PDA

View Full Version : A Good read on the problems in Dallas

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2012, 11:12 AM
http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/01/02/12/The-Morning-After-Cowboys-talent-betrays/landing_cowboys.html?blockID=637998&feedID=3799

Really like this part

The organization has not passed the test yet again for a myriad of reasons. And, with all due respect to Emmitt Smith, mental toughness is well down the line. Smith might think that mental toughness is the sole explanation for a team not rising to the occasion in a place like New York, as he did in 1993, but, he played on a team that had many Hall of Fame-caliber players and depth that amazed any observer. Mental toughness is a great tiebreaker when talent is equal, but in this space, the premise is that the Cowboys have some very impressive top end talent, but not nearly enough strength on their roster to win a game like the contest that was asked of them on Sunday night.

I think the whole mental toughness, attitude thing is very overrated..when it comes down to this team, they simply dont have enough top to bottom talent

Pendragon13
01-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I agree with Emmitt, outside of a few top players it seems that this team lacks the will to do whatever it takes to win on a week to week basis. I think the entire team is living off the past success (which no current player was a part of) combined with the "America's team" perception, the most valuable sports franchise, and their glitzy facilities. What I mean is that all of this means that every other team will be gunning for them (often giving the Cowboys their best effort of the year) while the Cowboys players themselves seem to overestimate their own worth. Think of it this way: being a starting player on the Dallas Cowboys automatically gives that player more prestige than say starting the same position for nearly any other team. Even if they don't perform to their full potential and get traded...they will still bank more money than being traded from the Bengals. (or comparable team) Why should they risk a career ending injury by going 100% on every single play when they can just be "good enough" and still have all the perks of being a Cowboys player? Things won't change until the players get tired of being the laughing stock of the NFL.....and simply being a "Cowboy" no longer gives them higher stock value.

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2012, 12:36 PM
I agree with Emmitt, outside of a few top players it seems that this team lacks the will to do whatever it takes to win on a week to week basis. I think the entire team is living off the past success (which no current player was a part of) combined with the "America's team" perception, the most valuable sports franchise, and their glitzy facilities. What I mean is that all of this means that every other team will be gunning for them (often giving the Cowboys their best effort of the year) while the Cowboys players themselves seem to overestimate their own worth. Think of it this way: being a starting player on the Dallas Cowboys automatically gives that player more prestige than say starting the same position for nearly any other team. Even if they don't perform to their full potential and get traded...they will still bank more money than being traded from the Bengals. (or comparable team) Why should they risk a career ending injury by going 100% on every single play when they can just be "good enough" and still have all the perks of being a Cowboys player? Things won't change until the players get tired of being the laughing stock of the NFL.....and simply being a "Cowboy" no longer gives them higher stock value.

or maybe those players are simply not as good as we think.

VWG
01-03-2012, 01:21 PM

^^^^^
THIS!

They aren't that good. Have some solid players, but not enough to make up a playoff caliber 53 man roster.
O-Line needs major work and their secondary is weak.

Macarthur
01-03-2012, 02:02 PM
^^^^^
THIS!

They aren't that good. Have some solid players, but not enough to make up a playoff caliber 53 man roster.
O-Line needs major work and their secondary is weak.

I wouldn't say playoff caliber because if they win 2 of the games that were blown because of clock managment and they were in before the Giants game. As I've said, there is not much difference in a mediocre team and one like the Giants that slides into the playoffs.

Now, if you point is there is a big difference in the 53 man roster of the Cowboys and say the Packers or the Steelers, you have a very valid point there.

Let's not forget the Cowboys beat the #2 seed in the NFC in their house. It's not like this think needs to be blown up, but they do need some significant upgrades on the defense.

Macarthur
01-03-2012, 02:04 PM
But I def agree with the jist of the article.

83Indian
01-03-2012, 02:45 PM
Mental toughness as in:

1) Falling on fumbled balls and not standing around watching tackles. (Look at the second fumble and you will see what I mean).
2) Tackling vs. diving at legs to let a firstdown occur that keeps a TD scoring drive alive. i think this happened two or three times.
3) Jumping offsides twice that results in keeping a TD scoring drive alive.
4) 4th and 1 and a rushed call QB sneak fails.

These may not all be mental toughness but I think they mostly are.

Old Tiger
01-03-2012, 04:59 PM
or maybe those players are simply not as good as we think.this fa show...

I mean no one in the secondary is worth a damn anymore. Newmann was good his first couple of years in the league or so.

LB has Ware and to some extent Lee.

Not elite DL kills you. I know ratliff is good but he is not elite.

1 elite pass rusher with a beyond suspect pass D = not very successful

Tyrone Smith will be at LT next year....but other than him the talent isn't that good. Free would be better served at RT. Interior OL is crap.

