PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to refugio

south texas
12-16-2011, 03:44 PM
hard to believe this is the 1st state championship since 1982 in the coastal bend. there has been a lot of good teams since then. great job bobcats and way to play your hearts out cisco. yall battled to the end.

stxfan
12-16-2011, 06:42 PM
Probably good kids and congratulations to them. But I was with the thousands of others that wanted that *** of a coach to lose.

OldNavy
12-16-2011, 06:55 PM
Probably good kids and congratulations to them. But I was with the thousands of others that wanted that *** of a coach to lose.

The coach said he was leaving his starters in longer at least through the 3rd quarter of games they had in hand so they would be ready for a tough game in the playoffs. Looks like he may have known what he was talking about. Close game and hanging on to win by one. Yes, he ran up the score some that way, but they won a close game for the state championship.

defense51
12-16-2011, 07:00 PM
Congratulations Refugio, great season. Congratulations to Cisco also.

SintonFan
12-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Congratulations to Refugio!!!

Sorry about the loss Cisco. You guys had one heckova team.

stxfan
12-16-2011, 09:34 PM
The coach said he was leaving his starters in longer at least through the 3rd quarter of games they had in hand so they would be ready for a tough game in the playoffs. Looks like he may have known what he was talking about. Close game and hanging on to win by one. Yes, he ran up the score some that way, but they won a close game for the state championship.

He can hide behind that bs logic all he wants. I guess that justifies him to be a jerk. There is NO logical reason for him being the clown he was this year. Nice that the fraud cries on tv and talks about it being all about the kids and not about him. BS. He is nothing more than a self serving, self absorbed prima donna.

Again, congrats to the kids. To ###*** with the so called coach!

Ernest T Bass
12-16-2011, 09:41 PM
As a coach, my responsibility is to MY kids and MY kids only. I have no responsibility to the opposing team. We ran a fake punt this year, up 44-6. Why? B/c we needed to practice it in a game situation and you can't simulate that in practice, but you also don't want the first time you run it to be the first time you need it. We caught some flack for it, but we're responsible for putting OUR kids in the best position to be successful.

stxfan
12-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Oh please, Bass. Get off your high horse. A fake punt or a small number of plays when up by a lot, I can see. But, collectively, over the entire season, you cannot justify his actions! Let him cry on tv and act the pitiful, woe is me roll. Again, arrogant, self serving ***### clown.

Ernest T Bass
12-16-2011, 10:09 PM
I dont see where he needs to justify anything. His responsibility is to Refugio, not anyone else. Im assuming you got your ass whipped by the Bobcats this year. Ive been there before. Got beat 68-0 once, and their last play was a reverse option that went for 52 yards. We had the last possesion, and they blitzed all 4 downs. After the game, I stomped across the field, ready to give that bastard a piece of my mind. When I got there, he said two words; "Get Better". And we did.
So, instead of crying about it, get better.

stxfan
12-16-2011, 10:15 PM
The least he could do is grow some and admit his self serving pompous arrogance. Instead, he hides behind the kids. Crocodile tears, bass. All about him.

Eagle 1
12-16-2011, 11:41 PM
hard to believe this is the 1st state championship since 1982 in the coastal bend. there has been a lot of good teams since then. great job bobcats and way to play your hearts out cisco. yall battled to the end.

Is Shiner in the coastal bend?

What goes around comes around. He will be on the receiving end one day. http://oi42.tinypic.com/ftf2na.jpg

29-3aFAN
12-17-2011, 02:33 AM
The coach said he was leaving his starters in longer at least through the 3rd quarter of games they had in hand so they would be ready for a tough game in the playoffs. Looks like he may have known what he was talking about. Close game and hanging on to win by one. Yes, he ran up the score some that way, but they won a close game for the state championship.+1.....

south texas
12-17-2011, 03:09 AM
He can hide behind that bs logic all he wants. I guess that justifies him to be a jerk. There is NO logical reason for him being the clown he was this year. Nice that the fraud cries on tv and talks about it being all about the kids and not about him. BS. He is nothing more than a self serving, self absorbed prima donna.

come on now. this is not a new coach or just some guy coming in trying to bully. this is a head coach who already had a ring and had been successful for a couple of years in ref and the end result was not a state title. it is hard to find teams to compete against these elite teams in south texas and you can make your team suffer by not getting them fully prepared only to see your team suffer later. i think by not doing what is right by his team he is hurting his team so i was glad to see Herring do what he did, took alot of heat and will for a long time. but he did it the right way, went to admin and told them his plan, they agree and here we are talking about a SC. quite worrying about how bad you got beat because it dont matter if it was by 1 or by 90 it all stinks. like etb said, get better, thats all you can do. once again great job both teams

south texas
12-17-2011, 03:42 AM
come on now. this is not a new coach or just some guy coming in trying to bully. this is a head coach who already had a ring and had been successful for a couple of years in ref and the end result was not a state title. it is hard to find teams to compete against these elite teams in south texas and you can make your team suffer by not getting them fully prepared only to see your team suffer later. i think by not doing what is right by his team he is hurting his team so i was glad to see Herring do what he did, took alot of heat and will for a long time. but he did it the right way, went to admin and told them his plan, they agree and here we are talking about a SC. quit worrying about how bad you got beat because it dont matter if it was by 1 or by 90 it all stinks. like etb said, get better, thats all you can do. once again great job both teams

SintonFan_inAustin
12-17-2011, 11:11 AM
As a coach, my responsibility is to MY kids and MY kids only. I have no responsibility to the opposing team. We ran a fake punt this year, up 44-6. Why? B/c we needed to practice it in a game situation and you can't simulate that in practice, but you also don't want the first time you run it to be the first time you need it. We caught some flack for it, but we're responsible for putting OUR kids in the best position to be successful.There is nothing wrong with that or the way Refugio coach kept his players in there as he was preparing them to be able to play a full game. The only problem that i think most people had with his way of coaching this season was the last minute or seconds of a game.

stxfan
12-17-2011, 11:19 AM
There is nothing wrong with that or the way Refugio coach kept his players in there as he was preparing them to be able to play a full game. The only problem that i think most people had with his way of coaching this season was the last minute or seconds of a game.

Yep. But, SintonFan, you really gotta hand it to him. With less than a minute, he milked the clock. Really impressive as he pulled it off without ever practicing that strategy.

OldNavy
12-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Yep. But, SintonFan, you really gotta hand it to him. With less than a minute, he milked the clock. Really impressive as he pulled it off without ever practicing that strategy.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, but are you suggesting that in this ballgame he didn't want to score in the last few minutes of the game?

