PDA

View Full Version : State Finals move to Alamodome

lbjacj
12-18-2011, 05:58 PM
For next two years all Football State Championships will be in San Antonio at the Alamodome.
Sorry if this was posted earlier but I didn't see it.

lbjacj
12-18-2011, 07:00 PM
I may be the only one but I like the fact that they will rotate it. I mean Jerryworld is the ultimate in stadiums but the Alamodome is not too bad from a fans perspective. Don't know about the locker rooms or the press box. There are a lot of fans in south Texas that can't afford the trip to Arlington, but would be able to drive up for the games and drive home afterward.

ccmom
12-18-2011, 07:03 PM
Is 6 man still going to be at Shotwell or is that changing, too?

lbjacj
12-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Is 6 man still going to be at Shotwell or is that changing, too?

Not sure about that one.

TexMike
12-18-2011, 07:32 PM
Where was this announced?

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 07:34 PM
We were in the press box for several of the state games. They were talking about the Cowboys trying to land some Saturday night NFL games next year. So--I guess that played into them moving the state games for a couple years to SA. Though, I have not seen it officially announced yet.

Now, I know SA knows how to host events and make them fun for all. I just hope they upgrade the facilities. Get some new, little larger jumbotrons. Not Jerry's size, but--they do need larger ones in there.

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Or, Jerry now knows he will be fighting lawsuits from that utility golf cart incident following the Steele game.

win the 4th
12-18-2011, 07:45 PM
For next two years all Football State Championships will be in San Antonio at the Alamodome.
Sorry if this was posted earlier but I didn't see it.

Do you have a link?

Emerson1
12-18-2011, 07:50 PM
http://twitter.com/#!/padillapoll/status/148174914040508416

Eagle 1
12-18-2011, 08:40 PM
A twitter link? LOL.....yea that's a reliable source.

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 08:44 PM

Where will they play then with Dallas using the Stadium on a Saturday night NFL game, when the state games are held?

We thought maybe the UIL would ok the play on Sunday. Play the state games on Thurs, Fri and Sun.

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2011, 08:46 PM

News breaks on twitter before anything else now

Eagle 1
12-18-2011, 08:51 PM
Where will they play then with Dallas using the Stadium on a Saturday night NFL game, when the state games are held?

We thought maybe the UIL would ok the play on Sunday. Play the state games on Thurs, Fri and Sun.

I think the UIL won't announce anything until after the alignment in Feb. I'm sure they will weigh the pros and cons of having the games at Cowboy Stadium before they announce anything.
Is the Cowboys 2012 schedule out?

WildTexan972
12-18-2011, 08:51 PM
I still can not believe humans with any clue about watching the game of football still whine about whether a stadium has an adequate jumbotron or not.....the game is on the field and if you want to see replays stay home but ALL the other factors about the game are more important than the jumbotron....ALL of them.....

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 09:06 PM
I still can not believe humans with any clue about watching the game of football still whine about whether a stadium has an adequate jumbotron or not.....the game is on the field and if you want to see replays stay home but ALL the other factors about the game are more important than the jumbotron....ALL of them.....

Trust me, paying fan's love the replays. Atleast this weekend they did. Team's, yeah your right, they don't care. Parking lot fine by them. :)

Alamodome just needs to clean up a bit. It's getting old, and if they wanna compete with the facilities, they need to invest some for upgrades. Those screens in there now, are also the scoreboard as I recall. Not just for replays. And, it's hard to see things on it for the fans.

Emerson1
12-18-2011, 09:07 PM

LOL. I know you are like 90, but I would believe a tweet for the Padilla Poll over Joe Blow for the Bumsville Gazzette.

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 09:10 PM
I think the UIL won't announce anything until after the alignment in Feb. I'm sure they will weigh the pros and cons of having the games at Cowboy Stadium before they announce anything.
Is the Cowboys 2012 schedule out?

I'm sure it is to the organization. They (NFL stadiums) got to plan things out well in advance. I'd bet they know next couple years in advance. Those stadiums are big business and have to plan events years out.

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 09:12 PM
LOL. I know you are like 90, but I would believe a tweet for the Padilla Poll over Joe Blow for the Bumsville Gazzette.

