PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Devine/Wharton

Saggy Aggie
11-28-2011, 08:41 AM
First off, let me say congrats to Wharton on a great season. No one really foresaw a run to the third round and I know with Wright having a year under his belt in the program and QB Grissom coming back next year, you guys will make some noise in 2011.

Second, congrats are in order to Joseph Sadler, for 1) breaking the record and 2) rushing for nearly 400 yards and 7 tds. That guy is what he's hyped up to be. Good runner, very shifty, plenty of vision, strong enough to break tackles, and fast enough where if he gets a step he's gone.

That said, Devine has a monstrous O-line. To be completely honest, I wasnt expecting that at all. Those guys got stronger as the night wore on and eventually had their way with a tough Wharton defensive front.

I remember while watching La Vernia and WC play and Aaron Grubb reminded me a lot of Sadler. Very good back, but me and my grandpa were talking and decided LV didn't really have much else. We thought to ourselves if they had had a little better line a few other good skill players then they could hang with West Columbia. Well, Devine has exactly what LV needed. They have 1 outstanding RB, a great O line, and another good runner in Fraga. They dont make stupid mistakes (2 penalties all night?).

The problem I see with Devine is they are weak on defense. A pretty 1 dimensional Wharton team put 400 yards up and 42 points on them.

I think Devine lacks the speed defensively to go all the way, no disrespect intended.

In order to beat Wimberley, I think they definitely need to net more than 0 yards on punts. They have to cover KO's better, and play tighter defense.

All in all, a VERY entertaining game between 2 good and pretty evenly matched teams. Penalties and the fumble return TD sealed wharton's fate. Congrats to both teams and good luck next week, Devine. P.s.... nice crowd!

Also, I was very impressed with the Wharton crowd post game. They started a chant that said "We are... proud of you." I could hear it all the way to my car. Very classy and a great atmosphere.

warhorsejoe
11-28-2011, 09:10 AM
Very well said!!! Wharton has a bright future.

pirate4state
11-28-2011, 10:30 AM
As much as I enjoyed the Sadler/Devine express, and I really did, IMHO I don't think they will be able to run on Wimberley like they did Wharton. Wimberley D is too fast and disciplined. Again, just my opinion. Try not to get your feelings hurt. ;) Afterall, I'm just a girl...what do I know?!? I'm not counting Devine out just yet, especially if Wimberley comes out flat again. LOL

But back to Devine/Wharton...this was a GREAT game up until Wharton had back-to-back turnovers. Even then I thought they had an outside chance with their explosive offense (i.e. - Peacock!) if they could just stop Devine on 4th & short, but that dreaded lack of discipline reared its ugly head in the form of an offsides penalty?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! Poor kid.

Great, great crowd!!! I would like to apologize to the Devine folks. It was apparent the concession stand peeps were NOT prepared (volunteer wise) for the crowd yall brought. Having been there before (5A playoff baseball game) I know what it's like to be short handed and feeling like you would never get a chance to catch your breath!!! I also noticed the extremely long lines at BOTH bathrooms. WOW! Yall weren't lying about the crowd you would bring. :2thumbsup --- Hopefully the Sinton higher ups noticed the areas for improvement to our facilities. ;)

Good luck next week and congrats to Wharton on a great season!

Saggy Aggie
11-28-2011, 10:43 AM
I agree. Think wimberley is too physical upfront to be pushed around like the Wharton d line, but then again I didn't expect whartons d to get used like that either.

Devine has a good enough o line to get yards, that's for sure, but here's why I think wimberley wins:

They've seen and stopped this kind of offense before and it won't be something new.

I'm fairly certain this is the first time in several years Wharton has seen that type of offense and they simply weren't prepared to stop it.

Wimberley more accustomed to it and more physical upfront. Think the texans get their offense going against a relatively weak Devine D and say goodnight warhorses. No disrespect intended but I think wimberley takes the next one.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-28-2011, 10:48 AM
It was WINDY!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0PyQRV-xHI