PDA

View Full Version : Goliad is Open

truebluestang
01-13-2012, 09:54 AM
Goliad will be dropping to 2A next year and is currently open. This should ge a good job to have.

YTBulldogs
01-13-2012, 10:48 AM
Goliad may be better off staying in that 3A district than that 2A one they most likely will be moving to.

truebluestang
01-13-2012, 12:09 PM
Goliad may be better off staying in that 3A district than that 2A one they most likely will be moving to.

Better off staying in 3A? They won one district game in two years.

44INAROW
01-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Better off staying in 3A? They won one district game in two years.
2A means Schulenberg, Hallettsville and Refugio.. not much easier :ack!: I honestly don't know much about the 2A district though so it might get easier after those 3

truebluestang
01-13-2012, 12:44 PM
Goliad would go Division 1. Schulenberg and Refugio are D2.

SintonFan_inAustin
01-13-2012, 01:51 PM
Better off staying in 3A? They won one district game in two years. other than the one win in two years, i don't think they were competative in any of the other games in district.

SintonFan
01-13-2012, 07:23 PM
other than the one win in two years, i don't think they were competative in any of the other games in district.

I think they could make the playoffs in 2A more consistently.

ExScoop
01-13-2012, 07:33 PM
Goliad is just not a football school-Moving down to 2A won't help much-A town without any standout athletes

HawkEye
01-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Why was Mark Cunningham not successful at Goliad? He came highly recommended from folks, even Bum Phillips. Was it him/his system, or is there a lack of athletic/football talent? I heard they have top notch facilities.

YTBulldogs
01-14-2012, 03:55 PM
Why was Mark Cunningham not successful at Goliad? He came highly recommended from folks, even Bum Phillips. Was it him/his system, or is there a lack of athletic/football talent? I heard they have top notch facilities.

Lack of athletes.

regaleagle
01-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Rubbish, YT. Maybe a lack of a decent program installed at the Jr. High level. At one time, Goliad won many district titles in many sports. That was all in the 50's, 60's, and 70's, but as late as the 8O''s a few quality kids were awarde D1 scholarships from that school. Many of the students do not live within the city limits of the town, but actually in small communities in the county. I would say maybe one third to one half of the students live in a countryfied setting. They do have the capacity to have a quality sports program there again. Just like you said, they have good facilities. Alot of oil and gas land owners live there. I know, cuz I grew up and graduated there in 1973. My mom worked at the ASCS office and helped all the farmers and ranchers with their programs. It's really a good little situation that needs the right guy to bring in a good overall athletic profile to the town. He will be supported.

YTBulldogs
01-14-2012, 07:13 PM
I have not seen Goliad have the athletes in years like I recall from the 80's. Taylor boy's were good, but---nothing like that for years or nothing in the pipeline from what I've seen down in CYFL Leagues or JH. That's what I was meaning, lacking athletes. Productive ones.

regaleagle
01-14-2012, 09:14 PM
That's probably true, but you would think taking some of those youngsters and installing a spread offense they can learn early may be able to improve their standing by high school. It's not like they are going anywhere. You basically have a captured group of athletes at a town like this. Generally speaking, you start with the Fresh. and JV squads as well as the Jr. Highers to start the winning. Then the trickle effect takes over for the grade schoolers. I haven't lived there since I went to college, but I do keep an interest level going. I kinda adopted Argyle where my son played as my main school now, esp. since I've lived in Denton Co. for 25 yrs. now. But when Coach Rodgers took the reins at Argyle, they were 2A, a new school with no football history(I think two yrs. with no Sr. class yet) and he took those boys(basically a basketball school), put in a program, let it trickle down, and it has been successful from inception with no losing seasons. It can be done.

YTBulldogs
01-14-2012, 09:18 PM
That's probably true, but you would think taking some of those youngsters and installing a spread offense they can learn early may be able to improve their standing by high school. It's not like they are going anywhere. You basically have a captured group of athletes at a town like this. Generally speaking, you start with the Fresh. and JV squads as well as the Jr. Highers to start the winning. Then the trickle effect takes over for the grade schoolers. I haven't lived there since I went to college, but I do keep an interest level going. I kinda adopted Argyle where my son played as my main school now, esp. since I've lived in Denton Co. for 25 yrs. now. But when Coach Rodgers took the reins at Argyle, they were 2A, a new school with no football history(I think two yrs. with no Sr. class yet) and he took those boys(basically a basketball school), put in a program, let it trickle down, and it has been successful from inception with no losing seasons. It can be done.

Sure it can happen. The community has to buy into too. We are trying to change things here and it's not easy.

regaleagle
01-14-2012, 09:33 PM
I guess Cunningham felt like he gave it his best shot, and it was time to move forward. Sometimes the timing, the people around you, the support group you originally started with, can all change or not ever materialize like you anticipated. Then it's time to take a realistic look for everyone's best interest. Sounds like that may have been the case here. You really have to just go forward to try and improve the situation and not look back. I'm sure it was a mutual deal on both sides of the fence here. Goliad does offer a quality lifestyle for a young go-getter to raise his kids and make a difference in the community. I hope they get somebody like that to recharge that athletic program.

YTBulldogs
01-14-2012, 09:36 PM
As I read the article in the Advocate, sounded like he was surprised and his only option was to resign or be fired. Sounded like the board wanted him out and they have someone else already in mind.

Regal, check your PM messages.

regaleagle
01-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the heads up, YT. If that is the case, it does not bode well for a new staff coming in, does it. Everyone will have to be committed together to turning the situation around, and sounds like that hasn't taken place at all. It will still have to start at the Jr. High and Fresh. levels, JMO. Regardless of who comes in, that is where the attention needs to be placed from the gitgo.

Rabid Cougar
01-15-2012, 11:18 AM
Or maybe the old "didn't play the right person" syndrome?

truebluestang
01-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Heard there was some back stabbing going on from one of the staff members who wants the job now. Typical!

Blue42
01-15-2012, 08:36 PM
I went to Goliad and played football we had 4 different head coaches in the 4 years when I was there.

T-Time
01-16-2012, 10:36 AM
If there is proof that there was some stabing going on, that person needs to be gone also.