PDA

View Full Version : Bay City coach

ExScoop
12-03-2011, 01:43 PM
I've been hearing rumblings that Robert Blackmon may not be the Bay City coach next year
I think he's been there 4 years and hasn't done well at all-
They had a great QB this year with Derek Brown who committed to Rice
Blackcats lost to rival El Campo with 9 seconds left--They couldn't beat weak Foster team and it took overtime to beat Brazosport

BC has some talented athletes but can't win..

I had a good working relationship for two years when I was the sports editor at the Bay City Tribune
We sat down every Monday afternoon for our weekly interview and he was always straight forward

He blamed himseld this year for not winning the big games

SHSBulldog00
12-03-2011, 01:57 PM
There has been uncertainty with his job for the last two or three years.

I have not had the pleasure to meet Coach Blackmon but he seems like a really good guy.

Other than Derek Brown, Bay City hasn't had many strong athlete's since Morris was in town.

baseballcoach13
12-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Doesn't surprise me a bit.

Dogs_21
12-03-2011, 11:12 PM
Blackmon is a good dude, Bay City just hasn't had the old type of Bay City athletes plus have been in tough districts the last few years. If they move down to 3A I think they will be ok.

ExScoop
12-04-2011, 08:32 AM
In 2010-Blackmon couldn't make up his mind who he wanted to QB- Derek Brown or the Erwin kid
This year Brown got most of the snaps. Still Erwin played in piviotal parts of the game

BC doesn't have the talened they once did-They still had a chance of finishing 4th in 2010 and 2011 to get the 4th playoff spot.

While Blackmon is a great guy with high morals and standards, a great coach he is not-Went through serveral offensive and defensive coordinators

They were and up and down team for the three years I covered them and never had any consistency

They had no reason losing to Lamar and Foster this past year and the easily could have beaten El Campo.
Even with Brown, they had one of the worst offesens in the district and couldn't score points.

They turned the ball over game in and game out and were always getting personal foul penalties.

Blackmon treated me well and never turned me down for an interview after a loss-He told it like it was and blamed himself on several occassions that he lost the game.

Don't think he is the answer for Bay City to become winners again. Doubt the Blackcats will ever have the teams they used to. The lower level junior high grades haven't faired well either

Dogs_21
12-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Dont know we will have to just wait in see. I still like their chances in 3A

scrub c
12-05-2011, 08:40 AM
If they move down to 3A I think they will be ok.

Problem is...they still have to play sweeny, west columbia, wharton, most likely elcampo. Unless wh and ec go towards cuero...
I dont think dropping to 3A gets much easier.

Dogs_21
12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Understandable but it's not like Sweeny or West Columbia beat them bad honestly and both Sweeny and West Columbia are going to have hell with LaMarque if they move in our district.

Old Green
12-06-2011, 07:31 AM
I've always liked Blackmon. Use to help out with the Youth football programs in Cuero years back.

What's Bay City's enrollment now ?

SHSBulldog00
12-06-2011, 09:46 AM
I've always liked Blackmon. Use to help out with the Youth football programs in Cuero years back.

What's Bay City's enrollment now ?

ExScoop
12-06-2011, 09:59 PM
From Victoria Advocate

Bay City will soon have its fourth athletic director and head football coach in seven years.

Robert Blackmon resigned from the position Tuesday, school officials confirmed.

Blackmon has been the athletic director and head football coach at Bay City for four seasons.

The Blackcats went 10-28 during his tenure and failed to make the playoffs.

Blackmon did not return phone messages seeking comment.

Keith Brown, superintendent of the Bay City school district, said in an email the district has begun advertising for the position and will conduct "comprehensive search" for a new athletic director and head football coach.

Blackmon was an assistant football coach and head track coach at Bay City under Alan Cherry and Danny Edelman before becoming the athletic director and head coach in February 2008.

Bay City went 3-7 this season and 1-5 in District 23-4A play. Five of its losses were by six points or less.

Bay City advanced to the Class 4A state final in 2000, 2001 and 2003 and won the Division I state championship in 2000. The Blackcats, though, have not qualified for postseason play since 2007.

Blackmon, a Van Vleck alumnus, played college football at Baylor and was selected in the second round of the NFL draft in 1990 by the Seattle Seahawks.

The Matagorda County native played eight seasons in the NFL with the Seahawks and the Indianapolis Colts.

DavidWooderson
12-07-2011, 12:00 AM
is he Rolando's brother?

ExScoop
12-07-2011, 09:48 PM
I was really shocked that the Bay City Tribune didn't have a story in today's paper about Blackmon-I know that If I would have still been the sports editor I would have found out and had a story with quotes

Apparently the current sports editor didn't have a good working relationship with Blackmon and never hard quotes in a story

It will be interesting to see if the Matagorda County Advocate has a story on Blackmon in tomorrow's paper.

baseballcoach13
12-08-2011, 10:09 AM
May be that the sports editor knows something about him..........

ExScoop
12-10-2011, 08:19 PM
Bay City

ExScoop
12-10-2011, 08:28 PM
There was a story about the Bay City coach resigning but I chose not to past and copy because of copywright laws
Just go to Bay City Tribune website to read the story