PDA

View Full Version : The History of The Warhorse

warhorsejoe
11-22-2011, 08:24 PM
The History of the Warhorse
The dictionary defines a “Warhorse” as: A powerful horse—a charger—one who has had a stormy but successful career.
William the Conqueror used mounted knights to invade England. The English then began to breed a large powerful WARHORSE that could carry a man wearing heavy armor. When returning from a victory in battle, the knight and his horse were given a triumphal return home. The whole city was victorious.
Ramses III of Ancient Egypt said, “A WARHORSE quivers in all his limbs, anxious to crush the foe under his hooves...” From: Encyclopedia Britannica & World Book Encyclopedia.
Since 1923, Devine High students, former students and friends have worn the name WARHORSE, rallying behind it to encourage each other to greater achievement in many situations. The great horse, known for its pride, strength and endurance among horses, and standing for many of the qualities to which groups and individuals should aspire, has given long and loyal service. The name WARHORSE has become synonymous with Devine High School; yet, there was a time when there was no DHS Warhorse.
The story behind the tradition goes back to the 1923-24 school year. It was the year of the school’s third football team. A young man named Robert Clyde Tate had come to DHS as a teacher and coach. The young coach had a nickname he had acquired during his college days— “WARHORSE.”
During the 1923 football season, fans and foes alike formed the habit of referring to the determined, hard-working coach as “Warhorse” and “Old Warhorse.”
The football team was dubbed “Warhorse’s Boys.”
Later during the year, the team was faced with the decision of selecting an official nickname for itself. A 1923 issue of Whirlwind (the DHS newspaper at the time) described the event, which occurred at a football banquet, in this way: “After much discussion, it was decided that in the future the Devine football team would be known as the ‘Warhorses’.”

Just thought you should know a little history of our Mascot.

SHSBulldog00
11-22-2011, 10:07 PM
Nice read Thanks for the History Lesson.

Sportshack
11-22-2011, 10:24 PM
One of the better mascots for a football team.

warhorsejoe
11-22-2011, 10:38 PM
I believe there are only two mascots in the nation named Warhorses and since it's a unique name for a mascot, I wanted people to know how we got that name.

That way you can say you saw it here first SHSBulldog. Lol
Thanks sportshack!

Gone Fishing
11-22-2011, 10:46 PM
One of the better mascots for a football team.

What? You kidding?

WARHORSE84
11-23-2011, 09:27 AM
Good read Joe, Thanks.

WARHORSE84
11-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Who is the other team in the nation with Warhorse as their mascot?

warhorsejoe
11-23-2011, 09:37 AM
Charles D. Owen High School-Owen High School's mascot is the Warhorse, and the school colors are maroon and grey. There are 68 teachers on the staff at OHS and the student to teacher ratio is 13:3. There are currently 14 teachers at Owen high school with the honor of having a National Board Certification.

YTBulldogs
11-23-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks Joe. Hope to meet ya Sat in Sinton along with several other 3ADL'ers?

M&G location known yet?

wimbo_pro
11-23-2011, 09:48 AM
I think its an excellent name for a mascot! Only 2nd to "Texans"!

Sportshack
11-23-2011, 02:10 PM
What? You kidding?

No chit man...a Warhorse sounds bad "A"!! Now they need to work on those uni's.

Gone Fishing
11-23-2011, 03:55 PM
No chit man...a Warhorse sounds bad "A"!! Now they need to work on those uni's.

TEXANS TEXANS TEXANS!!!!!! By the way if there is only two Warhorse mascots, it must not be to bad ass or there would be more of them.

Phil C
11-23-2011, 03:59 PM
Nice read Thanks for the History Lesson.

I totally agree. Thank you for sharing this.

Sportshack
11-23-2011, 07:22 PM
TEXANS TEXANS TEXANS!!!!!! By the way if there is only two Warhorse mascots, it must not be to bad ass or there would be more of them.

Play nice now GF...hopefully, you will have a chance next week to really get after old warhorsejoe and Los Owls, the ardent Devine supporters on this board. Of course, Devine is also facing one of the incredible, underestimated, really fast and athletic District 29 school teams this weekend just like us. It feels like both these undefeated teams are underdogs somehow. Ok....well...maybe Devine. :)

Gone Fishing
11-23-2011, 09:01 PM
Play nice now GF...hopefully, you will have a chance next week to really get after old warhorsejoe and Los Owls, the ardent Devine supporters on this board. Of course, Devine is also facing one of the incredible, underestimated, really fast and athletic District 29 school teams this weekend just like us. It feels like both these undefeated teams are underdogs somehow. Ok....well...maybe Devine. :)

Yes, I hope I have the chance to for sure. You say you are the worrier, then why am I worried? Would you please take the worry back... This District 29, I can't get off my mind!

warhorsejoe
11-23-2011, 09:20 PM
Yes, I hope I have the chance to for sure. You say you are the worrier, then why am I worried? Would you please take the worry back... This District 29, I can't get off my mind!

That would be fun but first thing first, Wharton. We need to get pass them then we can have fun next week. Lol