PDA

View Full Version : Dalls Cowboys going Forward

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 10:23 AM
I will say what I said at beginning of season

This year was a mini rebuild for Dallas..replacing key OL with new guys proved that....We all knew the secondary was not great, the hope was Ryan would help with that..and at times he has, but good passing teams will still expose a weakness if the QB is not hit and hit hard. Complain about Ryan all we want, but this is a talent issue on the field and even if they bring in a new DC still have to change the talent.

Same goes with Garrett as a head coach..this is his first full year, he will make mistakes, one hopes he learns from them( just look at some of the mistakes people like Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry made early in careers and they had been coaching alot longer)..It also takes longer than a year( one with no off season btw) to change a locker room culture and the atmoshpere of the team.

All in all I think it is safe to say that while yes Wade Phillips was a huge reason for last year's collapse, so was a lack of talent in key areas it was not all just the coach, and it never is...As much as we all like to think Coaches make the player, it is jst as much the other way around.

If you would have said at the beginning hey after last years crap season Dallas will be tied for first and in control of their own play off chances with three games to play, I think everyone one of us Cowboy fans would have been estatic...Will they make it? who knows

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 10:25 AM
crap on the Dalls part LOL

Bullaholic
12-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I will say what I said at beginning of season

This year was a mini rebuild for Dallas..replacing key OL with new guys proved that....We all knew the secondary was not great, the hope was Ryan would help with that..and at times he has, but good passing teams will still expose a weakness if the QB is not hit and hit hard. Complain about Ryan all we want, but this is a talent issue on the field and even if they bring in a new DC still have to change the talent.

Same goes with Garrett as a head coach..this is his first full year, he will make mistakes, one hopes he learns from them( just look at some of the mistakes people like Jimmy Johnson and Tom Landry made early in careers and they had been coaching alot longer)..It also takes longer than a year( one with no off season btw) to change a locker room culture and the atmoshpere of the team.

All in all I think it is safe to say that while yes Wade Phillips was a huge reason for last year's collapse, so was a lack of talent in key areas it was not all just the coach, and it never is...As much as we all like to think Coaches make the player, it is jst as much the other way around.

If you would have said at the beginning hey after last years crap season Dallas will be tied for first and in control of their own play off chances with three games to play, I think everyone one of us Cowboy fans would have been estatic...Will they make it? who knows

I agree with those thoughts, TxB. I will only add that the days of teams building "dyanasties" are gone. Free agency, the coaching carousel, and instant gratification demands of fans and owners have made it almost impossible for NFL head coaches to achieve short-term success. There are exceptions here and there---namely New England, Green Bay, and SF of late---and I think all of those HC's are 24-7, hands-on, kick your butt types who have complete latitude to do what is needed from their owners. Garrett is inexperienced and has a tendency to "overthink" when coaching---after all he is a Princeton grad. I think his weakness is not in theory, but in application. The Cowboys need a Ray Lewis type or two in the locker room to translate Garrett's ideas down to street level and enforce them. The Cowboys lack player leadership on the field. Somebody every player respects needs to challenge the Cowboy players' manhood by chewing on their butts when they fail to perform as expected in games.

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 12:17 PM
It's too simple to just say it's a talent thing. We have seen these guys play at a Championship level. They play even up with the best teams in the NFL. The talent is there and that point can't be denied. Of course some positions and depth can be questioned but that applies to every team. So I have to ask how much blame do you put on the attitude and motivation of this team? How much goes to the preparation and expectations? Because of salary cap and free agency rules now no team will every be put together again like the early 90's Cowboys were. Having a few stars and a team full of average players who are lead to greatness is the only way to win these days. I don't see leadership from any direction with this team. Or at least not positive leadership! I don't follow other NFL teams as closley as the Cowboys but it seems to me Dallas Cowboy players get the "I'm a superstar" mentality way guicker than any other place. And Dallas players seem to be the last to understand their play on the field is not up to par. Doesn't that go directly to the organization? That starts at the top! Isn't it Jerry that essentually hangs on to older players way too long? Perhaps Jerry's loyalty and love for his players is his ultimate downfall. Maybe?

