PDA

View Full Version : My Random Statewide Thoughts.....All Classes

Matthew328
11-28-2011, 12:29 AM
Losses by Trinity and Katy show you just how tough it is to win a state title in the state of Texas, especially at the 5A level. The week in week out grind that the playoffs can be is unreal. It's still shocking, but give credit where credit is due to both LaPorte and especially Martin...3 FIRST DOWNS ALLOWED?? That is nuts...Trinity's lack of a passing game this year finally caught up to them, in years past Trinity at least had the threat of a passing game...no such luck this year..Martin-SLC should be classic...last time SLC played an AISD squad at SMU it didn't work out real well....

Skyline avoided a let down with a big second half to take down Klein Oak...can the Raiders get past the round 4 hurdle? I'll be in Waco to find out!

Don't look now but Pearland is back!! The Oilers are playing maybe the best football of anyone in 5A Division 1......

Speaking of giving credit where credit is due, how about those Harlingen Cardinals? A week after being left for dead by the San Antonio and statewide media they came out with a genius defensive game plan and rolled an 11-1 Warren squad 53-28. A lot of breaks went to Harlingen no doubt, but last week the breaks all went against them and they still found a way to win....Randy Bermea is the best player in the state no one has heard of.....

We had a couple of thrillers in Abilene on Saturday and we saw the difference between Abilene High and Cooper....Abilene High despite a lot of time being less talented finds a way to win close games and homefield certianly helps....Cooper on the other hand jumped out to a 16-0 lead but couldn't hold it at the end...an insanely dumb personal foul penalty kept Timberview in it and Charles Taylor found a way to make them pay..if Saturday's game at Collins is anything like the double dip at Shotwell anyone who goes to that game is in for a treat!

An all Spring ISD final? I sure didn't have that in my bracket!! I didn't think a one man team could beat Longview, but screw me if the fighting Trey Williams' aka Spring DeKaney didn't get it done....all kidding aside Williams is the truth there's no denying that....but can they beat a more complete Westfield squad this week?

In 4A Denton Ryan's anemic offense didn't get a chance to embarrass itself on TV this year as Midway laid the smacketh down on the Raiders...you may laugh at this but maybe a little seven on seven woulda helped the Raiders? A little???? LOL Midway gets the PAIN TRAIN this week..ROHO's been here before but laid down a couple of epic choke jobs....

CUJO exposed HP for being a good but far from vintage Scots squad....John Tyler's offense is not what you are used to seeing but man are they fun to watch...can they take out a Sherman squad which looks like a team of destiny....rallying from a 19-0 third qtr deficit in Round 3 is impressive in my book....and what is exactly is a Bearcat?

In Austin Lake Travis puts their insane 27 game playoff winning streak on the line against Cedar Park.....CPHS won't be intimidated by LT but can they get it done?? No...don't let that 24-21 regular season score fool you..that was a 24-0 game going into the 4th and the Cavs took their foot off the gas....

Stephenville-Aledo? There's 7 threads devoted to it already...but I did find out a Bearcat is a S*** eating possum....thanks TenTheHardWay.....

Corsicana's offense made a good Centennial defense look real bad Friday night....the Tigers may not get past Aledo/Stephenville but they were fun to watch....

LaMarque-Ozen ended in an ugly ugly brawl where pepper spray was used on players....the pics from the Bmt newspaper are shocking to say the least....I can't see how LM can refocus against a loaded Manvel squad....

In 3A Alvarado who hasn't been challenged all year hooks up with Henderson who made Celina look flat silly on Friday....should be another 3A classic at Pennington...in the words of Bart Scott...CAN'T WAIT!!

Really disappointed Snyder spit the bit against Shallowater in Division II...I think the Tigers were looking ahead to a rematch with Monahans...the winner of Argyle-Gilmer will coast to the title game as Shallowater-Monahans simply does not match up.....

Coldspring has a Denton Ryan-like offense yet they keep winning.....they play a West Orange-Stark squad nearly as anemic.....first team to 14 wins....