Milking the clock, really?

It sounded like Cisco was applying lots of pressure and Refugio was doing all they could to pull out the win. It sounded like a well played and well coached game by both teams and Refugio survived the onslaught.

Your experience may be different, but mine has been that self serving, pompous, arrogant, self absorbed, prima donnas don't make good leaders of young men.
It seems obvious from your post, that you would be reluctant to follow such a person. Perhaps there is some credit due him and the success of his team other than the coach being one supremely lucky individual.

slingshot
12-17-2011, 02:24 PM
As long as they win... he's a hero. Once the talent drops off (and it always does at 2A) and a couple of losing seasons ensue he will be shown the door. He is just a sign of our times--complete ass-clown, totally focused on himself and his team, no regard whatsoever for his opponents or anyone else. Welcome to the new millenia of (lack of) sportsmanship.

sinton66
12-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Sounds like some very sore losers in this thread. I'm certain the man did what he did for the exact reasons he gave and don't blame one bit. Don't like getting ripped? Get better or find a different job, bottom line. CONGRATS BOBCATS!!!!

sinfan75
12-17-2011, 03:06 PM
As long as they win... he's a hero. Once the talent drops off (and it always does at 2A) and a couple of losing seasons ensue he will be shown the door. He is just a sign of our times--complete ass-clown, totally focused on himself and his team, no regard whatsoever for his opponents or anyone else. Welcome to the new millenia of (lack of) sportsmanship.Not in the near future. All refugio teams from 7th grade to varsity went unbeaten this year.

lbjacj
12-17-2011, 03:22 PM
Sounds like some very sore losers in this thread. I'm certain the man did what he did for the exact reasons he gave and don't blame one bit. Don't like getting ripped? Get better or find a different job, bottom line. CONGRATS BOBCATS!!!!

This!

Tejastrue
12-17-2011, 03:39 PM

This!

+1

Congrats Refugio :clap:

ExScoop
12-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Was pulling for Cisco-Not a big Refugio fan but congrats for the Bobcats winning

stxfan
12-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Tejas and lbj, congratulations to your Texans on another state title. Wimberley has a program from the top down that is awesome to watch year after year.

sinton66
12-17-2011, 05:04 PM
Not in the near future. All refugio teams from 7th grade to varsity went unbeaten this year.

Not only that, but as far back as I can remember (and that's a loooooong time), Refugio has always had talent and good coaches. My first cousin, James Walter Knox was head coach at Refugio for many years. Yall can say what you want about their current coach, but you have to admit, his strategy worked. They have the trophy to prove it.

VWG
12-17-2011, 08:33 PM
"Get better".... C'mon man. How about "win with class".
73-0, 74-0, 91-6, 82-6 were 4 of their scores this season.
Congrats on the state title, great accomplishment....but 91-6, 82-6? So it's ok to just keep burying a team into submission no matter how bad they are? Is that what you're saying?

Ernest T Bass
12-17-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm saying that as a coach, I couldn't give a damn how the other team feels about anything. If I feel that scoring 91 points a game will help make my team better, I'll do it and I won't lose one minute of sleep worrying about the team we just beat. If you can't handle the beating, either get better or quit playing football.

Saggy Aggie
12-17-2011, 08:45 PM
Being a nice guy got his last 3 #1 ranked teams knocked out. This year he played his starters for 3 qtrs and a running clock in the 2nd half in 7 games I think. The only thing I disagree with is the few times Refugio scored as the time ran out when they could've taken a knee to end the game. I think that's just bad sportsmanship. However many points up to that point.... Oh well.

He did what he had to do this year to prepare his team as best he could to win state. If they had lost, I could see scoring all those points in vain, but they won. His method worked and therefor I can't blame him. Congrats to the bobcats and better luck next year to the teams who got their feelings hurt.

stxfan
12-17-2011, 08:56 PM
bass... That last play 52 yard reverse option may have been all on you. Plenty of HCs out there who win with class. Start with Wimberley. Heck of a program and a classy coach.

1st and goal
12-17-2011, 09:04 PM
I can think that most any team could/should practice last minute clock management drives to get better. Especially if there is a chance that said team will be in the playoffs.

I wish our team had been better at clock management in a few games.

I guess everyone who is whining about it considers Big Sandy and all the other high scoring teams of the past, pieces of crap. About 3 years ago or so, we played Liberty Hill preseason in their stadium. It was their "down" year and I think the score ended up being 25-0 Buffs winning. We had attempted a bomb in the 4th quarter (one of maybe 2 passes a game at the time), and we caught so much flak on this board about bad sportsmanship from the LH bunch for even attempting it.

Ernest T Bass
12-17-2011, 09:11 PM
bass... That last play 52 yard reverse option may have been all on you. Plenty of HCs out there who win with class. Start with Wimberley. Heck of a program and a classy coach.

Of course it was all on us. We didn't stop it. Just like Freer didn't stop Refugio from scoring 91 points. When you stop trying to score, we'll stop trying to score too. Until then, you'd better fight your ass off for 48 minutes, and either get better or stop playing football.

stxfan
12-17-2011, 10:00 PM
bass, bass, settle down. Just saying there are many, many classy coaches out there who win. At the next coach's convention, pick their brains. They're great guys.

Ernest T Bass
12-17-2011, 10:13 PM
And you'll find lots of coaches who have lost to those guys who will complain about them. Class is a very relative term. The bottom is line is take care of YOUR kids and try to keep the kids on both sides safe.

Txbroadcaster
12-17-2011, 10:21 PM
I will never understand the butt hurt of running up the score..if a team is losing 56-6 and still trying to score, why does the team ahead have to quit trying and play nice?

Ernest T Bass
12-17-2011, 10:32 PM
I will never understand the butt hurt of running up the score..if a team is losing 56-6 and still trying to score, why does the team ahead have to quit trying and play nice?

B/c if you dont, you'll hurt people's feelings and they'll talk bad about you on message boards.

