PDA

View Full Version : what are your band Shows This year?

DoomMunkey
09-18-2002, 07:50 PM
Hey Band Fan over here? What are your shows
for this year?

TarponR13K
09-19-2002, 04:41 PM
Go away, this is football. No matter how big of a band jock I am, I don't think anybody cares to discuss band shows. I don't even think anybody even knows what their band shows are unless they are in the band.

---ROM!!!

spaniard
09-19-2002, 05:16 PM
no matter how right you are tarp, ease off the guy. hehe, itll be okay.

GoOrange
09-19-2002, 05:53 PM
You know, Tarp, I can tell if I ever saw you in person I'd beat the ever-livin' crap outta you! Your attitude sucks royally! I was a great musician in school and got a full college scholarship, which is more than I'm sure anyone will ever be able to say for your "Tampon" butt. I have many areas of knowledge, including sports and I think you'r about the most shallow-minded twirp I've seen on here to date.
What you need is a band-less school where there is no school song or fight song or any drums beating. Just a bunch of people snoozing in lawn chairs because there's no music to wake them up from your lame butt boring them to tears on the field.

Dark-Knight
09-19-2002, 06:35 PM
ok

[This message has been edited by Dark-Knight (edited September 24, 2002).]

TarponR13K
09-19-2002, 06:37 PM
I am not on here to argue but in my defense, I will tell you that I am a band All stater, I am the Assistant Drum Major, I am the first chair and obviously section leader of my section, I do believe that most of the mail I have been receiving from colleges dealt with music and band programs. I recieved several SEVERAL scholarships to various- Even out of state Band camps.
What makes you think nobody will ever be able to say that for me?

Well, if you'd like to see me in person, you'd see that I happen to be a female and if you'd like to try to beat the cr@p out of a female, you may want to reconsider because in this case you may be horribly humiliated.
My attitude does not suck. I do not know how you assume that. If you heard the type of things this person said on another football forum, maybe you would understand my frustration towards this person spreading his trash to this forum. www.rgvsports.com (http://www.rgvsports.com) sports forum.
And also, if I do not recieve a full scholarship for music, why would I worry, I am taking all AP classes, making all A's, have one of the top GPA's in the school, am in National Honor Society, Who's Who and participate in several clubs and Organizations.

If you would like to respond to this in an immature manner, don't expect me to respond because I will not be banned from this site because you chose to make a horrible judgment.

To Spaniard- thank you. I am just extremely frustrated with the things that this person has been saying about his own team and band and others.

Originally posted by GoOrange:
You know, Tarp, I can tell if I ever saw you in person I'd beat the ever-livin' crap outta you! Your attitude sucks royally! I was a great musician in school and got a full college scholarship, which is more than I'm sure anyone will ever be able to say for your "Tampon" butt. I have many areas of knowledge, including sports and I think you'r about the most shallow-minded twirp I've seen on here to date.
What you need is a band-less school where there is no school song or fight song or any drums beating. Just a bunch of people snoozing in lawn chairs because there's no music to wake them up from your lame butt boring them to tears on the field.

TarponR13K
09-19-2002, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Dark-Knight:
I agree with you GoOrnage! Ease of DoomMunkey! Band Rules!

I KNOW BAND RULES. THAT'S WHY I SAID THAT. IF YOU NOTICED I SAID THAT I WAS (AM) A BAND JOCK. AND IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING, PART OF MY NAME, R13, THAT IS A TYPE OF BUFFET CLARINET. ONE OF THE BEST CLARINETS THAT IS MADE WHICH IS WHAT I PLAY ON. A BUFFET R13. GET IT? BESIDES ALL HE WAS GOING TO DO WAS TALK ABOUT HOW THE BAND FROM HIS OWN HOMETOWN WHICH IS THE SAME AS MINE SUCKS EVEN THOUGH WE ARE STATE RANKED IN EVERY POSSIBLE CONTEST WE'VE ENTERED INCLUDING MARCHING AND TALK ABOUT HOW RIO HONDO'S BAND AND FOOTBALL TEAM IS BETTER WHEN THEY HAVE SHOWN NOT TO BE SO GREAT.

pay more attention
again. visit: www.rgvsports.com (http://www.rgvsports.com) go to their sports forum and read the trash that he's said and maybe you'll understand where I am coming from.
Nobody disses my band and gets respect from me. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/mad.gif
You're from RH. You probably got this site from rgvsports and were part of his trash talking. this is not worth the time!

[This message has been edited by TarponR13K (edited September 19, 2002).]

