Caldwell* W 52-14
Smithville* W 47-18
Giddings* W 27-16

Playoffs

Navasota 40 Sealy 13
Navasota 44 Huffman 3

HEMOTOXIC
11-19-2011, 12:40 PM
This is a rematch game from last season. In 2010, Chapel Hill stunned Navasota early and never looked back wining 42-13. This will be Navasota's biggest test of the season. IMO, this game will be closer than the beat down of last season.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Sportshack
11-19-2011, 01:05 PM
The Rattlers certainly look like the real deal this year!!

regaleagle
11-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Wow, Hemo. You guys drew a great venue to play in. Argyle played there for Regional final in 2a against Troy, and my son said he was really impressed. We had a good time there. Of course, we won so that always makes the experience better. You guys are really impressive so far. This will be a great game.

HEMOTOXIC
11-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Wow, Hemo. You guys drew a great venue to play in. Argyle played there for Regional final in 2a against Troy, and my son said he was really impressed. We had a good time there. Of course, we won so that always makes the experience better. You guys are really impressive so far. This will be a great game.

Yeah, this is a great venue. Hopefully, the 5th consecutive trip to the Quarterfinals will be the charm.

Pudlugger
11-19-2011, 01:13 PM
Navasota has been on an upward slope improving each game as competition stiffened in mid season. Their offense is very balanced with speed and blocking in the running game and accuracy and athleticism in their passing attack. They have a very stingy pass defense and have had most of their improvement in defending against the run. I have not seen Chapel Hill play so all I have to go on is this board but they seem to win in close games to the stronger teams on their schedule and blow out the rest. They have a powerful productive offense and a defense that has consistently held up for wins in close games against strong teams. That is why they are ranked #1. The question is can they continue to get big wins in the close contests now that the competition has stiffened in the playoffs? It takes a tremendous amount of concentration to do so especially this time of year with the holidays and the attendant distractions. . I think they will have their hands full against the Rattlers and I will go with the upset. Navasota by a td.

HEMOTOXIC
11-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Of late, Navasota has been playing exceptional football. I guess that we are peeking at the right time. In order for us to beat CHILL, we will have to not be "star struck" like last season. It will take, smart football on both sides of the ball, an outstanding game plan from the coaches, some calls to go our way, and 110% effort from the players. We will have to not allow CHILL to intimidate us. We will have to play our game and not get away from that.

The fans remember 2010 and will be ready to show our support.

Go Snakes!

OldBison75
11-19-2011, 01:37 PM
I think this Navasota team is so much better than last year for many reasons, but the biggest is the play of the QB. Baker, the junior first year starter has been amazing all year. His leadership on the field and his uncanny ability to avoid mistakes and bad plays has stepped up the performance of the whole team. Turnovers are down drastically. The coach says that Baker is very good at reading the defense and checking off to what will work.

Baker is my candidate for all state right now and his stats are good enough to be player of the year if Navasota can keep the wins going this week.

Baker's passing stats for the year:

Passes attempted 244
Passes completed 169
Completion % 69.6
Yards passing 2740
Touchdowns passing 38
Interceptions 2

HEMOTOXIC
11-19-2011, 01:42 PM
I think this Navasota team is so much better than last year for many reasons, but the biggest is the play of the QB. Baker, the junior first year starter has been amazing all year. His leadership on the field and his uncanny ability to avoid mistakes and bad plays has stepped up the performance of the whole team. Turnovers are down drastically. The coach says that Baker is very good at reading the defense and checking off to what will work.

Baker is my candidate for all state right now and his stats are good enough to be player of the year if Navasota can keep the wins going this week.

Baker's passing stats for the year:

Passes attempted 244
Passes completed 169
Completion % 69.6
Yards passing 2740
Touchdowns passing 38
Interceptions 2

I agree. We have seen some very good Navasota teams over the past 5 years, and this year's version is my favorite. No flash, just come out and get it done. They aren't a smash mouth type of team but more of a finese type if you will. The things that they do, they do it well. As far as the defense goes, again, no big time Div 1 recruits, but they get the job done.

