PDA

View Full Version : Question for Cowboys fans: why all the Romo hatred?

big daddy russ
12-12-2011, 12:44 AM
Just wondering. I don't watch much NFL (I have managed to catch half of three Cowboys games this year), but Romo's been stellar in every game--all losses. He was your best player tonight, but am wondering if this loss gets pinned on him.

Do I just not see the bigger picture or is this just an unwinnable situation for Romo?

Old Tiger
12-12-2011, 12:51 AM
Its the natural order for Cowboy fans

1. Blame Jerry
2. Blame Coach
3. Blame QB

3afan
12-12-2011, 01:36 AM
i for one have never blamed Jerry for a loss - what sense does that make?

alot of the Romo hate here is just shtick 'cause some know it can rile some people

buff4ever
12-12-2011, 11:04 AM
To put it as short as I can. Romo has just never given me the confidence that he is a gamer or a winner. He is a good stat guy, he generally plays safe. His positive side is he can usually extend plays, however when he extends plays he hits witten for 8 vs. Big Ben hits his receivers for 30 (just a random example of my frustrations of his safe play that stats well). He has blown more BIG (worthy oponent) games than he has won. He is a qb that most teams in this league would accept, but not the top 10 teams in the league.

I want to like him, and I want him to prove me wrong. Problem is, the few times he has tried to prove me wrong and maybe even gotten close, he ends up blowing it. This just further proves to me that my gut has been right on him from the start. We won't get to be America's team with Romo as our qb, unless something changes drastically. I expect, but hope I am wrong, that we are stuck in a rut as long as we think he can be the guy that takes us back to where we belong.

GrTigers6
12-12-2011, 11:08 AM
To put it as short as I can. Romo has just never given me the confidence that he is a gamer or a winner. He is a good stat guy, he generally plays safe. His positive side is he can usually extend plays, however when he extends plays he hits witten for 8 vs. Big Ben hits his receivers for 30 (just a random example of my frustrations of his safe play that stats well). He has blown more BIG (worthy oponent) games than he has won. He is a qb that most teams in this league would accept, but not the top 10 teams in the league.

I want to like him, and I want him to prove me wrong. Problem is, the few times he has tried to prove me wrong and maybe even gotten close, he ends up blowing it. This just further proves to me that my gut has been right on him from the start. We won't get to be America's team with Romo as our qb, unless something changes drastically. I expect, but hope I am wrong, that we are stuck in a rut as long as we think he can be the guy that takes us back to where we belong.he extended several big plays last night but you romo haters are just blinded. I know of 1 to robinson setting up a td and then the pass to bryant. and im pretty sure there were two or three others

buff4ever
12-12-2011, 11:10 AM
he extended several big plays last night but you romo haters are just blinded. I know of 1 to robinson setting up a td and then the pass to bryant. and im pretty sure there were two or three others

I said that extending plays is his bright side, do you not read well? He usually doesn't make the big play when he extends them was my only complaint. He extends the play and most of the time (not everytime) finds witten for 6 to 8 yards. You are determined to play dumb in order to try and make us others look dumb.

Gone Fishing
12-12-2011, 11:13 AM

1. Blame Jerry
2. Blame Coach
3. Blame QB

I disagree. Blame QB, then coach, then Jerry.

buff4ever
12-12-2011, 11:18 AM
I disagree. Blame QB, then coach, then Jerry.

Here is the deal, we are stuck with Jerry for a while, can't help that.

We just got Garret as Head Coach, he hasn't done bad, he hasn't done great. Jury is still out on him.

We have dealt with Romo for too long, and his non-gamer ways. How long do we have to watch him keep us a mediocre team with his play. Stats mean nothing to me if you blow it in the end.

That is my stance on the deal. No one is forced to agree with me, but no one can discredit me on the above either b/c it is basically fact.

GrTigers6
12-12-2011, 11:20 AM
I said that extending plays is his bright side, do you not read well? He usually doesn't make the big play when he extends them was my only complaint. He extends the play and most of the time (not everytime) finds witten for 6 to 8 yards. You are determined to play dumb in order to try and make us others look dumb.Noyou said and I quote " His positive side is he can usually extend plays, however when he extends plays he hits witten for 8 vs. Big Ben hits his receivers for 30 (just a random example of my frustrations of his safe play that stats well)."
You didnt say most of the time, I am just trying to wake all of you haters up to the fact that the struggles with the cowboys have very little to do with the qb./ Yes he has had his bonehead moments. Yes he makes a bad play now and then but that is all yall remember you dont remember the extended play for 35 yards setting up a first and goal. Or the 40 yard td pass after scrambling from pressure.
Romo is actually better than Aikman was at the play extensions. because if aikman had to move he usually got sacked

Old Tiger
12-12-2011, 11:22 AM
I disagree. Blame QB, then coach, then Jerry.Really because they've been blaming Jerry since 2000. Then they went through coaches and now they got a QB they blame him.

Macarthur
12-12-2011, 11:30 AM
While Romo has been the QB, he has been saddled with one of the worst HC's in the league in Wade. He has never had a consistently good defense. He's also never had a real good, consistent running game. The offense pretty much rests on his shoulders 100%.

The bigger issue is that this is the Cowboys and he is held up to the standard of Troy and Roger. Nevermind that those guys both had great coaches to take care of the other areas of the team.

The NFL is a chicken and egg thing in a lot of ways. Belicheck was a failure in Cleveland. All the sudden, Brady pops on the scene and he's a genius. I truly believe that if Romo were put on the Steelers for his career, the Steelers would have won a couple of SBs too with Romo. And I'm not saying that Romo is on the same level of Ben, I'm just saying that football is the ultimate team sport.

Bullaholic
12-12-2011, 11:32 AM
I don't hate Romo---I hate continued failure and mediocrity over a prolonged period by arguably the most famous NFL franchise of the modern area.

buff4ever
12-12-2011, 11:47 AM
Noyou said and I quote " His positive side is he can usually extend plays, however when he extends plays he hits witten for 8 vs. Big Ben hits his receivers for 30 (just a random example of my frustrations of his safe play that stats well)."
You didnt say most of the time, I am just trying to wake all of you haters up to the fact that the struggles with the cowboys have very little to do with the qb./ Yes he has had his bonehead moments. Yes he makes a bad play now and then but that is all yall remember you dont remember the extended play for 35 yards setting up a first and goal. Or the 40 yard td pass after scrambling from pressure.
Romo is actually better than Aikman was at the play extensions. because if aikman had to move he usually got sacked

Maybe you aren't playing dumb, maybe you are. What is the difference in USUALLY and MOST OF THE TIME? Don't get the argument, I guess you technically agree with me then. You can name a few instances where he has extended a play for great results, but most of the time it is for a 8 yard gain. If I see him throw 5 yards on 3rd and 10 to a covered up receiver again, I will likely start throwing things. Let's not try and say that romo was better than aikman at anything other than extending a play, you are treading towards the ultimate in unintelligent.

JJWalker
12-12-2011, 12:26 PM
Because Romo jinxes the Cowboys field goal kicker!

Emerson1
12-12-2011, 12:32 PM
Because Romo jinxes the Cowboys field goal kicker!
And allows the defense to once again, give up numerous fourth quarter touchdowns.

Trashman
12-12-2011, 12:39 PM
Last nights failure was all on the defense, mostly the secondary.

JJWalker
12-12-2011, 12:41 PM
And allows the defense to once again, give up numerous fourth quarter touchdowns.
Excellent point!

BEAST
12-12-2011, 12:43 PM
Dallas is 7-6. They SHOULD be 9-4. The last 2 weeks have NOT been his fault. Granted, the Boys could be 11-2, I put the Jets loss almost 100% on Romo and the Detroit loss about 90% on Romo.

BEAST

GrTigers6
12-12-2011, 12:45 PM
Maybe you aren't playing dumb, maybe you are. What is the difference in USUALLY and MOST OF THE TIME? Don't get the argument, I guess you technically agree with me then. You can name a few instances where he has extended a play for great results, but most of the time it is for a 8 yard gain. If I see him throw 5 yards on 3rd and 10 to a covered up receiver again, I will likely start throwing things. Let's not try and say that romo was better than aikman at anything other than extending a play, you are treading towards the ultimate in unintelligent.I named 3 plays from yesterday not the season.

Macarthur
12-12-2011, 12:46 PM
Dallas is 7-6. They SHOULD be 9-4. The last 2 weeks have NOT been his fault. Granted, the Boys could be 11-2, I put the Jets loss almost 100% on Romo and the Detroit loss about 90% on Romo.

BEAST

Actually, I would flip that Det/NY game. I would put a little less blame on him for the NY game because of the blocked punt. If that blocked punt doesn't happen, they're not even throwing the ball on the series that Reavis had the pick.

BEAST
12-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Actually, I would flip that Det/NY game. I would put a little less blame on him for the NY game because of the blocked punt. If that blocked punt doesn't happen, they're not even throwing the ball on the series that Reavis had the pick.

Either way, all I am getting at is yes he has had some games that he cost them, but the rest of the team has had some as well.

For the haters I ask, which NFL Qb, that would be available, would you trade Romo for. Dont say Brady and the likes because they wont be available.

BEAST

STANG RED
12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
I cant put a lot of blame on Romo's shoulders for most of the Cowboy's failures of late. He's been putting up enough points to win for the most part. He's put them in position to win or go into OT the last couple of weeks, but others have failed. The D couldnt hold a double digit lead, late in the 4th last night. Sure he's made some mistakes along the way, but he's also played well enough in most instances to get the win. I just dont think the Cowboys have enough true leaders on or off the field.

Pendragon13
12-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I personally distribute the blame evenly among these people..

Romo- the endzone stumble that resulted in a safety was bigger than it looked, and missing a wide open Miles Austin at the end
Ware- 2 offsides when we had the Giants pretty much stopped with time running out? Inexcuseable..
Newman- couldn't cover his own grandma last night, and got blocked out of making tackles most of the night
Felix Jones- ran really well coming off the bench, but the fumble inside the 20 resulted in Giants points
Jenkins- has he played in two consecutive games..EVER? Made out of glass apparently...plays decently when on the field, but that is rare.
Ryan- Calling non-stop all out blitzes late in the 4th when they hadn't worked all game long...made it easy for Manning to find someone open every time.

Eagle 1
12-12-2011, 01:36 PM

I want to like him, and I want him to prove me wrong. Problem is, the few times he has tried to prove me wrong and maybe even gotten close, he ends up blowing it. This just further proves to me that my gut has been right on him from the start. We won't get to be America's team with Romo as our qb, unless something changes drastically. I expect, but hope I am wrong, that we are stuck in a rut as long as we think he can be the guy that takes us back to where we belong.

Since this is suppose to be a ROMO thread and NOT what's wrong with the defense or the rest of the team, I just want to say ditto to buffs post and add, when Romo wins some big playoff games and possibly a superbowl then I may eat crow and say he his a good qb, but most importantly a TEAM LEADER.
Definition of Leadership: The Army defines leadership as influencing people by providing purpose, direction, and motivation, while operating to accomplish the mission and improve the organization. The same can be said here.
While at times Romo may provide purpose, direction, and motivation, he doesn't always "operate" to accomplish the mission (to win games) and improve the organization.
Leaders find ways to overcome obstacles', and in this case win games. Romo just doesn't seem to do that when the game is on the line MOST of the time.
Just my take on Romo, agree or not I don't care.

