PDA

View Full Version : Stadium picks

LionFan72
11-28-2011, 09:18 AM
I just don't understand some of the coaching decisions when picking sites for featured State Playoff games, i.e. the Stephenville-Aledo game? 8000 seats is not nearly enough for this game IMHO! Would just like to hear some thoughts on the process! Sure you don't want to travel too far from home, but I think giving your kids exposure to the masses should be considered first. With DFW in the middle of both yards, why not? I think you could have easily sold 15,000 for the Stevenville-Aledo game=loss of revenue for both teams, and in the tough times of budgeting, that is sorely needed. Just venting, any comments welcome! Best of luck to all teams left!

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2011, 09:30 AM
I just don't understand some of the coaching decisions when picking sites for featured State Playoff games, i.e. the Stephenville-Aledo game? 8000 seats is not nearly enough for this game IMHO! Would just like to hear some thoughts on the process! Sure you don't want to travel too far from home, but I think giving your kids exposure to the masses should be considered first. With DFW in the middle of both yards, why not? I think you could have easily sold 15,000 for the Stevenville-Aledo game=loss of revenue for both teams, and in the tough times of budgeting, that is sorely needed. Just venting, any comments welcome! Best of luck to all teams left!

problem is..with Cowboy stadium out of play the choices get few and far between..not every ISD wants to do play offs

Emerson1
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
problem is..with Cowboy stadium out of play the choices get few and far between..not every ISD wants to do play offs
This is what people don't get. They assume every single stadium was even open for consideration. I'll be able to hear how this decision came to be later on to day.

TXA 21 should pick it up for TV.

LionFan72
11-28-2011, 10:18 AM
Not making any assumptions, just don't understand the decisions! I would venture a guess that there were probably 40 larger stadiums available at the time of contract, and I said guess, that is why I am asking! After all, this is the fourth round, less teams playing.

ccmom
11-28-2011, 12:11 PM

Not sure if it's true, but I had heard that S'ville/Randall would have been played at Wylie in Randall had found a way to beat Aledo. Unfortunately for Randall, Aledo showed up. : )

I do think there is a misconception that every stadium is willing to host a play off game. That is not the case. There are lots of factors that play into such a decision. I have no idea what factors were considered in deciding where this particular game would be played, but I think some people think that just because a stadium is geographically convenient and the seating is ample that it is an option. That's just not true.

bwdlionfan
11-28-2011, 12:14 PM
What about Birdville? It seats 12,000 and I know it hosts playoff games. TCU is home and may not have wanted to host. I'm not sure if SMU or UNT are home or away and if they wanted to host, Waco ISD would have been another option. I would think they'd have been able to find one with more seating this late in the playoffs there aren't THAT many teams still playing to take up all of the stadiums.

ahs_indian_fan
11-28-2011, 12:25 PM
The stadium actually holds about 12,000 once all is said and done. I for one think it is going to be a great atmosphere. Who's to say they are going to lose money? If Midlothian is cheaper than Birdville, a couple thousand fans isn't going to make a big difference. Someone mentioned TCU ... I don't recall TCU ever hosting a playoff game. They may have once or twice but I don't remember it if they did.

Wasn't this a big issue last year when they played in Waco?

LIONS#1
11-28-2011, 12:52 PM
Well I know a few years ago TCU Amon Carter Stadium hosted several playoff games and was a great place for playoffs. Using College facilities witch seat more fans seems like a no brain-er to me but hey what the heck do I know....:wave:

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2011, 12:55 PM
Well I know a few years ago TCU Amon Carter Stadium hosted several playoff games and was a great place for playoffs. Using College facilities witch seat more fans seems like a no brain-er to me but hey what the heck do I know....:wave:

again, your assuming those placs WANT to fill out the staff to cover the games.

Bullaholic
11-28-2011, 01:09 PM
What about Birdville? It seats 12,000 and I know it hosts playoff games. TCU is home and may not have wanted to host. I'm not sure if SMU or UNT are home or away and if they wanted to host, Waco ISD would have been another option. I would think they'd have been able to find one with more seating this late in the playoffs there aren't THAT many teams still playing to take up all of the stadiums.

I think TCU is still grass even after the renovation, and that might be a factor.

Emerson1
11-28-2011, 01:16 PM
The stadium actually holds about 12,000 once all is said and done. I for one think it is going to be a great atmosphere. Who's to say they are going to lose money? If Midlothian is cheaper than Birdville, a couple thousand fans isn't going to make a big difference. Someone mentioned TCU ... I don't recall TCU ever hosting a playoff game. They may have once or twice but I don't remember it if they did.

Wasn't this a big issue last year when they played in Waco?
Actually it would. A place like C.H. Collins in Denton seats 12,000 and cost only $3,000. That is 4,000 more people you could fit inside and at about $8 a ticket you make $32,000 more on ticket sales.

