PDA

View Full Version : Carthage versus Argyle

cowboyandchrist
11-20-2011, 04:54 PM
I would like to here what the people from North Texas(other than Argyle) say about the Argyle team and what they will bring to this game. There are way to many preppy (homers) children from Argyle posting on Smoaky to find out anything.
The Dawgs will run and pass with time consuming drives, but can break one at anytime.
The D has been playing lights out, they will hit you and they are very fast to the ball.
The linebackers are 6ft 205, 6ft 1" 230, and 5ft 11" 185, they will run you down and hit you.Carthage did loose one of the starting linebackers, but the back up has played well the last three weeks. The D line is big and quick off the ball, the secondary can defend the pass and Mr. Pope is very good at supporting against the run.
Carthage has 9 sophmores starting, that are playing above their years and have gotten better with every snap of the ball. I believe Argyle should be favored to win this game because of the experience they have on both sides of the ball. If we win this game it will be because coach S found a weekness in Argyle. He is by far the best high school coach I have watched put young men in the right place at the right time. The Q/B from Argyle did a good job last year against the Dawgs and I assume he is better this year as a senior. What about the rest of the team. I believe this game will come down to the end of the fourth quarter and the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win. Carthage 28 Argyle 21 God Bless and no injuries

buckeyebob
11-21-2011, 06:29 AM
:iagree:

The voice of experience!

toddg
11-21-2011, 07:52 AM
if for some reason i dont make it to san angelo..i may go to this game..will be a great game..and its just a few miles down the road.

firstdown
11-21-2011, 08:40 AM
I would like to here what the people from North Texas(other than Argyle) say about the Argyle team and what they will bring to this game. There are way to many preppy (homers) children from Argyle posting on Smoaky to find out anything.
The Dawgs will run and pass with time consuming drives, but can break one at anytime.
The D has been playing lights out, they will hit you and they are very fast to the ball.
The linebackers are 6ft 205, 6ft 1" 230, and 5ft 11" 185, they will run you down and hit you.Carthage did loose one of the starting linebackers, but the back up has played well the last three weeks. The D line is big and quick off the ball, the secondary can defend the pass and Mr. Pope is very good at supporting against the run.
Carthage has 9 sophmores starting, that are playing above their years and have gotten better with every snap of the ball. I believe Argyle should be favored to win this game because of the experience they have on both sides of the ball. If we win this game it will be because coach S found a weekness in Argyle. He is by far the best high school coach I have watched put young men in the right place at the right time. The Q/B from Argyle did a good job last year against the Dawgs and I assume he is better this year as a senior. What about the rest of the team. I believe this game will come down to the end of the fourth quarter and the team that makes the fewest mistakes will win. Carthage 28 Argyle 21 God Bless and no injuries

Ok, first all the posters from Argyle over at your other home Smoaky are not a bunch of high school kids. I'm a member over there but I don't post because it's not productive. You can't talk football over there without being call called something that the responder believes to be clever or derogatory. Kinda just like you did to start your post.

That being said I expect a good game out of you guys. I haven't seen the Bulldogs this year but I believe by your description of Carthage that our roles have reversed. We were the young team last year and yours was the seasoned. When I watched Pope last year he didn't impress me at all, must of been a bad game because all reports are that he's the real deal...that's one player. We are loaded with size and speed on both sides of the ball. I highly doubt that you guys are more athletic than Proper and well you know how that turned out.

Argyle 35 Carthage 10

BuckeyeNut
11-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Don't care which one wins, Just play about 6-7 OT's and run out of gas for a week :cheerl:

toddg
11-21-2011, 10:04 AM
Don't care which one wins, Just play about 6-7 OT's and run out of gas for a week :cheerl:

:1popcorn:

Matthew328
11-21-2011, 10:23 AM
I think this will be a war....Argyle's playing really well at the moment but pick against Carthage at your own peril.....I think the Bulldogs find a way to win another close one setting up a rematch with Gilmer

Bullaholic
11-21-2011, 10:38 AM
I know only a little about Argyle, and nothing about Carthage. I think based on what I have seen---if Argyle can handle Prosper's athletes when it counted the most, they ought to be able to hang with Carthage's. I don't have enough "feel" to make a prediction, but I will say that if Carthage does not get on Argyle early---they will have trouble. They are an explosive "big play" offense with Aune throwing.

ctown81
11-21-2011, 10:55 AM
Ok, first all the posters from Argyle over at your other home Smoaky are not a bunch of high school kids. I'm a member over there but I don't post because it's not productive. You can't talk football over there without being call called something that the responder believes to be clever or derogatory. Kinda just like you did to start your post.

