PDA

View Full Version : Sherman out and fedora in?

rancher
12-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Hearing from sources that Sherman has less than 50/50 chance to keep job. Hearing Larry Fedora is the man or the Alabama D.C. Could it be the Larry and Lee show next year at Kyle Field. Stay tuned.

Saggy Aggie
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
Say wha....?

rancher
12-01-2011, 12:06 PM
A SHERMAN WATCH HAS NOW BEEN POSTED AT THE 12 MAN SITE. Here is link. Watch for the Larry and Lee Show.

http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2011/12/1/2602444/shermanwatch

Macarthur
12-01-2011, 12:10 PM
A SHERMAN WATCH HAS NOW BEEN POSTED AT THE 12 MAN SITE. Here is link. Watch for the Larry and Lee Show.

http://www.iamthe12thman.com/2011/12/1/2602444/shermanwatch

Lots of smoke.

Kirby Smart or Fedora would both be very solid choices.

rancher
12-01-2011, 12:11 PM
Where there is smoke there is a firing.

rancher
12-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Aggies have undermined Mike Sherman so badly that he must be fired
Here is Houston Chronicle Report just out.

http://blog.chron.com/sportsjustice/2011/12/aggies-have-undermined-mike-sherman-so-badly-that-he-must-be-fired/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A%20houstonchronicle%2Ftopheadl ines%20(chron.com%20-%20Top%20Stories)&utm_content=My%20Yahoo#finalframe

Macarthur
12-01-2011, 12:21 PM
I don't necessarily agree with the article. If they end up firing him, there really is no undermining; just the process.

If they do keep him, you could certainly make the case that the politics behind the scenes has undermined him. I think we have to wait and see the final decision before that determination can be made.

Old Tiger
12-01-2011, 12:28 PM
FRAN > SHERM

caps

coach
12-01-2011, 02:01 PM
27-23 and 25-25

NastySlot
12-01-2011, 02:13 PM
don't know what s going to happen...rumors i've heard he will be told to get an OC and might have to make few coaching changes.

NastySlot
12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Lots of smoke.

Kirby Smart or Fedora would both be very solid choices.

i was thinking about a former student that might of been a good one in Chad Morris.

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2011, 02:18 PM
For A&M to win they are going to have to admit they need basically a total tear down and rebuild..and then give whoever it is the time to do just that..When Brown was brought in at Texa that had had legit success just a couple of years before, but they looked at it as a we need to rebuild everything about the football program from the ground up

Red&White_9x5
12-01-2011, 02:22 PM
All of this uncertainty has to be doing some serious damage in the recruiting department for the soon to be new SEC West doormat down in Aggieville!

greendawg84
12-01-2011, 02:51 PM
i was thinking about a former student that might of been a good one in Chad Morris.

You just might be on to something there Nasty.......

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Dont know if Morris is ready to walk into a SEC HC..maybe bring him in as OC and go from there

Macarthur
12-01-2011, 03:06 PM
For A&M to win they are going to have to admit they need basically a total tear down and rebuild..and then give whoever it is the time to do just that..When Brown was brought in at Texa that had had legit success just a couple of years before, but they looked at it as a we need to rebuild everything about the football program from the ground up

I guess it depends on what you mean by 'tear it down'. A&M has excellent talent on campus and a top 10 recruiting class (some services say it's a top 5 class). The right guy could come in and have immediate success. That team this year going 6-6 is completely unacceptable. They lack a couple of top defensive playmakers, but outside of that, their talent level is very high.

buff4ever
12-01-2011, 03:14 PM
I guess it depends on what you mean by 'tear it down'. A&M has excellent talent on campus and a top 10 recruiting class (some services say it's a top 5 class). The right guy could come in and have immediate success. That team this year going 6-6 is completely unacceptable. They lack a couple of top defensive playmakers, but outside of that, their talent level is very high.

I agree with this, I would think the a&m job going into the SEC is very attractive.

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2011, 03:17 PM
Texas had not lost getting good recruits before they brought in Brown...it was not about really tearing it all down, it was the mentality of tearing it down and giving the coach the keys and saying here take the time to do it right and not become a revolving door every 4 years.

Macarthur
12-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Texas had not lost getting good recruits before they brought in Brown...it was not about really tearing it all down, it was the mentality of tearing it down and giving the coach the keys and saying here take the time to do it right and not become a revolving door every 4 years.

I'm not arguing with you, but I think your point is a given.

I think 4 years is pretty patient. Sherman has a worse record than Fran. Sherman has done a good job recruiting which I think is even more of an indictment of him. OU and UT have both been somewhat down compared to what they were 4 to 7 years ago and he still as accomplished very little. HE is sub .500 in conference play. Given the talent and recources at his disposal, that's simply not acceptable.

And if we are sitting here 4 years from now and another guy is sub .500 against SEC west opponents, A&M should be having conversations about getting a new coach again. I've heard this argument that you don't want it to be a revolving door, like ND has been. I get that idea, but how long is enough time? I think sometimes you can tell after one year if a guy is not right. YOu can bet your butt that if Mac had come to UT and been .500 after 4 years, he would have been gone, and rightly so. A&M should have high standards. IF you don't win, you're gone. I don't think it's real complicated.

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2011, 03:40 PM
I'm not arguing with you, but I think your point is a given.

I think 4 years is pretty patient. Sherman has a worse record than Fran. Sherman has done a good job recruiting which I think is even more of an indictment of him. OU and UT have both been somewhat down compared to what they were 4 to 7 years ago and he still as accomplished very little. HE is sub .500 in conference play. Given the talent and recources at his disposal, that's simply not acceptable.

And if we are sitting here 4 years from now and another guy is sub .500 against SEC west opponents, A&M should be having conversations about getting a new coach again. I've heard this argument that you don't want it to be a revolving door, like ND has been. I get that idea, but how long is enough time? I think sometimes you can tell after one year if a guy is not right. YOu can bet your butt that if Mac had come to UT and been .500 after 4 years, he would have been gone, and rightly so. A&M should have high standards. IF you don't win, you're gone. I don't think it's real complicated.

no no..I am not talking about Keeping Sherman..I am saying that is mentality they have to do with this next hire..I think they should go after a young budding HC who has some kind of trck record of turning around a program

icu812
12-01-2011, 04:04 PM
Sumlin?? He's talking with Houston about a contract extension but UCLA and others have him on their short list. A fit in College Station? I know at least one coach on his staff is an Aggie. HC of a SEC school is big time but not sure about the fit for Sumlin. No question its about the $ though.

NastySlot
12-01-2011, 04:39 PM
Sumlin?? He's talking with Houston about a contract extension but UCLA and others have him on their short list. A fit in College Station? I know at least one coach on his staff is an Aggie. HC of a SEC school is big time but not sure about the fit for Sumlin. No question its about the $ though.

Sumlin was on the Aggie staff for a few seasons before going to ou......ASU might be the place he end's up.

Macarthur
12-01-2011, 05:06 PM
no no..I am not talking about Keeping Sherman..I am saying that is mentality they have to do with this next hire..I think they should go after a young budding HC who has some kind of trck record of turning around a program

If that guys out there, that's great. One thing though, is you can't pigeon hole yourself with too many edicts because Bob Stoops had no track record as a HC when OU hired him. Kirby Smart is one of the most respected assistant coaches in the country and will be a HC somewhere in the next couple of years. If you tell yourself no on Kirby, you could be losing out on the next Bob Stoops.

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2011, 05:12 PM
If that guys out there, that's great. One thing though, is you can't pigeon hole yourself with too many edicts because Bob Stoops had no track record as a HC when OU hired him. Kirby Smart is one of the most respected assistant coaches in the country and will be a HC somewhere in the next couple of years. If you tell yourself no on Kirby, you could be losing out on the next Bob Stoops.

I like Smart..I do know some worry that Saban has more to do with D and is basic defacto DC..at Florida at least Stoops was DC under a offensive coach who gave the D to Stoops.

regaleagle
12-01-2011, 05:12 PM
The A&M ship is all but sunk. Now they are bailing water. It's time to face the music. One lump or two in your TEE, ATM??? You baked the cake, and now you must eat it. You're a great cake maker, so I hope you enjoy your just desserts.

BEAST
12-01-2011, 05:13 PM

Art Briles??

BEAST

Macarthur
12-01-2011, 05:17 PM
The A&M ship is all but sunk. Now they are bailing water. It's time to face the music. One lump or two in your TEE, ATM??? You baked the cake, and now you must eat it. You're a great cake maker, so I hope you enjoy your just desserts.

What in the world does this even mean? Have you been drinking?

Txbroadcaster
12-01-2011, 05:18 PM
What in the world does this even mean? Have you been drinking?

dang it did Gsquared hack an account while drinking?

Lucky2Coach
12-01-2011, 06:02 PM

This is honestly the gayest attempt at a putdown I have ever read! I can take the Aggies getting bashed, but using tea and cake references... Go get on a Martha Stewart message board. How many bad cliches can you lump into one post? Seriously, horrible!!!

Daddy D 11
12-01-2011, 07:09 PM
fedora brings texas roots and can recruit the state of mississippi well.
if the Ags don't bring in a HC that opens up another SEC state to them, they're screwing themselves. Must somehow find the magical combo of coach that has relationships within the state of Tx but also in another SEC state...the list narrows once you bring those two factors into play. That's why Fedora isn't all that bad of an idea.

Also, this is not trying to stir things up, but you've also got to realize that not everyone can be the big dog. A&M has never ever ever been on top, but thinks that it is unacceptable NOT to be there. Like everything else in life, there are certain places that things fit (in the shake out of things) and whether that's at the top or somewhere underneath, that's just that. Sure you can be disappointed all you want as an Aggie fan, but to say it's unacceptable to not be on top is just plain retarded considering your program no matter who was your HC has NEVER EVER been there. As fans yall continue to hold every stinking coach up to this IMAGINARY bar of expectations as if the last guy was above that bar??? It's perplexing for sure. Throughout the conferences existence, the Aggies are a .500% football team so I fail to see why the bar continues to be so damn high? GIVE A FREAKING COACH SOME TIME AND HE MIGHT JUST WIN SOME GAMES FOR YOU GUYS. If you really wanna blow your minds...go look at Tom Landry's win loss records at the cowboys in his first couple seasons and then ask yourself if y'all would have fired Landry or not had you been in that situation??? THINGS TAKE TIME, specially when you aren't a college football power and never have been.

zebrablue2
12-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Art Briles??

