PDA

View Full Version : Is there a trend toward playing your best players on O and D?

OldNavy
12-21-2011, 06:32 PM
During the State Championships I noticed in all classes there were many players playing both offense and defense. I thought 3A and above would not be doing that. But, it seemed the best programs in the state this year were using two way players with great success. Was that just a this year thing, or have I just not been as observant as I was this year?

toddg
12-21-2011, 06:40 PM
During the State Championships I noticed in all classes there were many players playing both offense and defense. I thought 3A and above would not be doing that. But, it seemed the best programs in the state this year were using two way players with great success. Was that just a this year thing, or have I just not been as observant as I was this year?

Alvarado used several players that way throughout the season..it was limited to just a few in the playoffs as some of the sophs matured...but when you have a big play guy like our #2, you have to give them touches on offense!

Ernest T Bass
12-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Put the 11 on the field that give you the best chance to win.

toddg
12-21-2011, 06:48 PM

:iagree:

bobcat1
12-21-2011, 07:40 PM
Put the 11 on the field that give you the best chance to win.This!

Gone Fishing
12-21-2011, 10:43 PM

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2011, 09:24 AM

Its been happening for years in all classifications.

Old Tiger
12-22-2011, 11:26 AM
omg new phenomenon!

This just in we beat the Nazi's!

Bullaholic
12-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Bridgeport has been platooning since 93'. I have to say that the Bulls have won many games against a lot of teams who play their best players both ways in the 4th Quarter. Occasionally, Coach Henson has used offensive players on defense situationally in the past. The Bulls won a 4OT game against Lake Worth one season when they used Colin Jones on defense and he sacked the Lake Worth QB to end the game.

Ernest T Bass
12-22-2011, 12:02 PM
omg new phenomenon!

This just in we beat the Nazi's!

It IS a new phenomenon in the larger classes. It used to be damned near blasphemy to have anyone go both ways in 5A, but lots of coaches are finding that their stud going both ways is still better than player B playing one side; at least part time anyway. What we ended up doing is most of our defensive 2nd team kids were offensive first team kids.

toddg
12-22-2011, 12:18 PM
you know..some kids are just , plain and simple, great football players and when the game is on the line..i want those kids in the game..plain and simple!

Ernest T Bass
12-22-2011, 12:20 PM
I still don't think it's wise to have any kids going both ways full time if you dont have to, but if you've got a 3-nutted stud, I see no reason for him not to start on side and spot play on the other. Hell, even Euless Trinity does it, and they've got 3,000+ kids to pull from.

gatordaze
12-22-2011, 12:47 PM
I still don't think it's wise to have any kids going both ways full time if you dont have to, but if you've got a 3-nutted stud, I see no reason for him not to start on side and spot play on the other. Hell, even Euless Trinity does it, and they've got 3,000+ kids to pull from.

Celina only had 2 kids go both. One of my sons averaged over 100 plays per game this season at OT and NT. The downside is that it was particularly hard to go both ways as a lineman and maintain body mass. He lost 15 lbs during the season that he has only now regained. The upside is that he was all district and all state on both sides of the ball which is a rare honor and makes him a pretty low risk recruit as he can play multiple positions. I would like to have seen if he performed better going only one way but he would rather stay on the field.

toddg
12-22-2011, 04:28 PM
Celina only had 2 kids go both. One of my sons averaged over 100 plays per game this season at OT and NT. The downside is that it was particularly hard to go both ways as a lineman and maintain body mass. He lost 15 lbs during the season that he has only now regained. The upside is that he was all district and all state on both sides of the ball which is a rare honor and makes him a pretty low risk recruit as he can play multiple positions. I would like to have seen if he performed better going only one way but he would rather stay on the field.

at NT/OT thats a hard 100 plays!!

Manso/V8
12-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Bellville does it situationally, maybe the starting strong side tackle would play DT on short yardage and goal line situations.
Sometimes the quicker LB's or DT's might rotate in at FB.
I think having kids focus primarily on offense or defense helps team morale, builds depth, is good for the program, and makes you a better regular season team. If you have those over the top stud players that can make an impact and have the stamina to play on both sides of the ball, I think it can make you a better playoff team.

Rabid Cougar
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM
My son who graduated in 09 played both ways at DE and Guard for China Spring earning All-State DE 07 and 08. He played EVERY defensive down at DT at North Texas this season. Try that on for size...

bobcat1
12-22-2011, 10:27 PM

Celina only had 2 kids go both. One of my sons averaged over 100 plays per game this season at OT and NT. The downside is that it was particularly hard to go both ways as a lineman and maintain body mass. He lost 15 lbs during the season that he has only now regained. The upside is that he was all district and all state on both sides of the ball which is a rare honor and makes him a pretty low risk recruit as he can play multiple positions. I would like to have seen if he performed better going only one way but he would rather stay on the field.He is the 3 nutted stud that decleated that kid in the Lovejoy game. Jake is awesome. Queue for the video again Dad!

Ernest T Bass
12-22-2011, 10:49 PM
He is the 3 nutted stud that decleated that kid in the Lovejoy game. Jake is awesome. Queue for the video again Dad!

Do I take it you like my term?

bobcat1
12-22-2011, 11:00 PM

Do I take it you like my term?It's catchy.