TarponR13K
09-19-2002, 06:45 PM
a bandless school would be like a football game with no ball. or a wedding with no groom or a refrigerator with no food or a bookshelf with no books or a clock with no hands.
"tampon" is no insult, we've been sayin it ourselves for years

What you need is a band-less school where there is no school song or fight song or any drums beating. Just a bunch of people snoozing in lawn chairs because there's no music to wake them up from your lame butt boring them to tears on the field.[/B]

Dark-Knight
09-19-2002, 06:49 PM
Calm down

sinton66
09-19-2002, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by TarponR13K:
Go away, this is football. No matter how big of a band jock I am, I don't think anybody cares to discuss band shows. I don't even think anybody even knows what their band shows are unless they are in the band.

---ROM!!!

Hey R13, how ya doing girl? Just wanted to remind you that when you go out for a walk, be sure to pick up your feet and try not to kick over any rocks. You never know when something SLIMY might come slithering out! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited September 19, 2002).]

Dark-Knight
09-19-2002, 06:55 PM
Hey, By the way! I had nothing to do with munkey, but i did get this site from RGV sports. A friend recomended it to me! He said it was hilarious what this one guy was doing! Calm down! And no it was not munkey! hes probably a band/football reject from (probably) no offense, your school. He probably got kicked out! and now is trying to get back! But I will see you at the game.
May the best team win OK. And i got this site from a post that footbalgal posted. Its hilarious in that site! I have a daily dose of laughter everyday. That guy alwas posts something really stupid! But good luck!

Dark-Knight
09-19-2002, 07:06 PM
Hey Ive seen this in alot of messages, I wanna know what in the world is ROM. Ive seen you all saying ROM to DoomMunkey!
What is it? if its good or bad or what is it??
Im comfused or confused or something like that!

sinton66
09-19-2002, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Dark-Knight:
Hey Ive seen this in alot of messages, I wanna know what in the world is ROM. Ive seen you all saying ROM to DoomMunkey!
What is it? if its good or bad or what is it??
Im comfused or confused or something like that!
ROM= being designated as a Read Only Member.

Wunderkindepiphany
09-19-2002, 09:23 PM
band is the DEVIL! lol. No seriously, this Doommunkey guy says all kinds of stupid stuff on rgvsports.com. He deserved it.

qb12
09-19-2002, 09:31 PM
Wh ocares about the band....Its a football game not a gig.

sinton66
09-19-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by qb12:
Wh ocares about the band....Its a football game not a gig.

Hmmmmmmm, don't tell me now, let me guess....... I would guess the BAND maybe? http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
qb12, the guy that posted this thread is just trying to get under R13's skin. He followed her here from another board. She's a pretty good kid. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

spaniard
09-19-2002, 10:23 PM
hey tarp, if sinton66 says youre a cool kid it must be true. i was a band freak till i graduated and still was my first year in college. so, dont worry about all the football players that dont understand that band isnt half as bad as people make it out to be, you just keep on keepin on, and git the best scholarship you can, and dont play around in college, and go to class. speaking from experience here.

GoOrange
09-19-2002, 10:26 PM
qb12 gets on my nerves! One minute he's talking about male cheerleaders and the next he thinks his crap don't stink to the point of cutting down bands? You're the quintessential moron! Do you foolishly assume that all those warm bodies in the stands are there just to watch you play? For every band member who quits, you can subtract two parents from the bleachers and any other family member whose DAUGHTER is in the band since they can't play football. If you school's band has 75 members, for instance, that's over 150 fans plus any other people who enjoy music (after all, football is for 3-4 months and music goes on all year). I'll bet your dad is real bigot, too, and raised you to be as much a smart a** as he probably was.
Imagine a school pep rally or football game with no music. As an Aggie's son (from an old post of yours), I think you realize the importance of band - or do you just say that because the Aggie band is mostly guys? You sure do have a hang up with girls doing anything besides playing "street walker".
One word: T-H-E-R-A-P-Y .........

sinton66
09-19-2002, 10:39 PM
Sorta talks out of both sides of his mouth kinda like you Go Orange. One minute YOU"RE wanting to "beat the crap" out of the girl and making crude comments about "tampons" earlier in this thread and now YOU'RE defending her. SHE'S got plenty of friends on here, she doesn't need you. You are a kid hater mister.

spaniard
09-19-2002, 10:56 PM
this threads almost gettin nasty...in more ways than one. keep on postin sinton66, youre gettin closer and closer.

