PDA

View Full Version : Championship Weekend Travel

3afan
12-11-2011, 11:28 AM
One of the bad things about a single site championship venue is the discrepancy in travel distances*. Well thats about the only bad thing.

This weekend the biggest difference in travel is 4A DII game:
Aledo 33 miles v. Manvel 312, a 279 mile difference

The teams with the least difference, 25 miles, is
Spring Dekaney 235 v. Cibolo Steele 260 and
Stamford 204 v. Mason 229

The 3A game is
Argyle 35 v. Wimberley 270, a difference of 225

The closest team is Southlake Carroll, 20 miles and the farthest team is Refugio, 346 miles

* - city to city addresses were used, not specific school addresses ... I wasnt that bored!

wimbo_pro
12-11-2011, 11:34 AM
One of the bad things about a single site championship venue is the discrepancy in travel distances*. Well thats about the only bad thing.

This weekend the biggest difference in travel is 4A DII game:
Aledo 33 miles v. Manvel 312, a 279 mile difference

The teams with the least difference, 25 miles, is
Spring Dekaney 235 v. Cibolo Steele 260 and
Stamford 204 v. Mason 229

The 3A game is
Argyle 35 v. Wimberley 270, a difference of 225

The closest team is Southlake Carroll, 20 miles and the farthest team is Refugio, 346 miles

* - city to city addresses were used, not specific school addresses ... I wasnt that bored!

Good work! However, I must correct our distance. It's a lot closer to 240 mile from Wimberely to Arlington. Yahoo Maps shows it at 236 between the two. What site did you use to check those distances?

3afan
12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
oh well I have a disclaimer! I used Mapquest

Google Maps says 243 Miles "Wimberley, TX" to "Arlington, TX"

Well I looked at my notes and I actually have 235 mi., from Mapquest - so I err'd when making the post. I did work last night .. yeah thats my excuse :)

Bullaholic
12-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Refugio could walk to their game and beat everybody from 5A on down by 50+......:D

(How am I doin', garcia?:D)

Travel is a consideration, 3Afan, but I'll bet that many of these teams would literally walk to get to play at Cowboy Stadium, especially those making their first trip.

3afan
12-11-2011, 11:45 AM
thats a good question for Wimberley fans ... would you rather play in Cowboys Stadium (or Reliant, whatever) or have a shorter more equitable distance to travel?

wimbo_pro
12-11-2011, 12:04 PM
thats a good question for Wimberley fans ... would you rather play in Cowboys Stadium (or Reliant, whatever) or have a shorter more equitable distance to travel?

I really dont think it matters much. I bet we travel the night before and spend the night. I'm not sure this is happening, it just seems the thing to do. Hell, we could easily collect the money privately to make this happen. That way, they would wake up early Friday and work out..then get their gamefaces on. Anyone know if we are indeed travelling the day before?

Even if we do not travel the day before, I am not too concerned about a 4 hour bus ride. This is the Big Show, dammit!!

regaleagle
12-11-2011, 03:03 PM
The team would probably opt to leave early Friday at maybe 7 am to ensure enough time to get there, eat, get rested, and get ready to play. JMO, but perhaps traveling the night before would be better for the team. It may come down to other considerations, though. Argyle will not have those issues to deal with, thankfully. But if we did, we would probably leave the afternoon before to go to Reliant or the Alamodome. Just to be on the safe side, you understand. And to be completely ready as a team.

Old Dog
12-11-2011, 05:45 PM
One thing for sure, the UIL don't give a continental darn about the travel, just so long as they get their 15% of the gate...........

Tejastrue
12-11-2011, 05:59 PM
I really dont think it matters much. I bet we travel the night before and spend the night. I'm not sure this is happening, it just seems the thing to do. Hell, we could easily collect the money privately to make this happen. That way, they would wake up early Friday and work out..then get their gamefaces on. Anyone know if we are indeed travelling the day before?