That being said I expect a good game out of you guys. I haven't seen the Bulldogs this year but I believe by your description of Carthage that our roles have reversed. We were the young team last year and yours was the seasoned. When I watched Pope last year he didn't impress me at all, must of been a bad game because all reports are that he's the real deal...that's one player. We are loaded with size and speed on both sides of the ball. I highly doubt that you guys are more athletic than Proper and well you know how that turned out.

Argyle 35 Carthage 10

I say Carthage by 14. As for Pope he's the real deal. There's not much a great DB can do when coaches gameplan not to throw to his side. It's like Revis. He will never lead the league in interceptions because very few will test him. I stopped at a gas station in Argyleon my way back from Windstar last night. The couple of fans I talked to said Argyle by 21. We shall see.

I had no idea i lived so close to Argyle so next season I plan to catch a few games.

firstdown
11-21-2011, 10:59 AM
I say Carthage by 14. As for Pope he's the real deal. There's not much a great DB can do when coaches gameplan not to throw to his side. It's like Revis. He will never lead the league in interceptions because very few will test him. I stopped at a gas station in Argyleon my way back from Windstar last night. The couple of fans I talked to said Argyle by 21. We shall see.

I had no idea i lived so close to Argyle so next season I plan to catch a few games.

Congrats on getting out of Winstar with enough to buy some gas. I hope it's a good game, good luck to you and your Dawgs.

firstdown
11-21-2011, 11:03 AM
I think this will be a war....Argyle's playing really well at the moment but pick against Carthage at your own peril.....I think the Bulldogs find a way to win another close one setting up a rematch with Gilmer

Matt if I remember you didn't think we could beat Prosper. Have you seen both teams play? My opinion is very biased in that I know nothing about Carthage other than the QB that killed us last year is gone and I'm from Argyle and will never repeat never pick against our boys.

ctown81
11-21-2011, 11:12 AM
Congrats on getting out of Winstar with enough to buy some gas. I hope it's a good game, good luck to you and your Dawgs.

Yeah I gassed up before I left. Actually stopped to talk football lol. Pitiful i know. If you want to see a full game. Go to youtube and type in Carthage vs Henderson 2011. That's the best game we played all year.(atleast that's what i've been told) Here's the thing, consistency has been an issue with us all season. In previous years, although we were underdogs many games we as fans thought we were two touchdowns better than everyone. This year we realize that we are not as good as previous years and every game has the potential to be a fight.

Gsquared
11-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Yeah I gassed up before I left. Actually stopped to talk football lol. Pitiful i know. If you want to see a full game. Go to youtube and type in Carthage vs Henderson 2011. That's the best game we played all year.(atleast that's what i've been told) Here's the thing, consistency has been an issue with us all season. In previous years, although we were underdogs many games we as fans thought we were two touchdowns better than everyone. This year we realize that we are not as good as previous years and every game has the potential to be a fight.
Ctown, I was at that Carthage/Henderson game this year, the Dogs looked really really good. Saw Argyle this last week and they looked really really good. I think this one could be an instant classic!!!!

SHSBulldog00
11-21-2011, 11:20 AM
I'm gonna say 42-28 Carthage. Edward Pope will get 2 picks http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-merv/crystalball.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Matthew328
11-21-2011, 11:32 AM
Matt if I remember you didn't think we could beat Prosper. Have you seen both teams play? My opinion is very biased in that I know nothing about Carthage other than the QB that killed us last year is gone and I'm from Argyle and will never repeat never pick against our boys.

Actually I picked Argyle to beat Prosper, here is the proof.

http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1294327

Haven't seen either team in person but watched portions of several games on Hudl and DSV. At least you admit you are biased and I respect that, but also keep in mind because you are biased your opinion of this game is to be taken with an incredibly large grain of salt as well.

Prosper has athletes yes, but Prosper lacks discipline and they lack toughness in the trenches. All areas Argyle can and will exploit time after time. Carthage although probably not quite as fast at the skill spots as Prosper is plenty fast enough, Carthage when punched is more than happy to punch back and you can't win the titles Carthage has without poise and discipline.

ctown81
11-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Ctown, I was at that Carthage/Henderson game this year, the Dogs looked really really good. Saw Argyle this last week and they looked really really good. I think this one could be an instant classic!!!!