Sure Midlothian is expandable to 12,000 with standing and grass seats, but it will likely rain and it will be 50*. People are less likely to go because of the risk of having to stand or sit in wet, cold grass.

OldNavy
11-28-2011, 01:21 PM
One factor might be where the coaches and kids enjoy playing. I also know there are some venues that might be available, but I would rather go to the dentist than go there as a fan because of down right unfriendliness, running out of concessions before halftime and the like. Finding a place that both schools will agree on is tough enough and if they don't agree, then each pick and flip a coin. I generally favor agreeing, but some coaches are superstitious and won't play where another team has a history of success. Sometimes it's complecated, and sometimes not.

Emerson1
11-28-2011, 01:25 PM
One factor might be where the coaches and kids enjoy playing. I also know there are some venues that might be available, but I would rather go to the dentist than go there as a fan because of down right unfriendliness, running out of concessions before halftime and the like. Finding a place that both schools will agree on is tough enough and if they don't agree, then each pick and flip a coin. I generally favor agreeing, but some coaches are superstitious and won't play where another team has a history of success. Sometimes it's complecated, and sometimes not.
Stephenville is running out of places for Aledo to beat them then.

toddg
11-28-2011, 01:42 PM

my wife is glad..she's an Aledo alum and midlothian is just up the road!!:)

jason
11-28-2011, 03:49 PM
my wife is glad..she's an Aledo alum and midlothian is just up the road!!:)well, just being up the road is a long ways from being in line at aledo high school to get a ticket...

toddg
11-28-2011, 03:56 PM
well, just being up the road is a long ways from being in line at aledo high school to get a ticket...

yep!! thats what her dear ole Dad is for...:)

Matthew328
11-28-2011, 04:04 PM
Midlothian was chosen because the stadiums the schools wanted to play in wasn't available at the time the schools wanted....Stephenville didn't want to drive through Aledo ISD to play at a neutral site....so there you have it....Midlothian is basically the lesser of the evils that both schools could agree on

Emerson1
11-28-2011, 06:04 PM
I am not sure what Stephenville person you are talking about but I suggested Farrington Field to Stephenville and they laughed at me. I suggested several facilities like Northwest ISD but they said they would NOT drive through Aledo to play the game in any stadium. That ruled out every stadium North and east of Aledo. We discussed Mansfield but it wasn't available when we trying to find a field. Our only option to go to a bigger stadium was Floyd Casey in Waco or Shotwell in Abilene. The problem with that is we only had 7,000 total fans at our game in Waco last year. It does not make sense to drive over 100 miles to play in a bigger stadium when only 3500 fans from each school show up.
The Midlothian AD told us their current capacity is 8700 (home 4700/4000 visitor) and they are supposed to bring in temp bleachers for both bands. If it rains then I doubt we have 8700 fans show up for the game especially if TX21 shows the the game live on TV as they plan to do.
As for the message boards they blasted us last year for going to Waco.
If Stephenville wants to play at Farrington I would be more than happy to move the game but unless their superintendent overrules the AD I don't see that happening

Tim Buchanan
Head Football Coach/AD
Aledo ISD

LionFan72
11-29-2011, 08:33 AM
I am not sure what Stephenville person you are talking about but I suggested Farrington Field to Stephenville and they laughed at me. I suggested several facilities like Northwest ISD but they said they would NOT drive through Aledo to play the game in any stadium. That ruled out every stadium North and east of Aledo. We discussed Mansfield but it wasn't available when we trying to find a field. Our only option to go to a bigger stadium was Floyd Casey in Waco or Shotwell in Abilene. The problem with that is we only had 7,000 total fans at our game in Waco last year. It does not make sense to drive over 100 miles to play in a bigger stadium when only 3500 fans from each school show up.
The Midlothian AD told us their current capacity is 8700 (home 4700/4000 visitor) and they are supposed to bring in temp bleachers for both bands. If it rains then I doubt we have 8700 fans show up for the game especially if TX21 shows the the game live on TV as they plan to do.
As for the message boards they blasted us last year for going to Waco.
If Stephenville wants to play at Farrington I would be more than happy to move the game but unless their superintendent overrules the AD I don't see that happening

Tim Buchanan
Head Football Coach/AD
Aledo ISD
Good job Emerson1, thanks for finding the facts!

Actually I was not picking on just Aledo-Stephenville game, it was just an observation used to ask an open ended question. It has happened (small venues) to lots of schools during the playoffs and there have already been great post to give answers. If offense was taken, none were intended!

LH Panther Mom
11-29-2011, 06:28 PM
Stephenville is running out of places for Aledo to beat them then.
:D That made me laugh!