till I was 31. And, they haven't stopped since....Calcium oxalate = my enemy.....
fyi: If stones are calcium oxalate related, don't drink stuff like Cranberry juice. That stuff is loaded with oxalate. Good for bladder infections though..
Celery, spinach, cokes, coffee, etc.....all bad for me...

Bullaholic
01-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Had the pleasure only twice, Cam---first one I passed was in the hospital, and when I looked down into the strainer and saw it, I said to the nurse---"No way that little thing can be it--I know it had to be a bag of concrete."

toddg
01-20-2012, 01:16 PM
had a bout with a 8mm stone this past summer...talk about some painful, awkward moments..

YTBulldogs
01-20-2012, 01:23 PM
I cannot pass them. Had then twice, and both times had to have them blown up. Most pain I ever endured. And, cost a pretty penny. :(

Cam
01-20-2012, 01:24 PM
Had the pleasure only twice, Cam---first one I passed was in the hospital, and when I looked down into the strainer and saw it, I said to the nurse---"No way that little thing can be it--I know it had to be a bag of concrete."

Dang Bull, well if you think you can pass a bag of concrete, you must be like a whale or something???...change your name to Whale-aholic BIG BOY!.......and if you must brag, I wasn't gonna say anything but since you started it, when I passed mine this morning, I clogged up the toilet!!!

Cam
01-20-2012, 01:36 PM
had a bout with a 8mm stone this past summer...talk about some painful, awkward moments..

gosh dangit toddg....you had to go all metric on me...now I gotta do the math...let's see......8 / 25.4 = .314"....so, that's right about 5/16".....holy crap that's pretty big!...i'm impressed!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Cam
01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
I cannot pass them. Had then twice, and both times had to have them blown up. Most pain I ever endured. And, cost a pretty penny. :(

ah yes...the good ol' lithotripsy thing.....I've done it twice too.....bad thing is now they're sayin' lithotripsy might actually help create more stones by depositing tiny fragments in your kidney which eventually grow larger thus repeatin' the whole kidney stone process and sending all kinds of pain thru your body and then you're back to the hospital to do it all over again and then you're payin' more money for it all and this is a classic run-on sentence.....

toddg
01-20-2012, 01:55 PM
gosh dangit toddg....you had to go all metric on me...now I gotta do the math...let's see......8 / 25.4 = .314"....so, that's right about 5/16".....holy crap that's pretty big!...i'm impressed!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

im impressed with your obvious math skill!!

ccmom
01-20-2012, 02:06 PM
Wow! Sorry to hear that. Kidney stones don't usually mess with the little ones. I didn't get my first one till I was 31. And, they haven't stopped since....Calcium oxalate = my enemy.....
fyi: If stones are calcium oxalate related, don't drink stuff like Cranberry juice. That stuff is loaded with oxalate. Good for bladder infections though..
Celery, spinach, cokes, coffee, etc.....all bad for me...Sadly, kidney stone formation in children is something urologists and nephrologists are seeing more of these days. For my son, unfortunately it seems he will have to deal with this from now on and will also be taking daily meds to hopefully prevent stone formation. I have had several stones myself but didn't have the first one until I was 32. As horrible as it is to pass one, watching your child suffer through them is much much worse.

Cam
01-20-2012, 02:17 PM
Sadly, kidney stone formation in children is something urologists and nephrologists are seeing more of these days. For my son, unfortunately it seems he will have to deal with this from now on and will also be taking daily meds to hopefully prevent stone formation. I have had several stones myself but didn't have the first one until I was 32. As horrible as it is to pass one, watching your child suffer through them is much much worse.

water...water...and more water!!....and beer is good too according to my urologist (for you that is CC)....the main thing is hydration especially during the cold months when people tend to drink less fluids.....

Cam
01-20-2012, 02:18 PM
im impressed with your obvious math skill!!

....are you flirtin' with me???.....:eek:

waterboy
01-20-2012, 02:43 PM
I've never had any kidney stones, but I have had a completely blocked ureter. From what I was told the symptoms are almost identical. I had to have laparascopic surgery last August to repair it. I had to have a uretal stint for 14 weeks. I was in the hospital twice for it. Spent three nights the first time when it was discovered, and two nights after the surgery. I'm okay now, but good gosh I had a lot of pain for a couple of months, especially with the stint. Once the stint was out I was good as new. Thank God it's over and I'm back to normal.

ExScoop
01-20-2012, 06:37 PM
I had one about 20 years ago while interviewing then Wharton coach Jesse Crow in his office-He had to take me to emergency room where I was there for about 4 hours- Finally passed it and was at work the next day

LionFan72
01-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Had and passed 5 luckily, or unlucky for real. My old horse doctor told me to add lemon or lime juice to everything I drink, worked so far, I think the last stone was 8 years ago, or maybe blind luck, but I thank God for not blessing me with the pain!

regaleagle
01-20-2012, 10:45 PM
Waterboy, is that why your username is Waterboy, lol ??

zebrablue2
01-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Never had one, and hope I never do..

Roughneck93
01-21-2012, 03:03 PM
Never had one, and hope I never do..:ditto:

defense51
01-21-2012, 08:11 PM
I've never had any kidney stones, but I have had a completely blocked ureter. From what I was told the symptoms are almost identical. I had to have laparascopic surgery last August to repair it. I had to have a uretal stint for 14 weeks. I was in the hospital twice for it. Spent three nights the first time when it was discovered, and two nights after the surgery. I'm okay now, but good gosh I had a lot of pain for a couple of months, especially with the stint. Once the stint was out I was good as new. Thank God it's over and I'm back to normal.
I know your pain, had a stone on both sides and one was too big to pass. Had a ureter stent from May-July last year, felt incredibly uncomfortable till it came out. That's the bad part, I was asleep when it was inserted but VERY awake when it was removed. Talk about feeling violated...

waterboy
01-23-2012, 08:39 AM
I know your pain, had a stone on both sides and one was too big to pass. Had a ureter stent from May-July last year, felt incredibly uncomfortable till it came out. That's the bad part, I was asleep when it was inserted but VERY awake when it was removed. Talk about feeling violated...
Yep, you're asleep when they put them in, and awake when they take them out. Uncomfortable, unnatural, and "violated" are the first things that come to my mind, too, when they took it out. My wife just sat there and watched the whole thing on a little TV (the doctor taking it out). She said it was one of the neatest things she'd ever seen. I definitely wasn't watching, I was too busy moaning from discomfort.:confused:, but I was extremely still. It didn't take but maybe three or four minutes from beginning to end, but once it was out it was immediate relief. We were amazed at the length of that thing (the stint). It was about a foot long! No wonder it caused so much discomfort!

toddg
01-23-2012, 11:20 AM
Yep, you're asleep when they put them in, and awake when they take them out. Uncomfortable, unnatural, and "violated" are the first things that come to my mind, too, when they took it out. My wife just sat there and watched the whole thing on a little TV (the doctor taking it out). She said it was one of the neatest things she'd ever seen. I definitely wasn't watching, I was too busy moaning from discomfort.:confused:, but I was extremely still. It didn't take but maybe three or four minutes from beginning to end, but once it was out it was immediate relief. We were amazed at the length of that thing (the stint). It was about a foot long! No wonder it caused so much discomfort!

very painful indeed!! if you have someone to drive you home, they should give something to make you loopy..take the edge off! hope i never have to go through that again.

waterboy
01-23-2012, 12:28 PM
very painful indeed!! if you have someone to drive you home, they should give something to make you loopy..take the edge off! hope i never have to go through that again.
Actually, I didn't have, and unfortunately wasn't given ANYTHING to take the edge off. Seriously, though, once that thing was out I felt a whole lot better, and drove myself home about 120 miles. Even stopped at a restaurant and ate with my wife and daughters at about the 80 mile mark. A day or two and the soreness went away. The soreness from that was absolutely NOTHING like the discomfort from the stint. The doctor who performed the surgery wouldn't give me anything strong enough to take the edge off while it was in, so I had my family doctor prescribe me something that most definitely helped, and, YES, it would definitely make me loopy.:wave:

By the way, it turned out to be a vein that had encircled the ureter and choked it off. He said he cut and seared the vein (I hope it wasn't an important one, lol), then butterflied the ureter and expanded it for better flow. It was a congenital problem that didn't show up until I was almost 50 years old. He said it was rare for a man my age. He said it usually shows up in teenage years, or earlier. I just thank God it's all over, and that everything is back to normal.

Cam
01-23-2012, 01:31 PM
Had and passed 5 luckily, or unlucky for real. My old horse doctor told me to add lemon or lime juice to everything I drink, worked so far, I think the last stone was 8 years ago, or maybe blind luck, but I thank God for not blessing me with the pain!

Your horse doctor is correct on the lemon thing. My urologist told me the same thing. Problem is, I forget to do it more often than not. Isn't it amazing that mother nature has all the cures sittin' right there in front of us......

greendawg84
01-23-2012, 04:05 PM
Exactly my boy ! Ya see beer is natural and keeps ya from getting them damn things !:)