PDA

View Full Version : The good ol' days of high school football

Cam
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
I remember when I was a kid going to my older sister's high school games. The Robert E. Lee Generals in Houston. Back then, everyone really went all out to decorate their cars with streamers, shoe polish, flags, and even posters taped to dang cars. Games at Butler Stadium, Delmar Stadium...against teams like Waltrip, Kashmere, Spring Branch, etc....and their awesome bands (I was amazed just watchin' Kashmere's fans & students dancin' in the stands the entire game with their non-stop playin' band...like a great big party!)

But, as you would almost expect, decorating your cars like that during away games came with a price at times.....I remember one game at Butler Stadium (don't remember the opponent) where we got to the car after the game only to find all 4 tires had been slashed!!...funny thing is, I don't remember how we got home that night....

Last year, I wondered if puttin' a Burnet helmet logo on my car window would have any repercussions...so I tried...well, didn't take long! One day at the Marble Falls Walmart I came to my car only to see a nice big scratch all the way down the side and a little Mustang logo painted in lipstick next to my logo!...guess as far as that goes, things really haven't changed all that much.....but I sure do miss seeing those long lines of decorated cars rollin' down the highway.....
Anybody else think high school football is at least a little different these days?

Bullaholic
01-11-2012, 11:41 AM
I remember when I was a kid going to my older sister's high school games. The Robert E. Lee Generals in Houston. Back then, everyone really went all out to decorate their cars with streamers, shoe polish, flags, and even posters taped to dang cars. Games at Butler Stadium, Delmar Stadium...against teams like Waltrip, Kashmere, Spring Branch, etc....and their awesome bands (I was amazed just watchin' Kashmere's fans & students dancin' in the stands the entire game with their non-stop playin' band...like a great big party!)

But, as you would almost expect, decorating your cars like that during away games came with a price at times.....I remember one game at Butler Stadium (don't remember the opponent) where we got to the car after the game only to find all 4 tires had been slashed!!...funny thing is, I don't remember how we got home that night....

Last year, I wondered if puttin' a Burnet helmet logo on my car window would have any repercussions...so I tried...well, didn't take long! One day at the Marble Falls Walmart I came to my car only to see a nice big scratch all the way down the side and a little Mustang logo painted in lipstick next to my logo!...guess as far as that goes, things really haven't changed all that much.....but I sure do miss seeing those long lines of decorated cars rollin' down the highway.....
Anybody else think high school football is at least a little different these days?

Eyes will roll if us old guys start talking about the "good ol' days", Cam---and you know what--I don't care. I'm as nostalgic as they come, and when my time comes, I will die with my core beliefs strongly intact along with a ton of cherished fond memories of "the good ol' days" back when a lot of "good ol'" things mattered to a lot of people.

toddg
01-11-2012, 12:48 PM
i miss the good old days too...when the bleachers were full of cheering fans..and not focused on their smartphones.

Bullaholic
01-11-2012, 01:46 PM
I remember when games were discussed in local coffee shops.

I remember when coaches were called "coach" for a first name.

I remember when cheerleaders actually watched games and kept up with the score between cheers.

I remember when fans sang the Star Spangled Banner and everyone removed their caps or hats and placed their hand over their hearts.

I remember when prayers were said over the PA before games.

I remember when most parents came to watch their sons play.

SHSBulldog00
01-11-2012, 01:51 PM

I remember when cheerleaders actually watched games and kept up with the score between cheers.

I remember when fans sang the Star Spangled Banner and everyone removed their caps or hats and placed their hand over their hearts.

:clap: I do too!!!

Most of it still happens here.

BEAST
01-11-2012, 01:56 PM

Every bit of that still happens in Brownwood, even the prayer.

BEAST

Bullaholic
01-11-2012, 01:58 PM
:clap: I do too!!!

Most of it still happens here.

I was speaking in general, SHS. A lot of the good things are still done by most folks here in Bridgeport, and a lot of other places, too, but a lot of the old way good things seem to be slipping everywhere as time goes by.

SHSBulldog00
01-11-2012, 02:02 PM
I was speaking in general, SHS. A lot of the good things are still done by most folks here in Bridgeport, and a lot of other places, too, but a lot of the old way good things seem to be slipping everywhere as time goes by.

I gotcha.

Remember when you didn't have to have the police at the sporting events?

Bullaholic
01-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I gotcha.

Remember when you didn't have to have the police at the sporting events?

Yea--they need the National Guard at some games now.

(Not saying this is good or bad)-I remember when teams threw only when they had to, and usually to some big tall player, not to a short, fast, little one...

SHSBulldog00
01-11-2012, 02:33 PM
Yea--they need the National Guard at some games now.

(Not saying this is good or bad)-I remember when teams threw only when they had to, and usually to some big tall player, not to a short, fast, little one...

