PDA

View Full Version : Division II Semi-Finals (III & IV): Coldspring vs. Wimberley Rematch

Pages : [1] 2

Trojanswin
12-03-2011, 10:44 PM
Gametime 7:30
Bastrop
Wimberley is home team

HEMOTOXIC
12-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Friday?

Trojanswin
12-03-2011, 11:51 PM
Friday

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 12:24 AM
It seems as if this has been written since last year, at least to me. Here we are, and here we go! Let the trash talk commence!!!

Manso/V8
12-04-2011, 12:36 AM
This will be a good one! With the return of Coldspring offensive production, I am not sure who will take the W........but I am leaning toward Coldspring. Coldspring is better than any team the Texans have faced this year.......Sealy would be the closest, but Sealy's strength comes from a few players. Coldspring has a whole bunch of playmakers, has faster individual players, is faster as a team overall, and plays with great intensity. Wimberley will need to execute well, up their passing game, minimize mistakes, and force Coldspring in to making mistakes. The biggest problem Coldspring has had in the playoffs is shooting themselves in the foot with mistakes and penalites..........that and having to face Bellville in the 2nd round!

lbjacj
12-04-2011, 12:51 AM
This will be a good one! With the return of Coldspring offensive production, I am not sure who will take the W........but I am leaning toward Coldspring. Coldspring is better than any team the Texans have faced this year.......Sealy would be the closest, but Sealy's strength comes from a few players. Coldspring has a whole bunch of playmakers, has faster individual players, is faster as a team overall, and plays with great intensity. Wimberley will need to execute well, up their passing game, minimize mistakes, and force Coldspring in to making mistakes. The biggest problem Coldspring has had in the playoffs is shooting themselves in the foot with mistakes and penalites..........that and having to face Bellville in the 2nd round!

Wimberley will be the underdog for the first time since our game last year. I just hope they play to their potential! Win or lose! Last years performance was not Texanlike.

ogg
12-04-2011, 12:55 AM
The stage was set for this matchup back in August.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM
We absolutely can win this game...if we step it up on offense (which we definitely can do), and keep the intensity on defense like it was tonight. We are positioned well to take this game!

Sportshack
12-04-2011, 12:57 AM

Wimberley knows Coldspring all too well. They are athletic especially on defense. The bright spot for Texans is that their defense is just better than last year. Fonville and Alana were both out. And Smith played sparingly. The bad news is that the WHS offensive line was better last year and could not run for a darn yard. Wimberley a bit more diverse this year...and a few additional weapons like Smith, more Kelley, Cameron Morris. They will have to get creative to score and play really good defense. I think the secondary will get tested a bit. ALthough, CS likes to run.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Wimberley knows Coldspring all too well. They are athletic especially on defense. The bright spot for Texans is that their defense is just better than last year. Fonville and Alana were both out. And Smith played sparingly. The bad news is that the WHS offensive line was better last year and could not run for a darn yard. Wimberley a bit more diverse this year...and a few additional weapons like Smith, more Kelley, Cameron Morris. They will have to get creative to score and play really good defense. I think the secondary will get tested a bit. ALthough, CS likes to run.

If we play our best game of the year, we can win this game. It's time to put all the excuses and "reasons" aside. Perform well, we can win this game. Perform less than our best, we will lose this game. We ARE the underdog in this match. Time to become a Championship quality team, and get it done.

Sportshack
12-04-2011, 01:14 AM
If we play our best game of the year, we can win this game. It's time to put all the excuses and "reasons" aside. Perform well, we can win this game. Perform less than our best, we will lose this game. We ARE the underdog in this match. Time to become a Championship quality team, and get it done.

I always think about a dropped TD pass at the 3 minute mark of 4th qtr last year that would have made score 26-21 Coldspring and at least given WHS a chance at end despite all of the setbacks. The skills players are all older and wiser...the defense is better...and Wimberley does have talent. Therefore, If they play well as you suggest that have a fair chance at going to the show. Very accurate post.

Manso/V8
12-04-2011, 01:55 AM
Since the Wimberley folks like stats, here is a chron.com link that lists stats ( probably not exact) and has the boxscores for all but one of Coldspring's games this year. Most of their regular season was against fairly weak teams, it started getting tougher at the Huffman game. You can tell that they did a very good job at shutting down the run against most teams........and even though some of the teams were relatively weak, they still are Texas high school teams! A couple of teams were able to move the ball through the air......that should be a mark in Wimberley's favor.

http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?mkt=houston&site=default&tpl=team&Sport=1&TeamID=163&SchoolID=&Season=2011&DistrictID=&SearchDate=12%2F04%2F11&SearchDateEnd=12%2F04%2F11&SearchLastName=&SearchFirstName=&Market=9&SearchType=Teams

the genious
12-04-2011, 02:04 AM
http://www.chron.com/sports/highschool/scoreboard/?mkt=houston&site=default&tpl=team&Sport=1&TeamID=163&SchoolID=&Season=2011&DistrictID=&SearchDate=12%2F04%2F11&SearchDateEnd=12%2F04%2F11&SearchLastName=&SearchFirstName=&Market=9&SearchType=Teams

Seems like the coach got a good thing going there as far as shaping other players.. The #2 running back behind Gilberts is playin the role Gilbert played to Cummins last year and if he comes back next year (idk what grade he is) he would take over the reigns.... seems to be working... If that makes sence

lbjacj
12-04-2011, 09:44 AM
Where's the poll??

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 11:03 AM

W.O.W.

We have our work cut out for us. Check out Gilbert. 34 TD's? Almost 11 yards a carry? This isnt going to be easy. I can say this even at this early date...to beat Coldspring, we MUST keep their offense off the field with long, sustained, clock eating drives. This is a TALL order when you look at their defense.

lbjacj
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
W.O.W.

We have our work cut out for us. Check out Gilbert. 34 TD's? Almost 11 yards a carry? This isnt going to be easy. I can say this even at this early date...to beat Coldspring, we MUST keep their offense off the field with long, sustained, clock eating drives. This is a TALL order when you look at their defense.

One thing stands out in their district showdown with Huffman Hargrave and in their close playoff games are the turnovers and penalties. If our D can get some turnovers we have a shot at winning but our O has to play their best game of the year and that will be tough against their D.

Manso/V8
12-04-2011, 12:11 PM
W.O.W.

Watch out for their kick and punt returns.......we lost our slim 4th quarter lead (7-6) to an 80 yard punt return. According to the boxscore the returner was Douglas Johnson.
I am pretty sure it was the only one returned for a TD on us all year. We literally had 3 defenders around him near the sideline, he appeared to be lowering his head to get ready to be tackled, squirted out, cut for the middle of the field and was gone! The kid can fly. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the fastest kid on the field......and I am guessing he is a sophomore. That is the one play I would like to see film of from our game. We had him surrounded at the sideline and yet he got free.....I think it was a combination of Johnson's speed and athleticism, the Coldspring style of never give up, and our players hesitating a bit on committing to the tackle for fear of getting burned and THEY GOT BURNED.

Sorry if I keep going on about our game with them, but it was an impressive display and I am trying to give the Wimberley folks a sense of how Coldspring is playing this year.......maybe it is no different than how they played last yer. We had are chance to topple the giant and let it slip away. No excuses or hard feelings on our part. For most of the Bellville fans it was like WOW, what a game. It wasn't the typical stinging feeling after a close loss, sure we were disappointed, but mostly we were impressed with the effort put out by both teams. I think the game taught our team a lot, like how to play at a higher speed, higher intensity, and greater effort across the board at all positions. I think that loss will pay off for us in spades with our returning sophomores and juniors.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Watch out for their kick and punt returns.......we lost our slim 4th quarter lead (7-6) to an 80 yard punt return. According to the boxscore the returner was Douglas Johnson.
I am pretty sure it was the only one returned for a TD on us all year. We literally had 3 defenders around him near the sideline, he appeared to be lowering his head to get ready to be tackled, squirted out, cut for the middle of the field and was gone! The kid can fly. I wouldn't be surprised if he was the fastest kid on the field......and I am guessing he is a sophomore. That is the one play I would like to see film of from our game. We had him surrounded at the sideline and yet he got free.....I think it was a combination of Johnson's speed and athleticism, the Coldspring style of never give up, and our players hesitating a bit on committing to the tackle for fear of getting burned and THEY GOT BURNED.

Sorry if I keep going on about our game with them, but it was an impressive display and I am trying to give the Wimberley folks a sense of how Coldspring is playing this year.......maybe it is no different than how they played last yer. We had are chance to topple the giant and let it slip away. No excuses or hard feelings on our part. For most of the Bellville fans it was like WOW, what a game. It wasn't the typical stinging feeling after a close loss, sure we were disappointed, but mostly we were impressed with the effort put out by both teams. I think the game taught our team a lot, like how to play at a higher speed, higher intensity, and greater effort across the board at all positions. I think that loss will pay off for us in spades with our returning sophomores and juniors.

No, we want input from anyone if they played them this year. It helps us armchair QB's try and justify why it is we are going to win! LOL. Honestly, we know what we are up against. It's not quite the David/Goliath story, we are close in talent and abilities. We just know we will have to have the absolute best game of the year to topple Coldspring...or....Coldspring must have a meltdown. I prefer the hoping for the former versus hoping for the latter.

YTBulldogs
12-04-2011, 12:21 PM
Can a poll be added to this game please?

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 12:24 PM
One thing stands out in their district showdown with Huffman Hargrave and in their close playoff games are the turnovers and penalties. If our D can get some turnovers we have a shot at winning but our O has to play their best game of the year and that will be tough against their D.

There is our biggest hope...that since the play offs started (and their opponent toughened), Coldspring's production and performance wasnt as stellar as the regular season (they did have a weaker schedule than we did). It's a slim hope to base a win on, but every little bit helps. Again, as we move through the week and we analyis the stats, it really isnt going to matter much in this game. It will come down to the simplest solution. Perform on Offense at the highest level we have all year, and we can win this game.

YTBulldogs
12-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Is this one being played at Bears Stadium in Bastrop, or that new school they have there?

lbjacj
12-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Is this one being played at Bears Stadium in Bastrop, or that new school they have there?

http://www.texasbob.com/stadium/stadium.php?id=1290

LH Panther Mom
12-04-2011, 02:15 PM

YTBulldogs
12-04-2011, 02:17 PM

Thanks lbjacj. They sure upgraded that complex since I was last there. Last time I was there, was a grass field. Look's pretty dern nice now. See ya there I hope.

Met a few WT fan's yesterday, but---none we're 3ADLer's though. Great crowd huh? Hope this stadium has more urinals?:)

lbjacj
12-04-2011, 02:19 PM
Thanks lbjacj. They sure upgraded that complex since I was last there. Last time I was there, was a grass field. Look's pretty dern nice now. See ya there I hope.

Met a few WT fan's yesterday, but---none we're 3ADLer's though. Great crowd huh? Hope this stadium has more urinals?:)

This is a new stadium built in 2009 out on Hwy 21.

YTBulldogs
12-04-2011, 02:25 PM
Thanks whoever added the poll here. :)

rb585
12-04-2011, 02:37 PM
I'll say it... I like our chances. I think we would have won last year if Alana hadn't been hurt and Dennis so limited. Our D will be much better this year. If our offense plays well and limits mistakes, we will win.

YTBulldogs
12-04-2011, 02:41 PM
Texans return the favor 28-14 and head to Cowboy Stadium. M&G will be at wimbo's hotel with free food and drink. :)

rb585
12-04-2011, 03:05 PM
I've been looking for 2011 video of Coldspring and here's what I have found so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w_y6Rprb1M

Sportshack
12-04-2011, 04:01 PM
I've been looking for 2011 video of Coldspring and here's what I have found so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w_y6Rprb1M

Here are some Sherman Gilbert highlights.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7fhQUj7wKM&feature=related

Sportshack
12-04-2011, 04:05 PM
After watching some of the CS highlights, I think WHS will bring it on the defensive side of ball. Offense will have to click...but Texans got a shot because they go about at producing points and yardage in a variety of ways.

Trojanswin
12-04-2011, 04:28 PM

If you want true Gilbert Highlights, you would have to find the game film from the West-Orange Stark game. Nothing else compares with what he did in that game.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 04:29 PM
If you want true Gilbert Highlights, you would have to find the game film from the West-Orange Stark game. Nothing else compares with what he did in that game.

Do you have any, Trojanswin?

Trojanswin
12-04-2011, 04:33 PM
Any team that makes it to this round is going to be good. I have faith that my Trojans can pull out a win. I quit trying to figure out what is going to happen in the game. Too many high school kids on the field at one time. Anything can happen. Just like last week I look for a tough defensive game. I'm just hoping for a good clean game, good sportsmanship from both teams, and no injuries for either team.

rb585
12-04-2011, 04:38 PM

I liked the drill team highlights better. They don't scare me like Gilbert.

He's just plain faster than anyone else on the field.

I hope we don't kick to him. Actually, I take that back -- I hope we send about 8 kickoffs his way!

Trojanswin
12-04-2011, 05:26 PM
After watching some of the CS highlights, I think WHS will bring it on the defensive side of ball. Offense will have to click...but Texans got a shot because they go about at producing points and yardage in a variety of ways.
If either team is going to have a chance to win this game, they better bring it on both sides of the ball and special teams.
I have not seen Wimberley play this year, but I can assure you that the Coldspring defense is a beast. Well coached, fast, tough, and stingy with points. The offense is capable of putting up 50 points if they don't turn the ball over and can keep the penalties down. If they play this week like they did against WOS, Wimberley better bring their A game if they are going to have a chance.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 05:28 PM
If either team is going to have a chance to win this game, they better bring it on both sides of the ball and special teams.
I have not seen Wimberley play this year, but I can assure you that the Coldspring defense is a beast. Well coached, fast, tough, and stingy with points. The offense is capable of putting up 50 points if they don't turn the ball over and can keep the penalties down. If they play this week like they did against WOS, Wimberley better bring their A game if they are going to have a chance.

I agree completely. Wimberley will have to be at its best on both sides of the ball to win this game. If we are, I feel confident we can bring home a victory. This is not the type of opponent you can have mistakes with and survive. If our offense get on the A-Track, we can win. Our defense will be fine.