BEAST

should have gotten him 4 yrs ago:iagree:

Roughneck93
12-01-2011, 08:22 PM
It's official...Sherman is out. Kevin Sumlin will probably get a call.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/7304629/texas-aggies-fire-football-coach-mike-sherman

rancher
12-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Just remember it was rancher and his inside sources who broke this earlier in the day. Bring on the larry and lee era.

spirate_9
12-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I'm hoping for Kirby Smart. A young, energetic, defensive minded guy would be great for the Ags.

rancher
12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
Houston Chronicle Reporting Mike Sumlin top man for job. Here is link.

http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2011/12/report-sherman-out-as-aggies-coach/

rancher
12-01-2011, 08:52 PM
Just read report that ASU has or will offer Sumlin $4 million a year to hire quickly. ASU wants to act fast before the Aggies pool their money.

NastySlot
12-01-2011, 08:58 PM
A&M, ASU or whoever...........would be nice if they let the Houston Cougars have their coach while they play for conference title and chance at a BCS game.............guess it's impossible with the times of social media and the net.

i guess it also holds true for Fedora's Eagles...excluding the BCS bid.

3afan
12-01-2011, 10:16 PM
Sherman just fired - ESPN

From DMN:
Texas A&M's football program is already preparing for the jump to the SEC next season, but they won't be making the move with Mike Sherman at the helm. After days of uncertainty over Sherman's job, Athletic Director Bill Byrne confirmed in a statement that Sherman will no longer be the head football coach at A&M.

"Mike Sherman has operated our football program with the highest levels of character and integrity over the past four seasons and has served as a great ambassador for Texas A&M University," Byrne said. "Mike has always put the welfare of the student-athlete and Texas A&M first.

"I appreciate Coach Sherman's selfless service to Texas A&M as our head football coach and his tireless efforts in building leaders of character. He is truly one of the great offensive minds in football, both collegiate and professional, and I know that he has much to offer the game of football in the future.

"After discussions with our coaches, we will decide who will be the interim coach of the Aggies in our upcoming bowl game. We will meet with the team and assistant coaches as soon as possible, probably tomorrow."

A number of coaches have already been thrown around as potential candidates, but the name at the top of the list seems to be former A&M assistant Kevin Sumlin. The head coach at Houston, Sumlin has turned the Cougars into one of the most prolific offenses in the country, and currently has the team undefeated going into the Conference USA title game.

Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman tweeted that Sumlin seems to be the choice for most Aggies: "Houston's Kevin Sumlin would emerge as the A&M frontrunner. "He's the favorite of Aggie Nation," the source says."

Sherman will reportedly get somewhere between $3-5 million.

3afan
12-01-2011, 10:19 PM
UH's Sumlin was offered the Arizona St job

Daddy D 11
12-01-2011, 11:10 PM
UH's Sumlin was offered the Arizona St job

that actually has not been confirmed, just been a rumor all day. multiple sources have denied any contact and so did sumlins agent
ASU denied any contact as well
any steam that was getting, sumlin stopped 48 hours ago when TAMU called
TAMU recruiters were pulled off the road yesterday and told to get back to CS, heard this from multiple HS coaches

TAMU is only gonna owe sherman about 3-5 million because shermans dumbass never signed his contract extension

BaseballUmp
12-01-2011, 11:28 PM
Just remember it was rancher and his inside sources who broke this earlier in the day. Bring on the larry and lee era.

Yes, because you are the only person on the face of the Earth that was thinking the same thing. Thank you, thank you soo freaking much.

sinton66
12-02-2011, 06:34 AM
Hopefully, A&M will soon realize it's NOT the coaching staff causing the subpar performance.

Saggy Aggie
12-02-2011, 08:39 AM
Hopefully, A&M will soon realize it's NOT the coaching staff causing the subpar performance.

Then what is? We've got good players. Outscored 76-7 in the 3rd qt of our losses.

What really explains that besides poor coaching and lack of adjustments? Sherman had 18 starters back from his 9-4 cotton bowl team, and managed to go 6-6. I think it was time..

NastySlot
12-02-2011, 08:50 AM

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Sherman-out-when-he-shouldn-t-have-been-in-2339445.php

surely your thinking/talking about this kind of stuff right?

sinton66
12-02-2011, 08:53 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/article/Sherman-out-when-he-shouldn-t-have-been-in-2339445.php

surely your thinking about this kind of stuff right?

No. It wouldn't have mattered who the coach was. It's the A&M system MINDSET that has kept them from being successful.

rancher
12-02-2011, 08:57 AM
The game Saturday between UofH and Southern Miss, should be called the AGGIE BOWL with the winning coach taking all the money A&M has to offer. Will it be the Larry and Lee show next year or the Kevin Sumlin Circus??

MGAR
12-02-2011, 08:58 AM
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/booyahhh27/387515_10150426561549264_564639263_8108173_1720955 664_n.jpg

NastySlot
12-02-2011, 08:59 AM
No. It wouldn't have mattered who the coach was. It's the A&M system MINDSET that has kept them from being successful.

what?

Saggy Aggie
12-02-2011, 09:01 AM
http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad188/booyahhh27/387515_10150426561549264_564639263_8108173_1720955 664_n.jpg lol
i couldnt help but laugh.

We're in trouble...

StangEm
12-02-2011, 09:46 AM
Art Briles??

BEAST

That's what I was thinking when I hear it announced last night!! What better pick would there be for this job right now?? I just wish Urban Mayer wasn't going to the Big 10. I could see him taking a program like A&M and doing some good given the current situation.

StangEm
12-02-2011, 09:54 AM
lol
i couldnt help but laugh.

We're in trouble...

God help us....

ExScoop
12-02-2011, 10:17 AM
I didn't realize that Sherman was only 56 years old, thought he was older. Well a year older than me

The loss to Texas drove the nail in the coffine. Like ESPN announcers were saying during the UT&A&M broadcast-the Aggies easily could have only one loss.

This losing season wasn't all Sherman's fault. It's the players who made the mistakes like fumbling the balll.

Guess Sherman's play calling had some to do with it.

Don't know if Sumlin can get the job done. He had quarter back Kasey Kanum who should win the heisman. He also had a lot of depth at running back and receivers positions. The Cougars won't enjoy every season like they have this one.

Aggies need a coach that is an all around peson who knows offense and defense--

I did noticed in some games. Sherman was on the sidlines and seem like he had no Idea what was going on and couldn't make the right decisions.

The Aggies had the talent. It just couldn't be utlilized. I believe some of his assitant coaches didn't help his cause .

Whoever gets the job, will have a lot of pressure for the Aggies to win big

Macarthur
12-02-2011, 11:35 AM
The more I've thought about it, the more I think Sumlin is the right hire. I was initially on board with Smart, but I'm worried about him not having HC experience and I also wonder how much Saban really runs that defense.

I think one thing is so critical and that's recruiting. Sumlin, by all accounts, is a fantastic recruiter. You also wonder if being African American would give him a bit of an advantage with some recruits.

Bullaholic
12-02-2011, 12:00 PM
I just hope the Ags can get a HC that their fans, players, and the rest of the college football world alike can get excited about---there's still Urban Meyer types left out there somewhere...

Phil C
12-02-2011, 12:01 PM
The Aggies have fired (or coaches saw writing on the wall and resigned) every head coach they have had since Coach Bryant left for Alabama in 1957. That is a span of over 50 years and not too encouraging.

sinton66
12-02-2011, 01:37 PM
what?

When you have a system that is totally focused on hatred for and jealousy of UT, it's impossible to divert your energies and concentrate on building a better system.
A&M needs to get past all things UT and concentrate on building a better program. Leaving the Big 12 was the right step. Whether the SEC was the right direction or not remains to be seen. I think UT did A&M a huge favor by not playing the Thanksgiving game anymore. A&M needs to make a complete and clean break.

Daddy D 11
12-02-2011, 01:48 PM
The more I've thought about it, the more I think Sumlin is the right hire. I was initially on board with Smart, but I'm worried about him not having HC experience and I also wonder how much Saban really runs that defense.

I think one thing is so critical and that's recruiting. Sumlin, by all accounts, is a fantastic recruiter. You also wonder if being African American would give him a bit of an advantage with some recruits.

Hiring Sumlin would fail to open up any other recruiting advantages outside of Texas.

How can you ask a coach with only Texas ties to now recruit against old rivals (UT,OU,OSU,TT,BU) and new ones (Arky,LSU,Bama,Auburn,UF,USC,GA)???

This is what I tried to tell aggie fans during the whole process of wanting to go to the SEC.... How can you expect to be successful while you are still being out recruited by your old rivals while also getting beaten on the field and on the recruiting trail by your new ones? Going to SEC lost traction within the state while gaining zero traction out of the state, it was a lose-lose situation, there is no winning.

GOT TO get a coach with ties in your new conference that can also recruit Texas. Anything less will keep you in mediocrity like yall have been the past for-ever.

1st and goal
12-02-2011, 01:57 PM
There's plenty of talent in Texas to put numerous teams in title contention. Not saying we can turn our nose at out of state blue chippers, but I think Sumlin can recruit from just about anywhere.

Daddy D 11
12-02-2011, 02:03 PM
And can I ask what on gods green earth leads you to believe that?

No coach A&M has EVER had has been able to out recruit and beat OU and Texas on a regular basis.
So as an Aggie fan, you're essentially saying "we think we can be out-recruited within our own state every year and still win championships in a league where we will also fail to out-recruit any of our opponents."

That makes sense to you?

Daddy D 11
12-02-2011, 02:04 PM
There's plenty of talent in Texas to put numerous teams in title contention.

If this was realistically the case, then explain why Texas A&M hasn't won a conference championship in ages and went .500 in the big 12 during it's time in the conference.

Daddy D 11
12-02-2011, 02:07 PM
All I'm trying to do is open Aggies fans' eyes up to what's going on. Been trying to do it for months now and I can't tell you the amount of Aggie fans of all ages who have told me recently "dang dan, you were right".

No team in the country that wins like the Ags think they should is out-recruited annually in it's own backyard. Now...throw in your new conference and the recruiting dilemmas that that presents against those institutions and programs and you're looking at serious problems.

Saggy Aggie
12-02-2011, 02:08 PM
If this was realistically the case, then explain why Texas A&M hasn't won a conference championship in ages and went .500 in the big 12 during it's time in the conference.Talent isn't the problem.

Underachieving talent is.

NastySlot
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM

No coach A&M has EVER had has been able to out recruit and beat OU and Texas on a regular basis.
So as an Aggie fan, you're essentially saying "we think we can be out-recruited within our own state every year and still win championships in a league where we will also fail to out-recruit any of our opponents."