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 12:20 PM
I agree with those thoughts, TxB. I will only add that the days of teams building "dyanasties" are gone. Free agency, the coaching carousel, and instant gratification demands of fans and owners have made it almost impossible for NFL head coaches to achieve short-term success. There are exceptions here and there---namely New England, Green Bay, and SF of late---and I think all of those HC's are 24-7, hands-on, kick your butt types who have complete latitude to do what is needed from their owners. Garrett is inexperienced and has a tendency to "overthink" when coaching---after all he is a Princeton grad. I think his weakness is not in theory, but in application. The Cowboys need a Ray Lewis type or two in the locker room to translate Garrett's ideas down to street level and enforce them. The Cowboys lack player leadership on the field. Somebody every player respects needs to challenge the Cowboy players' manhood by chewing on their butts when they fail to perform as expected in games.

Well said!

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 12:28 PM
It's too simple to just say it's a talent thing. We have seen these guys play at a Championship level. They play even up with the best teams in the NFL. The talent is there and that point can't be denied. Of course some positions and depth can be questioned but that applies to every team. So I have to ask how much blame do you put on the attitude and motivation of this team? How much goes to the preparation and expectations? Because of salary cap and free agency rules now no team will every be put together again like the early 90's Cowboys were. Having a few stars and a team full of average players who are lead to greatness is the only way to win these days. I don't see leadership from any direction with this team. Or at least not positive leadership! I don't follow other NFL teams as closley as the Cowboys but it seems to me Dallas Cowboy players get the "I'm a superstar" mentality way guicker than any other place. And Dallas players seem to be the last to understand their play on the field is not up to par. Doesn't that go directly to the organization? That starts at the top! Isn't it Jerry that essentually hangs on to older players way too long? Perhaps Jerry's loyalty and love for his players is his ultimate downfall. Maybe?

I think Sean Lee will eventually become a leader..Bradie James has always tried to lead and supposedly is considered one, but who knows

the problem Dallas has is unlucky..the best players are just not fiery leaders, they are quiet ones..and sometimes that means we dont see them lead.

rholl
12-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Charles Haley was on radio today talking about going into the locker room and talking to them about the preparation to be great, extra film study. Then he said noone in locker room had any interest in what he was saying. I translate it to mean 52 guys just collecting a paycheck!!!!

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 09:23 PM
The talent is there except at LB because Ware isn't even a top 25 LB.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 09:35 PM
Charles Haley was on radio today talking about going into the locker room and talking to them about the preparation to be great, extra film study. Then he said noone in locker room had any interest in what he was saying. I translate it to mean 52 guys just collecting a paycheck!!!!

I truly doubt high motor guys like Ware, Ratliff, Witten, Romo etc etc are just picking up game checks

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 09:53 PM

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20110824-charles-haley-all-cowboys-are-doing-is-sitting-there-counting-numbers_.ece

He was talking about last years team

bobcat1
12-13-2011, 10:25 PM
I think the biggest 2 problems is no leaders and frailty of the players we have. Jerry is constantly looking for a bargain. He takes chances on this aften injured draft picks that fell in the draft due to injury. We need stout mean ill tempered ball players. We don't need anymore Prima Donnas. We need mean ass ball players like Harrison, Ed Reed, Ray Lewis. We need players that act like the game means something to them more than Oh Well we lost, Wanna play golf tomorrow?

ADKargyleTCU12
12-13-2011, 10:31 PM
Our secondary is awful.

yellaseeker
12-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Everything that you can point out about this team that is wrong reflects back to management, plain and simple. If players don't play up to their potential it falls back on coaches which reflects back to management. J. Jones had a good combination when he had Jimmy Jonson as head coach and Troy Aikman as QB and a slew of other talent on the team as well. They had good leadership and a Coach that knew how to win. Just about any good coach would not put up with this owners BS and influence. That is why Parcell had a short career with them. Most or nearly all owners who have good coaches let them do their job until they prove that they can't get it done. Ultimately, I put the blame on the Owner/Gm. One can only hope that J. Jones will sell this team. Hell, if that would happen i may find it in my heart to atleast give the team a little respect. Never have been a Dallas fan but had mucho respect for Landry and a lot of the players back in the day when my steel curtain use to wear their asses out on a regular bases. I really believe this team needs a fresh start, starting at the top. JMO!

