PDA

View Full Version : The Failure of the BCS

Phil C
12-22-2011, 01:04 PM
I will list just a few flaws. It shows we need to have a real playoff systems if only with just the four top teams and coaches' polls for obvious reasons shouldn't be considered. You would think they would be better judges but it is just the opposite and even the AP poll is genereally much better. The idea is to get No. 1 vs No. 2 play together as the two best teams in the Country but that isn't always the case as seen after ward.

In 2001 Miami beat s Nebraska in the championship game 46 to 29 but what was Nebraska gdoing there having just lost to Colorado in the Big 12 Championship Game 66 to36?

Same case in 2003 when LSU beat Oklahoma 21 to 14 but what was Oklahoma doing there when they had just lost to Kansas State in the Big 12 Championship game 35 to 7?! I bet if they tried they could have found a more worthy team than the Sooners. What is alarming is that in spite of the one sided lost Oklahoma was still ranked No. 1!

In 2008 the Coaches poll keeps Texas out of the Championship and they continue the strange love affair with Oklahoma who Texas beat 45 to 35 (so much for the BCS claim that the scoreboard of every game counts). Of course Oklahoma loses another BCS National Chamionship game to Florida 24 to 14.

Boise State and TCU fans claim they are NC game worthy in spite of very soft schedules. The BCS can pair them against other top teams to prove that is ridiculous but they instead have them play against each other with TCU winning 17 to 14. What a silly missed opportunity BCS missed but that is par for the course.

In 2004 Oklahoma is choses to play USC in the NC game instead of Auburn who is also 13-0. Talk about it being right for the top 4 team playoffs is confirmed as USC whips Oklahoma (who loses is another one) 55 to 19. I wonder how Auburn would have done but it couldn't have been much worse.

In 2007 LSU beats Ohio State 38 to 24 in the NC game but LSU had two losses during the season for the only team with 2 loses to make it while the next year Texas with one last seconds get passed by thanks to coaches in spite of beating the team that plays and gets beat as usual.

In 2004 UT has to beg to get a BCS bowl in spite of a great record and barely makes it proving this was the right decision as California is beat by Texas Tech in a bowl and this was a team UT had whipped during the season.

To give credit the BCS did get it right in 2010 Auburn vs Oregon, 2002 Ohio State vs Miami, and in 2005 when Texas played USC. OF course now the NCAA has determined that later game played in the 2006 Rose Bowl never happened in spite of the thousands of fans in the stand and millions of viewers (myself included) watching on tv.

Hence we need to start a four team playoff with a good system of choosing.

Bullaholic
12-22-2011, 01:07 PM
Phil--I don't admire the BCS...:D

Phil C
12-22-2011, 01:11 PM
Phil--I don't admire the BCS...:D

:)

And Bull what have they done this year. The best they have done is have a rematch of LSU vs Alabama who LSU already beat on the road during the year. If LSU beats them again and OKlahoma State whips their opponent here comes more controversy.

MGAR
12-22-2011, 02:17 PM
That's good stuff Phil.

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2011, 02:48 PM
So what happens if Alabama wins the "National Do-Over" Game? Play two out of three?

LIONS#1
12-22-2011, 03:31 PM
How many Bowls are there? I say at least have the top ten Bracketed for playoffs...The public is getting tired of the BCS Beauty Pageant every year:1popcorn:....True Sports need True Playoffs...it's just that simple!! Everybody's doing it except D-1 NCAA Football..

south texas
12-22-2011, 04:05 PM
every year the bcs has controversy. i mean does the big 12 champ really fall behind a team that didnt win their half of the sec?

Phil C
12-22-2011, 04:30 PM
How many Bowls are there? I say at least have the top ten Bracketed for playoffs...The public is getting tired of the BCS Beauty Pageant every year:1popcorn:....True Sports need True Playoffs...it's just that simple!! Everybody's doing it except D-1 NCAA Football..

This year there are 35 bowls with 70 teams playing.

zebrablue2
12-22-2011, 06:33 PM
This year there are 35 bowls with 70 teams playing.

All about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$!

defense51
12-22-2011, 07:35 PM
So what happens if Alabama wins the "National Do-Over" Game? Play two out of three?
Don't give the bcs any ideas!