PDA

View Full Version : Refugio...

Bullaholic
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
I have been dropping a few "Refugio will win by 50+" posts in some threads, even 3A and up, in jest. Are they really that good?

Sweetwater Red
12-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I have been dropping a few "Refugio will win by 50+" posts in some threads, even 3A and up, in jest. Are they really that good?

After watching them play Poth? No

YTBulldogs
12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
After watching them beat Poth? No

:iagree:

And Three Rivers prior to Poth. Solid offense, defense iffy.

Matthew328
12-12-2011, 08:17 PM
I'm convinced on Refugio...they just got done beating Lexington by 30...thats impressive stuff

SintonFan
12-12-2011, 08:23 PM

Can you properly pronounce the name? Many can't, but I bet you can.

YTBulldogs
12-12-2011, 08:24 PM
Maybe their hitting their potential stride, when these guys finally can play 4 quarters? In district, their water boys could of beat the opponents.

Sweetwater Red
12-12-2011, 08:27 PM
I'm convinced on Refugio...they just got done beating Lexington by 30...thats impressive stuff

That's what I love about HS football. It's all about the matchups. We'll see how they do against Cisco.

Ernest T Bass
12-12-2011, 08:30 PM

Ref-Fure-ee-oh?

SintonFan
12-12-2011, 08:31 PM
Ref-Fure-ee-oh?

lol
Close enough! :D

Matthew328
12-12-2011, 08:54 PM
I just call em Re-fudge

1st and goal
12-12-2011, 09:27 PM
After watching them play Poth? No

gotta remember, only a handful over 200 kids go to Refurio. (Spelled as locals say it)

garciap77
12-12-2011, 09:29 PM

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Sports/gdpit_com_96762788_96.gif

BaseballUmp
12-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Just saw on twitter that the Refugio piece will be airing on sportcenter tonight after the game

regaleagle
12-13-2011, 12:09 AM
I'm excited about watching this game. Back in the day(early 70's), they were on our(Goliad) schedule every year. We had some good games against them. They have always been a power team, from what I can remember. I guess they will have my support since I played against them. GO BOBCATS!!

slingshot
12-13-2011, 12:19 AM
Don't count Cisco out before the game starts... ball control running game, salty defense, very well coached.

raider red 2000
12-13-2011, 07:28 AM
Does anyone know what the state record is for most points scored in a state finals game is?

Gsquared
12-13-2011, 07:34 AM
I think Refugio will win but it Cisco aint no cake walk by any means. They are the most solid team all around in 2A. I suspect the Lobes will come out and lay some licks.

44INAROW
12-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Just saw on twitter that the Refugio piece will be airing on sportcenter tonight after the game
I watched SPortscenter 2 different times and never saw it :( maybe I missed it... I'd love to see it..

Matthew328
12-13-2011, 10:02 AM
Does anyone know what the state record is for most points scored in a state finals game is?

Sulphur Springs beat Dayton 72-48 in the 2008 4A D2 title game

MGAR
12-13-2011, 10:05 AM
They had the best over the summer coaching move maybe of all time.

Will it pay off?

Have they found the missing Linx? errrrr meaning missing link?

raider red 2000
12-13-2011, 10:34 AM
Sulphur Springs beat Dayton 72-48 in the 2008 4A D2 title game

Wow- thats a bunch.
I dont see the Bobcats getting that close.

Old Tiger
12-13-2011, 11:00 AM

Just last year in 6man Garden City beat Strawn 122-88 so that is the UIL state record.

Be_Advised
12-13-2011, 04:29 PM
espn.go.com/video/clip?id=7308084

Matthew328
12-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Just last year in 6man Garden City beat Strawn 122-88 so that is the UIL state record.

Six man football records are seperate

waterboy
12-13-2011, 04:46 PM
I think Re-fury-oh wins the title game in a close one,.........48-33.

Phil C
12-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Refugio has dominated every game this year. Their closes game was won by 17 points which means they had at least a three possession advantage at the end of all their games.

jockcity33
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM

Just a guess but I would bet that the coaching staff in Refugio knows what the record is!!!

sinfan75
12-13-2011, 04:57 PM
I have been dropping a few "Refugio will win by 50+" posts in some threads, even 3A and up, in jest. Are they really that good?Listened to their game last week and Lexington forced them to punt just once after the game was out of reach. They quite a few 3 and 4 play drives. I think the defense was on the field longer than the offense. I know there has been talk of they don't play nobody, but they played the R3 champ who beat them last year and they scored 63 points. make your own judgement but they must be pretty darn good. Guess we'll see come friday.

