PDA

View Full Version : Vet93, question for you

Gsquared
12-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Can an Ant-eater eat any kind of ant? Like, can they eat a fireant?

vet93
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Yes, they can pretty much eat any kind of ant including fireants, however, they would probably be more attracted to the bigger red ants. In south america ant eaters and armadillos both disturb fireant nests and eat them. However, I think that they graze on fireants and not totally destroy the nests...so if you are thinking about starting an ant-eater farm and selling them to your neighbors to control the critters...you may want to rethink your business plan...just sayin!

Can an Ant-eater eat any kind of ant? Like, can they eat a fireant?

Gsquared
12-06-2011, 12:22 PM
Yes, they can pretty much eat any kind of ant including fireants, however, they would probably be more attracted to the bigger red ants. In south america ant eaters and armadillos both disturb fireant nests and eat them. However, I think that they graze on fireants and not totally destroy the nests...so if you are thinking about starting an ant-eater farm and selling them to your neighbors to control the critters...you may want to rethink your business plan...just sayin!

Oh ok, well crap. Well, what do you know about Ardvarks?

Bullaholic
12-06-2011, 12:26 PM

I know aardvarks has 3 "a's" in it...:D

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2011, 12:37 PM

You scare me

GrTigers6
12-06-2011, 12:39 PM
You scare meAnd your the one who volunteers to sit in tiny booths with him!:D

Txbroadcaster
12-06-2011, 12:56 PM
And your the one who volunteers to sit in tiny booths with him!:D

not volunteer, sentenced

GrTigers6
12-06-2011, 12:58 PM
not volunteer, sentencedSorry, wrong choice of words ,lol

pirate4state
12-06-2011, 05:11 PM

It would be really cool if we had a "vet93" corner. One of my dogs is suffering from what I can only describe as a severe case of dandruff. lol. I've tried aloe. I've tried the oatmeal shampoos. The poor dog is miserable! I started him on fish oil pills. Do you have any other suggestions?

vet93
12-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Aardvarks = same story second verse!

vet93
12-06-2011, 08:00 PM
P4S...Dry Skin in dogs can be very frustrating to treat. Oatmeal shampoos (must leave on skin 5-10 minutes) and fish oil (must be on fish oil for at least 1-2 months for good results) are the two most common therapies. Also, investigating other problems that could be affecting the skin such as allergies, infection, autoimmune disorders, parasites etc...Dermatology can sometimes get pretty complicated and expensive. Right now, continue with the fish oil and don't give up on the oatmeal shampoos (weekly). If nothing is satisfactory, then your vet will likely have to go through the progression of diseases that I mentioned. Good luck!!

It would be really cool if we had a "vet93" corner. One of my dogs is suffering from what I can only describe as a severe case of dandruff. lol. I've tried aloe. I've tried the oatmeal shampoos. The poor dog is miserable! I started him on fish oil pills. Do you have any other suggestions?

vet93
12-06-2011, 08:02 PM
I had better stop....somebody is going to complain "Take it to the pet board!"

pirate4state
12-06-2011, 09:13 PM
I had better stop....somebody is going to complain "Take it to the pet board!"

Not from me. Thank you :)