PDA

View Full Version : Westerns...

Bullaholic
01-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Saw "Tom Horn" for the 50th time last night. Great performance by Steve McQueen as Tom Horn, one of the most flat mean, tough, and stubborn hombres in a western that I ever saw.

Cam
01-18-2012, 12:46 PM
Saw "Tom Horn" for the 50th time last night. Great performance by Steve McQueen as Tom Horn, one of the most flat mean, tough, and stubborn hombres in a western that I ever saw.

Tom Horn, definitely an awesome movie! Although not a western, I loved McQueen in "The Sand Pebbles". Eastwood and John Wayne made some pretty good ones too.....however, I never understood why Wayne always wore his pants crooked and too high in every movie he made!!!.....I can almost hear the director say, "dammit John....fix those pants will ya...your balls are showin'!!"...
And let's not forget those awesome gunslingers, The Three Amigos!......which by the way, gets my vote for the ugliest cast of people I've ever seen!.....:eek:

regaleagle
01-19-2012, 09:50 PM
What would the Westerns be without ol' Slim Pickens! He sure was in a heap of them movies from the 60's and 70's. May have even been in a few in the late 50's and the early 80's.

MGAR
01-19-2012, 11:34 PM
The last Western I watched was Bad Girls. Made in 1994.

turbostud
01-20-2012, 09:19 AM
I have been recently watching old westerns since my old man gave me his Pre 64 30/30 Winchester. Some good ones that I have just watched: Rough Night in Jerico with Dean Martin and George Peppard, Duel at Diablo with James Garner and Sydney Pottier, and Joe Kidd with Clint Eastwood. All great movies and highly recommended.

waterboy
01-20-2012, 09:27 AM
They just don't make as many westerns as they used to. With today's special effects most of the movies that were popular then would be popular now, in my opinion. For instance, the remake of "3:10 to Yuma" was an excellent remake, as was "True Grit". I would like to see a good new western come out at least once every few months. I wouldn't care if it was a remake of an old movie, or a new story. I just love westerns. Are there any good books written anymore set in the old west. Louis L'amour had several really good books, but who else?

ronwx5x
01-20-2012, 09:35 AM
They just don't make as many westerns as they used to. With today's special effects most of the movies that were popular then would be popular now, in my opinion. For instance, the remake of "3:10 to Yuma" was an excellent remake, as was "True Grit". I would like to see a good new western come out at least once every few months. I wouldn't care if it was a remake of an old movie, or a new story. I just love westerns. Are there any good books written anymore set in the old west. Louis L'amour had several really good books, but who else?

Larry McMurtry, Archer City, Texas!

Bullaholic
01-20-2012, 10:33 AM
Following is a link to one of the best tributes to the old Western stars that I've seen:

http://oldfortyfives.com/thoseoldwesterns.htm

BEAST
01-20-2012, 10:58 AM
My favorite western is "The Outlaw Josey Wales" with Eastwood.

BEAST

waterboy
01-20-2012, 11:01 AM
My favorite western is "The Outlaw Josey Wales" with Eastwood.

BEAST
Mine, too. I've got it on DVD, and watch it about once a year. They just don't make movies like that one anymore..:confused:

Heffelfinger
01-20-2012, 02:04 PM
Elmer Kelton

Maroon87
01-20-2012, 06:24 PM
I can't believe Phil hasn't chimed in about "Dawn at Soccorro"...:cheerl:

3afan
01-20-2012, 06:53 PM
The Outlaw Josey Wales

turbostud
01-20-2012, 09:56 PM
High Plains Drifter is coming on in the next day or so. I am watching 40 Guns to Apache Pass right now with Audie Murphy.

I'm not sure how accurate these movies are, but the last thing you would want to do if you lived in those times is get captured alive by Apaches. Not sure about other tribes but their way of torturing was horrific.
Also very sad how Indian Tribes were treated.

regaleagle
01-20-2012, 10:34 PM
Thanks for that link, Bull. I guess us old guys can remember just nearly all of those old westerns starting from the 50's. I think we got our first TV in about 1958 or 59 when I was 4 or 5. Back then, TV's in the home were a real luxery. Lots of westerns all the time, even the oldies were played before my time. So I've been able to see just about every dang western movie, show, series, special, or what-have-you western that ever came down the pike. I'm not as old as some of you guys, only 57, but I do date back to the early years of TV. Heck, even having a telephone in the house wasn't commonplace til the mid-50's, as I recall. You had to be well-off back then to have those "modern" luxeries. Besides, society was much more agrarian back then. Most people just didn't really see the need.