SintonFan
12-18-2011, 12:13 AM

I can't disagree with you more on this. How can you describe this coach as prima donna without knowing him? Just because the level of competition is lower in 2A around here, is he really running up the score?
You know he decided to GIVE two points to Cisco to gain eight yards and a better opportunity to punt the ball with about four minutes left in the state championship game. That took alot of balls, and cemented imho, his claim that he was doing whatever it took to make sure his TEAM won state. To trust his defense like that when Cisco had ALL the momentum at the end of the game was fearless coaching. Not because he was a prima donna, but because he wanted HIS team to win. Congratulations to him and his team on the awesome win. :)

cowboyandchrist
12-18-2011, 12:23 AM
I dont see where he needs to justify anything. His responsibility is to Refugio, not anyone else. Im assuming you got your ass whipped by the Bobcats this year. Ive been there before. Got beat 68-0 once, and their last play was a reverse option that went for 52 yards. We had the last possesion, and they blitzed all 4 downs. After the game, I stomped across the field, ready to give that bastard a piece of my mind. When I got there, he said two words; "Get Better". And we did.
So, instead of crying about it, get better.
He can play up in non district and get all the practice he wants. They did not look that good to me. Heck 1a Tenaha would have spanked them like a red headed step child.
There is no reason on this earth good enough to be up by 50 and run a fake punt. You believe that thier is , I hope one day you have a kid on the loosing end and come here and say that.

Ernest T Bass
12-18-2011, 12:40 AM
He can play up in non district and get all the practice he wants. They did not look that good to me. Heck 1a Tenaha would have spanked them like a red headed step child.
There is no reason on this earth good enough to be up by 50 and run a fake punt. You believe that thier is , I hope one day you have a kid on the loosing end and come here and say that.

Your reading comprehension skills must be lacking. Ive been on the LOSING end many times. Ive had the score ran up on me a time or two, as well. Best advice I was ever given in the face of that was, get better.
Like I said, I coudn't care less about the other team. My concern is MY team. If Jason Herring isn't successful at Refugio, he'll be fired, no matter how much of a good guy he is to the other teams. So, to hell with the other teams, do what you need to do to put your team in the best position to be successful. My motto is, no quarter; none given, none expected. If I can beat your ass by 70, you'd better believe Im going to do it, and I expect you to do the same.

cowboyandchrist
12-18-2011, 02:58 AM
Your reading comprehension skills must be lacking. Ive been on the LOSING end many times. Ive had the score ran up on me a time or two, as well. Best advice I was ever given in the face of that was, get better.
Like I said, I coudn't care less about the other team. My concern is MY team. If Jason Herring isn't successful at Refugio, he'll be fired, no matter how much of a good guy he is to the other teams. So, to hell with the other teams, do what you need to do to put your team in the best position to be successful. My motto is, no quarter; none given, none expected. If I can beat your ass by 70, you'd better believe Im going to do it, and I expect you to do the same.
I feel sorry for you, I would not want my kids playing for someone like that. I played at Carthage, you ever heard of them. I think coach S has a pretty good record and he would never run the score up on a team he had down 60 to 0 by half time. But he is not afraid to play a very tuff non district schedule either and then go into the district of doom. Next time a team beats your kids 90 to 0 let us know how you feel.

sinton66
12-18-2011, 08:30 AM
I feel sorry for you, I would not want my kids playing for someone like that. I played at Carthage, you ever heard of them. I think coach S has a pretty good record and he would never run the score up on a team he had down 60 to 0 by half time. But he is not afraid to play a very tuff non district schedule either and then go into the district of doom. Next time a team beats your kids 90 to 0 let us know how you feel.

You don't understand Herring's predicament. He doesn't have a "district of doom" to prepare his kids for the playoffs in. He's in the absolute weakest 2A district in the state. He tried it the other way and it didn't work for him. It worked out exactly the way several on here were saying it would work out this year. They got beat in the second or third round of the playoffs. He changed his "approach" and it got them a State Championship. Looks to me like he knew what he was talking about. Crying "foul" now isn't going to change that.

stxfan
12-18-2011, 10:31 AM
ernie ........... Many, many coaches out there who have many 10-win seasons, several titles -- including state -- who don't roll the score with starters in at the end. Hill at Smithson Valley, Rutledge and Rackley at Judson, Nelms at Wimberley. Sinton's Gene Kasprzyk is the definition of class. Look at his record. Year after year with titles. And he doesn't have to do it by 10 running with his starters.

bass ....... Maybe if you coached your kids better, you wouldn't have to call a fake punt at the end when up by 40, in order to be successful.

Ernest T Bass
12-18-2011, 11:25 AM
bass ....... Maybe if you coached your kids better, you wouldn't have to call a fake punt at the end when up by 40, in order to be successful.

So, being up by 40 in the 3rd quarter isn't successful? South Texas is a weird place.
Honestly, we were facing a similar situation this year as Refugio. We played an extremely tough non district schedule, but our district was VERY weak. So, we had to do similar things. It also didn't help that we really dont have backups to begin with, just starters that play other positions as well. It got us to the semifinals for the first time in 12 years, so I'd say it worked for us as well.

SintonFan_inAustin
12-18-2011, 12:21 PM
You don't understand Herring's predicament. He doesn't have a "district of doom" to prepare his kids for the playoffs in. He's in the absolute weakest 2A district in the state. He tried it the other way and it didn't work for him. It worked out exactly the way several on here were saying it would work out this year. They got beat in the second or third round of the playoffs. He changed his "approach" and it got them a State Championship. Looks to me like he knew what he was talking about. Crying "foul" now isn't going to change that.Imo the losses last two years wasn't because they ddin't play more than a half by the starters it came down to the team that beat them was better and this season it was the other way around, Refugio was better. Bottom line Refugio was better this year than last few years. I can agree with playing your starters when the winner of the game has already been determine. It gives the opportunity to practice on certain plays or schemes but last second tds i agree with the ones that don't like that part of the game and glad Sinton coaches few times could of added another late td but just killed the clock insitead.

VWG
12-18-2011, 03:04 PM
I know a coach in NTX who has won state titles, been in the playoffs consistently throughout the past 10 years, yet I have seen him go up by 4-5 TD's and pull the starters. He runs base plays, basically no passing to speak of. He's trying to get other kids PT and make sure the starters don't get any injuries by being left in the game.
Final scores are generally the same, he's on top by 4, 5, or 6 TD's.
What some are saying, is instead of doing this, keep the starters in and just break one off in the other team even more so than what has already been done. Sorry, but in my opinion that's the X-Box generation of coaches coming out these days.
And by the way, this is a 1A school, so it's not like they have a ton of kids on the sideline.
You ever go into a game knowing that before the opening kickoff that you're gonna whip their a$$? Get the starters reps, make sure they're sharp, and then once you're up with a comfortable lead get some other kids some PT. Crap, don't those kids deserve it? They went through two-a-days just like the starters. They showed up for practice, off season, etc... just like the starters. How does that kid feel when Coach X-Box leaves him on the bench when he goes up by 50? And you're in it for the team? The kids?
Or, are you in it for the 1st team only?

sinton66
12-18-2011, 04:17 PM
I find it funny that this sort of thing happens in six man all the time yet no one jumps on those coaches. I think some of you on here are just pissed that he proved you wrong.

south texas
12-18-2011, 04:33 PM
I find it funny that this sort of thing happens in six man all the time yet no one jumps on those coaches. I think some of you on here are just pissed that he proved you wrong.

i agree

VWG
12-18-2011, 05:22 PM
6 Man?