OldBison75
11-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Hemo, the term I use to describe the Rattlers this year is "blue collar". The come to the stadium ready to work and go out and do their jobs. They are consistent in the approach and don't ever stray far from the game plan. They have four good running backs, each with a different style but all effective. There are two top level receivers and several more that can burn you. The offensive line is not a bunch of big bruisers, but they open creases for the running game pretty effectively. On defense, they bend but don't break often. I have noticed that most scores against them have come on sustained drives and very few big play td's have been made against them. They are stronger at the db position than against the run, but they ain't bad against the run. They get stronger as the game goes on.

I just see the team as a group of hard working kids that keep doing the things they do best. They play as a team better than any Rattler team I have seen in the last five years. I hope this bodes well for this week's game.

HEMOTOXIC
11-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Hemo, the term I use to describe the Rattlers this year is "blue collar". The come to the stadium ready to work and go out and do their jobs. They are consistent in the approach and don't ever stray far from the game plan. They have four good running backs, each with a different style but all effective. There are two top level receivers and several more that can burn you. The offensive line is not a bunch of big bruisers, but they open creases for the running game pretty effectively. On defense, they bend but don't break often. I have noticed that most scores against them have come on sustained drives and very few big play td's have been made against them. They are stronger at the db position than against the run, but they ain't bad against the run. They get stronger as the game goes on.

I just see the team as a group of hard working kids that keep doing the things they do best. They play as a team better than any Rattler team I have seen in the last five years. I hope this bodes well for this week's game.

Blue Collar works for me.

Chillfan
11-19-2011, 04:10 PM
Should be a great game. I don't see this matchup being as lopsided at last year. Navasota has seem to really improve. CH was tested HARD last night and I think they may have been humbled just a bit. We had guys upset on the sideline just as LV. They felt just how close they came to being done with the season.

easttxsportsfan
11-19-2011, 06:19 PM
I think CH will win this game but it will be a very close game. I don't see a lopsided score like last year.

cowboyandchrist
11-19-2011, 09:57 PM
This will be a good ball game. If Chapell Hill will eliminate the turn overs, they win going away. This is the third round and every team left can win. All I know about the Rattlers is what I read on here. They sound like a well rounded team that play good on both sides of the ball. I still think Chapell Hill wins 35 to 21. Chapell Hills Defense is just to fast to the ball and the ofense can score on any play from any where on the field. God Bless

Saggy Aggie
11-19-2011, 10:02 PM
what kinda size does navasota have on the lines? That's gonna be the deciding factor. LV hung tough against CH because they matched up with the size and SPEED of both lines. Guys are huge and they move well.

Skill positions won't win this game alone for either team. If navasota can match up on the lines, it's gonna be a close game... If not chill will have their way.

navscanmaster
11-20-2011, 12:34 AM
To respond to both of you, Navasota has average to above average size on both lines. They are bigger than last year, but nowhere near as big as 08-09, when they averaged 280. However, they are quick on the lines and the linebackers are VERY fast and focused. I think Jaylin Minor and Josh Thomas should be looking at DI ball in some capacity. Jaylin translates to a DI safety, reminds me of Howard Matthews from Clear Springs last year. A ball hawking defender with speed to match his good size (I think 5'11 190). Navasota's defense plays well as a unit, pressures the QB, and plays good gap defense. Their speed in the secondary protects them from many big plays, although I can recall several instances where it could be the chink in the armor if not for some lucky drops by the opposition. I like them against the rush, and I can honestly say that they have improved every game against the rush since the 660 yard performance by Liberty Hill back in 07. They plug the middle, even with undersized LBs and ends, and when the runner bounces outside, the speed of the secondary and those same ends and OLBs is adequate to contain them.
On offense, well, I believe they are the most consistent and headsy group we have had in this great five year run. They make very few mistakes, especially on the line, and as evidenced by the above QB statistics, they throw it all over the place, and mostly out of the reach of the defense. Chapel Hill should be able to stop the "bread and butter" bubble screens, but the two big pass plays of 72 and 97 yards against Huffman were perfectly placed downfield throws. Baker gives you the leadership and coolness you like to see at QB, and he has a more than capable backup and part time RB in Jacob Malek that is probably the best overall player on the team. Solomon McGinty and Austin Collins have the speed and hands to punish any team that doesn't double team or otherwise account for them in the passing game. I think Solomon has a 50 plus type TD catch every single game. Xavier Creeks has the cuts, hands, and speed to break the big one on any touch, and Howard Horn, though back from injury, is the pounder between the tackles.

