PDA

View Full Version : Need some GPS help

STANG RED
01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
Some of you know that I travel all over the country for my job. Well believe it or not, I've done it all without a GPS. Well I'm now ready to join the 21st century, especially after taking a few wrong turns on my last trip home from NY. I'm about ready to head back to NY in a few days, and think I may want to get a good nav system before heading out. This time I'm heading way upstate, just 70 mi south of Montreal. Problem is, I dont know much about them, and dont want to pay a monthly fee for something I wont be using all that much. Once I get to an area I'm working in, I usually work 6-7 days per week, for a few months at a time. So I dont have much time for driving around and just exploring. But I'd like to have one I can call on when needed, and have the confidence it will get my where I need to go, on a route that makes sense, and doesnt cost me an arm and a leg. Is that asking too much? Maybe, but thats why I'm asking. Also, I want something thats simple to use as possible. Maybe even interface with my computer for laying out a route.

RoyceTTU
01-11-2012, 12:03 PM
Some of you know that I travel all over the country for my job. Well believe it or not, I've done it all without a GPS. Well I'm now ready to join the 21st century, especially after taking a few wrong turns on my last trip home from NY. I'm about ready to head back to NY in a few days, and think I may want to get a good nav system before heading out. This time I'm heading way upstate, just 70 mi south of Montreal. Problem is, I dont know much about them, and dont want to pay a monthly fee for something I wont be using all that much. Once I get to an area I'm working in, I usually work 6-7 days per week, for a few months at a time. So I dont have much time for driving around and just exploring. But I'd like to have one I can call on when needed, and have the confidence it will get my where I need to go, on a route that makes sense, and doesnt cost me an arm and a leg. Is that asking too much? Maybe, but thats why I'm asking. Also, I want something thats simple to use as possible. Maybe even interface with my computer for laying out a route.

I just use my phone and google maps app.

I have an Iphone now and had a blackberry before.

Cam
01-11-2012, 12:18 PM
yeah...everybody is just using their Iphones now. I still like my $99 Garmin (Wal-Mart or Best Buy)...works great. First time I ever used one was in Maryland. Yep, I didn't know where I was but I knew where I was goin' thanks to my Garmin!...On occasions, the Garmin bitch stutters or screws up...and eventually, you'll end up tryin' to strike up a conversation with her....Anyway, every once in a while, you might upgrade the maps which you purchase separately.

Bullaholic
01-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Like Cam said, Stang--the $99 Garmin would probably do you just fine. If you have an IPhone4, there is a free APP called GPS Drive that works pretty well.

ronwx5x
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Another vote for the Garmin. I have the Nuvi that conveniently displays the current speed limit also. I did update it recently which costs $49.95 but it is 3 years old and didn't even have my current address. Use it all the time. It sometimes leads you down a road you might otherwise avoid but it has never failed to get me where I want to go.

STANG RED
01-11-2012, 01:33 PM
I have a two blackberries, one personal and one for work. One is verizon and the other is att. Both have map apps on them, but I may not be using them to their full extent. I can pinpoint any destination on either of them, but dont know how to lay out the entire trip, that will give me turn by turn directions, if thats possible. Guess I need to play with them a bit more. The small screen is sure hard to read sometimes though, and I dont think you can get audible directions. I also like the idea of a bigger screen sitting on my dash, constantly showing my trip progress, and letting me know ahead of time of what lane to be in and how far to exits etc... My friend had one that we used on our trip to Canton NY, and our trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto. It sure was handy, and directed us to right where we wanted to go.

RoyceTTU
01-11-2012, 01:50 PM
I have a two blackberries, one personal and one for work. One is verizon and the other is att. Both have map apps on them, but I may not be using them to their full extent. I can pinpoint any destination on either of them, but dont know how to lay out the entire trip, that will give me turn by turn directions, if thats possible. Guess I need to play with them a bit more. The small screen is sure hard to read sometimes though, and I dont think you can get audible directions. I also like the idea of a bigger screen sitting on my dash, constantly showing my trip progress, and letting me know ahead of time of what lane to be in and how far to exits etc... My friend had one that we used on our trip to Canton NY, and our trip to Niagara Falls and Toronto. It sure was handy, and directed us to right where we wanted to go.