45 pt. mercy rule after halftime

I don't get the argument there......

sinton66
12-18-2011, 05:36 PM
6 Man?

45 pt. mercy rule after halftime

I don't get the argument there......
I may have been around longer than you. I remember a bunch of high scores in six man. This "mercy" rule may be more recent than my memory. My whole point here is I have to give the man some credit for recognizing what his team needed to get them over the hump and having the courage to take the heat and put it in place. Just a few weeks ago there were some on here saying that Refugio would get beat in the playoffs "as usual". Their coach did something "unusual" and he was proven right. I can't fault him for this.

hsbtex
12-18-2011, 05:44 PM
I watched this game before ours and it was one of the best high school games i have seen since the Brownwood/Carthage game last year. I feel for Cisco. 4 trips to the state championship game in ten years and still can't win one. They were the better team too, but their mistakes and some questionable coaching decisions cost them. I was hoping Cisco would win, with the way Refugio's coach was running up the score this year. I would recommend him scheduling a classifiaction up in the future for non district. That's what we do over here. Hopefully Cisco gets there's next year.

YTBulldogs
12-18-2011, 11:42 PM
I watched this game before ours and it was one of the best high school games i have seen since the Brownwood/Carthage game last year. I feel for Cisco. 4 trips to the state championship game in ten years and still can't win one. They were the better team too, but their mistakes and some questionable coaching decisions cost them. I was hoping Cisco would win, with the way Refugio's coach was running up the score this year. I would recommend him scheduling a classifiaction up in the future for non district. That's what we do over here. Hopefully Cisco gets there's next year.

I agree. They might have to travel a ways to get that tougher ND contest, but---it beats drumming someone 100-0.

south texas
12-19-2011, 01:53 AM
I agree. They might have to travel a ways to get that tougher ND contest, but---it beats drumming someone 100-0.

they should schedule tougher ND opponents but in a district with 8 teams you only play three. rice is a good way to open up the season, then hallettsville who made it to the 3rd round of the playoffs and then robstown who last year was a playoff team who just had a really bad year this year. all the 70's came in district play so its not like they play a terribly weak ND.

hsbtex
12-19-2011, 07:15 AM
A tougher non district schedule will make them better. And you can get all of the reps in you need at 45 to 0. It's not like they have a three deep roster...they are 2a. I was hoping Cisco was going to show that coach what is like to be on the receiving end of an a$$ whipping...they just made too many mistakes. Cisco's O-line pushed them around all game.

Ernest T Bass
12-19-2011, 11:06 AM
A tougher non district schedule will make them better. And you can get all of the reps in you need at 45 to 0. It's not like they have a three deep roster...they are 2a. I was hoping Cisco was going to show that coach what is like to be on the receiving end of an a$$ whipping...they just made too many mistakes. Cisco's O-line pushed them around all game.

Their nondistrict schedule was made up of 3 playoff teams from the prior year, 2 of which were legitimate state championshp contenders. Down south, it's hard to find competition without major travel or playing up 2 classes(which I would never recomend for anyone). Besides, you'd better find a way to be much better in week 11 than you were in week 3, and that doesn't happen with your starters playing 2 quarters a game.
Besides, his last few years at Sonora, he was on the receiving end of a few, and he took a few at Wall too. I personally know Jason Herring. Im not a fan of his as a person. But, I can't fault him at all for what he's done this year.

hsbtex
12-19-2011, 11:48 AM
They were playoff teams (legitimate contenders) in 3a? And you can get reps in for your starters, for four quarters, and do so without putting the ball in the end zone. That is winning with class.

Ernest T Bass
12-19-2011, 11:59 AM
And you can get reps in for your starters, for four quarters, and do so without putting the ball in the end zone. That is winning with class.
One was 3a and the other 2 were 2a. Not many legit contenders in that part of the state, and you gotta get the other team to agree to play you as well. Filling a schedule when you're that good is tough to do. Hell, even LT had to make a 3 1/2 hour trip to fill their schedule, and there are some quality teams in their area.
Not getting much better by simply running zones and ISOs for 2 quarters straight. Even then, they're gonna score about every 5 plays or so. That district is WEAK! We faced the same delemma this year. We weren't as far ahead of the rest of our district as Refugio was, but we weren't going to face much competition there.

south texas
12-19-2011, 12:28 PM
"They were playoff teams (legitimate contenders) in 3a? And you can get reps in for your starters, for four quarters, and do so without putting the ball in the end zone. That is winning with class."

starters for 4 quarters? and get reps without putting it in the end zone? not sure what you mean by that. i think the teams that refugio beat will look back years from now and be happy to say they played a team down here that went on to win state? doesnt happen too often around here

DeuceDeuce
12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
I love all the win at all costs coaches on this board...this is High School Football, there are no scholarships, coaches coach the kids they have, and yes some places have more talent than others and there is no coach in the world that can change that.

In Pro Sports when an athlete says it isn't about the money....it's always about the money!!!

When a high school coach says it's always about the kids.....it's NEVER about the kids!!!

There are alot of lessons High School Coaches should be teaching young men, and winning is not at the top of the list.

Would never let my son play for someone like this...embarrasment to the profession and to his community!!!

south texas
12-19-2011, 12:33 PM
I love all the win at all costs coaches on this board...this is High School Football, there are no scholarships, coaches coach the kids they have, and yes some places have more talent than others and there is no coach in the world that can change that.

In Pro Sports when an athlete says it isn't about the money....it's always about the money!!!

When a high school coach says it's always about the kids.....it's NEVER about the kids!!!

There are alot of lessons High School Coaches should be teaching young men, and winning is not at the top of the list.