As for the game, Navasota has been here and lost four times in a row before this week. They have played number one twice (Liberty Hill in 07, and Gilmer in 09). Both teams went on to win state, and the other two (LaVega 08 and CH in 10) played in the title game. They are following the trend and playing number one in an odd year, but never have they faced the same team in the QF's. They have been amazing all year long, with one loss to a 4A district champ (which by the way came on the road, at the one yard line running out of time to get the snap off and tie the game.) I can sit here and type them up (get the pun) all night long, but they will have to go out and give it there all if they want to break the trend and see week 14.

pirate4state
11-20-2011, 12:58 AM
To respond to both of you, Navasota has average to above average size on both lines. They are bigger than last year, but nowhere near as big as 08-09, when they averaged 280. However, they are quick on the lines and the linebackers are VERY fast and focused. I think Jaylin Minor and Josh Thomas should be looking at DI ball in some capacity. Jaylin translates to a DI safety, reminds me of Howard Matthews from Clear Springs last year. A ball hawking defender with speed to match his good size (I think 5'11 190). Navasota's defense plays well as a unit, pressures the QB, and plays good gap defense. Their speed in the secondary protects them from many big plays, although I can recall several instances where it could be the chink in the armor if not for some lucky drops by the opposition. I like them against the rush, and I can honestly say that they have improved every game against the rush since the 660 yard performance by Liberty Hill back in 07. They plug the middle, even with undersized LBs and ends, and when the runner bounces outside, the speed of the secondary and those same ends and OLBs is adequate to contain them.
On offense, well, I believe they are the most consistent and headsy group we have had in this great five year run. They make very few mistakes, especially on the line, and as evidenced by the above QB statistics, they throw it all over the place, and mostly out of the reach of the defense. Chapel Hill should be able to stop the "bread and butter" bubble screens, but the two big pass plays of 72 and 97 yards against Huffman were perfectly placed downfield throws. Baker gives you the leadership and coolness you like to see at QB, and he has a more than capable backup and part time RB in Jacob Malek that is probably the best overall player on the team. Solomon McGinty and Austin Collins have the speed and hands to punish any team that doesn't double team or otherwise account for them in the passing game. I think Solomon has a 50 plus type TD catch every single game. Xavier Creeks has the cuts, hands, and speed to break the big one on any touch, and Howard Horn, though back from injury, is the pounder between the tackles.

As for the game, Navasota has been here and lost four times in a row before this week. They have played number one twice (Liberty Hill in 07, and Gilmer in 09). Both teams went on to win state, and the other two (LaVega 08 and CH in 10) played in the title game. They are following the trend and playing number one in an odd year, but never have they faced the same team in the QF's. They have been amazing all year long, with one loss to a 4A district champ (which by the way came on the road, at the one yard line running out of time to get the snap off and tie the game.) I can sit here and type them up (get the pun) all night long, but they will have to go out and give it there all if they want to break the trend and see week 14.

:2thumbsup good stuff! Good luck, Rattlers!

SHSBulldog00
11-20-2011, 01:00 AM
Why isn't this GOTW Already?

SintonFan_inAustin
11-20-2011, 01:01 AM
I have Navasota winning this region and the state title in the pick'ems. So Go Rattlers!

buckeyebob
11-20-2011, 05:24 AM
Just remember...

cowboyandchrist
11-20-2011, 07:20 AM
That was a good honest report, the only people that can give a team report like that are the Gilmer people, They do a good job on the Buckeyes even when they throw a few homer remarks in there. This reports makes me think this game could come down to who has the ball last. Nobody can stop Chapell Hill from scoring points and it sounds like the Rattlers can score with them. I wish I could see this game, but I gotta go and support my Dawgs, the Carthage Bull Dawgs. Carthage held Chapell Hill to 21 points, but that was without 4 starters to start the game and knocked the Q/B and RB out in the first quarter. God Bless and no injuries. I believe the winner of this game will face Henderson for the title.