coolguycody_c
09-19-2002, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by TarponR13K:
I KNOW BAND RULES. THAT'S WHY I SAID THAT. IF YOU NOTICED I SAID THAT I WAS (AM) A BAND JOCK. AND IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING, PART OF MY NAME, R13, THAT IS A TYPE OF BUFFET CLARINET. ONE OF THE BEST CLARINETS THAT IS MADE WHICH IS WHAT I PLAY ON. A BUFFET R13. GET IT? BESIDES ALL HE WAS GOING TO DO WAS TALK ABOUT HOW THE BAND FROM HIS OWN HOMETOWN WHICH IS THE SAME AS MINE SUCKS EVEN THOUGH WE ARE STATE RANKED IN EVERY POSSIBLE CONTEST WE'VE ENTERED INCLUDING MARCHING AND TALK ABOUT HOW RIO HONDO'S BAND AND FOOTBALL TEAM IS BETTER WHEN THEY HAVE SHOWN NOT TO BE SO GREAT.

pay more attention
again. visit: www.rgvsports.com (http://www.rgvsports.com) go to their sports forum and read the trash that he's said and maybe you'll understand where I am coming from.
Nobody disses my band and gets respect from me. http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/mad.gif
You're from RH. You probably got this site from rgvsports and were part of his trash talking. this is not worth the time!

YEAH! Another drum major who loves football. I'm a drum major, play clarinet (R13 B flat and R13 E flat) and hope to be all state. I understand your frustration with the band stuff in this forum, but you have to realize that football isn't football without the band. If you've ever been to a football game and the band wasn't there, you'd know what I mean. BORING! Plus, we have all the fun and cheer the whole time because most of us don't even know what's going on. We're your biggest fans! Anyway, by the time I finished rambling, I forgot what I was actually writing about.. Oh, my football team lost tonight 30-0.. GO CY CREEK! (5A hs)

sinton66
09-19-2002, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by spaniard:
this threads almost gettin nasty...in more ways than one. keep on postin sinton66, youre gettin closer and closer.
gotcha brother! Stay tuned.

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 12:35 AM
Thanks a lot guys, for letting me know you're there and all and letting me know you realize I'm a good kid

To the other drum major, I play clarinet as well, I play on an R13 Bflat and I've been messing around with some Eflats lately. We're a small school so Eflats arent a big thing but I'm going to start trying it out. I like it.

I want to apologize to everyone. I know it seems as though everyone is telling other people to apologize to me, basically, but I shouldn't have lost it. I just get so frustrated. People from our own town BOO the band at pep rallies, games, when I called the band to attention tonight, someone from our side yelled "shut up". I don't understand they can say that with all of the state titles that we have, I mean, if you were there, you heard that guy going on forever about it.

SO....I'm sorry guys, back to football!!!!

Tarpons had a GREAT game against Los Fresnos and the battle of highway 100 was NOT a waste of time or talent for that matter.

Hey Dark Knight, are you saying that you are a drum major or are you talking about MY fellow drum major from PI?

Sinton66, Dark-Knight, Wunder, spaniard, GoOrange, coolguycody, THANKS GUYS!

Sorry to get off the topic about football (the whole point of this forum), but I gotta admit, for these few months, band is a part of football. love ya blue!....ok not really but i support ya!

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 12:40 AM
Oh yeah, one of our band directors went to the Rio Hondo game and recorded their marching show. The section leaders got to see it tonight and...that first drill was pretty darn clean. EASY drill but impressive with cleanliness. I give them props. That pass through in the last part, that 4 to 5, i think, im not sure what it was, but it looked like a 4 to 5...guys, no offense, but get something new. Before you did it everyone was like "oh....oh, oh, I WONDER what's coming up!" And ya did it. The second piece, what is it? The hymn? Our band played that for concert contest one year. Very hard to tune, good luck on that one. All in all, you're lookin good but...eeeh...I know my band is not perfect but there's quite a bit left to really work on. Especially that follow the leader circle set. The second piece ...the drill was pretty sloppy.

This is mostly for a Rio Hondo band kid, everyone else, feel free to ignore!! (band jock speaking.....sorry!!!)

just sharing my opinions, maybe you'll be fortunate enough to advance on to state this time.

spaniard
09-21-2002, 12:49 AM
hey tarp, look out for the burnet esprit de corps (spirit of the group), our band and drill team has been to the state comp the last two times. we have placed 9th and 12th in order of appearance. two years ago, we got 12th in my senior year. this year we have a somewhat patriotic show, and we have some hidalgo style moves from their show two years ago that they clinched state with. as a former band jock (almost made all state my senior year on trumpet, and went to state with a brass ensemble in the same year), i want to wish you guys a great season competing in all your contests, and hope to see you guys at state. not sure if you were around two years ago at state, but if you saw burnet, let me know. later!