True Emerson. And, I know it was being talked about by Cowboy staff. I didn't hear where it was being moved to, just that they had a conflict because a Saturday home Cowboy game.

Emerson1
12-18-2011, 09:13 PM

If they are going to force schools to play at a set location, let them play at the nicest football stadium in the world and not the dump of an Alamodome. It's bad enough they are going to make the schools and fans drive 300 miles, but now it's to play in the Alamodome and not Cowboys Stadium. You are freaking out over nothing.

sinfan75
12-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Rotating games from Arlington to SA would be great! Nothin wrong with the Alamo Dome!! And if the Texans would put artificial at Reliant we rotate to there! Ain't no reason for the North Texans not havin to make long travel plans.:2thumbsup:taunt:

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 09:19 PM
If they are going to force schools to play at a set location, let them play at the nicest football stadium in the world and not the dump of an Alamodome. It's bad enough they are going to make the schools and fans drive 300 miles, but now it's to play in the Alamodome and not Cowboys Stadium. You are freaking out over nothing.

I also heard the UIL is trying to sign a 10 year deal with Cowboy Stadium for the state games. I assume they have to get past this Cowboy Saturday game first, and it's possible move to the Alamodome.

Eagle 1
12-18-2011, 09:29 PM
I'm half 90, so you do the math.
Meanwhile, I'll believe what the UIL puts out over a tweet from anybody.
If I remember correctly, they didn't announce that all the games would be at Jerry's world until midseason.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/high-schools/headlines/20110725-uil-hints-cowboys-stadium-may-host-football-state-titles-for-a-while_.ece

UIL hints Cowboys Stadium may host football state titles for 'a while'

MARK DENT
Staff Writer
mdent@dallasnews.com
Published: 25 July 2011 02:37 PM

FORT WORTH – Cowboys Stadium will host the UIL football state championships for all divisions of Class A through 5A in December, UIL athletic director Mark Cousins announced on Monday. This will be the first time all five classifications will play at the same site.

“Anybody that loves football in the state of Texas having the opportunity to see all those games in the same place is something we are very excited about,” Cousins said.

Last year, Cowboys Stadium hosted the 3A, 4A and 5A state championship games. The Class A and 2A games were held at Mansfield’s Vernon Newsom Stadium. The announced attendance was 43,321 for the Class 5A Division I title game between Euless Trinity and Pearland.

Cousins said the UIL has not decided on a site for future championship games. Several years ago, the UIL announced a plan to spread the title games between Houston, the DFW-area and San Antonio, a rotation that has already occurred.

Cousins hinted at the possibility of keeping the game in Dallas for the future.

“A lot of times it’s good to try to settle something and get something in place for a while and giving it an opportunity to grow and spread,” he said.

Denton Guyer coach John Walsh, whose team played in the 5A state title game last year against Cibolo Steele, called Cowboys Stadium first class in terms of the fan experience and the organization for the participating teams.

Denton Ryan’s Joey Florence originally opposed having all the games at one site until his team’s 4A championship game against Austin Lake Travis last year at Cowboys Stadium, a venue he sees as the best in the state to accommodate multiple games and teams.

“I think they should have it in Dallas every year,” he said. “I don’t know why they wouldn’t.”

Here is the schedule of state finals, according to the UIL:

Friday, December 9, 2011

Conference 3A Division I – 7:30 PM

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Conference 1A Division I – 12:00 PM

Conference 1A Division II – 4:00 PM

Conference 2A Division I – 8:00 PM

Friday, December 16, 2011

Conference 2A Division II – 12:00 PM

Conference 3A Division II – 4:00 PM

Conference 4A Division I – 8:00 PM

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Conference 4A Division II – 12:00 PM

Conference 5A Division I – 4:00 PM

Conference 5A Division II – 8:00 PM

MGAR
12-18-2011, 09:30 PM

and that's a pretty darn good source.

Emerson1
12-18-2011, 09:32 PM
Dag nabit that ol' dang tweeter aint no reliable source.

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 09:34 PM
and that's a pretty darn good source.

