PDA

View Full Version : DeMarcus Ware

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Where will he finish in the history of the NFL? I am saying he will be known as one of the best OLB in history, a top 2 at worst

Macarthur
11-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Where will he finish in the history of the NFL? I am saying he will be known as one of the best OLB in history, a top 2 at worst

Yeah, I think he will be def a top 5. If the Cowboys win a SB, he could very well be right there with LT at the top.

Pendragon13
11-29-2011, 09:46 AM
Theres no question about what kind of player he is on the field, and all signs point to him being a good family man off as well. He should make the HOF when his playing days are over (in spite of the anti-Cowboy bias) but I don't know where that will put him in the rank of every OLB that has played..

Farmersfan
11-29-2011, 03:43 PM

Not a chance! Andre Ware is a very good pass rusher but isn't even top 25 in the NFL this season in my opinion in all other OLB job requirements. His coverage skills and tackling are very average. He consistently gets suckered inside and loses containment on the outside run. His best attribute is his aggressiveness and that also is his worse attribute in containment of the run.

Farmersfan
11-29-2011, 03:47 PM
Andre Ware is ranked #23 in the NFL this season in total tackles. His best season was 2008 when he was ranked #14.

Old Tiger
11-29-2011, 03:49 PM
LT will always be the #1 OLB IMO. Ware will be a top 5 OLB for sure! You also have young guys like Clay Matthews as well that should creep into that category.

Here are a list of 4 that are definite top 5 all time IMO

LT
Jack Ham
Ware
Derrick Brooks

Farmersfan
11-29-2011, 03:50 PM
http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=2&statisticPositionCategory=LINEBACKER&d-447263-s=DEFENSIVE_COMBINE_TACKLES&tabSeq=1&season=2011&experience=null&Submit=Go&archive=false&conference=null&qualified=true

Farmersfan
11-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Andre Ware is ranked #23 in the NFL this season in total tackles. His best season was 2008 when he was ranked #14.

"ANDRE WARE"? Really Farmersfan?????? You guys knew what I meant.

Farmersfan
11-29-2011, 03:53 PM
LT will always be the #1 OLB IMO. Ware will be a top 5 OLB for sure! You also have young guys like Clay Matthews as well that should creep into that category.

Here are a list of 4 that are definite top 5 all time IMO

LT
Jack Ham
Ware
Derrick Brooks

Derrick Thomas, Bobby Bell, Ted Hendrix, Kevin Greene, just to name a few................

Txbroadcaster
11-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Derrick Thomas, Bobby Bell, Ted Hendrix, Kevin Greene, just to name a few................

I resally hope ur doing a bit right now

Farmersfan
11-30-2011, 08:25 AM
I resally hope ur doing a bit right now

I kinda thought you were doing a bit by projecting a player who isn't even top 20 in active players as the #1 OLB in the history of the game. Other than sacks Ware is way, way, way down the list of even current players. He is not even close to being a top 25 LB in pass coverage and his open field tackling is very average. His sideline to sideline speed is good but not close to some of the others in the league. So give me a single thing other than sack total that Ware would be in the top 20 in the NFL right now much less in history? Unless of course you think sacks are the only thing a OLB is supposed to do?

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2011, 08:54 AM
I kinda thought you were doing a bit by projecting a player who isn't even top 20 in active players as the #1 OLB in the history of the game. Other than sacks Ware is way, way, way down the list of even current players. He is not even close to being a top 25 LB in pass coverage and his open field tackling is very average. His sideline to sideline speed is good but not close to some of the others in the league. So give me a single thing other than sack total that Ware would be in the top 20 in the NFL right now much less in history? Unless of course you think sacks are the only thing a OLB is supposed to do?

"Ask offensive linemen around the league, they'll tell you Ware is the game's most complete, all-around outside linebacker," Wilcots says. "He's as good a defensive player as anyone and fundamentally sound against the run more so than just a pass rusher."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2011-06-19-top-10-outside-linebackers_N.htm

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2011, 08:56 AM
He is listed right now as the 7th best player in NFL for this season

Even though he's on a historic pace for career sacks, Ware's game is much more than just taking down the quarterback. He has consistently improved in coverage and is an excellent run defender as well.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7204179/aaron-rodgers-no-1-scouts-inc-midseason-top-50-rankings-nfl

Pendragon13
11-30-2011, 10:01 AM
I kinda thought you were doing a bit by projecting a player who isn't even top 20 in active players as the #1 OLB in the history of the game. Other than sacks Ware is way, way, way down the list of even current players. He is not even close to being a top 25 LB in pass coverage and his open field tackling is very average. His sideline to sideline speed is good but not close to some of the others in the league. So give me a single thing other than sack total that Ware would be in the top 20 in the NFL right now much less in history? Unless of course you think sacks are the only thing a OLB is supposed to do?I'll take shutting a play down before it gets started over open field tackles and batting down passes...thx.

buff4ever
11-30-2011, 10:17 AM
ware is a great line backer, I like to watch him play the game for sure. Can come up with a big play at any time.