RB's are nothing but talent alone and haven't proved anything

Witten is a bright spot but he isn't that much of a threat

IMO they should draft Cody Johnson or pick up as a UFA and that would help them out a lot as a FB who can catch out of the backfield.

Take away Ware and the starting D front 7 only combined for 13.5 sacks. That is terrible considering that Ware gets doubled and has TE's and RB's chipping him.

SintonFan
01-03-2012, 05:53 PM

true... true

Bullaholic
01-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Apparently, Jerry Jones disagrees with a lot of our Cowboys problems evaluations:

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7418937/dallas-cowboys-owner-jerry-jones-consider-giving-gm-title

Roughneck93
01-03-2012, 08:22 PM
or maybe those players are simply not as good as we think.I hate to, but I have to agree with this. http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/sad/smileys-sad-674843.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

crcope
01-04-2012, 05:01 PM
With all due respect- Blown up is exactly what is needed- EVERY year we hear about what needs to be tweaked here and there -and every next year we all find ourselves in the same situation 1 more time. Every game -players -coaches- broadcasters to an extent- owners-gm's- fans etc just keep on giving the standard lines over and over -need defensive help- tony needs to win in December- eliminate the penalties-quit turning ball over- get more turnovers from opponents-establish running game-and on and on and on- BUT nothing changes- oh a free agent here -a cut player there but no real significant dealing with effort problems- arrogance of whole program- poor drafts- lack of cohesive leadership from coaches offices (too afraid to try or dispatched if they do) no- they just stand back up in front of microphones and soft soap the truth -this francise has been running on fumes for years and years- Jerry Jones loves this team and has been willing to sacrifice all for it but now he has had his run as GM and he must admit as hard as it may be -that it is time for him to go back into owners box and stay put -hire a gm like Pollian -get out of his way- and give him whatever it takes to get this thing back on top. Make every single player and coach expendable and let someone else have a shot- trade/draft/sign free agents- start all over again if needed and
get this thing right. Mr Jones do that and your legacy would be even greater than you think it will be now.

SintonFan
01-04-2012, 08:33 PM
With all due respect- Blown up is exactly what is needed- EVERY year we hear about what needs to be tweaked here and there -and every next year we all find ourselves in the same situation 1 more time. Every game -players -coaches- broadcasters to an extent- owners-gm's- fans etc just keep on giving the standard lines over and over -need defensive help- tony needs to win in December- eliminate the penalties-quit turning ball over- get more turnovers from opponents-establish running game-and on and on and on- BUT nothing changes- oh a free agent here -a cut player there but no real significant dealing with effort problems- arrogance of whole program- poor drafts- lack of cohesive leadership from coaches offices (too afraid to try or dispatched if they do) no- they just stand back up in front of microphones and soft soap the truth -this francise has been running on fumes for years and years- Jerry Jones loves this team and has been willing to sacrifice all for it but now he has had his run as GM and he must admit as hard as it may be -that it is time for him to go back into owners box and stay put -hire a gm like Pollian -get out of his way- and give him whatever it takes to get this thing back on top. Make every single player and coach expendable and let someone else have a shot- trade/draft/sign free agents- start all over again if needed and
get this thing right. Mr Jones do that and your legacy would be even greater than you think it will be now.

true.. true
true... true

regaleagle
01-05-2012, 01:15 AM
It would not surprise me in the least to finally see some drastic steps being taken this off-season in the restructuring of this organization and team. I think JJ may feel he has maybe 3 years left to make the Cowboys into a team that CAN win a Super Bowl again, and is feeling the pressure. He can't do it in one season, and probably not two. But he must make some changes this off-season for the Cowboys to be on a time-table for a 3 year rebuilding program to get back to the Super Bowl. The problem is Romo may not be able to stick that long with numbers like he is putting up now with a lackluster team around him. Maybe they can do it in just two years, I dunno. It will be a tight window for Jerry and Romo. Another qb will not be able to step in and take on the best of the NFL in just 2 short seasons. This will be something to be watching for before draft day even gets here. Just a feeling I have from being a Cowboys fan since inception.

crcope
01-05-2012, 08:53 AM
But please these would not be drastic steps- these are normal steps teams take at all levels if it is whats neccessary to win- The feeling that its not far off is what perpetuates the level of mediocrity that has replaced the level of excellence this team and organization once considered the norm- even Tony Romo whose immense abilities allow him to make spectacular plays has still never learned how to keep his immense ability to improvise from becoming his and the teams worst enemy at times- again I believe because of a failure to admit to the damage this dual edged sword has done to the team. It is just time to admit it is broke (top to bottom) and is time to fix it all.

sinton66
01-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Nothing changes until Jerry Jones realizes it's a problem MONEY can't fix by itself.