PDA

View Full Version : Wolves in the Burnet hill country??

Cam
01-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Ok, I didn't get much sleep last night....cause I was skeered!.....after watchin' the ending of the OSU/Stanford game, (poor kicker from Stanford by the way..)....anyway, I'm tryin' to fall asleep when one of the Christmas tree ornaments decides to fall and break...yeah, that tree is still up. My kids just don't want to put things up....neither do I....
So, I lay there in bed with a good case of insomnia goin'...., around 3 a.m. I was jumpin' out of bed cause something right outside my window was howlin' like a howlin' I'd never heard before....this thing sounded like something right out of one of them werewolf movies!
Now I know we've got coyotes out there and I know all the funny sounds they make...this wasn't no coyote! Even my two labs were in their igloo homes and wouldn't come out! Something scared the hell out ot em'...and me!.....Bout two years ago my wife swears she saw a large grayish/blackish wolf-like animal runnin' across the field in broad daylight in front of our home..I know in the last fews years the rabbits and jackrabbits have virtually disappeared...one thing is for sure, I almost crapped my underwear.....

So, my question is, do wolves exist in these parts?.....comfort me Greendawg!...say something........

pancho villa
01-03-2012, 11:41 AM
Ok, I didn't get much sleep last night....cause I was skeered!.....after watchin' the ending of the OSU/Stanford game, (poor kicker from Stanford by the way..)....anyway, I'm tryin' to fall asleep when one of the Christmas tree ornaments decides to fall and break...yeah, that tree is still up. My kids just don't want to put things up....neither do I....
So, I lay there in bed with a good case of insomnia goin'...., around 3 a.m. I was jumpin' out of bed cause something right outside my window was howlin' like a howlin' I'd never heard before....this thing sounded like something right out of one of them werewolf movies!
Now I know we've got coyotes out there and I know all the funny sounds they make...this wasn't no coyote! Even my two labs were in their igloo homes and wouldn't come out! Something scared the hell out ot em'...and me!.....Bout two years ago my wife swears she saw a large grayish/blackish wolf-like animal runnin' across the field in broad daylight in front of our home..I know in the last fews years the rabbits and jackrabbits have virtually disappeared...one thing is for sure, I almost crapped my underwear.....

So, my question is, do wolves exist in these parts?.....comfort me Greendawg!...say something........

Chupacabra!!!

greendawg84
01-03-2012, 12:38 PM
Dude ,

I tole you to quit smoking that stuff......

Anything is possible in that part of the woods you live in , bout the only water around for 100 miles is right behind your house.

Maybe I better talk to your boy , he might still be laughing his arse off at you !:wave:

Bullaholic
01-03-2012, 12:57 PM
Yep, I agree with greendawg, Cam---smoking that peyote will get you a visit from your "spirit animal" every time...:D

Cam
01-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Dude ,

I tole you to quit smoking that stuff......

Anything is possible in that part of the woods you live in , bout the only water around for 100 miles is right behind your house.

Maybe I better talk to your boy , he might still be laughing his arse off at you !:wave:

That boy was sleepin' like a rock!...nothin' wakes him!....I know cause I went and checked on him......I might have to agree with Pancho V...it was the chupacabra!....I just didn't want to be the first one to say it.......

Cam
01-03-2012, 01:23 PM
Yep, I agree with greendawg, Cam---smoking that peyote will get you a visit from your "spirit animal" every time...:D

maybe you're right Bull.....I better stop pullin' out them sibling bluebonnets that are already comin' out and smokin' em......

1st and goal
01-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Wach a le pa la mota!

buff4ever
01-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Cam, you just can't get anyone to bite can you? W/o pics you are high or drunk. Touch crowd.

Cam
01-03-2012, 02:03 PM
Cam, you just can't get anyone to bite can you? W/o pics you are high or drunk. Touch crowd.

No doubt!....a tough crowd indeed....I'm just gonna have to call that Matt Moneymaker dude from the "Finding Bigfoot" series....that dude will believe anything!!.....If he hears a bear fart in the woods, it was most definitely a squatch in his mind!!......

waterboy
01-03-2012, 04:03 PM
No doubt!....a tough crowd indeed....I'm just gonna have to call that Matt Moneymaker dude from the "Finding Bigfoot" series....that dude will believe anything!!.....If he hears a bear fart in the woods, it was most definitely a squatch in his mind!!......
Hey, don't talk about my buddy, Matt Moneymaker, like that! I KNOW there's a squatch in them woods! My 11-year-old daughter and I watch that show everytime it comes on. My wife even snuck out the backdoor one time and scared the bejeebers out of her with a squatch call while she was in her bedroom.:wave: I didn't hear her do it, but my daughter came in the living room and jumped in my lap. She's always doing that so I didn't really know what my wife had done until she came in the house laughing. I swear I'm gonna scare the bejeebers out of the wife one of these days!:stirpot:

Rabid Cougar
01-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Sorry, No wolves in the wilds of the Hill Country or the rest of Texas for that matter..... Last Gray Wolf in Texas was trapped in Brewster County in 1970. Last Red Wolf in East Texas was found in the early 1960's. There are some very large hybrid coyotes running around though.