GrTigers6
12-12-2011, 01:42 PM
Since this is suppose to be a ROMO thread and NOT what's wrong with the defense or the rest of the team, I just want to say ditto to buffs post and add, when Romo wins some big playoff games and possibly a superbowl then I may eat crow and say he his a good qb, but most importantly a TEAM LEADER.
Definition of Leadership: The Army defines leadership as influencing people by providing purpose, direction, and motivation, while operating to accomplish the mission and improve the organization. The same can be said here.
While at times Romo may provide purpose, direction, and motivation, he doesn't always "operate" to accomplish the mission (to win games) and improve the organization.
Leaders find ways to overcome obstacles', and in this case win games. Romo just doesn't seem to do that when the game is on the line MOST of the time.
Just my take on Romo, agree or not I don't care.So what your saying is that Romo should play defense as well!:D

Eagle 1
12-12-2011, 01:44 PM
So what your saying is that Romo should play defense as well!:D

Nope, if you read my post, my first line was: Since this is suppose to be a ROMO thread and NOT what's wrong with the defense or the rest of the team,

GrTigers6
12-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Nope, if you read my post, my first line was: Since this is suppose to be a ROMO thread and NOT what's wrong with the defense or the rest of the team,You also said he doesnt do enough to win. the only other thing he could have done was stop NY from scoring

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2011, 01:46 PM
You also said he doesnt do enough to win. the only other thing he could have done was stop NY from scoring

What is also being missed is the fact Romo after the Giants take the lead still drove Dallas into FG territory

Eagle 1
12-12-2011, 01:48 PM
I also left out the fact that in the close games this year Romo didn't close the deal, but hey you already knew that.

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2011, 01:51 PM
I also left out the fact that in the close games this year Romo didn't close the deal, but hey you already knew that.

you mean like the 4 game winning drives?

Emerson1
12-12-2011, 01:52 PM
Yep the close game last night was all Romo's fault.

regaleagle
12-12-2011, 02:49 PM
Sounds like to me all the Romo disbelievers think that Drew Brees could take this team deep into the playoffs, and perhaps a Super Bowl. I disagree. Given the same support system Romo currently has, I truly believe Brees, Brady, and Eli Manning would also fail with this team.

Emerson1
12-12-2011, 02:51 PM
Sounds like to me all the Romo disbelievers think that Drew Brees could take this team deep into the playoffs, and perhaps a Super Bowl. I disagree. Given the same support system Romo currently has, I truly believe Brees, Brady, and Eli Manning would also fail with this team.
What are you talking about? According to Farmers Fan Dallas has top 5 talent at every position. Except OLB cause D Ware isn't even a top 25 linebacker.

regaleagle
12-12-2011, 02:56 PM
Even Houton's third stringer has more time to throw. Why? A better line and a running game that makes the qb's job much easier. Not even talking defense here, just offense.

Saggy Aggie
12-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Romo had what 300 yards, 4 tds?

But he didn't play well enough to give his defense a big enough cushion so they wouldn't blow it.

Hell, idc if it was Tom Brady qb'n the cowboys... They'd have still lost cuz their defense blows. Romo got the cowboys up by 12 in the 4th.... Giants come back scoring 15 on the defense.

Romo comes back on the field, throws 2 beautiful passes and gets dallas in fg range, yet the kicker can't come thru.

All his fault tho.

Eagle 1
12-12-2011, 06:56 PM
you mean like the 4 game winning drives?

Nope, I'm talking about the close games we lost.

Let me ask you this, and give me your honest answer.
If Tony had thrown a good pass to Miles and he caught it and scored, do you think we would have won the game?
A simple yes or no will do.
Think about it for a while.

Why does people keep bringing up the defense in this thread?
The title of the tread is:

Question for Cowboys fans: why all the Romo hatred?

GrTigers6
12-12-2011, 07:19 PM
Nope, I'm talking about the close games we lost.

If Tony had thrown a good pass to Miles and he caught it and scored, do you think we would have won the game?

Why does people keep bringing up the defense in this thread?
The title of the tread is:no, the defense would have just given up another td to lose.
Oh and by the way "no" is too short to post:D

Eagle 1
12-12-2011, 07:33 PM
no, the defense would have just given up another td to lose.
Oh and by the way "no" is too short to post:D

There you go bringing up the defense again, on a Romo thread. A little A.D.D. maybe?

Even Jason Garrett said on the news just now that they need to work "execution" down the stretch and guess which play they showed.
Yep the incomplete pass from Romo.

GrTigers6
12-12-2011, 07:47 PM
There you go bringing up the defense again, on a Romo thread. A little A.D.D. maybe?

Even Jason Garrett said on the news just now that they need to work "execution" down the stretch and guess which play they showed.
Yep the incomplete pass from Romo.You left me no choice. If Austin scored then romo would have had no more to do with it. It would be up to the .... Well "defense" LOL

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2011, 07:56 PM

Yep the incomplete pass from Romo.

The thread is about Romo but your question is not. Execution is not just Romo, but the D, the special teams and Austin( who friggin said he lost it in the lights)

big daddy russ
12-12-2011, 08:05 PM
The thread is about Romo but your question is not. Execution is not just Romo, but the D, the special teams and Austin( who friggin said he lost it in the lights)
I don't know if it was just me or not, but it didn't look like Austin accelerated on that play. Looked like he was in a spot to accelerate and separate from the defender much earlier, but the announcers hung it on Romo. Maybe it was Romo's fault, but lost it in the lights lines up perfectly, too.

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2011, 08:11 PM
I don't know if it was just me or not, but it didn't look like Austin accelerated on that play. Looked like he was in a spot to accelerate and separate from the defender much earlier, but the announcers hung it on Romo. Maybe it was Romo's fault, but lost it in the lights lines up perfectly, too.

you can see in the video Mac posted, Austin adjusts his head a couple of times in trying to locate the ball

bobcat1
12-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I think Romo played pretty good yesterday especially since Miles and Dessie played the disppearing act against that lousy Giant secondary. Miles could have went and got that pass but I bet money he was scared for his little hammy. I don't buy the lost in the lights BS.

Eagle 1
12-12-2011, 08:53 PM

When they talked about execution, they showed the play. One would assume that was what Garrett was talking about when he said "execution".

You never answered my question. Maybe your still thinking.

Macarthur
12-12-2011, 09:18 PM
When they talked about execution, they showed the play. One would assume that was what Garrett was talking about when he said "execution".

It's a loaded question and a straw man. You're question assumes all it takes on a play like that is for the QB to throw the ball to a correct location. Youre not taking into consideration adjustments that have to be made by WRs all the time. A complete pass is hardly ever just the QB making a perfect throw to a specific spot.

If you watch the video (I have about 10 times), it is very clear that miles was 'surprised' by that ball. And he made no physical adjustment or even an attempt to catch it until the very last second.

So, yes, if the pass is complete, the cowboys most likely win. However, I disagree with your premise that romo was at fault.

Txbroadcaster
12-12-2011, 09:20 PM

so because the news showed the clip that means that is what Garrett was talking about? Garrett does not tell the news what to show..when NFL network showed the interview they showed the block FG

of course they win..you can also do the same on about 15 different plays..you taking that one and using it does not make you more right or wrong

Eagle 1
12-12-2011, 09:21 PM
I said a simple yes or no.

Yes we win.

Case closed.

Eagle 1
12-12-2011, 09:27 PM
so because the news showed the clip that means that is what Garrett was talking about? Garrett does not tell the news what to show..when NFL network showed the interview they showed the block FG

of course they win..you can also do the same on about 15 different plays..you taking that one and using it does not make you more right or wrong

Tony Dungy used that one play, so I guess you know more than him?

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 01:19 AM
Tony Dungy used that one play, so I guess you know more than him?

I know no more or no less that him, because neither of us are Romo or Austin...dungy has said some VERY VERY stupid things in the past, just because he won a SB does not mean everything he says is gold it just means he has a point of view

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 10:04 AM
The thing that baffles me so much about this subject is the venom so many people have about it! I can speak from experience that anytime you mention a negative about Tony Romo you can expect an attack from those who like him. I don't see this kind of reaction about any other player on this team or any other team. So why is it so about Romo? I personally think that Tony Romo has earned the respect of all those people who like him while at the same time he has done enough to lend credence to what the "haters" say! So all those people who have a strong opinion about Romo either way find themselves defending or denouncing him not only to other people but inwardly in their own mind. The inward doubts cause the extreme outward aggression about this subject! Much like how vehemently a Christian will defend his position about Christianity because inwardly he understands how fragile that position is. I admit I find myself at times wondering why I dislike Tony so much. This game is a perfect example. Tony finished with a 141 QB rating which is amazing so my first impression is "why the hell am I not happy with that"? In order to re-enforce my previous opinion I need to look deeper and that's when I find the small indicators of a lack of leadership and the silly arguments about him missing a single play out of the entire game. But then again all the Romo supporters will use a single play against every other player on the team except Romo so I then feel vindicated. It's a snowball effect I think. If all the Romo supporters would simply say Romo is the best we can get and let it be instead launching into a campaign to convert every single Romo hater this thing would die a quick death. I honestly think most haters would eventually see that although he has his flaws he is probably the best we are likely to get and learn to accept him. But having to defend a negative opinion at every single turn has created a monster that has people grasping at every single little nonsensical flaw that Romo has. I personally don't like his off field and on field personna and honestly feel he has very little leadership qualities and that is a death sentence for a football team in the long haul. And we have seen the long slow march of mediocrity of this team since Romo took over as the franchise QB and savior! Where we place this blame should be our right as fans. I could place 100% of the blame on Jerry or the coaches and wouldn't get many arguments from even those people who think I am wrong. But blame Romo and it's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 10:06 AM
I know no more or no less that him, because neither of us are Romo or Austin...dungy has said some VERY VERY stupid things in the past, just because he won a SB does not mean everything he says is gold it just means he has a point of view

Really? You think you know as much about Professional Football as Tony Dungy does? I think you just told us all we need to know TXB..................................

GrTigers6
12-13-2011, 10:24 AM
The thing that baffles me so much about this subject is the venom so many people have about it! I can speak from experience that anytime you mention a negative about Tony Romo you can expect an attack from those who like him. I don't see this kind of reaction about any other player on this team or any other team. So why is it so about Romo? I personally think that Tony Romo has earned the respect of all those people who like him while at the same time he has done enough to lend credence to what the "haters" say! So all those people who have a strong opinion about Romo either way find themselves defending or denouncing him not only to other people but inwardly in their own mind. The inward doubts cause the extreme outward aggression about this subject! Much like how vehemently a Christian will defend his position about Christianity because inwardly he understands how fragile that position is. I admit I find myself at times wondering why I dislike Tony so much. This game is a perfect example. Tony finished with a 141 QB rating which is amazing so my first impression is "why the hell am I not happy with that"? In order to re-enforce my previous opinion I need to look deeper and that's when I find the small indicators of a lack of leadership and the silly arguments about him missing a single play out of the entire game. But then again all the Romo supporters will use a single play against every other player on the team except Romo so I then feel vindicated. It's a snowball effect I think. If all the Romo supporters would simply say Romo is the best we can get and let it be instead launching into a campaign to convert every single Romo hater this thing would die a quick death. I honestly think most haters would eventually see that although he has his flaws he is probably the best we are likely to get and learn to accept him. But having to defend a negative opinion at every single turn has created a monster that has people grasping at every single little nonsensical flaw that Romo has. I personally don't like his off field and on field personna and honestly feel he has very little leadership qualities and that is a death sentence for a football team in the long haul. And we have seen the long slow march of mediocrity of this team since Romo took over as the franchise QB and savior! Where we place this blame should be our right as fans. I could place 100% of the blame on Jerry or the coaches and wouldn't get many arguments from even those people who think I am wrong. But blame Romo and it's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!I get frustrated with Romo some too, But I get more aggravated when he misses one pass ( which to me looked like austin should have been able to dive and catch) and yall crucify him.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 10:30 AM
Really? You think you know as much about Professional Football as Tony Dungy does? I think you just told us all we need to know TXB..................................

