PDA

View Full Version : Brownwood Jumbotron

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 04:31 PM
Is this story true Bwood folks?

http://www.empowertexans.com/features/praying-for-a-state-funded-jumbotron/

ccmom
12-14-2011, 04:37 PM
There was a story on the Abilene news last night but they basically just said Brownwood was "postponing" the project because they were not able to get the advertising commitments needed to cover the cost. The rest of the info in that link was not included.

Old Tiger
12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
I don't understand why 3a and under schools need video scoreboards.

Emerson1
12-14-2011, 04:39 PM
They need them no more and no less then a 4A or 5A school.

RoyceTTU
12-14-2011, 04:41 PM
If true, it is a very poor decision by Blincoe. From everything I had heard it was being postponed because the local vendors hadn't commited the funding. This was originally proposed as a project that would be 100% funded by the community donations. I had no idea about this until this came out this a.m.

After emailing a few people I've come to realize he was passed up on another position last year. Doesn't sound like the long term committment I will stand behind. This is horrible timing and sad indeed.

GrTigers6
12-14-2011, 04:44 PM
I don't understand why 3a and under schools need video scoreboards.Help get playoff games

Old Tiger
12-14-2011, 04:44 PM
They need them no more and no less then a 4A or 5A school.4a/5a usually have bigger stadiums and more local contributors to fund these kind of things. The bigger stadiums means they will have larger attendance thus creating more revenue.

Help get playoff games1a and 2a playoff games? 6man? Playoff teams want big stadiums.

RoyceTTU
12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
1a and 2a playoff games? 6man? Playoff teams want big stadiums.

It's not uncommon for us to host 3a playoff games. I think maybe Wylie played last year. Not sure who else. But yes, we mostly host 1a/2a

ccmom
12-14-2011, 04:47 PM
4a/5a usually have bigger stadiums and more local contributors to fund these kind of things. The bigger stadiums means they will have larger attendance thus creating more revenue.

Wylie has a nice jumbotron and hosted a 3A semi final game this season.

BaseballUmp
12-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Wylie has a nice jumbotron and hosted a 3A semi final game this season.

Because Wylie has 1400 students!

ccmom
12-14-2011, 04:53 PM
Because Wylie has 1400 students!

I was wondering which one of you smart boys would jump on that first.

BaseballUmp
12-14-2011, 04:56 PM
Sorry I shouldn't have said that. Waco La Vega fans will get on my ass for that too

GrTigers6
12-14-2011, 04:56 PM
4a/5a usually have bigger stadiums and more local contributors to fund these kind of things. The bigger stadiums means they will have larger attendance thus creating more revenue.

1a and 2a playoff games? 6man? Playoff teams want big stadiums.We held 6man, 4a, 2- 2A Palyoff games last year. All without a jumbotron. We didnt host any this year due to construction and our team being in the playoffs

ccmom
12-14-2011, 04:57 PM
Sorry I shouldn't have said that. Waco La Vega fans will get on my ass for that too

Hahahahahahahaha....:spitlol:

Baseballump's 2011 Apology Tour...

BaseballUmp
12-14-2011, 04:58 PM
Coming to a town near you

Emerson1
12-14-2011, 04:59 PM
Forney has no jumbotron and hosted multiple 3A and 4A playoff games this post-season. You get it because you want it and can afford it. Nothing is dumber then the whole "it will be paid off by playoff games" thing. It just helps to fool those who think playoff games bring in butt loads of money.

Trashman
12-14-2011, 05:01 PM
it's true, but I think Blinco is victim of bad timing and a poor choice of words. He is big on technology in the schools and football stadiums. :eek:

ccmom
12-14-2011, 05:06 PM
You get it because you want it and can afford it.

Exactly. Nobody NEEDS a jumbotron. I also don't NEED a new purse, but if I want one and can afford it then I buy one. Our scoreboard was totally funded by corporate sponsors, by the way.

MGAR
12-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I likes our jumbotron :cheerl:

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/booyahhh27/NationalAnthem.jpg

waterboy
12-14-2011, 05:15 PM
Exactly. Nobody NEEDS a jumbotron. I also don't NEED a new purse, but if I want one and can afford it then I buy one. Our scoreboard was totally funded by corporate sponsors, by the way.
But y'all also have the advantage of living in a town of around 100,000, so you'll have more corporate sponsors. Just saying......