That makes sense to you?

you re pretty young aren't you.....now don't forget that Jackie Sherrill did well for a while and RC carried it over....it wasn't until the Horns hired Brown that the advantage shifted back to the horns......Brown was the master of getting Jr's to commit early.

Now when thinking about recruiting don't look before around 1974 or 75...think that around the time limits were first put in place..............the problem isn't losing too many to the horns anymore it's losing them as you know....cause of the Texas schools are to OSU now.

you do know that before Stoops was hired at OU they were pretty bad right?

NastySlot
12-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Talent isn't the problem.

I agree with this post.

NastySlot
12-02-2011, 02:12 PM
All I'm trying to do is open Aggies fans' eyes up to what's going on. Been trying to do it for months now and I can't tell you the amount of Aggie fans of all ages who have told me recently "dang dan, you were right".

No team in the country that wins like the Ags think they should is out-recruited annually in it's own backyard. Now...throw in your new conference and the recruiting dilemmas that that presents against those institutions and programs and you're looking at serious problems.

your name is Dan? I didn't know that.

1st and goal
12-02-2011, 02:14 PM
Your not getting my point, I'm not talking specifically about A&M. My point is, just look at the rosters of "Out of State" teams. So many are loaded with Texas talent. I hate to see our talent leave to play. The subject of recruiting can't be looked at in the rearview mirror. This coaching change, while drastic, has many different viewpoints. I feel for the players. Hope that they can stay focused. I know the road ahead is uphill and bumpy.

Daddy D 11
12-02-2011, 02:22 PM
Talent isn't the problem.

LMAO, and why do you think your talent underachieves?? Because it isn't the best talent. That kind of talent had already gone else where when you signed the "underachieving talent" that's on your roster.

Daddy D 11
12-02-2011, 02:23 PM
yes i know those things :)

and yes, my name is daniel lol is that of any significance to you?

Daddy D 11
12-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Your not getting my point, I'm not talking specifically about A&M. My point is, just look at the rosters of "Out of State" teams. So many are loaded with Texas talent. I hate to see our talent leave to play. The subject of recruiting can't be looked at in the rearview mirror. This coaching change, while drastic, has many different viewpoints. I feel for the players. Hope that they can stay focused. I know the road ahead is uphill and bumpy.

Alrighty, let's look at it through the wind shield then... Point me to a coach that in your mind next year can recruit texas better than sherman would have AND can out recruit the Big 12 schools while also recruiting well against your SEC schools.

Because in order to win like the Aggie fan base things they deserve, you're gonna have to find a person that can do those things right now. Otherwise, y'all will just fire him again in 3-4 years and be right back where you are now.

Also...looks like your AD is about to get canned too. Gotta get a new one of those as well.

Macarthur
12-02-2011, 02:52 PM

That makes sense to you?

Well, first of all, before we address any of your points, you need to brush up on your history. You know, the history of football in the state of Texas did not just start when Mac Brown came to town. As one poster has already informed you, Guys by the name Jackie Sherrell and RC Slocum absolutely OWNED Texas for more than a decade. UT always got great recruits because there's just so many in this state, but they far from dominated. And, you also need to realize that even with UT's win last week, A&M actually holds the advantage over UT in the last 25 years. Many folks view of this thing is very jaded based on the success UT has had the last decade or so. It hasn't always been that way.

And going back to the recruiting point, it's really a chicken and egg situation. You could argue that A&M had recruited at least as well as OU and UT based on the fact that in the last 6 games, UT has won 3 and A&M has won 3. Last year A&M beat OU. The recruiting thing can't be judged simply based on the rankings in February (I know most UT fans would like for the MNC to be awarded in February). It's a combination of the caliber of recruits and the results on the field.

Bottom line, A&M will recruit just fine going to the SEC. I frankly find that argument silly.

Macarthur
12-02-2011, 02:56 PM
Alrighty, let's look at it through the wind shield then... Point me to a coach that in your mind next year can recruit texas better than sherman would have AND can out recruit the Big 12 schools while also recruiting well against your SEC schools.

No one ever out recruits UT. That's not the point. You are putting too much emphasis on recruiting rankings.

Because in order to win like the Aggie fan base things they deserve, you're gonna have to find a person that can do those things right now. Otherwise, y'all will just fire him again in 3-4 years and be right back where you are now.

If you don't think a young hot coach like a Sumlin or Charlie Strong would not excite some 18 year old kids, you don't know much about those guys.

And the Aggies might make a mistake with this hire, but just because you might make a mistake doesn't mean you should do nothing. Sherman was not the right guy from the start. Going 6-6 with that level of talent is unacceptable. And you saying 'aggies think they deserve' is a loaded statement and shows your own bias. You are pretending to be some bastion of objectivity, but your comments and tone are as transparent as they can be.

NastySlot
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
yes i know those things :)

and yes, my name is daniel lol is that of any significance to you?

significance....nah...just kinda nice to know.

icu812
12-02-2011, 03:52 PM
I'm no Aggie but IMO Macarthur has the correct view on this.

NastySlot
12-02-2011, 04:07 PM
I'm no Aggie but IMO Macarthur has the correct view on this.

Mac's....post are usually some of the most insightful (regardless of the topic) and unbiased on here.....I enjoy his post.

Macarthur
12-02-2011, 04:11 PM
Much appreciated and for the record, I'm not an Aggie. I'm in the camp that thinks this move the SEC is actually really good for them. Most of the arguments I've read against it are really short sighted. The worst is that they are going to be cellar dwelers and get killed. Well, they might initially but no team is ever good all the time and for the most part, everyone has a period of time when they rise up and are good. Anyone imagine 5 years ago that Florida would struggle like they are now? Anyone remember how Alabama was terrible about 5 or 6 years ago?

Macarthur
12-02-2011, 04:13 PM
And I've been reading and hearing that Charlie Strong is a real player in this.

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2011, 04:33 PM
And I've been reading and hearing that Charlie Strong is a real player in this.

IMO would be TERRIBLE move..he has under whelmed big time at UL

exbull
12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Too bad Mike Leach is not still available. If you could get him hired, and a good Defensive Cordinator, it would be fun to watch against the SEC defenses. I know the higher ups at ATM would never have hired him, but it sure would have been fun to watch.

jlwttu
12-02-2011, 05:57 PM
$Bill on the way out as well?

http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2011/12/byrnes-dismissal-might-come-soon/

Txbroadcaster
12-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Mac's....post are usually some of the most insightful (regardless of the topic) and unbiased on here.....I enjoy his post.

Mac and you are two I enjoy debating and bantering with. We all respect each other's view( even though I am always right and your wrong LOL) and we provide actual facts and insights.

Papá Oso
12-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Kirby Smart would be my first choice. I think they need a defensive coach and he's the best available IMO. He has already been recruiting the SEC region for years and has ties all away back to when he played for UGa. From what I've seen and heard of him I believe he could he could walk into a lot of living rooms and get some defensive athletes that we have been missing out on. Hard to argue with the success that his defense has produced all the while turning over to new players almost every year. Hopefully the Wrecking Crew can rise again.

PO

NastySlot
12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
Mac and you are two I enjoy debating and bantering with. We all respect each other's view( even though I am always right and your wrong LOL) and we provide actual facts and insights.

for sure....didn't mean to leave you out at all I really value your insight also.

Maroon87
12-02-2011, 06:44 PM
$Bill on the way out as well?

http://blog.chron.com/aggies/2011/12/byrnes-dismissal-might-come-soon/

Kinda fitting that the TexAgs-posting associate AD is named Toole.

XMan
12-02-2011, 08:18 PM
Sadly, I cant see the Aggies ever hiring someone who is not very white. Im thinking they should just go with Rick Perry, he was a cheerleader and all.

1st and goal
12-02-2011, 09:04 PM
Good posts Mac.

Its all ambiguous crystal ball stuff with coaches and schools pulling out all the stops on recruiting. Sometimes within the rules, sometimes bending them into a pretzel. Recruits picking winning programs that they feel will do well and many who pick schools that they will make a difference quickly (getting to start). I don't follow recruiting that closely because I just don't have the time.

I totally respected Sherman's program. Many of his players give him the utmost respect calling him a "2nd father". Yes, I griped at some of his play calling but what fan doesn't with the aid of hindsight 20/20. Of the losses, I would say each had it's own story for giving up the lead, but fumbles and interceptions caused the majority of the O's issues. The D had too many lingering injuries in the secondary to put up a game length formidable fight.

I just love the posters who try to throw in 2 cents but come up a penny short.

Daddy D 11
12-02-2011, 11:42 PM
Look at the winning percentages of the other programs in the conference and ask yourself who has recruited better, don't just look at a 6 game sample. You're smarter than that.

Let's talk bigger picture, as in the past twenty years A&M has 2 bowl wins and 1 conference championship.

I guess what I'm trying to get across is two things: I fail to see why Sherman "underachieved" when all he did was do what any coach before him has done. A&M historically in the big 12 has been a .500% team, so i just cant see why the fanbase is so damn impatient? The fanbase acts as if they're Notre damn Dame and not being on top is unacceptable when quite frankly they have NEVER EVER BEEN ON TOP, EVER. Texas A&M has never proven that it's possible for them to be at the top of college football, yet their entire fanbase DEMANDS nothing less.
My other point is just that if you will never out recruit or dominate your own state, how the hell do you expect to dominate on the football field?
As you said, "im putting too much into recruiting rankings", if you look at the classes each year and then the wins and losses..the teams that are near the top every damn year have pretty much been the real successful schools over the past decade or two. So to say that "we can be fine, and not get the best talent but compete against the best" is stupid in my opinion.
I'm a firm believer that until you can out recruit the other schools, you will NEVER have year in and year out success. You might pull a mike leach and win double digit games ONE TIME, but that isn't what college station wants... college station wants top 10 finishes annually...and to do that you HAVE TO WIN RECRUITING BATTLES EVERY YEAR.
The situation the Aggies have put themselves in makes that success so much harder.

Tin Cup
12-02-2011, 11:57 PM
I agree with every thing daddy d just said. A&M has self proclaimed themselves as a top program. They are only legendary in their own minds. It's a rabid fanbase that wants to win and thinks they are great but reality tells us otherwise every single year. The SEC will be a major nail in the coffin.