Would never let my son play for someone like this...embarrasment to the profession and to his community!!!

its not win at all cost, its just those kids have worked that hard and they deserve to get better every week and that is hard to do in 20qrts over 10 weeks compared to 30 or 40. and it is all about the kids to Herring, the refugio kids though, not the other kids, thats the other coaches job, to prepare their team. and that community didnt look too embarrassed when that team came home with the trophy

DeuceDeuce
12-19-2011, 12:43 PM
its not win at all cost, its just those kids have worked that hard and they deserve to get better every week and that is hard to do in 20qrts over 10 weeks compared to 30 or 40. and it is all about the kids to Herring, the refugio kids though, not the other kids, thats the other coaches job, to prepare their team. and that community didnt look too embarrassed when that team came home with the trophy

Your right...you won the trophy, you are the best.

"and it is all about the kids, the refugio kids though, not the other kids" ....Classy statement!

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I thought giving up the safety was a bad call by Herring. Some claim it was a great call by him. Had the kid not fair caught the KO (punt) following the safety, it might have cost Refugio IMO. Kid had 20 yards of clearness, yet--fair caught it.

south texas
12-19-2011, 12:54 PM
Your right...you won the trophy, you are the best.

"and it is all about the kids, the refugio kids though, not the other kids" ....Classy statement!

yup and you forgot about "To Herring". thats his responsibility and ultimately its his fault if they lose. took a risk and it paid off.

hollywood
12-19-2011, 12:56 PM

+1

My thoughts as well! Both teams were good, but it was also good to see Refugio have to play their best game of the year to get it. A few breaks here and there and that game could have gone the other way.

Here's the thing.. Herring said it was for the kids.. I believe him.. but it was also for him and his career to get more $$ at a larger school in the future. And that's okay but don't say it was just for the kids. It was for the whole community.

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 01:07 PM
+1

My thoughts as well! Both teams were good, but it was also good to see Refugio have to play their best game of the year to get it. A few breaks here and there and that game could have gone the other way.

Here's the thing.. Herring said it was for the kids.. I believe him.. but it was also for him and his career to get more $$ at a larger school in the future. And that's okay but don't say it was just for the kids. It was for the whole community.

I have heard from some pretty reliable Cuero folks, Herring's name is being mentioned for the Cuero gig. Also, the Schulenburg coaches name. And, of course Coach Finley.

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 01:17 PM
I have heard from some pretty reliable Cuero folks, Herring's name is being mentioned for the Cuero gig. Also, the Schulenburg coaches name. And, of course Coach Finley.

Might add, they mentioned they could get Finley like they did Reeve a few years back. Cheaper then the others mentioned cause of double dipping. Right or not, just what they mentioned to me this weekend. Makes sense I guess. Finley can retire, then get a new job and draw two checks.

OldNavy
12-19-2011, 01:28 PM

Teaching the lessions High School Coaches should be teaching young men is not about winning, but it results in winning! Physical and mental conditioning, teamwork, goal setting, strategic planning, giving great effort toward common goals, developing healthy habits and learning that the harder you work the more difficult it is to surrender (Coach Vince Lombardi).

I played years ago for a bad coach and a really good coach. The bad coach thought he was teaching us football. We didn't win much, the really good coach taught us that if we were in great shape, we would have fewer injuries. We got in fantastic shape, had many fewer injuries and we won. We went from 1-8-1 one year to 8-1-1 the next. I can tell you, winning is more fun. Being finely conditioned is fun, being successfuly as a team is fun. Beating teams no one thought you could beat is fun. Winning state championships is fun. For our great coach, who never emphasized winning, winning was the result. But, for the community, winning is important. If the kids don't win, the community looks for a new coach.

What I am hearing is if a coach figures out a way to win a State Championship, he is arrogant and self serving. If he doesn't the community will try and find a coach who can win with all the talent they have in their community. To the coach and the kids it may not be all about winning, but to the community that is how it is measured. I feel bad for the kids in a community that does not want to or expect to win, because they won't even look for the coach that can teach the kids the things they need to learn.

It is all about winning to the community, not to the coaches and the kids. But, a good coach teaches his kids the things they need to know about, and the result is, they win. The losing coaches find a new job or new profession.

south texas
12-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Might add, they mentioned they could get Finley like they did Reeve a few years back. Cheaper then the others mentioned cause of double dipping. Right or not, just what they mentioned to me this weekend. Makes sense I guess. Finley can retire, then get a new job and draw two checks.

makes sense to me too. might be a silly question but how does the upcoming crop look in cuero

south texas
12-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Teaching the lessions High School Coaches should be teaching young men is not about winning, but it results in winning! Physical and mental conditioning, teamwork, goal setting, strategic planning, giving great effort toward common goals, developing healthy habits and learning that the harder you work the more difficult it is to surrender (Coach Vince Lombardi).

I played years ago for a bad coach and a really good coach. The bad coach thought he was teaching us football. We didn't win much, the really good coach taught us that if we were in great shape, we would have fewer injuries. We got in fantastic shape, had many fewer injuries and we won. We went from 1-8-1 one year to 8-1-1 the next. I can tell you, winning is more fun. Being finely conditioned is fun, being successfuly as a team is fun. Beating teams no one thought you could beat is fun. Winning state championships is fun. For our great coach, who never emphasized winning, winning was the result. But, for the community, winning is important. If the kids don't win, the community looks for a new coach.

What I am hearing is if a coach figures out a way to win a State Championship, he is arrogant and self serving. If he doesn't the community will try and find a coach who can win with all the talent they have in their community. To the coach and the kids it may not be all about winning, but to the community that is how it is measured. I feel bad for the kids in a community that does not want to or expect to win, because they won't even look for the coach that can teach the kids the things they need to learn.

It is all about winning to the community, not to the coaches and the kids. But, a good coach teaches his kids the things they need to know about, and the result is, they win. The losing coaches find a new job or new profession.

well put ON

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 01:44 PM
makes sense to me too. might be a silly question but how does the upcoming crop look in cuero

They did mention, any coach would of struggled based on talent pool this year. Not sure why they want Owens out then. But, they do. Talent appears about what it was this year, for next unless they get some move ins.

DeuceDeuce
12-19-2011, 02:05 PM

There are State Championships won every year by coaches who do not feel the need to score 80 - 90 points. Winning the Championship does not justify that type of behavior.

It isn't a matter of IF you can score that much, it is more of a question of SHOULD you do that. I have no doubt that the Refugio players and coaches put in the time and effort to win. I just do not feel running up the score had any impact on their winning State.

Celina, Brownwood, SLC, LT, the list goes on and on of schools that win State without scoring 80-90 points.

I understand I am in the minority in thinking that their is a right and a wrong way to do things, regardless of the consequences.
Does their coach think that it is ok to cheat to win? What about Steriods? Recruiting? These are all moral questions that have to be asked. Most coaches would not score 90 points on an opposing team because they view it as being unsportsmanlike or unprofessional.

