PDA

View Full Version : Coach Voting In BCS Poll

Bullaholic
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM
I have a problem with coaches voting in the BCS poll. It is a big conflict of interest. I think coaches do not vote on the the basis of who they think deserves a BCS or NC shot, but rather on the basis of how it will help their team or conference. Sometimes I think vendettas are carried out. This needs to be changed. They removed the sports writers from the voting, why not remove any coach who has a dog in the hunt from voting? I think OSU got torpedoed by this process this season.

GrTigers6
12-06-2011, 09:45 AM
I have a problem with coaches voting in the BCS poll. It is a big conflict of interest. I think coaches do not vote on the the basis of who they think deserves a BCS or NC shot, but rather on the basis of how it will help their team or conference. Sometimes I think vendettas are carried out. This needs to be changed. They removed the sports writers from the voting, why not remove any coach who has a dog in the hunt from voting? I think OSU got torpedoed by this process this season.Which is a big reason it should be called the "BS" poll

Farmersfan
12-06-2011, 09:49 AM
None of it really matters Bull! It's college football and everybody knows college football is all about the dollars while trying to maintain the outward appearance of being about the student athletes, sportsmanship and fair play! It's a huge scam.............................

Black_Magic
12-06-2011, 10:03 AM
None of it really matters Bull! It's college football and everybody knows college football is all about the dollars while trying to maintain the outward appearance of being about the student athletes, sportsmanship and fair play! It's a huge scam............................. Until you have some sort of Playoff you will not escape the crap of it. It would be very easy to let Alabama face OSU and then Let LSU face Stanford in two bowl games as usual.. THEN let the winner of those two play for the National championship... Its complete BS for the Third place team in the SEC to play against the Number one team of the SEC for the title... Heck its strong but no way the best out of the big 12 is not as good as #3 from the SEC..

Bullaholic
12-06-2011, 10:19 AM
The BCS reminds me of our political system---most Americans hate the biggest part of it, but yet will never do anything about it. (This was an analogy. Please no political rants to get this thread closed---Thanks).

NTFan
12-06-2011, 11:26 AM
It is all about the $$$.....sad to say...but true. That's the only thing keeping the current system in place, and I don't see any way that it ever changes. The best we can hope for is a +1 system like the one mentioned above. The thing that makes college basketball so great, is that every spring, there is a CHANCE that some no-name team can come from out of nowhere and win a national championship. If the NCAA ever moved to a 16-team playoff format......there would be that same excitement! But it ain't happenin' folks. No one can comprehend the money that schools, the NCAA, and individuals make off the current format. Money talks, and this system is unfortunately here to stay.....I personally think a +1 format would be better than the current system, and I do believe it will happen sometime in the near future. But, wouldn't it be great to watch a REAL championship game?

NastySlot
12-06-2011, 11:51 AM
SEC Commish Slive pushed for a plus one...but no one was interested than:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-wetzel_sec_reaps_reward_rejection_120311

a little excerpt:
When Slive drew up his “plus one” plan, he was reacting to 2004, when a 13-0 Auburn team got snubbed from the title game. He wanted a more expansive postseason that would assure his teams a chance to settle things on the field.

So in 2008, he unveiled his plan, which he thought would not only help the SEC but improve the sport overall. Before the BCS meeting, he said, “I think we will be able to discuss at a high level a tangible concept that has been [hashed] through.”

Instead, there was no discussion. High level or low.

The reason? That a “plus one” would prove so popular and profitable that there would be pressure to expand it, something the powerful bowl lobby opposes.

“Even though we could construct barriers at this time, we felt like there could be easily an erosion of that, more pressure to add more teams with an ability to get to the national championship game as we went over time,” then-Big 12 commissioner Dan Beebe explained at the time.

Fear of success was enough for some to scream for silence.

so in anothers words whether or not it s a plus one or a system that gets too big....there is more money to be made in a playoff for the championship and like the article said keep the bowls simular to basketball's NIT.