PDA

View Full Version : Play Calling Signals..

Bullaholic
01-10-2012, 05:17 PM
O.k. coaches and fans....without revealing any "trade" secrets how do sideline hand signals, signs, and audible voice to QB (NFL only) generally work and mean? Tell us about the components of each. How much variation is there in what the QB barks from HS to pros?

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2012, 05:22 PM
O.k. coaches and fans....without revealing any "trade" secrets how do sideline hand signals, signs, and audible voice to QB (NFL only) generally work and mean? Tell us about the components of each. How much variation is there in what the QB barks from HS to pros?

That is a individual system thing...some are as simple as one word..Rocket and the players know the play..others go into what each route is run

BEAST
01-10-2012, 05:24 PM

Man there are so many different ways to call in a play just in HS alone. Some have multiple coaches hold up different color signs. Only 1 is correct. The color tells the QB which column on the wrist band the play will be. Then other coaches will throw numbers out, again only one of the coaches is the right one. Thus you get "Yellow 13". The QB looks at it on the band and off we go. Different coaches do it differently but that is what is going on, getting the Qb to know which play on the wristband the coaches want to run.

BEAST

MJMbrahmas10
01-10-2012, 05:53 PM
My off cord. In high school pointed at sky for blue, ground for green, shirt for red, etc. then hold up numbers. Go to colored section then number. I don't understand the poster boards with random pictures. Seems like way to much

Bullaholic
01-10-2012, 05:58 PM
My off cord. In high school pointed at sky for blue, ground for green, shirt for red, etc. then hold up numbers. Go to colored section then number. I don't understand the poster boards with random pictures. Seems like way to much

Remember the TT colored posters a few years ago---One was picture of a crab + picture of a tree...or was that a joke I saw somewhere? :D

NastySlot
01-10-2012, 06:30 PM

just like your colors represent things so do the pictures ...such as packages, formations, plays and snap counts.

BaseballUmp
01-10-2012, 09:21 PM
Ours just had different hand signals for each number. He'd throw out 2-3 hand signs then the qb would find the number on the wristband.

Txbroadcaster
01-10-2012, 10:01 PM
When I played run plays were rip or liz plus the number of gap..such as Rip 8 sweep..or Liz 5 delay

Pass were the pass protection package plus the routes

When I coached, the OC used one word all pass plays were combo routes so Dazzle the slot knew to do an out and the Wide knew to slant of the slots hip

GrTigers6
01-11-2012, 08:40 AM
I was on the sidelines of a game in grapevine and the defensive coach had a defensive formation called juggs, And he would signal it in by grabbing his chest and shaking it up and down. Thats the best way to get 16-18 year old boys to understand LOL

RoyceTTU
01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Remember the TT colored posters a few years ago---One was picture of a crab + picture of a tree...or was that a joke I saw somewhere? :D

It was an Oklahoma State poster that was photoshoped.

http://www.thewizofodds.com/.a/6a00e553e551d18834010535e34bbc970b-500wi

CenTexSports
01-11-2012, 09:44 AM
Oh for the simplicity of the "Good ole days". Gaps left of the center 1, 3, 5, 7 & gaps right of the center 2, 4, 6, 8.
Backs QB -1
left halfback - 2
Full back - 3
Right halfback -4.

Any run play easy combo: 33 (fullback thru hole between left guard and left tackle). Add dive, iso, crossbuck or sweep to give blocking pattern. I started playing when I was six and I think this was the system we still used in high school.

MGAR
01-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Keeping it simple.

Rhino Tight 54 Cutback.

and in two minute situations(the only time we wore wrist bands) the coach would just yell out the number. We run that play.

Bullaholic
01-11-2012, 10:20 AM
Good stuff--keep it coming....Did any of you ever use audibles or call multiple plays in highschool?

MGAR
01-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Good stuff--keep it coming....Did any of you ever use audibles or call multiple plays in highschool?

We did, sorta.. You know the QB goes blue 44 blue 44 set blah blah...

When he was say RED and then the number we would run the play that the number says.

Only would do it if we got it down in practice which was about once every two years.

SHSBulldog00
01-11-2012, 11:48 AM
I was on the sidelines of a game in grapevine and the defensive coach had a defensive formation called juggs, And he would signal it in by grabbing his chest and shaking it up and down. Thats the best way to get 16-18 year old boys to understand LOL

If I was on the field I would have wanted one of the cheerleaders to call that formation. We could have ran it all night long.

http://youtu.be/Cd6A5PNvY4A

BEAST
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
Oh for the simplicity of the "Good ole days". Gaps left of the center 1, 3, 5, 7 & gaps right of the center 2, 4, 6, 8.
Backs QB -1
left halfback - 2
Full back - 3
Right halfback -4.

Any run play easy combo: 33 (fullback thru hole between left guard and left tackle). Add dive, iso, crossbuck or sweep to give blocking pattern. I started playing when I was six and I think this was the system we still used in high school.

Numbering system and running plays havent really changed much. The biggest change has come with upswing in the passing game.

BEAST

Old Tiger
01-11-2012, 01:29 PM
When we played SLC in 7on7 they had plays called

HBO
HBO2
HBO3
Showtime
Showtime2
and etc.

We had a play called the G spot...it was money everytime.

MGAR
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM
On punt return teams have names that meant get away fast.

We had one dude that would always go crazy toward the ball when the rest of the return team was yelling "Peter, Peter"..