------------------
<><

slpybear the bullfan
09-21-2002, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by sinton66:
Sorta talks out of both sides of his mouth kinda like you Go Orange. One minute YOU"RE wanting to "beat the crap" out of the girl and making crude comments about "tampons" earlier in this thread and now YOU'RE defending her. SHE'S got plenty of friends on here, she doesn't need you. You are a kid hater mister.

You know Sinton66, I am beginning to wonder if GoOrange IS a girl. Or at least plays like one....

slpybear

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 01:13 AM
Yes, we were at state marching 2 years ago. I don't know...who was Burnet. You got 12th? Congrats. We got 10th. Sad because it was not a good performance. Wet turf is not cool. And I think they were intimidated by those thousands of people. Poor Hidalgo, you know what happened there, right? Well, don't want to start gossiping on here but they really did have an awesome band. Like the Mummy show? they did have some nice moves....that they integrated well as opposed to Rio Hondo doing that same boring crap (NO OFFENSE!!) it wouldnt be boring if it werent so predictable. Maybe we saw Burnet. i don't know, I'll look at the T-shirt! Anyway, if you're at state marching, HOPE to see you there, and if you're at the TMEA convention for state in San Antonio, maybe we'll see there too. ya just never know!

We've got some major respect, pride and class issues at our school. I'm not going to hesitate to bring it up. The band, humbly being the most successful organization in the school...takes so much crap. I dont understand. Is it a jealousy issue? I know I already mentioned it, byt The band got booed from a percentage of people at the last pep rally, our name was crossed out and drawn on on a club awareness poster, some people had the nerve to boo us at the game tonight when we had barely taken the field, and when I called the band to attention on the field tonight, somebody yelled "Shut UP!!". That really got me steamed. I don't understand how people can be so disrespectful. Personally, I think we've earned respect at the very least. I'm not asking for those people to love us but at least learn some manners. Are the ex-band members or something? Are they football fans jealous of the band's superiority when it comes to state titles etc? WHAT IS IT? AND WHY????!!!

sorry, I just had to vent sorry guys. I know....football.

hey tarp, look out for the burnet esprit de corps (spirit of the group), our band and drill team has been to the state comp the last two times. we have placed 9th and 12th in order of appearance. two years ago, we got 12th in my senior year. this year we have a somewhat patriotic show, and we have some hidalgo style moves from their show two years ago that they clinched state with. as a former band jock (almost made all state my senior year on trumpet, and went to state with a brass ensemble in the same year), i want to wish you guys a great season competing in all your contests, and hope to see you guys at state. not sure if you were around two years ago at state, but if you saw burnet, let me know. later!

[This message has been edited by TarponR13K (edited September 21, 2002).]

spaniard
09-21-2002, 01:26 AM
we had a show that had music from saving private ryan, and other war veteran stuff. you would remember our show, we had a huge american flag that our drill team spreak out on one of the songs. if you remember that show, then maybe you remember the trumpet duet, i was one of those trumpets. that turf was pretty bad i heard, it was dry when we played. yeah, hidalgo did have an awesome band, and it is sad what has happened to it bc of some stupid decisions. but now that they are probly out of the picture, other bands will start to recieve recognition that they never got bc of the shadow of hidalgo. but my little brother is now in the band, so im gonna be at most or all of his competitions that i can make it to. their first comp is at boa in huntsville the 5th of october, they hopefully will be ready to compete, there isnt the same solidity in fundamentals and player skill as there was when i was in the band, my senior year was quite a group. but oh well, they will do fine.

------------------
<><

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 01:42 AM
We have yet to be ready to go to BOA. We planned on it one year but it just didn't happen. I may remember your show. When you said trumpet duet...I may have remembered that. So your drill team went with you??? A duet at state marching, congratulations! Yes, the turf was horrible that part of the day. You are lucky you marched on it while it was dry. My sister almost slipped and almost knocked me over while we were doing a footwork visual. It was pretty bad. Our show was worthy of making finals but we just weren't ready I guess. well see, that band director was hired back but then they fired him again so...that's even worse. I feel pretty bad about the whole thing that happened there. Especially kids whose parents took them out. That must have really hurt some kids. It showed to have hurt the band but what they DID have on the field last year, their marching was still just unbelieveable. Yes, if anybody knows about receiving recognition after the shadow is gone, it's definitely me. After my sister left, who...was a TMEA 5a all stater because she was basically confident that she would have gotten 1st chair in atssb 3a so she went for 5a, was just...an outstanding band student...but anyway, ever since she graduated I've been just...wow I feel like it's all about me sometimes and I get so much credit and recognition it's just...amazing to be out of her shadow. I've even been saying that exact thing about the shadow. I know what you mean. However I really enjoyed Hidalgo being our buddies up there. Both from the rio grande valley. that was great, we were at area and the two bands to advance were valley bands and we knew hidalgo was ten times better than us so we just looked at them as big brothers. we supported them all the way. Our and is very young this year, I'm actually worried about how things will turn out because there is problems with drill, being in step, a little bit of spacing, havent experience much phasing, and the music just isn't there. It's there but not when we're moving. I'm scurred!!! lol. anyway, hey, if you wanna talk to me off this board let me know- it's always cool to meet fellow band jocks. Good Luck to your brother.

