PDA

View Full Version : Callahan NAmed Cowboys Offensive Coordinator

GrTigers6
01-13-2012, 08:48 AM
http://espn.go.com/dallas/
If they give him full control including play calling I think the Cowboys will compete well next year!

Old Tiger
01-13-2012, 08:57 AM
If they give him full control including play calling I think the Cowboys will compete well next year!lol...offense wasn't the problem.

ronwx5x
01-13-2012, 09:00 AM
If they give him full control including play calling I think the Cowboys will compete well next year!

In the same article:

"Yet, quarterback Tony Romo had a career-high 102.5 quarterback rating and was one of just four quarterbacks to have at least a rating of 100 during the 2011 regular season. Romo, who threw 31 touchdowns and 10 interceptions, was seventh in the NFL with 4,184 yards."

GrTigers6
01-13-2012, 09:09 AM
lol...offense wasn't the problem.Offensive line play and play calling was, and he is very good at both areas

Old Tiger
01-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Offensive line play and play calling was, and he is very good at both areasoffense still produced. Lack of a runningback due to injuries hurt the cowboys on offense more than line play and playcalling.

I've never been too impressed with Callahan to say that he would make automatically improve a team.

Cowboys need to worry about the D more than the offense IMO.

GrTigers6
01-13-2012, 09:19 AM
offense still produced. Lack of a runningback due to injuries hurt the cowboys on offense more than line play and playcalling.

I've never been too impressed with Callahan to say that he would make automatically improve a team.

Cowboys need to worry about the D more than the offense IMO.. Poor line play hurt the running game more than anything. we still had Felix to run. Also The offense averaged i believed 23 points a game. Thats not very good over all. Middle of the pack if Im guessing right

Roughneck93
01-13-2012, 09:41 AM
So, since Garrett will still be calling the plays, how is this going to help him manage the game better?

YTBulldogs
01-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Secondary and Jerry Jones having his hand in the war room on draft day is their issue.

Emerson1
01-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Jerry Jones having his hand in the war room on draft day is their issue.

How so? Cause he likes to draft Arkansas kids cause he's biased?

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2012, 10:11 AM
So, since Garrett will still be calling the plays, how is this going to help him manage the game better?

HE will help because it lessens Garrett decision making..Will JG will still call the plays, it will be Callahan in his ear basically giving him thoughts, blocks of plays to use etc etc...He will also probably be over the groupings so JG does not have to worry about who is in

More so IMO his biggest impact wil come during week with building of game plan allowing JG to worry about bigger things

And Old Tiger...this is not about Dallas more worried about O, they had to make a hire cause their OL coach retired

Roughneck93
01-13-2012, 10:35 AM
HE will help because it lessens Garrett decision making..Will JG will still call the plays, it will be Callahan in his ear basically giving him thoughts, blocks of plays to use etc etc...He will also probably be over the groupings so JG does not have to worry about who is in

More so IMO his biggest impact wil come during week with building of game plan allowing JG to worry about bigger things

And Old Tiger...this is not about Dallas more worried about O, they had to make a hire cause their OL coach retired

I agree with you on his impact being more felt during game week. Just don't think Garrett needs another coach in his ear during the game. That's why I think Callahan was given the title in order to sign him.

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2012, 12:02 PM
I agree with you on his impact being more felt during game week. Just don't think Garrett needs another coach in his ear during the game. That's why I think Callahan was given the title in order to sign him.

See I think he does need it..especially those vital decisons

STANG RED
01-13-2012, 03:06 PM
I dont know how much difference this will make, if any. Better play calling is needed for sure, so it might help some there. But if the Cowboys dont get better O line play, and much better D back play, next season will be another long one, somewhere near 500.

Farmersfan
01-13-2012, 04:42 PM
lol...offense wasn't the problem.

Seems to me both parts of this team need help equally.

