PDA

View Full Version : atheletes going both ways: of/df

FBmania
09-18-2002, 02:35 PM
Just like to know what everyones opinion is on playing your best atheletes both ways?
I know sometimes due to injuries you have no choice but, I think the only times you can really do it ( and really be effective )is with a player whose 75% is as good or better than most. In other words a real stud horse.

mojjo_1
09-18-2002, 05:48 PM
I think early in the season it's a good idea. It gives you more options later in the season when you have injuries. At least you have someone with experience in the game. I don't think you need to play the whole game both ways. If your in the playoffs and you loose a player it could really help. I don't think I would put my qb on defense though. But Iv'e seen alot of rb playing db.

VWG
09-18-2002, 06:47 PM
If the kid is good enough to go both ways then play him. If you look at Class 3A athletes playing college ball today, I would be willing to bet that over 75% of them went both ways. 4A and 5A have deeper talent pools to draw from, but in 3A and below you have to field your best kids at each position and if that means one kid playing two postitions then so be it.

TarponR13K
09-18-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by mojjo_1:
I think early in the season it's a good idea. It gives you more options later in the season when you have injuries. At least you have someone with experience in the game. I don't think you need to play the whole game both ways. If your in the playoffs and you loose a player it could really help. I don't think I would put my qb on defense though. But Iv'e seen alot of rb playing db.

our schools and teams are so small that i think players have to play both off. and def. i think my clarinet section in band is larger than the football team.

Super_Fan
09-18-2002, 06:52 PM
To play both ways you half to have good endurance and heart. It is very tiring going both ways. It would be way tiring if someone played on every special teams, offence, and defence.

mojjo_1
09-18-2002, 07:04 PM
I think you have to play some players both ways.You never know where you might have to play somebody. Iv'e seen players play both ways at every level. If your in a big game where do you want your best player or players.

Owen B
09-18-2002, 07:09 PM
Commerce always plays several guys both ways. There's not much choice when you have a small pool of athletes.

FBmania
09-18-2002, 09:51 PM
I guess you all are probably right! I wonder how a scout would weigh the difference between seeing a player willing to go of/df and doing a good job vs going 1-way and maybe dominating that side of the ball?

Matthew328
09-18-2002, 10:54 PM
Everman has gotta be one of the few 3A schools in the state to have the luxury of not having to play guys both ways...last year they had 1 2 way starter and that was Blaine Harrell who was a reciever who only played every 2 or 3 plays on offense..this year there are 2 2 way starters and that is LB/OT Nick Clark but he comes out on most passing situtations and WR/FS Johnathan Harrell who is only on offense every third play..I think it is truly a luxury which what may explain why Everman is such a good second half team

mojjo_1
09-18-2002, 11:45 PM
Last year Jasper had no two way starters and nobody played both ways. This year Joree starts both ways but doesn't play alot of defense. Several players get playing time both ways and alot of subs are getting experience.

PPHSfan
09-19-2002, 12:06 AM
When you have a small 3A team with ten coaches and thirty players..unless your gonna suit up a coach...you gotta play some ironman.

dunn78
09-19-2002, 01:32 AM
Jordan Shipley is a stud! He never came off the field last year except for like one play on offense every series. This year he is getting a lot more breaks, which is good when you have to give it all every play.