Farmersfan
11-30-2011, 10:26 AM
He is listed right now as the 7th best player in NFL for this season

Even though he's on a historic pace for career sacks, Ware's game is much more than just taking down the quarterback. He has consistently improved in coverage and is an excellent run defender as well.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7204179/aaron-rodgers-no-1-scouts-inc-midseason-top-50-rankings-nfl

There is no denying that as a pass rusher Ware is in a league all by himself. But I disagree with a lot of the other statements. And I find it very contradictory that when told other NFL players picked Romo as the 2nd most overrated player in the league you write it off as hatred for the Cowboys and yet when they pick Ware as the best OLB you present that info as proof!!!!! Besides, how can Ware be the "most complete, all around linebacker" when he is ranked number #23 in the NFL right now in tackles? In a 3-4 scheme Ware is the prototype OLB and I would have him on my team any day of the week. (probably ahead of most of those who rank higher in other stats) Even if Ware doesn't get the number of tackles (not even close in most cases) he is still very disruptive to a offense because of his pass rush ability. But ask yourself these questions:

Take the top rated 10 OLBs in the league and then ask:

1. Who would you prefer cover a RB screen pass out of the backfield?
2. Who would you prefer to insure containment on the end on a run to the outside?
3. Who would you prefer take a TE head up on a pass route?
4. Who would you prefer to have to try and tackle a good RB in the open field?

I seriously doubt any of these will come close to being D. Ware! In fact, Anthony Spencer with the Cowboys is only 2 tackles behind Ware on the season. Would Spencer be a top OLB in the history of the NFL?

Great discussion! And I think it would be a lot like the Emmitt Smith Greatest RB debate in that a lot of it depends on personal preferences and what criteria you use.

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2011, 10:30 AM
There is no denying that as a pass rusher Ware is in a league all by himself. But I disagree with a lot of the other statements. And I find it very contradictory that when told other NFL players picked Romo as the 2nd most overrated player in the league you write it off as hatred for the Cowboys and yet when they pick Ware as the best OLB you present that info as proof!!!!! Besides, how can Ware be the "most complete, all around linebacker" when he is ranked number #23 in the NFL right now in tackles? In a 3-4 scheme Ware is the prototype OLB and I would have him on my team any day of the week. (probably ahead of most of those who rank higher in other stats) Even if Ware doesn't get the number of tackles (not even close in most cases) he is still very disruptive to a offense because of his pass rush ability. But ask yourself these questions:

2. Who would you prefer to insure containment on the end on a run to the outside?

I seriously doubt any of these will come close to being D. Ware! In fact, Anthony Spencer with the Cowboys is only 2 tackles behind Ware on the season. Would Spencer be a top OLB in the history of the NFL?

Great discussion! And I think it would be a lot like the Emmitt Smith Greatest RB debate in that a lot of it depends on personal preferences and what criteria you use.

show me where I said they were haters? I agreed Romo was overrated because of expectations..ur expecting Ware to do everything

Farmersfan
11-30-2011, 10:33 AM
I'll take shutting a play down before it gets started over open field tackles and batting down passes...thx.

One thing that I just noticed by looking at the numbers is that it seems really high tackle totals for OLB means they get very few sacks and the OLBs with high sack totals have much lower tackle numbers.

#1 sack OLB= D. Ware (14 sacks) with 39 combined tackles
#1 tackle OLB=Chad Greenway (104 tackles) with only 1 sack

Farmersfan
11-30-2011, 10:35 AM
[QUOTE=Txbroadcaster;1644508..ur expecting Ware to do everything[/QUOTE]

I certainly do before I name him the greatest in the history of the game!!!!!!!

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2011, 10:38 AM
I certainly do before I name him the greatest in the history of the game!!!!!!!

no one can or has done it all

Old Tiger
11-30-2011, 10:42 AM

Great discussion! And I think it would be a lot like the Emmitt Smith Greatest RB debate in that a lot of it depends on personal preferences and what criteria you use.Jim Brown is greatest RB of all time. A great pass rusher effects the game more than anyone on the defensive side of the ball. DeMarcus Ware is a great pass rusher and his stats say so. Ware is also great against the run. In the Dallas Scheme he is not asked to cover much.