[/B][/QUOTE]

spaniard
09-21-2002, 01:48 AM
heh, we looked at hidalgo as, well, im not sure how to put it bc their perussion director was fired from burnet and he was always calling our director trying to cause a stink, so we really didnt like them too much, but they had an incredible program the last two times state was available for 3a. thank you for the good luck for my bro, the terd plays french horn, a trumpet players worst nightmare is for a sibling to play french horn, but oh well, he seems to be pretty good at it. and good luck to yourself.

------------------
<><

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 01:56 AM
heh, we looked at hidalgo as, well, im not sure how to put it bc their perussion director was fired from burnet and he was always calling our director trying to cause a stink, so we really didnt like them too much, but they had an incredible program the last two times state was available for 3a. thank you for the good luck for my bro, the terd plays french horn, a trumpet players worst nightmare is for a sibling to play french horn, but oh well, he seems to be pretty good at it. and good luck to yourself.

AH, The almighty french horn (blehh) We just hired a new french horn teacher. we have about 5-7 this year. Last year we didnt even have any in our symphonic band because non of them were good enough. They were horrible but now they seem to be doing pretty well. I am extremely proud of how far they've come. Of course they are on mellophones for marching season. Sometimes I wish I played a brass instrument so that I could participate in DCI. I wonder how those drum major positions work...hmmmm...anyway, how good is your brother, any chance of you being at the TMEA convention in San Antonio in February? Hidalgo has a great percussion line. well, good battery percussion, I think you may have lost a good director.

spaniard
09-21-2002, 02:03 AM
im not sure about tmea. not sure whats gonna be going on. my brother is alright for a freshman, hes a lot opposite of what i am/was, he always practices and is studious and all that good stuff, i gave him an easy reputation to live up school wise, but he isnt as loud or crazy or stupid as i am/was. hes a good kid, and is lightening up a lot since ive been back home. but thats another story in its own hehe. yeah, we did lose a great perc director, flores was pretty stinkin good, but he was one of the ones fired i think. but we got another one that graduated from midwestern-state, and has taken our percussion to another level. my senior year he took them to the indoor competition and competed successfully against 4 and 5a schools. not sure about last year, i was in college, and i hope they will continue to get better and better. anywhoo, i best be gettin to bed, its like late, and im not sure if im working tomorrow. im not sure if my email is on my profile. if it is, fine, if its not, ill get back to ya later. till then, take care and God Bless!!

------------------
<><

[This message has been edited by spaniard (edited September 21, 2002).]

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 02:10 AM
im not sure about tmea. not sure whats gonna be going on. my brother is alright for a freshman, hes a lot opposite of what i am/was, he always practices and is studious and all that good stuff, i gave him an easy reputation to live up school wise, but he isnt as loud or crazy or stupid as i am/was. hes a good kid, and is lightening up a lot since ive been back home. but thats another story in its own hehe. yeah, we did lose a great perc director, flores was pretty stinkin good, but he was one of the ones fired i think. but we got another one that graduated from midwestern-state, and has taken our percussion to another level. my senior year he took them to the indoor competition and competed successfully against 4 and 5a schools. not sure about last year, i was in college, and i hope they will continue to get better and better. anywhoo, i best be gettin to bed, its like late, and im not sure if im working tomorrow. im not sure if my email is on my profile. if it is, fine, if its not, ill get back to ya later. till then, take care and God Bless!!