BEAST
12-14-2011, 05:17 PM
I cant reply about the story as a whole. I do know that the local business didnt pony up the money that Blincoe thought they would. It was said that the next stab at it would be in partnership with Howard Payne. Oh Blincoe...........

BEAST

waterboy
12-14-2011, 05:18 PM

And y'all have all those dadgum mines giving your school money. The revenue from that alone got y'all a state-of-the-art indoor practice facility, too. Not bad for a 2A school! Of course, unless the UIL changes the numbers y'all will likely be back in 3A next season.

ccmom
12-14-2011, 05:20 PM
But y'all also have the advantage of living in a town of around 100,000, so you'll have more corporate sponsors. Just saying......

True. I'm not sure what that has to do with "wanting vs needing" a jumbotron, though.

Old Tiger
12-14-2011, 05:21 PM
Wylie has a nice jumbotron and hosted a 3A semi final game this season.Its because Phil Knight personally set that up. I remember the ATM machine by the concession stand at that stadium.

toddg
im thankful for our sup. and schoolboard here in alvarado..they are more concerned with retaining our great teachers and improving learning facilities during this current budget crunch..if you have ever been to our stadium..its not fancy at all and our score board is just that, a scoreboard.

ccmom

Great picture!!!!

ccmom
12-14-2011, 05:23 PM
im thankful for our sup. and schoolboard here in alvarado..they are more concerned with retaining our great teachers and improving learning facilities during this current budget crunch..if you have ever been to our stadium..its not fancy at all and our score board is just that, a scoreboard.

As if those districts with nicer facilities AREN'T concerned with academics?:confused:

garciap77
12-14-2011, 05:29 PM

I like ours too!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Rocket2-1-1-1.jpg

P.S. ccmom, I know it needs a little updating (the 2 should be a 3)!:D

toddg
12-14-2011, 05:32 PM
As if those districts with nicer facilities AREN'T concerned with academics?:confused:

i didnt imply that at all..just stating that its not an issue here.....yet:)

waterboy
12-14-2011, 05:34 PM
I know Tatum, MGAR's school, has great academics AND nice facilities. They are in the running for the Lone Star Cup every year.

ccmom
12-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Its because Phil Knight personally set that up. I remember the ATM machine by the concession stand at that stadium. That must have been prior to the renovations. We have a full service bank now...next to the Starbucks on the homeside.

Old Tiger
12-14-2011, 05:36 PM
That must have been prior to the renovations. We have a full service bank now...next to the Starbucks on the homeside.I did enjoy the sushi you guys had to offer from the fresh made sushi chef.

bwdlionfan
12-14-2011, 06:06 PM

We have hosted a couple of 5A playoff games over the years. I can't remember which schools exactly, but one of the Midland/Odessa schools played a Mansfield school in Brownwood a few years back. I was thinking we've hosted a couple of others as well. The stadium seats 7,800... just realize if two 4As/5As are playing in Brownwood, it probably means they are far enough away they aren't going to have a ton of fans.

As for what Blincoe said... poor choice of words and an embarrassment to BISD and the town of Brownwood

hollywood
12-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh the media...

Looking4number8
12-14-2011, 07:36 PM
it's true, but I think Blinco is victim of bad timing and a poor choice of words. He is big on technology in the schools and football stadiums. :eek:

this is exactly it in my opinion. Nobody (including Blinco) is in favor of putting athletics in front of academics but we do love our athletics and are not ashamed of that!

ADKargyleTCU12
12-14-2011, 08:52 PM
they need them no more and no less then a 4a or 5a school.

exactly!

BwdLion73
12-15-2011, 11:27 AM
I thought our booster club decided to utilize the $300,000 for move-ins.

Black_Magic
12-15-2011, 11:39 AM
Is this story true Bwood folks?

http://www.empowertexans.com/features/praying-for-a-state-funded-jumbotron/ They already have a jumbotron that works!!. Its crap like this that gives schools a black eye! Yes Schools are underfunded. but not because of stuff like this..

BEAST
12-15-2011, 11:53 AM
They already have a jumbotron that works!!. Its crap like this that gives schools a black eye! Yes Schools are underfunded. but not because of stuff like this..

This is not how it was sold to the citizens. It was going to be a donations thing. As far as I know, no body had idea of any state funding on it.