Buff42
11-20-2011, 08:03 AM
Good luck Snakes. Everyone over here is rooting for you guys.

lostaussie
11-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Navasota has had some really good teams the last few years...........they just keep running into buzzsaw teams and cant get out of the region. If they ever do they may get themselves a ring. Unfortunatly its not gonna happen this year either. The Bulldogs are just too much.

regaleagle
11-20-2011, 12:29 PM
I'm sticking with my 'sleeper' team that I picked the first week of the playoffs to do what was thought to be the impossible at that time...beat Chapel Hill. Doesn't look so impossible now, does it? The Rattlers are poised to strike its deadly toxin into this vaunted opponent. We wil all be tuning in to the updates on this one.

Yoe_09
11-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Navasota(5-0/11-1)

26-Aug @Madisonville W 40-7
02-Sep @Willis L 35-28
09-Sep Rudder W 31-7
16-Sep @Cameron Yoe W 42-21
30-Sep Wharton W 54-0
07-Oct Rockdale* W 53-14
14-Oct La Grange* W 27-26
21-Oct @Caldwell* W 52-14
28-Oct Smithville* W 47-18
04-Nov @Giddings* W 27-16

Bi-District Sealy W 40-13
Area Hargrave W 44-3

Tyler Chapel Hill(4-0/12-0)

26-Aug @Westwood W 74-23
01-Sep Whitehouse W 59-49
09-Sep @Carthage W 21-20
16-Sep Hallsville W 29-22
23-Sep @Lindale W 51-29
30-Sep Center W 45-17
07-Oct Bullard* W 50-6
14-Oct @Brownsboro* W 49-21
21-Oct Rusk* W 51-7
04-Nov @Athens* W 64-7

Bi-District Jasper W 70-28
Area La Vega W 27-20

Thoughts?

radioman
11-20-2011, 07:35 PM
You can listen to the Navasota broadcast live on http://navasotanews.com/ or on your phone by downloading the RadioAggieland ap http://www.radioaggieland.com/.

This should be a heck of a game.

radioman
11-20-2011, 07:36 PM
You can listen to the Navasota broadcast live on http://navasotanews.com/ or on your phone by downloading the RadioAggieland ap http://www.radioaggieland.com/.

This should be a heck of a game.

buff4ever
11-21-2011, 11:11 AM
This will be a great game I think. Pulling for Navasota, I would guess they would be a 5 point underdog in this match up; but I think they can pull it out.

j_dog
11-21-2011, 05:21 PM
If CH plays like they did against Jasper, Navasota could be in trouble. If CH plays like they did against La Vega, CH could be in deep trouble. I think Navasota would capitalize better on the mistakes.

HEMOTOXIC
11-21-2011, 06:02 PM
It is one thing to have confidence in your team. But, some of the CHILL and Navasota fans on Sm**** are being down right obnoxious.

Navasota: We have played great football of late. As I stated before, we seem to be peeking at the right time. But, after the beat down that was given to us last season, why go on another site and embarrass not only yourself, but the team, and the communuty? Allow the players to do what they have been doing all year long and let their play do the all the talking.

CHILL:Sure, you have seen your team play all year long. Yes, they have been ranked in #1 just about all season, so, in a way, I guess that you deserve that right. But, nothing hasn't been won. After the La Vega game, a game in which most thought you guys would win going away, you barely escaped. Call it what you will, luck, counting your blessing, a wake up call, the game could have gone either way and you could have been sitting at home.

Let's try this. Make it to Friday without any injuries, win the game, win next week and the following week, then we will crown CHILL the champion. After seeing you guys play last year, I was confident that no one would beat you guys. Well, we all know what happened in 2010 not only to you guys, but to our Brownwood friends as well.

CHILL may very well beat Navasota. In fact, they may even blow Navasota out, again. Who knows. But, at this point, its the 3rd round of the playoffs and Navasota didn't get there because other teams rolled over for them. If we upset CHILL, you will not see me bashing CHILL in anyways. I will just move on and get ready for the next opponent.