:iagree:

Mr. Padilla is a solid source.

sinfan75
12-18-2011, 09:46 PM
[QUOTE=Emerson1;1652408]If they are going to force schools to play at a set location, let them play at the nicest football stadium in the world and not the dump of an Alamodome. It's bad enough they are going to make the schools and fans drive 300 miles, but now it's to play in the Alamodome and not Cowboys Stadium. You are freaking out over nothing.[/QUOTE Alamodome is GREAT venue for highschool football. Don't need a Cowboys style "Jumbotron" to watch a football game!!

LIONS#1
12-18-2011, 10:21 PM
Hey...well I heard at the Early Whataburger just the other day that.......well I best not say....:1popcorn:

29-3aFAN
12-18-2011, 10:41 PM
I liked when they played state @ the state capital.

Pendragon13
12-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Rotating games from Arlington to SA would be great! Nothin wrong with the Alamo Dome!! And if the Texans would put artificial at Reliant we rotate to there! Ain't no reason for the North Texans not havin to make long travel plans.:2thumbsup:taunt:West Texans get the short end no matter what. Some of our pre-district games are further than going to Arlington.....and drives more than an hour away are also common for district play.

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 10:48 PM
Just let the teams involved decide where to play, for these next 2 years Cowboy Stadium isn't available.

I'm pretty sure starting in 2014, the following 10 years, state games will be held at Jerry's World.

Bull Butter
12-18-2011, 11:14 PM
Bet the Alamodome folks will keep the golf carts parked

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 11:18 PM
Bet the Alamodome folks will keep the golf carts parked

That was bad, huh? Lawyers swarming around Jerry's World this morning. Anyone heard the condition of those hurt? Hope all is ok?

Emerson1
12-18-2011, 11:59 PM
That was bad, huh? Lawyers swarming around Jerry's World this morning. Anyone heard the condition of those hurt? Hope all is ok?
The two guys that were down the longest were both having a leg looked at.

Matthew328
12-19-2011, 09:24 AM
Guys, I was with Padilla when he asked Dr. Breithupt about the locale next year and Dr. Breithupt said "we will probably move south next year" now that still leaves some interpretation but you can read between the lines here.

I talked to a couple of other unnamed UIL sources in the pressbox and the talk is there is pressure from schools and people of influence down south to move the games to San Antonio. The UIL does not believe the games in the Alamodome will bring anywhere close to the crowds that have been brough to Cowboys the last two years, but until they actually prove that point there will always be naysayers.

My guess is the UIL has it in San Antonio the next year or two and then once they see the crowds are not nearly as big they will move it back. Let's also remember the Alamodome is not nearly as nice for the teams (locker rooms suck), the fans (awful parking fewer ameneties) or the media (smaller pressbox means they will either limit credentials even more or have auxillary press seating). The ONLY advantage San Antonio has is their downtown area being good for the fans etc...

hollywood
12-19-2011, 10:24 AM
Ridiculous. I know Cowboys stadium is the best there is to host the SC football games... But to say any other place such as the Alamodome is horrible, come on. It's about the money these days so those of you who want it in Austin (like I do), well, aren't going to get your wish. There is not a facility there, yet, that is weather proof from the outside elements. DKR would be awesome, but you wouldn't have near the fan draw when the weather could play a huge factor at times.

Now maybe a decade or so from now, hopefully sooner, some investors will figure out that a multi sport indoor facility that seats about 60K-80K will draw college bowl games and state HS playoffs in all sports across the board. Anyone want to join my cause... pony up the $ and we'll become millionaires. ;)

Roughneck93
12-19-2011, 10:42 AM
I wouldn't mind a rotation at all. I wish Reliant would go to an artificial surface so Houston could get in the mix.

Matthew328
12-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Ridiculous. I know Cowboys stadium is the best there is to host the SC football games... But to say any other place such as the Alamodome is horrible, come on. It's about the money these days so those of you who want it in Austin (like I do), well, aren't going to get your wish. There is not a facility there, yet, that is weather proof from the outside elements. DKR would be awesome, but you wouldn't have near the fan draw when the weather could play a huge factor at times.