Probably a chupricabra.

GrTigers6
01-03-2012, 04:47 PM
Sorry, No wolves in the wilds of the Hill Country or the rest of Texas for that matter..... Last Gray Wolf in Texas was trapped in Brewster County in 1970. Last Red Wolf in East Texas was found in the early 1960's. There are some very large hybrid coyotes running around though.

Probably a chupricabra.Or the neighbors Husky!:D

waterboy
01-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Where did you get that info, Rabid Cougar? I think they're mistaken. I know I've seen some wolves in East Texas several times. Believe me, I can tell the difference between a wolf and a coyote. The difference is strikingly obvious. The wolves around here are huge, usually in the 60 to 100 lb range (at least that's what it looked like to me), and the coyotes are usually in the 25 to 50 lb range. There are many more coyotes around here than wolves, but there is a substantial population of wolves still around. Wolf populations were definitely decimated in the '60s and early '70s when they had bounties on them, but they have steadily been climbing back up in numbers around here, in my opinion. Either that, or these "wolves" I've seen are some kind of coyote/wolf hybrid, but they look just like a very large wolf to me.

There have been alleged chupricabra sightings in our area, too, but most people think they are just a variety of coyote hybrid that have been eaten up with the mange.

toddg
01-03-2012, 05:18 PM

could be a squatch farting....or maybe a mouse peeing on a cotton ball..who knows..

Rabid Cougar
01-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Where did you get that info, Rabid Cougar? I think they're mistaken. I know I've seen some wolves in East Texas several times. Believe me, I can tell the difference between a wolf and a coyote. The difference is strikingly obvious. The wolves around here are huge, usually in the 80 to 100 lb range, and the coyotes are usually in the 25 to 50 lb range. There are many more coyotes around here than wolves, but there is a substantial population of wolves still around. Wolf populations were definitely decimated in the '60s and early '70s when they had bounties on them, but they have steadily been climbing back up in numbers around here.

There have been alleged chupricabra sightings in our area, too, but most people think they are just a variety of coyote hybrid that have been eaten up with the mange.

In my work, I am always asked about wildlife like wolves and cougars, ect. I have spoken with TPWD Wildlife Biologist who deal with predators many times and have done some research on my own. The red wolf has bacially disappeared because the Coyote has encoached upon the Red Wolf range in East Texas. The two are very similar in size in resemblance and readily interbred. The wolf has been basically bred out of existance in the wild. There are large coyotes out there and may have Red Wolf genetics but they are coyotes.. not wolves.

The Gray Wolf is a large animal and there is no mistaking these. They are built for taking large animals like bison and elk. Deer are no problem for them. The closest population Gray Wolf are packs in Yellowstone. Although there has been one recorded as far south as Denver several years ago. This one was radio collared and travel almost 700 miles from her original range in Wyoming.

We do have Cougars/Mountain Lions around here, specially in the Hill Country.

All the information is readily availible from TPWD or various universities' wildlife biology websites.

The chupracabra is a real critter. Soldiers from Texas took them to Afghanistan and turn them loose in the mountains to hunt Taliban.

Matthew328
01-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I saw a black panther between Cleveland and Sour Lake on 105 one night

GrTigers6
01-03-2012, 05:36 PM
We caught a panther/ mountain lion on stadium camera late one night. Even made the news!

Cam
01-03-2012, 05:49 PM
Ok....let me get this straight....there are no wolves in Texas...I can accept that.....but there are chupacabras, and, squatches in the dense forests of just about every state.......
Rabid Cougar, sounds like you know your stuff....but what everyone here is tellin' me is that the ugly-ass howl I heard last night was either a husky, a chupacabra, a hybrid coyote, a bigfoot in disguise, me high on weed, or Greendawg after a night out drinkin'!!........hmmm:thinking:.....DAMN YOU GREENDAWG!!!!

Yo Greendawg, me and the boys are thinkin' of gettin' on the roof at night with spotlight and guns in hand....you can join us if you'd like....that wolfy is goin' down.......which reminds me of old times......I once had a girly friend in junior high that everyone called "Wolfy" cause her forearms were super hairy!!! She was really a pretty girl....just had hairy arms that's all........which I absolutely did not mind.......Greendawg....your arms hairy??? :thinking:

SintonFan
01-03-2012, 06:03 PM
I have seen alot of foxes, they making a comeback here in the coastal bend...hmmm.

Rabid Cougar
01-03-2012, 10:11 PM
And there is always werewolves. I am sure that there are several of these critters disguised as posters on this board. Greendawg?:wave:

greendawg84
01-04-2012, 08:50 AM
And there is always werewolves. I am sure that there are several of these critters disguised as posters on this board. Greendawg?:wave:

Damn you Cam , that was supposed to be a secret and you tole the Rabid Cougar ????

greendawg84
01-04-2012, 08:59 AM
Hell yeah , count me in , I got lots of guns and ammo!