Seeing as that is not what I said..but whatever

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Seeing as that is not what I said..but whatever

Quote from TXB: "I know no more or no less than he knows"! Doesn't this indicate that you believe you know exactly the same? You are claiming that you know just as much about Professional Football and what it takes to be successful in Professional Football as someone who has spent his entire life in Professional Football as a player and as a coach of players! If you are questioning his reasons for saying something I can understand it but even you aren't arrogant enough to think you can match Tony Dungy in the knowledge of Professional Football dept................. or are you?

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Quote from TXB: "I know no more or no less than he knows"! Doesn't this indicate that you believe you know exactly the same? You are claiming that you know just as much about Professional Football and what it takes to be successful in Professional Football as someone who has spent his entire life in Professional Football as a player and as a coach of players! If you are questioning his reasons for saying something I can understand it but even you aren't arrogant enough to think you can match Tony Dungy in the knowledge of Professional Football dept................. or are you?

wow u take my quote and chop it come on FF

I said
I know no more or no less that him, because neither of us are Romo or Austin

you know exactly what that means

Macarthur
12-13-2011, 11:17 AM
The thing that baffles me so much about this subject is the venom so many people have about it! I can speak from experience that anytime you mention a negative about Tony Romo you can expect an attack from those who like him. I don't see this kind of reaction about any other player on this team or any other team. So why is it so about Romo? I personally think that Tony Romo has earned the respect of all those people who like him while at the same time he has done enough to lend credence to what the "haters" say! So all those people who have a strong opinion about Romo either way find themselves defending or denouncing him not only to other people but inwardly in their own mind. The inward doubts cause the extreme outward aggression about this subject! Much like how vehemently a Christian will defend his position about Christianity because inwardly he understands how fragile that position is. I admit I find myself at times wondering why I dislike Tony so much. This game is a perfect example. Tony finished with a 141 QB rating which is amazing so my first impression is "why the hell am I not happy with that"? In order to re-enforce my previous opinion I need to look deeper and that's when I find the small indicators of a lack of leadership and the silly arguments about him missing a single play out of the entire game. But then again all the Romo supporters will use a single play against every other player on the team except Romo so I then feel vindicated. It's a snowball effect I think. If all the Romo supporters would simply say Romo is the best we can get and let it be instead launching into a campaign to convert every single Romo hater this thing would die a quick death. I honestly think most haters would eventually see that although he has his flaws he is probably the best we are likely to get and learn to accept him. But having to defend a negative opinion at every single turn has created a monster that has people grasping at every single little nonsensical flaw that Romo has. I personally don't like his off field and on field personna and honestly feel he has very little leadership qualities and that is a death sentence for a football team in the long haul. And we have seen the long slow march of mediocrity of this team since Romo took over as the franchise QB and savior! Where we place this blame should be our right as fans. I could place 100% of the blame on Jerry or the coaches and wouldn't get many arguments from even those people who think I am wrong. But blame Romo and it's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG!!!!!

The way you post this stuff makes it kinda hard to read like it is all in one paragraph.

I agree with several of your points here.

I think my biggest thing that I try to express is that while I agree Tony has flaws, I just ask those that like to hammer Tony, use the same criteria for other QBs. I repeatedly see the national media shows time after time talk about Tony and his meltdowns. When in reality, the stats show that he is actually THE best active QB in 4th qtr QB rating. The BEST. I know he has had a couple of high profile meltdowns, but so have other QBs. Of course, those talking heads fail to point out the others. I just think he's graded on a different curve than other QBs.

I guarantee that if the incompletion to Austin had happened to another top QB, they would be focusing on the how the defense couldn't stop anything instead of that incompletion. I truly believe that.

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 11:21 AM
I get frustrated with Romo some too, But I get more aggravated when he misses one pass ( which to me looked like austin should have been able to dive and catch) and yall crucify him.

Wouldn't that be the polar opposite of ya'll EXCUSING him for not completling that pass? Even the commentators said multiple times that it was a pass that a Pro QB MUST make! Especially considering the impact on the game it would have had at that point. And I didn't see anyone "crucify" anybody. I saw a lot of people explaining why the loss was just as much Romo's fault as it was anyone else's! You guys are the ONLY one's trying to excuse anyone from taking any blame. That's all...........

GrTigers6
12-13-2011, 11:31 AM
Wouldn't that be the polar opposite of ya'll EXCUSING him for not completling that pass? Even the commentators said multiple times that it was a pass that a Pro QB MUST make! Especially considering the impact on the game it would have had at that point. And I didn't see anyone "crucify" anybody. I saw a lot of people explaining why the loss was just as much Romo's fault as it was anyone else's! You guys are the ONLY one's trying to excuse anyone from taking any blame. That's all...........Even Brad sham said during the broadcast that he thought Austin was gonna get to it. And putting any blame on Romo for the Giant loss is completely absurd. That is my frustration. He played nearly perfect according to the measuring statistics. This loss was all on the defense. If the defense gets the ball back then Romo wouldnt have had to make that pass in the first place. they would have just ran it one more time and punted if they didnt get the first down. So how you could put any blame on Romo is beyond me. and If you continue to say its part his fault then I guess I will just have to say that we disagree.

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 11:33 AM
The way you post this stuff makes it kinda hard to read like it is all in one paragraph.

I think my biggest thing that I try to express is that while I agree Tony has flaws, I just ask those that like to hammer Tony, use the same criteria for other QBs. I repeatedly see the national media shows time after time talk about Tony and his meltdowns. When in reality, the stats show that he is actually THE best active QB in 4th qtr QB rating. The BEST. I know he has had a couple of high profile meltdowns, but so have other QBs. Of course, those talking heads fail to point out the others. I just think he's graded on a different curve than other QBs.

I guarantee that if the incompletion to Austin had happened to another top QB, they would be focusing on the how the defense couldn't stop anything instead of that incompletion. I truly believe that.

It is all in one paragraph! What can I do differently to make it more understandable? I have a ton of thoughts and most of the time getting them down in writing in a understandable way is my biggest obstacle.

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 11:44 AM
[QUOTE=GrTigers6;1650542. And putting any blame on Romo for the Giant loss is completely absurd. [/QUOTE]

In your opinion! You have been given many, many, many rational and well thought out reasons why others don't share that opinion! The question is why can't you get beyond it?

cowboyandchrist
12-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Just wondering. I don't watch much NFL (I have managed to catch half of three Cowboys games this year), but Romo's been stellar in every game--all losses. He was your best player tonight, but am wondering if this loss gets pinned on him.

Do I just not see the bigger picture or is this just an unwinnable situation for Romo?
You can not miss a wide open reciever with nobody within 10 yards when the game is on the line. If he was a rookie, that would be different. Troy A. would have made that throw lefted handed. Tony is a good NFL Q/B but will never lead the Cowboys to a super bowl. 1 because they have no Defense, 2 Jerry will not stay out of the drafting business, 3 no coach will ever be in complete command of this team, there are more reasons, just to many to name.

GrTigers6
12-13-2011, 11:58 AM
You can not miss a wide open reciever with nobody within 10 yards when the game is on the line. If he was a rookie, that would be different. Troy A. would have made that throw lefted handed. Tony is a good NFL Q/B but will never lead the Cowboys to a super bowl. 1 because they have no Defense, 2 Jerry will not stay out of the drafting business, 3 no coach will ever be in complete command of this team, there are more reasons, just to many to name.Well by using those excuses then no QB will take the Cowboys to the super bowl

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 11:58 AM

I think maybe I should ask you if you believe those people "who like to hammer Tony Romo" and not other QBs in the NFL suddenly decided to do so without any rhyme or reason? Was it a NFL wide mandate that they should give Romo different treatment than they do the other QBs in the league? I think the Commisioner must have sent out a message to everyone that they should concentrate on Tony Romo's bad December record and compare it to his great November record. I think someone somewhere must have told them that although ALL OTHER QBs have had the same kind of meltdowns as Romo has had they should only concentrate on his and his alone....................

Sorry Mac! Just trying to make you see how silly your comment is. Where there is smoke-there is fire! Romo has produced enough smoke in his career to make the media and fans alike acknowledge it! To say otherwise is the grandfather of all excuse making!

Phil C
12-13-2011, 11:59 AM
:eek:

Perish the thought.

:(

Macarthur
12-13-2011, 12:05 PM
I think maybe I should ask you if you believe those people "who like to hammer Tony Romo" and not other QBs in the NFL suddenly decided to do so without any rhyme or reason? Was it a NFL wide mandate that they should give Romo different treatment than they do the other QBs in the league? I think the Commisioner must have sent out a message to everyone that they should concentrate on Tony Romo's bad December record and compare it to his great November record. I think someone somewhere must have told them that although ALL OTHER QBs have had the same kind of meltdowns as Romo has had they should only concentrate on his and his alone....................

Sorry Mac! Just trying to make you see how silly your comment is. Where there is smoke-there is fire! Romo has produced enough smoke in his career to make the media and fans alike acknowledge it! To say otherwise is the grandfather of all excuse making!

I am not making excuses. My comment is far from silly.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 12:13 PM
Romo gets it more FF because A. He plays for Dallas, we all know they will always fly higher and fall harder in the media because of the local and national coverage.

B His career started so fast, he stepped in and boom Dallas is a better team, he took that first step so quick that people have expected that 2nd step to be just as quick..when he finally got the 2nd step, people now think the 3rd step should have already happen.

I have always said the worst thing that happen to Romo was the 2007 season..That team was good, but not 13-3 good but people put Romo on that big pedestal that he was the next great one in line for Dallas..when what happen in 08 ( even though the main reason they dont make the play offs was Romo being hurt) on the field and off with TO accusing Romo and Witten of freezing him out, the Philly disaster etc people rushed to tear him down and blame all the team mistakes and problems on him.

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Romo gets it more FF because A. He plays for Dallas, we all know they will always fly higher and fall harder in the media because of the local and national coverage.

B His career started so fast, he stepped in and boom Dallas is a better team, he took that first step so quick that people have expected that 2nd step to be just as quick..when he finally got the 2nd step, people now think the 3rd step should have already happen.

I have always said the worst thing that happen to Romo was the 2007 season..That team was good, but not 13-3 good but people put Romo on that big pedestal that he was the next great one in line for Dallas..when what happen in 08 ( even though the main reason they dont make the play offs was Romo being hurt) on the field and off with TO accusing Romo and Witten of freezing him out, the Philly disaster etc people rushed to tear him down and blame all the team mistakes and problems on him.

I think you over-hype the "playing for Dallas Cowboys" thing. The only thing the Dallas Cowboys mean to most of the world is 20 years of mediocrity. but you are perpetuating the myth by assuming negatives about Tony Romo must be because of WHO he plays for intead of based on his play alone!

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM
I think you over-hype the "playing for Dallas Cowboys" thing. The only thing the Dallas Cowboys mean to most of the world is 20 years of mediocrity. but you are perpetuating the myth by assuming negatives about Tony Romo must be because of WHO he plays for intead of based on his play alone!

and I think ur vastly understating it...the fact they struggled so much before Romo even hammers the point more..he was the guy leading the proud franchise back...just look at the ratings..the 6 highest rated SNF of all time are all Cowboy games..this team even when 5-11 was still one of the most talked about teams

Macarthur
12-13-2011, 12:37 PM

So you don't think there's anything to the Cowboys thing? You don't think there's anything to the fact that they still 'given 20 years of mediocrity' they sell more merchandise than anyone? Their games are always the highest rated games of the year for the networks? So in your mind, there's nothing to the Cowboys being a huge story? There's nothing to the fact that profootballtalk.com has admitted that when they have 'polarizing' stories about the Cowboys on their website, it drives more traffic?