Manso/V8
12-04-2011, 06:22 PM
I agree completely. Wimberley will have to be at its best on both sides of the ball to win this game. If we are, I feel confident we can bring home a victory. This is not the type of opponent you can have mistakes with and survive. If our offense get on the A-Track, we can win. Our defense will be fine.

You are not grasping how good the Coldspring defense is.....an important factor is how stout the WHS OL is this year.

ogg
12-04-2011, 06:36 PM
O line needs to start clicking for sure, last year Coldspring denied Lambert throwing time all night.

rb585
12-04-2011, 06:39 PM
You are not grasping how good the Coldspring defense is.....an important factor is how stout the WHS OL is this year.

You should check what we posted after the game last year about the Coldspring D. We couldn't do much of anything last year, even with a better line. Lambert has to be on his game to have a chance.

Trojanswin is right. Neither team has played a team this good. This one is going to be all about who plays better and avoids mistakes. If both teams bring their A games, it's going to be a classic. If someone doesn't bring their A game, it will be a beatdown.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 07:09 PM

What makes you think I'm not "grasping" how good their defense is? It is clearly laid out in the stats that their defense is superior to almost all in 3A, including our defense...only Alvarado and Carthage are higher (at least in the data I am looking at). It's not hard to grasp that concept, so please at least give me THAT much credit. Remember, we played them last year as well.

All I am saying is if our offense is clicking on all cylinders, it will be the best offense they have faced all year. Add to it, our defense could very well be the best defense they have seen all year as well. Add these two things together, and we have a good shot at winning this game. Will it be enough to beat them? I hope so. Its not a hard concept to "grasp".

j_dog
12-04-2011, 07:15 PM
True. WOS caught Gilbert after he had somewhat recovered from his illness. He and CS demolished the team that supposedly was the toughtest defensive team that they had faced all year. No offense intended to other teams, but WOS has a long history of defensive domination. But not this time.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 07:22 PM
True. WOS caught Gilbert after he had somewhat recovered from his illness. He and CS demolished the team that supposedly was the toughtest defensive team that they had faced all year. No offense intended to other teams, but WOS has a long history of defensive domination. But not this time.

WOS's 2011 defense ranks lower than Wimberleys (20.12 vs 17.93), even with an almost identical toughness of schedule rating. Meaningful? Maybe, maybe not. But I think its fair to say the defense Wimberely will bring to the game will be State class level.

rb585
12-04-2011, 07:30 PM

No offense, but our only experience with WOS's long history of defensive domination involved us scoring 52 on a defense that featured two guys who played D for UT.

rb585
12-04-2011, 07:34 PM
http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/tools/txhsfbmatchup.php?team1=Wimberley&site=vs.&team2=Coldspring-Oakhurst

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 07:41 PM
http://www.adjustedstats.com/ratings-stats/tools/txhsfbmatchup.php?team1=Wimberley&site=vs.&team2=Coldspring-Oakhurst

Yep..we are the underdog for the 1st time since our first meeting with Coldspring last year. But unlike the underdog status of our previous opponents this play off season, we are within 4 points of the predicted margin of victory. This means one mistake could sway the game. It also means we must play our usual "good game", and then step it up. We have no room for a slip up. We must be better this coming week than we were against Devine. But thats no surprise to Nelms...getting better each game is the key to winning it all.

lbjacj
12-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Pretty evenly matched according to this...

http://www.highschoolsports.net/massey/matchup/Wimberley-Secondary-School-Wimberley-TX/Football/Varsity/Boys/2011/

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 08:13 PM
Pretty evenly matched according to this...

http://www.highschoolsports.net/massey/matchup/Wimberley-Secondary-School-Wimberley-TX/Football/Varsity/Boys/2011/

Yes we are...but like I said, we are the slight underdog (it was 4 points last week, I see they show 1 point now). I will wait to see what the ratings say come Monday/Tuesday, but I doubt they will change too much this late in the season. In any event, the game will come down to whichever team performs to its highest level. If both teams perform equally well (to their own strengths), then I say it will come down to turnovers, or one/two special team play.

When the rating get this close, it comes down to intangibles. Up to this point, the ratings said we were overwhelmingly the favorite. Not this time!

BTW, the Coldspring-WOS game was predicted to be a blow out by this site, 30-14.

Manso/V8
12-04-2011, 08:28 PM
You should check what we posted after the game last year about the Coldspring D. We couldn't do much of anything last year, even with a better line. Lambert has to be on his game to have a chance.

Trojanswin is right. Neither team has played a team this good. This one is going to be all about who plays better and avoids mistakes. If both teams bring their A games, it's going to be a classic. If someone doesn't bring their A game, it will be a beatdown.

Welcome to Region III......I am sure that Wimberley hasn't played a team as good as Coldspring this year, and perhaps Wimberley will be the best team Coldspring has faced this year, but I am not yet convinced. When good teams face one another, it is often about matchups. I going to use Bellville as a comparison since we probably came closest to beating Coldspring, and Bellville/Wimberley had a common opponent in Sealy. Wimberley has a more balanced offense, with a better passing game than Bellville, but I don't think the OL matches up to what Bellville had this year, and Wimberley doesn't have the same kind of speed that Bellville had in the backfield. Wimberley's backfield is more experienced, Smith is more powerful and Wilson has great vision.....but they are going to have a difficult time breaking loose. Wimberley's defense is probably similar, maybe a little bit better than Bellville's defense this year......if Wimberley's defense has an edge, it would be in pass defense. I do think yall will have a problem with Coldspring's speed, so execution and adherence to assignment will be very important. My assessment on speed is based on Wimberley's difficulty in containing Davis and Seals-Jones. Wimberley definitely has more big game experience which works in the Texans favor, the Bellville kids were a bit awed by the Coldspring experience and took a couple of series to adjust.

We were able to run the ball better than most teams against Coldspring, probably because of the strength of our OL (even though we were missing our All-District blocking TE due to injury), we had pretty quick backs, and we run the Slot-T.....which I am guessing Coldspring doesn't see that often (though I am not sure about that). As a Slot-T team, our passing game is pretty limited and is usually over the top 30+ yd attempts, often on a rollout. Our pass blocking was not as strong as our run blocking and we lacked a short quick passing game and a good screen pass to compensate for the quick penetration of the CS DL and off the edge. Bellville did add a couple plays that were effective.....a half back pass (almost always works in HS football) that resulted in 41 yd TD and a shuffle pass to allow us to get the corner.......getting the corner was more of a challenge without our starting blocking TE. Coldspring has a speed bull rush, their MLB is the best one I have seen all year, and their secondary can fly. Short, quick, well timed passes and the Wimberley screen pass I keep hearing about may be important weapons, but expect Wilson, Smith, and Blakemore to get caught from behind. I doubt if Lambert will be able to rush for big yardage.

Execution and limiting mistakes will be critical for the Texans.....no more snaps over the QB's head! The excessive penalties and fumbles that CS had problems with early in the playoffs seem to have waned......so unless you can force those, don't count on that. They kept us in the game during the first half with penalties, like chop blocks and blocking in the back. My initial take was that Coldspring played dirty, but soon changed my opinion. I don't think they had been challenged like that before and those penalties came out of sheer effort to make the plays AND playoff games tend to be called closer with more experienced officiating crews than regular season games. Here is something that might ranckle yall a little, my personal opinion is that teams that play on grass turf all year tend to make more mistakes and fumble more when they start playing on artificial turf until they get accustomed to it.

I don't have a dog in this fight. You may not like my opinions and the comparisons, but they are just that, my opinions. All you have to do is prove me wrong! I think it will be a great game and I may make the trek to Bastrop to watch it in person.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 08:35 PM
Good input Manso. It's now or never for us, having a senior heavy team. Perform at our best, or go home. It's that simple.

rb585
12-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Wimberley's defense is probably similar, maybe a little bit better than Bellville's defense this year......if Wimberley's defense has an edge, it would be in pass defense.

Swing and a miss, unless Bellville's pass defense is turrible.

Manso/V8
12-04-2011, 09:30 PM
A big thing that Wimberley has going for it is that they find a way a to win games, and that is all it takes to advance.......the problem is, Coldspring seems to have the same strength.

Yall seem so down. I think I am more pumped up about this game than Wimberley. Start rallying the troops. Coldspring can be beat....we let it slip through our hands and IMO big game experience was the deciding factor. Wimberley has that and finds a way to win!

Trojans98
12-04-2011, 09:45 PM
I'm not gonna make a prediction, but what I will say is that the defense is better this year than last year when we faced Wimberley. The offense can really get u if they don't make silly mistakes in the redzone. It really showed this last week against W-OS. We played mistake free in the redzone. If we continue to play like this I think we make it back to Dallas. I wish I could make it to the game.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 09:46 PM
A big thing that Wimberley has going for it is that they find a way a to win games, and that is all it takes to advance.......the problem is, Coldspring seems to have the same strength.

Yall seem so down. I think I am more pumped up about this game than Wimberley. Start rallying the troops. Coldspring can be beat....we let it slip through our hands and IMO big game experience was the deciding factor. Wimberley has that and finds a way to win!

Trust me, we arent down. We are tickled to be here again. Just biding our time before the trash talk begins! LOL Actually, we know this is a game of two very equally talented teams, with similar strength levels, albeit in different areas. Our schedule was somewhat tougher than Coldsprings to get here, but I dont think that matters a lot right now. At this level, the stats are not near as "telling" as when the spread between teams is so wide (as in the games leading up to this one). It's simply a matter of execution and focus. We know how to do that, and plan on doing just that.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm not gonna make a prediction, but what I will say is that the defense is better this year than last year when we faced Wimberley. The offense can really get u if they don't make silly mistakes in the redzone. It really showed this last week against W-OS. We played mistake free in the redzone. If we continue to play like this I think we make it back to Dallas. I wish I could make it to the game.

Thats a big statement Trojans98, cuz your defense was awfully good last year. Our defense is definitely better than last years, and our offense as well...at least when we are hitting all cylinders. Thats what its gonna come down to....who is on their game next Friday night, and who is not. If both teams are on, then its going to be a barn burner!

lbjacj
12-04-2011, 10:04 PM
then its going to be a barn burner!

Bad choice of words for a game in Bastrop!

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Bad choice of words for a game in Bastrop!
hahahahaha!!!!!

Tejastrue
12-04-2011, 10:10 PM
I appreciate your comments Manso but not sure Bellvile is a good gauge at this point.

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 10:12 PM

Yall seem so down.

Give me a few days to consume all the stats and the opinions going around, and I'll give you my take on the upcoming game. Prepare yourself though...I will be predicting a win for Wimberley, of course. Big surprise, right?

wimbo_pro
12-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I appreciate your comments Manso but not sure Bellvile is a good gauge at this point.

True, but there are some similarities. Both Bellville and Wimberley have very similar toughness of schedule ratings, and both have similar defense ratings (Wimberley is slightly higher). One big point to make is Wimberleys offensive rating is substantially higher than Bellvilles...there inlies the difference...and the key to the game.

rb585
12-04-2011, 10:15 PM
First team to 20 wins. It really might come down to which defense scores more points.

Anyone predicting either team to win by more than 7 ought to be banned for cluelessness, even though Los Owls has set the standard for that.

These are two great teams.

YTBulldogs
12-04-2011, 10:16 PM
First team to 20 wins. It really might come down to which defense scores more points.

Anyone predicting either team to win by more than 7 ought to be banned for cluelessness, even though Los Owls has set the standard for that.

Oppps, I'll change my 28-14 Texan victory to 28-21 then. :p

rb585
12-04-2011, 10:20 PM
Oppps, I'll change my 28-14 Texan victory to 28-21 then. :p

Better!!!!!

rb585
12-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Does Coldspring still go for two after every TD?

Manso/V8
12-04-2011, 10:24 PM

I'm not sure either. I was just using Bellville as a comparison/contrast point.....plus I knew that any mention that Bellville might be comparable to Wimberley would get under your skin a little! The only good gauge will be the game. Two really good teams, and I am a fan of both.

Tejastrue
12-04-2011, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure either. I was just using Bellville as a comparison/contrast point.....plus I knew that any mention that Bellville might be comparable to Wimberley would get under your skin a little! The only good gauge will be the game. Two really good teams, and I am a fan of both.

Manso, although it may have appeared to be a diss, it was not my intent. It does not offend me when you use the comparisons. Like you said, it's all you have to go by. I just can't go by Wimberley in week 5 as compared to present time. Just feel we are much better. That is all. The points you make are justified.

HSFB
12-04-2011, 11:38 PM

I like the game being in Bastrop as I would not be surprised to see a large contingent of our Smithville friends show up to pull for the Texans.

Tejastrue
12-04-2011, 11:47 PM
I like the game being in Bastrop as I would not be surprised to see a large contingent of our Smithville friends show up to pull for the Texans.

It's almost like a real home game.

Sportshack
12-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Welcome to Region III......I am sure that Wimberley hasn't played a team as good as Coldspring this year, and perhaps Wimberley will be the best team Coldspring has faced this year, but I am not yet convinced. When good teams face one another, it is often about matchups. I going to use Bellville as a comparison since we probably came closest to beating Coldspring, and Bellville/Wimberley had a common opponent in Sealy. Wimberley has a more balanced offense, with a better passing game than Bellville, but I don't think the OL matches up to what Bellville had this year, and Wimberley doesn't have the same kind of speed that Bellville had in the backfield. Wimberley's backfield is more experienced, Smith is more powerful and Wilson has great vision.....but they are going to have a difficult time breaking loose. Wimberley's defense is probably similar, maybe a little bit better than Bellville's defense this year......if Wimberley's defense has an edge, it would be in pass defense. I do think yall will have a problem with Coldspring's speed, so execution and adherence to assignment will be very important. My assessment on speed is based on Wimberley's difficulty in containing Davis and Seals-Jones. Wimberley definitely has more big game experience which works in the Texans favor, the Bellville kids were a bit awed by the Coldspring experience and took a couple of series to adjust.