OldBison75
12-03-2011, 12:06 AM
All I can say is this--any school or college that does not aspire for their team to be a top team should not have a team. I am not the king of TAMU fans, even though my daughter goes there. But, TAMU has recruited very well the last four years and arguably had some of the best talent in the Big 12 this year. You don't build big leads against good teams without the talent. The problem seemed to be the ability of the coaching staff to adjust when the tide started turning. Yes, a great player should not have to be motivated in that situation, but there are times that the system you play in has a lot of influence on how you play.

I think the hooplah over the conference move had a big effect on this year's team. They were under a microscope all year and when the move finally became final, they started to lose concentration on the games they were playing. There was so much going on during that time that many don't even realize. There was a lot of Aggie alums and current students that were against the move and the players were put in the position of having to constantly defend the decision and support the administration. I think that they were so emotionally twisted by the Arkansas game week that they were not mentally prepared most of the rest of the season.

I will say that without the move and surrounding circus, this year's Aggies personnel were better than most teams in the Big 12 and were only rivaled by Oklahoma and Oklahoma State. Texas was not the best team personnel wise, but, they got the job done when they had to in the Thanksgiving Day game.

Sherman is not the whole problem. It goes much deeper that that.

Tin Cup
12-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Tannehill could have made the coaching staff look a lot better. He choked in every big game this year. Blame Sherman for that too I guess.

navscanmaster
12-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Thanks, OldBison75. D11, who is a Baylor student (should be a jr. or sr. this year, IIRC) is unfortunately showing the Baylor bias against A&M in this argument. Unfortunate, because I have always thought he made intelligent posts on the downlow. D11, you have to know that in the last 40 years, A&M has been a winning program. The last decade has been frustrating because the Ags have sunk into a mediocre-decent football type lull. The late 70's, 80's and 90's were great years for Aggie football fans. The bowl game debacles notwithstanding, it has led Aggie fans to EXPECT to win. I am sorry that this is going to come off as an insult, but teams like Baylor have not had that expectation. RGIII and that offense have given them some hope and an expectation to beat average opponents, but if I were a Baylor alum, I would have been in shock and awe of the wins over OU and Texas the last two years. I don't get that feeling as an Aggie fan when A&M beats a good team.

navscanmaster
12-03-2011, 07:10 PM
Tannehill could have made the coaching staff look a lot better. He choked in every big game this year. Blame Sherman for that too I guess.

Agreed, but his receivers have dropped a LOT of passes this year, and a future NFL'er Jeff Fuller is the biggest disappointment this year.

Daddy D 11
12-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Thanks, OldBison75. D11, who is a Baylor student (should be a jr. or sr. this year, IIRC) is unfortunately showing the Baylor bias against A&M in this argument. Unfortunate, because I have always thought he made intelligent posts on the downlow. D11, you have to know that in the last 40 years, A&M has been a winning program. The last decade has been frustrating because the Ags have sunk into a mediocre-decent football type lull. The late 70's, 80's and 90's were great years for Aggie football fans. The bowl game debacles notwithstanding, it has led Aggie fans to EXPECT to win. I am sorry that this is going to come off as an insult, but teams like Baylor have not had that expectation. RGIII and that offense have given them some hope and an expectation to beat average opponents, but if I were a Baylor alum, I would have been in shock and awe of the wins over OU and Texas the last two years. I don't get that feeling as an Aggie fan when A&M beats a good team.

Lol, so because i go to baylor...what i'm saying isn't right????

Nice logic there. My post are incredibly intelligent, YOUR biased attitude is what's hiding it from you. This isn't a rivalry thing, I understand where Baylor stands in the spectrum of things, even in relation to A&M.
Problem is I'm just saying things that you do not want to hear, so suddenly they are wrong. And the Baylor jabs come out.

If A&M is/was a great team/program, they wouldn't have a FIVE HUNDRED winning percentage in big 12 play.

This is similar to the LH/Navasota game, for an entire week i said things you simply did not want to hear.. so "i was wrong". Until kickoff and then all the sudden you had seen the light and i was a genius.

Daddy D 11
12-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Please point to where I am wrong in my argument. It's easy to say "oh you go to baylor, so your wrong".

But read what i said, dissect it, and prove me wrong. Then I'll respect your opinion.

navscanmaster
12-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Please point to where I am wrong in my argument. It's easy to say "oh you go to baylor, so your wrong".

But read what i said, dissect it, and prove me wrong. Then I'll respect your opinion.
I do not spend enough time on here to go back and quote you and individually dissect your statements and try to out-intellect you. I wouldn't do it with the time either, because I do not feel it necessary. I am firm in my opinion that Aggie fans have the right to expect more from the program. I laid out the reasons already for you.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 12:42 AM
I guess that's where we differ, I tend to look at numbers, percentages, records, wins, etc. You just base yours on opinion.

hookandladder
12-04-2011, 09:02 AM
After reading the article in the Statesman yesterday about A&M and Sherman , I feel Sherman is a man of character and a class act and deserves better then A&M. It still amazes me that A&M main focus and goal is to beat Texas and try to be better then them in every sport, focus on the bigger picture a National Championship. I just do not get all this Saw em off or songs degrading Texas, your campus, fan base and the setting of College Station is what they need to be pushing. Coming from a small town when you visit College Station most recruits and students have to love that atmoshere , so sell that experience and you will become winners. If this cannot happen then I guess I just do not know what it takes to be an Aggie.

1st and goal
12-04-2011, 09:19 AM
My post are incredibly intelligent, Problem is I'm just saying things that you do not want to hear, so suddenly they are wrong........ Until kickoff and then all the sudden you had seen the light and i was a genius.

This might be the understatement of the year, but do I detect a hint of a condescending narcissist???

navscanmaster
12-04-2011, 10:45 AM
I guess that's where we differ, I tend to look at numbers, percentages, records, wins, etc. You just base yours on opinion.
Wrong. I know the winning percentages. I watched the games. I remember the good years and was born in an era when Texas A&M was the top football program in the state. Lets look at the scholarship limitation era, which is generally the last 40 years. That pretty much coincides with Emory Bellard's replacement of Gene Stallings as head coach in 1972. So we will go with the record since then. Now I have already said that A&M's bowl record is abysmal, so we are in agreement there. Since Bellard's arrival, A&M has gone 297 and 178, with three ties. That is a .63 winning percentage, which in a 12 game season roughly translates to 8-4. Mike Sherman went 25 and 25 in his time here, and could not beat OSU or KSU, and only managed one win against UT, OU, and Nebraska. Great guy and great program builder, but not a winner at the collegiate level. So if we as a fan base have grown up with a winning program, why would we want to sit back and just accept our destiny with a .500 coach that has had time to completely build and mold his roster and scheme? That is where my opinion and yours comes in. I believe that the above information is more than enough for the average Aggie fan to expect to win, and you don't.

navscanmaster
12-04-2011, 11:00 AM
This is similar to the LH/Navasota game, for an entire week i said things you simply did not want to hear.. so "i was wrong". Until kickoff and then all the sudden you had seen the light and i was a genius.

Good Lord, bringing up LH/Navasota from 2007 is a little of a stretch, don't you think? Comparing confidence in one's high school football team to a negative assessment of the psyche of a million strong fanbase is a reach.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Just using it to prove the point that simply because YOU do not want to hear something what I'm saying has been labeled wrong. LOL

1ST AND GOAL....you copy pasted all that and mismatched it to make that sentence. Grow up.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 02:10 PM
The Ags also have a 52.8 winning percentage all time in big 12 play.
They also have a losing record verse the power conference since the Big 12's inception (ACC, B1G, BIG12, PAC, SEC).
ALL TIME as a Division I football program, IN ANY TYPE OF CONFERENCE AFFILIATION whether it be SWC, Big 12, whatever, the Aggies have a 55.55 winning percentage.

navscanmaster
12-04-2011, 02:56 PM
The Ags also have a 52.8 winning percentage all time in big 12 play.
They also have a losing record verse the power conference since the Big 12's inception (ACC, B1G, BIG12, PAC, SEC).
ALL TIME as a Division I football program, IN ANY TYPE OF CONFERENCE AFFILIATION whether it be SWC, Big 12, whatever, the Aggies have a 55.55 winning percentage.

Sure do. There were A LOT of bad years pre-70s. But most of us have grown up knowing a better Aggie program. The Big XII years have seen the decline of a great coach in R.C. Slocum and two bad hires in Franchione and Sherman. A .500 Big XII conference record happens when the coaching and leadership are mediocre. Doesn't matter in my opinion. I am also a Cowboys fan, and we haven't won a championship since 1995. But those three Super Bowl wins in the 90's and 8 total appearances keep us hungry.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 06:38 PM
Cowboys have actually been on top (as you said, 3 super bowls in the 90s) in the past. Aggies never have. That's my point!

Buff42
12-04-2011, 07:05 PM
Wow, enough already. I generally try to be a fan of my teams without disrespecting opponents. However, some of you make it impossible to contain my good nature.

Yes, I'm a faithful Aggie, win, lose, or draw- for a lot of reasons you will never want to or be able to understand. I attended A&M when we completely, totally, and utterly dominated the longhorns (and dominated Baylor and Tech on a regular basis by insane margins). We dominated this era and contended for national championships, so you better believe I expect to win and succeed. It's a mind set.

I have this expectation to win and to beat the 'horns because I want my team to be the best it can be. I view the Aggies as underdogs by virtue of a much smaller fan base, receiving a fraction of the revenue that tu gets from the State treasury (are you aware that 50 or so years ago the state government stacked the deck against A&M and other state university systems like Tech by giving the lion's share of oil and gas revenue to tu?), and most recently the espn sponsored "Longhorn Network.". It's kind od a David and Goliath thing in my mind.

Anyway, I'm a fan of my team no matter what. He'll, I'm a fan of my school no matter what. I HATE what Gates did to the culture and identity of A&M, but I'm still proud of our military, civic, and industry leadership that are unrivaled by any other school in the country.

I try not to disrespect other's team of their choosing, but, damn, some of you make it hard to maintain my dignity. When I go to WalMart and see some of the people wearing orange tshirts, I wonder if they can spell "university", much less gain admission to one. Even though a lot of times, those are the same people who spew the most venom and hate toward my alma mater, I have to remind myself they are fans and are entitled to root for any team they choose. But enough is enough with hating on my school.

You see, I remember whipping the horns butts year in and year out. At Kyle Field or Austin- made no difference. I know even further back that we schooled the Southwest conference pretty good. Even in the dark days between Bear and Sherrill, a Giddings boy lead my Ags to a huge defeat of the horns that knocked them out of the national championship hunt (educate yourself by looking that one up). The point is, these things are cyclical.