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Personally, I don't care what anybody else thinks about Romo, I gave up on him in the Detroit game.
It has nothing to do with anybody on here. In my book he is just a "good" qb at times and "horrible" at others. Neither of which do I want to be the qb of the Cowboys. He may be the best we have for NOW, but that doesn't mean I have to like him.
Some of you guys that defend him go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb at times.
Hell I'm not blind, he over threw a wide open receiver. It has nothing to do with lights or any other bs you guys want to dream up.
LOL...I can't believe somebody on a little 3A downlow mb THINKS they know more than an ex-nfl coach who has a super bowl ring. Hilarious.

GrTigers6
12-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Personally, I don't care what anybody else thinks about Romo, I gave up on him in the Detroit game.
It has nothing to do with anybody on here. In my book he is just a "good" qb at times and "horrible" at others. Neither of which do I want to be the qb of the Cowboys. He may be the best we have for NOW, but that doesn't mean I have to like him.
Some of you guys that defend him go waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out on a limb at times.
Hell I'm not blind, he over threw a wide open receiver. It has nothing to do with lights or any other bs you guys want to dream up.
LOL...I can't believe somebody on a little 3A downlow mb THINKS they know more than an ex-nfl coach who has a super bowl ring. Hilarious.So your saying that no great qb misses a wide open receiver! Thats ridiculous

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 01:20 PM
. Hilarious.

hmm did not say that..not even close

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 02:11 PM

Spin it how you want.

So your saying that no great qb misses a wide open receiver! Thats ridiculous

I'm not sure what your point is, but I didn't say Romo was a "great" qb.
I said he is good at times and horrible at others.
The topic has nothing to do with any other qb's.

big daddy russ
12-13-2011, 02:29 PM
Let me rephrase my original post: even with the missed pass Romo was THE best player for the Cowboys Sunday night. Let's get that out of the way from someone with no bias in this argument--just someone looking for opinions.

Having said that, he's no Peyton Manning. We all know that. But he's definitely on the next tier of QB's.

What I think I'm hearing is that his streakiness (apparently, he goes from great to goat in 3.2 seconds) is what everyone both likes and dislikes about him? Is that right?

Again, I don't watch enough games to make an informed opinion. I've seen three halves in which he was football Jesus for the 'Boys. What I see is a team that, if they replaced Romo for, say, Matt Hasselbeck (a respected QB who's maybe a third-tier guy) they'd win five games all year. But what it seems like the naysayers are saying is that Romo gets in his own way sometimes.

GrTigers6
12-13-2011, 02:37 PM
Spin it how you want.

I'm not sure what your point is, but I didn't say Romo was a "great" qb.
I said he is good at times and horrible at others.
The topic has nothing to do with any other qb's.You were using one missed pass as a reason for him being mediocre. He is far from mediocre

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 02:46 PM
You were using one missed pass as a reason for him being mediocre. He is far from mediocre

No. It has nothing to do with just the one pass he missed the other night.
If you read my post, I said the Detroit games with all the picks was the turning point for me.
I also said when Romo wins some big playoff games and possibly a superbowl then I may eat crow and say he his a good qb, but most importantly a TEAM LEADER.

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 02:57 PM
Give up. Eagle 1 has been delusional A LOT longer then Farmers Fan has.

Bullaholic
12-13-2011, 03:11 PM
Let me rephrase my original post: even with the missed pass Romo was THE best player for the Cowboys Sunday night. Let's get that out of the way from someone with no bias in this argument--just someone looking for opinions.

Having said that, he's no Peyton Manning. We all know that. But he's definitely on the next tier of QB's.

What I think I'm hearing is that his streakiness (apparently, he goes from great to goat in 3.2 seconds) is what everyone both likes and dislikes about him? Is that right?

Again, I don't watch enough games to make an informed opinion. I've seen three halves in which he was football Jesus for the 'Boys. What I see is a team that, if they replaced Romo for, say, Matt Hasselbeck (a respected QB who's maybe a third-tier guy) they'd win five games all year. But what it seems like the naysayers are saying is that Romo gets in his own way sometimes.

Russ...

I'll try to respond by giving my take on why a lot of Cowboy fans, including me occasionaly, are so rough on Tony Romo.

The Dallas Cowboys are arguably the most-celebrated and high-profile NFL franchise of the modern era which has enjoyed tremendous success on the field during the 70's-90's, had an All-American image, and by virtue of that success and successful All-American image, acquired the "America's Team" moniker somewhere along the way. Cowboy fans grew accustomed to this level of success and personification of excellence. It has now been some 14 seasons since Cowboys fans have had anything substansial on which to brag or sustain the "America's Team" image. Quite simply--Cowboys fans are looking desperately for a saviour---someone---anyone, who can restore the glory days. These expectations have been largely dashed season after season for too long, and anyone-- be they player or coach, who fails to deliver after Cowboys fans have faith in them as a deliverer, pays an inordinately high price. Such is the case of Tony Romo, and I admit that I let my own personal frustrations show with a vengance sometimes because of this--I too, long for the return of the Cowboy glory days. Anyhow, I hope this is the kind of input you were looking for in this thread, Russ. Go Cowboys!

Macarthur
12-13-2011, 03:18 PM
Russ...

I'll try to respond by giving my take on why a lot of Cowboy fans, including me occasionaly, are so rough on Tony Romo.

The Dallas Cowboys are arguably the most-celebrated and high-profile NFL franchise of the modern era which has enjoyed tremendous success on the field during the 70's-90's, had an All-American image, and by virtue of that success and successful All-American image, acquired the "America's Team" moniker somewhere along the way. Cowboy fans grew accustomed to this level of success and personification of excellence. It has now been some 14 seasons since Cowboys fans have had anything substansial on which to brag or sustain the "America's Team" image. Quite simply--Cowboys fans are looking desperately for a saviour---someone---anyone, who can restore the glory days. These expectations have been largely dashed season after season for too long, and anyone-- be they player or coach, who fails to deliver after Cowboys fans have faith in them as a deliverer, pays an inordinately high price. Such is the case of Tony Romo, and I admit that I let my own personal frustrations show with a vengance sometimes because of this--I too, long for the return of the Cowboy glory days. Anyhow, I hope this is the kind of input you were looking for in this thread, Russ. Go Cowboys!

And here in lies the problem. You have all but admitted that your expectations are too high.

The Cowboys are functioning in a different NFL world than they were even in the Triplet days. The glory days of the Cowboys are not a realistic expectation in today's NFL. Unless you get a Manning or Brady or Rodgers, it's incredibly difficult to build dynasties now. The frustration felt by us Cowboys fans should be pointed much more in the direction of JJ than Tony Romo.

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 03:23 PM
and I think ur vastly understating it...the fact they struggled so much before Romo even hammers the point more.

Not sure you realize but they have struggled AFTER ROMO too!

BEAST
12-13-2011, 03:28 PM
I asked this question earlier and nobody answered. If any of you want a different QB, tell me who it would be. Dont say Brady or Brees and the likes, those guys will never be available. Who yall want?

BEAST

Bullaholic
12-13-2011, 03:34 PM
And here in lies the problem. You have all but admitted that your expectations are too high.

The Cowboys are functioning in a different NFL world than they were even in the Triplet days. The glory days of the Cowboys are not a realistic expectation in today's NFL. Unless you get a Manning or Brady or Rodgers, it's incredibly difficult to build dynasties now. The frustration felt by us Cowboys fans should be pointed much more in the direction of JJ than Tony Romo.

Perhaps too high for any one man, Mac---but not for the Dallas Cowboys team and franchise. The height of that bar was set years ago, and after one drinks champagne for a few years, no one wants to drink beer for too long.

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 03:40 PM

Actually it is EXACTLY what you said! In response to someone saying that Tony Dungy called it a bad pass you responded with :

Perhaps you are saying that the ONLY people who know if it was a bad pass are Romo and Austin? That would be even more ridiculous than you claiming to know as much as Tony Dungy!

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Perhaps too high for any one man, Mac---but not for the Dallas Cowboys team and franchise. The height of that bar was set years ago, and after one drinks champagne for a few years, no one wants to drink beer for too long.

I would love Beer from this franchise. Lately we have only gotten Lemonaide!!!!!

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Actually it is EXACTLY what you said! In response to someone saying that Tony Dungy called it a bad pass you responded with :

Perhaps you are saying that the ONLY people who know if it was a bad pass are Romo and Austin? That would be even more ridiculous than you claiming to know as much as Tony Dungy!

hmm my quote does not say I know more than Dungy even if you try to take it in the context your trying to.

Farmersfan
12-13-2011, 03:47 PM
I asked this question earlier and nobody answered. If any of you want a different QB, tell me who it would be. Dont say Brady or Brees and the likes, those guys will never be available. Who yall want?

BEAST

I want the NEXT Tom Brady! Or the NEW Drew Brees! Maybe Aaron Rogers part Deux! If you tell me who that is going to be it will make it so much easier. Otherwise they will have do it the old fashioned way and continue to look! As long they are satisfied with Romo they really aren't looking......

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 03:54 PM
Not sure you realize but they have struggled AFTER ROMO too!

9-7
13-3
9-7
11-5
6-10
7-6

Is far less struggling than 5-11, 5-11, 5-11, 5-11, 10-6, 6-10

BEAST
12-13-2011, 03:56 PM
I want the NEXT Tom Brady! Or the NEW Drew Brees! Maybe Aaron Rogers part Deux! If you tell me who that is going to be it will make it so much easier. Otherwise they will have do it the old fashioned way and continue to look! As long they are satisfied with Romo they really aren't looking......

Thats just it. In order to get the QB in the draft you pretty much have to win no more than 3 games. The talent on Dallas alone will make them a .500 team. So you look at a trade. To be honest, there isnt a QB out there that would be available that I think would be an upgrade. So what do you do?

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 03:57 PM
Thats just it. In order to get the QB in the draft you pretty much have to win no more than 3 games. The talent on Dallas alone will make them a .500 team. So you look at a trade. To be honest, there isnt a QB out there that would be available that I think would be an upgrade. So what do you do?

BEAST

dismantle the team..tear down and have that crap year and hope a QB is going to be there that is a franchise type

BEAST
12-13-2011, 03:59 PM
dismantle the team..tear down and have that crap year and hope a QB is going to be there that is a franchise type

Yup!! Thats taking a really big gamble though. Andrew Luck is supposedly a cant miss QB by all the experts. So was Ryan Leaf. Not sure I see Jerry doing that. With the rules the way they are, you are pretty much stuck.

BEAST

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 04:04 PM
Yup!! Thats taking a really big gamble though. Andrew Luck is supposedly a cant miss QB by all the experts. So was Ryan Leaf. Not sure I see Jerry doing that. With the rules the way they are, you are pretty much stuck.

BEAST

yep easier to fix other positions that will enhance what Romo does than to tear a whole team down for one position.

GrTigers6
12-13-2011, 04:04 PM

BEASTThats the problem all the experts say that a certain qb is perfect for the nfl and you draft him number 1 and he turns out to be a Ryan Leaf

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 04:13 PM
It all boils down to this

QBs are judged by W-L only

If D gives up only 3 points but loses 3-0, no one says well the D lost and that is all that matters.people say man that looked great not their fault

If Romo leads his team to 35 points 5 TDs and no ints but the team loses, people wont remember the good game, only the loss..Just look at his last Full December and how he is playing right now in Dec, it proves he has shaken the cant play well in December theory. But since his team is 3-4 in those games people still put it on Romo

GrTigers6
12-13-2011, 04:23 PM
It all boils down to this

QBs are judged by W-L only

If D gives up only 3 points but loses 3-0, no one says well the D lost and that is all that matters.people say man that looked great not their fault

If Romo leads his team to 35 points 5 TDs and no ints but the team loses, people wont remember the good game, only the loss..Just look at his last Full December and how he is playing right now in Dec, it proves he has shaken the cant play well in December theory. But since his team is 3-4 in those games people still put it on RomoThats exactly what I was trying to say yesterday. Its the Cowboys that struggle in december. Not Romo. They should have a system like Baseball, with their Quality Start stat.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Thats exactly what I was trying to say yesterday. Its the Cowboys that struggle in december. Not Romo. They should have a system like Baseball, with their Quality Start stat.