I saw a CHILL fan mention that Navasota has made it to the QF's 5 years straight and so far has not gotten passed that round. Yes, that is correct. Some teams would love to make it that far 5 consecutive years, including CHILL. Heck, some teams would just love to make the playoffs. This fact of making it to the QF's 4 years in a row and not moving on is something that we are proud of at the same time we are not going to settle for just getting there. We will eventually make it pass that round, again. If not this year, maybe next. After all, we have a very young team.

Brief history recap so that some of the CHILL fans will know, since you made it a point to bring up our history:

Liberty Hill 48, Navasota 14 (LH won the championship)

La Vega 34, Navasota 28 OT ( LV loss in the championship)

Gilmer 42, Navasota 35 (Gilmer won Championship)

Chapel Hill 42, Navasota 13 (CH loss in the championship)

2011?

j_dog
11-21-2011, 10:12 PM
Good post. Navasota is going to break through some year, if not this year. Too good, too long for it not to happen.

Chillfan
11-21-2011, 10:46 PM
It is one thing to have confidence in your team. But, some of the CHILL and Navasota fans on Sm**** are being down right obnoxious.

Navasota: We have played great football of late. As I stated before, we seem to be peeking at the right time. But, after the beat down that was given to us last season, why go on another site and embarrass not only yourself, but the team, and the communuty? Allow the players to do what they have been doing all year long and let their play do the all the talking.

CHILL:Sure, you have seen your team play all year long. Yes, they have been ranked in #1 just about all season, so, in a way, I guess that you deserve that right. But, nothing hasn't been won. After the La Vega game, a game in which most thought you guys would win going away, you barely escaped. Call it what you will, luck, counting your blessing, a wake up call, the game could have gone either way and you could have been sitting at home.

Let's try this. Make it to Friday without any injuries, win the game, win next week and the following week, then we will crown CHILL the champion. After seeing you guys play last year, I was confident that no one would beat you guys. Well, we all know what happened in 2010 not only to you guys, but to our Brownwood friends as well.

CHILL may very well beat Navasota. In fact, they may even blow Navasota out, again. Who knows. But, at this point, its the 3rd round of the playoffs and Navasota didn't get there because other teams rolled over for them. If we upset CHILL, you will not see me bashing CHILL in anyways. I will just move on and get ready for the next opponent.

I saw a CHILL fan mention that Navasota has made it to the QF's 5 years straight and so far has not gotten passed that round. Yes, that is correct. Some teams would love to make it that far 5 consecutive years, including CHILL. Heck, some teams would just love to make the playoffs. This fact of making it to the QF's 4 years in a row and not moving on is something that we are proud of at the same time we are not going to settle for just getting there. We will eventually make it pass that round, again. If not this year, maybe next. After all, we have a very young team.

Brief history recap so that some of the CHILL fans will know, since you made it a point to bring up our history:

Liberty Hill 48, Navasota 14 (LH won the championship)

La Vega 34, Navasota 28 OT ( LV loss in the championship)

Gilmer 42, Navasota 35 (Gilmer won Championship)

Chapel Hill 42, Navasota 13 (CH loss in the championship)

2011?

Good post Hemo. There is a lot of rabbits being chased on s*o*k*

HEMOTOXIC
11-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Good post Hemo. There is a lot of rabbits being chased on s*o*k*

You are right... I was sitting at work reading the posts and couldn't believe some of what the Navasota following were saying. Seems to me, they are really young and don't know any better. I am glad they are keeping that non sense off 3adownlow, atleast for now.

Dog96
11-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Very Humbeled

HEMOTOXIC
11-22-2011, 01:44 PM
http://www.kbtx.com/sports/headlines/Community_Pep_Rally_For_The_Navasota_Rattlers_1343 18558.html

Community Pep Rally scheduled for Friday, November 25 @ 1:30pm.

defense51
11-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Going with Navasota in this one 22-21. I grew up in Tolar, and we were the Rattlers also. Gotta be a Rattler fan!!!