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Everything that you can point out about this team that is wrong reflects back to management, plain and simple. If players don't play up to their potential it falls back on coaches which reflects back to management. J. Jones had a good combination when he had Jimmy Jonson as head coach and Troy Aikman as QB and a slew of other talent on the team as well. They had good leadership and a Coach that knew how to win. Just about any good coach would not put up with this owners BS and influence. That is why Parcell had a short career with them. Most or nearly all owners who have good coaches let them do their job until they prove that they can't get it done. Ultimately, I put the blame on the Owner/Gm. One can only hope that J. Jones will sell this team. Hell, if that would happen i may find it in my heart to atleast give the team a little respect. Never have been a Dallas fan but had mucho respect for Landry and a lot of the players back in the day when my steel curtain use to wear their asses out on a regular bases. I really believe this team needs a fresh start, starting at the top. JMO!

Parcells left because Jones would not extend him

yellaseeker
12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Parcells left because Jones would not extend him

Truth be known, those two didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things and Parcells wanted more of the control that a head coach should have and J. Jones would in no way keep his nose out of the coaching aspect of it. Pretty sure a condition of Parcels willingness to extend his stay had a lot to do with Jones concentrating his efforts in the area of management insteading of coaching. Seeing that Parcell's resistance to him trying to micro manage everything would continue to have them butting heads, he chose to let him go and look for a "YES" man for the job. Face it, J.J. is a POS and is ultimately responsible for the lackluster seasons they've had for quit a few years now.

yellaseeker
12-13-2011, 11:18 PM
Anyone else heard the rumor about the Giants buying Cowboys Stadium.

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Truth be known, those two didn't see eye to eye on a lot of things and Parcells wanted more of the control that a head coach should have and J. Jones would in no way keep his nose out of the coaching aspect of it. Pretty sure a condition of Parcels willingness to extend his stay had a lot to do with Jones concentrating his efforts in the area of management insteading of coaching. Seeing that Parcell's resistance to him trying to micro manage everything would continue to have them butting heads, he chose to let him go and look for a "YES" man for the job. Face it, J.J. is a POS and is ultimately responsible for the lackluster seasons they've had for quit a few years now.
You know this how?

yellaseeker
12-13-2011, 11:44 PM
You know this how?

J.J. golf caddy told me.

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 09:38 AM
I use to never have a negative reaction to the things that Jerry said on TV or in print. But I saw him speak to a reporter concerning how secure Garrett's position is and I threw up a little in my mouth. The man's demeanor and attitude is sickening to me these days. I don't wonder now why Romo's "If losing is the worse thing to happen to me then I will have had a good life" attitude was not only accepted but excused as no big deal by this organization. That kind of mentality is a death sentence to a organization that depends on intensity and competitive fire to be successful. Jerry's remarks carry an air of pessimism that isn't founded in reality. My question is does Jerry REALLY believe the things he says or is he just saying them to try to molify the fans and media? If Jerry truly sees positive things from this team or expects a big turnaround after watching this ship wreck for 20 years then I seriously question his business sense. I think Jerry has his rings and now wants to pad the bank account.
I am also very concerned with J. Garrett's lack of intensity or expectations. I thought his calling card was discipline and a demand for excellence. If I had any support for the man before the game on Sunday I lost it when Newman missed the pick 6 and Garrett was caught on TV grinning from ear to ear with Newman. Roy Williams, Mile Austin, Tony Romo, Terrence Newman and many others have been caught on tape after huge mistakes grinning like a fox in a hen house! Now the coach has been caught doing the exact same thing. Any wonder why under-achievement has become the norm in this organization?

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 09:42 AM
I think Sean Lee will eventually become a leader..Bradie James has always tried to lead and supposedly is considered one, but who knows

the problem Dallas has is unlucky..the best players are just not fiery leaders, they are quiet ones..and sometimes that means we dont see them lead.