Oh, well, if he's only a freshman, he's gonna have to be pretty damn good to be in san antonio for state. i didnt make it my freshman year, then my sophomore year i knew what it took. so...experience makes all the difference. he wont know what to expect or what to practice, how to practice and how much to practice...ya never know how things can work out. Midwestern state? impressive...of course it's no southwest! lol that....great music school but 5 star party school. people falling over drunk on weekdays was enough for me to tell my sister that i would never visit her at college if she went there. She ended up at SFA in Nacogdoches. That's good- comp vs 4 and 5a. We go to a marching contest with all the class sizes. They rank people in classes and they have the best 5 march in finals- that's the best out of the 5a,4a and 3a all together. We ended up marching finals meaning we automatically beat out several 4a's and a few 5a's. and of course all of the 3a's. This was last year though.
Hey, I'm helping you make Varisty!!!

spaniard
09-21-2002, 02:17 AM
heh, i just realized i only have a few posts left till i make it. thanks for the help. :-)

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 02:18 AM
lol you're welcome! it's a pleasure

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 02:30 AM
GEEZ!! I'm going to bed SOMETIME SOON!! Sinton66, thanks a lot. you really did make my night. and Spaniard--dont mean to leave ya hangin but i am TIRED! Good night guys, and congratulations on everyone's game. I know my team lost but they really did win...i am in NO WAY whatsoever disappointed in how they played...I am however disappointed that they get a charter bus for the town that is right next to ours...seems like money could be better spent some way else.

[This message has been edited by TarponR13K (edited September 21, 2002).]

CentralTxFan
09-21-2002, 07:53 PM
spainard-aren't you forgetting about the choir that was in the field show your senior year? That was one really big highlight! They helped add a little something to the show!

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 08:06 PM
a choir??? since when were choirs and drill team part of marching band? I can MAYBE understand the drill team but colorguards have been doing quite a bit of dancing on the field these days.

spaniard
09-21-2002, 08:18 PM
heck yeah, the choir ensemble that sang with us out there was awesome!! tarp, the choir sang for part of the song "hymn to the fallen" from saving private ryan. if you ever have a chance to hear the soundtrack from that movie youll understand why the choir added such an element to it.

------------------
&lt;&gt;&lt;

Ozzy
09-21-2002, 08:28 PM
my band has about a 2-hour gig on our current tour. we like to start with some of the older stuff we played with Randy Rhoades (crazy train, war pigs, sweet leaf) and then move on to our newer stuff. the Ozzfest is in full swing right now. Oh, my frickin mind wanders...you dudes are talking about football bands.....bloody crap

---------------------------------------------

"Standing at the crossroads, World spinning round and round Know which way I'm going, You can't bring me down"

Wunderkindepiphany
09-21-2002, 08:37 PM
Hey R13K, how did LF's band sound? I thought they sounded alright...

coolguycody_c
09-21-2002, 09:01 PM
Whoops, I just realized that last time I posted, I didn't even address the topic. This year, we're playing Music for a Darkened Theatre with selections from Danny Elfman's Batman Returns, Black Beauty, Beetlejuice, and Edward Scissorhands. We're trying a new thing this year. A varsity and non varsity band. We are only marching 136 (including pit and drumline) which is a cut of about 55 people. Sounds great though...we even have an (un-miked so far) flute/french horn duet... a little strange if you ask me. But it sounds great! We are in one of the hardest regions in the state, so there is little chance we'll make it to state. We have to compete with Cy Falls (awesome), Langham Creek (awesome), and Cy Fair (awesome) to name a few, those are all in my school district (CFISD) too! We also have to deal with all the Katy schools and people from Austin and San Antonio. Go CY CREEK COUGAR MARCHING BAND!!

TarponR13K
09-21-2002, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by coolguycody_c:
Whoops, I just realized that last time I posted, I didn't even address the topic. This year, we're playing Music for a Darkened Theatre with selections from Danny Elfman's Batman Returns, Black Beauty, Beetlejuice, and Edward Scissorhands. We're trying a new thing this year. A varsity and non varsity band. We are only marching 136 (including pit and drumline) which is a cut of about 55 people. Sounds great though...we even have an (un-miked so far) flute/french horn duet... a little strange if you ask me. But it sounds great! We are in one of the hardest regions in the state, so there is little chance we'll make it to state. We have to compete with Cy Falls (awesome), Langham Creek (awesome), and Cy Fair (awesome) to name a few, those are all in my school district (CFISD) too! We also have to deal with all the Katy schools and people from Austin and San Antonio. Go CY CREEK COUGAR MARCHING BAND!!