This is Ware's 7th season in the league.

His 94 career sacks ranks 36 all time in the NFL.
He averages 73 tackles a season.
He has 27 forced fumbles for his career.
He has recovered 5 fumbles.
He has 2 fumbles recovered for a TD and that ranks 39 all time in NFL history.
He has 1 INT for his career and that went for a touchdown.
He has 22 passes deflected for his career.

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2011, 10:51 AM

kinda funny u mention Thomas who Ware has about the same stats and Greene who Ware has better stats than

u think a OLB should have 100 tackles and 20 sacks a year..no OLB who is a pass rusher racks up tackles as well..NO ONE.not ware, not thomas, not LT no one..ur either a sack guy or a tackle guy

Farmersfan
11-30-2011, 12:00 PM
kinda funny u mention Thomas who Ware has about the same stats and Greene who Ware has better stats than

u think a OLB should have 100 tackles and 20 sacks a year..no OLB who is a pass rusher racks up tackles as well..NO ONE.not ware, not thomas, not LT no one..ur either a sack guy or a tackle guy

Agreed............After looking at a lot of historicall (and current) numbers it has become plain that there haven't been many OLB that have the kind of balance that Ware has shown through his first 7 seasons. There are better sack OLBs and better OLBs at other stats but I don't find many as good in EVERY category.

Emerson1
11-30-2011, 12:08 PM
When it comes to hating on Romo the Cowboys have the best talent in the league and he is bringing them down, but now Demarcus Ware isn't even a top 25 player at his position? So which is it? Cowboys have the best talent year in and year out or their best players isn't even top 25 at his own position?

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2011, 12:09 PM
Agreed............After looking at a lot of historicall (and current) numbers it has become plain that there haven't been many OLB that have the kind of balance that Ware has shown through his first 7 seasons. There are better sack OLBs and better OLBs at other stats but I don't find many as good in EVERY category.

That is why I think only LT is comparable to Ware and even Belicheck said Ware MIGHT be better than LT

Farmersfan
11-30-2011, 12:17 PM
When it comes to hating on Romo the Cowboys have the best talent in the league and he is bringing them down, but now Demarcus Ware isn't even a top 25 player at his position? So which is it? Cowboys have the best talent year in and year out or their best players isn't even top 25 at his own position?

I over reacted on my first response. I knew Ware was a great pass rusher but my personal experiences by watching him play was re-enforced by the NFL.com rankings that had Ware ranked #23 in the league among active OLB playing right now. But after looking further into the numbers it has become obvious that although Ware isn't the best at any category in the history of the game, he is very good at almost all categories. That appears to be pretty rare. I'm not sure I would lable him the greatest in the history of the game but I admit now he certainly should be in the discussion.
So crawl back in your uninformed little hole and wait for someone to rattle your chain before you bring that unsolicited venom on here. Deal?

Farmersfan
11-30-2011, 12:20 PM
That is why I think only LT is comparable to Ware and even Belicheck said Ware MIGHT be better than LT

New York Times survey has Spencer as the #10 best OLB in the league right now and Ware #1.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/best-outside-linebackers-in-n-f-l-the-top-10-list/

Farmersfan
11-30-2011, 12:23 PM
New York Times survey has Spencer as the #10 best OLB in the league right now and Ware #1.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/28/best-outside-linebackers-in-n-f-l-the-top-10-list/

But then again a year later:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/top-10-outside-linebackers-in-n-f-l/

Emerson1
11-30-2011, 12:26 PM
I over reacted on my first response. I knew Ware was a great pass rusher but my personal experiences by watching him play was re-enforced by the NFL.com rankings that had Ware ranked #23 in the league among active OLB playing right now. But after looking further into the numbers it has become obvious that although Ware isn't the best at any category in the history of the game, he is very good at almost all categories. That appears to be pretty rare. I'm not sure I would lable him the greatest in the history of the game but I admit now he certainly should be in the discussion.
So crawl back in your uninformed little hole and wait for someone to rattle your chain before you bring that unsolicited venom on here. Deal?

Uninformed little hole? Says the guy who thinks Ware isn't a top 25 LB in the league right now.

You need professional help.

Emerson1
11-30-2011, 12:29 PM
http://top100.nfl.com/

Really what the hell were you thinking? 12th best player in the league voted on by the PLAYERS.

and look at that, Romo the 9th QB.

Txbroadcaster
11-30-2011, 12:31 PM
But then again a year later:

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/23/top-10-outside-linebackers-in-n-f-l/

I think Spencer gets a bad rap..people want him to get 15 sacks a year when he is asked to be strongside OLB which means he is more about the run than pass rush