We also don't see the RESULTS that leadership should produce TXB! Quit or otherwise..................

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 09:49 AM
We also don't see the RESULTS that leadership should produce TXB! Quit or otherwise..................

What are the results of leadership? If a corner is not physically good enough to cover, what will leadeship do? I think at times the word leader get thrown much and is used to explain results that often time are a physical problem

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 09:54 AM
The talent is there except at LB because Ware isn't even a top 25 LB.

You are compounding the appearance of your ignorance every time to post something like this Emerson1. Go back and re-read that thread and you will see that I said D. Ware was probably #1 in pass rushing but was very weak at tackling and coverage. (Ranked #23 in the NFL this season in tackles). That was the reason I initially stated he wasn't one of the best of all times in NFL history. I then also said that after looking up the stats of all those others that I felt were above him I realized that even those guys were pretty much limited to either/or when it came to the whole game of OLB. They either excelled at rushing the passer or at tackling and coverage! Very few excelled at both and I believe I corrected my first comment by saying that D. Ware actually performed better at BOTH skills than most of those other guys. So although Ware isn't top 25 in tackles or coverage in my opinion he is #1 at rushing the passer and all the other top pass rushers at his position are below him in tackles and coverage ability. So put it to rest. You are making no sense!

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 10:20 AM
What are the results of leadership? If a corner is not physically good enough to cover, what will leadeship do? I think at times the word leader get thrown much and is used to explain results that often time are a physical problem

I don't know if there is any real tangible definition of leadership. In my opinion getting the most out of the players around you is the true tangible effect of positive leadership. By your example the rest of the team exerts the extra effort to get the desired results. The one undeniable fact about this team is that we get less than consistent effort out of them! That reeks of a lack of quality leadership in opinion.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 10:25 AM
I don't know if there is any real tangible definition of leadership. In my opinion getting the most out of the players around you is the true tangible effect of positive leadership. By your example the rest of the team exerts the extra effort to get the desired results. The one undeniable fact about this team is that we get less than consistent effort out of them! That reeks of a lack of quality leadership in opinion.

See that is where I disagree..I dont think it is an effort issue at all, I think it is a talent/smart play issue

When a CB is unsure of his assignment he will be 3 steps to slow, not because he is not trying, but because he spends to much time reading the play and not going on instinct of knowing the system.

Just because a player is beat or does not perform well that does not mean they are not putting forth effort

BEAST
12-14-2011, 10:28 AM
I never thought Id say this, but if you want to see what leadership and pure grit look like, watch the Broncos.

BEAST

BwdLion73
12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
J.J. golf caddy told me.

J.J.'s golf caddy is looking for a job...:eek::wave:

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 10:39 AM

I also think that a "physical" inability to perform at the NFL level is so blatantly obvious that player is short lived. T. Newman has had some very good games and has shown he can still blanket the best receivers in the game. The Pick 6 that I referenced in my comments hit him right in the hands. There were no physical limitations that prevented him from making that play. It was 100% mental. He didn't have to dive for it or jump high to catch it. It was like playing catch with his kids. But then to laugh and grin about the mental mistake is unacceptable in my opinion. But then even worse is to have the Head Coach of the team to laugh and grin about the mental mistake. Again, I think that picture speaks 1000 words about the problems with this franchise.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 10:42 AM
I never thought Id say this, but if you want to see what leadership and pure grit look like, watch the Broncos.

BEAST

chris carter was on first take yesterday and basically said..give Tebow all the credit for ability for his late game performance, but people overrated his or anyones leadership. He said no one on defense is playing harder because of the QB or thinking in the 4th Q I have to make this play for Tebow. And he was not talking about Tebow alone, but the whole perception of leaders and qbs as leader

I was shocked a former player was saying that

BEAST
12-14-2011, 10:44 AM
chris carter was on first take yesterday and basically said..give Tebow all the credit for ability for his late game performance, but people overrated his or anyones leadership. He said no one on defense is playing harder because of the QB or thinking in the 4th Q I have to make this play for Tebow. And he was not talking about Tebow alone, but the whole perception of leaders and qbs as leader

All I can say is I disagree with him. Leaders tend to win. Teams with leaders tend to win. All Tebow has done is win, although its ugly, they win.