It's easy right now to diss on our coach, our players, our alums, and our "unreasonable" expectations. Some of you may be too young to remember that before Vince Young saved Mack Brown's job (research THAT while you're at it), that Fred Akers was one of a long line of coaches who had the orange bloods up in arms. So enjoy it now, because, like my old daddy used to say, the worm will turn.

In the mean time, I suggest positively supporting your team and leaving my team the he'll alone. Thanks and Gig Em.

OldBison75
12-04-2011, 07:08 PM
Daddy D, there was nobody that gave more props to LH in 2007 than Navscanmaster and I after the butt whippin we took. Yes, we were overconfident in the Rattlers and made some very bold statements. We ate them all. And, we never said you were wrong about LH and Navasota, we just disagreed about how good we thought each team was that year. Navscanmaster is an Aggie fan with a little sister that is a current student there. I respect his feelings on this subject, and, even though I sometimes disagree with him about the Aggies, this time he is right. The Aggies have more talent on the roster this year than most teams in the Big 12 and nation. There is no excuse for most of the losses except that performance was not carried out. You have to agree that jumping to leads against most of the teams they lost to shows that the talent is there to compete at a top level. So, where is the failure to carry that momentum to the end gonna be blamed. I said earlier, coaching failed, players failed, and the systems failed. A college program does not have the luxury of firing players, and the system will never admit they failed, but they have the power and pressure to fix the problem. Therefore the coach takes the hit.

As for the Aggie attitude, I wish the fan base of every college in Texas was as adamant about winning as the Aggie fans are. Alot of shots have been taken on the fight song, bonfire, and other traditions that are part of the Thanksgiving game against Texas. Every college has similar traditions. What other school has midnight yell practice on the night before a home game and two nights before an away game every week. 25-40,000 fans will attend almost every week. Win, lose, or tie, the Aggie fan base will keep coming to the games and be one of the loudest crowds you will ever hear. Yes, they make a big deal outta beating Texas, but they know that to be considered an elite team, they must be a traditional elite team regularly. In the old conference format, that team was Texas most years.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 07:18 PM
Wow, enough already. I generally try to be a fan of my teams without disrespecting opponents. However, some of you make it impossible to contain my good nature.

Yes, I'm a faithful Aggie, win, lose, or draw- for a lot of reasons you will never want to or be able to understand. I attended A&M when we completely, totally, and utterly dominated the longhorns (and dominated Baylor and Tech on a regular basis by insane margins). We dominated this era and contended for national championships, so you better believe I expect to win and succeed. It's a mind set.

I have this expectation to win and to beat the 'horns because I want my team to be the best it can be. I view the Aggies as underdogs by virtue of a much smaller fan base, receiving a fraction of the revenue that tu gets from the State treasury (are you aware that 50 or so years ago the state government stacked the deck against A&M and other state university systems like Tech by giving the lion's share of oil and gas revenue to tu?), and most recently the espn sponsored "Longhorn Network.". It's kind od a David and Goliath thing in my mind.

Anyway, I'm a fan of my team no matter what. He'll, I'm a fan of my school no matter what. I HATE what Gates did to the culture and identity of A&M, but I'm still proud of our military, civic, and industry leadership that are unrivaled by any other school in the country.

I try not to disrespect other's team of their choosing, but, damn, some of you make it hard to maintain my dignity. When I go to WalMart and see some of the people wearing orange tshirts, I wonder if they can spell "university", much less gain admission to one. Even though a lot of times, those are the same people who spew the most venom and hate toward my alma mater, I have to remind myself they are fans and are entitled to root for any team they choose. But enough is enough with hating on my school.

You see, I remember whipping the horns butts year in and year out. At Kyle Field or Austin- made no difference. I know even further back that we schooled the Southwest conference pretty good. Even in the dark days between Bear and Sherrill, a Giddings boy lead my Ags to a huge defeat of the horns that knocked them out of the national championship hunt (educate yourself by looking that one up). The point is, these things are cyclical.

It's easy right now to diss on our coach, our players, our alums, and our "unreasonable" expectations. Some of you may be too young to remember that before Vince Young saved Mack Brown's job (research THAT while you're at it), that Fred Akers was one of a long line of coaches who had the orange bloods up in arms. So enjoy it now, because, like my old daddy used to say, the worm will turn.

In the mean time, I suggest positively supporting your team and leaving my team the he'll alone. Thanks and Gig Em.

This isn't a Ut-A&M pissing match, I understand it must be hard for you to refrain from doing so, but still, it's not.
If there were ever actually truly dominate days... Aggies wouldn't have a .500 winning percentage. It's that simple. Can't argue with the facts.

I am not talking rivalries here. Not talking small picture. Not talking one coaches era. Not talking anything else but victories. Truth be told (historically) the Ags win about as many as they lose. Gentleman, the numbers don't lie.

Also how can you say the talent is there when every Aggie fan bashes the talent for underachieving?? Is 'achieving' not a very important aspect of talent? So frequently i hear, "talent isn't the problem, our underachieving talent is the problem." IF YOUR TALENT IS UNDERACHIEVING IT MEANS YOUR TALENT IS THE PROBLEM. IF YOUR TALENT IS UNDERACHIEVING FOR DECADES, IT PROBABLY MEANS THE TRULY GREAT TALENT IS GOIGN ELSEWHERE BECAUSE ELSEWHERE IS WHERE THE WINNING IS GOING ON.

Buff42
12-04-2011, 07:44 PM
DDI, you are almost incomprehensible. But you have played right into my hand and, thus, lost the debate.

I will concede your point regarding talent to make this point: if talent is the only key to success and winning percentages, then tu should by undefeated national champs annually. They get the most blue chip recruits, the most money, the most fans, the most exposure, so, by logical application of your logic, there is no reason they should be "just happy to make a bowl" as someone else said in another thread. If we (or Tech or Baylor for that matter) got those same advantages or even an even playing field with tu, the results would be much better. We have been competitive with less forever (that's conceding your "Big Picture" point). And, to make a converse argument, how do you explain TCU doing better than tu with less talent? Whatever your answer to that question is doesn't matter, because the follow up question is why can't your Baylor Bears do as well as TCU (after all, your demographics- small, elite, rich boy, Christian schools- are practically identical)? And, if this isn't a tu- A&M pissing match as you claim (even though your statements show different), then allow me to ask what your Bears life long football winning percentage is?

I'm going to take your talent theory one step further. I think everyone agrees there is very little distance from top to bottom in terms of NFL talent. How do you explain the Detroit Lions or Carolina Panthers then? Why do they consistently stink and orgqnizations like the Cowboys and Packers consistently excel? Or to narrow it down further, everyone thought the Cowboys were loaded with talent lastnyear and they stank- there are so many intangibles that come with winning. Otherwise, owners would just buy the way to championships.

Winning, and winning percentage, is a multi faceted dilemma and your persistent attempts to degrade the level of
Aggie talent is crap at best. Your comments are inflammatory and derogatory and prevent me from having any
respect for you as a person. Your one sided, immature, condescending comments make me question my continued involvement with this board.

hsbtex
12-04-2011, 07:57 PM
Buff42...that is one of the best posts I have ever read on here. Good points!

Buff42
12-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Buff42...that is one of the best posts I have ever read on here. Good points!

:blush:

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 08:25 PM
DDI, you are almost incomprehensible. But you have played right into my hand and, thus, lost the debate.

I will concede your point regarding talent to make this point: if talent is the only key to success and winning percentages, then tu should by undefeated national champs annually. They get the most blue chip recruits, the most money, the most fans, the most exposure, so, by logical application of your logic, there is no reason they should be "just happy to make a bowl" as someone else said in another thread. If we (or Tech or Baylor for that matter) got those same advantages or even an even playing field with tu, the results would be much better. We have been competitive with less forever (that's conceding your "Big Picture" point). And, to make a converse argument, how do you explain TCU doing better than tu with less talent? Whatever your answer to that question is doesn't matter, because the follow up question is why can't your Baylor Bears do as well as TCU (after all, your demographics- small, elite, rich boy, Christian schools- are practically identical)? And, if this isn't a tu- A&M pissing match as you claim (even though your statements show different), then allow me to ask what your Bears life long football winning percentage is?

I'm going to take your talent theory one step further. I think everyone agrees there is very little distance from top to bottom in terms of NFL talent. How do you explain the Detroit Lions or Carolina Panthers then? Why do they consistently stink and orgqnizations like the Cowboys and Packers consistently excel? Or to narrow it down further, everyone thought the Cowboys were loaded with talent lastnyear and they stank- there are so many intangibles that come with winning. Otherwise, owners would just buy the way to championships.

Winning, and winning percentage, is a multi faceted dilemma and your persistent attempts to degrade the level of
Aggie talent is crap at best. Your comments are inflammatory and derogatory and prevent me from having any
respect for you as a person. Your one sided, immature, condescending comments make me question my continued involvement with this board.

This post doesn't even make sense. LOL.
If anything, your NFL references strengthen my point. SOME TEAMS HAVE JUST ALWAYS BEEN BETTER, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. THE AGGIES HAVE NEVER BEEN ELITE, ONE WAY OR ANOTHER. That has been my whole point.

Notice when i said "big picture" i was taking note of your "multifaceted dilemma".

It's funny, I throw around FACTUAL winning percentages and all the sudden I'm condescending?

navscanmaster
12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
At this point, I think D11 is either just stirring the pot (see signature) or really fallen victim to a horrible anti-Texas A&M bias. I'll leave you with this: I expect the Aggies to field a winning team and think they are long overdue to rise to the top. The fanbase is there. The facilities are there. The talent is there. The University itself has overcome an uneven playing field and managed to completely separate itself from Texas in terms of academics and form a globally recognized, successful identity of its own. Greatness on the football field is within a brainfart or two from coming back, as this year proved.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Bringing any other school into this matter is irrelevant. Whether I went to Baylor, TCU, Texas, OU, anywhere.... TAMU is still a .500 team. Where I received my education doesn't change that. Or make it any better, or any worse.

Understand that my entire argument has been based upon factual information. Not opinion, emotion, alma mater, etc.
I can cite winning percentages, conference winning percentages, conference championships, 10 win seasons, bowl wins, end of season top 25 rankings, annual recruiting rankings, revenue streams, etc. They all provide information for my argument. That's all i have tried to get through to Aggie fans and the replies have been "that just is not true", "but you don't understand", "you are wrong because you went to baylor".

I don't have to be wrong or right...in the end, the wins and losses speak for themselves. Can't change that. But obviously my presentment of the facts can't change your mindset either, so i digress.