Props to Joseph Sadler aka the Gingerbread Man for Devine for breaking Ken Hall's scoring record.....389 yards and 7 touchdowns last week to beat Wharton....the problem is Devine is literally Sadler and a bunch of hard working kids.....that won't work against Wimberley....

in 2A I can only imagine the celebrating in Eastland County on Friday as Eastland took down Wall 15-14 in a battle of unbeatens and Cisco stunned defending state champ Idalou in Div. II.....Refugio impressed a lot of folks, self-included with a 41-7 rout of unbeaten Poth last week....can they beat another unbeaten this week as they hook up with Sonora?

in 1A Mason won a war with fellow unbeaten Ganado 7-0....the Punchers take on the Comanches from Shiner who have gotten red hot after a slow start....I want one of these teams to make state...just to see the Punchers or Shiner at Cowboys Stadium.....in Division II the big question is will Tenaha even get challenegd??

Hope you enjoyed my random football scattershooting at 11:50 on a Sunday night...Happy Football!

toddg
11-28-2011, 12:47 AM
good thoughts as always matt!

rholl
11-28-2011, 12:59 AM
Nice read Matt
You going to Pennington friday??
Any chance the crowd matches the Everman/Forney
Crowd there from a few years back??

Matthew328
11-28-2011, 01:02 AM
I don't think it'll be that big but I anticipate a pretty good crowd

3afan
11-28-2011, 02:34 AM
I'd like to see Harlingen make the final

buckeyebob
11-28-2011, 03:09 AM
Good thoughts Matt

regaleagle
11-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Enjoyed your coverage and commentary...it has a nice Texas style to it.

lbjacj
11-28-2011, 07:33 AM
"Props to Joseph Sadler aka the Gingerbread Man for Devine for breaking Ken Hall's scoring record.....389 yards and 7 touchdowns last week to beat Wharton....the problem is Devine is literally Sadler and a bunch of hard working kids.....that won't work against Wimberley...."

Glad to see someone other than Wimberley fans think that!

griff
11-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Coldspring has a Denton Ryan-like offense yet they keep winning.....they play a West Orange-Stark squad nearly as anemic.....first team to 14 wins....

Matt, I usually enjoy your material. At the same time you frequently remind me how not having a "local" touch really keeps you in the "outsider" category. I know you do your best to cover teams across this great state, but living off of team traditions, previous year's team profiles, and early season records/level of play creates mistakes in your assessments. To say WO-S has a "nearly as anemic offense" as Coldspring shows that you're out of touch. Sorry, but you really don't know what you're talking about. The WO-S offense is anything but that. They've produced a balanced attack in rushing and passing since week 9 because they successfully integrated a new offensive system. It took several weeks, but we're where we need to be in our progress on offense. Also, week 9 was when we were finally 100% healthy. But, since you're in the Dallas metro, you are disconnected from what's really happening. This is the same kind of thing you stubbed yourself on last year when saying Friendswood would defeat WO-S convincingly. As good as Friendswood was last year, they were outmatched with WO-S speed in that game. Those closer to the action knew that and also knew WO-S had a legitimate shot at winning. WO-S lost by one point and if a ref hadn't made a bad call in the end zone, we win that game. This was nowhere near the blowout you predicted.

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2011, 07:59 AM
Matt, I usually enjoy your material. At the same time you frequently remind me how not having a "local" touch really keeps you in the "outsider" category. I know you do your best to cover teams across this great state, but living off of team traditions, previous year's team profiles, and early season records/level of play creates mistakes in your assessments. To say WO-S has a "nearly as anemic offense" as Coldspring shows that you're out of touch. Sorry, but you really don't know what you're talking about. The WO-S offense is anything but that. They've produced a balanced attack in rushing and passing since week 9 because they successfully integrated a new offensive system. It took several weeks, but we're where we need to be in our progress on offense. Also, week 9 was when we were finally 100% healthy. But, since you're in the Dallas metro, you are disconnected from what's really happening. This is the same kind of thing you stubbed yourself on last year when saying Friendswood would defeat WO-S convincingly. As good as Friendswood was last year, they were outmatched with WO-S speed in that game. Those closer to the action knew that and also knew WO-S had a legitimate shot at winning. WO-S lost by one point and if a ref hadn't made a bad call in the end zone, we win that game. This was nowhere near the blowout you predicted.

