PDA

View Full Version : Where to relocate

HawkEye
01-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Thinking about picking the family up and moving to a smaller town. The area I am looking at is below I-10. Gonzales/Cuero/Shiner/Halletsville/Yoakum/Luling/etc. This would allow us to get into both Austin/San Antonio if we had to to shop.

What I'd like a honest opinion on where you all would re-settle. I am doing this so my kids can grow up in a small town. What I am looking for is opinions on school districts: both academically and athletically. Quality of life in this area. Youth sports possibilties: little league, little dribblers, etc. I don't want to start the bashing of any communities. I really want to know what folks think. This is a huge decision that we are making as a family and I want the most info possible. Thanks in advance.

Gsquared
01-05-2012, 10:59 AM
Thinking about picking the family up and moving to a smaller town. The area I am looking at is below I-10. Gonzales/Cuero/Shiner/Halletsville/Yoakum/Luling/etc. This would allow us to get into both Austin/San Antonio if we had to to shop.

What I'd like a honest opinion on where you all would re-settle. I am doing this so my kids can grow up in a small town. What I am looking for is opinions on school districts: both academically and athletically. Quality of life in this area. Youth sports possibilties: little league, little dribblers, etc. I don't want to start the bashing of any communities. I really want to know what folks think. This is a huge decision that we are making as a family and I want the most info possible. Thanks in advance.
Halletsville, great meat market.

Old Tiger
01-05-2012, 11:01 AM

What I'd like a honest opinion on where you all would re-settle. I am doing this so my kids can grow up in a small town. What I am looking for is opinions on school districts: both academically and athletically. Quality of life in this area. Youth sports possibilties: little league, little dribblers, etc. I don't want to start the bashing of any communities. I really want to know what folks think. This is a huge decision that we are making as a family and I want the most info possible. Thanks in advance.If you want them at a 4a school with small town atmosphere I'd suggest Bastrop. They have pretty much everything you would need in that town and a population of just over 7,000. It would have plenty of places for them to get jobs in HS. Plus you are close to the New Braunsfels River scene as well as Lockhart for BBQ. Austin isn't far away either.

YTBulldogs
01-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Can't go wrong in any of those towns you mentioned. Great places to raise a family for sure. All getting a boost in the economy from oil business.

HawkEye
01-05-2012, 11:26 AM
If you want them at a 4a school with small town atmosphere I'd suggest Bastrop. They have pretty much everything you would need in that town and a population of just over 7,000. It would have plenty of places for them to get jobs in HS. Plus you are close to the New Braunsfels River scene as well as Lockhart for BBQ. Austin isn't far away either.

Bastrop is too big. Looking for the best 1A-3A school/community for my kids. Thanks for the reply, though.

buff4ever
01-05-2012, 11:31 AM
If you want them at a 4a school with small town atmosphere I'd suggest Bastrop. They have pretty much everything you would need in that town and a population of just over 7,000. It would have plenty of places for them to get jobs in HS. Plus you are close to the New Braunsfels River scene as well as Lockhart for BBQ. Austin isn't far away either.

That is a total outsiders view of Bastrop. Have you ever been in that down, close enough to experience it?

Old Tiger
01-05-2012, 11:33 AM
Bastrop is too big. Looking for the best 1A-3A school/community for my kids. Thanks for the reply, though.Shiner then. They have gotten a good athletic program going and its small town and real quiet there.

The main benefit is you are close to the Spoetzl Brewery.

Nice jersey's for the HS as well
http://media.victoriaadvocate.com/img/croppedphotos/2010/11/08/S_shiner_1109_c_117780_t600.jpg?4326734cdb8e39baa3 579048ef63ad7b451e7676

Helmet dons the beer logo
http://www.txhshelmetproject.com/TexasHighSchools/S/Shiner.png

Bullaholic
01-05-2012, 11:34 AM
I think Wimberley would be a good choice...Don't have any first-hand info, but all I have read has been good---and we know they have a great football team....

Old Tiger
That is a total outsiders view of Bastrop. Have you ever been in that down, close enough to experience it?I've been through it dozens and dozens of times. Never experienced it as a student though. Care to give more info on what you're talking about?

Old Tiger
I think Wimberley would be a good choice...Don't have any first-hand info, but all I have read has been good---and we know they have a great football team....Wimberely, Boerne, and Blanco are all great choices for towns.

buff4ever
01-05-2012, 11:36 AM
I've been through it dozens and dozens of times. Never experienced it as a student though. Care to give more info on what you're talking about?