BEAST

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 10:50 AM
See that is where I disagree..I dont think it is an effort issue at all, I think it is a talent/smart play issue

When a CB is unsure of his assignment he will be 3 steps to slow, not because he is not trying, but because he spends to much time reading the play and not going on instinct of knowing the system.

Just because a player is beat or does not perform well that does not mean they are not putting forth effort

Mental effort is equal to physical effort! If a player is unsure then he has not put forth the effort to prepare. Talent/Smart play are two different things. Talent is the measure of physical ability to perform at a certain level. Smart play is nothing more than exercising good judgement during play. It take good mental preparation and attitude to get the most out of Talent. A lacking in either will result in play that is below the players capabilities. A leader sets the tone and gets the other players into the right frame of mind to allow them use their talents at the highest possible level. Newman appears more concerned with staying healthy than performing on the field. He demonstrats frequently that he will avoid contact if possible. Smart move or bad move is debateable but either way it certainly inhibits his ability to get the most out of his natural talent. A lack of confidence in the other players around him also causes him to hold back and not be as aggressive as he normally would. But all this is completely mental..............

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 11:02 AM

But nobody can deny the defense is playing harder/better since Tebow took over as the QB. That can't be denied. So regardless of whether the defensive players actually perform better because of Tebow directly or not it is certain that they are performing better because of the improved atttude and lockerroom mentality which is directly the result of Tebow's leadership!

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 11:22 AM
But nobody can deny the defense is playing harder/better since Tebow took over as the QB. That can't be denied. So regardless of whether the defensive players actually perform better because of Tebow directly or not it is certain that they are performing better because of the improved atttude and lockerroom mentality which is directly the result of Tebow's leadership!

I think they are playing better..but look at who they beat and the D was not terrible before the move...I know one thing this is one of the most unique things I have ever seen in the NFL and it is fun to watch

waterboy
12-14-2011, 11:52 AM
At this level of football, at least, the bulk of the difference between winning and losing is between the ears. It doesn't look like the Cowboy players have gotten over that, "Oh, no, here we go again!", mentality, once they get into a position to win and miss a shot at putting it out of reach. It's always a "deja vu" mental thing with them, and it's already spread to the fans. If they can just put all that junk behind them they'll be fine, and could win out. The ONLY way the Cowboys make the postseason this season is to WIN OUT, in my humble opinion.

The next thing that HAS to happen is the hiring of an Offensive Coordinator. Garrett has shown he has too much going on to coach down the stretch. In my opinion, his lack of attention to detail has cost them at least three wins this year. His mind is overloaded, and I think if he had an OC that part of the game taken off his shoulders would allow the Cowboys the ability to CLOSE out wins.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 12:04 PM
At this level of football, at least, the bulk of the difference between winning and losing is between the ears. It doesn't look like the Cowboy players have gotten over that, "Oh, no, here we go again!", mentality, once they get into a position to win and miss a shot at putting it out of reach. It's always a "deja vu" mental thing with them, and it's already spread to the fans. If they can just put all that junk behind them they'll be fine, and could win out. The ONLY way the Cowboys make the postseason this season is to WIN OUT, in my humble opinion.

The next thing that HAS to happen is the hiring of an Offensive Coordinator. Garrett has shown he has too much going on to coach down the stretch. In my opinion, his lack of attention to detail has cost them at least three wins this year. His mind is overloaded, and I think if he had an OC that part of the game taken off his shoulders would allow the Cowboys the ability to CLOSE out wins.

