PDA

View Full Version : Article on Jonathon Gray's celebration

turbostud
12-06-2011, 01:28 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Statistically-speaking-TD-high-step-may-cost-RB?urn=highschool-wp9432

could cost him some records.

Maroon87
12-06-2011, 01:35 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Statistically-speaking-TD-high-step-may-cost-RB?urn=highschool-wp9432

could cost him some records.

There's a link at the bottom of the main story to an article about him posting stuff on Twitter and Facebook regarding his ejection. Kids these days...lol

turbostud
12-06-2011, 01:41 PM
There's a link at the bottom of the main story to an article about him posting stuff on Twitter and Facebook regarding his ejection. Kids these days...lol

I'm glad all this technology wasnt around when I was young. I would be in trouble. Now I am to old to give a crap about it.

LionFan72
12-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Holy moly, when will the stupidity stop?

Blastoderm55
12-06-2011, 09:18 PM
He should have known better. I could understand a player who has never scored a touchdown doing this, but come on. He's won two titles and is the crown jewel of UT's recruiting class. Hopefully the ejection will bring him back to earth.

Sportshack
12-08-2011, 10:28 AM
I think the flag was silly. His high stepping was pretty darned innocuous. And it was a 2nd meeting between two rivalry teams that did not go well the 1st time around for Aledo. I am sure his emotions were riding high.

Eagle 1
12-08-2011, 10:47 AM
My Gosh we live in such a LIBERAL world.
WTH happened? High stepping into the endzone....BIG FREEKING DEAL!
IF THE DEFENSE HAD DONE THEIR JOB THEN HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HIGH STEP INTO THE ENDZONE!!!
We are hendering our youth now days and it's going to come back and bite us in the A$$.
If it hurt some parents feelings because he high stepped into the endzone and taunted their beloved candy @$$ kid, then WhAAA...WhAA...
Crybaby, FOOTBALL IS NOT A GAME FOR NICE PEOPLE!
WAKE UP AMERICA!....

Ok, I'll step down off my soapbox.
Carry on.

GrTigers6
12-08-2011, 11:08 AM
Wether or not it was bad or not it is clearly against the rules. Again I say why celebrate before you score. That is the dumbest thing ever. Look at all the pros who drop the ball or have it batted out before they score. It just looks dumb.

raider red 2000
12-08-2011, 12:13 PM
IF THE DEFENSE HAD DONE THEIR JOB THEN HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN ABLE TO HIGH STEP INTO THE ENDZONE!!!
We are hendering our youth now days and it's going to come back and bite us in the A$$.
If it hurt some parents feelings because he high stepped into the endzone and taunted their beloved candy @$$ kid, then WhAAA...WhAA...
WAKE UP AMERICA!....

Carry on.

i see it as being more up tight concervative than the liberals.

I actually like the guys like suh that stomp on people more than the guys that think its all about them.

TexDoc
12-08-2011, 12:19 PM
WAKE UP AMERICA!....

Carry on.

Someone already mentioned this, but this is not liberal my friend. Liberalism would allow about anything to happen. This is a very conservative rule.

TexDoc
12-08-2011, 12:22 PM
I totally agree with both call, the throat slashing and the high-stepping penalties. That's exactly what we officials have been told to flag.

CenTexSports
12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Liberal is - Don't hurt anyone's feelings, Political Correctness, and everybody play nice. The intent of this rule is OK but it is vague and subjective (and very punitive). I would prefer to see it go back to a live ball foul penalized as a dead ball. At least this way a team is still penalized but the score is not nullified.

GrTigers6
12-08-2011, 12:37 PM
WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Liberal is - Don't hurt anyone's feelings, Political Correctness, and everybody play nice. The intent of this rule is OK but it is vague and subjective (and very punitive). I would prefer to see it go back to a live ball foul penalized as a dead ball. At least this way a team is still penalized but the score is not nullified.in this instance thr rule is very clear. it states throat slashing in particular as well as obviuos change in stride. that is pretty straight forward.

LionFan72
12-08-2011, 12:44 PM
The whole concept stinks! Why have we allowed the officials to take "control" of the game with a subjective call such as this? Why have coaches and parents allowed their teenagers to act with this attempt at "disrespect?" All of this childish behavior has trancended from the professional ranks, and it is even more childish at that level. If the coaches bench the their players for taunting, unsportsmanlike acts, then guess what, it won't happen anymore. 2nd occurence of same foul, kick their butts off the team, send the message this is not going to be tolerated.