Coolguy, how big is your school??? Are you a 3a? Danny Elfman music, you are lucky. I would love to do a show like that. Plus I love batman...and i think beetlejuice and edward were a pretty cool part of my childhood! lol. if you are not in 3a then I understand you saying one of the hardest regions but if you're in 3a then you may be mistaken. No offense or anything. But the Rio Grande Valley is straight up known for their band programs. Sure, the football is big but only because schools down here are football towns and people like to make a big deal out of it no matter how good or poor their team plays. But the bands here are very well known. We are the home of the 3a state marching champions. From out area, the two that were chosen to advance to state were both valley bands, my band and the band that went on to win the finals. And the schools down here have quite a few all staters. Needville is not in our region though they are in our area also has quite a bit of all staters. Rio Hondo and Hidalgo(state marching champs 2x in a row)get a lot of all staters and my school broke the state record and we got ten, that's on that competed and made state on the 5a track.....So...if you're not 3a then you might want to reconsider thinking that your school has the toughest region. Well, our competition from the region, being the former state champs, Hidalgo, is basically out of the picture for reasons i care not to discuss so...we're really just...well, it's hard to say we've got to work hard to beat a certain band. Rio HOndo has been basing their program around beating us and I think this year they're gettin pretty close though their drill is pretty simple. Looks good though. We're having some trouble though so there's no telling what will happen at area if we get there. We should be advancing but there is no guarantee.
My band is doing the Rise and Fall of Rome this year. Our state show in 2000 was Carmina Burana and last year we did Miss Saigon.
The director made some cuts in the final movement which led me to tell him that our show is now the Rise of Rome because he took out the significant part in the music where it signifies Rome actually falling and the tragic part afterward. I'm pretty upset about it. But oh well, what can ya do?

coolguycody_c
09-21-2002, 11:39 PM
Yeah, I go to a 5 A hs. We have 3,300 kids. Yeah, i stay up on this site cuase I used to go to Vernon hs. 2000, we did Of Heros and Kings with El Cid, Conan the Barbarian, Willow, and Robin Hood. That show was SO MUCH FUN. Last year we did Appalachain Spring.. gag. gag. (have I gagged yet?) Never play that. It's soooo annoying. Anyway, have you every heard of Mr. Munos (Adrianne Munoz) the band director. I know he came from a 3A school in the valley and he taught at my school last year, but now he's a director at one of the other schools in my district. He's really cool.. that was random. Oh, I'm a drum major.. we have 4. LOL I'm second assistant.

Dark-Knight
09-22-2002, 12:12 AM
YO YO YO! Wait Up! Thanks for the props, but one thing is for sure! WE are not doing our show around yall! Im not going to say who we are basing our show on, but its deffinitly not around PI! By the way, you all taped our show! So you all are worried about us HUH! That is a compliment, when another band is worried about us! But thanks, we do have to work on our Drum Feature, especially the rotating circle! C U IN a week Tarpons! http://bbs.3adownlow.com/ubb/wink.gif

TarponRl3k
09-22-2002, 12:14 AM
it's me. had to make slight changes to my name, now im a scrub again. maybe i can get it back to my original name. grrr.
We only have two drum major. But only one conducts the show. I march in the show. I dont know if I could give up marching next year...maybe I just won't try out for drum major next year...well even if I do, my director will let me march....hopefull...I don't know. Do you conduct, if you do, do you miss marching. Because I love marching. This year is a state year for you as well, right? 5a and 3a.

UUURRRGGGG!!! I want my original name!!!

SintonChick03
09-22-2002, 11:32 AM
hey guys just wanted to say that sintons band is not that bad.. with out the kick off cadence i dont know what i would do.. i am in bAnd myself and u have not been to to many sinton games if yall say no one pays attention to the bAnd because when we march our stands are full beleive that our faN love us..we do things that are fans wont to see like oUR symbol the NEVER ENDING S...and moSt bands just stand there and play but not sinton mostly every second we move..to be truthful to yall there is more students in band than there is iN the athlETIc program..157 band students this year and we just got a brand new band hall..GO PIRATES!!! SRS S003

Ranger Mom
09-22-2002, 11:47 AM
I have to admit I am jealous of a football team that is backed by a good band. Our band consistently makes 1's in contest, but those songs are no good in the stands at a game. I think our band maybe knows 3 to 4 songs that are good at a game. My husband and I went to a 5A game and I was shocked at how much I enjoyed the band. They played the Hawaii Five-O theme and Wipeout. The stands were rockin!! A good band goes a long way in getting the crowd fired up!!

Kool Tarpon 21
09-22-2002, 11:55 AM
DoomMunkey does talk a lot of trash. Too bad he can't do it here.

sinton66
09-22-2002, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Kool Tarpon 21:
DoomMunkey does talk a lot of trash. Too bad he can't do it here.
He CAN, but it wouldn't be very wise!