Buff42
12-04-2011, 08:37 PM
DI- I asked you three very specific questions in my first response to your diatribe. Your failure to reply indicates your inability to cling to anything but one solitary statistic in this little debate of ours. More like a non-debate really. I'm guessing most on this board agree with my thinking that you're just talking to hear yourself talk.

Go do some research on my questions and come back more enlightened and open minded. Or don't. To be real honest I don't give a sh$t what you do. We're done here and I'm done with your silly ass posts.

If one of you techie types can tell me how to block an individual's posts on this board, please let me know. Thanks and Gig Em.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 08:40 PM
DI- I asked you three very specific questions in my first response to your diatribe. Your failure to reply indicates your inability to cling to anything but one solitary statistic in this little debate of ours. More like a non-debate really. I'm guessing most on this board agree with my thinking that you're just talking to hear yourself talk.

Go do some research on my questions and come back more enlightened and open minded. Or don't. To be real honest I don't give a sh$t what you do. We're done here and I'm done with your silly ass posts.

If one of you techie types can tell me how to block an individual's posts on this board, please let me know. Thanks and Gig Em.

I didn't answer your questions because they literally have NOTHING to do with the conversation at hand.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Go do some research on my questions and come back more enlightened and open minded.

Says the fan who refuses to acknowledge facts about their program.

Buff42
12-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Sheeeeez- I'm a glutton. I can't resist one more debate stopper. But knowing DI's history, sound logic and mature reason won't deter him.

You say bringing any other school into this is irrelevant. Fine. Go root for your school and quit worrying about mine. You invest a lot of your time bashing other schools and inciting people in other threads, judging from your other posts, instead of using your intellect and creative ability to support your own school. I'm writing it off to some sort of envy- you can pick the exact type.

Buff42
12-04-2011, 09:18 PM
To the original poster, sorry your thread got hijacked. I know very little about Larry Fedora. However, his brother Lee is one class act and has created a helluva program at Navasota (a school rife with challenges, no doubt). If it runs in the family, I would guess the Ags could do a lot worse.

Buff42
12-04-2011, 09:20 PM
NOW WE'RE DONE HERE. GO ANTAGONIZE SOMEWHERE ELSE DI.

A good mod would lock this thread. Just saying.

Thanks and Gig Em.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 09:39 PM
Sheeeeez- I'm a glutton. I can't resist one more debate stopper. But knowing DI's history, sound logic and mature reason won't deter him.

You say bringing any other school into this is irrelevant. Fine. Go root for your school and quit worrying about mine. You invest a lot of your time bashing other schools and inciting people in other threads, judging from your other posts, instead of using your intellect and creative ability to support your own school. I'm writing it off to some sort of envy- you can pick the exact type.

Once again, your post makes zero sense.

Bringing any other school into this matter IS irrelevant. But what university i attended is ALSO irrelevant.

Essentially what you are doing is saying:

"Daddy D 11 I want to use other examples with no relevance to the argument."
Then I'm saying "No Buff those things are irrelevant buddy."
Your response is then, "Well if I cant bring irrelevant things into this conversation, since you attended one of those irrelevant things that have no place in this argument.. you cant participate in this conversation and need to go elsewhere!"

Very nice logic there! :clap:

navscanmaster
12-04-2011, 10:12 PM
After looking at all the candidates, I really think Larry Fedora is the hire I would make. Not just because of the Navasota connection, but I honestly think as a total package, Fedora should be the hire. That is assuming Gary Patterson is not in play. That makes me have to think a little longer...

1st and goal
12-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Just using it to prove the point that simply because YOU do not want to hear something what I'm saying has been labeled wrong. LOL

1ST AND GOAL....you copy pasted all that and mismatched it to make that sentence. Grow up.

Now I'm really laughing. Let me give you a word of advice (since that high dollar college doesn't seem to be helping you any), don't go for a ride in the country with a Baylor basketball player.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 10:55 PM
After looking at all the candidates, I really think Larry Fedora is the hire I would make. Not just because of the Navasota connection, but I honestly think as a total package, Fedora should be the hire. That is assuming Gary Patterson is not in play. That makes me have to think a little longer...

I said Fedora is the right man for the job from the start :)
That's where/when I started this whole thing.

"But I don't know what I'm talking about."

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 10:56 PM
Now I'm really laughing. Let me give you a word of advice (since that high dollar college doesn't seem to be helping you any), don't go for a ride in the country with a Baylor basketball player.

And what exactly does that have to do with ANYTHING?

1st and goal
12-04-2011, 11:01 PM
And what exactly does that have to do with ANYTHING?

Just trying to get a laugh.

Daddy D 11
12-04-2011, 11:03 PM
Just trying to get a laugh.

That's cute.

Buff42
12-05-2011, 02:17 PM
D1-

I know you are only vaguely familiar with the terms logic and reason, but let me try this one more time. Jeezum, I can't believe I'm still beating my head against this wall.

First off, I never said you were wrong. I happen to completely and totally disagree with your nonsensical arguments, but I never said you are wrong. I have tried several ways to open your eyes, but you have such a bias against A&M that rational discussion with you is almost impossible. And you counter that by calling me close-minded, etc. Infuriating.

I am painfully aware of what A&M's all time record is along with a lot of other stats. That doesn't mean we don't want A&M to be better, that we don't want to improve, or that we don't want to turn a corner. If we didn't, then every program in the country but the chosen ones in Austin should give up athletics completely. Thankfully, athletics is but one small part of an overall collegiate experience and A&M offers a great overall experience. The desire to improve and excel is human nature. Do you really think Mack Brown is content with his one National Championship or with how his program fared last year? No, he wants to get better. And so should we all.

Now, let me transfer your argument about A&M's inferiority to tu (because that is really what your argument is, even you won't admit it) to another pair of programs involving an A&M university- Oklahoma vs Oklahoma State (you're probably too young to remember that OSU was originally a land grant Agriculture and Mechanical College). The parallel for this comparison is almost perfect- OU is bigger, wealthier, more prominent, and far better in terms of recruiting (talent); OSU is an almost perfect 500 program (523-522-40 all time record). Throughout the first 100 year history of that in state rivalry, OU dominated with a record of 76-17-7. If I apply the logic you have regurgitated here to OU/OSU, then OSU should not expect to be in contention for a National Championship this year. They should not have the audacity of hope (yeah- I went THERE) to want to beat the "big brother" school. They shouldn't find themselves one plane crash out of the BCS title game this year. According to your logic, they should be all too happy to sit back and watch OU win year in and year out and never want better because they are traditionally a 500 team and don't deserve better. BULL CRAP.

You see, there is always a disparity between the have and have nots. In this case, it's the bigger, richer, prefered school over the after-thought, little brother, something to prove school. David vs. Goliath.

Now, I expect you to come back and say this is irrelevant because you didn't bring it up and I shouldn't have either and I'm out of line for daring to compare the two teams, and how you are the smartest guy in the world because you have more time on your hands than I do to do research with which to hijack threads and disrespect others by making completely off-topic remarks. Your doing so will be kind of like when kids don't get their way and stomp their feet and hold their breath. Doesn't make things go their way, it just shows their immaturity.

So, with all that said, I really do think it's time for you to either start studying for finals or to compose productive, positive posts on this board. Otherwise you really have nothing of significance to offer, do you?

1st and goal
12-05-2011, 08:14 PM
Excellent post Buff42.

HEMOTOXIC
12-05-2011, 11:05 PM
http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Sumlin-Fedora-on-Aggies-coaching-wish-list-2347019.php#photo-1855815

Sumlin, Fedora on Aggies' coaching wish list

COLLEGE STATION – Texas A&M athletic director Bill Byrne posted on his Twitter Monday night that he was "having dinner with Bob and Becky Gates" in New York City. Bob Gates, a former defense secretary and A&M president, received the Gold Medal Award from the National Football Foundation, Byrne informed his followers.

That's a neat deal, but Byrne would've upped his Twitter following with more relevant news to the Aggie faithful: Whom exactly did he interview in New York for the Aggies' football gig?

A person with knowledge of the situation said Houston coach Kevin Sumlin and Southern Mississippi coach Larry Fedora spoke with A&M in the Big Apple about taking over for Mike Sherman, fired Thursday for a 25-25 record over four seasons.

Sumlin, a one-time A&M offensive coordinator, has been rumored a strong candidate from the start while Fedora, a College Station native whose Southern Miss squad beat UH in Saturday's Conference USA title game, has apparently gained momentum. Other candidates earning a long look are believed to be Louisville coach Charlie Strong and Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart.

Interim coach Tim DeRuyter said offensive line coach Jim Turner will call plays on offense in the Meineke Car Care Bowl of Texas on New Year's Eve in Reliant Stadium vs. Northwestern. Sherman had also served as the team's offensive coordinator.

Sherman is reported to be an early candidate for the Jacksonville Jaguars job following the firing of Jack Del Rio. The former Green Bay Packers head coach and Texans offensive coordinator has said returning to the NFL is a "strong possibility."

A&M president R. Bowen Loftin said Monday he "shares the concerns" of Aggies upset that Sherman was notified of his firing via cell phone while on a recruiting trip.

"Let me assure you that our intention was for coach Sherman to be informed of his dismissal in a face-to-face meeting last Friday morning," Loftin said in a statement. "However, when this confidential information was leaked to a media outlet late Thursday afternoon, I instructed … Byrne … to contact coach Sherman as soon as possible. … "I'm angry that the mishandling of this sensitive information forced us to react in this manner, and I'm disappointed in this breach of trust."

big daddy russ
12-06-2011, 02:12 AM
Look at the winning percentages of the other programs in the conference and ask yourself who has recruited better, don't just look at a 6 game sample. You're smarter than that.

Let's talk bigger picture, as in the past twenty years A&M has 2 bowl wins and 1 conference championship.

I can cite winning percentages, conference winning percentages, conference championships, 10 win seasons, bowl wins, end of season top 25 rankings, annual recruiting rankings, revenue streams, etc. They all provide information for my argument. That's all i have tried to get through to Aggie fans and the replies have been "that just is not true", "but you don't understand", "you are wrong because you went to baylor".

In the past 20 years, A&M actually has four conference titles and lost one Big XII Championship Game. In the 90's, they had more conference titles and more ten-win seasons than Oklahoma and Texas combined. Also spent considerable time as a top-five team, particularly in the early-90's.