I guess my question is.. Where does he draw the line on what he is willing to do to win, he obviously pushes the envelope more than most coaches.

south texas
12-19-2011, 02:14 PM
There are State Championships won every year by coaches who do not feel the need to score 80 - 90 points. Winning the Championship does not justify that type of behavior.

It isn't a matter of IF you can score that much, it is more of a question of SHOULD you do that. I have no doubt that the Refugio players and coaches put in the time and effort to win. I just do not feel running up the score had any impact on their winning State.

Celina, Brownwood, SLC, LT, the list goes on and on of schools that win State without scoring 80-90 points.

I understand I am in the minority in thinking that their is a right and a wrong way to do things, regardless of the consequences.
Does their coach think that it is ok to cheat to win? What about Steriods? Recruiting? These are all moral questions that have to be asked. Most coaches would not score 90 points on an opposing team because they view it as being unsportsmanlike or unprofessional.

I guess my question is.. Where does he draw the line on what he is willing to do to win, he obviously pushes the envelope more than most coaches.

this is legit question to any coach. but just because his team scored a lot of points i dont think that makes him a bad person. he was just trying to do what he thought was right for his kids and believe me they needed every bit of prep for that cisco team. those other teams like celina, bwood, SLC, LT all have access to play very good talent teams locally. refugio doent have that and of course only played 3 ND games of which they were 3 good ND teams when they scheduled them for a 2a school to play.

DeuceDeuce
12-19-2011, 02:33 PM
this is legit question to any coach. but just because his team scored a lot of points i dont think that makes him a bad person. he was just trying to do what he thought was right for his kids and believe me they needed every bit of prep for that cisco team. those other teams like celina, bwood, SLC, LT all have access to play very good talent teams locally. refugio doent have that and of course only played 3 ND games of which they were 3 good ND teams when they scheduled them for a 2a school to play.

I would characterize what he did as being out of the norm for most High School Coaches. His actions during the course of the season are controversial. (Why else do you think ESPN was there) I understand his reasoning, I just do not agree with it.

hollywood
12-19-2011, 03:11 PM
I would like to see Refugio schedule Sinton, Liberty Hill, Cuero, Hondo, or heck, even Brownwood or Stephenville next pre season being that Stephenville drops. That would be an eye opener for them. ;)

nobogey72
12-19-2011, 03:48 PM

And, why is Brownwood mentioned with that list of teams?

DeuceDeuce
12-19-2011, 04:01 PM

7 State Titles maybe???

MGAR
12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
7 State Titles maybe???

Oh yea.. It's been what? 30 years since the last one?

toddg
12-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Oh yea.. It's been what? 30 years since the last one?

doesnt matter..7 titles is 7 titles..longview fans still hang their hat on 1 title from 1937...we here in alvarado have to envy LV cause we have exactly 0 :crying:

BwdLion73
12-19-2011, 04:22 PM
:dispntd:
And, why is Brownwood mentioned with that list of teams?:taunt:

raider red 2000
12-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Herring isn't going to Cuero. For the immediate future, Refugio is better a better job. Cuero may pay better. Herring has a good set up in Refugio. Chance to win for a while, 15 min from the water to fish, wife has a good job with the school.

As far as scheduling, there have been numerous threads of who wants to and who won't play Refugio.

29-3aFAN
12-19-2011, 05:08 PM
I seen where Herring wanted to play Calallen. Hopefully goes down.

29-3aFAN
12-19-2011, 05:10 PM
I thought giving up the safety was a bad call by Herring. Some claim it was a great call by him. Had the kid not fair caught the KO (punt) following the safety, it might have cost Refugio IMO. Kid had 20 yards of clearness, yet--fair caught it.I was watching on TV and he ran up to catch it and his knee touched the ground. They did lose out on about 20 yards

raider red 2000
12-19-2011, 05:28 PM
I seen where Herring wanted to play Calallen. Hopefully goes down.

That game isn't happening. Neither coach wants it. The story was made up by the news people trying to increase ratings and get more people on their facebook page.

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 05:38 PM
doesnt matter..7 titles is 7 titles..longview fans still hang their hat on 1 title from 1937...we here in alvarado have to envy LV cause we have exactly 0 :crying:

I hear ya toddg. Yoakum did play for state one year in football. Like in 1952 and got drummed by Terrell. But, we made the show once I proudly point out. :)

We drove around ya'lls campus on the way home Saturday from state. Nice school and the community seemed nice as well.

Maroon87
12-19-2011, 05:42 PM
That game isn't happening. Neither coach wants it. The story was made up by the news people trying to increase ratings and get more people on their facebook page.
And they still continue to stir things up...they posted some stats on Facebook the other night comparing Refugio to Lake Travis over the last 5 years. One of the most preposterous things I've ever seen.

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
I'd love to play them even if they might beat us. We always schedule a 2A team or two each re-alignment anyways. Why not get the best 2A one. Maybe they can work it out?

MGAR
12-19-2011, 05:53 PM
And they still continue to stir things up...they posted some stats on Facebook the other night comparing Refugio to Lake Travis over the last 5 years. One of the most preposterous things I've ever seen.

5 > 1

Roughneck93
12-19-2011, 06:01 PM
And they still continue to stir things up...they posted some stats on Facebook the other night comparing Refugio to Lake Travis over the last 5 years. One of the most preposterous things I've ever seen.:eek: :eek:

Maroon87
12-19-2011, 06:06 PM
:eek: :eek:

I should point out that no one from Refugio made that post...as raider red said it was one of the TV stations in CC trying to raise viewership and Facebook traffic, and stopping at nothing to achieve both.

Roughneck93
12-19-2011, 06:10 PM
I should point out that no one from Refugio made that post...as raider red said it was one of the TV stations in CC trying to raise viewership and Facebook traffic, and stopping at nothing to achieve both.Yeah I took it as it being the media just stirring things up.

YTBulldogs
12-19-2011, 06:12 PM
Yeah I took it as it being the media just stirring things up.

Several of their fan's believe they can though.

hollywood
12-19-2011, 06:13 PM

LOL... maybe because they have one of the most tradition rich programs in the state and maybe the country??

raider red 2000
12-19-2011, 06:51 PM
I think the lake travis/ refugio comparison had more to do with the over all records in 5 years since herring has been in Refugio, they have only lost 4 games.