We were able to run the ball better than most teams against Coldspring, probably because of the strength of our OL (even though we were missing our All-District blocking TE due to injury), we had pretty quick backs, and we run the Slot-T.....which I am guessing Coldspring doesn't see that often (though I am not sure about that). As a Slot-T team, our passing game is pretty limited and is usually over the top 30+ yd attempts, often on a rollout. Our pass blocking was not as strong as our run blocking and we lacked a short quick passing game and a good screen pass to compensate for the quick penetration of the CS DL and off the edge. Bellville did add a couple plays that were effective.....a half back pass (almost always works in HS football) that resulted in 41 yd TD and a shuffle pass to allow us to get the corner.......getting the corner was more of a challenge without our starting blocking TE. Coldspring has a speed bull rush, their MLB is the best one I have seen all year, and their secondary can fly. Short, quick, well timed passes and the Wimberley screen pass I keep hearing about may be important weapons, but expect Wilson, Smith, and Blakemore to get caught from behind. I doubt if Lambert will be able to rush for big yardage.

Execution and limiting mistakes will be critical for the Texans.....no more snaps over the QB's head! The excessive penalties and fumbles that CS had problems with early in the playoffs seem to have waned......so unless you can force those, don't count on that. They kept us in the game during the first half with penalties, like chop blocks and blocking in the back. My initial take was that Coldspring played dirty, but soon changed my opinion. I don't think they had been challenged like that before and those penalties came out of sheer effort to make the plays AND playoff games tend to be called closer with more experienced officiating crews than regular season games. Here is something that might ranckle yall a little, my personal opinion is that teams that play on grass turf all year tend to make more mistakes and fumble more when they start playing on artificial turf until they get accustomed to it.

I don't have a dog in this fight. You may not like my opinions and the comparisons, but they are just that, my opinions. All you have to do is prove me wrong! I think it will be a great game and I may make the trek to Bastrop to watch it in person.

I lot of good insights. I will say, for the record, it is highly doubtful your young backs are faster than Dennis Smith. He is not just big, he is big and fast. However, he did not carry the ball that much through the season in part because he missed 6 games. Second. Jowan Davis did break a 46 yd TD run on Wimberley. He broke a tackle after a short gain and then showed great acceleration to find a crease and take it to the house. Otherwise, he was fairly well handled. Seals-Jones definitely created problems for us mostly in last qtr. Sealy held the Brahamas to 13 points where the Texans put up 28 points and just missed on a few occasions. I tend to agree that you likely ran the ball better than we will run the ball but I am not entirely sure. Smith, Kelley and Wilson are playing well. The O-line will have to have its best game. Or it is going to be a defensive battle. The match up of our offensive front against their defensive front is the most concerning. The defense should do a decent job but they definitely have some home run threats. The pressure from their DE's last year was huge in disrupting the Texans' offense. It was miserable and the Texans still came up with 14 points and should have had 21 points. Also, Gilbert broke 2 long TD runs last year and made an incredible catch on a long pass. However, the Texans did a good job on the CS running game in 2nd half other than 1 of those aforementioned long TD runs. Hopefully, the familiarity of facing them last year will be of some benefit to the Texans this time around. All that said...we absolutely know where you are coming from and your thoughts are pretty spot on IMO.

LionFan72
12-05-2011, 12:45 AM
Been waiting on this rematch since last year! I have not wittnessed either team team this year, but sure been following both as they were my Reg III and IV picks. Wish I could be in Bastrop, but nephew is participating in Argyle-Monahans game, so will be there, and it will be a good game also. Sorry Wimberly folks, have all the respect for your program, but I am a defensive type, and the Trojans will shut down Wimberly by 4 points. Although the ball could bounce in Texans favor as well. Two very well prepared teams, great coaches, great fans, and I pray for good weather and a disciplined hard nosed game. Good luck to the winner, safe travels, and see the winners at Cowboy Stadium!

Manso/V8
12-05-2011, 01:06 AM
Smith, Kelley and Wilson are playing well. The O-line will have to have its best game. Or it is going to be a defensive battle. The match up of our offensive front against their defensive front is the most concerning.

Smith seems like a strong and powerful back and should be able to grind out some yardage and break some tackles.....something we lacked. If Wilson can get the edge, he should be able to move the chains as well. I can see screens and quick slants working well. You are right about it being a defensive battle. I don't see this as a high scoring game for either team. Coldspring will likely miss an extra point attempt, so if yall keep it close, that could determine the game.

wimbo_pro
12-05-2011, 09:38 AM
Been waiting on this rematch since last year! I have not wittnessed either team team this year, but sure been following both as they were my Reg III and IV picks. Wish I could be in Bastrop, but nephew is participating in Argyle-Monahans game, so will be there, and it will be a good game also. Sorry Wimberly folks, have all the respect for your program, but I am a defensive type, and the Trojans will shut down Wimberly by 4 points. Although the ball could bounce in Texans favor as well. Two very well prepared teams, great coaches, great fans, and I pray for good weather and a disciplined hard nosed game. Good luck to the winner, safe travels, and see the winners at Cowboy Stadium!

No problem LionFan, you gotta call 'em as you see 'em. We are definitely the underdog in this one...not by much, but if you were a bookie, definitely go with Coldspring to win by 3-5 points. But as you know all too well, in HS football, and at this level...a few point advantage is not what it is in college and pro's. ANYTHING can happen with the intangibles, more so than in pro's and college.

Actually, I do not anticipate a 3-5 point game. I think it will be more, possibly 2 scores. More to come later in the week!!!

Los Owls
12-05-2011, 10:02 AM

Coldspring 35-Texans 17....Sorry Wimbo wAcKoS...:1popcorn:

wimbo_pro
12-05-2011, 10:19 AM

Excellent!!! Our lucky charm is back!! Ohhh...me stars and me moons!!!

Dub-C
12-05-2011, 10:24 AM

Dude, quit being a Hater!

Sportshack
12-05-2011, 10:25 AM

Not so wAcko as it turned out...we tried to explain to ya...but you were not buying our Chili!!!

Sportshack
12-05-2011, 10:29 AM
Excellent!!! Our lucky charm is back!! Ohhh...me stars and me moons!!!

You are soooooo right Wimbo!! Could be the Intangible factor we need to get over the top in this game!!!! Be very concerend Trojan fans when Lost Owls gets throws his support behind your team...just saying.

ogg
12-05-2011, 11:33 AM

8000 seating capacity, maybe I'll arrive early....if anything like the Devine game.

YTBulldogs
12-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Seen WT five times this year (twice via Hudl complete game video vs. Cuero and LaVernia) and 3 times live in playoffs. They are a very complete, well rounded club. They are a top notched running team and passing team. I don't see this team being shut down this year cause they can counter what a defense is trying to do to them. To me, I think the OL has gotten better deeper into these playoffs. They have multi skilled players that creates headaches for DC to try and stop. Stop one, they'll hit ya with 3 or four others without a drop off in productivity. They are blessed in this area.

The defense is solid too. Very quick, and their secondary is fast, and not with small guys. Those DB's are good sized for the most part. LB'ers move to the ball better than any team I seen this year. I have seen the ends controlled (hooked) at times, but---the LB'ers correct those mistakes via their speed. Swarm the ball carrier very well indeed. Safeties will bait the QB into thinking the receivers are open, then pick it. Very savvy secondary.

Return teams to me is the Texans strong point. You don't want to kick/punt it deep. Cardinal mistake to any team that does IMO. Punt it OOB, or dribble the KO is your best bet.

All this said, I have no real knowledge of CS other then they have beat some quality opponents to get here. But, they have not faced a overall balanced team like this Texan team all year. Often, you don't see elite teams improve weekly. This Texan team has made those improvements. Tip a hat to the coaches for making adjustments and getting these kids into position to be successful the following week. They game plan/HT adjust better then any team I have seen and will take advantage of the smallest detail a opponent gives them. If you have a weakness, Nelms and Company will find it. Unsung hero's to this years Texan team, the scout coaches that often go unrecognized. This Team is a perfect fit for a state title. They have it all. That said, teenagers can do, not do things that can throw a kink into the best game plan any Friday night, and spoil things.

Sportshack
12-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Seen WT five times this year (twice via Hudl complete game video vs. Cuero and LaVernia) and 3 times live in playoffs. They are a very complete, well rounded club. They are a top notched running team and passing team. I don't see this team being shut down this year cause they can counter what a defense is trying to do to them. To me, I think the OL has gotten better deeper into these playoffs. They have multi skilled players that creates headaches for DC to try and stop. Stop one, they'll hit ya with 3 or four others without a drop off in productivity. They are blessed in this area.

The defense is solid too. Very quick, and their secondary is fast, and not with small guys. Those DB's are good sized for the most part. LB'ers move to the ball better than any team I seen this year. I have seen the ends controlled (hooked) at times, but---the LB'ers correct those mistakes via their speed. Swarm the ball carrier very well indeed. Safeties will bait the QB into thinking the receivers are open, then pick it. Very savvy secondary.

Return teams to me is the Texans strong point. You don't want to kick/punt it deep. Cardinal mistake to any team that does IMO. Punt it OOB, or dribble the KO is your best bet.

All this said, I have no real knowledge of CS other then they have beat some quality opponents to get here. But, they have not faced a overall balanced team like this Texan team all year. Often, you don't see elite teams improve weekly. This Texan team has made those improvements. Tip a hat to the coaches for making adjustments and getting these kids into position to be successful the following week. They game plan/HT adjust better then any team I have seen and will take advantage of the smallest detail a opponent gives them. If you have a weakness, Nelms and Company will find it. Unsung hero's to this years Texan team, the scout coaches that often go unrecognized. This Team is a perfect fit for a state title. They have it all. That said, teenagers can do, not do things that can throw a kink into the best game plan any Friday night, and spoil things.

Of course...I hope you are spot on and you bring some great points to the discussion. I will say that the CS team we played last year is very, very fast on defense and special teams and with their RB on offense. Very fast. They close quickly on punt and K/O's. That said we did get a couple of good returns on them last year so your comments about WT special teams has some validity. They were incredibly difficult to run on last year...impossible really. Our line could be rounding into a similar potency as last year's o-line. I notice we were using a different center of much of the game last Saturday. King is more physical player albeit young. If he continues in that roll, it could add some punch to inside run game. a difference this year could be availability of Smith and Kelley as ball carriers this year. Kelley was available last year but has handled more ball carrying duties this year. Kid is a good lead blocker as well. Smith brings both speed and physicality to the equation, which could help. He only carried the ball twice in last year's game as 1st game back after 9 game layoff and he did not have any success whatsoever. We will need more production this year. Although our defense is really much better against the run this year.

I expect CS to attempt a pass to Gilbert in the early going. They have pulled big plays off unexpected passes to him on more than one occasion this year I believe. I really think that our defense will hold up. CS is supposed to be better on defense this year than last year. We will have to protect against the pass rush off the edge and then connect on passes. That is a big part of how Carthage beat them last year.

I have not heard a lot of comments about CS offense being better this year. I have heard several references to their defense being even better this year. Not sure what to make of that but it could bode well.

YTBulldogs
12-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I know one of you WT backers know these figures. What is the Texans season total in yardage in rushing? And in passing?

Manso/V8
12-05-2011, 02:03 PM
They have it all. That said, teenagers can do, not do things that can throw a kink into the best game plan any Friday night, and spoil things.

Great post, almost perfect.....I am undecided on who to pick in this one and you had me swaying to the Texans until the last line. Now I am back on the fence!

YTBulldogs
12-05-2011, 02:13 PM
Great post, almost perfect.....I am undecided on who to pick in this one and you had me swaying to the Texans until the last line. Now I am back on the fence!

Not trying to sway anyone V8. Just posting what I have seen from WT from early in the year vs Cuero and LV, to their last 3 playoff games, I have witnessed. Like most teams I'm sure, they have improved. Sure, they had a scare in round 1 vs Taylor, but--- like I said, that can make you more dangerous if you survive that scare. You see what you dern near blew. Most teams get those scares at some point in a season I think.

I'm just an outsider, with no dog in the fight. But, love to see a fellow R4 team @ Jerry's World.

ogg
12-05-2011, 03:22 PM
I know one of you WT backers know these figures. What is the Texans season total in yardage in rushing? And in passing?

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/scoreboard/?mkt=sanantonio&site=default&tpl=team&Sport=1&TeamID=5226&SchoolID=&Season=2011&DistrictID=&SearchDate=12%2F05%2F11&SearchDateEnd=12%2F05%2F11&SearchLastName=&SearchFirstName=&Market=All&SearchType=Teams

YTBulldogs
12-05-2011, 03:26 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/high_school/scoreboard/?mkt=sanantonio&site=default&tpl=team&Sport=1&TeamID=5226&SchoolID=&Season=2011&DistrictID=&SearchDate=12%2F05%2F11&SearchDateEnd=12%2F05%2F11&SearchLastName=&SearchFirstName=&Market=All&SearchType=Teams

Yeah, I knew of this site, but---not sure it's accurate. See one kid has 1 carry for -65 yards.

But, these stat's do show it's pretty even total yards wise, pass vs. rush. Like I thought. Shut one down, they can counter with another.

buff4ever
12-05-2011, 04:05 PM
I say coldspring in a lot closer game than last year.

rb585
12-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Yeah, I knew of this site, but---not sure it's accurate. See one kid has 1 carry for -65 yards.

Well, if a guy loses 65 yards on his first carry, you don't give him the ball again, you know.

YTBulldogs
12-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Well, if a guy loses 65 yards on his first carry, you don't give him the ball again, you know.

LOL. Maybe he got turned around?

Trojans98
12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
I think it will be a very close game. Our defense is much better than last year especially in the secondary. We have only averaged giving up 7.2 points a game including the playoffs. Our offense is about the same as last year. We struggled early in the playoffs with some injuries and illness. I'm super excited for the rematch. You have to beat the best to be the best.

wimbo_pro
12-05-2011, 05:09 PM

True..."Wrong Way Willy" never lived that down.

Tejastrue
12-05-2011, 06:04 PM

But, these stat's do show it's pretty even total yards wise, pass vs. rush. Like I thought. Shut one down, they can counter with another.

And a couple of games have no stats.

Tejastrue
12-05-2011, 06:06 PM

Did anyone actually witness that play. It is one I don't recall. lol....

the genious
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Red Zone is what costed y'all state last year... 4 turnover I believe in the red zone in the 1st half kinda set the tone for the rest of game

Gone Fishing
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM

Yeah, its off in some areas. The INTs were only the DW game many more during the year and the roster is funny too. Guys listed shorter/taller/lighter/heavier.
The sight I like to look at is thsca Pressbox Services

YTBulldogs
12-05-2011, 07:25 PM

I heard had Smith not run him down from behind and tackled "Wrong Way" at the 3, it would of been a safety. :p

T-rojan Fan
12-05-2011, 09:14 PM
New to this site - actually my first post.