Has WO-S found an offense? Or has the fact the last 4 teams having a combined record of 20-25 having something to do with it?...Their play off oppents are all of 19-16

griff
11-28-2011, 08:20 AM
Yes. "Finding" and offense had more to do with adjusting to a new system (new OC this year) and getting some injured players healthy. We switched from a spread offense to one that runs the pistol and the I. Our offense hit it's stride beginning with the Silsbee game. The Mustangs have become a physical run blocking team with a sufficient number of pass attempts every game. A nice balance...not at all anemic. Also, we have an excellent kicker. It was a painful process of growing pains early in the year, but the product we have now is very good. We can do nothing about the record of our opponents.

Matthew328
11-28-2011, 08:34 AM
I saw WOS against Giddings so I'm not totally out of touch with what they throw down....and although they've improved offensively I believe its more a product of who they've played the last 3 weeks.....they didnt light the world on fire in district play either....light up the Coldspring D and color me convinced but right now I'm not buying what they are selling on O.....that being said Coldspring might be worse on offense so WOS may win a 13-12 kinda game

Txbroadcaster
11-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Yes. "Finding" and offense had more to do with adjusting to a new system (new OC this year) and getting some injured players healthy. We switched from a spread offense to one that runs the pistol and the I. Our offense hit it's stride beginning with the Silsbee game. The Mustangs have become a physical run blocking team with a sufficient number of pass attempts every game. A nice balance...not at all anemic. Also, we have an excellent kicker. It was a painful process of growing pains early in the year, but the product we have now is very good. We can do nothing about the record of our opponents.

I am not discounting that WO-S has found a flow on offense..but until they do it agianst a team like CS we just dont know..as of now the season shows when WO-S plays a good team the O struggles..I still think this game is all about the D for both squads..would not shock me to see a 7-6 type of game

Matthew328
11-28-2011, 08:37 AM

I appreciate you remembering a bad pick I made last year as well...let's me know people do pay attention to my commentary and I guess if I get more right than wrong people will still listen (hopefully).....can't win em all and trying to predict what 16, 17, 18 year olds will do is tough sledding...

cowboyandchrist
11-28-2011, 09:35 AM

You forgot the Tatum Eagles, Daingerfield Tigers, Crocket Bull Dogs and Arp Tigers, they are playing some outstanding football in the playoffs. I believe Tatum and Daingerfield are headed for a showdown and ARP will beat the the pants off Ref.

pirate4state
11-28-2011, 10:14 AM
good read.

Bullaholic
11-28-2011, 10:40 AM
Not bad, Matt, good insights---you ought to consider doing this for a living. BTW--Whenever I make a wrong playoff pick, I look to see if you did too, and if you did, I immediately say--"See, even the pros like Matt mess up now and then, too." Conversely, when I pick the same ones right that you did, I immediately say "See, even a pro like Matt is no better at picking than me," :D

LIONS#1
11-28-2011, 01:52 PM
Nice piece Matt!!

turbostud
11-28-2011, 05:35 PM
stephenville-aledo? There's 7 threads devoted to it already...but i did find out a bearcat is a s*** eating possum....thanks tenthehardway.....

lmao!!!!!!

griff
11-28-2011, 07:55 PM
I saw WOS against Giddings so I'm not totally out of touch with what they throw down....and although they've improved offensively I believe its more a product of who they've played the last 3 weeks.....they didnt light the world on fire in district play either....light up the Coldspring D and color me convinced but right now I'm not buying what they are selling on O.....that being said Coldspring might be worse on offense so WOS may win a 13-12 kinda game
BTW...there was supposed to be a M&G at the WO-S/Giddings game at halftime and no one showed up from Giddings, nor did you. What happened? I was personally looking forward to meeting you. I enjoy your work.

As for the WO-S offense...my point is to say that for someone who is "in the know" as yourself, you're not keeping up with what's current by just brushing off a team who has averaged 50 points a game for four weeks and calling them anemic. You're summarizing everything from one game back in week four. That's why you gotta be closer to the action in order to be more accurate about these things. I again point to the Friendswood/WO-S game from last year as an example. Anyone can say, "Let's see...FW was a 4A state semi-final team last year...some D1 prospects on their team...WO-S is 3A team...I predict FW in a blowout." If you're gonna cover the state's teams, especially the ranked ones, you can do better than that. Those who followed these two teams knew it would not be a blowout, as was the case.