Only to say that if you have only been THROUGH a town, that isn't good enough info to recommend it to someone. I wouldn't make your recommendation to anyone, but that is me. I have had a few dealings there, enough for me to know you had only been THROUGH the community.

ogg
01-05-2012, 11:39 AM

My wife, children and I spent three months in 06 looking at (small) towns and school districts to relocate. We picked Wimberley and never regretted it. Outstanding schools, very nice town in many, many ways. Super area for football, half way between San Antonio and Austin, there’s plenty of college and high school game to see within an hour. Wimberley football games are fun.

44INAROW
01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
I am partial to Cuero.. :cheerl: We'd love to have you. Ground was just broke for a new subdivision. aka The Quarry...........

raider red 2000
01-05-2012, 11:40 AM
When I first started coaching, my fiance (now my wife) who graduated from Cuero said, "I will never live in Luling, that place stinks!!' I think its a natural gas smell or sulfer or something.

I dont think you would go wrong with any of those places. If you are serious though about moving, look at the school websites and check out the AEIS reports. This will let you know lots of info about the school.

raider red 2000
01-05-2012, 11:42 AM
My wife, children and I spent three months in 06 looking at (small) towns and school districts to relocate. We picked Wimberley and never regretted it. Outstanding schools, very nice town in many, many ways. Super area for football, half way between San Antonio and Austin, there’s plenty of college and high school game to see within an hour. Wimberley home football games are fun.

how is the cost of living there?

I think that would be a great place to put down roots.

Old Tiger
01-05-2012, 11:43 AM
Only to say that if you have only been THROUGH a town, that isn't good enough info to recommend it to someone. I wouldn't make your recommendation to anyone, but that is me. I have had a few dealings there, enough for me to know you had only been THROUGH the community.Does your dealings have to do with the Ballroom? lol

Old Tiger
01-05-2012, 11:45 AM
how is the cost of living there?

I think that would be a great place to put down roots.Demographics from Wiki

As of the census[2] of 2000, there were 3,797 people, 1,576 households, and 1,076 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 235.3 people per square mile (90.8/km2). There were 1,928 housing units at an average density of 119.5 per square mile (46.1/km2). The racial makeup of the CDP was 94.52% White, 0.18% African American, 0.79% Native American, 0.13% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 2.98% from other races, and 1.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 6.93% of the population.

There were 1,576 households out of which 27.2% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.6% were married couples living together, 9.1% had a female householder with no husband present, and 31.7% were non-families. 26.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.34 and the average family size was 2.79.

In the CDP the population was spread out with 21.5% under the age of 18, 4.7% from 18 to 24, 22.5% from 25 to 44, 28.9% from 45 to 64, and 22.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 46 years. For every 100 females there were 89.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.0 males.

The median income for a household in the CDP was $46,042, and the median income for a family was $56,910. Males had a median income of $41,019 versus $26,729 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $25,033. About 3.0% of families and 3.9% of the population were below the poverty line, including 3.2% of those under age 18 and 5.0% of those age 65 or over.

YTBulldogs
01-05-2012, 11:46 AM
I know H'V, Yoakum, Cuero and Gonzales has a youth football program. Provide peewee, junior and senior levels for the kid's. They participate in the Crossroads Youth Football League (CYFL). Teams from Victoria, Port Lavaca, Yorktown, Refugio also play in the CYFL. Shiner youth play usually in Yoakum or H'V.

Yoakum has an Upward Basketball Program for the youth as well as little league baseball of course. I believe Cuero, Gonzales and H'V also has youth basketball programs. All the towns you mentioned except Shiner has a local 9 hole golf course. G'Z, Cuero and H'V has the "biggy"---a WalMart. H'V is also the only town with a movie theater. While, Shiner is the only town with it's own beer brewery. :)

All provide a safe, small town living experience and close enough to the malls, airports of Hou, Aus, SA and Victoria.

Milk That Cow
01-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Check out Giddings...