I read this somewhere

Rather than Dallas not winning because of Tony Romo, how about this: Romo can't win in December because of the Cowboys.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4688060/romos-december-numbers-looking-good

Macarthur
12-13-2011, 04:35 PM
I read this somewhere

Rather than Dallas not winning because of Tony Romo, how about this: Romo can't win in December because of the Cowboys.

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4688060/romos-december-numbers-looking-good

Goodness, his last two decembers - 12 TDs 1 INT and a 116.2 Rating. What a choker.

GrTigers6
12-13-2011, 04:38 PM
I read this somewhere

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4688060/romos-december-numbers-looking-goodExactly!:D

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 04:43 PM
Goodness, his last two decembers - 12 TDs 1 INT and a 116.2 Rating. What a choker.

shows crazyness of stats

romo is 5-6 agianst giants in career..but thrown 21 TDs and only 11 INT with a 101. rating

He is 6-5 agianst Eagles but 11 TDs and 11 ints 78 rating.

so by W-L only he has played better agianst the Eagles

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Give up. Eagle 1 has been delusional A LOT longer then Farmers Fan has.

Shut up Emerson.

9-7
13-3
9-7
11-5
6-10
7-6

Two winning seasons and one playoff win if I'm not mistaken.
As a life long Cowboy fan I'm not satisfied, but maybe some are.

Most great qb's just are a rare find, but I say roll the dice and trade Romo for #1 draft pick while other teams are still stupid enough to take him off our hands.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 07:04 PM
Shut up Emerson.

9-7
13-3
9-7
11-5
6-10
7-6

Two winning seasons and one playoff win if I'm not mistaken.
As a life long Cowboy fan I'm not satisfied, but maybe some are.

Most great qb's just are a rare find, but I say roll the dice and trade Romo for #1 draft pick while other teams are still stupid enough to take him off our hands.

two winning seasons?

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 07:28 PM
two winning seasons?

9-7 and 7-6 dont really qualify as a winning season in my book.
I said early in the year that some people on here may be satisfied with 8-8 but I'm not.
I set my hopes high ever year, Super Bowl or bust. I guess that's because I grew up in the Roger Staubach era.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 07:32 PM
9-7 and 7-6 dont really qualify as a winning season in my book.
I said early in the year that some people on here may be satisfied with 8-8 but I'm not.
I set my hopes high ever year, Super Bowl or bust. I guess that's because I grew up in the Roger Staubach era.

one of the 9-7 got Dallas in the play-ofs...in both 9-7 Romo was not the starter every game

06 3-3 before Romo 6-4 with

08 8-5 with Romo 1-2 without

When he has started a full season he has 13 and 11 wins.

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 07:50 PM

I have noticed you like throwing that stat out there like it means something.
This year he may start a full season and we still may end up 8-8.
What then?
In fact he is 7-6 as of right now.

big daddy russ
12-13-2011, 08:05 PM
Russ...

I get that. The "Tony's a good QB but we need better if we ever hope to be relevant" crowd. I guess Peyton's injury this season may have also exacerbated how much the best can truly change a team--from cellar dweller to SuperBowl contenders--and Tony doesn't have what Peyton has.

I was wondering about that--just felt like Romo couldn't do anything right, right down to the girlfriends he invites to games and how they affect team play. I still had that view of Romo haters and didn't know if it was still the case or if things had changed.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 08:24 PM
I have noticed you like throwing that stat out there like it means something.
This year he may start a full season and we still may end up 8-8.
What then?
In fact he is 7-6 as of right now.

and in control of play off chances.

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 08:53 PM
one of the 9-7 got Dallas in the play-ofs...in both 9-7 Romo was not the starter every game

06 3-3 before Romo 6-4 with

08 8-5 with Romo 1-2 without

shut the hell up txbroadcaster. stop bringing facts into the equation.

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Emerson, I'll be at the games Thursday and will gladly give you the opportunity to tell me I'm delusional, an idiot, and all the other derogatory remarks you have made towards me over the years while hiding behind a keyboard.

------------------------------------
An interesting article:

http://blogs.scripps.com/abil/bigcountryfootball/

December 12, 2011
ROMO TO BLAME? I'M AFRAID SO...
A quick analysis of the box score from last night's heart breaking, gut wrenching 37-34 loss to the Giants reveals that the secondary blew the game for Dallas.

The secondary has, once again, blown a late lead. They've moved the Cowboys from being in the driver's seat of the division race and a playoff berth, to a more likely scenario of missing the post season altogether.

Is that unreasonable to think? Not at all. Eli Manning threw for a gaudy 400 yards. The defense gave up more than 500 yards to the Giants. They allowed a 100 yard rusher AND receiver. The defense, as a unit, committed stupid penalties and made amateurish mental mistakes.

But, in my opinion, the defense does not get the blame for this loss.

Tony Romo does.

Wait!! What?? Romo completed 67% of his passes, threw for 300+ yards, 4 touchdowns and NO interceptions! What do you mean it's his fault?? He couldn't have played better!

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury...I give you...Exhibit A.

3rd and 5. 2:25 to go. Dallas up 34-29. Giants come with an all-out blitz. Miles Austin beats his man in man coverage...he's WIDE OPEN. Pass falls incomplete.

That's it.

That's all I need to see. Romo's stats might as well have said: 0-1, 0 yards, 0 TDs, because that was the play that mattered.

If that pass is completed, Dallas wins the game, has a two game lead on the Giants and, barring a Boston Redsox-type collapse (which isn't out of the question from this team), is going to the playoffs.
And I know all the arguments to this opinion:
"they wouldn't have been in that position without Romo"
"if the defense could stop someone, he wouldn't have to complete that pass"
"if our kicking game wasn't in the toilet all of a sudden, we would have forced OT"

I know the arguments. But none of them matter.

Here's what matters:
In the moment, all things leading to that one, single moment. Game on the line, Clutch time. Glory time. Prove yourself to the fans and critics time. Incomplete.

Joe Montana completes that pass. The Manning brothers complete that pass. Ben Roethlisberger completes that pass. Drew Brees completes that pass. Tom Brady completes that pass. Roger Staubach completes that pass. Troy Aikman completes that pass. Aaron Rodgers completes that pass. John Elway completes that pass. Tim Tebow completes that pass (OK..that was a joke).

You get the idea.

That list of QBs (less Tebow - who I hope wins 19 Super Bowls by the way), didn't use their defenses or their amazing stats as excuses. When they find/found themselves in a do or die situation...they do (or did)...they don't die.

And as much as I love what Tony Romo does on the field, and how good a QB he is...he dies in those situations (remember the botched snap at Seattle? Exhibit B).

I hope Romo proves me wrong about being clutch. I hope he can do what Bobby Bowden, Mack Brown, Dirk Nowitzki, and John Elway did. Those guys were able to shed the "can't win the big one" monkeys from their backs after years of carrying it. But those are rare instances.

For all intents and purposes...usually you are what you are this late into a career. Romo's not a burgeoning, young, influential QB. He is what he is.

And at this point, he's proven time and time again that he's a really, really good QB...he's just not a great one.

Not when it's 3rd and 5, with the game on the line, with 2 minutes left and your team desperately needing you to hit a wide open receiver.

I wanted so bad for Romo to blossom into a great QB and lead Dallas to a handful of Super Bowls. And he still could lead Dallas to the promised land.

But, if I was a betting man, I'd put my money on it never happening under his control. And that makes me sad.

Stereotypes are usually stereotypes for a reason...trends are analyzed as trends for a reason...because a pattern develops, and there's some truth to the pattern.

Romo's pattern or formula goes something like this.

Great early in season and in November + regular 300 yard passing games + mobility + gunslinger - chokes in December - 4th quarter turnovers = Tony Romo.

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 09:46 PM
I'll be at Bostocks in Stephenville you can swing by after the games.

"Stereotypes are usually stereotypes for a reason"

racist

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 09:49 PM
I'll be at Bostocks in Stephenville you can swing by after the games.

I may just do that.

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 09:52 PM
$1 Keystone drafts all night.

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 09:56 PM
Drink up some more of that false courage.

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Does anyone see the irony here?

(eagle 1 being an internet badass)

I'd actually like to hear what I would have coming for me. I need to know how many to throw back. I might need to invest in some wells too.

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 10:00 PM
Does anyone see the irony here?

(eagle 1 being an internet badass)

Drink up.

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 10:01 PM
How many do I need to drink? I only have $8 on me right now.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 10:04 PM
I really hope this is a joke

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 10:05 PM
I really hope this is a joke
I know where you live.

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 10:06 PM
How many do I need to drink? I only have $8 on me right now.

What ever it takes. I'll bet you sing a different tune if I stop by there.

Why is it the smallest guy at the bar always start all the crap?

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Meanwhile, back to the article I posted.

Any comments?

bobcat1
12-13-2011, 10:20 PM

Why is it the smallest guy at the bar always start all the crap?Eagle1, Emerson is about 21 or 22 at best. He believes himself to be the smartest person about sports. He likes pushing old guy's buttons. His Daddy is 3afan and his brother is Jason. Just ignore him and continue arguing with a pro, TXB. (He is a professional arguer) Emerson is a Casey wannabe.:taunt:

Emerson1
12-13-2011, 10:26 PM

Why is it the smallest guy at the bar always start all the crap?
I'd buy you a beer for being so pathetic. I'll make sure to keep a dollar stashed away.

bobcat1
12-13-2011, 10:27 PM
I'd buy you a beer for being so pathetic. I'll make sure to keep a dollar stashed away.Putz! LOL

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 10:31 PM
I'd buy you a beer for being so pathetic. I'll make sure to keep a dollar stashed away.

Add pathetic to the list of insults.
Keep drinking BOY...

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 10:34 PM
Meanwhile, back to the article I posted.

Any comments?

Well written and one mans opinion..and? I disagree with it, you dont. does not change either view. Fact is in last 7 games in December Romo has thrown 12 TD 1 int yet the team is 3-4..shows me it is not all on Romo

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 10:47 PM
Well written and one mans opinion..and? I disagree with it, you dont. does not change either view. Fact is in last 7 games in December Romo has thrown 12 TD 1 int yet the team is 3-4..shows me it is not all on Romo

You forgot to add one incomplete pass to a wide open Austin that could have possibly clinched a playoff birth.
But I guess that doesn't matter.
I suppose you still think Vince Young is a good qb too......but that's a different story. LOL.

ADKargyleTCU12
12-13-2011, 10:49 PM

1. Blame Jerry
2. Blame Coach
3. Blame QB

This man is correct.

Txbroadcaster
12-13-2011, 10:52 PM
You forgot to add one incomplete pass to a wide open Austin that could have possibly clinched a playoff birth.
But I guess that doesn't matter.
I suppose you still think Vince Young is a good qb too......but that's a different story. LOL.

So you blame Romo who did not make as u said one play..but the D is fine even though they multiple chances on two drives to make plays?...Or the fact even after the Giants take the lead Romo drives them into FG position yet FG is blocked..but the game is on Romo?

