PDA

View Full Version : Rawhide TV Series are on the Encore Western Channel starting 1-3-12 at 4 P.M.

Phil C
01-05-2012, 12:12 PM
Below is the background information on it. It is a great tv western series. It will be on that channel Monday through Fridays at 4 P.M. and Saturdays at 10:00 P.M. The times are most likely inconvenient so set those recorders. This was one of the most successful tv western series and lasted one hour and starred Eric Fleming as trail boss Gil Favor and a young Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Gates. I was told these episodes were consistently good and look forward to seeing them. Episodes 1-3 will have been shown today but the information can give you the background and these episodes will be shown on Saturdays. For example this Saturday, Jan. 7, 2012 the first episode will be repeated at 10 P.M. and the second on the 14th and the third on the 21st, etc so if you missed any you can catch them. The only thing that is a shame is that none are in color since at the time few American's had color tv. My late grandmother consistently watched these episodes but I didn't watch them too much because it was on Friday nights and being one of the younger ones then I had other things to do that night but thank goodness for the opportunity now. As the summary below shows the time is in the later 1860s after the Civil War and the cowboys are having adventures on the trail drive from San Antonio to Missouri. Enjoy! I have watched the first two so far and they are terrific. Especially episode 2 and don't miss it on the 14th when it is repeated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rawhide_(TV_series)

Phil C
01-05-2012, 03:52 PM
This is Episode 2. Warning if you have never seen this series and watch this you will be hooked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lobktwjjiF8

SHSBulldog00
01-05-2012, 11:29 PM
My dad and I have watched it every day since it came back on.

Phil C
01-30-2012, 09:07 PM
My dad and I have watched it every day since it came back on.

Man this series is great isn't it SHS. TV had a lot of westerns on tv from the 50s to 60s but a few stand out for several reasons shown by this series. It had great lead and supporting stars as well as good guest stars. The directing and script writing were excellent. And this was on a consistent basis.

regaleagle
01-31-2012, 06:28 PM
Keep them doggies rollin', Rawhide! Used to watch it religiously. Great series. This series, Gunsmoke, and Bonanza is what I grew up watchng. Good solid moralistic lessons for young viewers, and action-packed entertainment to boot. Those were really good days.

ExScoop
02-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Wish DirecTV would add Western Channel-That's the only thing I miss about them.
Does Dish Network have ScyFy and Chiller Channels like DirecTV does?
I know that RFD is High Def on Dish and not on DirecTV

regaleagle
02-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Yes, Dish does have SCIFI Channel. I watch it occasionally. Don't think it has CHILLER though. Could be wrong on this.

Phil C
06-22-2012, 02:00 PM
These episodes have been great but I saw an outstanding one the other day called Piney. Piney is played by former oscar winner Ed Begley who is a big ranch owner but circumstances are now forcing him to go bankrupt and he blames the bank for his problems. Since the town is located on top of an old mining camp and he knows the tunnels he decides to use them to dig to the bank and rob it. He rents a hotel room that he stays at pretending to play poker at night but in reality he is digging to the bank with the help of 4 men. The four helpers are played by famous character actors and one (Lee Van Cleef) was to become a big western store. The four are Jack Rose played by J.D. Cannon, Bert played by Tom Reese, Deck played by Lee Van Cleef and Jim played by Elisha Cook, Jr.
What is unusual is that the guest stars above are really the main characters and the Rawhide regulars are supporting players and only appear in 1/3 of the episode and that is mostly in the last 11 minutes.
The robbers plan to rob the bank and use the Rawhide crew by pretending to be dovers in order to get away with the money. Most of the episode is the suspense of digging to the bank in order to perform the robbery.
An unusual episode indeed which is just one of the many reasons that this was a fantastic series that should have last a few years longer.