I love instant classics. Just not when my team is involved lol. I know this will be a close game and if we pull it off, i think we beat Gilmer if they advance also. Btw, look forward to your shows every week. You guys really do your homework and unfortunately that's rare with high school radio personalities.

firstdown
11-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Actually I picked Argyle to beat Prosper, here is the proof.

http://theoldcoach.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1294327

Haven't seen either team in person but watched portions of several games on Hudl and DSV. At least you admit you are biased and I respect that, but also keep in mind because you are biased your opinion of this game is to be taken with an incredibly large grain of salt as well.

Prosper has athletes yes, but Prosper lacks discipline and they lack toughness in the trenches. All areas Argyle can and will exploit time after time. Carthage although probably not quite as fast at the skill spots as Prosper is plenty fast enough, Carthage when punched is more than happy to punch back and you can't win the titles Carthage has without poise and discipline.

Sorry must of been the other Matt, and by the way that grain of salt, it sure helped the crow taste better last year when they beat us.:)

regaleagle
11-21-2011, 11:58 AM
I've been watching full game films of Carthage, Gilmer, and Hendeson. Nothing has convinced this fan by the game film I watched that either Argyle or Celina should do anything differently to win against these teams. Oh, sure the Coaches will throw in a few wrinkles here and there to keep them off-balance, but as far as size, speed, physical play, and skill players are concerned, Arglye matches up in all categories. And we have the big play threat at any given time. And we have Austin Aune. And we have that offensive right side. And we have a very good defense. And we have a burning desire to win this one. And most of all, we have respect of what Carthage has accomplished. I think we will be ready for them. We are healthy and ready to rumble. Let's play sum football, boyz!

oldtownag
11-21-2011, 12:24 PM
This will be a huge test for the bulldogs. I saw Argyle play 2 times last year and they were the real deal. My guess is they are better this year.

As far as the bulldogs go, they have won 20 playoff games in a row. Expect them to pull out another one this week.

Argyle 20, Carthage 28

lostaussie
11-21-2011, 12:51 PM
This one is going to be a slobberknocker!!

BILLYFRED0000
11-21-2011, 12:57 PM
I agree. Argyle and Carthage are both tough. It looks like a coin toss to me.

hollywood
11-21-2011, 03:18 PM
Haven't seen Carthage play this year but know they are a big enough school that can reload with talent. And with the coaching staff they have, are a force to be respected. Found that out last year! :D

As for Argyle, I watched the Argyle/Sanger game on TV. Argyle pretty much dominated a solid team who lost to Celina in the first round. Aune is the real deal from what I saw. Argyle is very physical and will hit hard. Defense flies to the ball. Executes very well on offense.

This should be an instant classic as it was mentioned earlier.

Going out on a limb and picking Argyle by 3.

Good luck to both.

LionFan72
11-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Should be a classic game! When two evenly matched teams play, the field possition and turnover/penalty ratio will change the game. I feel that Argyle is hungry this year and will push a little harder and the lack of experience on Carthage's young team may bit them this week. Sure wish I could be there, gonna be an epic battle. Gonna go with Argyle +7. Rough road ahead either way, don't leave it all on the field, there is a game next week! Hope for an injury free game!

Tom Foolery
11-22-2011, 12:27 PM
I want to know how you can tell from a post on Smoaky that the "children" in Argyle are preppy. What is your definition of "preppy"? This will be a very close game. Argyle has the advantage in the kicking game and this might be the difference. Argyle 27 - 21.

regaleagle
11-22-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm going to state that IMO confidence level for all playoff teams plays a significant role, esp. in close games. The East Texas teams have enjoyed that advantage in the past simply because of the level of competition they have faced during the season. And with success in the playoffs on a regular basis, teams like Carthage, Celina, Cuero, and others naturally have that mental advantage. But this year, I believe Argyle will display this same intangible if the game needs to be won at the end. I don't believe Carthage can say that their playoff experience is that much of an advantage anymore against this Argyle team. I could be wrong, but we'll just have to wait and see if it becomes an issue. I'm thinking the Eagles are very confident, and will play accordingly.