HEMOTOXIC
11-23-2011, 07:59 AM
3A Division I quarterfinal

7 p.m. Friday -- Floyd Casey Stadium, Waco

Records: Navasota 11-1 (5-0 in 23-3A); Chapel Hill 12-0 (4-0 in 17-3A)

Last year: Chapel Hill 42, Navasota 13

Last week: Navasota 44, Huffman Hargrave 3; Chapel Hill 27, La Vega 20

Streaks: Navasota 10 wins; Chapel Hill 12 wins

Radio: 1550 AM KWBC

Harris Ratings picks: Chapel Hill by 10 points

Next: The winner will play La Vernia (7-5) or West Columbia, who meet at 6 p.m. Friday at the Cypress' Berry Center

HEMOTOXIC
11-23-2011, 09:23 AM
Interesting fact:

The Willis factor?

This year marks the fifth time in history the Navasota football team has won 11 or more games. In one of those years (1988), the Rattlers lost to Willis on the second game of the season. Kevin Baker was the quarterback of the 1988 team that went to the state championship game. Kevin's son, Kadarius, is the junior quarterback on this team that also lost to Willis on the second game of the year.

1st and goal
11-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Good luck Rattlers! Bring home the regional championship!

HEMOTOXIC
11-23-2011, 07:39 PM
Good luck Rattlers! Bring home the regional championship!

Thanks. We are praying for a W!

Roughneck93
11-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Rattlers by 6! Good luck guys.

HEMOTOXIC
11-23-2011, 07:53 PM
Rattlers by 6! Good luck guys.

Thanks, good luck to WC as well.

toddg
11-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Good luck Rattlers!!!

navscanmaster
11-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Interesting fact:

The Willis factor?

This year marks the fifth time in history the Navasota football team has won 11 or more games. In one of those years (1988), the Rattlers lost to Willis on the second game of the season. Kevin Baker was the quarterback of the 1988 team that went to the state championship game. Kevin's son, Kadarius, is the junior quarterback on this team that also lost to Willis on the second game of the year.

Good mojo.

HEMOTOXIC
11-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Good mojo.

Got that from the Examiner...

OldBison75
11-23-2011, 09:06 PM
And, for those of you that don't remember, Kevin Baker was also a first year starter. He took over the job so that Rolando West, I believe it was, could move to running back where he gave the offense another dimension. This year, the QB job was between Malek and Baker, both very good, but Malek was too valuable in other roles as a running back and receiver to keep off the field and Baker was too good a passer and field general to be left out. So, Baker is the QB and Malek is the all purpose back/receiver that gives this offense so much diversity. It is this kind of mojo that will make you wonder. AND, the Rattlers lost in 1988 to SLC in Floyd Casey stadium in the semi-finals. Maybe that mojo will change.

venomous tat2
11-23-2011, 09:13 PM
And, for those of you that don't remember, Kevin Baker was also a first year starter. He took over the job so that Rolando West, I believe it was, could move to running back where he gave the offense another dimension. This year, the QB job was between Malek and Baker, both very good, but Malek was too valuable in other roles as a running back and receiver to keep off the field and Baker was too good a passer and field general to be left out. So, Baker is the QB and Malek is the all purpose back/receiver that gives this offense so much diversity. It is this kind of mojo that will make you wonder. AND, the Rattlers lost in 1988 to SLC in Floyd Casey stadium in the semi-finals. Maybe that mojo will change. UH it was the State Championship game , we beat Sweeney in the Semi Final 15 - 8

OldBison75
11-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Sorry about that, I was thinking championship and at the same time thinking about where we would be with a win this week and just went stupid. Yes, it was in the championship game. But, I think I got the rest correct, and if I missed something, v-tat can fill in and fix any errors, HE WAS THERE!!!!!!

OldBison75
11-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Myself, Navscanmaster, and my daughter are going to the game. Hope to see some friends there.

HEMOTOXIC
11-25-2011, 03:30 PM
Go SNAKES!

navscanmaster
11-25-2011, 04:47 PM
Getting ready to leave for Waco! Strike 'em fast and early Rattlers!