PDA

View Full Version : 7 on 7

bulldog82
12-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Has anyone heard what the future holds for state now that aTm is in sec ?

Matthew328
12-31-2011, 09:46 PM
That will be decided in Jan I think...my guess is Baylor

Manso/V8
01-01-2012, 12:20 AM
Why would aTm conference affiliation have any impact on the 7on7 tournament?

Ernest T Bass
01-01-2012, 02:38 AM
Why would aTm conference affiliation have any impact on the 7on7 tournament?

SEC guidelines don't allow it.

buckeyebob
01-01-2012, 07:19 AM
Fine...I had to hold my nose anyway!

YTBulldogs
01-01-2012, 11:43 AM
I hear San Antonio is interested. Who run's Texas 7on7 anyways?

marler1972
01-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Need to look at Frisco they have Pizza Hut park and athletic complex perfect for a event this size. Fields are always in great shape.

regaleagle
01-01-2012, 04:09 PM
I agree. Frisco would be a viable alternative with their complexes of quality fields.

Ernest T Bass
01-01-2012, 04:34 PM
If they'd just turf Pizza Hut Park, I think they'd see a ton of playoff games being played there.

XMan
01-01-2012, 08:07 PM
Hopefully they will just do away with the whole 7 on 7 thing completely. It just takes time away from baseball. 7 on 7 equals legalized cheating anyhow.

Old Tiger
01-01-2012, 08:16 PM
That will be decided in Jan I think...my guess is BaylorThat works for me!

Old Tiger
01-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Need to look at Frisco they have Pizza Hut park and athletic complex perfect for a event this size. Fields are always in great shape.It has to be in the middle of Texas due to travel reasons.

Old Tiger
01-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Hopefully they will just do away with the whole 7 on 7 thing completely. It just takes time away from baseball. 7 on 7 equals legalized cheating anyhow.Yeah helping your teams passing game and development of young players is so bad. There isn't that much cheating going on between high schools. The problem is street agents.

XMan
01-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Some of yall take the bait much easier than others. On the serious side, how are kids selected to participate? To go to the qualifying tournaments the kids must be sponsored by a school. (coach permission) What if kids that dont play football want to compete at the state level? How can those students be turned away? Maybe im wrong on this, so enlighten me.

Ernest T Bass
01-02-2012, 08:50 AM
Some of yall take the bait much easier than others. On the serious side, how are kids selected to participate? To go to the qualifying tournaments the kids must be sponsored by a school. (coach permission) What if kids that dont play football want to compete at the state level? How can those students be turned away? Maybe im wrong on this, so enlighten me.

We've got a few on the slow side around here.

To answer your question, Ive never heard of anyone who was enrolled at the school and wanted to participate in 7 on 7 being turned away.

Matthew328
01-02-2012, 08:52 AM
Sure those kids could be turned away...if the 7 on 7 parent coach doesn't have him listed on the roster he ain't playing.

San Antonio does have an interest but the state 7 on 7 board would prefer to have the tournament held on a college campus if possible

Matthew328
01-02-2012, 08:53 AM
State Quatlifying tournaments have a roster limit of 20 players..there's players who play on the football team who don't get listed on the roster...now are they able to play in a league etc? Sure...

YTBulldogs
01-02-2012, 09:07 AM
San Antonio does have an interest but the state 7 on 7 board would prefer to have the tournament held on a college campus if possible

IW and/or Trinity have a campus. Those were the one's I heard that are interested.

XMan
01-02-2012, 07:08 PM
Matt, how are rosters usually set, are there tryouts? Ive always wondered this. I would love to get a group of athletic kids together and try to outplay the "football" guys at their own game. what would I need to do to get a team up and go play? I understand that they have to all be from the same high school, that would not be a problem.

Matthew328
01-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Rosters are set "officially" by the coach of the 7 on 7 team but I am fairly certain the HS coach has plenty of input also..

Old LB
01-03-2012, 12:59 PM
It has to be in the middle of Texas due to travel reasons.

Yeah, A&M is right in the center of Texas. :crazy:

Matthew328
01-03-2012, 01:24 PM
A&M is relatively central in location..if we really wanted to have it centralized we could have it in Brady

Rabid Cougar
01-03-2012, 04:48 PM
Matt, how are rosters usually set, are there tryouts? Ive always wondered this. I would love to get a group of athletic kids together and try to outplay the "football" guys at their own game. what would I need to do to get a team up and go play? I understand that they have to all be from the same high school, that would not be a problem.

There are no tryouts. Usually the "team" is made up of the Varsity players that will play on Friday nights the following season. There are some athletic linemen that play too. You can volunteer to coach your school's team as the "football" guys are not allowed to be on the field. However, the teams generally will run some variation of thier established offence. You will get some school yard plays added in for fun too.

There are select teams but they are not allowed to play in the school tournements. The select teams are pretty high caliber with high dollar sponsers. They have no restrictions as to where the players are from. They have a national Championship that is played at Disneyworld in Florida and televised on ESPN.

LH Panther Mom
01-03-2012, 08:24 PM
IW and/or Trinity have a campus. Those were the one's I heard that are interested.
I've only been to in CS twice when State tourney was being played, so if things have changed, apologies.

Don't they normally have at least 3-4 games going on at the same time? I can't imagine where on UIW's campus that they'd have a place for that number, unless they could play on the baseball & softball fields. Trinity's right across the road, so if they split the games between them, it might be doable.

Old Tiger
01-03-2012, 08:31 PM
I've only been to in CS twice when State tourney was being played, so if things have changed, apologies.

Don't they normally have at least 3-4 games going on at the same time? I can't imagine where on UIW's campus that they'd have a place for that number, unless they could play on the baseball & softball fields. Trinity's right across the road, so if they split the games between them, it might be doable.At the state tourney they have like 32 games or so at once.

Matthew328
01-03-2012, 08:44 PM
It's 16 games going at a time...8 full fields

Emerson1
01-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Tarleton could hold that.

LH Panther Mom
01-03-2012, 09:09 PM
It's 16 games going at a time...8 full fields
NO WAY could UIW host it on their own.

FB-fanatic
01-04-2012, 12:23 AM
A&M, just a few weeks ago, hosted the National 7's College Rugby tournament. It was chosen because it was one of the very few facilities in the nation that could hold this size tournament, after Pennberthy Fields added artificial turf fields that could handle the rain. The tournament was a huge success.

BaseballUmp
01-04-2012, 12:37 AM
Texas State could host it.

Old LB
01-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Texas State could host it.

What would they do with the extra traffic? That place is a car wreck waiting to happen.