Google Maps does have turn by turn but it isn't real-time or audible. It's really no different than going to the internet and plotting your coarse. As far as the others, I've played with Garmin, Nuvi and Tom-Tom and they all are comperable to each other.

You really can't go wrong no more than your going to be using it.

Old Green
01-11-2012, 05:16 PM
Garmin 750 Nuvi. It is a very good one. It can be programed to give you direction over your radio's speakers. It also has the features to let you know points of interest, hotels, gas stations, restaraunts, hospitals. and detours and road construction. It also gives you pinpoint GPS coordinates. My coworkers gave me mine as a retirement present and can be updated by plugging it into your computer. Costs about $250.00

Cam
01-11-2012, 05:34 PM
All this GPS talk got me in a limerick mood.......

I've been many miles all alone with Miss Garmin,
That sweet subtle voice oh so so charming.
Somewhere on a lonely road in the state of Tennessee,
Finally got the guts to ask, "will you go out with me?"
"Recalculating, and my name is really Marvin"!!!!:eek::eek:

Bullaholic
01-11-2012, 05:41 PM
All this GPS talk got me in a limerick mood.......

I've been many miles all alone with Miss Garmin,
That sweet subtle voice oh so so charming.
Somewhere on a lonely road in the state of Tennessee,
Finally got the guts to ask, "will you go out with me?"
"Recalculating, and my name is really Marvin"!!!!:eek::eek:

:clap: You ain't got a gun, but you're killin' me, Cam...:D Nice work!

STANG RED
01-11-2012, 08:14 PM
I just thought of something. I actually have onstar in my pickup, but once my subscription to the free turn by turn navigation ran out, I didnt re-subscribe, becuase I dont have the built in screen. Does anyone know if they make an aftermarket screen for onstar, that just plugs in and works like a tom tom, but uses onstar? If they have such a thing, I wouldnt mind reactivating my onstar navigation. All I use onstar for now is the phone and the monthly diagnostics.

YTBulldogs
01-11-2012, 08:19 PM
My cheap TomTom works well. Get's me to the stadiums.

BaseballUmp
01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I've got a Garmin and my stepdad has one too and he drives an 18 wheeler. Works pretty good for me, just program it how you want and it works great.

STANG RED
01-12-2012, 04:41 PM
Well here is what I ended up getting. It was on clearence at Walmart for $62, marked down from $139. I've played with it a little, and it seems pretty simple, and I think it will serve my needs.

Magellan RoadMate 3120-MU 4.7" GPS Unit:

•4.7" touchscreen, Presents information clearly and brightly for optimal navigation
•Highway Lane Assist, Realistic highway signs point you in the right direction when approaching interchanges and exits
•Spoken Street Name Guidance, Hear street names and directions from your Magellan 4.7" GPS
•QuickSpell with SmartCity Search, Enter destinations with only a few touches
•Multi-destination routing, Plan a trip with multiple stops in the order you want or will optimize it for the most efficient route
•6 million Points of Interest (POIs), Millions of destinations are searchable from the huge POI database
•Highway Exit POI, Search Search for gas stations, restaurants, hotels and more near upcoming highway exits
•USB port, Used to transfer data from a compatible PC to the GPS receiver for potential future software updates and installing custom POIs on compatible units. On some compatible products the USB port will also serve as a power plug when a compatible VPA (Vehicle Power Adapter) or AC wall adapter is connected to it.
Magellan RoadMate 3120-MU GPS receiver comes with:
•pre-loaded maps of the United States and Puerto Rico
•windshield mount
•vehicle power adapter
•USB cable
•and user manual

BwdLion_80
01-12-2012, 05:42 PM
Free Iphone4 app is mapquest! Real time turn by turn and voice! Lots better than the Tom Tom that I had. The best part is, IT'S FREE!

Maroon87
01-12-2012, 05:52 PM
Another vote for the Garmin. I have the Nuvi that conveniently displays the current speed limit also. I did update it recently which costs $49.95 but it is 3 years old and didn't even have my current address. Use it all the time. It sometimes leads you down a road you might otherwise avoid but it has never failed to get me where I want to go.

Ditto.