On the subject of recruiting, A&M won many of their prized recruits over the big boys. Reggie McNeal, Trey Williams, Jorrie Adams, Martellus Bennett, L'Tydrick Riley, Stephen McGee, Von Miller, Jeff Fuller, Justin Warren, and the majority of their four- and five-star pickups were battles won against the Oklahomas, Texases, and Floridas of the world. It's easy to forget how good they were given their mediocrity the past nine years.

big daddy russ
12-06-2011, 02:20 AM
BTW, I think the firing of Sherman came too soon and a Strong or Sumlin hire would set A&M back even further. Fedora might be an OK fit, though I'm not sold on him, while Smart's defensive philosophy would do to the Ags what Wade Phillips did for the Texans. However, the best candidate for A&M's personnel and situation (Smart) also has no HC experience.

Tough spot for A&M given the candidates being rumored for the job.

navscanmaster
12-06-2011, 09:46 AM
BTW, I think the firing of Sherman came too soon and a Strong or Sumlin hire would set A&M back even further. Fedora might be an OK fit, though I'm not sold on him, while Smart's defensive philosophy would do to the Ags what Wade Phillips did for the Texans. However, the best candidate for A&M's personnel and situation (Smart) also has no HC experience.

Tough spot for A&M given the candidates being rumored for the job.
Very sound assessment.

RoyceTTU
12-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Fedora is going to UNC

big daddy russ
12-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Fedora is going to UNC

Confirmed? Last I heard they were just talking. Fedora may have replaced Sumlin as the hottest coaching prospect available.

RoyceTTU
12-06-2011, 02:14 PM
Confirmed? Last I heard they were just talking. Fedora may have replaced Sumlin as the hottest coaching prospect available.

Not confirmed. UNC has offered. Fedora is expected to accept. I can't really see why he wouldn't.

Red&White_9x5
12-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Not confirmed. UNC has offered. Fedora is expected to accept. I can't really see why he wouldn't.

In all honesty, I think UNC is a better football job right now.

RoyceTTU
12-06-2011, 02:22 PM

I dont' think A&M has even made a formal offer from what I understand. If he don't take the UnC job, and he don't get an offer from A&M, he gonna be stuck with the same job he has right now. That isn't a complete failure but it is if your trying to up your pay grade and situation

Macarthur
12-06-2011, 02:45 PM

And you would be incredibly wrong.

big daddy russ
12-06-2011, 03:04 PM
Yeah, it'd be smart to take that job. From what I understand, A&M is Fedora's dream job, but it sounds like there are a few guys ahead of him in that coaching search. Kind of a long shot.

You may be the only one.

Red&White_9x5
12-06-2011, 03:12 PM
I figured I would get this reaction. Let me state the reason for the comment:
The biggest is conferences. It will be MUCH easier to play for an ACC title and an automatic BCS bid than it will to make it through the murderers row aka the SEC West. I'm sorry, but aTm is NOWHERE near ready to compete with the LSU's and Bama's of the world. Hell, the Ags are 0-2 against Arkansas the past 2 seasons.

NastySlot
12-06-2011, 03:21 PM
The biggest is conferences. It will be MUCH easier to play for an ACC title and an automatic BCS bid than it will to make it through the murderers row aka the SEC West. I'm sorry, but aTm is NOWHERE near ready to compete with the LSU's and Bama's of the world. Hell, the Ags are 0-2 against Arkansas the past 2 seasons.

it's actually 0-3 v. arkansas- the last three years..and only one of those games was a blow out..........competing with bama and lsu.......not many teams are.

Macarthur
12-06-2011, 03:27 PM

Yeah, not many teams are on that level. A&M did have the #3 team in the nation pretty much beat until they had the meltdown. Frankly, it's just crazy for anyone to look at A&M's roster and not think they can't compete with most teams in the SEC. They competed fine with Ark. A&M's issues haven't been talent. For goodness sake, they beat OU last year and have a .500 record against UT in the last 6 years.

NastySlot
12-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Yeah, not many teams are on that level. A&M did have the #3 team in the nation pretty much beat until they had the meltdown. Frankly, it's just crazy for anyone to look at A&M's roster and not think they can't compete with most teams in the SEC. They competed fine with Ark. A&M's issues haven't been talent. For goodness sake, they beat OU last year and have a .500 record against UT in the last 6 years.

other day at the bank ran into a texas exe who played some ball back in his day.......after taking a ribbing about the t-day loss.....we talked and he made a statement which i have always believe he said with the talent on those two teams and in the programs...they should never win less than 9 games in a season.

big daddy russ
12-06-2011, 03:53 PM
True, but isn't the promise of leading a top-20 all-time football program with fantastic resources, talent, and recruiting base what most coaches want?

While I don't think they're on par with the Bama's and LSU's, the talent level isn't that far behind. Arkansas fielded a fantastic team this year that had a very underrated offensive and defensive line. They were a lot more than a bevy of world-class receivers and a good QB. And A&M was one of only three teams who was able to physically dominate Arkansas' lines.

Now that I've said that, A&M has a lot more to overcome than talent. The talent to compete is on campus at this minute (except maybe in the secondary). The Aggies need a coach who can put it all together and change the culture. The biggest problem for the Aggies isn't something that just surfaced this year, it's been a recurring problem for ten years. They've never dug deep and pulled out tough wins. It's a culture that's been passed from one class to the next since Fran arrived and has been their biggest impediment from success. And if they truly want to compete in a conference that has nothing except those teams, they'd better grab that mentality in a hurry. The best way to change that mentality doesn't come from the offensive side of the ball, it comes from having that shutdown defense that won't take any prisoners.

In the last decade, the only spread offenses to win national titles had big, athletic QB's piloting them. Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, and Vince Young. In the SEC, competing for a conference title means competing for a national title.

Sumlin and Strong may wind up being great coaches somewhere, but the SEC isn't that somewhere. It's all about where they go from here, and most of the names that keep popping up aren't good fits even though they're big splashes.

Macarthur
12-06-2011, 04:59 PM
In the last decade, the only spread offenses to win national titles had big, athletic QB's piloting them. Tim Tebow, Cam Newton, and Vince Young. In the SEC, competing for a conference title means competing for a national title.

Yes, and Jefferson from LSU will most likely be added to this list.

Sumlin and Strong may wind up being great coaches somewhere, but the SEC isn't that somewhere. It's all about where they go from here, and most of the names that keep popping up aren't good fits even though they're big splashes.

YOu do realize that Strong won two NC as the DC for Florida?

big daddy russ
12-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes, and Jefferson from LSU will most likely be added to this list.
They run more pro set than spread.

YOu do realize that Strong won two NC as the DC for Florida?
I realize that. But he hung onto the spread waaay too long at Louisville. Also runs a defensive system that would take a couple years to adapt to the personnel at A&M.

I thought he would've been a great fit at A&M when Sherman was hired. He was one of Florida's best recruiters during his time in Gainesville and the talent in College Station at the time was well-suited to his system. That's not true anymore, and there will be a painful adjustment period if he were to bring that same even-man front to B/CS.

Then again, I was also pretty upset when we hired Gene Chizik and that's turned out OK for us so far.

big daddy russ
12-06-2011, 05:36 PM
BTW, I'm not entirely opposed to the spread. Dan Mullen's take on the spread might look good in College Station if Matt Davis develops as expected.

Macarthur
12-06-2011, 05:45 PM
They run more pro set than spread.

I realize that. But he hung onto the spread waaay too long at Louisville. Also runs a defensive system that would take a couple years to adapt to the personnel at A&M.

I don't understand your point? In his 2nd year, he's got them competing for the conf title. And he doesn't run the spread, his OC does. I would think he would adapt his scheme to work where he is coaching.

I thought he would've been a great fit at A&M when Sherman was hired. He was one of Florida's best recruiters during his time in Gainesville and the talent in College Station at the time was well-suited to his system. That's not true anymore, and there will be a painful adjustment period if he were to bring that same even-man front to B/CS.

Then again, I was also pretty upset when we hired Gene Chizik and that's turned out OK for us so far.

Moving from a 3-4 to a 4-3 is a bit of a change, but that's a short term problem if you think someone is the right coach.

Buff42
12-06-2011, 08:26 PM
BDR- excellent, insightful posts. Frankeeohnie was the WORST thing to happen in College Station since Fort Shiloh was torn down. We're still paying the price for his buffoonery. A&M needs a top flight coach. Period.

HEMOTOXIC
12-06-2011, 08:37 PM
A&M needs a top flight coach. Period.

:iagree:

Buff42
12-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Hemo- I'm curious how you guys in Rattler Nation feel about the possibility of Fedora going to Aggieland? Is there a sense that brother Lee will join him there?

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 09:12 AM
It's sounding like it's going to be Sumlin after all.

BEAST
12-07-2011, 09:15 AM
It's sounding like it's going to be Sumlin after all.

I am not sure how I feel about this. Is he the absolute best aTm can do?

BEAST

OldBison75
12-07-2011, 09:19 AM
Buff, I know that if Fedora gets the job, Lee Fedora would likely join his staff at TAMU. That would be tough to fix for the Rattlers. However, as a football fan, even though not a big Aggie fan, Fedora would be a great fit for TAMU and his youth and emotional style of coaching would really energize the Aggie Nation. I don't know if Lee leaving Navasota would be a death sentence because the athletes are there. Lee has found the right combination of coach, friend, mentor, and disciplinarian that works with the kids in Navasota. That won't come easy for the next person if he leaves.

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 09:47 AM

Well, it's hard to tell. There's a lot of smoke that says Petersen did more than kick the tires with A&M. Supposidly Dabo Sweeney and Dan Mullins expressed interest. And there also rumors that Chip Kelly had some conversations with Bill Byrne (Byrne was at Oregon before NU so there's some connection there).

I think the A&M job is much more attractive in the coaching world than most casual fans think. It's got a great fan base and tons of money. Couple that with moving into the SEC and the fertile recruiting base, I think most college coaches know that A&M has lots of the ingredients needed to have major success.

I think it all depends on how you look at things. For instance, rumors are that Troy Calhoun did very well in the interview. Calhoun is not a sexy name, but pound for pound, might be one of the best coaches in the country. I think Sumlin will be very popular on the recruiting trail so I think from that standpoint, it will be a good hire. He will be able to keep this class together and he might be able to swing a couple of big names. As for a 'big name', I don't know how serious the Chip Kelly rumors were, but it does appear that the Petersen stuff got to a fairly advanced level.

So I think the answer is yes, A&M can attract a 'big name'. Let's not forget that the jackie Sherrell hire pretty much rocked the college world. When they hired Fran away from Bama, that was regarded as a big coup at the time. Maybe Sumlin is the right hire because it's not the most flashy hire they could make.