TMI on the hairy girlfirend and it aint nun yo bidness ifin I gots hairy arms. Come to think of it I could prolly pass myself off as the short round squatch of Inks Lake!

:eek:

AP Panther Fan
01-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Hell yeah , count me in , I got lots of guns and ammo!

:eek:

If it looks like Taylor Lautner (Jacob) from Twilight....don't shoot!

Cam
01-04-2012, 01:39 PM
If it looks like Taylor Lautner (Jacob) from Twilight....don't shoot!

dangit...another Twilight fan (like my daughter).....and if it looks like Taylor Lautner, it's dead!....a werewolf shouldn't be pretty!.......by the way, that nose on that boy looks creepy and kinda alienish....I just don't get it...I'm way handsomer!!...so's Greendawg!!.....:taunt:

I'm goin' to lunch...

Daddy D 11
01-05-2012, 12:47 AM
I killed a mountain lion the other day, weighed a little over 160 pounds.

Cam
01-05-2012, 10:26 AM

that's a big kitty kitty...where did you get em'? I know we've got some mountain lions where I own some property at the Whitewater Springs development (now called The Preserves) near Bertram/Oatmeal....I'm always lookin' over my shoulder when I'm walkin' those woods!!

bigwood33
01-05-2012, 11:07 AM
Wow! That's a monster! Share a pic or two.

pancho villa
01-05-2012, 12:40 PM
I killed a chupacabra the other day with my bare hands. weighted over 200lbs

bigwood33
01-05-2012, 01:59 PM
I killed a chupacabra the other day with my bare hands. weighted over 200lbs
That IS a big one! The last one I killed (with my bare hands...obviously) was only about 185 lbs. :wave:

Cam
01-05-2012, 02:16 PM
Holy cacerola!.....what's with all the chupa slayings??.....here we got all these folks trying to prove their existence....and you guys are wasting them as casually as a good ball scratchin' on aisle 4 of your local HEB when nobody's lookin'!!!.....geez....at least take a picture!!...of the chupa that is...not your scratchin'.....:doh:

BEAST
01-05-2012, 03:27 PM
Holy cacerola!.....what's with all the chupa slayings??.....here we got all these folks trying to prove their existence....and you guys are wasting them as casually as a good ball scratchin' on aisle 4 of your local HEB when nobody's lookin'!!!.....geez....at least take a picture!!...of the chupa that is...not your scratchin'.....:doh:

Cam, sometimes you dont have a camera when you need one. I promise you there are squatches in the woods around Texas. One night last summer I was out cow tipping, when I heard one cow let out a sound of pain. I look over and theres the squatch getting his groove on with the cow. I killed it, with my swiss army knife can opener. Meant to open the knife but grabbed the wrong blade. Anyway, I ran to get my pick up, when I got back there was blood and hair on the ground but no squatch. Evidently, that is how all these mythical creatures stay hidden. Their dead bodies can vanish.

BEAST

buff4ever
01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Cam, sometimes you dont have a camera when you need one. I promise you there are squatches in the woods around Texas. One night last summer I was out cow tipping, when I heard one cow let out a sound of pain. I look over and theres the squatch getting his groove on with the cow. I killed it, with my swiss army knife can opener. Meant to open the knife but grabbed the wrong blade. Anyway, I ran to get my pick up, when I got back there was blood and hair on the ground but no squatch. Evidently, that is how all these mythical creatures stay hidden. Their dead bodies can vanish.

BEAST

I know, this happened to a cousin of mine, not the cow stuff and all, but killing him one, and goin to get truck and camera, and it being gone and all. We suspect that they travel in 2's, and their spouse takes them away to hide them from the public. Crazy stuff man, scares me to even go in the woods.

I don't know what to tell you, if you get to close to finding them, they will probably kill you or something.

GrTigers6
01-05-2012, 04:30 PM

BEASTMan this room is really getting DEEP! I better get out before I drown in B.S.:D

Rabid Cougar
01-05-2012, 08:00 PM
There are squatches everywhere.Several have cleaned up and are now in the WWE.

GrTigers6
01-05-2012, 09:32 PM
There are squatches everywhere.Several have cleaned up and are now in the WWE.Or work for Geico! lol

AP Panther Fan
01-06-2012, 12:14 PM
near Bertram/Oatmeal....I'm always lookin' over my shoulder when I'm walkin' those woods!!

lol...Oatmeal...I have never heard of it, but googled it and now I know alot of Oatmeal history. Crazy name.

SintonFan
01-06-2012, 05:41 PM
lol...Oatmeal...I have never heard of it, but googled it and now I know alot of Oatmeal history. Crazy name.

Did your cholesterol go down in the process? :D