Refugio does have their fair share of crazies that think that the bobcats could take out any team in the state.

hsbtex
12-19-2011, 09:15 PM
Laughing...Hollywood, I agree. I would love to see Refugio play Brownwood or Stephenville. We could show them what 190 to 0 feels like if they wanted to drive to Lakeway...
I was pulling for Cisco, I played there a year in college. And for Refugio fans to be talking crap, when they were pushed all over the field by a 2a program, is hysterical. Also, not sure why so many people hate on Brownwood on here. I WISH LT had the history and tradition of Brownwood.

ETB, yes, we drove 3.5 hours for a non district game. We wanted a rematch with Aledo this year :) I think the score speaks for itself... Who was in your district...I don't remember?

And South Texas, what I was referring to was if you have to leave the starters in four four quarters because the competition is THAT BAD in district, players can be instructed to not score by the coach. Run out of bounds on a breakaway, or heaven for bid take a knee on the three yard line. To me that would define class...knowing that you are that much better but choose not to demoralize some 16 to 18 year olds. Maybe Refugio will call on Brownwood or Stephenville for a non district game. I would love to see that :)

Ernest T Bass
12-19-2011, 09:51 PM
ETB, yes, we drove 3.5 hours for a non district game. We wanted a rematch with Aledo this year :) I think the score speaks for itself... Who was in your district...I don't remember?

And South Texas, what I was referring to was if you have to leave the starters in four four quarters because the competition is THAT BAD in district, players can be instructed to not score by the coach. Run out of bounds on a breakaway, or heaven for bid take a knee on the three yard line. To me that would define class...knowing that you are that much better but choose not to demoralize some 16 to 18 year olds. Maybe Refugio will call on Brownwood or Stephenville for a non district game. I would love to see that :)

Was simply pointing out how far you had to go to find competition that would make your team better. Yes, our district was weak(just like Refugio). That's why we played Desoto, Lufkin, and Longview in nondistrict. In district, we did what we had to do to make sure our kids got better throughout the season(just like Refugio). The suggestions you made at the end of your post are exactly what Refugio has done in the past; and that has got them knocked out in the quarterfinals or the semifinals every year. So, this year he changed it, and the proof is in the proverbial pudding. They're not going to go to Brownwood or Stephenville b/c they can't afford to travel that far for a nondistrict game. That's stupid. They may call Sinton, or Mathis, or Cuero, and assuming they agree to play Refugio, they may play them.
You've never coached, have you?

sinton66
12-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Laughing...Hollywood, I agree. I would love to see Refugio play Brownwood or Stephenville. We could show them what 190 to 0 feels like if they wanted to drive to Lakeway...
I was pulling for Cisco, I played there a year in college. And for Refugio fans to be talking crap, when they were pushed all over the field by a 2a program, is hysterical. Also, not sure why so many people hate on Brownwood on here. I WISH LT had the history and tradition of Brownwood.

Heck, why not kneel the ball three times and punt? I know which one I would find more insulting, but maybe that's just me.

BwdLion73
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
:thinking:
Heck, why not kneel the ball three times and punt? I know which one I would find more insulting, but maybe that's just me.

Hey Sinton66 may be on to something. If DEFENSE wins championships as all the experts on here say....how about getting your defense prepared to play a tough 4 quarter game. Keep punting the ball and make your defense work.:thinking:

44INAROW
12-22-2011, 09:55 AM
Article in today's (12/22/11) Victoria Advocate

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/2011/dec/21/mf_onsports_122211_162298/

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2011, 10:02 AM
I still dont understand why scoring decides how classy a team is....If a team scores with 5 minuts left they are more classy than a team who scores with a minute left?

raider red 2000
12-22-2011, 10:26 AM

People will read this and still think he is evil.

I have said it in the past and will say it again, I hope my son gets to play for coach Herring some day. There are too many positives to list.

1st and goal
12-22-2011, 10:46 AM

What a great article. I think if I was a coach, I'd read it out loud to my players at least once a week.

sinton66
12-22-2011, 11:30 AM
That's the coach Herring I've been trying to support here.

Ernest T Bass
12-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Self-serving and classless!

slingshot
12-22-2011, 03:01 PM
Doesn't matter how you (or he) paints it: 91-6, 82-6, 74-0, 73-0, etc is classless. Absolutely classless.

sinfan75
12-22-2011, 03:40 PM
Refugio 891 points
Aledo 886 points

looks like another team was running up the score also.

toddg
12-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Refugio 891 points
Aledo 886 points

looks like another team was running up the score also.

110 of those Aledo points were in loses.

south texas
12-22-2011, 04:01 PM

dont matter. all that matters is the points scored. i mean thats what defines classless right??

BEAST
12-22-2011, 04:05 PM

Imagine if JGray hadnt got booted from the playoff game against Ville. He would have scored at least once or maybe two more times.

BEAST

toddg
12-22-2011, 04:15 PM
dont matter. all that matters is the points scored. i mean thats what defines classless right??

i really dont know anything about the refugio coach....but i do know the Aledo coach, and he is class all the way.

slingshot
12-22-2011, 04:22 PM
dont matter. all that matters is the points scored. i mean thats what defines classless right??Nope. What matters is the point spread and intentionally running up the score to humiliate your opponents. Didn't see Aledo beating anyone 91-6... even though they probably could have.

Ernest T Bass
12-22-2011, 04:25 PM
i really dont know anything about the refugio coach....but i do know the Aledo coach, and he is class all the way.

No no no. You score that many points, you're classless. That's it. End of story! You have to be concerned about the other team's feelings, otherwise you're just classless!

YTBulldogs
12-22-2011, 04:32 PM
Maybe it's me? Herring is rude. Here is a article ran in today's Victoria paper.

http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/dec/21/mf_onsports_122211_162298/

ccmom
12-22-2011, 04:35 PM
Maybe it's me? Herring is rude. Here is a article ran in today's Victoria paper.

http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/dec/21/mf_onsports_122211_162298/You are a little late to the party, YT. :)

south texas
12-22-2011, 04:54 PM

http://www.advosports.com/news/2011/dec/21/mf_onsports_122211_162298/

not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but i dont see anything rude about it. great article about a great football program

regaleagle
12-22-2011, 06:13 PM
The Cisco/Refugio game was an excellent game between two high quality football schools. The difference was again some mistakes made that cost the Cisco team a possible title. I grew up in Goliad playing against the Refugio Bobcats, and can tell you they have much football tradition. Since when does trouncing your weaker opponents constitute "getting better" from a school rich in football tradition? Congrats to Refugio for an undefeated season and the championship. I just don't agree with the methods and theology behind the coaching. I saw the talent level of both teams, and they were equal. Refugio needs to incorporate better methods to "get better" in my opinion. They should have lost this game. Cisco was the better team.

stxfan
12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but i dont see anything rude about it. great article about a great football program

Sure. And when you take this lone article and read the numerous others with a very different angle, you get the picture.