BEAST

Pendragon13
12-15-2011, 11:55 AM
They already have a jumbotron that works!!. Its crap like this that gives schools a black eye! Yes Schools are underfunded. but not because of stuff like this..I wouldn't exactly call it "jumbo", but yeah they do have a video board separate from the main scoreboard. In any case, video boards in high school stadiums are kinda old hat now...and Jerry Jones has set the bar so high that no matter what you get looks puny and bad by comparison. ;)

Old LB
12-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I was talking to a guy about the current jumbotron and he says they bought it used when it was put in, it had been used during the winter Olympics prior to that. It has had issues as of late and the technology, like any electronics, is outdated. They have to pay a substantial fee to have it serviced, the crews come out of Houston area. To my understandinding that is why the talk started about replacing it, I know they had to shut it off during a playoff game this year because it was malfunctioning.

I don't care if we have a jumbotron or not but I don't really think Blincoe wants a to waste money on it vs. paying teachers. Sounds like a media guy twisted Blincoe's words to fit his view of it.

FB-fanatic
12-15-2011, 02:58 PM
Just curious, are there other "bedroom communities" out there that have great schools, athletics, but very little commercial industry in the town to support projects such as scoreboards? On top of that, one of the smaller 3A's in the state. We are just outside of Waco and our citizens are a lot of Baylor employees and Hillcrest Hospital folks, but even with booster contributions we find it difficult funding facility projects. Just wondering. Our poor scoreboard, with it's 1987 State Champions sign looking more pink than red these days.

Pendragon13
12-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Just curious, are there other "bedroom communities" out there that have great schools, athletics, but very little commercial industry in the town to support projects such as scoreboards? On top of that, one of the smaller 3A's in the state. We are just outside of Waco and our citizens are a lot of Baylor employees and Hillcrest Hospital folks, but even with booster contributions we find it difficult funding facility projects. Just wondering. Our poor scoreboard, with it's 1987 State Champions sign looking more pink than red these days.Well, to be honest..the Wylie school district (separate from AISD) doesn't have any commercial industry that I'm aware of (outside of a regional hospital) but is the "bedroom community" for many of the doctors, lawyers and business owners in Abilene. The thing is, once you get a winning tradition and maybe a state championship or two...the money for frills like video boards and such will start coming from somewhere. It's the same at all levels of sports...win and you'll suddenly find that lots of people will open their checkbooks. ;)

BEAST
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
Well, to be honest..the Wylie school district (separate from AISD) doesn't have any commercial industry that I'm aware of (outside of a regional hospital) but is the "bedroom community" for many of the doctors, lawyers and business owners in Abilene. The thing is, once you get a winning tradition and maybe a state championship or two...the money for frills like video boards and such will start coming from somewhere. It's the same at all levels of sports...win and you'll suddenly find that lots of people will open their checkbooks. ;)

Very true. Since the late 90's the citizens here have built a $500,000.00+ indoor facility and a $1,000,000.00 stadium renovation with $0.00 tax dollars. This scoreboard and video wall they wanted to build wasnt sold properly to the public or it would have more than likely happened.

BEAST

toddg
12-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Well, to be honest..the Wylie school district (separate from AISD) doesn't have any commercial industry that I'm aware of (outside of a regional hospital) but is the "bedroom community" for many of the doctors, lawyers and business owners in Abilene. The thing is, once you get a winning tradition and maybe a state championship or two...the money for frills like video boards and such will start coming from somewhere. It's the same at all levels of sports...win and you'll suddenly find that lots of people will open their checkbooks. ;)

where does the majority of the Dyess AFB kids go to school?...just curious

Pendragon13
12-15-2011, 06:37 PM
where does the majority of the Dyess AFB kids go to school?...just curiousJust guessing, but I'd say the majority go to either Abilene High or Cooper because that is where all of the apartments/townhomes/affordable rent houses are located. Of course I've heard that real estate agents always steer Dyess personnel (usually officers) looking to buy to the Wylie school district. We have our share of Dyess kids but not all of them..

FB-fanatic
11-14-2012, 11:34 PM
Very true. Since the late 90's the citizens here have built a $500,000.00+ indoor facility and a $1,000,000.00 stadium renovation with $0.00 tax dollars. This scoreboard and video wall they wanted to build wasnt sold properly to the public or it would have more than likely happened.

