PDA

View Full Version : Players from Sweeny Transferring to West Columbia

Dogs_21
01-07-2012, 02:26 AM
Today i was told that there has been talk of 5 to 6 Key players from Sweeny might be transferring to West Columbia
due to problems with the head coach. I sure hope this one does not happen.

Necked
01-07-2012, 03:42 AM
I dont buy that at all. History has shown that the migration of athletes has almost always been from Columbia to Sweeny. Dante is an good example of that trend. He would have been a perfect fit with Bess in Columbia's backfield next season...

Saggy Aggie
01-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Hmmmm

YTBulldogs
01-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Don't WC have a talented team returning? Wonder if these possible transfer in's would play as much as their use to?

Dern sure would be some nice depth to have to go against EC for the district championship.

Gontex
01-07-2012, 09:00 AM
Today i was told that there has been talk of 5 to 6 Key players from Sweeny might be transferring to West Columbia
due to problems with the head coach. I sure hope this one does not happen.

UIL may have some eligibility issues here.

Roughneck93
01-07-2012, 09:24 AM
Probably just all talk.

Saggy Aggie
01-07-2012, 09:48 AM
Don't WC have a talented team returning? Wonder if these possible transfer in's would play as much as their use to?

Dern sure would be some nice depth to have to go against EC for the district championship. Sweeny is equally talented to WC. theyre only seperated by 4 miles so many of the players on both teams actually come from the same families and whatnot. You can just about guarantee any kid who is a play maker on sweenys team would do just the same for WC and vice versa. Both schools have some very solid athletes and if this were true, it would give columbia a few more talented to guys to work with.

That said, im with roughneck93, all talk.

YTBulldogs
01-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Is there a boundary, or can the kid's attend either school they want to? I thought the school's were further apart than 4 miles.

Old Tiger
01-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Moving to WC because better chance at title...

SHSBulldog00
01-07-2012, 11:17 AM
NOT good

Dogs_21
01-07-2012, 12:31 PM
I know one of the kids got kicked out the program this week so we shall see! Coach Sawyer also had a team meeting about it
because there has been alot of talking around the school about it but let's just pray it will stay that way as talk!

Necked
01-07-2012, 03:47 PM
I thought the school's were further apart than 4 miles.
The schools are, but the attendance zones jam together in several areas. Same thing with Jones Creek/Hinkles Ferry area, we sometimes pick up some kids from Brazosport that way...

83Indian
01-07-2012, 10:38 PM
What are the UIL rules for eligibility if you attend a different school than the previous year for varsity athletics? I would assume there are conditions such as physically changing residency or something of the sort.

Emerson1
01-07-2012, 10:58 PM
What are the UIL rules for eligibility if you attend a different school than the previous year for varsity athletics? I would assume there are conditions such as physically changing residency or something of the sort.
If you move for athletic reasons you are ineligible for a year I am pretty sure, if allowed to play at all. If it's a legit move it's 15 days(I think), so they would miss the first two games.

MGAR
01-07-2012, 11:05 PM
Yea, it's 15 days from the time the student enrolls.

Chapel Hill got a move in few days ago. District 14-4As Newcomer of the Year. Seems to be legit though...Father took a job in CH school district.

83Indian
01-07-2012, 11:20 PM

Chapel Hill got a move in few days ago. District 14-4As Newcomer of the Year. Seems to be legit though...Father took a job in CH school district.

Wow......

Manso/V8
01-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Sounds like some troubles in refinery city.

Dogs_21
01-08-2012, 08:19 PM
The kid that was kicked out is supposedly checking out this week. He will be a big loss to the dogs if this is true
he is a D1 recruit.

Roughneck93
01-08-2012, 08:23 PM
The kid that was kicked out is supposedly checking out this week. He will be a big loss to the dogs if this is truehe is a D1 recruit.Interesting...

yellaseeker
01-08-2012, 09:26 PM
Dont doubt there being a single transfer for whatever reason, but i dont see 5-6 kids moving from one school to another, especially going to the same school. I'd be lying if i said i hadn't heard that a few kids were looking to move to WC but, i treated it as it was, an obvious rumor. As for someone coming to WC because of getting kicked out, I don't believe it would be a winning situation for us. We don't need anything cancerous in our program. Although, any legal moves from any talented, coachable kids into our program would be good for us for sure since we've got some holes to fill. Let's not act like this doesn't happen a lot. Many standout players that their parent or parents have careers that make it easy to relocate will do this to benefit the athlete. I still live by the old saying. "Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear"

Necked
01-08-2012, 09:30 PM
I wasn't aware Sweeny had any D1 caliber underclassmen on their roster...

yellaseeker
01-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I wasn't aware Sweeny had any D1 caliber underclassmen on their roster...

That's another rumor i heard and i treated it as such too. If that was the case, we should have had a few looking at D1. But of course, that would just be my opinion.

Dogs_21
01-08-2012, 11:39 PM
Schools such as Florida State, UTSA, Miami, U of H, Utep and some more have been to sweeny high over the off season recruting him. He is the 6'5 330 kid. Not a bad kid just haven't seen eye to eye with the coach.

Necked
01-09-2012, 01:50 AM
Ah, I thought he & Rebector were Seniors this year...

Manso/V8
01-09-2012, 02:14 AM
Schools such as Florida State, UTSA, Miami, U of H, Utep and some more have been to sweeny high over the off season recruting him. He is the 6'5 330 kid. Not a bad kid just haven't seen eye to eye with the coach.

not a recruit until he gets an offer.

Dogs_21
01-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Ah, I thought he & Rebector were Seniors this year...

