PDA

View Full Version : Picks and breaking down Region 1 bi-district

Matthew328
02-16-2003, 11:03 AM
Perryton (20-8) vs Littlefield (22-10)
One of the better bi-district matchups...Perryton was good enough to win most Region 1 districts but having Canyon in your district makes things tough..Littlefield placed 3rd in a tough 2-3A..gotta take the Rangers in this one...they could be a sleeper..Matt's pick: PERRYTON

Sweetwater (16-11) vs Monahans (14-15)
I think this one gets ugly, Sweetwater is playing their best basketball of the year...Carillo could lead the Mustangs a long way on the court as he did in football...Monahans backed into the playoffs out of a weak district..Sweetwater by 20+
Matt's pick: SWEETWATER

Vernon (16-12) vs Commanche (16-11)
A couple of teams that appear to be evenly matched, Vernon played in the tougher district and has more athleticism than does Commanche, but if Commanche controls tempo like they did against Wylie they could be dangerous...but I still like Vernon...Matt's pick: VERNON

Lake Dallas (20-8) vs FW Diamond Hill (21-11)
Another excellent Rd 1 matchup..LD has spent time in the top 20, they have an excellent coach and more athleticism than you think, DHJ has Vincent Tucker who can by himself make DHJ a dangerous team, if he gets help from Antonio Williams and Daniel Tuggs inside watch out for DHJ...I'll take LD in a close one..Matt's pick: LAKE DALLAS

Amarillo River Road (17-9) vs Dimmitt (19-13)
The defending regional champs have gotten zero discussion this year and quietly had a decent year considering the losses they had to graduation..I think Dimmitt and thier playoff experience take over late in this one...Matt's pick: DIMMITT

Seminole (11-19) vs Kermit (18-11)
A playoff game in New Mexico at Takser Arena in Hobbs..should be interesting..Seminole is a very good team at home..too bad they are a totally different team on the road..that makes the differnce..Matt's pick: KERMIT

Graham (14-16) vs Ballinger (13-13)
Once football season ended Ballinger started to play well even though their record isn't stellar...Graham made a late run and got 3rd in 5-3A..this one looks like a close one..I like Ballinger and that West Texas toughness late..Matt's pick: BALLINGER

Sanger (23-10) vs Kennedale (21-12)
Sanger is another team that made a late run to get into the playoffs winning Fri and Sat to get 3rd in 7-3A..will they be gased against a tough Kennedale team who is very athletic? I think they will be late..Matt's pick: KENNEDALE

So I have:
Perryton
Sweetwater
Vernon
Lake Dallas
Dimmitt
Kermit
Ballinger
Kennedale

Let's hear your picks! Especially from the boards biggest hoops fan J2K!!!

turbostud
02-16-2003, 11:08 AM
Hey Matthew, I think you are sucking me into this basketball thing. I have been so bored lately that I find myself really studying the uil playoff brackets.

big daddy russ
02-16-2003, 01:57 PM
I'm just gonna talk about what I know, R-IV...

Ingram Moore vs. LaVernia
LaVernia's a tough team and won't be challenged until they meet up with Edna in Round 2.

Hallettsville vs. Rice Consolidated
Rice is a team stocked with athletes and they made it out of a tough district, but Hallettsville is every bit as athletic and are extremely well-coached. Hallettsville in a nailbiter.

Pearsall vs. CC West Oso
It's been well over a decade since West Oso has failed to make it to the second round of the playoffs. Pencil 'em in for one more year.

Burnet vs. Somerset
Somerset was in the Regional Tourney last year and gave Aransas Pass a scare before bowing out. Although they lost some key ingredients to graduation, I think their playoff experience gets them to the second round.

Goliad vs. Wharton
Goliad made it out of the dogfight that is 27-3A, one of the most tradition-rich and toughest Districts in Region IV. But Wharton will be a little too much for the Tigers to contain.

Hondo vs. Sinton
Sinton's 14-14 record is a little deceiving. They came out of football late and didn't start clicking until the middle of the season. They put a lot of new faces on the court this year and now that they're playing more consistent basketball, look for them down the road.