Real good point..I think with the 4 comebacks Dallas has gotten over the romo cant do it late...but the lead meltdowns, I think your right they almost fear being up 14 with 5 to play

I think they will hire some kind of OC or Asst head coach in off season..nothing agianst Garrett, but he needs some help

Bullaholic
12-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I don't want to sound like a caller on a sports show, but I do feel that the Cowboys have problems which are not talent related:

1. Lack of blue-collar work ethic by too many starters.

2. Too many young players who think they are stars before they have done more than shine on a few plays.

3. Lack of strong veteran player leadership.

4. Signing of too many "over-the-hill" and unproven players to big multi-year deals.

5. Lack of aggressive 4-Quarter effort both in play calling on offense and tackling/rush/coverage on defense.

BEAST
12-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Do you guys remember how good Emmitt was and the Oline from midway in the 3rd qtr till the end of the game. I remember a lot of the games being close and then Dallas would just stomp them with the run. Wear them completely out and the Troy would hit Irvin or Harper for a big TD. I thought we were about to get there the run game last week. Even after losing Murray, Felix ran very well. Blocking was good. Yes, I know about the fumble. But, when we got to 3 minutes, we couldnt run. IDK man.....

BEAST

Bullaholic
12-14-2011, 12:38 PM
Do you guys remember how good Emmitt was and the Oline from midway in the 3rd qtr till the end of the game. I remember a lot of the games being close and then Dallas would just stomp them with the run. Wear them completely out and the Troy would hit Irvin or Harper for a big TD. I thought we were about to get there the run game last week. Even after losing Murray, Felix ran very well. Blocking was good. Yes, I know about the fumble. But, when we got to 3 minutes, we couldnt run. IDK man.....

BEAST

I remember many seasons when no NFL team looked forward to preparing for and playing the Cowboys. That hasn't happened in a long, long time, Beast.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 12:41 PM

BEAST

that was back in the days of if Dallas scored on first two possesions GAME OVER 95% of time

BEAST
12-14-2011, 02:30 PM
that was back in the days of if Dallas scored on first two possesions GAME OVER 95% of time

Yup. If memory serves me they set a record on consecutive games scoring a TD on the first posession.

BEAST

SintonFan
12-14-2011, 08:01 PM
You are compounding the appearance of your ignorance every time to post something like this Emerson1. Go back and re-read that thread and you will see that I said D. Ware was probably #1 in pass rushing but was very weak at tackling and coverage. (Ranked #23 in the NFL this season in tackles). That was the reason I initially stated he wasn't one of the best of all times in NFL history. I then also said that after looking up the stats of all those others that I felt were above him I realized that even those guys were pretty much limited to either/or when it came to the whole game of OLB. They either excelled at rushing the passer or at tackling and coverage! Very few excelled at both and I believe I corrected my first comment by saying that D. Ware actually performed better at BOTH skills than most of those other guys. So although Ware isn't top 25 in tackles or coverage in my opinion he is #1 at rushing the passer and all the other top pass rushers at his position are below him in tackles and coverage ability. So put it to rest. You are making no sense!

It's kind of hard to tackle the RB when you are constantly draped over the QB. :D

yellaseeker
12-14-2011, 11:50 PM
I use to never have a negative reaction to the things that Jerry said on TV or in print. But I saw him speak to a reporter concerning how secure Garrett's position is and I threw up a little in my mouth. The man's demeanor and attitude is sickening to me these days. I don't wonder now why Romo's "If losing is the worse thing to happen to me then I will have had a good life" attitude was not only accepted but excused as no big deal by this organization. That kind of mentality is a death sentence to a organization that depends on intensity and competitive fire to be successful. Jerry's remarks carry an air of pessimism that isn't founded in reality. My question is does Jerry REALLY believe the things he says or is he just saying them to try to molify the fans and media? If Jerry truly sees positive things from this team or expects a big turnaround after watching this ship wreck for 20 years then I seriously question his business sense. I think Jerry has his rings and now wants to pad the bank account.
I am also very concerned with J. Garrett's lack of intensity or expectations. I thought his calling card was discipline and a demand for excellence. If I had any support for the man before the game on Sunday I lost it when Newman missed the pick 6 and Garrett was caught on TV grinning from ear to ear with Newman. Roy Williams, Mile Austin, Tony Romo, Terrence Newman and many others have been caught on tape after huge mistakes grinning like a fox in a hen house! Now the coach has been caught doing the exact same thing. Any wonder why under-achievement has become the norm in this organization?