They are at ALL of our games.

GrTigers6
01-11-2012, 03:11 PM
I still cant believe that in 2004 we had to walk thru metal detectors to go to a stadium in Fort Worth, Handley Field if I remember correctly. Crazy and the field I played on doesnt even have a fence around it. LOL

Pendragon13
01-11-2012, 03:57 PM

Still happens, especially in the smaller towns

Most people who know who they are still call coaches "coach"

I don't remember that ever happening..lol

Still the majority do that....at the high school level at least.

Still a regular thing in west Texas

Sometimes for the teams that aren't doing well...parents and family of the players are the majority of the people in the stands.

MGAR
01-11-2012, 04:05 PM
I remember running hills for every point the defense gave up.

I also remember running through signs that the cheerleaders spent the week making. We didn't care that half the words always seemed to be misspelled. It was cool.

and after a score the crowd cheered instead of a freaking horn.

OldNavy
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
I remember when the cheerleaders would decorate the down town square with streamers and would paint and letter the windows. It was pretty impressive. Then Saturday morning, we would be at the fieldhouse dressing our wounds and discussing the next game and the cheerleaders would be down town cleaning the windows and removing the streamers and decorations getting ready to do it again for the next weeks game.

Today, the cheerleaders don't have time to decorate, much less clean up. They have cheer practice, volley ball and cross country practice and on saturday's they run cross country. The boys still tend their wounds, but now go over their game grade and then start looking at film of the next opponent. I think we may have had two or three games filmed when I played. Schools now have at least two cameras covering every game.

I don't know how the kids do all they do today. School, athletics, volunteer work, AP classes, dual credit classes. I am just glad they do what they do.

Txbroadcaster
01-11-2012, 05:29 PM
I dont ever remember the cheerleaders knowing the score or keeping up with the game..I always remember them just knowing when it was time to cheer and nothing else

Matthew328
01-11-2012, 05:45 PM
I still cant believe that in 2004 we had to walk thru metal detectors to go to a stadium in Fort Worth, Handley Field if I remember correctly. Crazy and the field I played on doesnt even have a fence around it. LOL

They were doing that when I was in HS in the late 1990s

ronwx5x
01-11-2012, 07:06 PM
At Woodforest Stadium in The Woodlands you not only have to walk through a metal detector but empty your pockets beforehand. They threatened to take away my little 3" pocket knife! Lighters are also a no no. Nice stadium otherwise though.

GrTigers6
01-11-2012, 07:14 PM
They were doing that when I was in HS in the late 1990sWell i guess im just ole country folk then, LOL Look at things different growing up in a small town, Hell I carried my shotgun and rifle to school every day either in the back windshield or behind the seat. LOL

YTBulldogs
01-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Well i guess im just ole country folk then, LOL Look at things different growing up in a small town, Hell I carried my shotgun and rifle to school every day either in the back windshield or behind the seat. LOL

yup.:iagree:

Old LB
01-11-2012, 07:28 PM
Played 2 years of 6 man ball at Brookesmith around '81-'82ish, remember everyone would back their pick-ups in along the sidelines to watch the games. Had to be careful not to run to far out of bounds and hit a truck, they tend not to give.

I think the homecoming bonfires where the best memories, we always spent weeks building the piles, what a fire. My senior year our rivals came over and torched ours in the middle of the night and they stopped having it after that.

bobcat1
01-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Eyes will roll if us old guys start talking about the "good ol' days", Cam---and you know what--I don't care. I'm as nostalgic as they come, and when my time comes, I will die with my core beliefs strongly intact along with a ton of cherished fond memories of "the good ol' days" back when a lot of "good ol'" things mattered to a lot of people.Well said my brother!

bobcat1
01-11-2012, 08:31 PM

I remember when most parents came to watch their sons play.Sounds like Celina still today!

lostaussie
01-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Well i guess im just ole country folk then, LOL Look at things different growing up in a small town, Hell I carried my shotgun and rifle to school every day either in the back windshield or behind the seat. LOLYou so right...........had a 30 30 on a gunrack in the back glass which was used to go deer hunting after school.

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2012, 06:34 PM
Well i guess im just ole country folk then, LOL Look at things different growing up in a small town, Hell I carried my shotgun and rifle to school every day either in the back windshield or behind the seat. LOL

your not going to be able to do that in any small town today

greendawg84
01-13-2012, 09:10 AM

And nobody stole them even when you left the windows down all day with the keys in the ignition!

GrTigers6
01-13-2012, 09:21 AM
your not going to be able to do that in any small town todayNope not anymore, although there may be more likely to dismiss it if found than a inner city school who finds a butter knife!

GrTigers6
01-13-2012, 09:22 AM
And nobody stole them even when you left the windows down all day with the keys in the ignition!Nope, Never mis[laced my keys back then because they never left the ignition