Cam
01-05-2012, 11:53 AM
You're thinkin' right as far as movin' to a small town. We came to Burnet jobless (cold turkey) about 7 years ago from the Dallas area..family members thought we were crazy!..Other than gettin' starred at by some of the locals, we settled in nicely. My 3 kids love it here. I'll never forget my 16 year old boy sayin', "Dad, I had good friends in Mesquite, but I LOVE my friends in Burnet!" It has been the best move we could've ever made for them. Worst part is I gotta drive to Austin every day (bout 60 miles one way) but I'm used to it. Plus, I'm just not that important!!..Our company owner (who is retired & moved to Italy) recently offered me his home in Lake Travis so I could be closer to work. Man, my 12-year old almost shot me when I suggested it!!...I never would've moved there anyway....just testing him.....He wants to stay in Burnet till he graduates. Anyway, small town life.....it's been pretty cool.....well, up until I met Greendawg!!!.....:stirpot:

pancho villa
01-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Best thing my wife and I did was move to a small town, West Columbia for my two kids education and athletics. Plus the cost of homes here is way lower than the Texas average.

GrTigers6
01-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Best thing my wife and I did was move to a small town, West Columbia for my two kids education and athletics. Plus the cost of homes here is way lower than the Texas average.Thats funny because we moved from West Columbia to Glen Rose in 2001, because It was getting to crowded. They were a small 4a at the time. Its makes you think about how different people see the same things in different ways.:thinking:

95mustang
01-05-2012, 12:47 PM
Best thing my wife and I did was move to a small town, West Columbia for my two kids education and athletics. Plus the cost of homes here is way lower than the Texas average.

You didn't just decide one day you were moving and tell your wife to pack up ya'll were moving?

GrTigers6
01-05-2012, 12:49 PM
You didn't just decide one day you were moving and tell your wife to pack up ya'll were moving?We did, of course we had family( My wifes grandmother) and both parents in the brownwood area, so we started looking for places I could transfer to. There was an opening in Granbury so we took it and have been here ever since.

hookandladder
01-05-2012, 01:51 PM

I grew up just North of Shiner in a little town called Cistern, about 50 to 60 people in pop. I went to school in Flatonia which is 1A school, we battled Shiner every year in sports and never won. Shiner would be a great place for 1A school, the bigger school 3A I would have to go with Cuero however Hallettsville and Yoakum would be solid moves also. One thing for sure if athletics are high priority, Shiner would be my number 1 choice. Weather you have girls or boys , you will compete for a State Championship every year in one sport or another. The area you are talking about is great however Luling not so much and Bastrop no way. Good Luck with your decision , I personally feel you are making a great decision for your family to be in a small town. The excitement that is generated in small towns during playoffs are unbelievable.

greendawg84
01-05-2012, 02:06 PM
You're thinkin' right as far as movin' to a small town. We came to Burnet jobless (cold turkey) about 7 years ago from the Dallas area..family members thought we were crazy!..Other than gettin' starred at by some of the locals, we settled in nicely. My 3 kids love it here. I'll never forget my 16 year old boy sayin', "Dad, I had good friends in Mesquite, but I LOVE my friends in Burnet!" It has been the best move we could've ever made for them. Worst part is I gotta drive to Austin every day (bout 60 miles one way) but I'm used to it. Plus, I'm just not that important!!..Our company owner (who is retired & moved to Italy) recently offered me his home in Lake Travis so I could be closer to work. Man, my 12-year old almost shot me when I suggested it!!...I never would've moved there anyway....just testing him.....He wants to stay in Burnet till he graduates. Anyway, small town life.....it's been pretty cool.....well, up until I met Greendawg!!!.....:stirpot:

Well at least you were smart enough to get out of that Hell Hole that you were living in! Dude you can almost fish out of your back door and hunt out your front door , it dont get no better than that!
Folks , dont feel sorry for his sorry butt , he lives within 5 miles of 3 different lakes.......:)

ApachePride
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
GVTC has just laid out the plans to run 7 million dollars worth of fiber-optics through Gonzales. Super highspeed Internet is on it's way. A new HEB is opening soon with rumors of a Super Walmart to follow.. Great history, great people, and lovely historical homes.... Come to Gonzales! You'll love it! All the towns you mentioned are great towns, but Gonzales is accessible to all of them!

lbjacj
01-05-2012, 09:17 PM
My wife, children and I spent three months in 06 looking at (small) towns and school districts to relocate. We picked Wimberley and never regretted it. Outstanding schools, very nice town in many, many ways. Super area for football, half way between San Antonio and Austin, there’s plenty of college and high school game to see within an hour. Wimberley football games are fun.

Ditto! Small town atmosphere with city life minutes away! Great place to come to. Just ask the Lamberts and many others!

regaleagle
01-05-2012, 10:59 PM
Heck, now that Dodge will be setting up his program at Marble Falls, that would be a great place, if you don't mind the rocks. It's definitely small town Texas, but big enough for the kids to get involved with lots of activities. You've got the lake, good bustling economy, one way to Austin, the other to SA. I'd check it out if I were in your shoes. It's really a nice place. And lots of Texas flavor.

