PDA

View Full Version : Illegal Procedure Penalty

Bullaholic
01-10-2012, 05:32 PM
Illegal Procedure is another penalty that I would like to see modified to be called only if an offensive lineman pulls a hand off the ground or moves a foot. The foot movement would apply to the receivers and backs, also. In addition, the refs should have the latitude to call the penalty if a player makes a movement flagrant enough to clearly be trying to draw an offside penalty on the defense even though a hand was not picked up or a foot moved. Currently a lineman cannot even twitch his nose without getting called, and to me that is pretty pitty-pat and sometimes has major game implications.

coachc45
01-10-2012, 05:42 PM
I like it as is. The offensive player already has the advantage of knowing the snap count, if he can't hold still knowing when the ball is snapped then he deserves to get a penalty. They already have the advantage why make it even more of an advantage?

Bullaholic
01-10-2012, 05:52 PM
I like it as is. The offensive player already has the advantage of knowing the snap count, if he can't hold still knowing when the ball is snapped then he deserves to get a penalty. They already have the advantage why make it even more of an advantage?

Advantage? Pretty hard for a 300lb+ player to remain absolutely motionless after playing a while---muscle cramps, fatigue, loss of balance, etc. Besides, the defense should be mostly watching the ball as well as the player. You must have been an old defensive player, coach...:D

bobcat1
01-10-2012, 09:40 PM
Advantage? Pretty hard for a 300lb+ player to remain absolutely motionless after playing a while---muscle cramps, fatigue, loss of balance, etc. Besides, the defense should be mostly watching the ball as well as the player. You must have been an old defensive player, coach...:DThey can do it Bullaholic. The part I don't like is encroachment or nuetral zone infraction, when it is called even though the Defensive guy got back before the ball was snapped. That is a weak call.........

CenTexSports
01-11-2012, 06:38 AM
There is no such penalty in NCAA or UIL rules (Illegal procedure). The false start signal is used for mulitiple penalities (kick out of bounds for example) and fans and most field announcers call the signal illegal procedure but ALL penalities are illegal procedures.

Just FYI.

GrTigers6
01-11-2012, 07:53 AM
Illegal Procedure is another penalty that I would like to see modified to be called only if an offensive lineman pulls a hand off the ground or moves a foot. The foot movement would apply to the receivers and backs, also. In addition, the refs should have the latitude to call the penalty if a player makes a movement flagrant enough to clearly be trying to draw an offside penalty on the defense even though a hand was not picked up or a foot moved. Currently a lineman cannot even twitch his nose without getting called, and to me that is pretty pitty-pat and sometimes has major game implications.Well then why not stop defensive holding, because they shouldnt be as fast as the recievers and have to slow them down! We shouldnt expect them to run backwards as fast as the recievers run forward!:D

Trench Warrior
01-11-2012, 02:27 PM
The game is already geared towards the offense. Why not give them something else. Heck they can already all get down, and then pop back up when they check to their coach.

Bullaholic
01-11-2012, 03:04 PM
The game is already geared towards the offense. Why not give them something else. Heck they can already all get down, and then pop back up when they check to their coach.

Baloney. You defense guys can jump around anywhere, as many times as you want and the poor ol' offensive lineman has to pick all of you up without even turning his head while listening for the snap count or having to watch only the ball in a noisy stadium...:D

CenTexSports
01-11-2012, 10:09 PM
Wrong on popping back up. If the linemen get in position with their hands below their knees, they are restricted from getting out of that position.