Warning you up front I'm as objective as any Coldspring Alum out there. I am really looking forward to the rematch - just hope the Bastrop stadium can handle the load. For a small town Coldspring travels very well even 200 miles away - surprised that the game is in such a relatively small high school stadium. But the stadium looks beautiful and the field looks like it was built for speed. Looking forward to seeing some of them Trojans turn the corner Friday night. The Coldspring offensive attack will be simple - Sherman Gilbert up the middle and around the end. If you can contain him then your halfway there. There is fast and then there is "Sherman Gilbert" kind of fast. This is one of those times when I cannot help but sound like a HOMER ---- OMG is he fast (almost as fast as the Sophmore LB/RB Patrick Gidens). Did I say he was fast??

I did see some great clips of the WT QB ---- beautiful long ball thrower. If he has the time he could give the Coldspring Defense some grief.

I say Coldspring 20 - 14. :clap:

ogg
12-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I heard had Smith not run him down from behind and tackled "Wrong Way" at the 3, it would of been a safety. :p
LOL,My apologies, didn’t read through the entire site.

ogg
12-05-2011, 09:26 PM

Warning you up front I'm as objective as any Coldspring Alum out there. I am really looking forward to the rematch - just hope the Bastrop stadium can handle the load. For a small town Coldspring travels very well even 200 miles away - surprised that the game is in such a relatively small high school stadium. But the stadium looks beautiful and the field looks like it was built for speed. Looking forward to seeing some of them Trojans turn the corner Friday night. The Coldspring offensive attack will be simple - Sherman Gilbert up the middle and around the end. If you can contain him then your halfway there. There is fast and then there is "Sherman Gilbert" kind of fast. This is one of those times when I cannot help but sound like a HOMER ---- OMG is he fast (almost as fast as the Sophmore LB/RB Patrick Gidens). Did I say he was fast??

I did see some great clips of the WT QB ---- beautiful long ball thrower. If he has the time he could give the Coldspring Defense some grief.

Welcome to the website. I also think the stadium is too small for this game. Not a bad drive though.

wimbo_pro
12-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Glad to see you here, TrojanFan. Yeah, we know about your speed. We saw plenty of it last year, and it killed us. We know we have a huge challenge in front of us, so you wont get any "you guys have no idea" comments out of me. However, I think its reasonable to say that we have a plan to overcome your strengths. I COULD tell you here and now, but then I would have to kill you.

This game will be one of the biggest in our history...not the biggest...but certainly one of the biggest. If we want to move into that next level of Texas Tradition Football programs, we must beat you Friday. It's that simple. And trust me, we have earned the right to be here, earned the right to say that by winning this game, we will be seen as part of the list of elite programs of the last 10 years. So yes, I know you want to win too...just as much as we do I'm sure...but we see this as more than a semi-finals play off game like last year. We see it as part of our legacy. I won't brag and promise and over-indulge in homerism. I will just say this...its put up or shut up time for us. Nothing more, nothing less. I think we will put up, and we will come home with a win.

Manso/V8
12-05-2011, 10:05 PM
I think we will put up, and we will come home with a win.
It always helps to believe.

HSFB
12-05-2011, 10:19 PM
One of the big keys for Wimberley will be how we deal with the Coldspring DE's. A VERY LARGE part of their D strategy is turning those guys loose upfield to disrupt plays and amazingly enough many O's continue to run plays right in to the path of the upfield charging DE's. They appear to be a D that is better suited to defendng a spread attack as it gives those athletic DE's more room to make plays in. They are not big but are VERY athletic.

chs96
12-05-2011, 10:44 PM
Finally Im able to post!!!! :clap: I really don't know much about WT except for last yrs game and what I read on here. I kinda been following them on the threads week by week and decided to join. It seems like they are clicking in the playoffs. I do know about CS . IF YOU WERE IMPRESSED WITH OUR DEFENSE LAST YR THEN YOU WILL HAVE A TREAT COME FRIDAY!! I will say our defense is much much better than last yr. ( allowing 6.79 pts a game, 18 int and 32 sacks). They will play lights out until the last sec ticks off the clock. Our offense struggled with some key injures and some key players had the flu. Seems like we are back on the roll after last week game. Most teams key in on Gilbert ( 212 carrries 2361 yrds) but he isnt the team!! If you focus on him then Monroe ( 171 carries 1422 yrds) will run over you on the way to the endzone. We arn't a passing team ( avg 371 yrds rushing per game) but we can spread them out and pass if the need arises. Our special teams can hurt you just like the offense. This should be a great game and I can't wait until Friday !!

rb585
12-05-2011, 11:05 PM

Welcome! I agree with about all of this. I even said earlier that first team to 20 wins. The first to get to 20 will be the team that makes the fewest turnovers, and there's no way to predict who that will be.

One thing I do remember about last year's game is that Wimberley couldn't run at all and had way too many pass plays where all the routes were intermediate and deep. That didn't work.

I suspect we're going to have trouble running again Friday, so Lambert will be the key. He's going to have to play much better than he has the last two weeks (and he's capable of being great), and the game plan is also going to have to put him in a position to do that.

We need the Lambert we saw against Taylor and Gonzales to win.

Sportshack
12-05-2011, 11:08 PM
Finally Im able to post!!!! :clap: I really don't know much about WT except for last yrs game and what I read on here. I kinda been following them on the threads week by week and decided to join. It seems like they are clicking in the playoffs. I do know about CS . IF YOU WERE IMPRESSED WITH OUR DEFENSE LAST YR THEN YOU WILL HAVE A TREAT COME FRIDAY!! I will say our defense is much much better than last yr. ( allowing 6.79 pts a game, 18 int and 32 sacks). They will play lights out until the last sec ticks off the clock. Our offense struggled with some key injures and some key players had the flu. Seems like we are back on the roll after last week game. Most teams key in on Gilbert ( 212 carrries 2361 yrds) but he isnt the team!! If you focus on him then Monroe ( 171 carries 1422 yrds) will run over you on the way to the endzone. We arn't a passing team ( avg 371 yrds rushing per game) but we can spread them out and pass if the need arises. Our special teams can hurt you just like the offense. This should be a great game and I can't wait until Friday !!

The biggest difference between WHS last year and this year is defensive front 8. They are considerably better at playing the run at this time than against CS last year. They were missing three key players that will be available for this game. Hopefully, they can continue strong performance against run over last 3 weeks. The offense is similar but a bit more diverse in approach than last year. Will need to be in order to offset expected struggles in ground game. Hopefully, Smith's presence this year will add another element to that aspect of our attack. Texans have great respect for Coldspring's athletes. Hey, we saw it with our own eyes last year and apparently Coldspring fans think that their team is even better this year. The Wimberley team also plays very hard and that is to be expected from 2 undefeated teams in the 5th round of the playoffs.

ogg
12-05-2011, 11:10 PM

Welcome to the website, why has Coldspring's defense/stats improved this year?

the genious
12-05-2011, 11:21 PM
One of the big keys for Wimberley will be how we deal with the Coldspring DE's. A VERY LARGE part of their D strategy is turning those guys loose upfield to disrupt plays and amazingly enough many O's continue to run plays right in to the path of the upfield charging DE's. They appear to be a D that is better suited to defendng a spread attack as it gives those athletic DE's more room to make plays in. They are not big but are VERY athletic.

Agreed! Last year they were awesome athletes!
If you can slow down the DE's and MLB and force the other 8 to beat you you will have a fair chance against them! Not saying that the other 8 aren't great too but the DE's and MLB set the tone

Gone Fishing
12-05-2011, 11:38 PM

Finally Im able to post!!!! :clap: I really don't know much about WT except for last yrs game and what I read on here. I kinda been following them on the threads week by week and decided to join. It seems like they are clicking in the playoffs. I do know about CS . IF YOU WERE IMPRESSED WITH OUR DEFENSE LAST YR THEN YOU WILL HAVE A TREAT COME FRIDAY!!
I will say our defense is much much better than last yr. ( allowing 6.79 pts a game, 18 int and 32 sacks). They will play lights out until the last sec ticks off the clock. Our offense struggled with some key injures and some key players had the flu. Seems like we are back on the roll after last week game. Most teams key in on Gilbert ( 212 carrries 2361 yrds) but he isnt the team!! If you focus on him then Monroe ( 171 carries 1422 yrds) will run over you on the way to the endzone. We arn't a passing team ( avg 371 yrds rushing per game) but we can spread them out and pass if the need arises. Our special teams can hurt you just like the offense. This should be a great game and I can't wait until Friday !!

Did ya'll not put reserves in? Yall beat everyone in your weak district and some non-district games by a million. WT allows like 12 point something but gave up a late score in many of our games with backups playing, so we could have about 6.79 allowed too. Just saying.

chs96
12-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Welcome to the website, why has Coldspring's defense/stats improved this year?

I think alot of it has to be putting key players in certain positions. Last yr our weakness was our corners and secondary. Carthage comes to mind. This yr we have Gilbert and Skyes at corners. They are like ball hawks. Both have plenty of speed and just waits until the QB to throw up the ball and BAM!! out of no where they come fling in for the int or disrupt the recievers. Our DE and MLB are die hard. The whole D has tremendous speed and very capable of the open field tackles alone. Plus on many occasions they just flat out run down the running backs. We are a little bigger (size wise) but all play with heart and PRIDE. They penetrate the Offensive line and disrupts the QB. Very capable of make turnovers and come up with the BIG plays when they are needed.

How about WT offense? I can remember sitting in Waco with my heart in my belly thinking I hope we can stop the passing atack LOL especially after that dropped pass I could finally BREATHE

chs96
12-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Did ya'll not put reserves in? Yall beat everyone in your weak district and some non-district games by a million. WT allows like 12 point something but gave up a late score in many of our games with backups playing, so we could have about 6.79 allowed too. Just saying.

Actually most our starters didnt play the 2nd half of most games. Most teams were less than 100 yrd total offense at half time. MOST SCORES THAT WERE SCORED WAS ON OUR 2ND AND 3RD STRINGS. I can remember most games Gilbert only played defense 2nd half. If we played him all game on offense he would probably have 4000 yrds rushings.. The first game that our Offense stayed the entire game was Huffman. I can remember Barbay taking the 2nd and 3 rd string running backs out and letting the MLBs and DE play running back LOL I can remember MLB Harrison getting like 5-6 sacks one game and a rushing TD. By no means did we run up the score on any team. But we have RB's for days and they all have speed all the way down to freshmen team.

Gone Fishing
12-06-2011, 12:04 AM

Actually most our starters didnt play the 2nd half of most games. Most teams were less than 100 yrd total offense at half time. MOST SCORES THAT WERE SCORED WAS ON OUR 2ND AND 3RD STRINGS. I can remember most games Gilbert only played defense 2nd half. If we played him all game on offense he would probably have 4000 yrds rushings.. The first game that our Offense stayed the entire game was Huffman. I can remember Barbay taking the 2nd and 3 rd string running backs out and letting the MLBs and DE play running back LOL I can remember MLB Harrison getting like 5-6 sacks one game and a rushing TD. By no means did we run up the score on any team. But we have RB's for days and they all have speed all the way down to freshmen team.

Well heck, we're toast!

T-rojan Fan
12-06-2011, 12:07 AM
Since I've already told you how to shut down Coldspring's offense (limit Sherman Gilbert) (did I mention he was fast?) I will tell you how to beat our defense. Keep your quarterback clean. The Trojan pass defense really looks lost at times - receivers running free and those inevitable long completions where all the DBs have that "I thought you had him" look. Rarely do you see anyone score on a long completion because the defenders recover and break up the pass or run down the receiver immediately. Coldspring does give up a big play now and then but most of the time the QB is not able to plant and throw because of the relentless pressure. There have only been three teams that have been able to string together more than a drive or two in the past two years (Kirbyville, Wimberly and Carthage). Carthage killed us with their passing game last year in the finals. Their OL was superb and their QB and WRs made excellent reads and executed time after time. I think the only time the QB was on the ground was on a late hit after a long TD throw. He was extremely accurate (something like 25 or 29) and he had one receiver that had that OMG speed and caught everything thrown his way. I hope he didn't transfer to Wimberly - teaming him up with ya'lls quarterback would be bad news for us!

:2thumbsup

chs96
12-06-2011, 12:08 AM
Well heck, we're toast!

I don't think so. Wimberley is a good football team this will be a GREAT game. I think both teams match up well with one another. It should be pick up where it left off last yr. Round 2 will be this Friday !!

regaleagle
12-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Sounds like to me you have two really good playoff teams from last year that have both improved this year, and for the most part have their skilled players still in place, only a year more experienced and matured. I'm sittin' here on the sidelines soaking up as much as I can about both teams. This will be a rockem sockem affair, no doubt. This is a game worth its salt to see, for sure. Lots of intrigue not only for what has happened this year, but also what transpired in last year's game, minus some Wimberley players. Almost like watching a sports movie.

HSFB
12-06-2011, 01:06 AM

wow...what an all world team. So how in the heck did Coldspring only beat a 8 & 2 Bridge City team 7 to 0 in the first round of the playoffs with your only score coming on a 72 yard TD run by Gilbert?......and this is with the Cards stud QB getting injured early in the 2nd quarter that serverley limited him for the rest of the game and eventually did not let him finish the game. How did Bridge City hang in there with y'all?

HSFB
12-06-2011, 01:16 AM
Agreed! Last year they were awesome athletes!
If you can slow down the DE's and MLB and force the other 8 to beat you you will have a fair chance against them! Not saying that the other 8 aren't great too but the DE's and MLB set the tone

Yep, Coldspring D skill set and attacking style is built to shut down the spread. Those DE's get upfield so quickly and disrupt so much. Our OT's will have to have the game of their lives. You find a way to slow those guys down or scheme against then you may be able to have some success. The DE's usually get or force one big negative yardage play against the O per series that just kills drives.

HSFB
12-06-2011, 01:21 AM

Well heck, we're toast!

yep, no way our slow unathletic plodding hill country boys compete with this. Someone queue Dandy Don.