Overall ranking: Offense #11, Defense #14
total yards: Offense #11, defense #14

waterboy
01-13-2012, 05:24 PM
Jason Garrett does need an offensive coordinator to take some of the load off. It was not necessarily the play calling, but the play calling coupled with the player packages on the field that hurt the offense, especially in the red zone. Not to mention, the clock management improvement when you have somebody whose full-time job is to stay on top of what's happening on every play will most definitely help. JG was on overload in some critical situations this past season, and it definitely showed. I think that mental overload actually cost them two games this past season, in my opinion, because the offense did what it needed to win. The defense was the main culprit in the other two games they should've definitely won. I think the Cowboys most certainly "should've" went 12-4 this past season.

regaleagle
01-13-2012, 05:29 PM
Apparently, the road to the Super Bowl is as long as it has been in a long while for the Cowboys. But they do have some key talent to build around, and who's to say some younger, albeit less experienced players may not make an immediate impact on this team that DOES have its skilled position players signed. Could the secondary and O line be even worse next year with new players filling some of those positions? I don't think so. That means the road may not be as long as it appears now. Let's see what happens come draft day, and the days leading up to Sept.

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Seems to me both parts of this team need help equally.

Overall ranking: Offense #11, Defense #14
total yards: Offense #11, defense #14

D has more actual holes..O has just 2-3 really

SintonFan
01-13-2012, 06:56 PM

I don't know why, but for some reason, this doesn't excite me very much.:(

yellaseeker
01-13-2012, 09:49 PM
I don't know why, but for some reason, this doesn't excite me very much.:(

I agree but, i'm hard to please. What would really excite me would be a for sale sign lit up on the jumbotron.

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2012, 09:51 PM
I agree but, i'm hard to please. What would really excite me would be a for sale sign lit up on the jumbotron.

I hate what Jones does at times as a GM, but I never want another owner like Bright..dont assume we would get a great owner who would do anything to win..just as likely to get one wanting to milk the cash cow that is Dallas

yellaseeker
01-13-2012, 10:28 PM
I hate what Jones does at times as a GM, but I never want another owner like Bright..dont assume we would get a great owner who would do anything to win..just as likely to get one wanting to milk the cash cow that is Dallas

I agree with that but, at this point, i'd roll the dice. Only person that even comes close j.j. on my list of disliked football owners/coaches and that's jerry glanville. Must be a jerry thing. Man i wish whitten would go to a better team.

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2012, 10:31 PM
I agree with that but, at this point, i'd roll the dice. Only person that ev comes close j.j. on my list of st disliked football owners/coaches and that's jerry glanville. Must be a jerry thing. Man i wish whitten would go to a better team.

IMO we arenot there yet...We were back in late 90's early 2000's when 5-11 was the norm..but at least for now Dallas is a team in contention...As long as they stay that I would rather have what we have now....if they revert back to 5-11 every year then I agree 100%

Eagle 1
01-14-2012, 12:12 AM
I guess since the Cowboys missed the playoffs, then old Jerry is re-thinking this OC thing.
--------------------------------------------------

Jason Garrett ignores Jimmy Johnson's advice
November, 9, 2011
By Tim MacMahon
IRVING, Texas -- Jason Garrett respectfully disagrees with his former head coach on the subject of the Cowboys’ need for an offensive coordinator.

Garrett has served as the Cowboys’ head coach and offensive coordinator for the last 16 games. Jimmy Johnson believes Garrett would do a better job in the former role if he hired someone else to do the latter.

"He needs to become a head coach,” Johnson said on Fox’s pregame show Sunday. “It may be time to think -- not for this year but for next year -- hire an offensive coordinator to call the plays and be the head coach."

Garrett made it clear Wednesday that he has no intention to consider hiring an offensive coordinator.

“That can be an opinion that he might have and other people might have, but right now we feel good about the structure of our staff and that’s what we’ll do going forward,” Garrett said.

Owner/general manager Jerry Jones wouldn’t want it any other way. He has said several times in recent years that he wants a head coach who is in charge of one side of the ball.

"Jimmy was what I call a walk-around coach." Jones said Tuesday on KRLD-FM. “[Bill] Parcells was a walk-around coach. [Former Redskins coach] Joe Gibbs is a guy who believes that the head coach needs to be in charge of either the offense or the defense and needs to be the coordinator. It brings you stature, it involves you in the game and gives you more respect with the players.

"It's different schools of thought. I've always thought that Jason Garrett could handle coordinating as well as being the head coach."

The most successful Cowboys coach of the Jerry era has a different opinion. Just like old times for Jimmy and Jerry, huh?

By the way, does anybody think Johnson or Parcells had any problems with their "stature" during their Valley Ranch reigns?