No one is expecting WO-S to blowout Coldspring. Their defense is too good for any team to accomplish that. If that and that alone is what it takes for you to see the progress and strong play of the WO-S offense, then you'll remain stuck in your week four opinion of WO-S. I understand that you're in Dallas and we're in the southeast corner of the state, but for goodness sakes we're now in week four of the playoffs. Catch up, will ya? :)

Matthew328
11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
BTW...there was supposed to be a M&G at the WO-S/Giddings game at halftime and no one showed up from Giddings, nor did you. What happened? I was personally looking forward to meeting you. I enjoy your work.

As for the WO-S offense...my point is to say that for someone who is "in the know" as yourself, you're not keeping up with what's current by just brushing off a team who has averaged 50 points a game for four weeks and calling them anemic. You're summarizing everything from one game back in week four. That's why you gotta be closer to the action in order to be more accurate about these things. I again point to the Friendswood/WO-S game from last year as an example. Anyone can say, "Let's see...FW was a 4A state semi-final team last year...some D1 prospects on their team...WO-S is 3A team...I predict FW in a blowout." If you're gonna cover the state's teams, especially the ranked ones, you can do better than that. Those who followed these two teams knew it would not be a blowout, as was the case.

No one is expecting WO-S to blowout Coldspring. Their defense is too good for any team to accomplish that. If that and that alone is what it takes for you to see the progress and strong play of the WO-S offense, then you'll remain stuck in your week four opinion of WO-S. I understand that you're in Dallas and we're in the southeast corner of the state, but for goodness sakes we're now in week four of the playoffs. Catch up, will ya? :)

Again, WOS has put up big numbers against teams in the playoffs who flat out are mediocre....put up numbers (not saying 50 but upper 20's would be impressive) against Coldspring and I'm convinced.....but come on we are pointing out a regular season game from last year as a barometer of what I know and don't know?

My Logic was sound for Friendswood-WOS a year ago, it wasn't simply FW was a 4A playoff team and WOS was a 3A team....I wasn't real sold on the WOS secondary (based on what I saw on film and in person and in 7 on 7) and I thought F'wood would exploit that...obviously on that particular day it didn't happen...but funny things happen esp early in the season..

I watch 4 games per week minumum (and not just in DFW, seen games in Huntsville, Katy, San Antonio, Tyler, Waco, Wichita Falls, Midland and Abilene in addition to DFW) and will catch another 2-3 per week online on hudl or DSV and my pick em record of nearly 80% in the playoffs I think speaks pretty well for what my knowledge or lack thereof...I have my hits and my misses like everyone, obviously since my miss hit a nerve personally its something you enjoy reminding me of and that's OK...its just the way things go...no one remembers the hits just the misses

griff
11-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Again, WOS has put up big numbers against teams in the playoffs who flat out are mediocre....put up numbers (not saying 50 but upper 20's would be impressive) against Coldspring and I'm convinced.....but come on we are pointing out a regular season game from last year as a barometer of what I know and don't know?

My Logic was sound for Friendswood-WOS a year ago, it wasn't simply FW was a 4A playoff team and WOS was a 3A team....I wasn't real sold on the WOS secondary (based on what I saw on film and in person and in 7 on 7) and I thought F'wood would exploit that...obviously on that particular day it didn't happen...but funny things happen esp early in the season..

I watch 4 games per week minumum (and not just in DFW, seen games in Huntsville, Katy, San Antonio, Tyler, Waco, Wichita Falls, Midland and Abilene in addition to DFW) and will catch another 2-3 per week online on hudl or DSV and my pick em record of nearly 80% in the playoffs I think speaks pretty well for what my knowledge or lack thereof...I have my hits and my misses like everyone, obviously since my miss hit a nerve personally its something you enjoy reminding me of and that's OK...its just the way things go...no one remembers the hits just the misses

Keep doing what you're doing. Regardless of the hits and misses, your work is enjoyable to read. Thanks for your enthusiasm for Texas high school football and the effort to see as many teams as you do.

jason
11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Keep doing what you're doing.
he's moving to canada

COBRAFOOTBALL
11-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Alvarado Vs. Henderson

#1 Offense Vs. #1 Defense

Pennington field. Being televised on channel 21 Live if sold out.. tape delay if not sold out. I think 11 pm?