Trojans98
12-06-2011, 05:38 AM

You are absolutely right. Without the turnovers in the redzone it may have been a different game last year.

chs96
12-06-2011, 06:18 AM
wow...what an all world team. So how in the heck did Coldspring only beat a 8 & 2 Bridge City team 7 to 0 in the first round of the playoffs with your only score coming on a 72 yard TD run by Gilbert?......and this is with the Cards stud QB getting injured early in the 2nd quarter that serverley limited him for the rest of the game and eventually did not let him finish the game. How did Bridge City hang in there with y'all?

Several things happened. The game before BC we had a key defensive player get hurt with an neck injury. Gilbert was fighting the flu Monroe out 2 nd half with concusion put all this together you have a very tough game. Plus BC was a pretty good 8-2 team. Gilbert would run a play and come out with what seemed to be cramps and then go back next play. Plus I think the defense was trying to adjust with Trapp being out. So alot of guys were shuffled around playing new positions

T-rojan Fan
12-06-2011, 06:26 AM

I hear you. I can assure you that the Trojan faithful were asking the same questions you are thru the first three weeks of the playoffs. Fortunately they were doing enough to win and last week they put it back together. I have faith that the team that played last week will show up because the one that showed against Bridge City will likely get blown out. Gonna be a good one! :thumbsup:

YTBulldogs
12-06-2011, 07:16 AM
Well heck, we're toast!

I know you don't believe that GF. And, why ya say it either? Sure your just kidding. :p Hell, WT is just as talented IMO. Sure it will not most likely be a cake walk like your use to, but--- at this junction in playoffs, it shouldn't be. Best of the best remain in the state.

CS sounds awesome and some nice running stats coupled with a dominating defense. WT has just as much of impressive materials to work with. And, I'll take my R4 representative and expect a Texan 28-21 win.

Sportshack
12-06-2011, 08:45 AM
I think the Texans' passing schemes will need to be creative. Not so much on just go long and heave it. The CS secondary sounds improved and to be fair certainly played well against us last year. I am thinking crossing routes, etc. I doubt that CS saw much effective passing during the year. However, real speed in the secondary is huge in high school especially when mixed with pressure on QB. The Texans will also have to come up with scheme to deal with DE's. Of course, so will CS. The Texans' DE's are athletic as well. Of course, CS likes to pound the ball so that will be a part of their scheme.

Texans will need to avoid the negative plays. The defense has been performing well and I do think that this will be a defensive struggle with some big plays mixed in. The good news for the Texans is that they are very capable of stinging a team even when struggling to move the ball because they do not just rely primarily on one element of an offensive attack like most the teams CS has played.That said, I also realize how demoralizing it can be to play such an athletic, fast defense.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 08:49 AM

Welcome to the board!!! Yes, we have heard your defense is even better. We are not happy to hear this, after last year. I ask that you dont mention it again. Thank you.

Gone Fishing
12-06-2011, 08:59 AM
I don't think so. Wimberley is a good football team this will be a GREAT game. I think both teams match up well with one another. It should be pick up where it left off last yr. Round 2 will be this Friday !!

yep, no way our slow unathletic plodding hill country boys compete with this. Someone queue Dandy Don.

I know you don't believe that GF. And, why ya say it either? Sure your just kidding. :p Hell, WT is just as talented IMO. Sure it will not most likely be a cake walk like your use to, but--- at this junction in playoffs, it shouldn't be. Best of the best remain in the state.

CS sounds awesome and some nice running stats coupled with a dominating defense. WT has just as much of impressive materials to work with. And, I'll take my R4 representative and expect a Texan 28-21 win.

Yes, YT a little hill country sarcasm, Thought 96 might get that, but don't think he can see past the blinders he has on.
HSFB, We know all about our slow unathletic plodding Hill Country boys don't we. LOLOLOL
OH, by the way 96, Wimberley is not just a "good" football team. You can evaluate that statement Friday night. I think you got your great and your good mixed up.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 09:33 AM
The stats are extremely close in most categories. The few where they are not are:

In the regular season,
CS scored more points (56.2 per game versus 41.3 for WT)
CS allowed HALF the points (6.0 versus 12.9 for WT)
CS defense stat is slightly higher (21.31 vs 20.12 for WT)
CS offense is slightly higher too (48.03 vs 45.54 for WT)

BUT......

CS has done this with a weaker schedule (31.26 vs 39.27 for WT)

SO...LOOKING AT THE PLAY OFFS ONLY

Since the play offs began:
CS has scored only 18.75 points per game (down 37.45 from the regular season)
CS has allowed 8.5 points per game (up 2.5 from the regular season)
WT has scored 36.0 points per game (down 5.3 from the regular season)
WT has allowed 14.25 points per game (up 1.35 from the regular season)

Where am I going with thes stats? I am looking for a statistical reason why we will win this game, in a sea of stats that do not favor us!! LOL So, here is my HOMER conclusion:

In the regular season, CS and WT were somewhat equal in offensive and defensive performance (with CS winning this in all categories), however, CS played a weaker schedule and smashed their opponents without mercy, the average margin of victory was 50 points!!! But...when the going got tougher in the play offs, CS's offensive output DROPPED by more than FIVE TD's per game, on average. Their average margin of victory dropped to just a bit over 10 points per game in the play offs.

On the other hand, Wimberley in the play offs (where the competition got tougher as well) has scored only 5 points less per game than the regular season, and allowed about a point and a half more scoring by the opponent. I conclude that CS is vunerable to better teams, and their performance is greatly curtailed if there is a solid defense against them, and a stronger offense that keeps them off the field offensively. We have such a team.

So, CS is beatable. They have dropped off in production BIGTIME on offense, but still have that tough defense. We will exploit this "hole" in their armor and win this game!!!

**by the way, if CS wins it all, their defensive "points allowed" will put them in elite company of champions. They are at 6.7 for the 14 games played. WT's '05 team was right at 10 point per game allowed.**

SouthTexas Lobo
12-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Wimbo_pro I agree with comments, I think WT has a great shot this year at beating CS. Had the opportunity to watch the Devine WT game, and was very impressed with size and speed of Texans. I was somewhat dissapointed with Texans not staying with their running game throughout first half. I felt like the could have wore down Devine. That being said I think if Texans dont establish running game with CS, could be long night trying to pass.. Might have just been an off night on passing game or might have had something to do with Devine. Good luck to both teams, and hoping everyone comes out of this healthy.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 10:18 AM
Wimbo_pro I agree with comments, I think WT has a great shot this year at beating CS. Had the opportunity to watch the Devine WT game, and was very impressed with size and speed of Texans. I was somewhat dissapointed with Texans not staying with their running game throughout first half. I felt like the could have wore down Devine. That being said I think if Texans dont establish running game with CS, could be long night trying to pass.. Might have just been an off night on passing game or might have had something to do with Devine. Good luck to both teams, and hoping everyone comes out of this healthy.

Hey STLobo..welcome to the board!!! Yes, we were off passing that night, I think it had more to do with our QB being off that night than it did with Devine's D, but they did play a much better D than expected. As you have seen on this thread many times, we MUST be clicking on offense to beat CS. There is no doubt about that. I believe we will be clicking like no other time this year....we are due.

Purple Rain
12-06-2011, 01:12 PM
...I'm just an outsider, with no dog in the fight. But, love to see a fellow R4 team @ Jerry's World.

Same goes for me. Centex HS football is once again well represented by a quality football program.

YTBulldogs
12-06-2011, 01:35 PM
I see Harris has Wimberley favored by 4.

And of course, Massey has CS winning by 1. Massey has been amazingly accurate this playoff season, hitting around a 90% clip I believe. Down right incredible really. :clap:

That tells me, this will be one hell of a game. Go Texans!!!!!!!!

Manso/V8
12-06-2011, 02:02 PM
wimbo_pro, you had previously posted some rankings on defense, offense, strength of schedule, etc for various opponents. What is the source of those rankings?

YTBulldogs
12-06-2011, 02:05 PM
wimbo_pro, what is the source of the stats you are quoting?

I think he said he uses Massey.

chs96
12-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Yes, YT a little hill country sarcasm, Thought 96 might get that, but don't think he can see past the blinders he has on.
HSFB, We know all about our slow unathletic plodding Hill Country boys don't we. LOLOLOL
OH, by the way 96, Wimberley is not just a "good" football team. You can evaluate that statement Friday night. I think you got your great and your good mixed up.

WT is a great team. Trust me I know!! I'm just a stats guy and like to compare stats. But this deep in the playoffs stats means nothing. It's heart and determination at this point. I think it will be a hard fought battle and the W can go anyway. I hope it goes our way but if not it will go to a very deserving team. Both teams have a big obstacle to cross come Friday .... Each Other. With that said. I pray for a injury free game and may it all be left on the field.
I'm not a Homer that will say my team is the greatest because in the end it's 22 highschool kids on the field at one time.

lbjacj
12-06-2011, 03:26 PM
WT is a great team. Trust me I know!! I'm just a stats guy and like to compare stats. But this deep in the playoffs stats means nothing. It's heart and determination at this point. I think it will be a hard fought battle and the W can go anyway. I hope it goes our way but if not it will go to a very deserving team. Both teams have a big obstacle to cross come Friday .... Each Other. With that said. I pray for a injury free game and may it all be left on the field.
I'm not a Homer that will say my team is the greatest because in the end it's 22 highschool kids on the field at one time.

I think whoever wins Friday will be your state champs!

rb585
12-06-2011, 04:54 PM
I think whoever wins Friday will be your state champs!

Eh, I think Argyle wins it all.

Gone Fishing
12-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Better put 96, LOL Two great teams going at it for sure.

Tejastrue
12-06-2011, 05:19 PM

Gotta go with the dark-horse Monahans.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Over all, I agree with you CHS96. This deep in the play offs, with two teams so similar in performance (but with different attack plans), the stats I refer to really are meaningless. We are both the best teams of our respective Regions, and that means we are both good. Sure, one or two stats might be telling when the game is played, but to try and hang a hat on anyone of them in THIS game is probably folly. But hell, what else do we armchair QB's have to do but to juggle stats so they look like they are in our favor?

Remember....

Never trust a statistic you didn't personally manipulate.

Sportshack
12-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Over all, I agree with you CHS96. This deep in the play offs, with two teams so similar in performance (but with different attack plans), the stats I refer to really are meaningless. We are both the best teams of our respective Regions, and that means we are both good. Sure, one or two stats might be telling when the game is played, but to try and hang a hat on anyone of them in THIS game is probably folly. But hell, what else do we armchair QB's have to do but to juggle stats so they look like they are in our favor?

Remember....

There is an old saying... "Figures lie and liars figure!!" Dadada...da...GO TEXANS!

Gone Fishing
12-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Gotta go with the dark-horse Monahans.

I'm going with what Dave Campbell says.

T-rojan Fan
12-06-2011, 07:06 PM
:catredx: 73 Hours 'til Kickoff :catredx:

Gonnna be a good one ---- hope its just cold ----- not wet and cold!

lbjacj
12-06-2011, 07:18 PM

OK.

http://www.texasfootball.com/check-out-the-week-11-3a-top-25-rankings/

Tejastrue
12-06-2011, 07:19 PM

Do people listen? :)

Hey, just kidding about going with any other team but the Texans. Got a good feeling about the game.

Sportshack
12-06-2011, 07:20 PM
:catredx: 73 Hours 'til Kickoff :catredx:

Gonnna be a good one ---- hope its just cold ----- not wet and cold!

So far...forecast is just for cold...maybe 36 or so by end of game. Not so bad at first. Of course that can change quick.

lbjacj
12-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Do people listen? :)

Hey, just kidding about going with any other team but the Texans. Got a good feeling about the game.

Just some of your madness coming out:wave:

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 07:47 PM

ummmm.....

regaleagle
12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
I think Wimberley is peaking right now and will put their season on the line with a tremendous effort Friday nite. I look for an exciting mid-scoring game in the high 20's to the low 30's. Not a weather forecast here, folks. Both teams' offenses will find ways to beat the opposing D, but in the end a defensive play wins the game. I'm gonna go with Wimberley to pull this game out at the end with a defensive stop. Good luck to both teams. It should be one of the games of the year.

regaleagle
12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
One of the BEST games of the year, that is.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 08:36 PM
Wimberley 27
Coldspring 17

regaleagle
12-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Wimberley 31 Coldspring 27

chs96
12-06-2011, 09:09 PM

Remember....

+1 I agree

Trojanswin
12-06-2011, 09:20 PM
UGGHHHHH! Is it Friday yet??
Should be a good game.
Go Trojans

Tejastrue
12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Just some of your madness coming out:wave:

Hey now...:crazy1:

Manso/V8
12-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Wimberley 27
Coldspring 17

Wimberley hangs 38 on Taylor, 40 on Gonzales, 28 on Sweeny, and 38 on Devine.....and you expect to put up 27 against Coldspring......possibly the best defense in 3A?

Not saying it isn't possible, but just don't see the logic.
How did you come up with that number?

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 09:51 PM
Wimberley hangs 38 on Taylor, 40 on Gonzales, 28 on Sweeny, and 38 on Devine.....and you expect to put up 27 against Coldspring......possibly the best defense in 3A?

I am expecting our offense to be on their game unlike any other recent game, similar to the Gonzales game. I am expecting our defense to slow down CS's offense just like Lorena, Bellville and Bridge City did. I am expecting the Texans to dominate the game with possession time/ball control. I am expecting we will win the turnover game as well.

But I could be completely wrong...

rb585
12-06-2011, 09:58 PM
Over all, I agree with you CHS96. This deep in the play offs, with two teams so similar in performance (but with different attack plans), the stats I refer to really are meaningless.

Oh come on, Luddites, stats aren't meaningless. The stats tell us that this is not going to be a shootout, because both teams have excellent defenses. The stats tell us that if Wimberley somehow shuts down the Coldspring run game, Coldspring is in trouble.

The stats basically tell us that both of these teams are damn good, and that we might have an epic game because of how evenly matched they are.

Stats are not meaningless.

