PDA

View Full Version : fasting

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2012, 02:17 PM
I know that many churches are getting ready to go on different versions of the Daniel fast this Sunday, mine included.

I'll be doing a 3 day water only (no food whatsoever) fast followed by the remaining 18 with no red meats, no junk food & only water (basically: fruits, veggies, turkey & chicken) fast.

Anyone else gonna fast?

btw, i know this isnt a 'diet', but doing this last year, i lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks.

My grandparents did a year long daniel fast and my grandma lost 90 lbs. pretty impressive.

Gsquared
01-06-2012, 02:21 PM
I know that many churches are getting ready to go on different versions of the Daniel fast this Sunday, mine included.

I'll be doing a 3 day water only (no food whatsoever) fast followed by the remaining 18 with no red meats, no junk food & only water (basically: fruits, veggies, turkey & chicken) fast.

Anyone else gonna fast?

btw, i know this isnt a 'diet', but doing this last year, i lost 10 lbs in 3 weeks.

My grandparents did a year long daniel fast and my grandma lost 90 lbs. pretty impressive.
Dang, id fold and cheat within the first ten mins

Bullaholic
01-06-2012, 02:27 PM
Dang, id fold and cheat within the first ten mins

You diet just like you played football..:D

Tough diet--not for the faint of heart or spirit...

Gsquared
01-06-2012, 02:35 PM
You diet just like you played football..:D

Tough diet--not for the faint of heart or spirit...:iagree:

Dr Death
01-06-2012, 02:45 PM
I have lost 25 lbs in 1 month just eating green leafy vegetables and fruits and water. I have learned that many people can't fast or won't. I would be willing to bet that 95% of Texans don't know what its like not to eat for 2 days. Just missing a few meals drives me nuts.

jockcity33
01-06-2012, 03:39 PM
I fasted last Sunday, I didn't necessarily intend to, but after my Saturday night indulgence, came a day of fasting. If I even drank water it came right back up.

Phil C
01-06-2012, 03:40 PM
I fast every day when I am asleep.

alpha42
01-06-2012, 04:20 PM

Anyone else gonna fa

We'll be doing the Daniel Fast also (fruit,vegetables, water, 100% fruit juices, no meat) starting Sunday.

GrTigers6
01-06-2012, 04:24 PM
I fast all the time. I dont drink another beer until I have the next one!:D

regaleagle
01-06-2012, 04:44 PM
It' easier to do the water, fruits, veggies deal in the hot summer months, not in January. :wave:

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2012, 04:46 PM
My church is doing that exact fast for 21 days. I just modified mine to the 3 days water and 18 days of the Daniel fast plus chicken & turkey

BwdLion73
01-06-2012, 08:50 PM
We could merge this thread with the whataburger thread to really test you willpower and faith.

Rabid Cougar
01-06-2012, 09:27 PM
WHY??? I have never heard of this.
The muslims that I worked with in Iraq and Afghanistan fast for a month during Ramadan, no anything from sun up to sunset . No water, No food, No gum, no medications. They still work too.

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2012, 10:41 PM
WHY??? I have never heard of this.
The muslims that I worked with in Iraq and Afghanistan fast for a month during Ramadan, no anything from sun up to sunset . No water, No food, No gum, no medications. They still work too.

might wanna read up on it

Maroon87
01-06-2012, 10:45 PM
I fast every day when I am asleep.

Phil I respect sleep.

Old Tiger
01-06-2012, 11:17 PM
Can you fast just drinking beer?

Gontex
01-07-2012, 09:02 AM
Many of the traditions of the Bible were for health as well as spiritual purposes. Hope all goes well for you.

Saggy Aggie
01-07-2012, 09:45 AM
Can you fast just drinking beer? why dont you try it? i'd love to see the results of you just drinking beer for 3 days

poisoned10
01-07-2012, 12:39 PM
All this talk of not eating is making me hungry.

Old Tiger
01-07-2012, 12:40 PM
why dont you try it? i'd love to see the results of you just drinking beer for 3 daysI did a couple of spring breaks down in padre..

07/08

Saggy Aggie
01-07-2012, 01:06 PM
I did a couple of spring breaks down in padre..

07/08

so the only liquid you consumed for 72 hours was beer?

I doubt it, but just in case youre not full of shii, then you've already answered your own question.

Old Tiger
01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
so the only liquid you consumed for 72 hours was beer?

I doubt it, but just in case youre not full of shii, then you've already answered your own question.Ask baseballump...I like to party.

BaseballUmp
01-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Ask baseballump...I like to party.

Indeed the truth

Rabid Cougar
01-07-2012, 07:49 PM

Okay, I did so. I have been active in the church my entire life and this is the first I have ever heard of people actually acting on this.

Saggy Aggie
01-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Don't know what to say other than ur head is in the sand or your church doesn't believe in fasting or what?

Pretty common I thought

Old Tiger
01-08-2012, 12:46 AM
It sounds so dumb to starve yourself for days so that you get into a delirious mental state andthink youbsee God.

Manso/V8
01-08-2012, 01:01 AM
My church is doing that exact fast for 21 days. I just modified mine to the 3 days water and 18 days of the Daniel fast plus chicken & turkey

what makes chicken and turkey different from red meats? Not eating beef is a sin.
sounds like the politically correct fast!

besides.......eating meat from ruminants (beef, venison, goat, sheep, etc) is healthier for you than chicken and turkey.....blech!