:iagree:Totally. Just reconfirms what i had mentioned. Axe it at the head and work down.

Tejastrue
12-14-2011, 11:52 PM

Ah yes, those thrilling days of yesteryear.

sinton66
12-15-2011, 08:44 AM

Loyalty to players? JONES? Ask Troy Aikman about that.

Farmersfan
12-15-2011, 09:07 AM

I believe you are suffering from some nostalgia TXB. In the overall scheme of things the Dallas team during Romo's career has been just about as highly ranked amoung it's peers as those SuperBowl teams were. Of course they weren't as good as the SB teams but neither has their competition been as good as the competition that team faced. Remember these rankings are vs their peers. For about the millionth time the big difference between the two eras is the quality of the leadership and the refusal to lose from the star players. I also think the in-house organization overall has gone down hill a lot. The more I see I more I'm convinced Jerry Jones is a bad seed and has evasive roots that even pure Roundup won't kill!!!!!

Overall Ranks:

Points differential: yardage diff
80= 2 10
81= 4 11
82= 16 1
83= 7 4
84= 12 13
85= 5 12

06'= 7 9
07= 4 4
08'= 19 7
09'= 8 2
10= 21 12
11'= 11 7

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2011, 01:36 PM
I believe you are suffering from some nostalgia TXB. In the overall scheme of things the Dallas team during Romo's career has been just about as highly ranked amoung it's peers as those SuperBowl teams were. Of course they weren't as good as the SB teams but neither has their competition been as good as the competition that team faced. Remember these rankings are vs their peers. For about the millionth time the big difference between the two eras is the quality of the leadership and the refusal to lose from the star players. I also think the in-house organization overall has gone down hill a lot. The more I see I more I'm convinced Jerry Jones is a bad seed and has evasive roots that even pure Roundup won't kill!!!!!

Overall Ranks:

80= 2 10
81= 4 11
82= 16 1
83= 7 4
84= 12 13
85= 5 12

06'= 7 9
07= 4 4
08'= 19 7
09'= 8 2
10= 21 12
11'= 11 7

80?..what the hell are u talking about Cowboy teams from 80's?

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2011, 04:02 PM
. Of course they weren't as good as the SB teams but neither has their competition been as good as the competition that team faced.

Not really understanding this?

Txbroadcaster
12-16-2011, 03:38 PM

Overall Ranks:

80= 2 10
81= 4 11
82= 16 1
83= 7 4
84= 12 13
85= 5 12

06'= 7 9
07= 4 4
08'= 19 7
09'= 8 2
10= 21 12
11'= 11 7

still curious why you brought up teams from the 80's

Farmersfan
12-16-2011, 04:32 PM
still curious why you brought up teams from the 80's

Wasn't a good point so I didn't pursue it! In response to something you said I was going to show that the Cowboy's teams from the past weren't any higher ranked or more talented than the Romo led Cowboys has been ranked but they got results were as Romo spews philosophical quotes about life in general like he was Socrates or something. The biggest difference (in my opinion) from the average Cowboys teams of the past and this current team is the demands from the team leaders. In my opinion Tony Romo is the worse franchise QB this team has had in my lifetime when it comes to leadership, consistent execution and intensity! I know the stats don't support that but these things aren't measured with stats. And I didn't pick any era in particular but just used the 1st 6 seasons of the 80s to compare to the 6 seasons of Romo's career......................... But again the point didn't really have any relevance at all to the discussion..................

Farmersfan
12-16-2011, 04:37 PM
Not really understanding this?

Free Agency has reduced the overall amount of talent on this Cowboys team from where it was at during the Superbowl runs. But it has also reduced the talent on the competition that this team has to play. That was the point that was going to be made....

Txbroadcaster
12-16-2011, 04:56 PM
Free Agency has reduced the overall amount of talent on this Cowboys team from where it was at during the Superbowl runs. But it has also reduced the talent on the competition that this team has to play. That was the point that was going to be made....

IMO that means more teams are good

btw When I said back in the day Dallas would go up 14-0 in two drives game was basically over I was talking about the 90's era not the 80's