BEAST
12-13-2011, 05:14 PM
In all honesty, I dont fault the guy. 4 years he played it the other way and it bit him in the butt in the playoffs. This year he said hell with it. I know it would suck to be on the other side of one of those butt whoopins but he has to do for his team what ever he can to get them better. And in doing so, he has them 4 qts away from a SC.

BEAST

pirate4state
12-13-2011, 05:57 PM
In all honesty, I dont fault the guy. 4 years he played it the other way and it bit him in the butt in the playoffs. This year he said hell with it. I know it would suck to be on the other side of one of those butt whoopins but he has to do for his team what ever he can to get them better. And in doing so, he has them 4 qts away from a SC.

BEAST

and while I don't agree with some of his last minute scores; if those are truly back-ups then let 'em gain the experience. I always hate taking a knee at the end of the game when we are in the RZ. I want another TD!!! :mad:

Bullaholic
12-13-2011, 06:02 PM
and while I don't agree with some of his last minute scores; if those are truly back-ups then let 'em gain the experience. I always hate taking a knee at the end of the game when we are in the RZ. I want another TD!!! :mad:

Ma'am, you sure got a lot of hard bark on you...:D

sinfan75
12-13-2011, 09:50 PM
Cisco will be the best team refugio has faced all year so it'll be a great game to watch! HOW BOUT THEM BOBCATS!!!

Matthew328
12-14-2011, 08:44 AM
I understand why Herring is doing what he's doing....I think he may be taking it to the extreme a bit..but the thought process behind it makes total sense

garciap77
12-14-2011, 08:54 AM

:D http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/refugio :D

garciap77
12-14-2011, 08:56 AM
Ma'am, you sure got a lot of hard bark on you...:D

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Smilies/girl-shout.gif

raider red 2000
12-14-2011, 09:03 AM

From what I remember the only TD we scored with starters real late was against Three Rivers. Most of the others were with our #4 freshman running back.

Cisco may be the best team that Refugio has seen all year, but that is all that we have heard for the past 5 games.

YTBulldogs
12-14-2011, 09:04 AM
I kinda like to see a 51-50 Cisco win. Four or five OT's. Shut them Refugio fan's up talking they can beat Katy, Calallen, Sinton, Lamarque, Calhoun, etc---yet, they can have the honor of setting the National scoring record.

Matthew328
12-14-2011, 09:08 AM
I think Refugio could beat Sinton...dont think they'd blow em out but I think if they played it'd be a good game, so their fans saying that isn't some crazy talk....the others well that's such silly talk I'm not even sure why anyone would even take it seriously...of course next if Refugio and Calhoun played I'd be inclined to take Refugio since Calhoun is losing everyone

YTBulldogs
12-14-2011, 09:23 AM
I think Refugio could beat Sinton...dont think they'd blow em out but I think if they played it'd be a good game, so their fans saying that isn't some crazy talk....the others well that's such silly talk I'm not even sure why anyone would even take it seriously...of course next if Refugio and Calhoun played I'd be inclined to take Refugio since Calhoun is losing everyone

Well, from what I had heard, it was based on this year's teams. Not, after these schools lose all their good players.

YTBulldogs
12-14-2011, 09:45 AM
Refugio could break the national scoring record of 903 points set by North Carolina's Albemarle in 2001. Currently, Refugio has scored 855 points.

Refugio broke the state record recently, which was held by Big Sandy. Couple players from that Big Sandy team were David Overstreet and current Chicago Bears Head Coach, Lovie Smith.

waterboy
12-14-2011, 10:21 AM
Sorry, but the Re-fury-oh people need to get a grip. There's a world of difference in playing one class up, much less two or three. They would not be able to hang with Chapel Hill, Avarado, Argyle, Gilmer, Wimberley, Carthage, Henderson, Navasota, LaVega, and the other top teams in 3A. It's a whole world of difference beating the teams they've played compared to the better teams in the next classification up. As a matter of fact, I would say Melissa might could beat them in a shootout.

Matthew328
12-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Sorry, but the Re-fury-oh people need to get a grip. There's a world of difference in playing one class up, much less two or three. They would not be able to hang with Chapel Hill, Avarado, Argyle, Gilmer, Wimberley, Carthage, Henderson, Navasota, LaVega, and the other top teams in 3A. It's a whole world of difference beating the teams they've played compared to the better teams in the next classification up. As a matter of fact, I would say Melissa might could beat them in a shootout.