Tejastrue
12-06-2011, 09:59 PM

Maybe he feels that we are at least a TD/xtra pt and a couple field goals better than you guys. Don't know....:wave:

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Oh come on, Luddites, stats aren't meaningless. The stats tell us that this is not going to be a shootout, because both teams have excellent defenses. The stats tell us that if Wimberley somehow shuts down the Coldspring run game, Coldspring is in trouble.

The stats basically tell us that both of these teams are damn good, and that we might have an epic game because of how evenly matched they are.

Stats are not meaningless.

Luddites?

ogg
12-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Don’t know about Coldspring other than stats and post on this forum. However, I do know about Wimberley and IMO they are a 50% better team now than this time last year. Their play in the post season is more dominate, play with more control,and Healthier. Yes, there was the underrated Ducks that played like a December playoff team, but Wimberley had some key players out or freshly coming back from injury. Can’t help to think of that Borne game last year where in the 1st half the Texans were down 21-0,,,that just wouldn’t happen this year.

I try not to predict winners and loser for Wimberley games (that’s just my thing). I will say this, IMO the score will be close and in the 30s, won in the 4th quarter and the winner will also be the winner at Jerryworld.

rb585
12-06-2011, 10:11 PM

Wimberley scores 27 if they get up 20-10 in the 4th quarter and forces Coldspring to pass and gets an Int TD.

Wimberley came out awful last year and couldn't get back. Part of that was because CS was so good defensively, but part of that was because Alana wasn't playing ILB because of injury, and Gilbert got loose for two long TDs.

Wimberley's D will do a better job against Gilbert. Their O will have trouble, but if Lambert is patient and plays well, they can get a lead, which will make it tough for Coldspring.

Tejastrue
12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Luddites?

Ludd·ite noun \ˈlə-ˌdīt\

Definition of LUDDITE

: one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly: one who is opposed to especially technological

I had to look it up...:wave:

chs96
12-06-2011, 10:18 PM
Since everyone seems healthy and the offense seems to be back. I know I'm going to catch it for this but. I'm saying .............CS by 2 TDS.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Ludd·ite noun \ˈlə-ˌdīt\

Definition of LUDDITE

: one of a group of early 19th century English workmen destroying laborsaving machinery as a protest; broadly: one who is opposed to especially technological

I had to look it up...:wave:

I knew that much...didnt see the connection to the topic.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Since everyone seems healthy and the offense seems to be back. I know I'm going to catch it for this but. I'm saying .............CS by 2 TDS.

Seeing that is only your 8th post...we will let you live.

Trojans98
12-06-2011, 10:51 PM
Y'all have to score more than 14 on us to beat us and ain't nobody in these playoffs done that yet. In fact to win the game you have to score more points than us and that has not happened yet either. So I suspect we will have to just wait till Friday to find out. Seems to me last year the Wimberley folks were saying the same things. Just to reiterate our defense is better than last year!

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Y'all have to score more than 14 on us to beat us and ain't nobody in these playoffs done that yet. In fact to win the game you have to score more points than us and that has not happened yet either. So I suspect we will have to just wait till Friday to find out. Seems to me last year the Wimberley folks were saying the same things. Just to reiterate our defense is better than last year!

So is ours, Trojans98. And so is our offense. Of course we said those things last year, similar to the things you might of said about the Championship game that didnt work out for you. And its really not a newsflash that we have to wait till Friday to "find out". Thats kind of the way these things work...we discuss, then the game actually takes place. Its kinda how it goes.

By the way, can you give us a quick rundown on the reasons CS is scoring an average of 5 TD's per game less in the play offs than they did in the regular season?

Manso/V8
12-06-2011, 11:09 PM
Maybe he feels that we are at least a TD/xtra pt and a couple field goals better than you guys. Don't know....:wave:

Yeah, I could see that, yall did put up more than us against Sealy, and we put up 29 against Sweeny compared to Wimberley's 28......but I didn't think you wanted to use Bellville as a reference point.....but if it makes you fell better, go ahead!

Trojanswin
12-06-2011, 11:13 PM
So is ours, Trojans98. And so is our offense. Of course we said those things last year, similar to the things you might of said about the Championship game that didnt work out for you. And its really not a newsflash that we have to wait till Friday to "find out". Thats kind of the way these things work...we discuss, then the game actually takes place. Its kinda how it goes.

By the way, can you give us a quick rundown on the reasons CS is scoring an average of 5 TD's per game less in the play offs than they did in the regular season?
Several reasons:
1) Much better competition. Many of the teams that we played in Preseason or District games were not that good. Most of those points were scored in the first half. The Huffman-Hargrave game was a more realistic showing of our team's abilities.
2) We shot ourselves in the foot a lot against Bridge City and Bellville. Way too many stupid penalties. Against Bellville, almost every big gain was negated by a penalty. We had something like 115 yards in penalties (not including the yards lost on the play).
3) One of the most common excuses on a forum: All of our players were hurt or sick. A lot of truth to it, but it does not make the excuse smell any better. Monroe got hurt, Gilbert had the flu, Trapp out with broke neck, Linemen battered and bruised, etc....
4) Have I mentioned some of the teams we had played early on were just bad.
5) The teams that we played have some of the best ranked defenses in the state. Bridge City and Bellville had great defensive stats for the year. They played very tough, almost like they didn't want to lose. Not sure why?
6) I don't know, just kinda worked out that way.

Manso/V8
12-06-2011, 11:17 PM

Puttng up 35 points against WOS might make yall feel good, but it is not solid evidence that your offense is back.
I had the sense that WOS was well over-rated this year and they had a relatively easy path to their game against Coldspring.

wimbo_pro
12-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Several reasons:
1) Much better competition. Many of the teams that we played in Preseason or District games were not that good. Most of those points were scored in the first half. The Huffman-Hargrave game was a more realistic showing of our team's abilities.
2) We shot ourselves in the foot a lot against Bridge City and Bellville. Way too many stupid penalties. Against Bellville, almost every big gain was negated by a penalty. We had something like 115 yards in penalties (not including the yards lost on the play).
3) One of the most common excuses on a forum: All of our players were hurt or sick. A lot of truth to it, but it does not make the excuse smell any better. Monroe got hurt, Gilbert had the flu, Trapp out with broke neck, Linemen battered and bruised, etc....
4) Have I mentioned some of the teams we had played early on were just bad.
5) The teams that we played have some of the best ranked defenses in the state. Bridge City and Bellville had great defensive stats for the year. They played very tough, almost like they didn't want to lose. Not sure why?
6) I don't know, just kinda worked out that way.

Thanks for the input, Trojanswin. Our defense is statistically better than all of those save one, and even more importantly, our defense has REALLY hit their stride lately. I think you will be impressed.

Trojanswin
12-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Puttng up 35 points against WOS might make yall feel good, but it is not solid evidence that your offense is "back".
IMO it's not the 35 points that we scored on WOS that is the evidence, it was the actual play of the offense and the way that they cleaned up their play. They cut out the stupid mistakes that had been killing them. They looked like they were ready to play anybody.

Tejastrue
12-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Yeah, I could see that, yall did put up more than us against Sealy, and we put up 29 against Sweeny compared to Wimberley's 28......but I didn't think you wanted to use Bellville as a reference point.....but if it makes you feel better, go ahead!

Just guessing about what he might be thinking. It's all I have to go by, right?. Seems to work for you.

chs96
12-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Puttng up 35 points against WOS might make yall feel good, but it is not solid evidence that your offense is back.
I had the sense that WOS was well over-rated this year and they had a relatively easy path to their game against Coldspring.

Beating WOS doesnt mean anything as far as I'm concerned. I knew we would beat them. But what makes me say our offense is back is
that there were few stupid penalties that normally would cost us big time yards. Our offense seemed to be blocking better and we were
able to get yardage and points. It doesn't matter if it's 1 pt or 50 PTs
a W is a W. Gilbert and Monroe
had a good game. Plus the defense came through like always. It will
come down to the team with the fewest mistakes and turnovers.

Perfect ex: in our win over Lorena Gilbert had over 300 yards rushing but we had numerous penalties and about 5-6 turnovers. And that's why the margin of victory was so small. Now do you understand ?.

T-rojan Fan
12-07-2011, 07:43 AM
:redxpoke: With just a couple of days left to wait I feel good about the Coldspring Defense. I am confident that they will hold up their end of the bargain. I am not concerned about the kicking game....if it comes down to that we are done since we have none. I think the key is the Wimberly Defense. They have demonstrated an ability to shut down some pretty good running attacks - they contained Devine's Joseph Sadler pretty effectively last week when you know he had to be extremely motivated at the team level (to move on in the playoffs) and personally (chasing a couple of all-time records). Coldspring rarely passes the ball - in the third round game (Lorena) we had 8 attempts - 4 were intercepted and 3 were incomplete. So if Wimberly can force Coldspring into passing it could be disastrous. That said over the past two seasons I haven't seen Coldspring's running game really contained except during the second half of last years Championship game against Carthage. Even in the close playoff games we moved the ball up and down the field - just could not close out drives with scores. Of course I am hoping and expecting our O-Line to open up some holes and allow that Trojan running game to get in high gear.

60 hours 50 minutes and counting down.

LionFan72
12-07-2011, 08:25 AM
Guys and gals, this should be the game of year! Someone really needs to get this one on HD and market it on DVDs, this is gonna be the barnburner, slobberknocking, sock stinking, knock down drag em out game everyone expects. I can easily see this one going 2-3 overtimes! I really do not see an advantage other than the Coldspring defense, it will be determined by the team with the highest score! Some prediction, huh?

I just wish I could be there! May the weather be great, and the football better! Good luck to both teams and fans in their travels. May the game be played on the field with dignity, pride, sportsmanship, and enthusiasm! Just remember, one team wins the scoreboard, but both teams have won your hearts!

wimbo_pro
12-07-2011, 08:48 AM
Guys and gals, this should be the game of year! Someone really needs to get this one on HD and market it on DVDs, this is gonna be the barnburner, slobberknocking, sock stinking, knock down drag em out game everyone expects. I can easily see this one going 2-3 overtimes! I really do not see an advantage other than the Coldspring defense, it will be determined by the team with the highest score! Some prediction, huh?

I just wish I could be there! May the weather be great, and the football better! Good luck to both teams and fans in their travels. May the game be played on the field with dignity, pride, sportsmanship, and enthusiasm! Just remember, one team wins the scoreboard, but both teams have won your hearts!

Thanks LionsFan. It really should be a great game. But...to be honest....I am hoping for a lopsided 42-0 Wimberley victory.

Hey...a guy can dream, can't he???

LionFan72
12-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Thanks LionsFan. It really should be a great game. But...to be honest....I am hoping for a lopsided 42-0 Wimberley victory.

Hey...a guy can dream, can't he???

Please send the mushrooms and other paraphenalia to Wimberley PD, you can harm yourself and I hate to see a waste of a good football fan! Dream on thru the life of 16-18 year olds kids, it is all good! Just really hate to see one side disappointed with all this talent on the field at one time!

1st and goal
12-07-2011, 11:26 AM
Mistakes will decide this game. The team with the fewest will win. It will be a low scoring affair, especially if the Refs call it the way they should.

Probably be a fair amount of Giddings folk there. I am planning on coming but might be late getting there.

Trojans98
12-07-2011, 12:28 PM
They should have put this big time game in a big time venue. I can really think of just one venue that would have been best. Kyle Field would have been the best place to play not Bastrop. I know Wimberley won the toss and this is close for them, but Kyle Field would have been much more logical place to play this huge game. Good luck to both teams. I have to work, but will be listening to 92.3 The Eagle out of Livingston, Tx to the guys calling the action. Hopefully we get the win and another trip to Dallas to finish some unfinished business. Go Trojans!

lbjacj
12-07-2011, 02:02 PM
MaxPreps is picking the Texans to win 28-22!!!!!

Tejastrue
12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
http://www.statesman.com/sports/highschool/high-school-football-playoffs-game-of-the-week-2014675.html

catfish
12-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I think the game will come down to CS d-line against W o-line,the trenches always tell the story.

hookandladder
12-07-2011, 05:01 PM
I am going with CS in this game, CS by 2 td's.

Tejastrue
12-07-2011, 05:45 PM
I am going with CS in this game, CS by 2 td's.

Even though we're not your normal Region 4 team? :wave:

lbjacj
12-07-2011, 06:58 PM
Nice Video of Nelms,Smith and Blake more talking about MBK!

http://www.kvue.com/video?id=135113163&sec=551322

And MaxPreps playoff prdictions!

http://www.maxpreps.com/news/Sb2fSCAxEeG-rAAmVebEWg/texas-football-playoffs-score-projections--dec-9-10-.htm

wimbo_pro
12-07-2011, 08:10 PM
We're gonna win this game!!!!

rb585
12-07-2011, 08:21 PM
They should have put this big time game in a big time venue. I can really think of just one venue that would have been best. Kyle Field would have been the best place to play not Bastrop. I know Wimberley won the toss and this is close for them, but Kyle Field would have been much more logical place to play this huge game.

I'm sure we would have been willing to play at Bobcat Stadium. :)

HSFB
12-07-2011, 08:32 PM

....yes, we are.

Manso/V8
12-07-2011, 08:38 PM

I hear harp music again.

wimbo_pro
12-07-2011, 09:01 PM
I hear harp music again.

Same music you heard before the Devine game?

Tejastrue
12-07-2011, 09:51 PM
lbjacj;1648318]Nice Video of Nelms,Smith and Blake more talking about MBK!

Give me some more cobbler...:clap:

Tejastrue
12-07-2011, 10:03 PM
Okay Manso...who you got for this one?

Sportshack
12-07-2011, 10:48 PM
lbjacj;1648318]Nice Video of Nelms,Smith and Blake more talking about MBK!

Give me some more cobbler...:clap:

Actually, that is Dennis Smith, Brady Lambert and Coach Weldon Nelms on the clip. No Blakemore.

Tejastrue
12-07-2011, 11:00 PM
Actually, that is Dennis Smith, Brady Lambert and Coach Weldon Nelms on the clip. No Blakemore.

Uh, okay...I know who the guys are in the video. lbjacj posted the info/video.