Penalizing the whole team should send the message, but it has not stopped the players from acting out. Yes, i know emotions are high, but the accomplishment of scoring is not an individual act, so why do they seem to want all the credit? Selfishness, then isolate that selfish player and give him some time to accept his actions. Pass the box........

CenTexSports
12-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Yes but there are numerous other things that are much less noticable that carry the same penalty. As for the throat slash, I still like to penalize as a dead ball and eject the player.

I did not have this in any game I called this year but it seems like every time it is called it has been in a critical situation and most of the ones I have seen video on were minor in my opinion.

GrTigers6
12-08-2011, 12:48 PM
The whole concept stinks! Why have we allowed the officials to take "control" of the game with a subjective call such as this? Why have coaches and parents allowed their teenagers to act with this attempt at "disrespect?" All of this childish behavior has trancended from the professional ranks, and it is even more childish at that level. If the coaches bench the their players for taunting, unsportsmanlike acts, then guess what, it won't happen anymore. 2nd occurence of same foul, kick their butts off the team, send the message this is not going to be tolerated.

Penalizing the whole team should send the message, but it has not stopped the players from acting out. Yes, i know emotions are high, but the accomplishment of scoring is not an individual act, so why do they seem to want all the credit? Selfishness, then isolate that selfish player and give him some time to accept his actions. Pass the box........Officials dont control the game as to who wins and loses. they call the fouls that the players make in accordance to what they see and interpret. The majority of officials dont want to make a call that changes the outcome of a game. However the players doing stupid things they know can be considered a penalty, makes them have to, to keep control of the game.

LionFan72
12-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Officials dont control the game as to who wins and loses. they call the fouls that the players make in accordance to what they see and interpret. The majority of officials dont want to make a call that changes the outcome of a game. However the players doing stupid things they know can be considered a penalty, makes them have to, to keep control of the game.
I agree 99.9% of the time, but there are a few celebration/taunting calls that are really questionable that do have negative game impacts. I am not arguing the fact that of rule, just whom and how to stop it. I do appreciate the job officials do, it is not easy, and I also know holding could be called every play....lol!

GrTigers6
12-08-2011, 01:05 PM
I agree 99.9% of the time, but there are a few celebration/taunting calls that are really questionable that do have negative game impacts. I am not arguing the fact that of rule, just whom and how to stop it. I do appreciate the job officials do, it is not easy, and I also know holding could be called every play....lol!I agree they need to clarify the celebration rules

Tejastrue
12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
I wonder how many throat slashes, fist pumps, or high steps Ken Hall performed during his storied career? My guess zero.

LionFan72
12-08-2011, 02:22 PM
I wonder how many throat slashes, fist pumps, or high steps Ken Hall performed during his storied career? My guess zero.

I can only imagine he would have been too tired to lift anything, pump anything, or waste those high steps!

Eagle 1
12-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Someone already mentioned this, but this is not liberal my friend. Liberalism would allow about anything to happen. This is a very conservative rule.

NOPE....Liberal in my eyes. Don't hurt anybody's feelings...wha...wha...wha......

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. Liberal is - Don't hurt anyone's feelings, Political Correctness, and everybody play nice. The intent of this rule is OK but it is vague and subjective (and very punitive). I would prefer to see it go back to a live ball foul penalized as a dead ball. At least this way a team is still penalized but the score is not nullified.

Exactly.

Manso/V8
12-09-2011, 01:03 AM

Exactly........there seems to be a huge generational divide on this issue.

Additup
12-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Yes but there are numerous other things that are much less noticable that carry the same penalty. As for the throat slash, I still like to penalize as a dead ball and eject the player.

I did not have this in any game I called this year but it seems like every time it is called it has been in a critical situation and most of the ones I have seen video on were minor in my opinion.
It ain't getting called in close college games. I can't see a college official stepping in that mess. It'll be a no call unless it's egregious...VEGAS will get the rule changed when the payout swaps on a live ball celebration.

neck_06
12-09-2011, 01:00 PM
WAKE UP AMERICA!....

Carry on.

Agree 100%.

Eagle 1
12-09-2011, 01:06 PM
Exactly........there seems to be a huge generational divide on this issue.

Actually, I'm one of the older folks on here that is against this rule.

BEAST
12-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Ill bet you Ken Hall pumped his fists. Hell, he was probably able to do whatever the hell he wanted.

BEAST