Ernest T Bass
12-22-2011, 06:37 PM
Normally, I would say "this is why girls don't play football", but these are all "men" that I keep hearing(reading) whine and cry about big, mean Refugio hurting people's feelings. You dont like it, then don't let them score that much. The proof is in the proverbial pudding. Refugio finally got over the hump, with a sophomore QB, by making these changes.
Ive said it before, I've met Coach Herring many times and I don't like him. But he just led the Bobcats to their first state championship in 30 years. The proof is in the proverbial pudding. If you get your panties in a wad this easily, maybe you should take a Midol and look into adding field hockey to your school's extracurricular programs.

stxfan
12-22-2011, 07:49 PM
You know, bass. You kind of paint yourself as a real hardass. But I think that even you, crotchety ernie -- as competitive as you obviously are (and I really like that) -- wouldn't stoop to the depths as refugio's hc -- to win.

I believe your record has many, many W's. And you seem to be proud of a fake punt when up by 40 every now and then. But, when the dust settles, I'll bet you have a conscience and that even you, big bad bass, know how to win with class.

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2011, 07:52 PM
You know, bass. You kind of paint yourself as a real hardass. But I think that even you, crotchety ernie -- as competitive as you obviously are (and I really like that) -- wouldn't stoop to the depths as refugio's hc -- to win.

I believe your record has many, many W's. And you seem to be proud of a fake punt when up by 40 every now and then. But, when the dust settles, I'll bet you have a conscience and that even you, big bad bass, know how to win with class.

and yet no one has yet to explain how scoring points = less class..I just dont see how scoring 40 instead of 60 means more class

stxfan
12-22-2011, 07:56 PM
and yet no one has yet to explain how scoring points = less class..I just dont see how scoring 40 instead of 60 means more class

Are you really that obtuse?

raider red 2000
12-22-2011, 08:01 PM
If you struggle to win. Means you have class
If you lose by a little you have class.
If you win by too much you have no class......
So I guess if you get your teeth kicked in because your kids can't tackle, you must have lots of class.

:)

Txbroadcaster
12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
Are you really that obtuse?

no I am more orthogonal

Ernest T Bass
12-22-2011, 08:54 PM

Win with class? Always. But, if scoring 70+ a game on district opponents will give MY kids a better shot at a state championship, you'd better damned well believe Im gonna do it and I won't appologize for it! Was in a similar boat this year. We weren't as far ahead of the rest of our district as Refugio was, but we knew we were head and shoulders above our districtmates. So, we ended up scoring over 50 in every district game, included a 65-6 win. We knew we had to keep our kids sharp throughout district play if we wanted to make a run in the playoffs, so we never pulled up before the 4th quarter. I'd say it worked.

OldNavy
12-22-2011, 09:22 PM
no I am more orthogonal

Good to know, all this time I thought you were oblique!

I saw Prosper beat Collinsville 100 to nothing one night. Prosper had lost one game in district to a team that played an ineligable player. The district committee met and Collinsville broke the tie vote to forgive the school and let them keep their district championship and go to the playoffs. Prosper was angry with Collinsville and went with the objective to win 100-0, and they did. It was a very exciting game. That was a long time ago and no one said Prosper didn't have any class. Everyone was proud of Prosper's team. Of course, back then only one team went to the playoffs and us country folks didn't know anything about class.

stxfan
12-22-2011, 10:31 PM
bass, bass, try as you might, you are absolutely no herring.

Ernest T Bass
12-22-2011, 10:44 PM

Good to know. I dont like him (but he has two rings as a head coach, and I'm still working on my first). But I dont fault him for what he did this year. Running it up on someone for the sake of embarassing them is one thing. Trying to make your team better is another. Example: I went to Ennis High School. Our VERY hated rival is Waxahachie. We played them week 10, which was the last game ever to be played in our old home stadium. Up 48-0 with a little less than 3 minutes left, we scored on a long pass play(cant remember what it was) and then went for 2 to break the record for largest victory margin between the two schools. That kinda thing is classless(but in a rivalry that heated, it's a little different). That's not what Refugio did. Your starters playing 2 quarters for 6 weeks straight isn't going to make them any better,and trying not to score for 2 quarters a game doesn't help either. The man did what he felt he had to do to make sure his team got better every week. 16 wins later, it's hard to argue with it.
As for me, you don't know me from Adam. I could be tons worse than Skippy Herring(he hates to be called Skippy).

raider red 2000
12-22-2011, 10:46 PM
You are no herring either. Stay a fan, leave the coaching to the big boys.

Stay classy

stxfan
12-22-2011, 10:56 PM
Don't be fooled, boy, by the username.

raider red 2000
12-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Don't be fooled, boy, by the username.

I wish I had a snappy comeback, but I don't.
I guess a fan showed me.

Oh well I guess I should do the classy thing and send my ring to you since you got your feelings hurt.

south texas
12-23-2011, 01:09 AM
i can see how people can look at the scores and just think that he is running up the score. in fact that is not the case though, he even agrees to running clock. he simply did what he felt he needed in order to get his team a state title and they did that. if he really wanted to run up the score he would have left starters in longer or possibly tried to hit 100. much of the scoring in those blowouts were by backups or on defense and possibly even a backup on defense. scoring more or less doesnt determine classy or not. we have all seen classy and unclassy teams and i cant say i saw one thing unclassy from refugio

south texas
12-23-2011, 01:10 AM

wow! are you giving Herring props?

sinton66
12-23-2011, 11:16 AM
Screw all the nay-sayers. I'd take a "classless" STATE CHAMPIONSHIP every year. Actually in Sinton, I'd take one any year.

pirate4state
12-23-2011, 01:52 PM
yall are STILL :weeping: about this?!?! GET OVER IT!!!

Txbroadcaster
12-23-2011, 02:00 PM

but but but some teams are in therapy over being beat by 70

MUSTANG69
12-23-2011, 02:54 PM

A miracle! I actually agree with you. :eek:I have never heard such whining and crying.

toddg
12-23-2011, 03:05 PM
hey...a friend of a friend who's uncle has a cousin who's kid played for freer says that the kid still has nightmares about that Evil laugh he heard from the refugio sideline when lining up for yet another kickoff return!