TarponRl3k
09-22-2002, 02:36 PM
Yeah, he could talk trash on here but he'd become a ROM pretty quick if he did what he does on rgvsports.
What is this? number of posts a TWO DIGIT NUMBER?!! grr....darn it I want my username back!

Some bands just don't have time for football tunes anymore. I hate to say it- I wish we could play more in the stands but we have to think about defending our state title. I know it may seem kind of selfish but aren't we giving enough being at the games supporting the football team? The football team doesnt play at our band contests so why do people assume that we should be obligated to only worry about football crowds? That's probably the least of our concerns. HOWEVER, we are very eager to learn the new tunes we got this year. Austin Powers music, Iron Man, some twisted sister, indiana jones, inspector gadget, hehe. And I found an arrangement of Play That Funky Music. I doubt my band director will get it though.
That's just how I feel- we're a state ranked band because we have our priorities set and once we catch up to where we need to be, THEN we'll start thinking about football music. In the band world...it's not about firing up the crowd anymore. Just be glad we still go to the games even though we aren't treated with much respect or even feel welcome most of the time. I almost walked out on that pep rally. How can you boo a state ranked program and then cheer for a barely 2nd round playoff football player who simply quoted from Varsity Blues??????????????? I don't understand!!

ElMeroMero
09-22-2002, 05:45 PM
What happen to Hidalgo? I remember seeing them at the finals and man were they awesome.

Dark-Knight
09-23-2002, 10:58 AM
OK

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 04:13 PM
They marched, they just didn't compete. And there is NOTHING wrong with that. They had great fundamentals with the tiny corp that they did have this last year.

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 04:16 PM
If you really want to know....I could go into details however I don't feel this is the place to talk about it. They lost their head band director, got him back and lost him again. That one director was where all the goods were coming from.
Also, what happened was the cause for them marching such a small corp and the confusion with directors was what caused them to no compete that year. Who knows what will happen this year. They are awesome marchers though, we really looked up to them as a big brother or sister at state marching when they marched the finals and took it ALL

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 05:21 PM
dark knight, the kids that they still have still are good.
and witht he whole "chase" thing...it makes sense. Your director is obsessed with PI and being better than us. He has been for a while. Which...you know, if something should happen to PI (which, we cant practice because of the hurricane) or you pass us up, then I will have no problem with it because you know what? We got to state by revolving our program around Hidalgo's program and it worked. We got to where they were and hopefully this year, we can MAYBE be the state champs or maybe even you guys can be. I would like for it to be a valley band if Hidalgo cant defend their title, who better to do it? When we get to the higher levels, we're no longer enemies. So lets just start now.

ElMeroMero
09-23-2002, 05:51 PM
I just cant see how they arent as good just from losing their director because my band lost our director and were bout the same.

TarponRl3k
09-23-2002, 05:53 PM
they didnt JUST lose their band director. A lot of kids were taken out by their parents and a lot of kids quit on their own from shame i guess.

Prawling-Knight
09-24-2002, 09:50 AM
Hey! We are not chasing after you, last i remeber whe did not go to your game and recorded you show! The chase is for a whole different band! Youll see on Friday

The Chase Begins!!! Bobcat Band 2002

youll know when you see us

This is Dark-Knight......my other name was well you know

Dark-Knight
09-24-2002, 02:24 PM
I got my name back! Im so happy

Bobcats rule!

TarponRl3k
09-24-2002, 03:59 PM
I already saw your show, what are you talking about? Yeah, I know...we only recorded your show because we were curious as to how far behind we let ourselves get during summer band. we didn't start learning drill until school started. And the best way to find out when you're the best band in the region is to compare to the other best band in the region which would be you guys. Besides, my band director is really competitive. We cant even do anything about it, it's not like we write our own drill.

Dark-Knight
09-25-2002, 09:53 AM
**tear**tear** Wow! That was emotional! That was nice thing you said! And best of luck friday

The Chase is on!!!

whtfbplaya
09-25-2002, 02:13 PM
bad!

whtfbplaya
09-25-2002, 02:13 PM
bad!

TarponRl3k
09-25-2002, 06:20 PM
what's bad

this is the way we ball
09-26-2002, 10:53 AM
Is there a band web site where all of you can go talk to each other.. This program is designed to discuss football.

TarponRl3k
09-26-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by this is the way we ball:
Is there a band web site where all of you can go talk to each other.. This program is designed to discuss football.

I'm sure there is but see, this particular thread talks about band. If you have a problem with band, which football games would be hella boring without, then I suggest you simply do not read what is posted on this thread. It's simple. You see band in the subject line...Do Not Click. Easy interpretation, si?