Sportshack
12-07-2011, 11:25 PM
I have been studying Coldspring's playoff run last year. wow...they donkey stomped 3 out of 4 teams on their way to semi-final game. Kirbyville was their lone contest and they pulled off a close win against a previously unbeaten team. They had actually lost to that team to open their season last year. This year has a different feel to it in that they have only comfortably handled their business one time in the last 4 games. I know there has been some discussion on the board about some of their issues with poor execution, illness and injuries and how glad fans were to see the clean playing, healthy Coldspring re-emerge. And clearly, their defense has held up their end of bargain in the playoffs. Reportedly, they are even better than last year. Still there seems to be a little different feel to this year's version of the Trojans. Hopefully, the Texans will play their best game of the season. They will need to do so. Protect the ball and play some fast defense and maybe, just maybe things will work out. Tall order to be sure.

Sportshack
12-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Uh, okay...I know who the guys are in the video. lbjacj posted the info/video.

yeah...sorry...realized that was not your post afterward. Just for edification of the viewing public.

HSFB
12-07-2011, 11:37 PM
....yes, we are.

......if we do not lose the turnover battle.

Manso/V8
12-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Okay Manso...who you got for this one?

Honestly, I still haven't decided, but I am leaning toward the Texans.....here is what I am mulling over.

The Coldspring D is very stingy but the Texans have the best offense, and more importantly the best passing team CS has faced.
My biggest concern is the OL, avoiding too many negative yardage plays(there will be some) and constant pressure on Lambert. I am sure that Smith will move the ball regardless. Our young fullback had the most rushing yards for us, I'm guessing they are similar in speed but Smith is much stronger which helps when the going gets tough.
I don't have a gauge if Wilson is quick enough to get the outside edge. Screens, quick slants, and well timed crossing routes will probably be successful.....Lambert needs to get the ball off......rollouts could help avoid the rush but the secondary can fly so watch out for the picks. We added a halfback pass and shuffle pass to get the edge and it worked. I imagine Nelms is cooking something up. I was surprised by some of the gains we did get on the ground, but we did have a strong line and it is possible running the Slot-T worked to our advantage since I doubt CS sees that scheme very often. Overall, I say if we put up 14 (without one of our key starters on the line), I feel confident a healthy Wimberley can put up more, at least 3 TD's, and a FG or two, or maybe another TD.....so I say yall put up somewhere between 21 and 28 points.

Coldspring does have talent on offense. Gilbert wasn't as advertised in our game at running back, he didn't seem to want to take a hit and never broke loose, Monroe was more impressive with his hard running style.....but from what I have learned from the CS posters, Gilbert actually had the flu, and I can see how that would have impacted him. Wimberley also has at least one of the best defenses CS will have faced.....especially with Smith and Blakemore back healthy. Once yall adjust to their speed and pressure them, they may revert back to the mistakes (fumbles and penalties) they committed in the earlier playoff games. It doesn't appear CS is used to strong pressure and teams resisting their dominance, and I think that is what lead to those early playoff mistakes..........chop blocks, blocks(tackles) in the back, and holding penalties negated big gains, but also allowed those big gains to transpire. Once CS settled down and stopped the penalties, they didn't seem to move the ball all that consistently.....they also fumbled a lot and had some bad snaps under pressure. My gut tells me that their offensive rebirth against West Orange-Stark had more to do with WOS than Coldspring......they do really well against weaker defenses. If little ol' Bellville can hold the Trojans to one offensive TD during regulation......and that damn punt return TD, then Wimberley should be able to do the same or better. CS was pretty tight and took care of business to score in OT. Their big game experience and our lack of it probably was a factor in the OT result.

It sounds like I am talking myself in to picking the Texans 24/Coldspring 13, but I am not ready to commit yet.

chs96
12-08-2011, 12:19 AM
I have been studying Coldspring's playoff run last year. wow...they donkey stomped 3 out of 4 teams on their way to semi-final game. Kirbyville was their lone contest and they pulled off a close win against a previously unbeaten team. They had actually lost to that team to open their season last year. This year has a different feel to it in that they have only comfortably handled their business one time in the last 4 games. I know there has been some discussion on the board about some of their issues with poor execution, illness and injuries and how glad fans were to see the clean playing, healthy Coldspring re-emerge. And clearly, their defense has held up their end of bargain in the playoffs. Reportedly, they are even better than last year. Still there seems to be a little different feel to this year's version of the Trojans. Hopefully, the Texans will play their best game of the season. They will need to do so. Protect the ball and play some fast defense and maybe, just maybe things will work out. Tall order to be sure.

I think we can credit last yrs run on that we were under the radar. No one expected us to win and we were picked to lose every game, even the Wimberley game. This yr we have that X on our backs. No more under the radar no more who is this lil CS team that no one knows about. Its lets stack the box with 8-9 guys to slow down the run. i think that Huffman "exposed us" this yr. They were the first team to slow us down. They had 8-10 players in the box at any given play to stop the run And it worked. We had to go to our passing game. After scoring on a pass play we would spread guys out but let Monroe pound it up the middle. Every team since then would just stack the box full of defensive players and slow the run down. We had to learn how to become a passing team over the last 5-6 games. With a key defensive player out with a broken neck kinda mixed things up in the begining of the playoffs. Then we had an injured Offensive lineman that just made a return last week. We only survived because of our defense!! I hope we can come into this game Friday and play CS foootball . Because if we have to play WT football it will be a long night for us.

Tejastrue
12-08-2011, 01:41 AM
Honestly, I still haven't decided, but I am leaning toward the Texans.....here is what I am mulling over.

The Coldspring D is very stingy but the Texans have the best offense, and more importantly the best passing team CS has faced.
My biggest concern is the OL, avoiding too many negative yardage plays(there will be some) and constant pressure on Lambert. I am sure that Smith will move the ball regardless. Our young fullback had the most rushing yards for us, I'm guessing they are similar in speed but Smith is much stronger which helps when the going gets tough.
I don't have a gauge if Wilson is quick enough to get the outside edge. Screens, quick slants, and well timed crossing routes will probably be successful.....Lambert needs to get the ball off......rollouts could help avoid the rush but the secondary can fly so watch out for the picks. We added a halfback pass and shuffle pass to get the edge and it worked. I imagine Nelms is cooking something up. I was surprised by some of the gains we did get on the ground, but we did have a strong line and it is possible running the Slot-T worked to our advantage since I doubt CS sees that scheme very often. Overall, I say if we put up 14 (without one of our key starters on the line), I feel confident a healthy Wimberley can put up more, at least 3 TD's, and a FG or two, or maybe another TD.....so I say yall put up somewhere between 21 and 28 points.

Coldspring does have talent on offense. Gilbert wasn't as advertised in our game at running back, he didn't seem to want to take a hit and never broke loose, Monroe was more impressive with his hard running style.....but from what I have learned from the CS posters, Gilbert actually had the flu, and I can see how that would have impacted him. Wimberley also has at least one of the best defenses CS will have faced.....especially with Smith and Blakemore back healthy. Once yall adjust to their speed and pressure them, they may revert back to the mistakes (fumbles and penalties) they committed in the earlier playoff games. It doesn't appear CS is used to strong pressure and teams resisting their dominance, and I think that is what lead to those early playoff mistakes..........chop blocks, blocks(tackles) in the back, and holding penalties negated big gains, but also allowed those big gains to transpire. Once CS settled down and stopped the penalties, they didn't seem to move the ball all that consistently.....they also fumbled a lot and had some bad snaps under pressure. My gut tells me that their offensive rebirth against West Orange-Stark had more to do with WOS than Coldspring......they do really well against weaker defenses. If little ol' Bellville can hold the Trojans to one offensive TD during regulation......and that damn punt return TD, then Wimberley should be able to do the same or better. CS was pretty tight and took care of business to score in OT. Their big game experience and our lack of it probably was a factor in the OT result.

It sounds like I am talking myself in to picking the Texans 24/Coldspring 13, but I am not ready to commit yet.

Fair enough. You know you've got to go with WT or CS so we can give each other grief (if necessary) depending on the outcome. lol...As I have said before I felt that dang old Taylor game was our big scare and that nothing is gonna keep us from the SC game now. I know CS feels they have some unfinished business after getting there and falling to Carthage. We've been hearing all year about their defense (with good reason) but I believe that the Wimberley D will be the difference. I know they want to make amends for last year. No other motivation is necessary. We will absolutely need to run the ball so that defense can't pin their ears back and smother Lambert. I know he's got some things from last year that he would love to make amends for. I like your suggested score. If we hold them to two scores, no doubt in my mind we will take this one.

wimbo_pro
12-08-2011, 07:07 AM
I went and watched the boys practice yesterday. Great workout, they look good. Of course, the trick plays like the triple reverse, doubleback pitching flea flicker screen pass seems to be ready to go. The fake kick-off looks like a winner too. I am even more convinced now that we will win this game!

Trojans98
12-08-2011, 08:10 AM
I'm really glad y'all are so confident this year. Manso you know the truth. You seen the game against Bellville. The news piece was nice.

Tejastrue
12-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I'm really glad y'all are so confident this year. Manso you know the truth. You seen the game against Bellville. The news piece was nice.

We respect you guys not fear, and yes, we are a confident bunch. We traveled the tougher road to get here and I believe it will be reflected in this game.

Gone Fishing
12-08-2011, 08:49 AM
....yes, we are.

......if we do not lose the turnover battle.

Our D is better than last year. They also have improved each game in the playoffs, with last week making us very proud and I think the best we've seen..............Code Red.

wimbo_pro
12-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Our D is better than last year. They also have improved each game in the playoffs, with last week making us very proud and I think the best we've seen..............Code Red.

Our D is MUCH better right now than any other time in our history, save the '05 team. If we hold CS to less than 3 TD's (which is definitely possible by looking at their last 4 games), and then our D improves again this week...this just might be as good as 05. (They win it all, then we can talk about possibly being even better).Tough to say until they pass the test ahead of them.

I think, this year, its CS that has something to prove. They are the ones under the microscope, and they are the ones who are under pressure to correct their play off production. We, on the other hand, are well matched against them, confident, experienced, and ready to revenge last years lost. We are sitting in the catbird seat, as I see it.

YTBulldogs
12-08-2011, 09:13 AM
Revised prediction:

WT 23
CS 12

A defensive battle here. Both "D's" will have more success then the offensives of these fine schools. Texans well balanced attack will garner more scoring chances IMO. Lambert will have success with play fake gun keepers off tackle. Looks like CS ends come up field too far, opening this up inside the ends. FG points might be wise, versus turning it over inside the 20 without putting something on the board too. Love the smarts of the Texan secondary. Movement of the LB corp, and the fly to the ball mechanics the unit executes. WT corners must protect the corners and make sure it get's the CS speedster's to cut back into the path of those aggressive LB'ers coming. Must tackle on first contact. YAC (yards after contact) prevention will be paramount here for both teams.

Special team play due to the defenses stopping each other will be big and directional punting more important in this game than most. Prevent returns by either team if ya can.

Manso/V8
12-08-2011, 09:30 AM

I did the see the Bellville game, and it was an honor to be on the field against the Trojans. I have never seen a high school football team play with such speed and intensity. Despite the mistakes made by both teams, I can honestly say it was the best high school game I had ever seen. One of the guys in our group who had two sons play at Klein who both went D-1 said the same thing. Coldspring has a great team across the board, I didn't see one weak spot. Yall turned me in to a fan. Yall obviously had more talent than we did, and must have great coaches and great leaders on the team. Each one of your players seemed to play at their full potential and gave 110% effort. We were disappointed that we lost, but as I have said before, it wasn't a lingering stinging feeling, more like "Wow, we were able to hang with them". You have to realize that we turned it around this year from a very painful 2-8 season last year, and finished 10-2 this year. Playing against a team with the speed and intensity of Coldspring will make our returning sophomores and juniors much better, and the lesson was worth the loss. That game was our state championship game this year. I hope you were impressed by the effort of the Bellville team.

No doubt the Wimberley/Coldspring rematch is going to be a great game. I am a fan of both teams. I keep going back and forth on who I am picking in the game. In the end it is a futile effort, but the exercise is fun. We won't know until the final second ticks away, maybe in regulation or maybe in the 3rd OT. Best of luck to both teams!

YTBulldogs
12-08-2011, 09:34 AM
You have to realize that we turned it around this year from a very painful 2-8 season last year, and finished 10-2 this year. Playing against a team with the speed and intensity of Coldspring will make our returning sophomores and juniors much better, and the lesson was worth the loss. That game was our state championship game this year. I hope you were impressed by the effort of the Bellville team.

No doubt the Wimberley/Coldspring rematch is going to be a great game. I am a fan of both teams. I keep going back and forth on who I am picking in the game. In the end it is a futile effort, but the exercise is fun. We won't know until the final second ticks away, maybe in regulation or maybe in the 3rd OT. Best of luck to both teams!

Yes V8, the Bellville show this year was fun to see. Great story, and look forward to it continuing next year with even more success.

LionFan72
12-08-2011, 09:56 AM
Has either team played from a 2 touchdown deficit this year and what game?

Sportshack
12-08-2011, 10:03 AM
[QUOTE=Manso/V8;1648427]
If little ol' Bellville can hold the Trojans to one offensive TD during regulation......and that damn punt return TD, then Wimberley should be able to do the same or better.

Hold on now...little ol' Bellville was a 10-1 team when they played Coldspring. In addition, they only gave up as much as 18 points twice all season to that point, once in a loss and once in a victory. Their 2 losses were close and at the hands of good football teams. They were a salty, physical team.

The real hurdle for the Texans will be to establish some sort of running game. They simply could not do it last year against a reportedly less talented defense. Of course, the Texans now have the experience of seeing how they will be attacked defensively and Smith will be fully available. I think they are going to have to pound it inside some to hopefully negate some of CS speed. If they can have some success, then they can use the diversity of their offensive scheme to perhaps keep them off balance some. There is but no question that Coldspring has great athletes. I saw it last year. They out athleted Wimberley last year. Wimberley has the return of 3 great high school football players that were not available last year. The 2nd receiver will have to step it up big time in this game.

And I cannot emphasize enough that the Texans defense against the run is just exponetially better than last year. Short passing game, physical runs, scheming to deal with quickness disadvantage of OT's will all be paramount. I would be fairly confident if I was Coldspring fans based on what they saw out of Wimberley last year. I never really felt like WHS could win that game once we got into it a little bit. Of course, WHS was down 20-0 reasonably early. However based on improvements, I do feel the Texans can win this year if they make a few more plays on offense. I think it will be a close game. Both coaching staffs are good. Wimberley's playmakers on both sides of ball have to come up big.

