PDA

View Full Version : West Columbia

Bullaholic
11-23-2011, 09:51 AM
Are they good enough to beat everyone else left in the D1 bracket? Not trying to stir---I know very little about WC and would be interested in seeing your thoughts. They have seemed to have won every week convincingly, and from here on in nothing but the "big" dogs who can pee in the tall grass....

SHSBulldog00
11-23-2011, 10:02 AM
Chapel Hill and Henderson would beat them depending on what team shows up. Alvarado, Celina and Navasota would be good games. West Columbia would win by at least 2TD's over Seminole and La Vernia.

Bullaholic
11-23-2011, 10:11 AM
Chapel Hill and Henderson would beat them depending on what team shows up. Alvarado, Celina and Navasota would be good games. West Columbia would win by at least 2TD's over Seminole and La Vernia.

Thanks for that honest opinion, SHS.

nexfan
11-23-2011, 10:13 AM
I think were kind of like a region 3 team playing in region 4. When we were 4A we were in region 3 and seemed to compete athlete wise on other team's level when we had good teams. Lost to LaMarque in 2001 and Brenham in the third round in 2003.

Now that weve been in 3A when we were in Region 3 we made it to the Regional final against Waco Robinson and lost at Kyle Field pretty handily. WE beat Bellville and Silsbee to get to the final. Weve done considerably better minus the Wimberley raping of 2005. Made it to the State Semi's last year and are a game away this year.

Out of all the teams left lets just say its anybody's race with Chapel Hill looking the most dominant.

WC/LG92
11-23-2011, 10:34 AM
I think were kind of like a region 3 team playing in region 4. When we were 4A we were in region 3 and seemed to compete athlete wise on other team's level when we had good teams. Lost to LaMarque in 2001 and Brenham in the third round in 2003.

Now that weve been in 3A when we were in Region 3 we made it to the Regional final against Waco Robinson and lost at Kyle Field pretty handily. WE beat Bellville and Silsbee to get to the final. Weve done considerably better minus the Wimberley raping of 2005. Made it to the State Semi's last year and are a game away this year.

Out of all the teams left lets just say its anybody's race with Chapel Hill looking the most dominant.

I agree with everyone's assessments above... Chapel Hill & Henderson seem to be the better teams if each faced Columbia. No disrespect to any of the other squads in the playoff hunt currently.

Roughneck93
11-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Are they good enough to beat everyone else left in the D1 bracket? Not trying to stir---I know very little about WC and would be interested in seeing your thoughts. They have seemed to have won every week convincingly, and from here on in nothing but the "big" dogs who can pee in the tall grass....Chapel Hill and Henderson would look to be our toughest out. Chapel Hill showed us last year convincingly. If they are both firing on all cylinders, watch out. Alvarado, Celina, Navasota, Seminole I would group as pick 'em with the toughest being Alvarado and Celina. That being said, other than Chapel Hill, I haven't seen the others play recently. I'm just going off info that I have seen or read as well as my opinions. Oh yeah, forgot about La Vernia. We will beat them on Friday and be one of the final four.

Saggy Aggie
11-23-2011, 01:20 PM
Well bull, I'm as a big of a WC fan on here as there is but I keep it real too. We had a good team last year and got stomped by chill in the semis. We have a good team again this year. The main difference between 2010 WC and 2011 WC is that this year we have more defense and less offense. Our offense is capable of being as good, and have been the last 3 weeks, but all season didn't have the same offensive consistency as 2010.

WC is loaded with athletes and they play sound football. #7, 2, 5, 22, 3, 26 are all play makers. We have a DE/TE #31 Bradley swanks that is good enough to play d1, actually had fsu/Miami scouts looking at him but didnt seem to really care from what I've heard.

WC can match up athletically at the skill positions with any 3a team. Our biggest problem is matching up on the lines. If our lines play well, we can play with/beat anyone, but if the lines are getting pushed around then we'll be in over our head. Our secondary is good and actually lead all of 3a in INTS until about week 5 when teams just stopped throwing on us. I think #7 treylon johnican had 7 by himself in the first 4 games.

The other thing is, WC is dangerous on special teams. #7 has about 5-6 punt return tds and we have 2 kickoff return tds. Our kicker is money inside 30 and has hit fgs from 50 in pregame. We have solid kickoff coverage and we do the rugby style punt with a pass option from our QB/punter.

We run the ball a lot with #22/3/26.

All in all, a very good team that will have to play a monster game to get by chill/navasota but we have our hands full this Friday with LaVernia. Any specific questions that I didn't address then feel free to ask.

Papá Oso
11-23-2011, 02:11 PM
Well bull, I'm as a big of a WC fan on here as there is but I keep it real too. We had a good team last year and got stomped by chill in the semis. We have a good team again this year. The main difference between 2010 WC and 2011 WC is that this year we have more defense and less offense. Our offense is capable of being as good, and have been the last 3 weeks, but all season didn't have the same offensive consistency as 2010.

WC is loaded with athletes and they play sound football. #7, 2, 5, 22, 3, 26 are all play makers. We have a DE/TE #31 Bradley swanks that is good enough to play d1, actually had fsu/Miami scouts looking at him but didnt seem to really care from what I've heard.

WC can match up athletically at the skill positions with any 3a team. Our biggest problem is matching up on the lines. If our lines play well, we can play with/beat anyone, but if the lines are getting pushed around then we'll be in over our head. Our secondary is good and actually lead all of 3a in INTS until about week 5 when teams just stopped throwing on us. I think #7 treylon johnican had 7 by himself in the first 4 games.

The other thing is, WC is dangerous on special teams. #7 has about 5-6 punt return tds and we have 2 kickoff return tds. Our kicker is money inside 30 and has hit fgs from 50 in pregame. We have solid kickoff coverage and we do the rugby style punt with a pass option from our QB/punter.

All in all, a very good team that will have to play a monster game to get by chill/navasota but we have our hands full this Friday with LaVernia. Any specific questions that I didn't address then feel free to ask.

Special teams is the single biggest concern I have going into the game Friday evening. We've been solid all year but that #7 is a beast out in the open field. We can't afford giving them a short field not to mention the momentum gains a big return can give a team.

PO

necks88
11-24-2011, 08:12 AM
D line is very quick of the ball and has caused much havic for opposing offences.

Saggy Aggie
11-25-2011, 12:05 AM
ttt for bull

yellaseeker
11-25-2011, 02:15 AM

Pretty good report S.A. Only thing i disagree with is #31 is not the ball of fire some folks thinks he is. I will say, he is the best TE we have and has very good hands but defensively, the two other DE's (#88 and #8) actually account for more tackles this year and for good reason. #31 does fine on defense when he is winning the war at the line but when met with a little adversity, he slacks a good bit. Also, when plays go away from him, he does not go hard till the whistle instead, he slowly trails the play a lot of times. That being said, the other two DE's do not take for granted a ball carrier is going to be tackled just cause it looks definate. Instead, they assume there will be a tackle missed or broken and go hard to the ball carrier till the play is dead or the whistle is blown. I've witnessed these guys making tackles all the way to the sidelines on the opposite side of the line they're playing on, in a bunch of games. Not pointing it out to totally discredit one player but, it's time the workhorses get their due credit. Oh and, kinda doubt the D1 offers if they've watched film from this year. Nuff of that...... Anyways, we need to come out strong tomorrow and draw first blood early and i think the defense will keep the offense on the field. I know C.hill is still very good this year and i know its a tall order but, if they bobble, I believe these boys can make a good run at them.