No they both or Juniors.

Phil C
01-09-2012, 09:40 AM
Quick!! Get the Poth volleyball coach on the line!!

Old Tiger
01-09-2012, 10:26 AM

Chapel Hill got a move in few days ago. District 14-4As Newcomer of the Year. Seems to be legit though...Father took a job in CH school district.Nothing to see there....move along...

If you move for athletic reasons you are ineligible for a year I am pretty sure, if allowed to play at all. If it's a legit move it's 15 days(I think), so they would miss the first two games.If you move or transfer before Christmas break it doesn't matter I do believe.

baseballcoach13
01-09-2012, 10:52 AM
I heard they were moving because Sweeny doesn't have a Buc-ees. So that's not academic, thus they will be eligilble in 15 days.

Johnnypaycheck
01-09-2012, 02:16 PM
I heard they were moving because Sweeny doesn't have a Buc-ees. So that's not academic, thus they will be eligilble in 15 days.

They are moving because their momma's can buy their copenhagen and lone star beer cheaper in WC than in Swinny.

buff4ever
01-09-2012, 04:29 PM

I thought it was to pastor a church, now it is working for the school district? All talk, all talk, all talk.

yellaseeker
01-09-2012, 10:25 PM

LMFAO! Don't forget about WC having a A-sheebee too.

yellaseeker
01-09-2012, 11:04 PM

I guess not seeing eye to eye with the coach doesn't seem to be a bad quality for some across the river cause from what i've heard all year, half or more of the athletes' parents expressed their dissatisfaction in the coach early on and, that's no rumor. I've heard the comments and conversations a number of times and was not your usual complaining like you here from some when a game is lost, saying we should have ran this or that play. People are bitching about who's playing where, the style of play, kids not playing both ways that use too and moving some to different positions and the whole bottle of wax. The town just needs to let the guy do his job and by the end of a few seasons with good talent, if he doesn't have it all together then you can say he's not gonna cut it. Hell, i heard someone put a for-sale sign in the guys yard (rumor maybe?). If parents of these kids don't support the coach or program and verbally expressed that to their kids then what do you expect from the kids? I realize there are isolated cases where personality's just clash between coach and athlete but i'm just not sure this is the case with everything else that's been said. Hope i'm 100% wrong though.

pancho villa
01-10-2012, 11:33 AM
I heard every sophmore in Brazoria county is moving to West Columbia.

FB-fanatic
01-10-2012, 05:35 PM
So help me understand about transfers:

Kid moves in during summer, legitimate reason (ie, parents move and change employers). When does he get to play?

Kid moves over Christmas holiday. School is accepting transfers, and family does not move or sell house? When or if does he play?

What factors into legitimate transfer deemed not for athletic reasons? Family sells home and buys house in district, even though no change in job, etc.?

OldNavy
01-10-2012, 06:10 PM
You can get most of your answers regarding transfer eligability here starting on page 9: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/manuals/parent-information-manual.pdf

yellaseeker
01-10-2012, 07:23 PM
I heard every sophmore in Brazoria county is moving to West Columbia.
:stirpot:

Leopard4Life
01-10-2012, 08:31 PM
You can get most of your answers regarding transfer eligability here starting on page 9: http://www.uiltexas.org/files/athletics/manuals/parent-information-manual.pdf

Interresting... If I read that correctly, As long as the kid physically moves this year he should be eligible at the start of next season. I didn't read anything about having to tranfer before the break.

Another interesting thing for another thread is if a student transfers in as part of open enrollment are ineligible for one year?

Thanks, Old Navy. I was going to look up the UIL rules on eligiblity, but you beat me to it.

Dogs_21
01-12-2012, 08:26 PM
The OL kid is supposley checking out tomorrow! Dangit :mad:

toddg
01-12-2012, 09:09 PM
The OL kid is supposley checking out tomorrow! Dangit :mad:

what is this? kids can just pick up and go to any high school they want to? what if he is unhappy there...move on to the next high school?

zebrablue2
01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
what is this? kids can just pick up and go to any high school they want to? what if he is unhappy there...move on to the next high school?

:iagree: What is this world coming to???

Old Tiger
01-13-2012, 08:04 AM
what is this? kids can just pick up and go to any high school they want to? what if he is unhappy there...move on to the next high school?OMG something is happening that happens a lot! Alert the presses!

JustAFan
01-13-2012, 09:34 AM
Rules are pretty simple - if the move is legitimate, there is a 15 day waiting period before the athlete can play varsity (since sub-varsity does not matter in the eyes of UIL) no matter when they move. If the move is for athletic purposes (even if the parents sell their house and really move) the District Executive Committe can declare the student ineligible for 1 year from the first day the student starts at the new school. Anything longer has to be sent as a recommendation to the UIL State Executive Committee who is on the record as saying they will not rule a student ineligible for longer than 1 year because it can "ruin their possible atheltic career". And remember - this is all for varsity only. UIL does not even have an issue when a PAPF is not submitted for a sub-varsity player, no matter how good he or she is. Been through this in the current year.

Crow22
01-13-2012, 10:30 AM
The DEC decision will likely be an unfavorable one for the young man in question considering Sweeny will be part of the committee. He will be a senior next year and if this "move" is determined to be for athletic purposes, he will not be considered eligible in the eyes of the UIL. Making a rash decision like this could end up being a very big mistake when you consider all the likely consequences. (I.E. a recruitable athlete missing his senior year of football)

yellaseeker
01-13-2012, 10:11 PM
OMG something is happening that happens a lot! Alert the presses!

No doubt!