What a game this should turn out to be.. getting goosebumps here!

Emerson1
11-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Well it won't be sold out so I guess we will have to wait until 11.

mwynn05
11-28-2011, 11:18 PM
If Harlingen gets to the final dont be surprised to see 30,000 people from the valley make the trip.... that might be an exaggeration, but not much of one

ogg
11-29-2011, 09:49 AM
I'd like to see Harlingen make the final

I'd like to see ANY valley team in the finals.

pirate4state
11-29-2011, 09:59 AM
If Harlingen gets to the final dont be surprised to see 30,000 people from the valley make the trip.... that might be an exaggeration, but not much of one I'm gonna head to Kingsville on Friday and see how many they pack in at Javelina Stadium. :cheerl:

Matthew328
11-29-2011, 12:24 PM
Harlingen will sell out of their 8000 tickets probably today......they will be lined up all day Friday for the remaing tix on the Madison side..

Matthew328
11-29-2011, 12:39 PM
People were camping out last night to be first in line for the general public ticket sales on Wednesday....they had to limit season ticket holders to 8 tickets per person because people were buying them in bulk and scalping them at the game last week...lol

turbostud
11-29-2011, 12:50 PM
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/hssports/2011/11/football-playoff-podcast-state-quarterfinals/
LOL, Listen here for a couple of San Antonio bloggers who ran their mouth about Harlingen and the Valley. At least they were honest in admitting they were wrong unlike most of the SA posters.

"We hope you had a happy Thanksgiving. Us? We were served a hot dish of crow instead of turkey this year. Listen in to hear Lorne and Blake give Harlingen its well-deserved credit, preview the huge Steele/Reagan matchup and continue to be amazed by the Gingerbread Man. Good luck finding bulletin board material this week, Valley folks!"

Matthew328
11-29-2011, 04:11 PM
Harlingen ISD taking steps to quell the camping out in the cold for general public tickets

http://www.hcisd.org/site/Default.aspx?PageType=3&DomainID=90&PageID=691&ViewID=7b97f7ed-8e5e-4120-848f-a8b4987d588f&FlexDataID=4149

Matthew328
11-29-2011, 04:12 PM
article about scalping tickets

http://www.valleycentral.com/sports/story.aspx?id=691656

Matthew328
11-29-2011, 04:14 PM
http://www.valleycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=691755

article about people camping out

Matthew328
11-29-2011, 05:09 PM
Here's some highlights of last week's game for Harlingen, notice the crowd on both sides and the fans standing in the end zones

http://956sports.com/2011/11/29/harlingen-vs-warren-highlights/

pirate4state
11-29-2011, 07:45 PM
Here's some highlights of last week's game for Harlingen, notice the crowd on both sides and the fans standing in the end zones

http://956sports.com/2011/11/29/harlingen-vs-warren-highlights/

wow, that is nuts. i wish someone had a full on picture of their stands!

turbostud
11-30-2011, 01:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXR9MlY5ZYU&feature=youtu.be

Some more lockeroom/ground level highlights from Harlingen/Warren. Any who thinks coaches and players dont read forums is dead wrong. Not sure how the HHS coaches are gonna motivate their players this week since most people in SA have shut up.

Matthew328
12-03-2011, 12:38 AM
So I was right....first one to 14 wins Coldspring-WOS

Txbroadcaster
12-03-2011, 12:49 AM
So I was right....first one to 14 wins Coldspring-WOS

we saw that WO-S the last few weeks was doing good on offense against bad teams

lbjacj
12-03-2011, 09:58 AM
Game recap worthy of Shakespear!

http://956sports.com/2011/12/03/it-is-done-harlingen-charge-ends-in-fourth-round-with-point-losst-to-athletic-madison/

LH Panther Mom
12-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Booooooo. You left off your 6-man thoughts. :p