Now maybe a decade or so from now, hopefully sooner, some investors will figure out that a multi sport indoor facility that seats about 60K-80K will draw college bowl games and state HS playoffs in all sports across the board. Anyone want to join my cause... pony up the $ and we'll become millionaires. ;)

Alamodome is a dump...I went there this year and was shocked at how little upkeep the city of San Antonio has done on that place....locker rooms are tiny...the in and out and parking is a bigger nightmare than Cowboys...

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Alamodome is a dump...I went there this year and was shocked at how little upkeep the city of San Antonio has done on that place....locker rooms are tiny...the in and out and parking is a bigger nightmare than Cowboys...

Totally agree. But, it beats cold to freezing temps with rain or sleet coming down. The fan's will come here knowing they will atleast be warm and dry. Yes, love to see Reliant change to field turf.

TexMike
12-19-2011, 11:54 AM
The Alamodome is a city-run facility and like all other local government entities, has had to do more with less. They have tried to make it at least self-sustaining but it is impossible to do that with the minimal amount of rented bookings they have. They have even converted some space to a theater to try to keep it from being a total money pit. They do need to do some work on it though and perhaps the UTSA success will spur them to do so.

Eagle 1
12-19-2011, 12:20 PM
A couple of thoughts here.
First, All six of Goldthwaites State Championships have been played outdoors and it didn't stop me from going.
Second, what does artificial turf have to do with anything? Three of Goldthwaites State Championships were played on natural grass and ALL of our home games are.
So to me a true fan of the game, I will be there no matter where they play.
Man we have become a spoiled society.

lbjacj
12-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Second, what does artificial turf have to do with anything? Three of Goldthwaites State Championships were played on natural grass and ALL of our home games are.

You can't play nine games on grass. The field would be a mess by the last 5A game.

BEAST
12-19-2011, 12:25 PM
First, All six of Goldthwaites State Championships have been played outdoors and it didn't stop me from going.

The natural grass deal isnt the schools against it. Take DKR or Reliant, I dont think they would want their grass totally jacked up with 9 or 10 games played on them back to back. DKR for sure. If if has been raining that field would be toast.

BEAST

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 12:26 PM

Grass field comes into play when the UIL wants all the state games played at one location. No grass field can handle 9 straight games of traffic. And, a dome stadium will create more overall attendance than an outdoor facility in December. Remember, it's all about $$$$ with the UIL. The day's of teams selecting where a state game will be held are over IMO.

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2011, 12:30 PM

this is not about the true fan, true fans follow their team..You want to maximize the third party fan...how man do you think show up to Mason game if not indoors?

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
this is not about the true fan, true fans follow their team..You want to maximize the third party fan...how man do you think show up to Mason game if not indoors?

That Mason attendance was awesome kicking off the state games. Steele game attendance was sad I thought. Hell, Mason game might of had more viewers.

Eagle 1
12-19-2011, 12:35 PM

Yes I would have went and watched Mason if it was in the rain. In fact, I took my rain gear to watch them play against Ganado in Georgetown. Luckly the rain held off till just after the game.

Good point about the grass, I didn't think about that.
However, have you ever seen our field at the end of a season? We only have one field, so the jr high, jv, and varsity ALL play and practice on the same field. Needless to say it's pretty rough by the end of the year. Of course we are country boys and dont mind that. :)

hollywood
12-19-2011, 12:43 PM

I was there a couple of years ago for a Brownwood/Burnett game and another time for a marathon where they held the "Expo" there. It wasn't Cowboys stadium quality by far but was decent enough to host the SC's. Not sure how the UIL deals with Cowboys stadium, but I bet the UIL could get Alamodome for a better price if it's that run down.

Anyone else see an enclosed facility in Austin coming in the near future? I personally would rather see the football SC's be played at DKR with the elements a factor just for the sake of the true game, but we all understand why it's being moved in the direction of enclosed facilities. I tell you, that SC game between S'ville and La Marque back in '93 @ DKR was an awesome atmosphere.

