PDA

View Full Version : Sumlin to be the next coach in Aggieland

coach
12-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Espn just broke the news.

as an aggie, im not to sure about this one. i felt we needed to get a more defenive minded coach, but we will see...

Old Tiger
12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Poor Sumlin...just committed career suicide.

Wonder if he'll retain the RB coach....if not I look for Trey Williams to start looking at other schools.

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2011, 03:29 PM
Poor Sumlin...just committed career suicide.

Wonder if he'll retain the RB coach....if not I look for Trey Williams to start looking at other schools.

I got to talk with the HC of Williams for our game this week and he said the same thing..with all the turmoil at A&M Trey is worried about who will end up where

coach
12-07-2011, 03:29 PM
eh...if i were him id rather get blown out by bama than southern miss

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 03:43 PM
It is not final yet. It is leaning heavily to him but word is that Petersen at Boise has not officially said No. Petersen was at Oregon when Bill Byrne was there and their families are close. The next 12 hours could be interesting.

Old Tiger
12-07-2011, 03:44 PM
It is not final yet. It is leaning heavily to him but word is that Petersen at Boise has not officially said No. Petersen was at Oregon when Bill Byrne was there and their families are close. The next 12 hours could be interesting.Everyone knows that Petersen isn't going to coach A&M. He is soon to be the next HC at Texas after 2012 or 2013.

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Everyone knows that Petersen isn't going to coach A&M. He is soon to be the next HC at Texas after 2012 or 2013.

Well, thanks for letting us in on your inside information. The only reason Sumlin has not been announced is that Petersen has not told Byrne no. Believe what you want.

Old Tiger
12-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Well, thanks for letting us in on your inside information. The only reason Sumlin has not been announced is that Petersen has not told Byrne no. Believe what you want.I'll believe what I know ;)

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Well, thanks for letting us in on your inside information. The only reason Sumlin has not been announced is that Petersen has not told Byrne no. Believe what you want.

From people I talked to..I do believe Peterson has been told he would be UT coach in no less than 3 years...but I also believe he is not 100% sure that will actually happen..plus he is not real keen on taking over a A&M program that at best will get 5 wins the next couple of years

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 04:06 PM
From people I talked to..I do believe Peterson has been told he would be UT coach in no less than 3 years...but I also believe he is not 100% sure that will actually happen..plus he is not real keen on taking over a A&M program that at best will get 5 wins the next couple of years

I can't speak to the first part, but you and I both know all these guys have egos. If I'm A&M and a coach really thinks that A&M can only win 5 games, then he's certainly not my coach. I have a hard time thinking a guy like Petersen would have such a defeatist attitude.

Back to the first part, how many times have these 'coach in waiting' type things really worked out?

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I can't speak to the first part, but you and I both know all these guys have egos. If I'm A&M and a coach really thinks that A&M can only win 5 games, then he's certainly not my coach. I have a hard time thinking a guy like Petersen would have such a defeatist attitude.

Back to the first part, how many times have these 'coach in waiting' type things really worked out?

exactly..that is why I dont think he told anyone no unless he was not wanting to go there ala UCLA...as far as ego, I think it more being a realist and knowing going into the SEC west with no real studs means your going to take lumps and perception will be your not doing the job...ego or not, the great ones make sure the new job is ready to advance

carter08
12-07-2011, 04:19 PM
sumlin, sumlin, sumlin

and just a day after the announcement that we're going to the big east after next season

houston is going to be more competitive in the big east than the aggies are going to be in the SEC
but, yeah, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Pick6
12-07-2011, 04:46 PM
Sumlin will have a QB in waiting, Johnny Manziel, that will be able to run his offense.

big daddy russ
12-07-2011, 05:09 PM
Whole lot of folks on this board either don't seem to realize or don't want to realize that the A&M program is a sleeping giant. Facilities, talent, and fan base are already in place.

BEAST
12-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Whole lot of folks on this board either don't seem to realize or don't want to realize that the A&M program is a sleeping giant. Facilities, talent, and fan base are already in place.

I agree with that statement 100%. Just need that coach that can inspire.

BEAST

buff4ever
12-07-2011, 05:14 PM

For some reason only aggies feel that way about a&m. I am one of them. I think that we can stir things up pretty quick in the sec with the right system and a small attitude/confidence swing. Some horn fans may know that, but they definetely don't want to say it out loud; and are praying for the worse for a&m so that they can rub it in next year. As if one year makes a big difference in the grand scheme.

big daddy russ
12-07-2011, 05:30 PM
For some reason only aggies feel that way about a&m. I am one of them. I think that we can stir things up pretty quick in the sec with the right system and a small attitude/confidence swing. Some horn fans may know that, but they definetely don't want to say it out loud; and are praying for the worse for a&m so that they can rub it in next year. As if one year makes a big difference in the grand scheme.
Aggies aren't the only ones who feel that way, just the only ones in the state of Texas. I'm an Auburn fan first and foremost, but admit I root for the Ags. You'll hear recruiting experts, ESPN personalities, and college coaches talk about A&M being a program that's waiting to wake up.

Bullaholic
12-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Aggies aren't the only ones who feel that way, just the only ones in the state of Texas. I'm an Auburn fan first and foremost, but admit I root for the Ags. You'll hear recruiting experts, ESPN personalities, and college coaches talk about A&M being a program that's waiting to wake up.

I'm a TCU fan first, and a UT fan second, but I support every Texas team. I think a healthy aTm program is good for the sport, good for Texas, and good for aTm's Texas rivals. . Too bad they jumped ship out of the Big 12 to the SEC. I think things in the Big 12 could have had more of a old SWC neighborhood feeling with the addition of TCU. Sure like to see Houston go Big 12 instead of Big East.

OldBison75
12-07-2011, 05:51 PM
I am a Longhorn fan and I will tell you all that the right coach in Aggieland could create a top 10 program in very short order. They have the facilities and backing to get things done, and, whether anyone believes it or not, the athletes are there now to be pretty darn good. The last 2 classes were especially good recruits and just need a system and coach to put the puzzle together. Peterson would be great, Sumlin will have a tough time because his defensive program needs help, and Fedora has the emotional coaching style that can cause these guys to get excited. I would like to see Fedora there because of the emotional play we would see and I believe he is truly the type coach that can bring the Aggie Administration, Student Body, and the Alumni together.

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 05:55 PM
exactly..that is why I dont think he told anyone no unless he was not wanting to go there ala UCLA...as far as ego, I think it more being a realist and knowing going into the SEC west with no real studs means your going to take lumps and perception will be your not doing the job...ego or not, the great ones make sure the new job is ready to advance

I disagree on the studs. I think if you go back and look at A&M's recruting (one thing Sherman was good at) and this team has some talent on campus. They need some help in the DL, but they are very close to having SEC caliber talent on that roster. Again, we are talking about an A&M team that for almost 3 quarters, pretty much dominated the #3 team in the nation in OSU. They had Arkansas down. Should have beaten Mizzou, etc. It's what got Sherman fired, but this team could have very reasonably been 10-2.

injuredinmelee
12-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Everyone knows that Petersen isn't going to coach A&M. He is soon to be the next HC at Texas after 2012 or 2013. I hope youre wrong. I want Briles at Texas.

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 09:13 PM
Very reliable source says A&M job has been offered to chris petersen.

Phil C
12-07-2011, 10:40 PM
I heard Suh was going to leave the NFL to coach the Aggies.

Saggy Aggie
12-08-2011, 12:23 AM
Hearing that Petersen has rejected the offer, but we'll see. Nothing official yet

Old Tiger
12-08-2011, 12:31 AM
College Station is just not a cool place...and if you are black and not an athlete it isn't the place for you.

OldNavy
12-08-2011, 06:31 AM
College Station is just not a cool place...and if you are black and not an athlete it isn't the place for you.

How do you justify this comment in this thread? Why would you make a statement like this?

1st and goal
12-08-2011, 06:58 AM

Because about 3 out of 4 posts, he shows off his maturity level. I think he's on his 3rd or 4th sig for this board. Been kicked off, benched, etc plenty before. He's already stated that A&M won't hire a black coach before. I guess he doesn't let his maturity get in the way of his hornfan attitude.

Macarthur
12-08-2011, 07:18 AM

Really?