Even if we do not travel the day before, I am not too concerned about a 4 hour bus ride. This is the Big Show, dammit!!

I see where we are having a community pep rally Thursday night, 7:00 at Texan stadium. My guess is they are not.

BaseballUmp
12-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Just leave after the pep rally. Sleep in late and then get the day started

Tejastrue
12-11-2011, 06:13 PM
Just leave after the pep rally. Sleep in late and then get the day started

They just may do that. Would be a great plan.

BaseballUmp
12-11-2011, 06:14 PM
I remember in baseball my junior year we left after graduation to head to Huntsville for a game the next day. Didn't affect us and it was fun for us all

raider red 2000
12-11-2011, 06:35 PM

This long ride gets us out for Christmas early :)
- we will make up the day in the spring.

Eagle 1
12-11-2011, 07:43 PM
One thing for sure, the UIL don't give a continental darn about the travel, just so long as they get their 15% of the gate...........

Amen to that.

Gone Fishing
12-11-2011, 09:37 PM

I see where we are having a community pep rally Thursday night, 7:00 at Texan stadium. My guess is they are not.

There is a community pep rally Thursday night and the Charter buses are leaving at 7:00 Friday with pre game meal in Arlington area. I think its the smart thing. Can you imagine trying to handle 65 football players in a hotel somewhere the night before Jerry's World?

YTBulldogs
12-11-2011, 10:19 PM
There is a community pep rally Thursday night and the Charter buses are leaving at 7:00 Friday with pre game meal in Arlington area. I think its the smart thing. Can you imagine trying to handle 65 football players in a hotel somewhere the night before Jerry's World?

Just hope they don't sustain bus lag. :(

Tejastrue
12-11-2011, 10:57 PM

I don't see a problem with it. They are all perfect little angels. :clap: lol....

Matthew328
12-12-2011, 06:51 AM
travel hasn't been a big deal in state title games in the past...

Trinity beat Judson in San Antonio and Round Rock, they also beat Austin Westlake in San Antonio
Katy beat Pflugerville in San Antonio
I think Southlake pummeled Smithson Valley in the Alamodome one year
Allen beat Hightower at Reliant
Just last year DFW teams Trinity, Guyer and Ryan all lost to Pearland, Cibolo Steele and Lake Travis at Cowboys

Tejastrue
12-12-2011, 01:07 PM
travel hasn't been a big deal in state title games in the past...

Trinity beat Judson in San Antonio and Round Rock, they also beat Austin Westlake in San Antonio
Katy beat Pflugerville in San Antonio
I think Southlake pummeled Smithson Valley in the Alamodome one year
Allen beat Hightower at Reliant

Just last year DFW teams Trinity, Guyer and Ryan all lost to Pearland, Cibolo Steele and Lake Travis at Cowboys

Thanks for posting. Makes me feel even better about our chances.

Emerson1
12-12-2011, 01:24 PM
What's the difference between sitting on a bus for a couple hours and sitting in a cramped desk? At least the coaches have their positions all grouped together and they don't have any outside distractions. It's not like they are going to roll in 10 minutes before kickoff. They can also make pit stops and jog a couple laps around a parking lot lol.

garciap77
12-12-2011, 01:34 PM
Refugio could walk to their game and beat everybody from 5A on down by 50+......:D

(How am I doin', garcia?:D)

Travel is a consideration, 3Afan, but I'll bet that many of these teams would literally walk to get to play at Cowboy Stadium, especially those making their first trip.

It's always 60+ points, not 50+, unless they are playing the Dallas Cowboys, then it would be 50+......:D

P.S. Refugio could beat an "All Star" team from East Texas!:D

rb585
12-12-2011, 03:34 PM

To me, there seems to be much more excitement in the community about this game than there was for the 2005 game, and it's because of Cowboys Stadium. (2005 was at Waco ISD.) I don't think anyone cares about the travel discrepancies.

Matthew328
12-12-2011, 03:38 PM
is Wimberley going to have school Friday, when I called this morning they had no decided