SHSBulldog00
01-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Sweeny has a poulation between 3,000-5,000 including the surrounding area. We are a 3A school district 590 students in Brazoria County south of I-10. We are less than an hour south of Houston and only 30 minute's away from the beach. Our community is tucked away from the worries of the big city, but close enough to entertainment and shopping. As far as athletic's, we are always competitive; Football (last two years 3rd round), Baseball team (last year Regional Quartefinalist), Softball (State Semi Finalist), boys and girls basketball are often in the playoffs.

Youth sports Sweeny little league baseball (one of the best in the state, we compete yearly with Lamar LL in Richmond) softball plays ASA and is always strong, football plays for Super Bowl nearly every year for multiple age groups, we also have Little Dribbler's basketball.

Our 11 year old select baseball team (Sweeny Vipers) is the number 1 team in the nation according to the Nations Baseball Tournament Association. We are this years State Champions. The Sweeny Vipers organization began only 5 years ago and now consist of teams of all ages. Two years ago we were invited to play in the World Series in Tampa, Florida.

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Sweeny has a poulation between 3,000-5,000 including the surrounding area. We are a 3A school district 590 students in Brazoria County south of I-10. We are less than an hour south of Houston and only 30 minute's away from the beach. As far as athletic's, we are always competitive; Football (last two years 3rd round), Baseball team (last year Regional Quartefinalist), Softball (State Semi Finalist), boys and girls basketball are often in the playoffs.

Youth sports Sweeny little league baseball (one of the best in the state, we compete yearly with Lamar LL in Richmond) softball plays ASA and is always strong, football plays for Super Bowl nearly every year for multiple age groups, we also have Little Dribbler's basketball.

Our 11 year old select baseball team (Sweeny Vipers) is the number 1 team in the nation according to the Nations Baseball Tournament Association. We are this years State Champions. The Sweeny Vipers organization began only 5 years ago and now consist of teams of all ages. Two years ago we were invited to play in the World Series in Tampa, Florida. not to mention the district has quite a bit of money and good academics and a great rivalry in all sports with west Columbia

SHSBulldog00
01-05-2012, 11:25 PM
not to mention the district has quite a bit of money and good academics and a great rivalry in all sports with west Columbia

:iagree:

hooverhog
01-06-2012, 02:53 AM
not to mention the district has quite a bit of money and good academics and a great rivalry in all sports with west Columbia

Plus plenty of mosquitoes and a few tropical storms. Stay north of Highway 59.....you won't regret it.

Manso/V8
01-06-2012, 03:20 AM
Bellville is a great place to raise a family, however the the employment opportunities are more tied to Houston.........which is picking up quite a bit.
LaGrange and Schulenburg have always struck me as nice places to live.

raider red 2000
01-06-2012, 11:19 AM
isnt burr south of 59???

you are right about those brazoria county mosquitoes......they are big as birds.

GrTigers6
01-06-2012, 11:41 AM
isnt burr south of 59???

you are right about those brazoria county mosquitoes......they are big as birds.Mosquitos and humidity were two of the other reasons for moving from West Columbia

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2012, 12:34 PM
I love it down here :) block house is well above the flood level so no worries as far as storms go. I love being this close to the beach so I can go fishing.

GrTigers6
01-06-2012, 01:14 PM
I love it down here :) block house is well above the flood level so no worries as far as storms go. I love being this close to the beach so I can go fishing.Thats what I liked the most about living there

44INAROW
01-06-2012, 02:32 PM
Plus plenty of mosquitoes and a few tropical storms. Stay north of Highway 59.....you won't regret it.
can't argue about the mosquitoes but I can say this - as an insurance agent, I've had more claim activity NORTH and EAST of 59 from tropical storms than along the coast.. kinda weird, but that's true.. seems like the storms go straight up 59 and 45 and do lots of damage.. especially in Spring, Woodlands, Humble areas..

hooverhog
01-06-2012, 08:02 PM
isnt burr south of 59???

you are right about those brazoria county mosquitoes......they are big as birds.