Every school has idiot fans...Refugio certianly doesn't have the market cornered there

YTBulldogs
12-14-2011, 10:23 AM
Every school has idiot fans...Refugio certianly doesn't have the market cornered there

For our area down this way, they do---by a long shot. :)

waterboy
12-14-2011, 10:35 AM
True. Every fanbase has those types. I guess I should've said those Re-fury-oh people who are saying those things, not lumping them all in one category. Sorry for offending those that actually don't believe that kind of hype. They do have a good team, but some of their fans need a reality check.

Getbackup
12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
Well I watched the ESPN OTL clip and although I agree with some of what the coach at Refugio was saying he still came off as a Douchebag. No wonder the coaches down south don't care for him. It's one thing to let your players play and get your second team players in to get quality time but to jump up and down and chest bump (maybe b/c he was on TV) when your ahead by 50 seems a little stupid and over the top. I saw on the video where he called a time out while ahead by 42 so they could score again. I will say it again Douchebag!!

I have not idea about these teams as this is a 3A post site and that's what I keep up with but I will be at Cowboy stadium all weekend and I hope Cisco takes this team out. The kids at Refugio don't deserve it but that Douchebag of coach does.

Matthew328
12-14-2011, 10:43 AM
like I said, I agree with his theory about playing his starters longer etc to prep for the playoffs...I just think the stuff in the 4th quarter (with the backups in) is a bit uncalled for

hollywood
12-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I believe in playing hard for 4 qtrs but sportmanship has to be taken in consideration at some point. I can guarantee you they haven't faced a team like Cisco yet. Good teams, yes, but not as big, physical and pound it down your throat and run straight at you ball control type. I think Cisco has a lot to play for... being there 4 times in the last decade and not winning it. Look out Refugio, this could be your worst nightmare.

SintonFan
12-14-2011, 11:35 AM
:D http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/refugio :D

I can't believe you posted a link to a Spanishdict! :eek:

SintonFan
12-14-2011, 11:36 AM
Good article:
Bobcats defensive tackle had to grow up in a hurry in past year
http://www.caller.com/news/2011/dec/13/refugio-vows-to-win-state-for-donald-trevinos/

raider red 2000
12-14-2011, 12:56 PM
Well I watched the ESPN OTL clip and although I agree with some of what the coach at Refugio was saying he still came off as a Douchebag. No wonder the coaches down south don't care for him. It's one thing to let your players play and get your second team players in to get quality time but to jump up and down and chest bump (maybe b/c he was on TV) when your ahead by 50 seems a little stupid and over the top. I saw on the video where he called a time out while ahead by 42 so they could score again. I will say it again Douchebag!!

I have not idea about these teams as this is a 3A post site and that's what I keep up with but I will be at Cowboy stadium all weekend and I hope Cisco takes this team out. The kids at Refugio don't deserve it but that Douchebag of coach does.

i am glad that i know coach herring. I am glad that my kid is in his sunday school class. I think he does a whole bunch of good things for the kids, school, and town of refugio. I hope my son gets the chance to play for a dude like him some day.

also, he must be doing something right if he has this many people upset enough to call him a d-bag without even knowing him.

safe travels to all the folks going to watch some football this weekend or traveling for the Christmas break.

Briefcase
12-14-2011, 02:55 PM
i am glad that i know coach herring. I am glad that my kid is in his sunday school class. I think he does a whole bunch of good things for the kids, school, and town of refugio. I hope my son gets the chance to play for a dude like him some day.

also, he must be doing something right if he has this many people upset enough to call him a d-bag without even knowing him.

safe travels to all the folks going to watch some football this weekend or traveling for the Christmas break.

I totally supported him and agreed with his logic until he called a timeout in a game with 2 seconds up by 24 points and scores on last play to win by 31. That is just classless and uncalled for.

Red&White_9x5
12-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Good article:
http://www.caller.com/news/2011/dec/13/refugio-vows-to-win-state-for-donald-trevinos/

Great story about this young man. Coach Herring makes it real hard to root for Refugio with all of the antics he has pulled this season, but this young man's story makes it hard to not root for him and his teammates.

YTBulldogs
12-14-2011, 03:08 PM
I totally supported him and agreed with his logic until he called a timeout in a game with 2 seconds up by 24 points and scores on last play to win by 31. That is just classless and uncalled for.

Hopefully they'll only score 48 in this one then.

BullBoy
12-14-2011, 03:50 PM
Good article:

After reading that story I'm rooting for Refugio.

raider red 2000
12-14-2011, 04:12 PM
Hopefully they'll only score 48 in this one then.
as long as the other team has 47 or less then I am sure the refugio backers will be fine with it.

YTBulldogs
12-14-2011, 04:14 PM
as long as the other team has 47 or less then I am sure the refugio backers will be fine with it.

Knowing some of them like I do, no--they'll still be upset.

Phil C
12-14-2011, 04:28 PM

I agree. I don't think it's right to tell the second or third stringers not to do their best because they like to play and do good but it is things like that which indicate he is going to far as far as sportsmanship goes.

raider red 2000
12-14-2011, 05:10 PM
Knowing some of them like I do, no--they'll still be upset.

I know some/many Refugio fans are crazies.....but if any fan has a problem winning a state title by a small margin then they are idiots and have bigger problems in life than just football and scoring or not scoring enough.

YTBulldogs
12-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I know some/many Refugio fans are crazies.....but if any fan has a problem winning a state title by a small margin then they are idiots and have bigger problems in life than just football and scoring or not scoring enough.

I was referring to the fact some would be upset not getting that national scoring record by not scoring 49 points, even if they won 48-47. Not by the margin of victory.

Dogs_21
12-14-2011, 05:16 PM

Hempstead also !

sinfan75
12-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Does anybody have any stats on Cisco? Just tryin to get an idea of how they match up.

hollywood
12-14-2011, 11:30 PM
Does anybody have any stats on Cisco? Just tryin to get an idea of how they match up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcwkWKjWv18&feature=youtube_gdata_player

29-3aFAN
12-15-2011, 02:51 AM
Be sure to watch this game. Refugio is fun to watch, seen them twice this year. One word, Explosive!!! The Lexington game, I think their longest drive was 2 min. Most were, 80 yards, 2-3 plays, 30-40 sec. 3 dangerous RBS, 3 dangerous WRS, and a dangerous QB. Lexington shut their run game down last year, and that was all Refugio had last year. This year, Refugio used their gifted sophomore QB this year and threw bombs left and right for 400 yards passing, 4 tds, and rushed for 200 yards. If Cisco doesn't have a good secondary, this game could be decided by halftime.

29-3aFAN
12-15-2011, 03:01 AM
http://www.kristv.com/videoplayer/?video_id=19246&categories=77

http://www.kristv.com/news/1-refugio-blows-out-lexington-bobcats-move-onto-state-championship-game-to-face-cisco/#!prettyPhoto[gallery]/1/

12thMan
12-15-2011, 07:51 AM

I guess you were on the loosing end of one of these blowouts! Herring did say in the interview his feeling's would be hurt to if he lost by that much. Look...this man is trying to win a state championship...and their schedule don't help them any! What's wrong for chest bumping his players?? Football is an exciting sport!

He's a d-bag for wanting his players to play their very best all the time?? I don't think so! His teams in the past have lost in the playoffs because he's played by the "rule". Now, they are in the state game because he has stepped it up a notch! This team had to do what they did to prepare for a title run...there was no other way!

sinton66
12-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Yall may not know this, but Refugio has won a title in 3A before. Yes they are a 2A school but it is a football crazy town. No one should argue that Cisco will be the best team they've faced this year, they are in the SC afterall. BUT, the same is true for Cisco. Refugio will be the best team they've faced this year. Wouldn't surprize me a bit if Refugio wins.

garciap77
12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
I can't believe you posted a link to a Spanishdict! :eek:

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Sports/avt4.gif

garciap77
12-15-2011, 09:40 AM
'Mr. Satan'? Coach of Refugio Bobcats gets little respect in Cisco

"The rumor in town is that their coach is evil," ..................................

Say What!!!!!

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/dec/15/mr-satan-coach-of-refugio-bobcats-gets-little-in/

Getbackup
12-15-2011, 09:45 AM
I guess you were on the loosing end of one of these blowouts! Herring did say in the interview his feeling's would be hurt to if he lost by that much. Look...this man is trying to win a state championship...and their schedule don't help them any! What's wrong for chest bumping his players?? Football is an exciting sport!

He's a d-bag for wanting his players to play their very best all the time?? I don't think so! His teams in the past have lost in the playoffs because he's played by the "rule". Now, they are in the state game because he has stepped it up a notch! This team had to do what they did to prepare for a title run...there was no other way!

Read the post again "12thman". When you’re up by 50 and still chest bumping, then yes, that makes you a d-bag. There is nothing wrong with chest bumping, you are correct but up 40 or 50 points, NO! I love this game "Football" and believe it to be the best but its stuff like this that drives me crazy. Have you heard the term lose with class and win with class?

Also to let you know I don't live anywhere close to south Texas up North is where you will find me. I've not seen Refugio play one game this year but I will be at the State game. I understand that there are some people on this site that may know the coach from Refugio and say this guy is a standup guy and go to church with him. I'm not trying to tare down the coach as person just his coaching style. I can only look at the fruits he bares and from what I've seen and to me that does not look good. Perception is everything and he even said it himself that he would not want to be treated the way he has treated the other teams.

Hey good luck to both teams and I’m sure it will be a good game and can’t wait to watch it.

Red&White_9x5
12-15-2011, 09:58 AM
Point blank, we all know that as a coach winning games is important. But at the High School level equal or even more importance should be place on teaching the young men they coach lessons that will make them better men in the future. Sportsmanship and humility are two of these very important "lifelong" lessons that seem to be taken a backseat in Refugio this season IMO.

pirate4state
12-15-2011, 10:00 AM
'Mr. Satan'? Coach of Refugio Bobcats gets little respect in Cisco

"The rumor in town is that their coach is evil," ..................................

Say What!!!!!

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/dec/15/mr-satan-coach-of-refugio-bobcats-gets-little-in/

Yeah, that's a bit much. wow

hollywood
12-15-2011, 10:05 AM
Cisco
Avg pts 42 ppg
Totl yds 5558/397 ypg
Totl rush 4574/327 ypg
Totl pass 984/70 ypg
Totl 1st dns 267/19 pg

Opponents
Avg pts 12 ppg
Totl yds 2846/203 ypg
Totl rush 1458/104 ypg
Totl pass 1388/99 ypg
Totl 1st dns 144/10 pg

hollywood
12-15-2011, 10:19 AM
Cisco Loboes Roster

# Name Pos Yr Wt
3 Kaycee Ingram WR, DB Sr. 160
7 Colten Gayle QB, DB Jr. 160 21 TD's... 11 passing 9 rushing *only 4 INT's
10 Mason Reed RB, DB So. 185 24 TD's
11 Hayden Lewis RB, LB Sr. 170 22 TD's
14 Spencer Gassett WR, DB Jr. 150
15 Isaac Hamilton WR, DB Sr. 165
17 Josh McBride WR, DB Sr. 185
20 Zach Wilks WR, DB Sr. 150
21 Colten Kent WR, DB So. 150
22 Kyle Green WR, DB So. 150
25 Quintin Long RB, LB Jr. 170
31 Dustin Gassett RB, LB Sr. 165
33 Hunter Starr RB, LB Sr. 170
34 Jacob Christopher RB, LB Jr. 160
40 Vernon Owings RB, DL So. 195
42 Ethan Hammond RB, LB Sr. 185
50 Ethan Wells OL, DL Sr. 175
52 Jacob Avery OL, DL Sr. 240
62 Kaleb Rains OL, DL So. 180
66 Clifton Massey OL, DL Sr. 255
70 Derek Schaefer OL, DE Jr. 180
72 Dustin McBride OL, DL So. 190
73 Alex Yeley OL, DL Sr. 210
75 Reid Scroggins OL, DL Sr. 255
77 Logan Lewis OL, DL Sr. 225
83 Stephen White TE, DE Sr. 170
86 Austin Kent WR, DB Sr. 160
88 Heath Draper TE, DE Jr. 185

OL averages 240 lbs.. pretty good size for 2A

garciap77
12-15-2011, 10:24 AM
Cisco looks to contain Refugio's relentless offense..............

http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/dec/14/cisco-looks-to-contain-refugios-relentless/

pirate4state
12-15-2011, 12:59 PM
I CAN NOT WAIT!!!

Sounds like Cisco is gonna run right at them and from what I saw from Refugio in week 1 of the playoffs is they can be run right AT, but you better score because they will (usually) score in 2-3 plays lol. Now this could hurt them so I hope to see some time consuming drives of their own. Is it tomorrow yet? :D

SintonFan_inAustin
12-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Refugio vs Poth highlights

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZg1FWengR8

raider red 2000
12-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Point blank, we all know that as a coach winning games is important. But at the High School level equal or even more importance should be place on teaching the young men they coach lessons that will make them better men in the future. Sportsmanship and humility are two of these very important "lifelong" lessons that seem to be taken a backseat in Refugio this season IMO.

Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do the best that you are capable. - John Wooden

life lessons can be taught in wins and losses.

I think that having kids reach their potential is more important than worrying about some other kid's feelings. Thousands of people complain everyday about the fact that we, as a nation, try to make everything equal- our country gives handouts to people that dont work hard. Yet in athletics some team has a chance to be special and they and their coach catch flack for it.

There has to be a delicate balance in my opinon between doing right for your kids and still being considered a good sport. I dont know the right answer. It seems like many people on the internet know. I will take a football coach that knows how to win over some internet know it alls anyday.

Go Cats Go!!!

Red&White_9x5
12-15-2011, 04:27 PM
Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self satisfaction in knowing you made the effort to do the best that you are capable. - John Wooden

life lessons can be taught in wins and losses.

I think that having kids reach their potential is more important than worrying about some other kid's feelings. Thousands of people complain everyday about the fact that we, as a nation, try to make everything equal- our country gives handouts to people that dont work hard. Yet in athletics some team has a chance to be special and they and their coach catch flack for it.

There has to be a delicate balance in my opinon between doing right for your kids and still being considered a good sport. I dont know the right answer. It seems like many people on the internet know. I will take a football coach that knows how to win over some internet know it alls anyday.

Go Cats Go!!!

At what point did I say winning wasn't important??? There is a HUGE difference in teaching your kids to win with class and what has taken place in Refugio all year long. A coaches job is to try and get their kids prepared and in the best possible position to win. But a coach also has another job and that is to teach the young men they coach lessons that they will take with them and use for the rest of their life. Is humiliation, unsportsmanship, and kicking a man while their down/ rubbing their noses in defeat useful qualities and characteristics? Nobody, especially myself is finding fault in Refugio winning 15 ballgames. But I do question the manner and fashion their coach has asked his kids to act and play once victory has been achieved which has usually been in the first half or early second half. I am not in any way a "know it all", but there is right and wrong and I will call it like I see it!

Txbroadcaster
12-15-2011, 04:31 PM
At what point did I say winning wasn't important??? There is a HUGE difference in teaching your kids to win with class and what has taken place in Refugio all year long.

What does scoring points have to do with class?

south texas
12-15-2011, 04:33 PM
its very funny how much attention this team draws. they are very good and talented and i think so much of the spotlight is on Coach Herring and not on the kids. this is a school with almost 1A numbers and yet their offseason/summer numbers look more like a 4A school. everyone says that it is about the players and not the adults but it seems to me that it is more about the coaches and fans being upset. i have been on the bad end of some very one sided games and to be honest we forgot about them rather quickly as a player. we knew the other team was better and looking back now its actually pretty funny.

south texas
12-15-2011, 04:41 PM
like I said, I agree with his theory about playing his starters longer etc to prep for the playoffs...I just think the stuff in the 4th quarter (with the backups in) is a bit uncalled for

Very true matthew, some of it may be uncalled for but lets remember that this is not a typical 2A school with 20 players on the roster. there is alot of backups that work hard all week and when given the opportunity want to be successful as well. i mean does it really upset everyone so much more losing 82-6 instead of 60-6?

pirate4state
12-15-2011, 05:04 PM
Very true matthew, some of it may be uncalled for but lets remember that this is not a typical 2A school with 20 players on the roster. there is alot of backups that work hard all week and when given the opportunity want to be successful as well. i mean does it really upset everyone so much more losing 82-6 instead of 60-6?

apparently so ;) welcome south texas

hollywood
12-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Here's the deal... it's one thing to get full game experience for your players as the coach has stated. But when the coach is still screaming at the players in the 4th quarter and chest pumping and going balistic and the score is 70-0, come on. A little out of touch maybe?

Brownwood got ridiculed last season when they beat Iowa Park 88-24 because the IP coach was allowing his team to take late hits after the whistle. Coach Ship said you want to play that way then we'll keep scoring. But there wasn't a bunch of hoop and hollering going on... he just simply let the rains loose so to speak. If Refugio is that much better than evryone else... then just let them play 4 qtrs and do it respectfully. Power trippin' a little, maybe?

south texas
12-16-2011, 01:25 AM
thank you P4S. glad to be on here. dont know why i didnt join sooner

ExScoop
12-16-2011, 03:35 AM
I still can't believe Refugio turned in an erollment of only 205.
There are much many Class 2A towns with small populations and businesses.

A lot of other folks believed they hinged on turning in that figure.

I along with many others have lost all respect for Herring.

I'm rooting for his players to win the state title because that's what counts.

I'm sure several other coaches could accomplish this chance at Refugio and do it in a classier way