Matthew328
12-19-2011, 12:45 PM

This.....I think that's another reason why the games at the Alamodome won't draw quite as much because San Antonio in general is too clickish...if a certian schools team isn't playing the fans aren't likely to show

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 12:48 PM
This.....I think that's another reason why the games at the Alamodome won't draw quite as much because San Antonio in general is too clickish...if a certian schools team isn't playing the fans aren't likely to show

That was true at Cowboy Stadium as well though. Not many there for the final game between 5A schools. But, when SLC played, it was a great crowd.

Matthew328
12-19-2011, 12:49 PM
I was there a couple of years ago for a Brownwood/Burnett game and another time for a marathon where they held the "Expo" there. It wasn't Cowboys stadium quality by far but was decent enough to host the SC's. Not sure how the UIL deals with Cowboys stadium, but I bet the UIL could get Alamodome for a better price if it's that run down.

Anyone else see an enclosed facility in Austin coming in the near future? I personally would rather see the football SC's be played at DKR with the elements a factor just for the sake of the true game, but we all understand why it's being moved in the direction of enclosed facilities. I tell you, that SC game between S'ville and La Marque back in '93 @ DKR was an awesome atmosphere.

What you saw a few years ago is worse now because there's been no upgrades since then..also don't be so sure about the price...Cowboys Stadium is in fact cheaper to rent than the Alamodome for playoff games..Cowboys just charges a flat fee of 9k...Alamodome charges a fee of 1/3 of the gate...PLUS if you factor in the potential lower attendance at the Alamodome I doubt its going to be a better deal for the UIL or the schools

Matthew328
12-19-2011, 12:51 PM
That was true at Cowboy Stadium as well though. Not many there for the final game between 5A schools. But, when SLC played, it was a great crowd.

It's true but not to the degree in San Antonio...I bet 1 to 2k who stuck around for Steele were general football fans...factor in the late start time and you've got the small crowd...

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2011, 01:01 PM
What you saw a few years ago is worse now because there's been no upgrades since then..also don't be so sure about the price...Cowboys Stadium is in fact cheaper to rent than the Alamodome for playoff games..Cowboys just charges a flat fee of 9k...Alamodome charges a fee of 1/3 of the gate...PLUS if you factor in the potential lower attendance at the Alamodome I doubt its going to be a better deal for the UIL or the schools

one of the things people never get Jones credit for is how the Cowboys handle HS games and pricing..he loses more than he gains

Maroon87
12-19-2011, 01:52 PM
I say rotate it among DFW, SA, and Houston. And if you don't want to go because it's in the Alamodome, then by all means stay home. Problem solved.

BwdLion73
12-19-2011, 02:00 PM
one of the things people never get Jones credit for is how the Cowboys handle HS games and pricing..he loses more than he gains

I bet he does not make much....but I doubt if Jerry loses money on the deal. I was passing thru and only got to catch the Friday Cisco/Refugio game but he got my $25. The crowd was not huge but I would guess it was close to 10,000.

pirate4state
12-19-2011, 02:14 PM
The only reason I like it being in SA is because it's only 2 hours away from me, but I'm not a fan of the Alamodome. Never have been really.

I thoroughly enjoyed the past 2 years at Jerry World and would love for it to continue after 2014. The event is at the same time every year so if you are a true fan of HS sports you will find a way to schedule your vacation and save your pennies for that weekend. Think of it like the NCAA World Series ;)

Matthew328
12-19-2011, 03:04 PM
I say rotate it among DFW, SA, and Houston. And if you don't want to go because it's in the Alamodome, then by all means stay home. Problem solved.

Yes, then you stay home and UIL has poor attendance and it never goes back...brilliant!

Txbroadcaster
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM
I bet he does not make much....but I doubt if Jerry loses money on the deal. I was passing thru and only got to catch the Friday Cisco/Refugio game but he got my $25. The crowd was not huge but I would guess it was close to 10,000.

cost of the place being open is huge...that is why a corporate party got first dibs on the place in the middle of Texas HS football on a saturday night

BwdLion73
12-19-2011, 03:45 PM
State games will bring the home team fans no matter where thay play.

The next factor is do the teams in the game have a long history or fan base for playoffs that would make fans of other high schools say "I want to see that team play".