Yea, Burr is south of 59 and close to work. Gotta wait till I retire from the plant and then I'll be headin northwest of 59. Hopefully somewhere around the Gonzales area. Grew up in Refugio but not much down there anymore except the Bobcats on Friday nights. I take that back, there is good hunting and fishing down there too. :)

1st and goal
01-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Yea, Burr is south of 59 and close to work. Gotta wait till I retire from the plant and then I'll be headin northwest of 59. Hopefully somewhere around the Gonzales area. Grew up in Refugio but not much down there anymore except the Bobcats on Friday nights. I take that back, there is good hunting and fishing down there too. :)

If you are totally retired and don't need a job, I'd check out Lagrange. For cheaper land and housing, Giddings. Giddings has one of top 10 school districts rated in the state for overall student experience. Flatonia, Shiner, Schulenburg are worth mentioning. Be ready for small town talk and people although I have been graciously accepted here in Giddings after moving in about 8 years ago.

SHSBulldog00
01-06-2012, 10:06 PM
isnt burr south of 59???

Speaking of Mosquitoes those from the rice patties in and around El Campo are horrible. We sprayed an entire can on my family before a game in EC and by half the spray had warn off.

buckeyebob
01-09-2012, 06:12 AM
Ever thought about pine trees & green grass? Do you have athletes?

We offer a relocation package...great football, good jobs, academic help.

http://i1136.photobucket.com/albums/n492/rlind1112/gilmerresizedang-1.jpg

A complete package.

MGAR
01-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Ever thought about pine trees & green grass? Do you have athletes?

We offer a relocation package...great football, good jobs, academic help.

A complete package.

lol That's the truth.

yellaseeker
01-09-2012, 11:59 PM
If it weren't for my job and a lot of family here, I'd get the hell away from the coast and leave these mosquitos and humidity for good. Nothing like being hot and sweaty and having to bathe in deep weeds "off" to keep them bitin sunzabeeches off ya............. Stay west of the coast a hundred miles or so. Wimberley sounds good to me. Gonna apologize to our town recruiters for this but, that's my take on it.

Necked
01-10-2012, 01:00 AM
If it weren't for my job and a lot of family here, I'd get the hell away from the coast and leave these mosquitos and humidity for good. Nothing like being hot and sweaty and having to bathe in deep weeds "off" to keep them bitin sunzabeeches off ya............. Stay west of the coast a hundred miles or so. Wimberley sounds good to me. Gonna apologize to our town recruiters for this but, that's my take on it.

Heyyyy..if its good enough for Stephen F Austin, its dern sure good enough for me!

yellaseeker
01-10-2012, 01:15 AM
Heyyyy..if its good enough for Stephen F Austin, its dern sure good enough for me!

Hell, that may be the reason he got sick and died. He only lived to the ripe old age of 43.

buckeyebob
01-11-2012, 05:50 AM

Ever try Avon Skin So Soft...smell kinda funny but absolutley no skeeters.

yellaseeker
01-11-2012, 08:01 PM
Ever try Avon Skin So Soft...smell kinda funny but absolutley no skeeters.

Yep, and these saltgrass mosquitos love it. Must have viagra in it cause it seems to make them multiply.

buckeyebob
01-12-2012, 06:07 AM
Yep, and these saltgrass mosquitos love it. Must have viagra in it cause it seems to make them multiply.

Sounds like you got some mutant stuff...no skeeter can stand up to Skin So Soft.

mike_angler
01-15-2012, 12:42 AM
I was born in Yoakum, and I still have a lot of family in most of the towns that you are looking at moving to. My family and I were also looking to move back to that area over the summer from East Texas. After reviewing all of the school ratings within a large radius around Houston and Austin we found ourselves leaning towards Cuero, that is until we spent a weekend in Wimberley. After just one brief visit and talking to people who lived here, we knew this is where we would end up. We have only been in the area since this summer, but we have enjoyed it tremendously and know we made the right choice for us. My daughter loves the school and was shocked at how well all of the kids get along compared to what she has found in the past at other schools.

Best of luck to you and your family in making such an important decision.

big daddy russ
01-15-2012, 01:43 AM
I grew up just North of Shiner in a little town called Cistern, about 50 to 60 people in pop....
My best friend's late grandparents (last names were Price) had a little ranch in Cistern. Just down the road from the V&V place, right next to the property of one of the owners of V&V. I have some great memories going up there and helping out. Beautiful country.

I'll trade you. Katy's waaaaaaaay too far from the coast.

I'll never live this far from saltwater again in my life. I'll stick it out here while I have to. But whether it's Surfside, Port A, Port Isabel, Florida, Hawaii, Grand Turk, or Costa Rica, I'll be back on the ocean soon.

1st and goal
01-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Another good area could be Mission Valley, I believe they have their own schools thru 8th grade and then attend Cuero's high school.