GrTigers6
01-14-2012, 09:06 AM
I guess since the Cowboys missed the playoffs, then old Jerry is re-thinking this OC thing.
--------------------------------------------------

Jason Garrett ignores Jimmy Johnson's advice
November, 9, 2011
By Tim MacMahon
IRVING, Texas -- Jason Garrett respectfully disagrees with his former head coach on the subject of the Cowboys’ need for an offensive coordinator.

Garrett has served as the Cowboys’ head coach and offensive coordinator for the last 16 games. Jimmy Johnson believes Garrett would do a better job in the former role if he hired someone else to do the latter.

"He needs to become a head coach,” Johnson said on Fox’s pregame show Sunday. “It may be time to think -- not for this year but for next year -- hire an offensive coordinator to call the plays and be the head coach."

Garrett made it clear Wednesday that he has no intention to consider hiring an offensive coordinator.

“That can be an opinion that he might have and other people might have, but right now we feel good about the structure of our staff and that’s what we’ll do going forward,” Garrett said.

Owner/general manager Jerry Jones wouldn’t want it any other way. He has said several times in recent years that he wants a head coach who is in charge of one side of the ball.

"Jimmy was what I call a walk-around coach." Jones said Tuesday on KRLD-FM. “[Bill] Parcells was a walk-around coach. [Former Redskins coach] Joe Gibbs is a guy who believes that the head coach needs to be in charge of either the offense or the defense and needs to be the coordinator. It brings you stature, it involves you in the game and gives you more respect with the players.

"It's different schools of thought. I've always thought that Jason Garrett could handle coordinating as well as being the head coach."

The most successful Cowboys coach of the Jerry era has a different opinion. Just like old times for Jimmy and Jerry, huh?

By the way, does anybody think Johnson or Parcells had any problems with their "stature" during their Valley Ranch reigns?Problem is Garrett is a new head coach and may not have figured out how to juggle everything yet. It seemed clear to me that he needed some help at times, and callahan is one of the best available offensive minds out there

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2012, 10:19 AM
Problem is Garrett is a new head coach

this times a thousand

Tom Landry would never have been able to coach in this era because people expect coaches to be perfect the moment they become HC.

Eagle 1
01-14-2012, 11:35 AM
this times a thousand

Tom Landry would never have been able to coach in this era because people expect coaches to be perfect the moment they become HC.

I wouldn't go as far to say he would have never been able to coach in this era, but I agree peoples expectations are high these days.
Of course the Cowboys haven't made it past the divisional playoffs since 1996. As a Cowboy fan I can see why we have high expectations, since we use to be America's team. Like I said, the farther this playoff drought goes, the harder it is to be a Cowboys fan.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2012, 12:05 PM
I wouldn't go as far to say he would have never been able to coach in this era, but I agree peoples expectations are high these days.
Of course the Cowboys haven't made it past the divisional playoffs since 1996. As a Cowboy fan I can see why we have high expectations, since we use to be America's team. Like I said, the farther this playoff drought goes, the harder it is to be a Cowboys fan.

I dont mean just cowboy fans I mean overall

YTBulldogs
01-14-2012, 12:11 PM
What upsets me about my Cowboys is that they have everything to be a winner, and attract the best players. Deep pocket owner, finest of facilities, strong fan base---yet they can't accumulate the players to get it done. This tell's me, Jerry needs to butt out of the player personnel aspect of this organization. Most importantly, the draft portion. Hire a top notch draft guru and pay him what he wants, and get the winning type players into Cowboy Country. Productive type players should be lining up to play for us.

Not sure Jerry's ego will allow for this. Cause he played college ball and thinks he knows it all.

Txbroadcaster
01-14-2012, 12:15 PM
What upsets me about my Cowboys is that they have everything to be a winner, and attract the best players. Deep pocket owner, finest of facilities, strong fan base---yet they can't accumulate the players to get it done. This tell's me, Jerry needs to butt out of the player personnel aspect of this organization. Most importantly, the draft portion. Hire a top notch draft guru and pay him what he wants, and get the winning type players into Cowboy Country. Productive type players should be lining up to play for us.

Not sure Jerry's ego will allow for this. Cause he played college ball and thinks he knows it all.

Well and the fact he did give the reigns over to someone in Parcells and the results were not what Jones thought they would be. This showed Jones IMO that hiring someone else to run the team would not matter