The third factor would be where is it being played. People will come to see the big screen and have their picture taken at Cowboy stadium.

In 2010 when we played All Saints I saw people from Brownwood who could not have told you before the game that our mascot was a lion.....well that may be a bit much but you get my drift. 4 people that sat beside me were from Brownwood and were attending their first game.

toddg
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
State games will bring the home team fans no matter where thay play.

The next factor is do the teams in the game have a long history or fan base for playoffs that would make fans of other high schools say "I want to see that team play".

The third factor would be where is it being played. People will come to see the big screen and have their picture taken at Cowboy stadium.

In 2010 when we played All Saints I saw people from Brownwood who could not have told you before the game that our mascot was a lion.....well that may be a bit much but you get my drift. 4 people that sat beside me were from Brownwood and were attending their first game.

exactly!!! it is a great place!! if we are fortunate enough to be in the SC game again.Alvarado folks love San Antonio.

Eagle 1
12-19-2011, 07:43 PM

Those six dollar waters and ten dollar popcorns made up the difference.
Jones is a business man and can always find a way to squeeze a dollar out of a dime.

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 07:46 PM
Those six dollar waters and ten dollar popcorns made up the difference.
Jones is a business man and can always find a way to squeeze a dollar out of a dime.

True, No way Jerry would take a loss hosting anything. $15/day to see state games is a good deal for the fan's though IMO. He'll get them in, and make the difference with grub cost. Seen a few re-filling their water bottle via the bathroom sink.

Maroon87
12-19-2011, 07:53 PM
Yes, then you stay home and UIL has poor attendance and it never goes back...brilliant!

I don't think the UIL will have anything to worry about..they'll get a good sized crowd no matter where they play. Just because it's not at Jerry World doesn't mean it's gonna be awful.

WildTexan972
12-19-2011, 09:26 PM

The Jerry staff treats those kids like kings, and that is worth something.....but I doubt Jerry loses much of anything....he gets parking money, concessions, and from what I have heard he has a few advertisers (not Miller Beer) that he can get small cash out of to keep their ads up during the games in his place....and he gets some fans to decide to go see a Cowboys game by seein the place....he rarely loses money on anything, so SC games are probably pretty close to break even if nothing else....

Matthew328
12-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Thats another VERY underrated thing about Cowboys Stadium...the staff is friendly to the fans and the coaches and players will all tell you they are treated very well at Cowboys....my experience at the Alamodome is the exact opposite...part of it is Cowboys Stadium is run by private organization that really stresses the importance of treating fans like guests....you don't get that at the Alamodome which is a city run organization....

Something else to consider...when the 5A games were held in San Antonio I don't believe they had a crowd there of over 20k for any of the games....Katy and Abilene I think may have gotten close to 20k in 2009 but thats been it...now would the crowds be bigger in San Antonio because all the classes are held there?? Yes...but the Cowboys Stadium drew nearly 200,000 people for the 10 games there this year....I'm not sure games at the Alamodome would draw 150,000...but part of the reason for the move is to see if the same kind of crowds can be generated...most in the UIL don't believe it to be the case....it'll be interesting to watch

hollywood
12-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Stephenville vs Port Neches Grove for the State Championship back in '99 had a wopping 39K at the dump of a place called the Astrodome.

http://pngindians.com/sports/football/attendance

hollywood
12-20-2011, 10:09 AM
I know the Alamodome isn't Jerry World, but it's better than Texas Stadium was when a lot of SC's were played there... now that place had history but became a huge eye sore and was way worse in my opinion than the Alamodome. Parking was horrendous at Texas Stadium.

ccmom
12-20-2011, 10:15 AM
I know the Alamodome isn't Jerry World, but it's better than Texas Stadium was when a lot of SC's were played there... now that place had history but became a huge eye sore and was way worse in my opinion than the Alamodome. Parking was horrendous at Texas Stadium.

Have you been back since 1999?

hollywood
12-20-2011, 10:23 AM
Have you been back since 1999?

Oh yeah. The (Sville/PNG) SC in 1999 was at the Astrodome.

I was at the Alamodome in 2008 and 2009. Has it gone down hill since then?