Tejastrue
01-22-2012, 12:35 PM

It's called reality, as in TV, and it sucks. Selling a good western to the publishers these days has to be tough, unless Kim Kardasian was the name of one of the characters. I think many would appreciate a good western, I know I would.

On another note. One actor who is never mentioned has done some good westerns. Tom Selleck who has a great appreciation for Louis L'Amour's work, starred in several of his book to movie features such as The Sacketts, Crossfire Trail and Quigley Down Under. Sam Elliot is another worth noting.

Bullaholic
01-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Robert Duvall has to be one of the best.

Rabid Cougar
01-22-2012, 01:00 PM
"Unforgiven", "Tombstone" (both Kurt Russel and Kevin Costner's), "Dance's with Wolves", "Open Range", "True Grit", "Lonesome Dove" =some of the most realistic/best westerns made. The old John Wayne/John Ford westerns were and are still good.

Gene Hackman.

Roughneck93
01-22-2012, 01:09 PM
"Unforgiven", "Tombstone" (both Kurt Russel and Kevin Costner's), "Dance's with Wolves", "Open Range", "True Grit", "Lonesome Dove" =some of the most realistic/best westerns made. The old John Wayne/John Ford westerns were and are still good.Some of these you listed are the ones I'm more familiar with. Unforgiven, Tombstone(both), Dances with Wolves. I always find myself watching Geronimo: An American Legend when it comes on.

turbostud
01-22-2012, 01:24 PM
Those are all good movies, but the ones from the 60's and 50's are even better. Actors like James Garner, Dean Martin, Audie Murphy, Jimmy Stewart James Coburn made some great movies.

Willie Nelson in Barbarosa is another good movie.

AP Panther Fan
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
I watched the "True Grit" remake yesterday and enjoyed it. Jeff Bridges made a convincing Rooster Cogburn (but he certainly was hard to understand, at times). The young lady that played "Mattie Ross" was excellent. :)

bobcat1
01-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Big Jake, McClintock, Tombstone(Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer), Lonesome Dove, The Sacketts, Quigley, The Man from Snowy River, Young Guns, High Plains Drifter, Outlaw Josey Wales.............. I love all Westerns.

cr180t
01-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Anyone watch Hell on Wheels. It is a new western series

Rabid Cougar
01-23-2012, 10:47 PM
Deadwood is awesome.

turbostud
01-24-2012, 03:16 AM
Anyone watch Hell on Wheels. It is a new western series

I DVR'd the marathon the other day but havent watched it yet.

JustAFan
01-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Tom Selleck who has a great appreciation for Louis L'Amour's work, starred in several of his book to movie features such as The Sacketts, Crossfire Trail and Quigley Down Under. Sam Elliot is another worth noting. Quigley is not a L'Amour book.

Bullaholic
01-24-2012, 04:08 PM
While not exactly "Westerns", I always enjoyed "The Mountain Men" with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith, and "Jeremiah Johnson" with Robert Redford.

AP Panther Fan
01-24-2012, 06:55 PM
My favorite is probably "Wyatt Earp" with Kevin Costner, followed closely by "Lonesome Dove".

Not exactly a "western" (more during the early prohibition era)...my all time favorite movie is "A River Runs Through It" with Brad Pitt. It just does not get much better than that. :)

Tejastrue
01-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Quigley is not a L'Amour book.

Indeed it is not. Thanks for pointing that out. Had Tom Selleck movies in my head. It is one of my favorite westerns but with with a west meets "the down under" theme.

Tejastrue
01-24-2012, 07:43 PM
While not exactly "Westerns", I always enjoyed "The Mountain Men" with Charlton Heston and Brian Keith, and "Jeremiah Johnson" with Robert Redford.

Both very good. I really like "Jeremiah Johnson". Try to watch it any time it is on.