Eagle 1
12-13-2011, 11:12 PM
So you blame Romo who did not make as u said one play..but the D is fine even though they multiple chances on two drives to make plays?...Or the fact even after the Giants take the lead Romo drives them into FG position yet FG is blocked..but the game is on Romo?

Again, this thread is about Romo, not the defense. :wave:

Heres another point.
The other night when the Giants had scored to bring the game with in a one possession game.
Why did Garrett remain conservative and try and just run the ball?
Perhaps he doesn't have much faith in his qb?
Think about it. Most other teams like GB or the the Pats would have went to the air and moved the ball down the field to get the score back. Just some food for thought.

Macarthur
12-14-2011, 09:54 AM

Heres another point.
The other night when the Giants had scored to bring the game with in a one possession game.
Think about it. Most other teams like GB or the the Pats would have went to the air and moved the ball down the field to get the score back. Just some food for thought.

That is a dumb point. Football 101 right there tells you to run the ball and make the other team burn their timeouts.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 09:57 AM

Heres another point.

and agian your question was not

and no team would have thrown the ball on that drive until they had to..That was to be a time killer drive, not a answer the score with a score drive( not saying I dont disagree on the being more aggresive) but I dont see one team in the NFL throwing until forced to in that situation

Eagle 1
12-14-2011, 10:39 AM
and agian your question was not

and no team would have thrown the ball on that drive until they had to..That was to be a time killer drive, not a answer the score with a score drive( not saying I dont disagree on the being more aggresive) but I dont see one team in the NFL throwing until forced to in that situation

I can name three teams that would, Pats, GB, NO.
Of course, they all have good qb's.

"Again your question was not".... What does that mean? And are you and Macarthur the same poster? Just curious because I have seen people sign up as two different posters while trying to make a point. It happens on every mb. 3A downlow is probably no different.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 10:50 AM
I can name three teams that would, Pats, GB, NO.
Of course, they all have good qb's.

What does that mean? And are you and Macarthur the same poster? Just curious because I have seen people sign up as two different posters while trying to make a point. It happens on every mb. 3A downlow is probably no different.

Really doubt the PAts, NO, and GB with 3 mins left in game would come out firing

and nope and u know that are u and FF the same?

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Does this logic ONLY apply to Romo? If Romo's mistake on that final drive is excused in your mind because of his good play previously then why is the defense always to blame if they give up a late drive after holding the other team in check for 58 minutes? At least I am consistent in my blame. You are very inconsistent in your excuses!

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 11:46 AM
Does this logic ONLY apply to Romo? If Romo's mistake on that final drive is excused in your mind because of his good play previously then why is the defense always to blame if they give up a late drive after holding the other team in check for 58 minutes? At least I am consistent in my blame. You are very inconsistent in your excuses!

Romo played good before the throw to Austin, and he played good after

and when Romo has coughed up the game I have said he has..you have never said yes the Dallas D has a bad habit of meltdowns

Eagle 1
12-14-2011, 12:09 PM
Really doubt the PAts, NO, and GB with 3 mins left in game would come out firing

and nope and u know that are u and FF the same?

I guess you don't keep up with any teams outside of the Cowboys.
Deep down inside you know I'm right about Garrett having faith in Romo and it kills you to admit it. LOL....

FF's post and mine are two different styles. Just saying. :)

Eagle 1
12-14-2011, 12:11 PM
and when Romo has coughed up the game I have said he has..

Did I miss something here? Can you show us that post?

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 12:28 PM
I guess you don't keep up with any teams outside of the Cowboys.
Deep down inside you know I'm right about Garrett having faith in Romo and it kills you to admit it. LOL....

FF's post and mine are two different styles. Just saying. :)

no I dont deep down inside feel that..and yes I have the NFL ticket and watch a ton of football

This is what GB did when they beat Minny with a lead late and had the ball with 2:50..7 straight runs

When GB beat NO...in ALL of 4TH Q 7 runs 2 passes

NO agianst Tenn takes over with 2:30 left ..4 rushes 1 pass( 3rd and 7)

NE lead late agianst Colts..3 runs and punt

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 12:39 PM
Did I miss something here? Can you show us that post?

What a collapse..Romo as Sly said wasted 3 Qs of great plays by two to's in 4th..fumble I dont blame as much..stupid int at the end.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?114609-Cowboys-Jets/page2&highlight=Jets

I did not say he gets a pass, Romo lost the game for Dallas today

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?114991-Detroit-Lions-Dallas-Cowboys/page4&highlight=Jets

Eagle 1
12-14-2011, 12:53 PM
no I dont deep down inside feel that..and yes I have the NFL ticket and watch a ton of football

This is what GB did when they beat Minny with a lead late and had the ball with 2:50..7 straight runs

When GB beat NO...in ALL of 4TH Q 7 runs 2 passes

NO agianst Tenn takes over with 2:30 left ..4 rushes 1 pass( 3rd and 7)

NE lead late agianst Colts..3 runs and punt

I'm not buying your post, but obviously if they did run the ball 7 times then they must have got a first down running the ball.
However, I have seen them pass the ball on first down, unlike the Cowboys.
If we run it, we go 3 and out. That is a fact.

Eagle 1
12-14-2011, 12:54 PM
What a collapse..Romo as Sly said wasted 3 Qs of great plays by two to's in 4th..fumble I dont blame as much..stupid int at the end.

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?114609-Cowboys-Jets/page2&highlight=Jets

I did not say he gets a pass, Romo lost the game for Dallas today

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?114991-Detroit-Lions-Dallas-Cowboys/page4&highlight=Jets

I didn't see where you said any of that in the links you posted, but I didn't read the whole thread. Maybe tonight when I get time.
I'm out, on the way to the games.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 12:56 PM
I didn't see where you said any of that in the links you posted, but I didn't read the whole thread. Maybe tonight when I get time.
I'm out, on the way to the games.

be safe..and read them I said it..I dont lie( nor do you)

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 01:20 PM
I'm not buying your post, but obviously if they did run the ball 7 times then they must have got a first down running the ball.
However, I have seen them pass the ball on first down, unlike the Cowboys.
If we run it, we go 3 and out. That is a fact.

all u have to do is go look at box scores

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Romo played good before the throw to Austin, and he played good after

and when Romo has coughed up the game I have said he has..you have never said yes the Dallas D has a bad habit of meltdowns

Basically the real difference in our opinion lies in the fact that you believe the quality of the game the defense plays is entirely dependant on how well the offense does. The offense is not held responsible for a certain level of production in your world. And you can say what you want but I have blamed the defense as well as every other aspect of the team about 100X more often than you place any blame on Romo. You tend to shield Romo while throwing blame at everyone else. In your opinion Romo is allowed to make a game changing mistake if he plays well before that or after that but the defense isn't allowed to give up a winning score late in the game regardless of how well they have played the other 58 minutes of the game! That is what I meant by inconsistent!
And don't even bring up the idea that they have a "HABIT" of meltdowns. Giving up a long drive to Tom Brady or Eli Manning wouldn't be considered a "Meltdown" and you know it. Brady is probably the #1 QB in NFL history and Eli Manning will become the #1 QB in NFL history for 4th quarter TDs in his next game. Eli Manning would also be the NFL favorite for MVP this season if not for the unreal season of Aaron Rogers. Two of the greatest QBs in the NFL stand a pretty good chance of having success against any defense late in the game. Did they get the job done late in the 4th against those guys? Of course not! But guess what? The offense and Tony Romo also didn't get it done. The difference is you blame one while making excuses for the other!

Macarthur
12-14-2011, 03:07 PM
Basically the real difference in our opinion lies in the fact that you believe the quality of the game the defense plays is entirely dependant on how well the offense does. The offense is not held responsible for a certain level of production in your world. And you can say what you want but I have blamed the defense as well as every other aspect of the team about 100X more often than you place any blame on Romo. You tend to shield Romo while throwing blame at everyone else. In your opinion Romo is allowed to make a game changing mistake if he plays well before that or after that but the defense isn't allowed to give up a winning score late in the game regardless of how well they have played the other 58 minutes of the game! That is what I meant by inconsistent!
And don't even bring up the idea that they have a "HABIT" of meltdowns. Giving up a long drive to Tom Brady or Eli Manning wouldn't be considered a "Meltdown" and you know it. Brady is probably the #1 QB in NFL history and Eli Manning will become the #1 QB in NFL history for 4th quarter TDs in his next game. Eli Manning would also be the NFL favorite for MVP this season if not for the unreal season of Aaron Rogers. Two of the greatest QBs in the NFL stand a pretty good chance of having success against any defense late in the game. Did they get the job done late in the 4th against those guys? Of course not! But guess what? The offense and Tony Romo also didn't get it done. The difference is you blame one while making excuses for the other!

I'll grant you that Brady is a great one, but I still think giving up a 12 point lead with about 3:30 to Eli is excessive, especially when one of those drives was 80 yards. How about the long 4th quarter drives to the elite QBs Kolb, Matt Moore & Rex Grossman?

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 04:26 PM

FF..you always like to point out what the media is aying of Romo..then surely you see what the media is saying about D having the same thing happen over and over...this is not a just this year issue, it goes back to 2009.

and I showe links where I said on here Romo lost the game.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 04:26 PM
I'll grant you that Brady is a great one, but I still think giving up a 12 point lead with about 3:30 to Eli is excessive, especially when one of those drives was 80 yards. How about the long 4th quarter drives to the elite QBs Kolb, Matt Moore & Rex Grossman?

or Mark Sanchez going 99 yards

Farmersfan
12-14-2011, 04:47 PM

And how many points did the offense score in the 4th quarter of those games? 4th quarter points allowed by the defense this season are:

Jets=7 only. (blocked punt for 7 and Romo int for 3)
San Fransico=3
Washington=0
Detroit=17 (actually only 14. Romo set detroit up with a short field with his 3rd int of the game)
Patriots=7
Rams=0
Philly=7
Seahawks=7
buffalo=0
Washington=7
Miami=3
Cardinals=7
giants=15

See the problem lies in the fact that some of these team are able to take the lead on the Cowboys late in the 4th by only scoring once. That's a offensive defieciency and not a defensive problem................

Macarthur
12-14-2011, 04:51 PM
And how many points did the offense score in the 4th quarter of those games? 4th quarter points allowed by the defense this season are:

San Fransico=3
Washington=0
Detroit=17 (actually only 14. Romo set detroit up with a short field with his 3rd int of the game)
Patriots=7
Rams=0
Philly=7
Seahawks=7
buffalo=0
Washington=7
Miami=3
Cardinals=7
giants=15

See the problem lies in the fact that some of these team are able to take the lead on the Cowboys late in the 4th by only scoring once. That's a offensive defieciency and not a defensive problem................

See, the problem is in your last sentence. I agree that the offense has struggled some in 4th quarters. However, that doesn't change the fact that going back to the last two drives in the Washington game, the AVERAGE drive given up by the defense in the 4th quarter is 79 yards! Think about that. David Moore had that stat the other day. The AVERAGE drive in the 4th quarter since the last two drives in the Wash game is 79 yards! I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that. I will grant you that the offnense hasn't helped them in some of those instances, but we're talking about the AVERAGE drive they're giving up in 4th quarters. That's simply an astounding stat.

GrTigers6
12-14-2011, 05:07 PM

San Fransico=3
Washington=0
Patriots=7
Rams=0
Philly=7
Seahawks=7
buffalo=0
Washington=7
Miami=3
Cardinals=7
giants=15

See the problem lies in the fact that some of these team are able to take the lead on the Cowboys late in the 4th by only scoring once. That's a offensive defieciency and not a defensive problem................You are so full of it. If the offense is expected to add to their lead to save the game then why isnt the defense suppose to hold the lead. that makes absolutely no sense.
3 of there losses they had a 12 point or better lead in the fourth quarter. 1 of them they were blown out and the other 2 they had the lead and the defense gave it up late only for the offense to come back and get in position for a field goal only to lose it.Sounds to me the defense is more the problem than the offense

Eagle 1
12-14-2011, 06:40 PM
You are so full of it. If the offense is expected to add to their lead to save the game then why isnt the defense suppose to hold the lead. that makes absolutely no sense.
3 of there losses they had a 12 point or better lead in the fourth quarter. 1 of them they were blown out and the other 2 they had the lead and the defense gave it up late only for the offense to come back and get in position for a field goal only to lose it.Sounds to me the defense is more the problem than the offense

It actually makes perfect sense. While the offense is basically taking off in the 4th qtr. and going three and out, the defense is having to come back on the field. Eventually even the best defense will get tired, especially by the 4th qt.
TX, why don't you post how many points the offense has scored in each of their games in the 4th qt.

Again, this Romo thread has been spun to a defensive thread.
I'll be the first to admit that our secondary SUCKS, but I don't see what that has to do with Romo.

TX, if you said that about Romo, then I believe you. I'm not going to take the time to read 15 pages of the Dallas/Jets game.

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 06:55 PM
It actually makes perfect sense. While the offense is basically taking off in the 4th qtr. and going three and out, the defense is having to come back on the field. Eventually even the best defense will get tired, especially by the 4th qt.
TX, why don't you post how many points the offense has scored in each of their games in the 4th qt.

I'll be the first to admit that our secondary SUCKS, but I don't see what that has to do with Romo.

TX, if you said that about Romo, then I believe you. I'm not going to take the time to read 15 pages of the Dallas/Jets game.

If someone does not do it before later tonight, Grant and I are recording our show then we have a meeting

GrTigers6
12-14-2011, 08:23 PM

TX, if you said that about Romo, then I believe you. I'm not going to take the time to read 15 pages of the Dallas/Jets game.The offense going conservative in the 4th qtr has absolutely nothing to do with Romo. That is all on garrett.
So what your saying about the defense is they only have to play well until the end and then they can say they are tired. but the offense cant be tired, ok I got you!

Eagle 1
12-14-2011, 10:20 PM
The offense going conservative in the 4th qtr has absolutely nothing to do with Romo. That is all on garrett.
So what your saying about the defense is they only have to play well until the end and then they can say they are tired. but the offense cant be tired, ok I got you!

Unbelievable. I thought I put in terms that everybody could understand.
I'll try again.
ANYTIME in the 4th qtr, Dallas offense is prone to going 3 and out, be it Garretts conservative play calling OR the offense struggling (mostly the later). It happens nearly every game. THEREFORE, the defense doesn't get much rest and CONSTANTLY have to play nearly the WHOLE 4th qtr. EVENTUALLY, this begins to wear on the defense.
IF you know football, and I would think you do being from Brownwood, most offenses are more "fresh" in the 4th qtr as compared to the defense. Common sense.
So NO I guess you didn't get me.

buff4ever
12-14-2011, 10:37 PM
The offense going conservative in the 4th qtr has absolutely nothing to do with Romo. That is all on garrett.

3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, defense can't breath, but what do you know we actually got in field goal range instead of another 3 and out, let's CELLLLLEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON.

ROMO SUX

Txbroadcaster
12-14-2011, 11:35 PM
ok scoring for Cowboys 4th Q

Jets: 7
SF: 10 + 3OT
Skins 6
Lions 0
Pats 3
Rams 14
Philly 7
Bills 10
Skins 14 plus 3 OT
Fins 10
Cards 0
Giants 14

Scored points in 11 of 13 game
double digits in 6

I am not sure what barometer is? I would assume at least 3 is ehhh 7-14 is optimal

Now next one is how many drives and plays did Dallas have in those 4th Qs..I will figure that out later..but thru 4 games I have looked at it seems 3 drives per Q is the norm

GrTigers6
12-15-2011, 09:28 AM
3 and out, 3 and out, 3 and out, defense can't breath, but what do you know we actually got in field goal range instead of another 3 and out, let's CELLLLLEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON.

ROMO SUXAgain I say those three and outs are not Romo's fault those are conservative play calling. poor blocking and execution. How you can blame Romo is beyond me

GrTigers6
12-15-2011, 09:34 AM
Unbelievable. I thought I put in terms that everybody could understand.
I'll try again.
ANYTIME in the 4th qtr, Dallas offense is prone to going 3 and out, be it Garretts conservative play calling OR the offense struggling (mostly the later). It happens nearly every game. THEREFORE, the defense doesn't get much rest and CONSTANTLY have to play nearly the WHOLE 4th qtr. EVENTUALLY, this begins to wear on the defense.
IF you know football, and I would think you do being from Brownwood, most offenses are more "fresh" in the 4th qtr as compared to the defense. Common sense.
So NO I guess you didn't get me.Number 1 Im not from Brownwood, I am from Santa Anna I lived in brownwood briefly. But Second All those games they lost in the fourth quarter they had a lead in at some point in the fourth quarter. In fact all games but the eagles game they had the lead or added to the lead in the fourth quarter. So very few of those games did they go three and out every drive. They sustained several in order to take the lead or build the lead. So dont give me this crap about the Defense being tired.

Farmersfan
12-15-2011, 10:09 AM
See, the problem is in your last sentence. I agree that the offense has struggled some in 4th quarters. However, that doesn't change the fact that going back to the last two drives in the Washington game, the AVERAGE drive given up by the defense in the 4th quarter is 79 yards! Think about that. David Moore had that stat the other day. The AVERAGE drive in the 4th quarter since the last two drives in the Wash game is 79 yards! I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around that. I will grant you that the offnense hasn't helped them in some of those instances, but we're talking about the AVERAGE drive they're giving up in 4th quarters. That's simply an astounding stat.

That's a horrible stats! Terrible, terrible, terrible defense to give up those kinds of drives! I don't argue that! But guess what? Washington could have drove a million yards in the 4th on this defense but they scored just 7 points! Miami could go on 24 hours drives that would circumvent the entire globe for all I care because they only scored 3 points! The Cardinals? 7 total points in the 4th quarter....... It's points that wins or loses football games. Not yards!
And I don't disagree with anything anyone says about this defense except for how they quantify using the term "meltdown" and how they apply blame for most of these loses! If the defense gives up 13 points to the Cardinals in the entire game and loses the game only a real moron can find blame for that lose by the defense. Period. The worse offense in the NFL scores 12 points a game and the best defense in the NFL gives up 14 points a game. Teams score points! That's what they are there to do. It is the offenses job to score points and the defenses job to limit the points scored by the other team. If a person doesn't call limiting a NFL offense to below 14-20 points a good job by the defense then they really don't know much about football. And at the same time if they don't expect their offense to score more than 14-20 points it only re-emphasizes their lack of football knowledge. If the Cowboy's defense "melted down" by allowing 14 points in the 4th quarter to the #7 ranked offense in the NFL then how big of a meltdown was it for the Giants defense to give up 15 to the Cowboys? Two defenses that melted down in the 4th quarter and only one offense that did enough to win it. The Tony Romo missed TD pass to Miles Austin was the difference! Eli made the plays that made the difference! Romo didn't!

buff4ever
12-15-2011, 10:18 AM
That's a horrible stats! Terrible, terrible, terrible defense to give up those kinds of drives! I don't argue that! But guess what? Washington could have drove a million yards in the 4th on this defense but they scored just 7 points! Miami could go on 24 hours drives that would circumvent the entire globe for all I care because they only scored 3 points! The Cardinals? 7 total points in the 4th quarter....... It's points that wins or loses football games. Not yards!
And I don't disagree with anything anyone says about this defense except for how they quantify using the term "meltdown" and how they apply blame for most of these loses! If the defense gives up 13 points to the Cardinals in the entire game and loses the game only a real moron can find blame for that lose by the defense. Period. The worse offense in the NFL scores 12 points a game and the best defense in the NFL gives up 14 points a game. Teams score points! That's what they are there to do. It is the offenses job to score points and the defenses job to limit the points scored by the other team. If a person doesn't call limiting a NFL offense to below 14-20 points a good job by the defense then they really don't know much about football. And at the same time if they don't expect their offense to score more than 14-20 points it only re-emphasizes their lack of football knowledge. If the Cowboy's defense "melted down" by allowing 14 points in the 4th quarter to the #7 ranked offense in the NFL then how big of a meltdown was it for the Giants defense to give up 15 to the Cowboys? Two defenses that melted down in the 4th quarter and only one offense that did enough to win it. The Tony Romo missed TD pass to Miles Austin was the difference! Eli made the plays that made the difference! Romo didn't!

Ouch, but they still don't hear you. If we don't make the playoffs this year, I expect JJ to roll some heads. It prolly won't be his own, so we will see if he is wising up and moves in a right direction or keeps the ship pointed in the same direction.

Farmersfan
12-15-2011, 10:22 AM

I think you give Romo not near enough credit or blame for the offensive play calling. I see very few plays that Romo doesn't have the option to "KILL"! "KILL"! "KILL"! and change the play at the line of scrimmage. Can't remember which game it was but Garrett got toasted for 2 goalline passes from 1 yard out when both plays were changed by Romo at the line. When he changes the play and it works he is a genius but when he changes it and it doesn't work Garrett takes the heat most of the time. But even a conservative offense can keep possession and not turn the ball back over to these high powered offenses. Especially since apparently we all know the defense will "Meltdown"! That makes these decisions and the offensive power naps even more distrubing. To me anyway!

Farmersfan
12-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Number 1 Im not from Brownwood, I am from Santa Anna I lived in brownwood briefly. But Second All those games they lost in the fourth quarter they had a lead in at some point in the fourth quarter. In fact all games but the eagles game they had the lead or added to the lead in the fourth quarter. So very few of those games did they go three and out every drive. They sustained several in order to take the lead or build the lead. So dont give me this crap about the Defense being tired.

What you fail to realize is that the defense is as much the reason for the late lead as the offense is in most of these cases. There is no excuse for giving up 37 points to the Giants or 24 to that Washington piece of crap but every other game the defense kept the team in the game even when the offense wasn't scoring or was giving away points to the other team. End of story!

GrTigers6
12-15-2011, 01:21 PM
What you fail to realize is that the defense is as much the reason for the late lead as the offense is in most of these cases. There is no excuse for giving up 37 points to the Giants or 24 to that Washington piece of crap but every other game the defense kept the team in the game even when the offense wasn't scoring or was giving away points to the other team. End of story!I understand that however they still have to maintain the lead when the offense manages to score. I never said the offense was great just that the defense is as much to blame if not more fore the meltdowns

GrTigers6
12-15-2011, 01:23 PM
I think you give Romo not near enough credit or blame for the offensive play calling. I see very few plays that Romo doesn't have the option to "KILL"! "KILL"! "KILL"! and change the play at the line of scrimmage. Can't remember which game it was but Garrett got toasted for 2 goalline passes from 1 yard out when both plays were changed by Romo at the line. When he changes the play and it works he is a genius but when he changes it and it doesn't work Garrett takes the heat most of the time. But even a conservative offense can keep possession and not turn the ball back over to these high powered offenses. Especially since apparently we all know the defense will "Meltdown"! That makes these decisions and the offensive power naps even more distrubing. To me anyway!But you know more than likely romo wont change a play in that situation unless its just obvious. and the failure to run has nothing to do with the qb, that is all blocking

unless your saying romo is uncapable of handing off

RoyceTTU
12-15-2011, 01:25 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qdxzs.jpg

buff4ever
12-15-2011, 03:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/qdxzs.jpg

Those commercials annoy me, now you put that face on there and I will get pissed everytime I see these commercials. Dang it.

Farmersfan
12-15-2011, 03:33 PM
I understand that however they still have to maintain the lead when the offense manages to score.

so as long as our offense scores first then we are supposed to win...................... even if they only score once!

buff4ever
12-15-2011, 03:55 PM
so as long as our offense scores first then we are supposed to win...................... even if they only score once!

Your answers aren't even being allowed to sink in, he is thinking of next question before he is done reading your answer. I gave up.

Romo may prove us wrong this week, aren't we playing the great Tampa Bay. That will be a big win, they will show us then. We can't be proven wrong for atleast a month, a win against NY later to make the playoffs isn't enough to prove us wrong.

GrTigers6
12-15-2011, 04:48 PM
so as long as our offense scores first then we are supposed to win...................... even if they only score once!Im talking about the end of the game late. why do yall always have to change our words to fit your argument?

GrTigers6
12-15-2011, 04:49 PM
Your answers aren't even being allowed to sink in, he is thinking of next question before he is done reading your answer. I gave up.

Romo may prove us wrong this week, aren't we playing the great Tampa Bay. That will be a big win, they will show us then. We can't be proven wrong for atleast a month, a win against NY later to make the playoffs isn't enough to prove us wrong.I stopped reading your answers a long time ago. They have to make sense in order to keep my attention.:p:D

buff4ever
12-16-2011, 10:27 AM
I stopped reading your answers a long time ago. They have to make sense in order to keep my attention.:p:D

And yet you directly responded to it. How did you do that without reading, you may not be as dumb as I thought? Wait what am I saying, I am not that dumb, you read it.:)

JJWalker
12-16-2011, 10:34 AM
This just in off of the news wire ...

The Dallas Cowboys led by QB Tony Romo are sucking right now.

GrTigers6
12-16-2011, 11:07 AM
And yet you directly responded to it. How did you do that without reading, you may not be as dumb as I thought? Wait what am I saying, I am not that dumb, you read it.:)It should have said all of your answers.:)

Farmersfan
12-16-2011, 11:10 AM
Im talking about the end of the game late. why do yall always have to change our words to fit your argument?

Really? REALLY? RREEEEAAAAALLLLLLYYYY? :eek:

GrTigers6
12-16-2011, 11:36 AM
Really? REALLY? RREEEEAAAAALLLLLLYYYY? :eek:Yep, It sounded like the right thing to say at the time!:D
Im surprised you missed that until now lol

cowboyandchrist
12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
So your saying that no great qb misses a wide open receiver! Thats ridiculous
With nobody within 20 yards of the reciever and no pressure, no I

GrTigers6
12-16-2011, 12:16 PM
With nobody within 20 yards of the reciever and no pressure, no IDid you watch the play. Because first the closest player was within 10 yards and Romo had at least 3 defenders in his face when he threw it.
Actually the defender was 4 yards away not 20.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw69L-q2hIw&feature=player_embedded#

Eagle 1
12-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Did you watch the play. Because first the closest player was within 10 yards and Romo had at least 3 defenders in his face when he threw it.

Doesn't he get paid to throw the ball even under pressure?
Bottom line, he missed a wide open receiver and we lost the game.
Those without blinders on will blame Romo. The rest....well.

My bad, I forgot you are from Santa Anna. We had that conversation.
Eagle 1 = :crazy: @ times.

GrTigers6
12-16-2011, 12:37 PM
Doesn't he get paid to throw the ball even under pressure?
Bottom line, he missed a wide open receiver and we lost the game.
Those without blinders on will blame Romo. The rest....well.

My bad, I forgot you are from Santa Anna. We had that conversation.
Eagle 1 = :crazy: @ times.The bottom line is the defense gave up 15 points in 5:31 minutes with no turnovers by the offense

Eagle 1
12-16-2011, 12:43 PM
The bottom line is the defense gave up 15 points in 5:31 minutes with no turnovers by the offense

In case you missed it.....

Question for Cowboys fans: why all the Romo hatred?

GrTigers6
12-16-2011, 12:48 PM
In case you missed it.....

Question for Cowboys fans: why all the Romo hatred?Exactly, Thats my argument against the hatred. Yes romo has lost some games but this one is no way on him. If it wasnt for romo they wouldnt have scored near 34 points so the missed pass wouldnt have mattered

Eagle 1
12-16-2011, 12:51 PM
Exactly, Thats my argument against the hatred. Yes romo has lost some games but this one is no way on him. If it wasnt for romo they wouldnt have scored near 34 points so the missed pass wouldnt have mattered

If the pass was complete and Miles scores, we win. So it did matter.

GrTigers6
12-16-2011, 12:58 PM
If the pass was complete and Miles scores, we win. So it did matter.that just would of given the defense another chance to blow it

Farmersfan
12-16-2011, 02:00 PM
The bottom line is the defense gave up 15 points in 5:31 minutes with no turnovers by the offense

You can't use that arguement! Because you also blamed the defense against the Cardinals when they only gave up 13 total points in regulation. Be consistent! It can't be a different reason every week to blame the defense! 15 points given up by the defense in 5:31 was a terrible job by the defense without a doubt. But didn't the offense get a chance to help in the middle there somewhere and failed? I have not excused the defense for this loss. But I have also not excused the offense for not taking advantage of the opportunity to ice this game when they had it!

big daddy russ
12-16-2011, 02:32 PM
I don't understand why y'all are arguing about this game. The pass to Austin wasn't overthrown. Austin admitted as much. This loss can't be pinned on Romo in any way.

I don't even have a dog in this fight.

GrTigers6
12-16-2011, 02:38 PM
You can't use that arguement! Because you also blamed the defense against the Cardinals when they only gave up 13 total points in regulation. Be consistent! It can't be a different reason every week to blame the defense! 15 points given up by the defense in 5:31 was a terrible job by the defense without a doubt. But didn't the offense get a chance to help in the middle there somewhere and failed? I have not excused the defense for this loss. But I have also not excused the offense for not taking advantage of the opportunity to ice this game when they had it!So the offense should score everytime but the defense shouldnt hold everytime i see.
The offense scored more than their average which according to you is acceptable, considering your saying you accept the defense holding the cards to 13 is acceptable since its under their average. So how can you say now that the offense ois part to blame?

Eagle 1
12-16-2011, 03:02 PM
I don't understand why y'all are arguing about this game. The pass to Austin wasn't overthrown. Austin admitted as much. This loss can't be pinned on Romo in any way.

What game was you watching?

Farmersfan
12-16-2011, 03:27 PM
So the offense should score everytime but the defense shouldnt hold everytime i see.
The offense scored more than their average which according to you is acceptable, considering your saying you accept the defense holding the cards to 13 is acceptable since its under their average. So how can you say now that the offense ois part to blame?

So you have been paying attention! And you sound smarter for it! Congrats..................:clap:
But actually what I have always said is the Cowboys need to score more than the Giants defense averages giving up. (not what the Cowboys average scoring). But the offense did that. That's why the defense cannot be excused from this terrible loss. And other than the 1 BIG missed opportunity to Miles Austin I think the offense (and Romo) played pretty well. Not well enough to be completely obsolved from all responsibility but still pretty good. So I don't have a problem admitting I'm not real secure in my position against the offense (or Romo) in this game. My continued debate on the subject is driven by the fact that most of you Romosexuals also blamed the defense when they actually performed very effectively. They can't be the blame for every single loss. Blaming the defense for a loss when they only give up 13 points in regulation would be like blaming the offense for the loss after they scored 50 points! It don't make sense!
Disclaimer: Unless of course the offense also scores a bunch of points for the other team. "See Tony Romo vs. NY Jets/Detroit Lions"

Txbroadcaster
12-16-2011, 03:36 PM
Unless of course the offense also scores a bunch of points for the other team. "See Tony Romo vs. NY Jets/Detroit Lions"

The offense only "scored" 3 points for the jets

big daddy russ
12-17-2011, 01:05 AM
What game was you watching?
Giants/Cowboys. Sunday night.

You really have to stretch it to pin that one on Tony. I have no doubt he's lost other games for you (I rarely watch), but you have to nitpick your way into the "Romo lost that one" argument. No other way to put it. He did everything in his power to put them in a position to win the game. And they didn't. The Cowboys failed Romo, not the other way around.

Txbroadcaster
12-17-2011, 02:10 AM
Giants/Cowboys. Sunday night.

You really have to stretch it to pin that one on Tony. I have no doubt he's lost other games for you (I rarely watch), but you have to nitpick your way into the "Romo lost that one" argument. No other way to put it. He did everything in his power to put them in a position to win the game. And they didn't. The Cowboys failed Romo, not the other way around.

eagle does not even accept the fact Austin said it was his fault

TheDOCTORdre
12-17-2011, 09:17 AM
hell Eagle doesn't even know what a winning season is

Eagle 1
12-17-2011, 09:56 PM
hell Eagle doesn't even know what a winning season is

Yep...it's been so long ago I forget.
One playoff win since when?

bobcat1
12-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Yep...it's been so long ago I forget.
One playoff win since when?My memory fails me. Suffice it to say it was many moons ago.

83Indian
12-18-2011, 01:28 AM
I know I'm late to this thread and someone may have already said what I'm about to say.

The initial question is "Romo in an unwinable situation"?

The answer is Yes and No IMO.

I have been watching the Cowboys since I was probably 6 years old. My earliest memories of a Dallas Cowboys game was when Staubach and Morton were alternating plays at QB. Growning up, players like Staubach, Walt Garrison, Duane Thomas, Calvin Hill, Tony Dorsett, were all players I liked to mimic playing sandlot football with brothers and cousins and neigbors and sometimes sisters would get in the act.

I've listened to Randy Galloway talk about how great a QB Don Meredith was. He even said he thinks Meredith was the best Dallas QB ever. That was for most of the 60's. Then we had Morton Briefly and Staubach for most of the 70's with Danny White finishing out thru the mid 80's. It took a few years to get Aikman, I think in 89 and then we had him for the 90's (most wins by a QB in any decade). All of these QB's have something in common Romo doesnt. That is they all at a minimum got to a championship game. Staubach and Aikman account for all the Superbowl wins.

So in a nutshell until Romo at least gets to an NFC championship, he is at least 5 or maybe 6th best Dallas QB all time. This is at least how I view this and I know a lot of others who feel just like me.

So if Romo can get to an NFC championship, that will take some heat off him. Of course losing and not going to the super bowl will not be good enough still for a lot of people. Then getting to a super bowl and losing still wont satisfy all the nay sayers.

Winning a superbowl is what Tony needs to do. This is the Dallas Cowboys. This is what he has to do. Fair or not fair, this is the expectation.

So win the superbowl or else Tony. Thats what its going to take.

Eagle 1
12-18-2011, 12:15 PM
Did anybody watch the post game show last night? Deon Sanders and Marshall Faulk pretty much cornered Tony on his performance and Deon ask "who gets in your butt when you screw up?" You could tell he pretty much blindsided Tony and for a second he didn't have an answer. It made me wonder, does anybody hold Tony accountable for his mistakes?
Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWPphDw83_4

Txbroadcaster
12-18-2011, 01:09 PM
Did anybody watch the post game show last night? Deon Sanders and Marshall Faulk pretty much cornered Tony on his performance and Deon ask "who gets in your butt when you screw up?" You could tell he pretty much blindsided Tony and for a second he didn't have an answer. It made me wonder, does anybody hold Tony accountable for his mistakes?
Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWPphDw83_4

I think Romo paused because Sanders said IN YOUR BUTT.

Eagle 1
12-18-2011, 01:25 PM
Still a valid question.....