BEAST
12-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Well, it's hard to tell. There's a lot of smoke that says Petersen did more than kick the tires with A&M. Supposidly Dabo Sweeney and Dan Mullins expressed interest. And there also rumors that Chip Kelly had some conversations with Bill Byrne (Byrne was at Oregon before NU so there's some connection there).

I think the A&M job is much more attractive in the coaching world than most casual fans think. It's got a great fan base and tons of money. Couple that with moving into the SEC and the fertile recruiting base, I think most college coaches know that A&M has lots of the ingredients needed to have major success.

I think it all depends on how you look at things. For instance, rumors are that Troy Calhoun did very well in the interview. Calhoun is not a sexy name, but pound for pound, might be one of the best coaches in the country. I think Sumlin will be very popular on the recruiting trail so I think from that standpoint, it will be a good hire. He will be able to keep this class together and he might be able to swing a couple of big names. As for a 'big name', I don't know how serious the Chip Kelly rumors were, but it does appear that the Petersen stuff got to a fairly advanced level.

So I think the answer is yes, A&M can attract a 'big name'. Let's not forget that the jackie Sherrell hire pretty much rocked the college world. When they hired Fran away from Bama, that was regarded as a big coup at the time. Maybe Sumlin is the right hire because it's not the most flashy hire they could make.

Oh I hear ya. Im not a guy that thinks you got to get the big name coach. I just dont want the Ags to rush a hire before every stone has been turned.

BEAST

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Oh I hear ya. Im not a guy that thinks you got to get the big name coach. I just dont want the Ags to rush a hire before every stone has been turned.

BEAST

I actually think they have been really deliberate about this. They've interviewed at least 4 candidates, depending on who you believe, maybe as many as 6 or 7. I think that's all you can really ask for.

One other thing to think about. Bill Byrne has a tremendous track record of hiring coaches at A&M's sports outside of football. I think there was a mistake made on Sherman, but there's some debate as to how much Byrne had to do with that hire. He has brought in high quality coaches in all areas of the athletic program.

BEAST
12-07-2011, 09:59 AM
I actually think they have been really deliberate about this. They've interviewed at least 4 candidates, depending on who you believe, maybe as many as 6 or 7. I think that's all you can really ask for.

Do you think Sumlin will clean house and bring in all new coaches? Also, do you think the style of offense that Houston will work in the SEC?

BEAST

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 10:21 AM
Do you think Sumlin will clean house and bring in all new coaches? Also, do you think the style of offense that Houston will work in the SEC?

BEAST

I read a rumor that Sumlin might keep DeRyter just help with continuity on the defensive side. Not sure how much truth there is on that and I'm not sure how I feel about that. DeRyter was really good last year and they made major strides. At times this year, they looked really good, but had some major meltdowns, also. Again, not sure how I feel about that. I know DeRyter was very well thought of when he came from Air Force. I think he's a good coach so I think they would probably be okay with him staying.

I think Sumlin would run a balanced offense. Remember, he was the OC at OU when Peterson was there and if memory serves, they ran the ball pretty well back then. :)

big daddy russ
12-07-2011, 11:09 AM

BEAST
If it turns out Sumlin's the guy, I don't think he's the best A&M can do. I'm not as hot on Sumlin as everyone else (anyone remember last year when Keenum was out?). While I think he'll do fine with the Aggie offense, he's never shown any sort of commitment to defense.

But it's a big name hire that should satisfy the fans and boosters, so I guess that's a win.

One other thing to think about. Bill Byrne has a tremendous track record of hiring coaches at A&M's sports outside of football. I think there was a mistake made on Sherman, but there's some debate as to how much Byrne had to do with that hire. He has brought in high quality coaches in all areas of the athletic program.
I saw something saying that Byrne's on the hot seat. He's turned that athletic program into a great all-around program, and it'll be sad if they let him go based on one sport.

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 11:16 AM
If it turns out Sumlin's the guy, I don't think he's the best A&M can do. I'm not as hot on Sumlin as everyone else (anyone remember last year when Keenum was out?). While I think he'll do fine with the Aggie offense, he's never shown any sort of commitment to defense.

But it's a big name hire that should satisfy the fans and boosters, so I guess that's a win.

Well, it's easy to say that he's not the best they can get, but it's another thing to say who? I don't necessarily disagree with you, but who would you have hired? Now, be realistic - Don't say Saban or Stoops.

I saw something saying that Byrne's on the hot seat. He's turned that athletic program into a great all-around program, and it'll be sad if they let him go based on one sport.

I think he fought the Sherman firing very strongly and weakened his relationship with the powers that be. He has done a good job overall, but at a school like A&M, what matters is success in football. Fair or not, Byrne is saddled with the Sherman hire.

vet93
12-07-2011, 11:25 AM
I am not necesarily a Sumlin apologist, but he just didn't lose Keenum. He also lost the second team qb shortly thereafter and was having to run a pass-happy, quarterback dependent offense with a 3rd string qb that had no starting experience...couple that with a questionable defense at the time and you have a recipe for a dissapointing season.

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I am not necesarily a Sumlin apologist, but he just didn't lose Keenum. He also lost the second team qb shortly thereafter and was having to run a pass-happy, quarterback dependent offense with a 3rd string qb that had no starting experience...couple that with a questionable defense at the time and you have a recipe for a dissapointing season.

True.

big daddy russ
12-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Well, it's easy to say that he's not the best they can get, but it's another thing to say who? I don't necessarily disagree with you, but who would you have hired? Now, be realistic - Don't say Saban or Stoops.
I thought taking a shot with Smart was their best chance out of those mentioned as A&M's top choices (assuming the job belongs to Sumlin). Overall, I think Gary Patterson's possibly the best coach in the nation, he just doesn't have the flash that comes with being the "in" coach this year.

All that being said, I think Sumlin will do well on the recruiting trail, keep A&M's top ten class intact, and that he understands and embraces the culture at A&M-something that's pretty important for any incoming coach.

I had forgotten about him losing the backup.

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 01:31 PM
I thought taking a shot with Smart was their best chance out of those mentioned as A&M's top choices (assuming the job belongs to Sumlin). Overall, I think Gary Patterson's possibly the best coach in the nation, he just doesn't have the flash that comes with being the "in" coach this year.

I think there is a big concern about Smart not having any HC experience and very little experience recruiting Texas. I think he might end up being a very good coach, but I think the feeling was that his learning curve at A&M would be more than someone like Sumlin. I agree on Paterson. If I'm A&M I call him and make him say no.

One interesting thing on Paterson. Galloway said on the radio last week that in Paterson's previous contract with TCU, he had 4 schools that gave him an out with no penalty - UT, OU, ND & A&M. Supposidly, when A&M hired Sherman, they never even called Paterson and inquired. Rumor is that pissed Paterson off so he wouldn't go to A&M now for any amount of money. Again, don't know how true that is, but it's been kicked around.

All that being said, I think Sumlin will do well on the recruiting trail, keep A&M's top ten class intact, and that he understands and embraces the culture at A&M-something that's pretty important for any incoming coach.

I had forgotten about him losing the backup.

I think the recruiting thing is huge. A&M has a very good class lined up and based on the feedback that's being posted by recruits, Sumlin apparantly would be able to keep the class together.

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Some twitter buzz that it's done - Sumlin.

Txbroadcaster
12-07-2011, 01:34 PM
another issue with Smart..is he the one who calls the defense or does Saban..kind of like when OCs worked with Mike Holgrem

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 01:39 PM
another issue with Smart..is he the one who calls the defense or does Saban..kind of like when OCs worked with Mike Holgrem

true

big daddy russ
12-07-2011, 01:57 PM
...One interesting thing on Paterson. Galloway said on the radio last week that in Paterson's previous contract with TCU, he had 4 schools that gave him an out with no penalty - UT, OU, ND & A&M. Supposidly, when A&M hired Sherman, they never even called Paterson and inquired. Rumor is that pissed Paterson off so he wouldn't go to A&M now for any amount of money. Again, don't know how true that is, but it's been kicked around.

I think the recruiting thing is huge. A&M has a very good class lined up and based on the feedback that's being posted by recruits, Sumlin apparantly would be able to keep the class together.
If true about Patterson, A&M screwed up with one of the five best coaches in the college ranks.

A&M's class is pretty good. I got to see QB Matt Davis earlier this year and that kid has the "it" factor to be something special as long as he can handle the mental transition to the college game.

That's been a pretty popular topic, but Saban's on record saying that Smart is the man. Having said that, all three major candidates have multiple flaws.

1st and goal
12-07-2011, 03:39 PM
Fedora to UNC
http://www.aggiesports.com/football/Sources-say-Southern-Miss--Larry-Fedora-accepts-UNC-job--6826728

Macarthur
12-07-2011, 03:40 PM
Looks like they are closing in on Sumlin, but the reason the deal hasn't been announced yet is that Petersen at Boise has not definatively said no. Petersen in the mix still.

Old Tiger
12-07-2011, 03:41 PM
Apparently Larry and Lee do not like College Station.

1st and goal
12-07-2011, 05:15 PM
Apparently Larry and Lee do not like College Station.
You forgot to put your name in that list too......

Old Tiger
12-08-2011, 12:33 AM
You forgot to put your name in that list too......I like my friends that live there!

Buff42
12-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Everyone agrees the Aggies need a defensive minded coach. I'm hearing from very reliable sources that the odds-on favorite for the job is Jerry Sandusky.:1popcorn:

buff4ever
12-08-2011, 02:39 PM
Everyone agrees the Aggies need a defensive minded coach. I'm hearing from very reliable sources that the odds-on favorite for the job is Jerry Sandusky.:1popcorn:

That would get that guy killed quickly, he may have lasted in PA, but not in TX.

Old Tiger
12-08-2011, 02:47 PM
Everyone agrees the Aggies need a defensive minded coach. I'm hearing from very reliable sources that the odds-on favorite for the job is Jerry Sandusky.:1popcorn:They'd rape!

OldNavy
12-08-2011, 02:59 PM
They'd rape!

Only the younglings, Jedi Master! Watch where you put that light saber.:eek:

buff4ever
12-08-2011, 03:10 PM
Saw a bad photoshop of sandusky in an a&m shirt outside kyle field, and the quote was, "yeah, I'll turn those boys around in no time."

REALLY BAD JOKE.

Old Tiger
12-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Saw a bad photoshop of sandusky in an a&m shirt outside kyle field, and the quote was, "yeah, I'll turn those boys around in no time."

REALLY BAD JOKE.this post is worthless without pic