Well, during 7 on 7, our coach came to me and said we've got to get a new scoreboard. The old one is ten years old and is pink instead of red. They had tried to get a new one for three years running. No luck. So what did I do? What every other smart person would do... turn it over to your lovely wife who has a marketing degree. Within 42 days she had lined up three big ten year sponsors. Some couldn't figure out why she kept on insisting to include a media board, though it cost a little more. Well, the scoreboard went in last week in time for our last home game. Was a big game and everyone in town showed up. The next day, we had $1000/year sponsors for the media board lined up outside our compltrollers door. The media board will allow for a steady revenue source year after year. Though not Jumbotron, by any means, but twice as big as our old one.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2651/scoreboardn.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/scoreboardn.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Sville
11-15-2012, 12:04 AM
Sville doesn't even have a stadium of our own we rent Tarleton's for $88k a year. We play all JV and varsity games there. We passed a $24 million bond last May to build two new elementary schools. The year before the bond was for $39 million which included some athletic facility upgrades but the citizens narrowly voted it down. So winning traditions doesn't always equal money given. We do have a privately funded organization that is in the process of raising $300k to remodel the existing weight room. They will start on that after football this year. I hope we can figure out a way to build an indoor practice facility soon as well.

toddg
11-15-2012, 12:17 AM
Well, during 7 on 7, our coach came to me and said we've got to get a new scoreboard. The old one is ten years old and is pink instead of red. They had tried to get a new one for three years running. No luck. So what did I do? What every other smart person would do... turn it over to your lovely wife who has a marketing degree. Within 42 days she had lined up three big ten year sponsors. Some couldn't figure out why she kept on insisting to include a media board, though it cost a little more. Well, the scoreboard went in last week in time for our last home game. Was a big game and everyone in town showed up. The next day, we had $1000/year sponsors for the media board lined up outside our compltrollers door. The media board will allow for a steady revenue source year after year. Though not Jumbotron, by any means, but twice as big as our old one.

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/2651/scoreboardn.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/594/scoreboardn.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

nice!! i like it!

Tejastrue
11-15-2012, 12:38 AM
Surprised nobody mentioned Carthage yet. LOL..

buckeyebob
11-15-2012, 06:46 AM
Surprised nobody mentioned Carthage yet. LOL..

Back off...we have double dibbley on theirs when they get a new one.

hsbtex
11-15-2012, 07:46 AM
I was wondering which one of you smart boys would jump on that first.

Laughing!!!

FB-fanatic
11-15-2012, 08:47 AM
Wow, glad my wife didn't sign up to fund that one. 3/4 of a million dollars! (To the tune of Iverson's "practice" montage) "Scoreboard... are we talking scoreboard.... no, not talking feeding hungry children... we're talking a scoreboard.."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1310222-texas-based-carthage-high-school-about-to-unveil-ridiculous-750000-scoreboard

jason
11-15-2012, 08:58 AM
Sville doesn't even have a stadium of our own we rent Tarleton's for $88k a year. We play all JV and varsity games there. We passed a $24 million bond last May to build two new elementary schools. The year before the bond was for $39 million which included some athletic facility upgrades but the citizens narrowly voted it down. So winning traditions doesn't always equal money given. We do have a privately funded organization that is in the process of raising $300k to remodel the existing weight room. They will start on that after football this year. I hope we can figure out a way to build an indoor practice facility soon as well.
www.bluegoldlegacy.org

Sville
11-15-2012, 03:01 PM
I really think this should become more than a one year project that it should turn into the Blue and Gold Foundation with 501(c) status.

Pendragon13
11-15-2012, 04:40 PM
I don't understand why 3a and under schools need video scoreboards.So we can play videos like this before the game..;) http://www.bulldogsliveonline.com/

garciap77
11-16-2012, 07:51 AM
So we can play videos like this before the game..;) http://www.bulldogsliveonline.com/

:iagree:

J2M2SR
11-16-2012, 08:54 AM
They need them no more and no less then a 4A or 5A school.

Well said , What makes 4a or 5a mire worthy ?

jason
11-16-2012, 09:18 AM
all this talk about a jumbotron - have they fixed the sound system yet?
when we were there in 2010, it was terrible to the point it should have been turned off, especially the overbearing pre game music...

Sville
11-16-2012, 11:27 AM
when we were there in 2010, it was terrible to the point it should have been turned off, especially the overbearing pre game music...

:iagree:

hollywood
11-16-2012, 12:36 PM

I was embarrassed for them