Rabid Cougar
01-08-2012, 10:32 AM
Don't know what to say other than ur head is in the sand or your church doesn't believe in fasting or what?

Pretty common I thought

Pretty harsh words there. Even the muslims took time to explain their customs and rituals to an infidel.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2012, 10:37 AM

Pretty common I thought

No it is not real common

Manso/V8
01-08-2012, 10:52 AM
Jesus talks about fasting and prayer, but he also says that it should be a personal thing and not something that you tell other people about.

LH Panther Mom
01-08-2012, 12:36 PM

Pretty common I thought
I've never attended a church in 52 years that proposed fasting or maybe it's the type of church I've generally attended. I think it's a lot less common than you think.

Old Tiger
01-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Its so common my church does it every year

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2012, 12:59 PM
Jesus talks about fasting and prayer, but he also says that it should be a personal thing and not something that you tell other people about. right.

Was just curious if anyone else was doing it because I know that most people who do fasts start them today.

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2012, 01:02 PM
I've never attended a church in 52 years that proposed fasting or maybe it's the type of church I've generally attended. I think it's a lot less common than you think. probably so, what type of church do you attend?

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2012, 01:03 PM
It sounds so dumb to starve yourself for days so that you get into a delirious mental state andthink youbsee God. lol thanks for the solid input there.

Manso/V8
01-08-2012, 06:23 PM
right.

Was just curious if anyone else was doing it because I know that most people who do fasts start them today.

What is so special/significant about today that most people would start a fasting?
Is it this Daniel fast deal?

I am certainly not against the concept just curious.
From what I have read, an occaisional fast is good for the body and soul......especially after a lot of the holiday excess.

Saggy Aggie
01-08-2012, 07:23 PM
What is so special/significant about today that most people would start a fasting?
Is it this Daniel fast deal?

I am certainly not against the concept just curious.
From what I have read, an occaisional fast is good for the body and soul......especially after a lot of the holiday excess. honestly not sure why today is so special, maybe the new year?

And it could just be the Daniel fast. I do know a few unrelated people who've never met each other who are all starting today. I'm starting today because that's when my church started.

regaleagle
01-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Gee, I guess I'll have to start on a regimen of some sort. Those brownies I just made were awfully good, though. Duncan Hines with Walnuts.

raider red 2000
01-18-2012, 03:29 PM
i started a juice fast. just water and Juice that i make from vegetables and fruit. I started it monday. So far so good.

I saw the film called- fat, sick, and nearly dead. So i figured I would give it a shot.

BTW- i never heard of a church fasting.

hollywood
01-18-2012, 04:30 PM
i started a juice fast. just water and Juice that i make from vegetables and fruit. I started it monday. So far so good.

I saw the film called- fat, sick, and nearly dead. So i figured I would give it a shot.

Not a bad idea... has anyone ever seen what McDonald's chicken nuggets and chicken patties look like before they are compressed into their shape, taste, and texture??? :eek:

Leopard4Life
01-18-2012, 05:33 PM

My wife and I do a 48 hour juice fast a few times a year. It isn't for church, it is just to be healthier. I can cut anywhere between 5-8 lbs in 48 hours without dehydration. I started a juice fast on Monday and had my first semi-full meal today at lunch. I lost 7.5 lbs since Monday morning.

ExScoop
01-18-2012, 06:38 PM
We fast on Friday's during Lent along on Ash Wednesdayt-We eat a lot of fish, tuna fish sandwiches and grilled cheese sanwiches and shrimp

Eagle 1
01-18-2012, 07:43 PM
This is weird, but I started cutting back on Monday. I decided to eat what I want, just cut down on the portions and NO seconds.
In just three days my wife says she can tell a diffence, but I can't.
I'm not calling this a diet, just a life style change.
BTW, Saggy, I have heard and read a lot about fasting over the years. It was pretty common in the Bible, but not so much now days.

WildTexan972
01-18-2012, 08:44 PM
not eating has NOTHING to do with belief that Jesus died on a cross for your sins....it is more of that Jewish religion imitation BS that plays NO part in any path to heaven......same with laundry lint or forehead ash or having a pope or confessing sin to a child molester in a small room thru a wall....plays no part....but sure makes a religion rich to buy off families that report those sin listeners for diddlin with the candle boys....

Txbroadcaster
01-18-2012, 08:54 PM
not eating has NOTHING to do with belief that Jesus died on a cross for your sins....it is more of that Jewish religion imitation BS that plays NO part in any path to heaven......same with laundry lint or forehead ash or having a pope or confessing sin to a child molester in a small room thru a wall....plays no part....but sure makes a religion rich to buy off families that report those sin listeners for diddlin with the candle boys....

wow just really wow

Saggy Aggie
01-18-2012, 09:21 PM
not eating has NOTHING to do with belief that Jesus died on a cross for your sins....it is more of that Jewish religion imitation BS that plays NO part in any path to heaven......same with laundry lint or forehead ash or having a pope or confessing sin to a child molester in a small room thru a wall....plays no part....but sure makes a religion rich to buy off families that report those sin listeners for diddlin with the candle boys.... wow

thats the only response i have.

As far as fasting goes, it is very common in the bible. maybe not so much nowadays, but i see nothing wrong with it.

Leopard4Life
01-19-2012, 02:02 AM

How does fasting segway into child molestation? This thread just took a disturbing turn... I'm with the WOW , just WOW comments.