Bishop vs. Port Isabel
Bishop's a very well-coached team and can play with a lot of teams, but Port Isabel should bring this one back to the valley.

<small>[ February 17, 2003, 08:45 AM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>

wildstangs
02-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Perryton
Sweetwater
Vernon
Diamond Hill
Dimmitt
Seminole
Ballinger
Kennedale

Jacket2000
02-16-2003, 10:57 PM
Matthew328:
One of the better bi-district matchups...Perryton was good enough to win most Region 1 districts but having Canyon in your district makes things tough..Littlefield placed 3rd in a tough 2-3A..gotta take the Rangers in this one...they could be a sleeper..Matt's pick: PERRYTON

I think this one gets ugly, Sweetwater is playing their best basketball of the year...Carillo could lead the Mustangs a long way on the court as he did in football...Monahans backed into the playoffs out of a weak district..Sweetwater by 20+
Matt's pick: SWEETWATER

A couple of teams that appear to be evenly matched, Vernon played in the tougher district and has more athleticism than does Commanche, but if Commanche controls tempo like they did against Wylie they could be dangerous...but I still like Vernon...Matt's pick: VERNON

Another excellent Rd 1 matchup..LD has spent time in the top 20, they have an excellent coach and more athleticism than you think, DHJ has Vincent Tucker who can by himself make DHJ a dangerous team, if he gets help from Antonio Williams and Daniel Tuggs inside watch out for DHJ...I'll take LD in a close one..Matt's pick: LAKE DALLAS

The defending regional champs have gotten zero discussion this year and quietly had a decent year considering the losses they had to graduation..I think Dimmitt and thier playoff experience take over late in this one...Matt's pick: DIMMITT

A playoff game in New Mexico at Takser Arena in Hobbs..should be interesting..Seminole is a very good team at home..too bad they are a totally different team on the road..that makes the differnce..Matt's pick: KERMIT

Once football season ended Ballinger started to play well even though their record isn't stellar...Graham made a late run and got 3rd in 5-3A..this one looks like a close one..I like Ballinger and that West Texas toughness late..Matt's pick: BALLINGER

Sanger is another team that made a late run to get into the playoffs winning Fri and Sat to get 3rd in 7-3A..will they be gased against a tough Kennedale team who is very athletic? I think they will be late..Matt's pick: KENNEDALE

So I have:
Perryton
Sweetwater
Vernon
Lake Dallas
Dimmitt
Kermit
Ballinger
Kennedale

Let's hear your picks! Especially from the boards biggest hoops fan J2K!!!Ok, time for the omniscient oracle to share his infinite wisdom on the irrelevent sport of pumpkinball. I'll start with R1.

I saw that Littlefield had a 270 lbs QB during the season. That in itself is enough to sway my vote, but I also saw remember when they lost to Ferris in the '94 finals. So, since they've been there before, I'll go with the Cats.

Sheesh, will Monahans ever go away? They seem to sneak into the playoffs with a piss-poor record in every sport! But, they always seem to string a few upsets before getting their butts handed to'em. Nevertheless, Im gonna go with S'water, in a very close one.

I know nothing about these teams. But, I do know that Vernon is much bigger than Commanche enrollement wise, so, I'll go with Vernon.

Whenever I think of LD I think of the beating they took in football. That's enough to make me pick against'em. My pick:Diamond Hill.

Dimmitt sounds alot like "damnit", and I figure any team that sounds like that should have an opposing coach saying it alot. I'll go with Dimmitt.

How does a team that loses 8 games more than they win get into the playoffs? And people wonder why I hate Thump Thump. The Kermitt Frogs take this one.(before you West Texans jump on me, I know that they're not the Frogs.)

Heads Graham, tails Ballinger. It's tails. I'll go with Ballinger.

After Kennedale's antics at the Everman game, I gotta go with Sanger.
Ok, only 3 more regions to go.(Lord, give me strength)
J2K

VWG
02-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Classic picks, J2K.... classic.

You could probably be a stockbroker these days the way you pick hoops games. I'm sure you could pick mutual funds and stocks better with your formula than mine could.