Sportshack
12-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Has either team played from a 2 touchdown deficit this year and what game?

Not Wimberley. I do not believe Coldspring either. Wimberley was briefly behind Dripping Springs (1st Qtr), Taylor (in 1st qtr, 2nd qtr and in 1st OT), and Gonzales (7-6 1st qtr).

LionFan72
12-08-2011, 10:42 AM
Not Wimberley. I do not believe Coldspring either. Wimberley was briefly behind Dripping Springs (1st Qtr), Taylor (in 1st qtr, 2nd qtr and in 1st OT), and Gonzales (7-6 1st qtr).

I couldn't recall either of them really being pressured in a game, regardless, this will be tough for both! Good luck to both!

lbjacj
12-08-2011, 12:06 PM

I was thinking Brady Lambert but wrote Blake more?:confused:

pirate4state
12-08-2011, 12:36 PM
Our D is MUCH better right now than any other time in our history, save the '05 team. If we hold CS to less than 3 TD's (which is definitely possible by looking at their last 4 games), and then our D improves again this week...this just might be as good as 05. (They win it all, then we can talk about possibly being even better).Tough to say until they pass the test ahead of them.

I think, this year, its CS that has something to prove. They are the ones under the microscope, and they are the ones who are under pressure to correct their play off production. We, on the other hand, are well matched against them, confident, experienced, and ready to revenge last years lost. We are sitting in the catbird seat, as I see it.

What I saw Saturday was a very, very good defense, but IMO not as strong as '05. I only saw your '05 team at the state game, but I came away very impressed and that impression has stood up all these years. I wish I could watch this game. Good luck, Texans!

LionFan72
12-08-2011, 01:08 PM
coldspring 34-wimberly 23

Tejastrue
12-08-2011, 01:34 PM
LF72, I guess your hypocrisy only goes so far..lol...:wave:

It's Wimberley....

hookandladder
12-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Even though we're not your normal Region 4 team? :wave:

Yes, Region 4 is just not on the level of Region 2 and 3 in football however there are some exceptions. Wimberley I would consider Region 3 and now you step up to play the best 3A has to offer in CS, I feel CS will be to much for you guys. You struggled to get past Sealy and CS is much better then Sealy, Good Luck.

LionFan72
12-08-2011, 02:14 PM
LF72, I guess your hypocrisy only goes so far..lol...:wave:

It's Wimberley....
OOPS, sorry,finger slipped, it could be:
Wimberley 34-Coldspring 23

Good luck guys, both teams are deserving!

Sportshack
12-08-2011, 02:55 PM
Yes, Region 4 is just not on the level of Region 2 and 3 in football however there are some exceptions. Wimberley I would consider Region 3 and now you step up to play the best 3A has to offer in CS, I feel CS will be to much for you guys. You struggled to get past Sealy and CS is much better then Sealy, Good Luck.

And Coldspring struggled to get by Bellville who did not get past Sealy. And Coldspring struggled to get past Lorena who did not seem to have that good a year. All games are different at different times. However, we remember how good Coldsprings plays quite well.

Sportshack
12-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I couldn't recall either of them really being pressured in a game, regardless, this will be tough for both! Good luck to both!

Well...Wimberley was down 31-24 after 1st session of 1st overtime against Taylor. The Texans quickly got a 25-yard run from QB where he appeared to strain his hamstring. However, TD called back due to holding. So Texans faced a 1st down and 20 from own 35 yard line with a slightly gimpy QB. It shore felt like pressure at the time. However, the Texans hunkered down and overcame to tie game and win in 2nd OT.

They also led 28-27 over Sealy as the Tigers went for 2 to win the game. That also seemed like pressure to me. Another great effort. So...the Texans have faced some pressure this year but have not had to overcome the hurdle of being behind by 2 TD's.

wimbo_pro
12-08-2011, 03:47 PM
What I saw Saturday was a very, very good defense, but IMO not as strong as '05. I only saw your '05 team at the state game, but I came away very impressed and that impression has stood up all these years. I wish I could watch this game. Good luck, Texans!

I think we are seeing things the same way. I will need to see another step up in performance to put them in the '05 level. Add to it, the reg. season had a few games where they werent so strong...but I guess the 05 team did as well. Anyways...the point is...these boys are heading that direction, improving each game, and if they can get better this game (on top of what you saw Saturday), we will have some real reasons to have the "comparison" discussions.

Tejastrue
12-08-2011, 05:03 PM

Oh yes, now I remember. Believe your thoughts have always been that we would be an average team in region 2-3. Well, here we are again. Gonna do our best to quiet the doubters.

Tejastrue
12-08-2011, 05:59 PM
http://austin.ynn.com/content/sports/281881/wilde-about-texas-football--wimberley-texans-ready-for-playoffs

HEMOTOXIC
12-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Good Luck to both teams.

Go TROJANS! Make my co worker very proud!

Manso/V8
12-08-2011, 06:58 PM
Good Luck to both teams.

Go TROJANS! Make my co worker very proud!

I got some kin folk that live in Coldspring!

Trojanswin
12-08-2011, 08:01 PM
24 Hours to kick-off.:clap:

lbjacj
12-08-2011, 08:57 PM
http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/eastex/sports/defense-will-be-key-in-coldspring-wimberley-semifinal/article_7efec402-20f9-11e1-8d92-0019bb2963f4.html#.TuEzOsYZSMI.facebook

http://www.yourhoustonnews.com/eastex/sports/coldspring-will-face-familiar-opponent-this-weekend/article_775a9318-b3ed-514c-9674-305ffbb2656b.html

Manso/V8
12-08-2011, 09:48 PM

Have you seen Coldspring's defense? That is something to behold. It is not Code Red.....more like Code Blood Red, or better yet just plain Code Blood.

Trojanswin
12-08-2011, 09:56 PM
I got some kin folk that live in Coldspring!
Everyone has deep dark secrets Manso. I got kin folk that live in Coldspring too.

Manso/V8
12-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Everyone has deep dark secrets Manso. I got kin folk that live in Coldspring too.

You still got kin folk in Bellville?

Trojanswin
12-08-2011, 10:39 PM
You still got kin folk in Bellville?
My whole family is all around the Industry/Shelby area. Wife's is from Coldspring.

Manso/V8
12-08-2011, 11:07 PM
My whole family is all around the Industry/Shelby area. Wife's is from Coldspring.

Industry/Shelby is a beautiful part of the county. I have some kin folk in Industry too. Most of my family is from the Burleigh/Piney Creek and Oak Hill.
They say Austin County is the most Line Bred county in the state...... we might even be related! Don't tell the Wimberley fans, or they will probably post some banjo music.

My wife's cousin lives in Coldspring.

Tejastrue
12-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Industry/Shelby is a beautiful part of the county. I have some kin folk in Industry too. Most of my family is from the Burleigh/Piney Creek and Oak Hill.
They say Austin County is the most Line Bred county in the state...... we might even be related! Don't tell the Wimberley fans, or they will probably post some banjo music.

My wife's cousin lives in Coldspring.

Nah, we would never do that...:wave:

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1344342666887&id=dc68c5a02b81731d7d2addb9a73a4417

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE&feature=player_embedded

Tejastrue
12-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Blakemore article

http://www.statesman.com/sports/highschool/wimberleys-blakemore-in-position-to-turn-childhood-title-2021744.html

garciap77
12-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Good Luck to both teams!

Safe travels!!!!

Go http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/wimberley300x125_914688g.jpg !

wimbo_pro
12-09-2011, 08:14 AM
Good Luck to both teams!

Safe travels!!!!

Go http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/wimberley300x125_914688g.jpg !

Hell yeah Garcia!!!! Keep on Talkin'!!!!

wimbo_pro
12-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Have you seen Coldspring's defense? That is something to behold. It is not Code Red.....more like Code Blood Red, or better yet just plain Code Blood.

In the statistcial ratings, CS defense is better than WT's defense...but only slightly. We have a pretty good D as well, dont forget that.

HSFB
12-09-2011, 08:40 AM
It will be so important for our QB to make the pre-snap read and "see-it....sling-it" as whe will not have much time to throw. We will win ths game if we keep it at minus 1 in turnovers.

Wimberley 31
Coldspring 14

T-rojan Fan
12-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Finally. Inside the 12 hour mark. Guess I should go get in line pretty soon (after the 3 hour drive) --- This "little" stadium will be packed for what looks like the game of year!

Get to the corner and turn it upfield Sherman! Did I mention he was fast?

TROJANS!!!!!!

Sportshack
12-09-2011, 08:53 AM
Nah, we would never do that...:wave:

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=1344342666887&id=dc68c5a02b81731d7d2addb9a73a4417

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzae_SqbmDE&feature=player_embedded

A classic scene and post!!!! :clap:

Sportshack
12-09-2011, 09:15 AM
Wimberley faced the most touted defense in Region IV in undefeated Gonzales in round 2. The Apaches had 5 shutouts on the season and not many points scored on them. The Texans played a great game to overcome that "D" and move on. The Texans later faced a previously prolific running offense in undefeated Devine. In that game...the Texans defense really rose to the occasion to help team move on. I believe it will take a monumental effort on both sides of the ball and from the coaches to overcome Coldspring. They are just flat out talented. Fortuneatley, the Texans have several real playmakers on their team that seem to rise to the occasion. Of course, the same can be said about CS. A team does not go undefeated through 4 rounds deep without having such players. I suspect Gilbert will have some explosive plays as he is that type of athlete. However, other playoff teams teams have been in close games with them and, therefore, the Texans should be able to do so as well. We will see. Dadada dahhhh....GO TEXANS!!!!

YTBulldogs
12-09-2011, 09:28 AM
It's Game Day!!!!

Go get'm Wimberley. R4 is behind ya.

bulldog82
12-09-2011, 09:59 AM
Represent!!!

Gone Fishing
12-09-2011, 09:59 AM
It's Game Day!!!!

Go get'm Wimberley. R4 is behind ya.

Thanks YT!

YTBulldogs
12-09-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks YT!

I want to attend Wimbo's "State Champ Party" in Arlington, next weekend. :cheerl:

ogg
12-09-2011, 10:47 AM
Wimberley faced the most touted defense in Region IV in undefeated Gonzales in round 2. The Apaches had 5 shutouts on the season and not many points scored on them. The Texans played a great game to overcome that "D" and move on. The Texans later faced a previously prolific running offense in undefeated Devine. In that game...the Texans defense really rose to the occasion to help team move on. I believe it will take a monumental effort on both sides of the ball and from the coaches to overcome Coldspring. They are just flat out talented. Fortuneatley, the Texans have several real playmakers on their team that seem to rise to the occasion. Of course, the same can be said about CS. A team does not go undefeated through 4 rounds deep without having such players. I suspect Gilbert will have some explosive plays as he is that type of athlete. However, other playoff teams teams have been in close games with them and, therefore, the Texans should be able to do so as well. We will see. Dadada dahhhh....GO TEXANS!!!!
Most successful defensive scheme/plan against Wimberley this year wasn’t carried out by a defensive unit. Just saying.

lbjacj
12-09-2011, 12:04 PM
http://austin.ynn.com/content/sports/281891/wimberley-eyes-revenge-in-their-state-semi-final-rematch

wimbo_pro
12-09-2011, 02:33 PM
I predict an offensive explosion by the Texans. An explosion usually means a huge margin of victory for the Texans, in the case of CS's defense, i still with my prediction of just under 30 points scored.

On a final note, CS and their fans are a class act, and we are honored to play them. May the game be clean and without injury, and no matter what happens, the better team will win.

LionFan72
12-09-2011, 02:37 PM
I predict an offensive explosion by the Texans. An explosion usually means a huge margin of victory for the Texans, in the case of CS's defense, i still with my prediction of just under 30 points scored.

On a final note, CS and their fans are a class act, and we are honored to play them. May the game be clean and without injury, and no matter what happens, the better team will win.

Wimbo_pro, what can I add; better left to the pro......only Trojans by 13! I'll take my crow bar-b-cued, Thanks! Good luck to both, be back tomorrow to rehash the results.

chs96
12-09-2011, 02:55 PM
On a final note, CS and their fans are a class act, and we are honored to play them. May the game be clean and without injury, and no matter what happens, the better team will win.[/QUOTE]

Thanks !! We feel the same about you guys. This will be a great match up. I'm going with CS by 2 TDS. Either way a great team is going to win tonight. Im leaving work around 3 in Houston. And will see you guys at the game !! Good luck to both teams !! Day by Day.

Manso/V8
12-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Fair enough. You know you've got to go with WT or CS so we can give each other grief (if necessary) depending on the outcome. lol...As I have said before I felt that dang old Taylor game was our big scare and that nothing is gonna keep us from the SC game now. I know CS feels they have some unfinished business after getting there and falling to Carthage. We've been hearing all year about their defense (with good reason) but I believe that the Wimberley D will be the difference. I know they want to make amends for last year. No other motivation is necessary. We will absolutely need to run the ball so that defense can't pin their ears back and smother Lambert. I know he's got some things from last year that he would love to make amends for. I like your suggested score. If we hold them to two scores, no doubt in my mind we will take this one.

I just don't know who is going to take home the W. Both are great teams with a lot of "want to".....I have thought about it several times, and I can almost convince myself that each team is going to advance. The reality is, it is going to be determined on the field.

So I am going to take Coldspring 24/Wimberley 14.....for several reasons, non of which are very good.....

1. To get back at TejasTrue for the banjo picture.
2. If the score comes out that way, I can say Coldspring beat Wimberley by more than they beat Bellville.
3. Give the Wimberley folks a reason not to like me 100%.....since I am a smart aleck.
4. To even out the poll a little bit for two closely matched teams , the larger number of Wimberley and Regions IV posters may have skewed the numbers.
5. So I can keep saying Region III is better than Region IV......unless of course Bellville gets shifted in to Region IV next year.

Best of luck to both teams. I hate to see the season end for either of these fine teams, but that is the way the playoffs work.
I hope for the ultimate display of effort and sportsmanship and pray for an injury free contest!

Tejastrue
12-09-2011, 04:28 PM
http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/sports/x1561646068/High-School-Football-Confident-Texans-ready-for-rematch