PDA

View Full Version : The smell of black eyed peas cookie makes me

Gsquared
01-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Wanna barf right now. Not sure why I feel like doo doo today

YTBulldogs
01-01-2012, 12:26 PM
Wanna barf right now. Not sure why I feel like doo doo today

LOL. Little too much, huh bud? Happy New Year.

Gsquared
01-01-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes sir, you could say that. Think I almost got kicked out of the hotel shuttle on the way back but I can't remember

ccmom
01-01-2012, 12:51 PM
A black eyed pea "cookie" is enough to make anyone nauseous...hangover or not!

Roughneck93
01-01-2012, 01:03 PM
Black eyed peas...:ack!:

Blue42
01-01-2012, 01:27 PM
Don't forget the Cabbage and don't eat Chicken.

lbjacj
01-01-2012, 01:29 PM
Black eyed peas don't bother me. It's the cabbage smell that I can't stand.

Blue42
01-01-2012, 02:08 PM
Black eyed peas don't bother me. It's the cabbage smell that I can't stand.
Before or after?

regaleagle
01-01-2012, 04:15 PM
Strictly a "southern tradition", I believe. I remember that my wife, who was from Albany NY, was not even aware of this New Year's tradition when we first got married. Does anyone know the origin and the story of the black-eyed peas and cornbread tradition?

NTFan
01-01-2012, 04:29 PM
Strictly a "southern tradition", I believe. I remember that my wife, who was from Albany NY, was not even aware of this New Year's tradition when we first got married. Does anyone know the origin and the story of the black-eyed peas and cornbread tradition?

I think it was the Black Eyed Pea Growers Association that started the tradition...........

Ernest T Bass
01-01-2012, 04:32 PM
There are several contributing factors, but they all seem to center around the idea that black eyed peas resemble gold coins.
Cornbread just tastes really good with black eyed peas.

regaleagle
01-01-2012, 04:38 PM
Tell me you are jesting, NTFan. This tradition dates back to pre-civil war times in the south, I know that much. I think it has something to do with the black slaves in the south being given a day off from working in the fields, and making it a yearly celebration to eat their cornbread, black-eyed peas, and hamhocks. Just don't know why the black-eyed peas? Maybe they were given those by the plantation owners as a gesture of goodwill for another year of good harvest, I dunno.

Ernest T Bass
01-01-2012, 04:40 PM
The black eyed pea traditions dates back to pre-colonial times. Like I said, there are different stories from different culutres, but they all seem to center on the peas resembling gold coins.

lbjacj
01-01-2012, 06:27 PM

The "good luck" traditions of eating black-eyed peas at Rosh Hashana, the Jewish New Year, are recorded in the Babylonian Talmud (compiled ~500 CE), Horayot 12A: "Abaye [d. 339 CE] said, now that you have established that good-luck symbols avail, you should make it a habit to see qara (bottle gourd), rubiya (black-eyed peas, Arabic lubiya), kartei (leeks), silka (either beets or spinach), and tamrei (dates) on your table on the New Year." However, the custom may have resulted from an early mistranslation of the Aramaic word rubiya (fenugreek).[4]

A parallel text in Kritot 5B states one should eat these symbols of good luck. The accepted custom (Shulhan Aruh Orah Hayim 583:1, 16th century, the standard code of Jewish law and practice) is to eat the symbols. This custom is followed by Sephardi and Israeli Jews to this day.

In the United States, the first Sephardi Jews arrived in Georgia in the 1730s, and have lived there continuously since. The Jewish practice was apparently adopted by non-Jews around the time of the American Civil War.

In the Southern United States,[5] the peas are typically cooked with a pork product for flavoring (such as bacon, ham bones, fatback, or hog jowl), diced onion, and served with a hot chili sauce or a pepper-flavored vinegar.

The traditional meal also features collard, turnip, or mustard greens, and ham. The peas, since they swell when cooked, symbolize prosperity; the greens symbolize money; the pork, because pigs root forward when foraging, represents positive motion.[6] Cornbread also often accompanies this meal.

Another suggested origin of the tradition dates back to the Civil War, when Union troops, especially in areas targeted by General William Tecumseh Sherman, typically stripped the countryside of all stored food, crops, and livestock, and destroyed whatever they could not carry away. At that time, Northerners considered "field peas" and field corn suitable only for animal fodder, and did not steal or destroy these humble foods.[7]

Gsquared
01-01-2012, 07:15 PM
A black eyed pea "cookie" is enough to make anyone nauseous...hangover or not!Ok smarty pants, I meant to spell cookin, not cookie.

NTFan
01-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Tell me you are jesting, NTFan. This tradition dates back to pre-civil war times in the south, I know that much. I think it has something to do with the black slaves in the south being given a day off from working in the fields, and making it a yearly celebration to eat their cornbread, black-eyed peas, and hamhocks. Just don't know why the black-eyed peas? Maybe they were given those by the plantation owners as a gesture of goodwill for another year of good harvest, I dunno.

I was indeed

SintonFan
01-02-2012, 10:48 AM
I ate so much black eyed peas and cabbage, Imma gonna be a super lucky rich man. Although I've started the year with horrible gas and the brown tide...
I guess it can only go up from here, right?

Pendragon13
01-02-2012, 11:50 AM
I know that for southerners (do Texans count as such?) it's black eyed peas and the rest of the US is fish for luck...so I covered all the bases yesterday by having grilled tilapia with a side of BEP.