PDA

View Full Version : RIP Ken Little

MGAR
01-10-2012, 10:03 AM
Lost his battle with cancer.

Prayers go out to his family.

Gsquared
01-10-2012, 10:42 AM
MGAR, is this Ken Little the old Emory Rains coach?

MGAR
01-10-2012, 10:45 AM
MGAR, is this Ken Little the old Emory Rains coach?

Yes.

Gsquared
01-10-2012, 10:47 AM
Oh man, I didnt even know he was sick. Prayin for his family

MGAR
01-10-2012, 10:48 AM
Oh man, I didnt even know he was sick. Prayin for his family

He's been sick a while. Unless I'm mistaking he was pretty sick when he was at Henderson in their state title year. Fought it hard.

slickarick
01-10-2012, 12:04 PM
RIP Ken Little, A Coach who coached more than his kids he would coach any one in need and anyone with promise, this man had chacter. This was a great person of those who meet him are blessed. HE never meet a stranger and was truly congenial and never left a hand wanting. He will be missed by all. God truly has a great person new in his Kingdom. I'm truly glad to have meet this man. My prayers are with his family.

zebrablue2
01-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Lost his battle with cancer.

Prayers go out to his family.

Prayers said and sent for all friends and family!!!

Fletch
01-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Ken was a fraternity brother of mine at ETSU. Salt of the earth. Here is an article:

Longtime area football coach Ken Little dies at 60

By Rick Kretzschmar rickk@news-journal.com | Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 4:08 pm

Ken Little, a 37-year football coach who capped his career with a state title died today after a lengthy battle with prostate cancer. He was 60 years old.

Little's final game was Dec. 10, 2010, as Henderson's defensive coordinator. During that game he helped the Lions defeat Chapel Hill 28-21 in the Class 3A Division I state championship game.

Little battled cancer throughout the season after his 2009 diagnosis.

Several Henderson players said Little's medical fight and retirement were an inspiration to win the state title, the first football state championship in the school's history. Henderson head coach Dickey Meeks said Little downplayed his condition and was somewhat uncomfortable with being praised for inspiration.

"With his players, all Ken wanted to talk about was fundamentals, fundamentals, fundamentals," said Meeks, with a laugh. "His medical condition wasn't really talked about."

Meeks said he had talked with Little and his family often and anticipated his passing.

"When I heard he had passed, the first emotion was sadness, but I felt relief too," Meeks said. "I knew he was in a lot of pain."

Little came to Henderson starting in 2008 after five seasons as the head coach at Emory Rains, where he compiled a 25-28 record, including playoff berths in his last three years.

Little was also the head coach at Beckville from 1999 to 2002, where his teams compiled a 31-15 record and advanced to the playoffs three times.

Little's time at Beckville included advancing to the Class A state semifinals in 2000.

Little also had coaching stints at Gladewater, Joaquin, Hughes Springs, Big Sandy and Mesquite. This coaching path helped establish a longtime friendship with Jefferson head coach Jerry Bennett.

Bennett said he met Little in 1979 when he was at Hughes Springs and Bennett was at Queen City. In the 1980s, Little was an assistant at Gladewater under legendary head coach Jack V. Murphy (helping the Bears advance to the Class 3A state semifinals in 1989) while Bennett was at Jefferson (winning the Class 3A state title in 1986).

Bennett said matching wits with Little was like going through a thousand battles.

"Ken was a great, great defensive coach," Bennett said.

Bennett said he saw another side of Little in the 2000s, when Bennett was an assistant coach at SMU and he recruited Tyler Jones when Little was the standout defensive back's coach at Rains. Bennett said he was heartbroken about Little battling cancer, and although Bennett said he dislikes attending playoff games not involving his team, he went to the 2010 Class 3A Division I state championship game.

"I found myself watching Ken a lot that day," Bennett said.

While sad to have a good friend pass away, Bennett said most of his memories about Little are good because of how Little approached life, even while battling cancer.

"Every day was a great day for Ken Little. He was always happy," Bennett said. "He never complained about getting cancer. Ken said, ‘I'll take it as it comes.'"

While Little and Meeks enjoyed the ultimate success as football coaches, Meeks said quiet talks they had together is what he'll miss more.

"Every morning between 6:45 and 7:15 we would talk. Sometimes it would be about football, but sometimes it would be about politics. He knew a lot about history and he would use that coaching his kids," Meeks said. "I think being a good person is what I'll miss the most about Ken Little."

Services for Little are pending.