Sheesh ccmom, did you forget your bi-focals? :rolleyes: :D

Sville
12-20-2011, 10:43 AM
The Astrodome was shut down by the Houston Fire Marshal's office 5 or 6 years ago. It needs over 6 million dollars in repairs to bring it up to code and the owner Harris County is not spending that on a nearly 50 year old facility.

Emerson1
12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Stephenville vs Port Neches Grove for the State Championship back in '99 had a wopping 39K at the dump of a place called the Astrodome.

http://pngindians.com/sports/football/attendance

A lot of run down can happen in 13 years...

YTBulldogs
12-21-2011, 10:36 AM

You got this right. Plus, with UTSA making it their home stadium, maybe it will get some care to it?

hollywood
12-21-2011, 11:58 AM
A lot of run down can happen in 13 years...

Yes and the Astrodome was already past it's years when they played that game. The Alamodome isn't anywhere near that bad.

I would think that if the UIL allows the same number of games to be played at the Alamodome as were this past year at Cowboys Stadium, there wouldn't be much of a variance in attendence numbers. Some may have their opinion of the Alamodome but overall it's not a dump. It's very capable of hosting the State Championship games. Plus, there's the Riverwalk and lots of great history for the families to see. So it doesn't matter if it's played at Jerry World, Alamodome or some neutral site... it's for the whole enchilada!

hollywood
12-21-2011, 12:05 PM
The Astrodome was shut down by the Houston Fire Marshal's office 5 or 6 years ago. It needs over 6 million dollars in repairs to bring it up to code and the owner Harris County is not spending that on a nearly 50 year old facility.

Yep, it was well past it's glory days, that's for sure. Alamodome isn't anyhwere near the condition the Astrodome was/is!

hollywood
12-21-2011, 12:09 PM
You got this right. Plus, with UTSA making it their home stadium, maybe it will get some care to it?

I agree.. this could help bring in some needed cash flow.

YTBulldogs
12-21-2011, 01:11 PM
Yes and the Astrodome was already past it's years when they played that game. The Alamodome isn't anywhere near that bad.

I would think that if the UIL allows the same number of games to be played at the Alamodome as were this past year at Cowboys Stadium, there wouldn't be much of a variance in attendence numbers. Some may have their opinion of the Alamodome but overall it's not a dump. It's very capable of hosting the State Championship games. Plus, there's the Riverwalk and lots of great history for the families to see. So it doesn't matter if it's played at Jerry World, Alamodome or some neutral site... it's for the whole enchilada!

Totally :iagree:

San Antonio giving the heads up they will be hosting the State Games, will have things in order and prepared. One thing this town can do, is host events like no other City can IMO. It's a pleasure visiting that town cause they pride themselves hosting something. And, they host alot of events.

Alamodome needs some upgrades certainly, but---it's no dump, yet.

sahen
12-21-2011, 02:06 PM
I am giving the alamodome a second chance this year when I go to the alamo bowl, but when i went to watch Dayton play in the state finals a few years back I was underwhelmed...it may be because of my seats though, i was in the back of the lower section (only section open) and had the overhang from the level above us blocking the view of any passes and kicks...it was like watching the game through a tunnel and i count that as the worst football watching experience i have ever had (and i went to countless double and triple headers in the old astrodome), their only saving grace was the tvs they put up so you atleast could see the scoreboard on them to know time, score, down and distance plus watch replays of stuff you couldn't see that well...but when i go to a football game i don't want to watch it on a tv, if i wanted that i would stay at home...

hopefully this time i have a better experience...one thing they do have going for them is being right by the riverwalk, thats a nice addition to anyone vacationing in san antonio for a trip to a ball game...

pirate4state
12-21-2011, 02:50 PM
Sahen - I hear you about the seating. It sucks when they don't have all the levels open! I've been stuck in some pretty crappy seating!

There was a lot of confusion at Jerry World with where we could and could not access on Day 3, but it eventually opened up (3rd level) and everyone was on the same page.

You just need to exercise some patience and trust me when I say that I'm not a very patient person, but I've actually seen some folks that are even more short tempered than I am!!! :eek: :eek: