PDA

View Full Version : Another BCS travesty

Emerson1
12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/daily-take/201112/biggest-travesty-bowl-season

defense51
12-06-2011, 10:21 PM
I keep saying I'm not gonna read anymore BCS threads, but I always do and the BCS gives me heartburn.

Emerson1
12-06-2011, 10:44 PM
This is more bowl BS.

Phil C
12-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Bowl games didn't always get it right just like the BSC. I remember Pittsburgh in 1963 had a 9-1 record and only lost to No. 2 Navy and didn't get invited to a bowl. What was unfair is that Washington at 6-4 (a team Pittsburgh beat), SMU at 4- 6, andddd Mississippi State at 6-2-2 all got bowls but Pittsburgh got stumped so even then it was about money.
Also in 1969 LSU didn't get to go to a bowl with a 9-1 record while Alabama at 5-5 (a team LSU had beat) and Mississippi at 7-3 got to go.

waterboy
12-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Bowl games didn't always get it right just like the BSC. I remember Pittsburgh in 1963 had a 9-1 record and only lost to No. 2 Navy and didn't get invited to a bowl. What was unfair is that Washington at 6-4 (a team Pittsburgh beat), SMU at 4- 6, andddd Mississippi State at 6-2-2 all got bowls but Pittsburgh got stumped so even then it was about money.
Also in 1969 LSU didn't get to go to a bowl with a 9-1 record while Alabama at 5-5 (a team LSU had beat) and Mississippi at 7-3 got to go.
I can't remember which coach it was that said that the BCS should NEVER have two teams in the championship game that are not conference champions, no matter what conference is better. That's the case here. I'm not arguing that Alabama is not the second best team in the country, but I think you could make an argument that Oklahoma State, or even Stanford should get a shot at LSU. Remember that Okie Light lost to a good Iowa State team in OT the week that they lost a couple of coaches due to a plane crash. You know they had heavy hearts when they played that game. If not for the tragedy, I think OK State probably goes undefeated. What would've happened then?

The BCS is a joke, in my opinion, and a bad one at that. It's time for a change, at least for a +1, where the top four teams play each other. One of these days when the Super Conferences swallow up enough schools, there will be a true playoff system, but until then we'll have to put up with this BCS farce.